• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Farewell to Kings: The Temple of Hyxia

Characters
Here
Lore
Here

Jodyguru

Devil's Food
521D7C99-01B2-4449-ADA0-1E92FAB69ECE.jpeg

The sunny port into Emerald is welcoming to traders and merchants from all walks of life. The breathtaking lighthouse on the edge of the coast shines with a brilliant green beacon during the day and hot white at night to help guide ships safely into port. The city is protected by an encompassing wall with archer towers and a moat that flows in water from the bay. Military generals say that Emerald City is a formidable stronghold, with many cannons ready to defend its walls. The building of massive fortifications allowed the city to prevail through the blight.

You wake up on a ship rocking gently back and forth as it cruises towards the port. The lights are dim, and looking out of the ship you'd see that its just after dawn. Overhead you hear footsteps in every which direction.

The door to the guest chambers opened, and a gruff looking sailor with a nose piercing said it was time to go. Following him out of the lower deck, you'd see the city in the distance in all its splendor. When the ship entered port, there were several city guards standing, wearing dark green tabards with the city's emblem of the emerald lighthouse on them. The guard captain demanded the ship be cleared out.

When it was your turn to set foot on the dock, a guard asks "Please state your name for official records."

Last edited:
"I am Lona of Bentwood." Announced the first elf off the boat. She was not an especially pretty elf, but her tied-back braid of vibrant red hair and her dark green eyes were accompanied by a disarming smile. Her face, though slightly weathered and tanned by her years on a windswept plain, was alive with youthful curiosity. She bore a backpack that was practically bursting with adventuring gear. Lona, Ranger of Bentwood, felt the pier wobble slightly. So much time at sea had given her sea legs. Now that she was back on land of a sort, it was almost as though her feet expected the ground to heave and sway like a boat on the waves. She stood aside and allowed her companions to disembark after her. In her pack, the various vials of potions sloshed and clanked audibly.

To the guard she asked, "Where's a good place to rest, drink, eat and wash up? And where can we find a good notice board?"

Last edited:
The guard looked at his notes for a moment. Lone could tell he was mouthing the words he was reading to himself.
“Yes, Lone of Bentwood. I have a letter here for you, from Count Myar himself. Please read it at your discretion.”

He reached into an envelope and handed her a sealed letter, stamped in wax with a symbol of a scowling wolf.

As for your question. You may try Boartusk tavern here on the docks or try a lodge in town. The Church takes in strays as long as they pay tribute to Mitra.”

He stared at her for a moment.

“You seem like a seasoned adventurer. If you’re looking for work, the House of Wolfhead is north of Emerald, just follow the river.”

"Thank you kind sir." Lona said brightly. She added, "It's 'Lo-nah' actually. Very common mistake. L-O-N-A. Just like that."

"Thank you kind sir." Lona said brightly. She added, "It's 'Lo-nah' actually. Very common mistake. L-O-N-A. Just like that."
The guard forced a smile and nodded. “Thank you, I understand. Welcome to Emerald, Lo-NA.” He overemphasized, showing his annoyance. Once she walked away he’d mutter “damn knife-ears” under his breath.

(pass perception check 20 if you overhear him)

Last edited:
Lona passed the guard to give him and the rest of the party space to interact. She sat down on the pier a little ways down, letting her legs hang over the water, oblivious. She opened her letter and started to read.

Lona passed the guard to give him and the rest of the party space to interact. She sat down on the pier a little ways down, letting her legs hang over the water, oblivious. She opened her letter and started to read.
The seal broke with a satisfying waxy snap off the paper. In the distance, a seagull cawed and flew across the pier. Waves crashed against the jetty and made the pier slowly lift and droop.

The letter read:
"Dear Lona of Bentwood, your reputation as an adventurer proceeded your arrival in Emerald. I hope your journey was a pleasant one. I heard that you were helpful to the people and a fellow lord of Paladina during your travels. Most commendable. I am reaching out to you with an invitation for you and your comrades to have dinner as my special guests. I shall expect your arrival on the eve that you receive this letter. There are many important things you must hear from me in person that I'm sure will be worth your time. Blessings of Mitra upon you and your company. Sincerely, Count Myar Hearst, head of the Order of Wolves.

While the ship was approaching the harbor, an ornate statue with a bunch of talismans around it's neck could be seen on the top deck, but in fact, it was Knot, admiring the view. He especially admired the craftsmanship and might that was displayed. He was standing so still that some might have thought that he was part of the ships decoration. The sailor with the nose ring came upstairs. "Oh, you are still here," he said. "You better get off. Now!"

"Oh ... OK." Knot looked confused. Now? He grabbed the railing with two hands and before the sailor could warn him, he swung his legs over the railing and jumped off board, aiming for the pier below.

Knot was just shy of the dock, landing hard on his torso with feet touching the water. A succesful climb check (DC 10) would allow him to pull himself up with minimal embarrassment.

Meanwhile, the guards standing by were not amused and saw this peculiar act as cause to grip their swords and prepare for whatever happened next.

As Knot fell his talismans were blown in his face, making it harder to aim. He crashed into the dock and felt the water touch his toes. Before he could slide away further, he grabbed one of the planks and pulled himself up. He stood upright and brushed himself off. Then he noticed the alarmed guards and waved. "Oh, hi there fellas. I am Knot Driftwood. How can I be of service?"

The wary guards approached. Seeing Knot closely made them more uneasy. The slow-reading guard stepped forward.

“You can start with telling me what in Desna’s Stars you are!”

it looks like a wooden construct” another guard muttered.

“Constructs in Emerald? A trick by the Magi I bet” a third guard muttered back. “Those damned lie-weavers. We ought to chop this thing up and heat the barracks”
The two in the back snickered, while the Captain hung back with his hands on his hips, watching silently as this unfolded.

"There is no need to shout." Knot said in a calm voice. "I am not entirely sure of what I am, but I can assure you that I can think and act on my own. As to what I might be, I think I am some kind of animated wooden construct. I'd like to believe I have a soul, but who knows?" Knot got a little anxious as he was trailing off. "But I can be anything you want me to be if you are in need of my service ... well ... anything within reason." He still couldn't stop himself from talking. He noticed Lona sitting not far away. "You can ask the snappy lady over there. She can vouch for me."

Zotar Zotar

"There is no need to shout." Knot said in a calm voice. "I am not entirely sure of what I am, but I can assure you that I can think and act on my own. As to what I might be, I think I am some kind of animated wooden construct. I'd like to believe I have a soul, but who knows?" Knot got a little anxious as he was trailing off. "But I can be anything you want me to be if you are in need of my service ... well ... anything within reason." He still couldn't stop himself from talking. He noticed Lona sitting not far away. "You can ask the snappy lady over there. She can vouch for me."

Zotar Zotar
The soldiers didn’t lower their guard, but the tension in the air seemed to relax a bit. Their shoulders relaxed and the scowls dropped. The captain spun around and approached Lona who had finished reading her note on the dock.

Pardon me, miss. Do you vouch for that walking bough that startled my men?”

The warm sun and salty breeze held Lona in her moment of excitement upon finishing the letter. Then the moment was broken by a splash, and Lona looked up to see an apologetic wooden sculpture explain himself to the gaurds. The living figurehead was making a scene. Lona had taken a keen interest in the being called Knot. He was something new, yet so wondrous: living art, someone's Masterpiece, and with a nice personality to boot.

Lona tucked the letter away in her belt pouch and got up to diffuse the situation. She met the guard halfway and had an answer for him regarding Knot. "Oh him? He's nice enough. Harmless as a dove and ever so polite. Knot wont be any trouble, I promise." Lona strode over to stand at Knot's side.

Jodyguru Jodyguru , Felix Felix

The captain folded his arms and watched Knot interacting with the guards. The men started poking and prodding the wooden man out of curiosity.

At ease men! The elf is taking that thing with her.” The captain hollered and the three guards straightened themselves and returned to their original place on the dock.

He’s your responsibility now.” Captain told Lona. “Just keep him from causing any more scenes in the city. Lots of war veterans live here. I like to keep the trouble localized to the dock.”

Augustus Goodfisher

The man exited the cabin of the ship, affixing his helmet upon his head as he came into the sunlight. The commotion already was on its way, so hell, its likely this was going to be a fun adventure afterall. Shifting his pack to a more comfortable position it felt light as a feather with his handy lucky belt. He only hoped his travels will be without issue, unlike last time.

Nearly lost his head with the last one.

Litterally, figuratively and metaphorically.

So now he learned his lesson, keep the helmet on.

Always.

Nonetheless, Pal began to disembark, his armor announcing his presence long before any word could. "Land at last, not much for me on the sea save travel and reading... And seasickness..." he spoke to nobody in particular, he was just happy to be close to setting foot on dry land.

"Ah, hello everyone, any trouble?" He asked the host of folks, somewhat ignorant of the situation. But pleasant enough regardless.

@ all

Following behind Augustus was a built young man with dirty blonde hair carrying a smaller backpack with his gear inside. Finn Mcgellen was staring out towards the coastline for a while until he saw it was time to leave the ship.

He let out a yawn and stumbled down the ramp, shadowing his master the paladin.

———————

State your names for the record, father and brother.” The guard asked, seeing clearly these two were members of the Dominion Church by their polished armaments and holy symbols.

———————

Finn was quick to answer with his full name, before giving the guard a small bow out of respect for local authority. They were guests in this city, and proper etiquette made him acknowledge that to these soldiers. His master did not need to bow, as the rank of paladin granted him equal authority in this realm, though he would report to the captain commander of the city guard if he were to use his role of authority here.

Augustus

The man clad in armor smiled, though none would see it, he stood straight, clicked his heels together and put a hand over his heart.

"Paladin Augustus Goodfisher, at your service sirs. And what a good day to be at the glimmering Emerald city, it's brilliance is worthwile to behold!" The man let out a hearty warm laugh, clasping his young squire on the back. "Have heart, this is the beginning anew in a brilliant and shining land. Many opportunities await!

After we go talk with the captain commander of course, wouldn't do to pass by wothout a word you know? See whats what." He played the mentor role well enough.

His eyes went to the elf and the...Huh... A walking stattue.

"My, what an oddity, perhaps this is that elven magics I heard so much about? Or perhaps wizardry? Certainly more lively than most trees i'd say hohohoho!"

@ all

Lona took the helm of the conversation. Keeping it cordial, she answered Augustus for Knot. "Didn't you meet him on the boat ride over? This is Knot." To the others gathering up she asked, "You guys wanna get together? I've been invited by the governor for dinner tonight. I can bring you all along. The governor may have an adventure suited for us and our skills." She knew from her conversations on the voyage who the others were. The paladin and his squire certainly weren't making any effort to conceal their roles. This could be an adventuring party in the making.

Last edited:
Lona took the helm of the conversation. Keeping it cordial, she answered Augustus for Knot. "Didn't you meet him on the boat ride over? This is Knot." To the others gathering up she asked, "You guys wanna get together? I've been invited to dinner by the governor for dinner tonight. I can bring you all along. The governor may have an adventure suited for us and our skills." She knew from her conversations on the voyage who the others were. The paladin and his squire certainly weren't making any effort to conceal their roles. This could be an adventuring party in the making.

Finn looked perplexed, like how was this woman convinced the piece of wood was a real person? Animate sure, but personhood was a long and arduous journey, not simply granted with the flick of a wand.

“Him? I must have mistook it for a piece of driftwood or building materials.”

Finn met eyes with the wooden man and stuck his hand out, almost sarcastically.

“uh, hello Knot. I am Brother Finn of Alexia.”

"Goodness me, how wonderous! Sir Knot! A pleasure to meet a man of wood! I do ever so wonder how you move and speak..." the knight examined the being, before then moving towards the elf. "Ah!! The governer you say? My my my, you must be one of those high life ladies! High born society and what not? I truly do wish I had a mind for it, Palaces, balls, dancing!

Ah... But my two left feet..." he seemed to have put himself in check.

"Finn! Consider taking up dancing! It and swordplay come hand in hand so best you keep it in mind!

...Ah what was I going to do...? Ah... Yes the governer!"

Knot looked gratefully at Lona, few people had actually vouched for him before. Most were too scared or unsure of what he was. He was not sure of that either. The knight's response was way more common, but at least he was more jolly about it.

"It's okay if you did not notice my presence, I get that a lot. However, I am not driftwood, but Knot Driftwood does happen to be my name. I am not sure if wizardry was what made me, but I am an adept mage, if I say so myself, and I would really like to do some good with those skills. I'm don't really eat, but I would love to accompany you to this dinner to hear about this adventure." He was mumbling on, trying to show that he knew how to talk elegantly, but his years at sea betrayed a less eloquent intonation.

Knot looked gratefully at Lona, few people had actually vouched for him before. Most were too scared or unsure of what he was. He was not sure of that either. The knight's response was way more common, but at least he was more jolly about it.

"It's okay if you did not notice my presence, I get that a lot. However, I am not driftwood, but Knot Driftwood does happen to be my name. I am not sure if wizardry was what made me, but I am an adept mage, if I say so myself, and I would really like to do some good with those skills. I'm don't really eat, but I would love to accompany you to this dinner to hear about this adventure." He was mumbling on, trying to show that he knew how to talk elegantly, but his years at sea betrayed a less eloquent intonation.
Looking at the glowing paladin, Knot could read the runes scripted on his belt.

“Carry the loads of many, for it’s the duty that lifts our backs.”
He identified Ant Haul embued on Pal’s waist wrap

Finn stood with his hand outstretched, closing his palm once it seemed that the artifact wasn’t aware of his gesture’s intent.

More so, the runes on the wooden man’s body gave Finn an idea.

“I might be able to decipher these scripts on your body, Knot Man.” Finn said and smirked at the mage.

Once they were in a more comfortable location he could cast his prepared read magic prayer. The dock was getting crowded as more folks exited the ship. The guards stated giving everyone orders to get moving. Everyone would have to move onto the long pier before they could talk more and decide on their next move.

It was noon, and everyone was slightly parched. Hungry too, and also dirty. The boat trip was taking its toll at last.

except for knot, who instead of hunger and thirst, had a bodily demand for grass or wheat to chew on. Doing such would put spring in his step and reduce his fatigue

Last edited:
"Let's eat!" Lona was ecstatic. She couldn't wait to get to know these people over a hearty luncheon. Yes sir, this was a fine day to start on new venture. "Let's try Boartusk Tavern. The guard told me where it is." She led the way, the spring in her step only slightly diminished by her heavy pack. "We can talk business there too. What are you guys gonna do until this evening?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back