• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fat Gandalf's Bar & Lounge (OOC chat) - Chapter Five

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you don't mind my speaking from a player's point of view, be careful about giving someone with Cera's background something for the purpose of bonding. That could either work out very well (hey! Human culture is cool!) or it might backfire in a bad way (Ura-Meltrandi: "What? You undertook your fighting system so you could bond with a male? Are you kidding?").

EDIT: Hope you don't mind my rambling. I'm able to be up later than normal, so chatting with all of you is something of a treat for me. =)

I don't think I know enough about martial arts systems to pick which one "fits" her best. The thing I like about Jeet Kune Do is its flexibility in this case; it's meant to be adaptable, even in game terms, so I thought it would make a good choice on those grounds -- she can add things later if something seems to be missing.

Aw! And I was gonna suggest Sumo Wrestling!!

So Sherwood is for TKD, Kaerri is for JKD, while Psychie Psychie is undecided. Both are great choices. I'm glad no one mentioned Aikido. I... don't think she'd go with that somehow. =)

I am not locked into the idea of Tai Kwon Do. It is just an idea.

Kaerri Kaerri What about the other selection of skills? Do you have any suggestions for Cera's skills?

Kaerri sez, "I don't yet but I will. I'll look over them tomorrow." =)

And I am up way past my normal sleepy-time. Good night, friends! =)

Psychie, let me know what you come up with (or if you're still undecided later)?

Heya folks. Looking this over again, I'm going to add to Shop Talk that anyone who has Weapons Engineer also has Recognize Weapons Quality, and anyone who has Protoculture Engineer also has the benefits of the Biomechanical Maintenance (Protoculture) skill. Both "Recognize" and "Biomechanical" read like they are the more basic of the two Engineering skills. Plus, it makes no sense to me that a person who can engineer weapons from the ground up cannot recognize their quality.

EDIT: Very similar to characters with Mechanical Engineer not needing Basic Mechanics. Electrical Engineers need not select Basic Electronics. They are presumed to have this education.

Unless you guys have a perspective that I'm not seeing?

Last edited:
I like the idea of that.

A question, though. Mario has Weapons Engineer, so is my Recognize Weapon Quality at the same percentage, or does it start out at its own base skill level as a free skill?

Incoming rant! Duck for cover!

Well, now that we've gotten this far into the subject, I should point out that this is one of my (few) unwritten rules that I didn't put into Shop Talk (and will after I post this).

The simple answer is - it's a free skill at the skill's proper base percentage. The detailed answer is - it's a free skill at its own base percentage, plus any "Other" skill and I.Q. bonuses, starting out at whatever level your character picked it up at.

Your character's skill percentage is only that of the skill in question (and not the higher or lower tier skill). You probably have noticed that the basic versions of skills often have different percentages than their higher-tier brethren (i.e. Basic Mechanics starts at 30%, Mechanical Engineer at 25%. Well, if all some guy knows is basic, then why is their skill at basic higher than your skill at engineers? They are basically a grease monkey; you are a highly-educated engineer, probably with an earned degree in that field. Aren't you the real expert here?).

Here's a good example of how I've been working these unwritten skills: Toph has the skill, Medical Doctor. As I may have expressed some time ago, Toph also has all of the prerequisite skills required to get her Medical Doctor; those skills are Paramedic and First Aid. Now, I've have this ruling for well over 10 years (probably closer to 15 or 20) of gaming. So, I've been rolling it for your characters or, in some cases, applying automatic successes (no roll) in some situations.

One such situation was Shirley's recent knee-versus-mega-damage-briefing-room-table scene. In my mind, Dr. Toph is a medical doctor trained by the military to deal with trauma. The situation? A painful, but not overly serious abrasion to Shirley's knee. I didn't even have Psychie roll First Aid; I considered Toph to be so medically-prepared as not to require it. Plus, the dice can sometimes screw you and change the scope of the game on one bad roll - if you let it.

On the other hand, Toph could not make much more sense out of the brainy equipment Cera is attached to because, while she's a military-trained doctor, she's no neuroscientist or brain surgeon or computer/starship designer. So, again, I didn't roll to see if Toph knew any more than your characters did; the Broadsword's futuristic computerization is simply out of the league of any Army of Southern Cross-era lieutenants and corporals., if you get my meaning. Sure, you can learn it, but training would be a big help!

Now, Cera on the other hand, has an entirely different educational background than Toph, wouldn't you agree? Cera's advantages lie in her being from a technologically-superior species (the Ura-Meltrandi), from your character's distant future, with genetically-educated training toward that level of tech. She can design, build, and upgrade entire starships! So while we're still talking about medical equipment here, Cera still has edge on virtually everyone except the Broadsword itself when it comes to identifying and using said equipment.

Here's another line of thinking. Your Ajax and VHT mecha are all virtually brand-new to your characters. Top of the line! State of the art! Whizz! Pow! Zoom! Right? To Cera, they are 1977 Honda Civics and 1980s-era BMWs. Ancient history. Remember her constant use of the word "antiquated" in reference to your new mechs? She has an unreal technological edge on virtually anyone from your timeline. This doesn't mean she can't be beat; any competition she has will just have to be on their A-game.

I've digressed (go go ADHD!).

So, technically-speaking, all of your characters (except Shirley, but including Cera) have had the basic (prerequisite) skills for their bigger skills all along. Also, keep in mind a savvy Palladium-playing player-character will not only "know their stuff" (meaning being well-aware of what most skills do without having to look them up), but they'll know how to make the most out of each precious skill slot. Stretchy skill slots are good! Shirley is a great example of this - she wanted Basic Mechanics, but instead she selected Field Armorer & Munitions Expert. Why? Because by doing so, she gets all that know-how with Basic Mechanics skill included (it's written right there in the definition of the skill). Stretch that skill slot out, baby! 8D

This is also possible because I allow you guys to choose any reasonable skill your character has the prerequisites for, even if they are not allowed by your O.C.C..

Kinda liberating, isn't it? =)

Any questions?

O.K. Kaerri Kaerri Psychie Psychie Sherwood Sherwood The entry in Shop Talk is entitled, "House Rule: Skills - Characters that start with "high-tier" skills also receive their prerequisite skills at no cost." Let me know what you think of the entry?

Psychie Psychie I just realized, in your research for a martial art for Cera, I have some information written in The Martial Way that may aid you. That information, of course, is at your disposal. =)

Looking at that list and its descriptions, I'm wondering if Wiu Wing Chun might fit her. Also looking at Krav Maga, but still like Tae Kwon Do and Jeet Kune Do. I can see Cera (and possibly Taniya) liking the practicality and defensive capabilities, while being rather less interested in philosophy (Meltrandi come with their own, in a sense).

Looking up other skills now.

Good news, folks! Kaerri just earned herself a bonus Action Point!

Under the new "Shop Talk" update today, the skill Reflex System Mechanics (which I chose for Cera as the 2nd skill in her R.C.C. skills) is very likely included in the Robotechnology Engineer Cera received under her M.O.S.. and is therefore redundant. This means Cera has an Empty (!) slot there.

Great catch, Kaerri!

Kaerri's recommendation for Cera's skills:

Thirding Sherwood's and Psychie's choices of energy pistol and energy rifle.

RCC Related
Slot 2:
Aerospace Engineer -- this is in the book Elinor's test pilot MOS comes from and covers all aeronautical and aerospace aircraft engineering stuff. Awfully broad, when you look at it, but it's GM-approved.
Slot 3: Military History -- her CS says she's interested in such things, and I'm hoping this will give her Earth's military history for perspective.
Slot 4: HtH upgrade (Expert)

Secondary Skills
Slot 1: HtH upgrade (Martial Arts)
Slot 2: HtH upgrade (Martial Arts Tier 1)
Slot 3: HtH upgrade (Martial Arts Tier 2)
Slot 4: Robot Mechanics
Slot 5: Robot Electronics
Slot 6: Sensory Equipment

Skill acquired at 2nd level
Thirding the choice of Gymnastics.

Going to withdraw Krav Maga from my list because Dannigan says it's basically Jeet Kune Do but not as good.

IIRC Wiu Wing Chun is an exclusive style, reserved for women only. I believe that would appeal to Cera, knowing that fact.

It is, and that's one reason it caught my eye.

I will add my vote to have Wiu Wing Chun for Cera. It is a good style, with decent bonuses.

Also, I like Kaerri Kaerri 's skill selection. I had not thought about Military History. Good choice.

Wasn't Sensory Equipment a free skill? I think I saw that in Shop Talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back