• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fat Gandalf's Bar & Lounge (OOC chat) - Chapter Five

Status
Not open for further replies.
That you guys have decided on Wui Wing Chun for Cera. That's something! I like it! How unexpected! =)

If you don't mind, let me share a few thoughts with you about Wing Chun in Robotech: Broadsword.

1. Perhaps it is because I am male; I've never seen Wui Wing Chun, either in books or in theatre or in a kwoon (Chinese for school). I know only of Wing Chun. It was Bruce Lee's first martial system, taught to him by Ip Man while Lee lived in Hong Kong. There are elements of Wing Chun in Jeet Kune Do.

2. Wui Wing Chun in Ninjas & Superspies and Wing Chun as I know it in Real Life differ in a few ways, but are very close in most others. Wing Chun does not have quite so many kicks as Wui Wing Chun. Wing Chun clearly accepts men as students.

3. Concerning Wing Chun's history, it may be the first-ever martial art system created by a woman. Legend says, during China's feudal times, there was a woman who lived in the countryside who had attracted the eye of a noble. He desired her and he expressed his desire to have her as his wife. She politely declined. So the man challenged her to a duel. She accepted and she won. She handed down her system until she passed away. What is now in the Ip Man movies (by the excellent Donnie Yen) is Wing Chun today.

You've seen Wing Chun before in this video I shared with you.

While they call the other fighter's system "Muay Thai," I am not convinced. It reminds me of the "Muay Thai" used in the Ong Bak films which, while wonderfully cinematic, is far from reality.

This video (under 5 minutes) is a good example of what I think of Wing Chun, complete with good manners, intelligent fighters, and compassionate students.

So, I've decided to use Wui Wing Chun's system exactly as it is in Ninjas & Superpies, using this cinematic Wing Chun as example. You know. Because I like my players to have a good idea of what the martial path they have chosen for their characters is like, from its traditions, to its customs, to the people that study it. Even if it is only cinema. =)

EDIT: I've had the impression for some time that I'm the only martial artist in most of the games I play here on RpN. I do appreciate you not seeming to mind me going off on the subject, though. Thanks for putting up with me, friends. =)

Last edited:
So... Concerning Cera's skills, Energy Pistol, Energy Rifle, and Gymnastics are unanimous! Thanks for that. =)

However, I have run into two roadblocks:

1. R.C.C. Related skills are basically the "Other" skills your characters enjoy for your O.C.C.s. Secondary skills, on the other hand, are quite different than "Other" skills for two important reasons: only certain skills can be selected as Secondary skills and, being largely self-taught, secondaries do not enjoy any "Other" percentages bonuses (see Shadow Chronicles, page 149 for details). They start only at their base rate plus I.Q. bonus (if any).

2. Robot Electronics requires Computer Programming, which Cera lacks (but can get via Secondary skills).

Fortunately, I made the system so that folks could use Secondary skills toward martial systems (in this case, four of them went to Wui Wing Chun). =)

What this boils down to is this - Cera hsa one of two paths, one that needs a little more help from you, and one that doesn't. There, of course, is a third path - another that you three decide to recommend to Cera. I'm just putting this together to put us all on the same page. =)

Path 1
RCC Related
Slot 2:
Aerospace Engineer (from Macross Saga Sourcebook)
Slot 3: Military History
Slot 4: Locksmith (this is a skill Cera is interested in because it lets her break into secure places while protecting her own. She could "bypass" doors for you. Of course, you can replace it.)

Secondary Skills
Slot 1: Hand to Hand: Wui Wing Chun
Slot 2: Hand to Hand: Wui Wing Chun
Slot 3: Hand to Hand: Wui Wing Chun
Slot 4: Hand to Hand: Wui Wing Chun
Slot 5: First Aid (another skill Cera is interested in because it's bad to be an adventurer without it, plus it's one of the few useful secondary skills for her. Of course, you can replace it.)
Slot 6: Sensory Equipment

Path 2
RCC Related
Slot 2:
Robot Mechanics
Slot 3: Robot Electronics
Slot 4: Artificial Intelligence

Secondary Skills
Slot 1: Hand to Hand: Wui Wing Chun
Slot 2: Hand to Hand: Wui Wing Chun
Slot 3: Hand to Hand: Wui Wing Chun
Slot 4: Hand to Hand: Wui Wing Chun
Slot 5: Computer Programming
Slot 6: Sensory Equipment

I'm inclined to vote for a mix of the two.

My first choice is Path 2, but replacing Artificial Intelligence with Military History. I suppose I'm just hung up on that one. ^;3^ I did look at Locksmith when coming up with my first list, but the "breaking into things" part I thought could get done with Traversing, at least for electronic locks (which are more and more prevalent these days, so I'm guessing even more so in Robotech?). Given that it's something she wants, though, Elinor's inclined to give it to her if we can -- Cera hasn't expressed many opinions, so I'd like to go with the ones she has. With that in mind...

Alternately, Path 1 but replacing First Aid with Computer Programming as prep for allowing her to take the robotics skills later down the line. Between Toph being a medical doctor (and Hitomi, if and when she joins us), and Elinor having Paramedic, we should be good to go under most circumstances. Maybe that, too, can go on Cera's "skills wish list"?

I'd vote for path 2. I am thinking that with the nature of the Broadsword crew, the Robot Mechanics and Electronics skills would be very handy.

I would go with path two, but I did originally want to plug in the Robot Electronics and Mechanics skills.

O.K. It looks like we have a winner - Path 2!

Now, is that with Artificial Intelligence or Military History (including human history)?

Sorry I forgot to post earlier. Was spending the day volunteering at my 5 year old's school.

Sherwood Sherwood and Psychie Psychie , are your votes for Path 2 both votes for Path 2 as stated by Dannigan? Would you be opposed to Military History instead of Artificial Intelligence, or do you really want the AI? I prefer the history, but I don't mind being outvoted.

I have no objection to Military Intel for Cera. She can always pick up AI stuff later if it looks like we might need it.

I just learned that DrivethruRPG has a Robotech PDF for the Savage Worlds system! It is running only 12 bucks. Just in case anyone is interested.

Thanks for the lead! =)

Psychie Psychie Do you have a preference between Artificial Intelligence or Military History selection for Cera? I don't want to move ahead without everyone's opinions. =)

Hooray! Thanks for the vote, Psychie! =)

Sherwood Sherwood This Robotech game from Savage Worlds sounds interesting! I am also seeing some good reviews. Have you played their system yet?

I wrote up a Cyber Knight character for a Savage Rifts game that lasted all of a few pages here, so I have very little practical knowledge of the system.

It still looks neat. Thanks again for the lead! I may check out Savage Worlds on my local gaming shop. =)

I went ahead and downloaded a copy of it, and I look forward to reading it over. I am wondering if they are planning on releasing any other titles in the Robotech Universe for the Savage system? Hover tanks, Alphas and Betas, Invid and all the rest. Not to mention the aliens in the REF saga.

I guess its all because Palladium has lost the licence to sell the Robotech stuff. At least the game is still living out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back