• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Farewell to Kings: The Snapdragon Festival (closed)

Jodyguru

Devil's Food
The Castle known as Phoenixblood was home to many books, with wizards occasionally visiting. That was a little joke the magi told, since it seemed the place was abandoned much of the year. In fact many lived at Phoenixblood, but studious habits made the place feel quiet.

Located far,far south of Paladina, past the swampy forests of Shadowfall. This institute has stood for many ages. Built into the side of a mountain, the wizards appreciated their solitude.

At the entrance to the castle was a happy old man in a white fur cloak and a hat made out of the head of an albino bear. He was drinking out of a large blue jug made of sapphire.

The man was called Signor Yiltle, and he was waiting for a new guest to arrive.

There was an elf ambling up the road in a simple dress, sporting a sword on her hip, a bow and a quiver of arrows, and a laden pack of supplies. She huffed a little under the strain. Sweat trickled down her face. She was a skilled hunter, slayer of fiends, and yet she'd never learned to travel light. The various accoutrements of her trade weighed her down. There were potions, rations, rope, weapons and kits, everything she thought she needed.

Lona breathed a sigh of relief when the castle at long last came into view. Her journey here had been eventful. She'd rented a horse, left early and ridden a ways. She would have rode all the way here, but a beast spooked Hussar when Lona camped for the night. Then Lona spent half a day tracking him down. But all that remained of Mrs. Huasman's old Quarterhorse were scattered bones and the bloody tracks of a pack of wolves.

Lona blessed her decision to leave Paladina early. Though her walk was arduous, she'd arrived on time. She was here, and alive.

As she hiked the rest of the way toward the castle, where a wizened and quirkily dressed old man stood looking out at her. Red haired, freckled and slight, Lona of Bentwood dropped her gear in front of an old man, stretched her aching muscles, and raised her hand in a tired gesture of salutation.

"Lona... *huff* ...of Bentwood... *huff* reporting for service."

Last edited:
The jolly coot laughed and slapped his chest.
“Call me Yiltle, the Ale Mage! Welcome to Phoenixblood Academy.”
He bowed, then offered her a drink from his sapphire jug. “You look like you’ve had a tough journey. The mists are quite dangerous, but not terrible for a seasoned adventurer!”

Last edited:
"Well met, Yiltle." Lona accepted the drink eagerly. "Thank you. It has been a tough journey, too much for the horse unfortunately. I'm glad I made it." She took a gulp. Then she finally registered the bottle. "Wow. Is this Sapphire? It's beautiful! You must really like to have guests out here."

The drink was light and fruity, with a hint of alcohol. If it was an ale it was a special magic ale.
“Ah thank you. I carved it myself oh say, twenty years ago. I brought it out for the festivities today. Now, we shall make it inside the castle. You having a drink will make this easier.”
Yiltle clapped his hands together and shoved them outward towards Lona. After that he waved his hands over his head and spoke in dragon tongues.

The two of them started to lift off the ground! Lona felt like she was riding on a cloud. In fact, the magic brew had special properties that he could activate for this spell. They floated higher and higher, over the sealed front gate and floating up over a long set of stairs.
“I love air travel! It beats walking, for sure!” He chuckled and flew ahead, landing at the opened entrance to the castle and using a hand to gently carry the flying hunter towards him. Once she was safely on the ground he lowered a hand and belched.
Lona had a big burp rising up her throat as well.

"Oh!" The sudden skyward lurch caught Lona unawares, but the pleasant flight made Lona feel quite giddy. "Yes sir, this is quite nifty." She said before landing.

Lona covered her face and tried her best to disguise the belch from the wonderful ale. There was just no stopping it. "Urp. Pardon me." She handed the bottle back and looked around. "Soo... Festivities you say? What about my gear?"

Yiltle nodded and lead her inside a long hallway lit with purple flame torches. “We have a quarters prepared for you. You can have a bath and change into fresh linens before joining us for the Snapdragon Festival. I have been given orders to lead you anywhere you wish to visit in the castle, and provide your every need and desire. The Magi treats its guests like family.”

"That's wonderful!" Lona took in the sights as they talked. "I very much appreciate all this. And the place is lovely. One thing I love about wizards is the attention to detail. With that in mind, I look forward to the celebration. And to getting to business afterward of course. For now though I think I will go clean up. That swamp had a way of clinging on to wayward travelers."

The ale mage had a chuckle. “Yes, the children love the festivities. I still remember the first year I was in the festival. I made apples that tasted like roast beef. It didn’t go over well, but the Headmaster applauded my creativity.”

He led the lady to her room for her stay. It was a luxurious bedroom with a comfortable bed, and decorated with care. There was a door that led to the bathroom where she could wash herself.

“I believe there’s linen garments in the drawers, and a dress in the closet. If you need anything from me, use this.” He handed the hunter a small golden bell hanging from a strip of red ribbon.

"Thanks again Yiltle." Lona said with an eager smile. "How soon should I be ready for the festival?" She took the bell and ribbon and crossed the threshold into the well appointed chambers.

In the window there was a paper dragon flying around. Some children had kites down below, and were playing in a back garden.
“Hm, for some it started this morning. Take your time, see the castle, do as you wish. The festival will be going all night. I’ll start drinking around then.”

Lona closed the door and began her thorough inspection. She basked in the luxury, flopping down onto the bed with childlike glee, admiring the furniture, appraising her dress, taking in all the magical and mundane details of her accomodations.

She found the bath and made ample use of it.
Once washed she returned to the bed and settled down for a restful nap. When she awoke rejuvenated, she dressed with care donning the clean dress she found. She fixed her hair into a neat plait, but didn't bother with makeup.

She examined herself in the mirror and shrugged at herself before she turned and found she'd made a slight mess of the room. That wouldn't do, so she took the time to tidy up and leave the room as she found it. By the time she was done, it was almost sundown.

She picked up the bell from the bedside table where shed left it and gave it a good ring.

There was a tingle and a magical poof. A small white cloud in the shape of a bear appeared before her.
“Hello Miss Lona. How can I assist you?”
It was definitely Yiltle’s voice. He was somewhere in the castle speaking to her through his conduit.

"I'd like a tour-guide." Lona said simply. "I don't know my way around just yet, and I don't want to miss the party."

The bear cloud nodded and floated out of her room and into the hallway.
“This floor is mostly empty. We store supplies here when we aren’t expecting company. Below is the daycare and maternity ward. We will head upstairs, where the fun stuff is.”
The cloud led Lona to a flight of stairs. On the next floor was an open room where people were mingling over drinks. There was a tray of crescent rolls sitting on a table between two robed men having a chat.
On the left side of the room was a big window overlooking the forest line. On the right and straight ahead were hallways leading elsewhere in the castle.
(Perception 15 for interesting figures worthy of mention)

Lona followed with a spring in her step. She watched and listened, taking in the sights and sounds... and smells. Her stomach growled when she crossed an airflow carrying the aroma of freshly baked bread. She tracked it to its source and marked the location on her mental map. She did the same for each person and drink she spied, and she looked for other morsels.

[Roll:18 A cake-walk for Lona, really.]

There was a bowl of punch sitting on a bar that was missing a tender. It was a very casual affair, using the space available to make a party.

Sitting near the crescent rolls was an old mage with a walking stick in his lap. He had glassy eyes and wickedly long and black eyebrows. Lona recognized him as Zyrrec the Almighty. He was the author of adventure novels she might have read as a child. Along with authorship, he had an impressive list of accomplishments in the field of Evocation magic.

Standing near the punch bowl was a woman in a blue evening gown. She was of both elven and human ancestry, and had her raven familiar sitting on her shoulder. No names jumped out at Lona to recognize the person.

Lona approached the table with the rolls. "Excuse me sirs. Could I trouble you for a roll? I'm famished. Sir Zyrrec right? It's an honor."

A younger mage nodded and let her help herself. Zyrrec heard her voice and put a hand to his ear.
“Huh? Whazzat?” He asked.
“She said it’s an honor to meet you.” The mage said loudly in the old mans ear.
“Oh, thank you! Who are you?” He asked. He was looking straight ahead, but he wasn’t really seeing anything. He was ancient. Blind and near deaf. “Is that my granddaughter?”
“No, it’s not. She appears to be a festival guest.” The young mage spoke loud and clear into his big ear full of gray fuzz.
“Have I read mage’s digest? Not this month” The man wheezed and laughed.

Last edited:
"My name is Lona, a ranger of Bentwood." Lona spoke a little louder, reaching for a crescent. "I've read your work and some of your deeds. Inspirational." Lona took a small bite of the roll and chewed for a bit. "Mmm..."

Zyrrec listened best he could. He smiled brightly at her with what few teeth he had.
“Oh, you do me too much honor. I’m just an old fart who liked blowing things up. Thank you dear.” He grasped her hand with both of his shaky palms and shook her hand.

"You're quite welcome sir." Lona shook the hand gently and smiled at the veteran. The she turned to the other man. "And who might you be? A protégé of the great Evocater perhaps?"

The mage shook his head. “Unfortunately no, I’m his grandson Damian. I’m still studying for my blue cap.”
In wizard school, you started as a student, and earning your blue cap at graduation meant you were skilled enough to make it out of the Shadowfall alone, and return. As an extra challenge, the wizard must keep a candle’s flame lit the entire trial. You earned your white or gray cap after many years of graduate school.

"I see." Lona replied with a nod. "Well met, Damian. I understand you have quite a trial ahead of you." She took another bite.

He shrugged. “It’s just a hat. I mean lots of people have good lives without graduating.” He seemed uninspired, possibly destined for the wash-outs. Some of the early Ed teachers at the college weren’t official wizards themselves. Failure wasn’t the end of the road, they were still a family.
“It’s rare to find outsiders here. How goes the war, Lona of Bentwood?” Damian asked.

Lona didn’t know much about the war. Somewhere she heard that Rodrick’s rogue army was advancing towards Dominion. That was pretty old news, but possibly worth mention.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back