• When posting, please be aware that artistic nudity is still nudity and not allowed under RpNation rules. Please edit your pictures accordingly!

Remember to credit artists when using work not your own.

Commission [1/4 available] Fantasy Sketches, Grumkins and Snarks! [Commish info-first post!]

Winner character submission is here! Meet Simon_Hawk Simon_Hawk 's Rana Ellow. Thank you for giving me so much artistic freedom (and guiding me along the way so that my questionable logic did not chip away at the drawing).

elff.jpg

Last edited:
HOLY POOP

giphy.gif

peritwinkle peritwinkle I thought you were a fluke when I saw your name, I'd know that style anywhere! I said. But no - you just changed your name; I think his eyes are what do it for me <3 I do like the golden reeds in his hair they're beautiful

peritwinkle peritwinkle I thought you were a fluke when I saw your name, I'd know that style anywhere! I said. But no - you just changed your name; I think his eyes are what do it for me <3 I do like the golden reeds in his hair they're beautiful

Haha, a name change could be confusing, but I thought what could be better for me than a colour pun? Thank you for your kind words 💕

Haha, a name change could be confusing, but I thought what could be better for me than a colour pun? Thank you for your kind words 💕
Of course, I'm always looking forward to the next "... posted in Fantasy Sketches, Grumkins and Snarks! ~ Let Me Draw Your OC! " notification

Edit: I think the color pun is quite witty

I'm gonna go ahead and turn this into a ~mini tutorial~ on shading and using references, since the art gods have blessed me with a relatively clean base layer.

Using references - a different perspective
In the field of art, not only as a beginner but as an advanced artists as well, references are key to helping you put your thoughts and ideas on the canvas. The image that piqued my interest has absolutely nothing to do with the theme of the painting, nor with my center character. However, there is a resemblance between Fariba Khamseh 's artwork and mine.

5b410921dc135eba379ffc64ebbe458e.jpg

Hint: it's the skin colour scheme.

My approach to references is often slightly different from the usual 'snatch and copy'. While I do use references for poses when my own reflection in the mirror isn't enough, what attracts me most about certain paintings is the colour scheme, which I implement into my art.

In my work, I began by painting the base colours for the face, and then came up with fitting shades for the clothing and background. I try my best not to use any colour picking when starting out, since I am trying to train myself to observe a bit better.

sassy elf pirate 2.jpg

Upon analysing one of Yuliya Litvinova 's paintings, I picked up a bit of an anatomy trick to make the chest look slightly more '3D'. This is where that observation skill I mentioned comes into play - see the creaminess of the brush strokes on her skin? The way she paints shadow and light through sharp strokes? There is no need to for the airbrush tool to make shapes look organic. If there is something crucial I learned over the years, it's that the eye sees a picture as a whole - shadow, darkness, colour, light; round, square, high, low. Therefore, incertain styles, overly blending shades together can take away from the aspect of the painting.

Untitled.png

Here's how far I have gotten with my elf pirate. Although the art I referenced is slightly less saturated and has fewer hues throughout the skin, I had to adapt to the environment my subject is in. To me, it looks like a town inn, so there would be different sources of light radiating and scattering from different places: sunlight, coming from the left, which falls on the objects behind her and reflects on her skin in a different tone (the blues on her left). Also, don't be afraid to add in some bursts of colour, like I did with hints of purple and green.

Untitled.png

Untitled.png

As I have said before, I am nowhere close to being content with my art, especially compared to the artists I draw inspiration from, and I am constantly trying to learn and improve. I hope you found at least something useful in this thread, and if not, feel free to suggest another mini tutorial or offer some constructive criticism.

Last edited:
Portrait commission for the sweet juwuiet juwuiet - and my first time painting a pet! Had a blast with this one and playing with neons again!

More to come soon!

witchy cat.png

PS: Just posted a poll on future tutorials! If you're interested in me sharing a bit of my limited knowledge fell free to scroll up and vote!

Last edited:
Another addition to the elf family, by goldfinch goldfinch . I picked up a lot about painting male portraits while working on this one, although I still find it considerably more challenging than females. I think it has to do with the fewer eye-catching reference pictures and the masculine touch that I still have a hard time rendering.

elf erion.png

Last edited:
Gosh both these recent pieces are amazing ❤️ No clue what you’re talking about with your artwork of men, they have so much character and masculinity oozing out of them!!

Gosh both these recent pieces are amazing ❤ No clue what you’re talking about with your artwork of men, they have so much character and masculinity oozing out of them!!

What you don’t see is how many tries (and tears) it takes to paint one guy 😂 From finding references to erasing everything and starting over hundreds of times!

Here's a small collection of stuff I've painted in the last few days. I'm just settling in and I don't have Photoshop on my best friend's laptop, so art's gonna have to wait for a bit :ghostxx:

avelina (1).png
concept by ashwynne ashwynne

amira-naval-superhero.jpg
concept by calypso calypso

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back