Story FAS Anti Terrorism File D-719-117-CA3

ElrenGryphon

This is another short story that I wrote within the bounds of the Universe that I am working on. This time I decided to try something new for me, making it look as though the reader is accessing a file in a database.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

//:FAS Anti Terrorism Archive
// : Please Provide Security Clearance
//:Security Clearance not verified, system admi-
//:Security Clearance verified
//:Begin File

File Description
Intercepted transmission 117 of 5309 from observation satellite D-719 around Centauri Alpha 3 on 5-11-2845.

Archived for future use on 5-12-2845.

Marked imperative and transferred to anti terrorism unit on 5-23-2845.

File marked active 5-23-2845.

File archived in anti terrorism systems on 6-06-2845.

Access log
Agent 5274 on 5-23-2845 - 5-06-2845
Agent 4456 on 5-30-2845 - 6-1-2845
Unknown on 12-05-2851

File Contents

To: Mr. Simon Frons

Mr. Simon Frons,

Sir, I do appreciate your patronage in our efforts to continue our digsite upon Sirius 3. As you know we have been excavating what we believe to be a major city upon the planet. Dating has placed it as being one of the youngest sites we have discovered yet. Yet, I can’t help but feel that the title city is wrong for this place. My colleagues and have been discussing at length the artifacts we have been discovering. Many show pictorial events and stories that we must assume detail the final years of this civilizations existence. As well, the large presence of bones and other remains have led to many of the workers calling it a mass grave. By the same token, however, the presence of massive structures and dwellings seems to contradict this.
I was honestly surprised when you messaged me earlier this month requesting a consultation on such a strange topic. Many find the topic of the Great Barrier (also known as the Great Filter) to be a depressing one. I do not understand what you mean to use with this knowledge but you have been nothing if not kind to us in your support of our efforts. It is thanks to you that we were able to start this operation in the first place. You will find attached a document detailing everything that I know about the Great Barrier through previous digs and the shared knowledge of my profession as an archaeologist.
Unfortunately I was unable to find anything that has linked the enigmatic Sentry with the concept of the Great Barrier. I also find it a bit insulting insinuating that my own people were a result of Sentry meddling with our biology. There is no evidence to support that and I do not understand your fascination with them.
I hope you find the knowledge held within to be of help in your endeavors. I will continue to update you as we uncover more of in the future.
Attached to File
The Great Barrier

The Great Barrier as my people on Lefen 3 have named it is the term that archaeologists, evolutionists, and historians have given to a defining moment in every species and civilizations history. On the human planet of Earth it is known as the Great Filter and in the Draconian tongue it is called the Age of Crisis. The Great Barrier is something that we have found in the history of all civilizations both past and current. What is fascinating about the Great Barrier is that it is not one specific thing that we can point to. What we can agree is that the Great Barrier has to be passed in order for a civilization to rise to its full potential and join the galactic community.
If a civilization does not pass through the Great Barrier it typically ceases to exist though there have been records of civilizations simply stagnating into perpetuity. To be clear, the Great Barrier can occur at any time within a species and civilizations evolutionary path but that does not necessarily mean that every Great Barrier scenario is easier or harder to pass. As an example, the human homeworld of Earth has an extensive fossil record and periods of great extinction. One of the most interesting is the one that ended their Mesozoic age. A massive meteor impacted their planet and resulted in the die off of every prominent species of the time. One could theorize that if this did not happen then a species from that era would have arisen to prominence instead of humanity.
The meteor was the Great Barrier that the species of the Mesozoic had to pass in order to flourish and develop. In this unfortunate case the Great Barrier was insurmountable as the creatures had no way of saving themselves from the asteroid. An example of a scenario where the Great Barrier was passed through great effort by the species it was occurring too can be seen with the Draconians mentioned before.
Todays Draconians are nothing compared to their ancestors. On a biological level they are exactly the same but on a mental and cultural level they are extraordinarily different. The Great Barrier for the Draconians occurred roughly around the year 1500 by Earth counting. A massively increasing population, tribal tensions and lack of resources resulted in massive conflicts erupting across Drax, the homeworld of the Draconians. Only through an extreme shift in culture and viewpoint did this change. A single leader pulled the remaining Draconians together and showed them that the fight was not against each other but against fate itself. That instead of fighting they should be working together to thrive against all odds. With that simple declaration the Crusade was born and the Great Barrier was broken through.
So far we have kept the definition of the Great Barrier as to a single event that could destroy a civilization. But it can be easily argued that civilizations go through many Barriers throughout their existence. A case for this can be seen within my own, the Lefen. In my planets past there was a great disease that killed all forms of plant species that it came into contact with. This turned much of the planet dead except for an isolated location far removed from most others. It was on this location that a herbivorous species and a plant species seemed to have developed an intense symbiotic relationship. In all intensive purposes the two seperate species ceased to exist and became one, a melding of both that was immune to the disease. To sustain itself the species had chlorophyll from which to make energy from the rays of its sun. We have long declare this to be our Great Barrier where our species first developed in order to thrive against all odds.
Yet, as we pushed into the stars in the 23rd century we were faced with a second Great Barrier that came from outside the galaxy. The Sandor incursion could have easily destroyed our species and many others but through the alliances made by my people and the others of the Nox nebula we were able to survive and endure that threat. I have long argued that that moment was our second Great Barrier.
So, as you can see the Great Barrier is something that all civilizations have encountered at least once in their existence. It has destroyed many civilizations yet made others stronger. It is something natural and not at all evil. I hope this explanation on the Great Barrier assists you in your work.

End File://

Interesting.

I'm not sure what you're trying to imply with the fact that this is in an anti-terrorism file, it's otherwise a message and explanation concerning the great filter. Are you implying that this benefactor man, "Simon Fons" (since this is apparently terrorist related I doubt that's his real name) is somehow using this information, and that 'sentry' stuff, for ulterior, terrorist-like motives?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back