• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fat Gandalf's Bar & Lounge (OOC Chat) - Chapter Nine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Psy's post seemed to be pretty well on point, so I was going to just go with it.

Alrighty, I'll definitely get a post up - just figured I'd give the others a day or two to add anything to Psy's post.

That's thoughtful of you! =)

Hey, Purr Purr - I was just typing part of my post, and ran into a question: See, Ylva happens to have Computer Programming. Would that by chance help her to notice possible loopholes in the directives she wants to give? Because reading Toph's response, it kind of begs the question "what if the core figures that mankind itself happens to be an enemy of Earth?", at least for me. So I kind of want to make things more precise, but Ylva might do a much better job than I will. So the question would be if I can back up whatever I want to do with her programming experience.

See, Ylva happens to have Computer Programming. Would that by chance help her to notice possible loopholes in the directives she wants to give?
Silanon Silanon Loopholes? Maybe (depends on what you're going for when you say "loopholes"). But understanding what a protocol (not directives, but protocol) is in the first place? Definitely!

So I kind of want to make things more precise, but Ylva might do a much better job than I will. So the question would be if I can back up whatever I want to do with her programming experience.
Again, maybe. I am not sure exactly what you're aiming to do? Let's Talk Shop here and see if I'm following you.

Let's go a little deep into this, shall we (because roleplaying is fun - even this aspect of it!)? =)
1. The first thing Ylva can pat herself on the back for here is... choosing to use her education combined with her love of science to further her understanding. Every Traverser, PC or NPC, comes at Traversing their own way. You've specifically asked me to, first, call upon one of Ylva's Skills, and second, select a Skill that happens to have a lot to do with machines (at least modern machines) - computer programming!

2. Secondly, directives aside, let's talk a little about protocol from a coding (computer programming) perspective. Per Britannica, "protocol, in computer science, a set of rules or procedures for transmitting data between electronic devices, such as computers. In order for computers to exchange information, there must be a preexisting agreement as to how the information will be structured and how each side will send and receive it." (bold theirs) Ylva knows this and being 9th level, she knows it well enough for the concept not to be brand-new to her. That "such as computers" here is important; notice it doesn't say "only computers." From a Traversing perspective and from what time she's had in Professor Stein's classes, Ylva can reason that Core protocol is "what a Core might use to interact with other computers or other things (like humans or even the rest of the world).

3. In the world of coding (from what I understand of it), only a real dummy starts changing existing protocol without looking first into why that protocol was put there in the first place. Think of protocol as a map and every Core as a vehicle that uses that one map to get around and communicate/interact with things outside of itself. I'm bringing up existing protocol to address Psychie's point - the Mjolnirs have a protocol. Now have Ylva think to how the Mjolnirs got that protocol? Who put it there? Now... why that protocol and why is it specifically worded that way (I add that last point because words matter to computers even more than they matter in human interactions, but that's really another subject).

Because reading Toph's response, it kind of begs the question "what if the core figures that mankind itself happens to be an enemy of Earth?", at least for me.
Here's the clincher. Who created the Mjolnirs? Does that protocol allow the Mjolnirs to attack humans? If so, why allow something like a Mjolnir to attack humans? Can Ylva reach the proper conclusion to these questions? And so forth. Possibly more importantly, does Ylva really want to get deep into this right now, given what's going on?

5. Since Ylva has approached this specifically with computer programming and being the scientist that she is, Ylva can take away that the Prototype Logan, having no protocol (almost wrote "protoculture!" Whoops!), means it has no idea what to do or why it's here. If you've seen the original movie, Tron, this might make sense. This doesn't mean the Prototype can't act; it means it's relying completely on Ylva to tell it what to do until it has a protocol of its own.

Bottom line: Ylva can answer this question of protocol now or put it off as she sees fit. However, keep one thing in mind - at this time, the only Traverser talking to this Prototype Logan is Ylva! Nobody else is linked into it! That's not likely to change unless someone else Traverses with it. Until then, the ball is completely in Ylva's court.

Bonus: And... aren't you glad right now that Trouble, while mentally-able to perform telepathy, isn't a Traverser? "Yer protocols iz to feeeeesh! Git lots an' lots of feeeesh! Oh yeah. An' help da good guys. Dat's us."

How's that for a protocol for you?! Hah!

Silanon Silanon Oh! Whoops! That's what I get for reading and answering OOC first before seeing in-game (which was posted later)!

"Your protocol is..." A deep breath, and a quiet prayer to get this right. "Your protocol is to protect the Broadsword and its rightful crew from harm, and to assist its crew in accomplishing its task of protecting mankind and its allies against the threats of terrorism, the AUL and Zeki-Zentraedi, Invids and other domestic or foreign threats - as well as in other tasks that the Broadsword's command or its traversers deem necessary. Linking with me will help us to protect the Broadsword's elite squad Adamantium from as much harm as still possible; and will allow us to get the resources to eventually help Commander Kirin, a goal of highest priority."
Okay! Ylva has told this to Munin! =)

And in here, she has to busy herself with... semantics. Talk about unexpected troubles with a Logan - and she thought she'd seen it all, back in Stockholm... and now what?
Traverser problems! Oh noes! Hah! =) The idea that she thought she'd seen it all back in Stockholm and now has this whole new (Blue?) world to figure out just tickles me! =)

Well, I typed half of the post, then asked the question - and then figured I'd type down the rest of the idea in my mind. And then I kinda figured that that's probably the best she'd come up with given the situation. I'm not sure if it's wise to not just say "do what the Mjolnirs do", but i figured that for now, the things she said should do the trick. And honestly, "do it like the Mjolnirs" feels too simple. Maybe there'll be time for more philosophical core discussion later on? Might be her cup of tea, actually. What I mostly meant to ask is whether she'd notice if she screws up too badly, but I formulated the question in a way that I figured it'd make more sense if I get the post up as well. Anyways: The things you wrote are very much in line with how I understood the situation, so it's all good - only that i made you write all that just to find my post moments later, sorry for that!

Hah! No worries, Sil!

Writing that out was good fun, and I am of an opinion that having fun is never a waste of time. =)

Initiative & Perception Bonuses, Initiative Order, and Action Sequence.
Hercules +2/+1: 19. Action 2/10. Traversed with Toothgnasher.
Mario +3/+2: 14. Action 2/12. Traversing with Toothgrinder.
Toph +5/+8: 12. Action 2/8. Traversed with Freki.
Ylva +9/+9: 11. Action 2/11. Traversing with Munin.
Shirley +6/+3: 23! Action: 3/8 - Gave orders, Traversed with Geri, created Polyphonic Nexus.
Cera +6/+5: 22! Action 3/8 - Traversed with Geri, giving detailed warning to Broadsword.

Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Go for it!

Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus Kaerri Kaerri Psychie Psychie Sherwood Sherwood Silanon Silanon

Heya Gang! I recently read through my steps for Character Leveling and realize it's not quite worded the way I want it, so... I have updated my Leveling Guide for Robotech Broadsword with clearer explanations of how I want Robotech: Broadsword to run! I have also added a new option for anyone out there who doesn't want to add Attribute Points to their Character to instead add an additional d6 S.D.C. for that Level.

Share your thoughts if you would? =)

Oh, I meant to respond to your question: I was doing fine with your old post, but the new one's good! And you know I never mind more options, even though I like my attributes too much to make use of that one, I feel.

Heya Gang! I recently read through my steps for Character Leveling and realize it's not quite worded the way I want it, so... I have updated my Leveling Guide for Robotech Broadsword with clearer explanations of how I want Robotech: Broadsword to run! I have also added a new option for anyone out there who doesn't want to add Attribute Points to their Character to instead add an additional d6 S.D.C. for that Level.
If we were doing more gaming without using the megasuits or MDC weapons, having a higher SDC and Hit Point score would be more important. As it is, I see the option of getting another 1d6 SDC nice, but I will still most likely use the point in my stats somewhere.

As it is, I see the option of getting another 1d6 SDC nice, but I will still most likely use the point in my stats somewhere.
Absolutely! I'm bringing this up for those folks who don't think their Character is accurately portrayed.

Using Cera as an example. Cera has never been a charismatic person, so I doubt I will ever up her Mental Affinity. But if I run out of points down the road, what option is there?

This way, you can simply not spend the extra Attribute point, or spend it in S.D.C where it may have some kind of value. =)

Heya Gang! I hope to post within the next 24 hours in both Sharseya and Robotech: Broadsword. Stay safe and keep learning! =)

Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus
"I'll start with a round ten meters beyond the front edge of the cloud, set to detonate at a vertical height of 20 meters. That should shake some stuff up and possibly disperse some of the cloud cover. Be ready to tag any targets that are exposed."
I don't think MPAT rounds can do this? I'm going to need something concerning MPAT rounds being able to "airburst" instead of detonate upon impact. Last I heard, only explosive fuzes made/modified to explode prior to impact can do that, and they have to be modified prior to being fired.

Last I heard, only the AMP round can do that and... it's badass! It's got a data-link that can airburst. We have to find a way to get these 120mm AMP rounds into our game! =)

Still, there's nothing saying Herc can't get a similar effect by just putting the round 10 meters beyond the front edge of the Red Thunder cloud. The cloud is traveling through a plain more or less which makes them highly visible and mobile (for snow and ice), but there's no concealment or cover from terrain (just the cloud itself).

Captain Hesperus Captain Hesperus

I don't think MPAT rounds can do this? I'm going to need something concerning MPAT rounds being able to "airburst" instead of detonate upon impact. Last I heard, only explosive fuzes made/modified to explode prior to impact can do that, and they have to be modified prior to being fired.

Last I heard, only the AMP round can do that and... it's badass! It's got a data-link that can airburst. We have to find a way to get these 120mm AMP rounds into our game! =)

Still, there's nothing saying Herc can't get a similar effect by just putting the round 10 meters beyond the front edge of the Red Thunder cloud. The cloud is traveling through a plain more or less which makes them highly visible and mobile (for snow and ice), but there's no concealment or cover from terrain (just the cloud itself).
I was under the impression that MPAT comes with an integral proximity sensor. Herc isn’t setting a point for the round to detonate, he’s firing at a point of reference in the cloud and hoping the sensor finds something to cause it to explode.

EDIT TO ADD: I reread it and you’re right.

Captain Hesperus

Last edited:
O.K. This is the first I've heard of a sensor in an MPAT (though I'm no expert on tank rounds). I thought it was fuze-based. Per army.mil:

"The MPAT round has a two-position fuze, ground and air, that must be manually set." (bold theirs)

EDIT: Still, I see what Herc's attempting. =)

Hope to post later today. Real Life strikes! =)

Initiative & Perception Bonuses, Initiative Order, and Action Sequence.
Hercules +2/+1: 19. Action 3/10. Traversed with Toothgnasher. - Scored mightily with MPAT against the Red Thunder cloud!
Mario +3/+2: 14. Action 2/12. Traversing with Toothgrinder.
Toph +5/+8: 12. Action 2/8. Traversed with Freki.
Ylva +9/+9: 11. Action 2/11. Traversing with Munin.
Shirley +6/+3: 23! Action: 3/8 - Gave orders, Traversed with Geri, created Polyphonic Nexus.
Cera +6/+5: 22! Action 3/8 - Traversed with Geri, giving detailed warning to Broadsword.

Purr Purr , I want to also use an Action Point to get the best possible results, please!

EDIT: I marked the AP off of my sheet already.

Mario smiles, saying through the link, "Excellent shot, Herc! Lets see if I can hold up my own end of the fight!" Since he's seen particle beams coming from inside the cloud, the tanker does his best to calculate the point of origin for one as he lays down some fire with the main gun of Toothgrinder. "MPAT downrange! Firing!"
Sherwood Sherwood O.K. Mario is trying to track the particle beam blasts back to their sources and fire there (correct me if I'm wrong). Then he is firing an MPAT from Toothgrinder. So... do you...

...want to spend the Action Point on the (before-now-quietly-rolled-and-not-mentioned) Perception Check or...

...spend it on the target Mario ends up deciding on (his Strike with the 120mm MPAT)?

...want to spend the Action Point on the (before-now-quietly-rolled-and-not-mentioned) Perception Check or...
I'll do this, so I can have the best chance of being able to spot a target(s) and let them have it with my standard to-hit roll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back