• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Farewell to Kings: Elide’s Tale

Before she left, TJ stopped her. “Here, boss wanted you to have this.” He handed her a red and gold cloth.
“What you’re wearing” he pointed at her veil. “doesn’t match.”

Seems Fon noticed a lot of things about her. Either that or the hookah smoker blabbed to him.

"Oh- Thank you sir." She smiled, quickly turning away, so she could replace the veil.
Elide tucked the other one away into one of the many hidden pockets of her dress that she had discovered.

The man smiled and held the door for her. As she walked through he spoke a phrase. “Ace in the hole.”

It was a subtle note: If you need backup, say that phrase.

The front room was a fancily decorated speakeasy. TJ walked down the hall towards a more private room where the band was getting ready. They had trumpets and string instruments in their hands.

“The shows on in ten, fellas!” TJ said loudly. “This is Ms. Holiday. She’s going to sing tonight.”

“Alright, what key are we playing?” The bassist asked. He was a half elf wearing a yellow vest.

Was she aware of this? No. Was she panicking? Yes. Elide gulped and thought of a random one, "Uh- C" She looked at TJ with a look of confusion

The half elf nodded with a cool face. “Yeah. I think a love song would be a good opener.” The trumpet player talked to the pianist about the approach to take.

“Felix said he wanted a band, we got him a band. Throw some dancing in there.” TJ shrugged and stepped out of the room. He was working as a party host tonight, and went into the kitchen to get updates. She was there with the band members.

She sighed and slowly went up onto the stage. She waited until the gentle melody started before she contributed to the song.

“Nice dress.” The half elf said. “You look like Mina McAntre, the actress. Are you her sister?”

The trumpet player laughed and jabbed at the bassist. “My man’s trying to say you’re stunning, Miss.”

She laughed brightly "I'm flattered, and I'm no one's sister." She giggled

The men chuckled with her. “Do you know that song she sings in Night of Everlong Dreams?”
The bassist sang a chorus line. His voice was soft and trying to simulate a woman’s singing voice.
In my longest dream, on starry nights, I gaze at you with velvet eyes. The seven seas will open wide, so I’ll set my sails with you in mind”

"Sounds familiar... I think I can do that." She nodded slowly, the tune of the song coming back to her.

The group nodded in agreement. Soon the curtain was opened and a short man with brilliant green hair appeared in front of Elide. He wore a dapper coat and spoke to the crowd.

There were many tables and a bar with patrons seated. Some of the guests were wearing black masks over part of their face. One man in the crowd had white hair like Eli, and wore a mask over his face.

“Welcome friends, generous donators, and members of nobility. I, Darby Halfstrider, am the proud brother and partner of Strider Goods and Services. Let’s have a round of applause for the hard working members of our organization!”
There was tedious applause, more forced than genuine.
“Now, without further ado, The Wilting Roses!” He introduced the band and stepped off the stage. The band sprung into melody.

She took in a deep breath and followed the band members in song, she had never performed in front of this many people before, so she was a bit nervous. I should've taken a shot before I got up here. She thought to herself

Unbelievable to nobody but her, but the sounds coming out of her mouth were smooth and gentle, like a songbird in the late evening as the sun set. A warmth built up in her chest as she sang the chorus that the bassist offered.

She was surprised she could sing. This wasn't a skill she had used that often, so it was odd to hear her voice make a sound like that.

What she didn’t know was that the bassist had trained with magical song play, and could influence others to perform well. Somehow the magical dampening didn’t effect him

The song ended and the room filled with applause and cheering, the genuine kind.
The white haired man stood up and clapped. His dark eyes were focused on Elide.
“From the top boys, let’s play Golden Oats!” The trumpet player spoke and the band quickly started the next tune. It was a popular song in Dominion.

She dipped into a bow before exiting the stage. A smile was beaming on her face, a warmth and sense of pride filling her chest.

Backstage TJ was clapping his hands.
“Great stuff kid. You’re on again in twenty. They’re gonna eat dinner for a bit. Did you see him?”

She nodded. "Yes... I did. When should I serve him?" She asked

She quickly reached down and retrieved the vial before giving it to the man.

He deftly pocketed the paper vial and winked. He turned around and started walking into the kitchen.

On a stool in the bar was a halfling seated with a colorful mask on his face. He had a red mohawk and studded leather cuirass.
“Hohoho, the nights only started. Dinner is on its way, Marcelo.”
“I said no names here!”
“Right. Lemme know what’s up later.”

Elide heard the talking from backstage.

A chill cascaded down her spine, she slowly inched towards the voice. It can't be. It's impossible. Why would her father, the high priest, come and attend this event?

Last edited by a moderator:
Peeking around the corner, she saw the white haired man with his mask on standing near the bar talking to someone, possibly Felix.

“Anyways, I hope your kids are well.” Sylvain said.
“They are, thank you. I heard your wife is expecting?”
“Rumors, old sport! She’s just gaining weight.”
The men shared a laugh like old friends would.

Elide sneered and slowly approached the two men. One she had to kill the other, she wished to kill.

Moving into the speakeasy, she’d notice a totem under the bar glowing with radiant energy. Perhaps it was the thing keeping her spells from emerging? It was out of reach and the bartender would easily be alerted to any actions.

She could see how tall the man was, just like he appeared during sermons and how her aunt described. The hair was a dead giveaway.

Felix noticed Elide and smiled under his mask.
“Ah the singer!” His shrill voice was common for halflings. “That was a nice performance. I look forward to hearing more from you. What’s your name, lassie?”

Marcelo looked between them and excused himself. He nodded at Eli before walking across the room to talk to a masked woman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back