• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fat Gandalf's Bar & Lounge (OOC chat) - Chapter One

Oh.  And, @Psychie?  I recently saw this picture and I couldn't help but think, "I bet that's the way Toph might feel inside if somebody approached her and said, 'Hey, a little girl like you shouldn't be trying to fly big mechs.'"  Am I wrong?

(Spoiler contains reaction.  NSFW.  =)  )  

55bed431d0c5cca0386710efb6ea0e1e.jpg

(Image credit:  Pinterest )

lol  You know it!  Love the pic.  Thanks, Dann.

@Sherwood Oh my gosh.  That was awesome!  Hey, Sherwood!  How about Mario telling General Steel how he really feels, huh?  What a great post from Mario!  He even cussed.  =)

Quick question, @Dannigan.  How much is public knowledge of what Mario and Shirley went through?  Besides what was mentioned in the video and by the Colonel?  Is there talk about Mario losing his mecha in the fight?

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick question, @Dannigan.  How much is public knowledge of what Mario and Shirley went through?  Besides what was mentioned in the video and by the Colonel?  Is there talk about Mario losing his mecha in the fight?

@Psychie Concerning public knowledge, remember that it only happened yesterday and your characters have been quite busy since then (adventuring, talking to machines that they shouldn't be able to talk to, sleeping, healing, fixing embarrassing typos, you know).  Having said that...

From what Toph can tell, much of Eglin ASC base seems to know that the "Battle at Mile Marker 25" took place and that ASC came out big winners.  Those who have heard are really cheering about it.  You can count on folks near Anniston Alabama finding out soon (after the school staff and children return).  Yes, there is talk about the tank blowing up, but most of the talk is happy-talk (given that the pilot survived; not much is known about him except that he's a new A.T.A.C. guy named Mario).  

Many specifics aren't known since this is Big Topic #2 on base (Big Topic #1 being, well, the T-3 tornado that caused a swath of destruction through Alabama and into Florida before it dissipated).  Since this morning, Toph is likely to have learned that Shirley Mackenzie is apparently a fairly well known name around base (she's been stationed at Eglin for some time; she has a reputation for being a terrific singer out of California and one hell of a close air support pilot here at Eglin; the people cheering her name are the ones whose lives she's saved and their friends, not just the Ghost Riders).  So, most of the Eglin folks seem to be talking about her involvement.  No one seems to know that Shirley had someone else in her trainer (Reggie) or that Mario sprained his ankle.  Only a few folks have mentioned Hairball's involvement (with a number of reactions given his longtime reputation for being a reliable destroid veteran with more than a few screws loose upstairs; people blame this on the war).

You can probably count on the video making the rounds very, very soon.  Then, more details will be known by more people.  Eglin base is like a small town; news like this spreads fast.  Besides all that, many folks need to get their minds off of the devastating damage done by the T-3 and onto something happier (like the deaths of a whole bunch of Malcontents no one knew about and the saving of a lot of people still alive to tell about it).

@Sherwood  Oh, and by now, I imagine that Mario's injured ankle is giving him enough to scream about without General Steel's help.  Not like it suddenly healed between the time he had his interview and now, especially after that long, long walk down the runway.

Responded. Perhaps Hercules will be happy to be returned back to Legend squad...

Captain Hesperus 

I'll be honest, I don't know how Hercules will be able to stay on currently. In my head, he's starting to get the feeling that General Steel is a 'murdering officer' who's willing to see every man and woman under his command and every civilian within a fifty mile radius dead before a single one of his mecha so much as gets scratched, rather than a 'killing officer' who'd lead troops to their deaths and feel guilt for each and every death that occurs. I really hope that's wrong, otherwise ol' Herc's going to be hauling his big self up into a transport bird back to the land of olives and ouzo.

Captain Hesperus

Good ol' Herc isn't the only one with his misgivings about General Steel (the first general I ever created).  I hope this next scene answers some questions.

Oh, and good on Herc!  =)

-All.  Catch up in-game if you please, then open the spoiler.  =)

Kobayashi Maru. Any fans of Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan will know exactly what is meant by this.  All others, proceed to learn.  =)

This is what I meant by "it is possible for you to fail the challenge."  

At first, it seemed as if you had failed by your own actions when in fact, General Steel had you failed.  He washed you out.  Had Herc and Toph kept their mouths shut, they too would have very likely been outed one way or the other.  That was the point of the assembly.  Not that everyone involved knew about it or still knows about it.  

Now, at the end of the runway, with nothing to lose and the option to speak to him freely, Steel gets to see each of your characters in their true light.  

Was it nice or fair of him to do this to each of you?  Definitely not.  But that's not Steel's style (as you have seen).

My point is this  - Had each of your characters followed the paths of the obsequious, groveling recruits, cowed by General Steel's reputation of mercilessness and coldheartedness, you would have failed.  Make no mistake; you would be down there with them.  But look how each of your characters answered.  How each character stood up for what was right.  You can imagine how different my post would have been if each of you had buckled under and kissed the general's boots to save your own hides.  Yes, the game would have continued, but (again, as you can imagine) in a different direction.  A vastly different direction, I imagine.

Congratulations on "beating" the Kobayashi Maru, the no-win situation.  Bonus xp for your excellent roleplaying has been awarded.  =)

Sherwood (as Mario) sez, "What does this mean?  I have to remember to talk to the LT about this ASAP, and hope that she doesn't think that I'm just a whakadoodle."  

It's O.K., Sherwood!  If she doesn't, I'LL think you're a wackadoodle for her.  =)  What are friends for, right?  8D

(Definition for wackadoodle, which I had to look up because I didn't know it.)

wackadoodle-vs-wackjob-meaning_0.jpg

(Image credit:  Alvin Alexander)

I feel the love.

On a side note, I had no idea that someone actually came up with a definition of a wackadoodle. People have too much time in their hands.

Heya All!  Once again, please catch up on in-game then open this spoiler, if you please!

About three weeks ago, I told Cap'n this (bold and underline mine):

Cap'n sez, " Then CSM Powers returned, trailed by the GMPs..."  Heya, good Cap'n!  I need to point out - this line is incorrect; the Eglin Military Police present are not GMPs.  It should also be noted that the GMP are not present at this assembly (including among the recruits).

Per the 2nd Edition Robotech Masters Sourcebook, "The Global Military Police is a combination of internal ASC police force, international police and espionage organization."  (Bold mine.)  My understanding is (and correct me if I'm wrong, please!), the GMP are highly-trained "super-cops" out there to specifically take on big bad guys like the Anti-Unification League and the Malcontents (all enemies of the United Earth Government).  In my game, the Eglin ASC Military Police are a more "mundane" (for lack of better word) branch of law enforcement typical to every ASC base out there.  When in doubt, the ASC Military Police answer to the GMPs (especially in cases of anti-UEG espionage, etc.).

Put another way, if Mackenzie had been chased by the GMPs instead of the MPs, only God knows what the result would have been.  =)  

Would you edit your post to reflect this, please?  =)

So, Cap'n, just to let you know, there are STILL no GMP present at this assembly except for those three guys here I "forgot" to mention!  Har-dee-har-har!  Of course, if I had, the whole scene would have been blown.  Sorry to mislead you, good Cap'n!  Hope you enjoyed the scene!  =)

Psychie sez, "I'm assuming that Mario's limp is visible to me from my Perception roll and medical skills. If not, I'll remove my last part of the post."

- Psychie.  If you mean "...from your Perception bonus..." then yes (as I didn't make or call for a roll).  =)  More to the point, Sherwood didn't write anything about Mario trying to hide his injury from the rest of you in the general's car.  He even popped a painkiller right there.  That gives me the impression Mario is only trying to hide the injury from those-who-might-disqualify-him (Steel and the interviewers.  Boy, that sounds like the name of a poor pop band).  

As for Toph taking a look at it, Toph would know that unless she came to this assembly with a medical kit (which I would think she would leave it at her quarters for a special occasion like this), there really isn't much Toph or anyone can do about the ankle unless you get to a clinic (ice and bandage it up; keep it compressed) or Eglin's medical facilities (use electronic technology to make certain it's only a sprain, i.e. nothing's torn or ruptured down there).  The main thing Mario's ankle needs is lots of rest and to keep the leg elevated above the heart.  In other words, get him a wheelchair like Reggie's and they can hang out and get to know each other!  =)

I should have been more specific to say Mario should come see her at the hospital to get his ankle examined to mage sure that there is no fractures and to get the limb properly taped up. I would not have my doctor's bag at this assembly.

It's O.K., Psychie.  Now that Mario and Elinor have been in each other's heads, Toph and Hitomi have twice the reason to get the both of them to the hospital...  and afterward, the Funny Farm.  =)

(Spoiler contains something silly. =) )

4504bc12289e1f83bb86fa259c2722fc.jpg
(Image credit:  Pinterest )

Hercules has accidentally fractured three ribs of 'Lt. Shan' with his 'friendly hug of forgiveness', AKA 'the friendly hug of "I could kill you with this much kindness"'.

Captain Hesperus

Ha ha ha!! I love it!  I'll allow it - three cracked ribs for the all-deserving "GiMP!"

Cap'n, that is so damned funny!  Ha! =)

Too bad that Toph isn't on duty at the hospital now; she could order a rectal exam on "Lt. Shan".

That'd be a pain in the butt for a pain in the butt!  =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back