• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Farewell to Kings: Temple of Hyxia

She frowned at the Lautrec's statement, "Slow you down?! I can tell you that I can run quite fast, thank you very much- and I can take care of myself!" She glared at him, letting out a final huff, "Don't worry Father, I'll keep an eye on him. As a responsible, and very grown-up, young woman, I believe I'll do just fine for the amount of money I'm being given."

She was definitely spirited, he gave her credit for that. If only she knew the power he used to travel at night.
“If she insists, then be sure to bring a parisol.”
“That settles it then. I wish you the best of luck.” Count Myar said.

The count chuckled warmly. “Of course. Salim, bring the pudding out.”
Lautrec raised a hand and asked to be excused to the bathroom. Once he left, he probably wouldn’t return.
A glass dish of chocolate pudding with whipped cream and shaved chocolate flakes on top appeared along with a silver spoon for Rhi.

Last edited:
The mithi's face brightened at the sight chocolate, quickly diving into the treat. "Why can't the normal historians and such find this mysterious temple?"

The count folded his arms and sighed. “Because of the war. Rodrick’s forces are in the way of the best guess locations the historians could give. It’s too risky for them to venture out there, and become hostages.”

“So we will find a way past their camps... where are the historians now?” Lautrec asked.

“Adam Cursewood was staying at Red Hawk Ridge, to the East. Not sure if he’s still there. He should know where to start looking.”

“Red Hawk Ridge... that’s close to the desert.”

The count nodded.

"Oh! Red Hawk Ridge?" she put her spoon down quickly, quickly swallowing a mouthful of pudding, "I've got family there. We could board with them and it would save us the coin." She glanced up at the pale man once more, curiosity overcoming her fear of the being, "Say, where are you from?"

The pale rider shrugged. He didn’t feel need to respond to her question.
“The church met him in Dominion. A street urchin running with delinquent children. When he was picked up, our people decided not to execute a child. It seemed “inhumane”, though their ancestors would scoff at such leniency.”

Lautrec looked at his new travel companion. “Satisfied? I’ll be leaving, then. Good evening, everyone.” He got up and walked out of the dining room.

“Good night Lautrec. Happy hunting.” The count waved.
“Finally, some clear air.” The priest wrung his hands together.

Last edited:
"Wait a bit-hey!" Rhi exploded from her chair, pushing it back with a tired squeak, "I thought we were suppose' to go together?!"
She frowned at Lautrec's departing shoulders, looking back at the two men who were sitting at the table, "Aren't I suppose to go to?! I thought I was part of this deal!"

To tell the truth, Rhi wasn't upset that Lautrec would be trekking alone, she was actually very, very, broke. She desperately needed the money after failing to find a job that she could both keep and make good money, and after having to move from place to place with the little money she had, she was not seeking a new place to stay.

The two men simply waved them off. It was how they expected things to end up. The butler handed him his coat, same with the lady. The dhampir slid it on and left without a word.

Lautrec put his hat on his head and continued onto the rainy walkway. He turned and walked far enough that the manor was no longer in plain view. He assumed that the woman would follow him.

“Did you bring an umbrella” He asked Rhi.

Last edited:
"Oh! Well then, I guess I am going along, huh?" she blushed, embarrassed. She accepted her cloak quickly, running behind the tall man.
"A-an umbrella?" she shook the water out of her eyes, sifting through her bag, "I guess I must have forgotten." She managed to hop into step with the man, attempting to match his long strides, "You wouldn't happen to have one, hm?"

The two were standing near an alley. It was wet, gloomy, and empty save for a few stacked boxes.
The man’s hand started to glow purple, then a purple disk appeared over Rhi’s head. It sheltered her from the rain and walked at her speed.
“Stay here. I have to handle something.”
Lautrec stepped onto a large wooden box and climbed up to reach a ledge on the building. He pulled himself up and started ascending the building’s face to get onto the roof.

She gawked at the purple disc, hands clutching the strap of her satchel. She watched intently as the vampire ascended the building, his form blending in with the murkiness of the night. I promised the father that I would keep an eye on the vampire....what if he's actually a killer? M-maybe he even drinks blood, she thought to herself, shivering at the idea of Lautrec unveiling two gleaming fangs and sinking them into the throat of an innocent being, draining them of life. With a stamp of her foot, as was her way of confirmation when she set her mind on doing something, she nimbly leaped onto the box behind him, careful to remain quiet.

Lautrec made it onto the roof and was crouched overlooking the alley when Rhi climbed up. The hovering disc followed her the entire way, and would last a few minutes longer.
“Why doesn’t she listen?” Lautrec muttered to himself.

She stooped quietly, crouching as not to be seen, though it was obvious that he knew she was there. She bit her lip, watching his every move intently.

Lautrec sat there motionless for minutes. He didn’t blink or breathe or scratch an itch.

The rain died down a bit, as did the floating disk.

His heightened senses allowed him to hear a heart beating close to him. It was Rhi. No sign of his target yet.

Her curiosity finally getting the better of her, she sidled up to Lautrec, "What're you doing?" she whispered, her breath clouding in the cold stormy air. Her hair had dried into tangled ringlets, frazzled from the rain. Her skin prickled in the cool air, sensitive to the icy breath of the wind, ears flapping in the breeze.
She glanced up at the dying disk of light, suddenly afraid, "I-is your magic dying?! A-are you dying Lautrec?! No! Don't die! It's okay that you're a vampire and that they suck blood, j-just don't die, okay?!" she grabbed his forearm, shaking it slightly.

Lautrec had enough. He used the arm she was clinging to and suddenly reached upwards and grabbed her by the top of her blouse, pulling her towards him with his other hand cocked into a fist, ready to belt her good.
“Be. Silent.” He spoke sternly and pushed her away, sparing her his fury this time. He was going to recast the disc for her in a minute when it was gone but now she was pissing him off.
“Magic spells have to reset before you can use them again. I’m not dying, but I shall stab at thee if thou continues to invoke that word I despise.”

She squeaked, skidding backward on the roof which was slick with rain. Her breathing was heavy, her quick pants were the same as that of a wild rabbit being hunted by a wolf. His outburst terrified her, shook her to the core and with that, she ran, jumping down from the roof onto the box with a hard crunch. She collapsed onto the ground, leaning against the box and shivering, curling into a ball. Hot tears poured down her cheeks as fear mixed with a bit of shock and shame heated her face.

The scene she caused made him feel like dying inside. She had zero hardness after all. How she planned on defending against soldiers was anybody’s guess.
He jumped off the roof and landed on the ground with a light gust of wind breaking his fall. He appeared besides the girl.

“Are you hurt?“ he asked.

Sniffing, she stared at him with puffy eyes, her cheeks coated in dried tears.

"No."

She thrust herself upwards, strong legs propelling her into the air. Grabbing the vampire's throat, she pushed him to the ground, a dagger gleaming in her hand. Straddling him, she pressed the weapon at his throat. She had managed to push a hand into his hair, gripping the strands with surprising force.

"Your acting won't fool me, vampire, I know what you're playing at. You'll kill me soon, won't you? Pretend to be a polite man and then, bam-" she pressed the knife against his throat with more force, "-you'll sink your teeth into me and suck the life out of me, won't you? Father Ainley asked me to kill you. I thought I wouldn't after meeting you at the party, but now?"

Her eyes were cold, pitted with fear.

"I think I might just have to kill you, to save both myself and any other poor soul."

Lautrec was perfectly still while she spoke. The blade in front of him barely gave him any worry.
“I would embrace death, if it ever came. You’ll see by sunrise that I am not a vampire. Ainsley is beholden to a pact signed a century before your birth.”
His hand drew the scimitar from its sheath and swung for either the dagger or her hand.
“I’ll leave you bleeding, but it’s as Myar said, I’ve never tasted blood!”

Her hand flew to block him, her wrists colliding with his. Eyeing the scimitar, she let out a shaky breath, "Y-you're not a vampire?" she murmured, chilled by his calmness. He should be shivering in fear, pleading for mercy! Indeed she was a force to be dealt with, not some spineless artist without skill! He doubted her time and time again, and she'd show him she was NOT worthless! Her hand, gripping at his hair tighter, pulled his head back to reveal more of his pale, thin neck.

"I-I'm not afraid of you! You're a sick bastard, a-a defiler of women, a-" she threw baseless insults at him, hoping to scare him, "L-leave me bleeding?! I'm sure it's to drink it, you d-disgusting devil spawn -" the rain mixed with her tears, her heart pounding in her chest.

Last edited:
Lautrec pulled himself away from her blade, feeling his hair being pulled out of the roots. He used a free hand to draw a dagger from his side and swung, cutting his hair to free himself. He immediately took a step backwards and held his scimitar steady.

“I wasn’t planning on hurting you. All I wanted was a little respect and distance. Yet you insist on treating me like a freak, a monster. Notice how not once all night did I ask about your horns or ears? You’ve done nothing but make me feel guilty for things others have done.”

He pressed his hand to the side of his stomach. He was nursing some pain. This action triggered a memory for Rhi.
“Bow, wretch.” The priest’s cold voice echoed, followed by the sound of him beating Lautrec. How many times was he forced to bow to the church? Was Ainley the person she wanted to emulate?

Last edited:
Something broke in her.

And it hurt.

Hands clutching her horns, she shook her head with her hands, her clothes sopped with rain. The drops of water stung her eyes, blinded her as Father Ainley had blinded her to the cruelty of the church. She had seen it before, of course, the killing of vampires. Many times she would watch quietly from the church window as the screaming individual was strung up on a pole and burned alive. Her ears had grown used to the screaming, the pain. Father Ainley had told her that it was for the good of the world that those people died and she had blindly accepted, her childish naivety unexposed to the truths of the world.

But watching this man, a being that Father Ainley had deemed a spawn of the devil, had done nothing wrong. He was, at times, a bit harsh and bitter and his appearance was a bit terrifying but...why had she felt the need to kill him?! Had Father Ainley turned her into a blind murderer, a suspicious being who cared little for those who were persecuted?

She stared at the ground, feeling small and useless in the presence of this large man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back