• When posting, please be aware that artistic nudity is still nudity and not allowed under RpNation rules. Please edit your pictures accordingly!

Remember to credit artists when using work not your own.

Commission [1/4 available] Fantasy Sketches, Grumkins and Snarks! [Commish info-first post!]

Genius 👏 Brilliant 👏 Fan-freaking-tastic 👏
My boy is devilishly handsome ofc and I am in looooooove ♥

Excuse this ash-shaped puddle comprised of joyous tears. Nothing to see here.
Now excuse me whilst I go scream into a pillow somewhere.
Don't know what I'm going to do with you two 😭 😭 😭 ♥♥♥

I can hardly be credited, he's basically his own entity that just decided to take up residence in my brain one day 😂 ♥ but yesssss, Elias.... now complete with his own peri portrait to hang on my wall LOL.

I can hardly be credited, he's basically his own entity that just decided to take up residence in my brain one day 😂 ♥ but yesssss, Elias.... now complete with his own peri portrait to hang on my wall LOL.

And I could not be more honoured to paint him for you. Warms my heart that you always trust me with your characters!!!

woah, your art is so beautiful!! i love the bounciness all your doodles have, a lot of detail goes into the distinguishing facial features like the face shape and jawline. it's absolutely gorgeous wwwww
your style has such a beautiful usage of lighting to frame the face !!!

woah, your art is so beautiful!! i love the bounciness all your doodles have, a lot of detail goes into the distinguishing facial features like the face shape and jawline. it's absolutely gorgeous wwwww
your style has such a beautiful usage of lighting to frame the face !!!

Thank you so much for appreciating the little details! 💙

I love it when characters do that. XD

gQW8FNP.gif

Elias approves immensely 😏

For real, peri, so stunninggggggggggggg.
We're a bouncing, skipping, idiotic mess over here ahahaha
The man we loooooooove <3 <3 <3
Gonna have to buy some pretty frames so they can hang side by side <3 😘

lotus.png

I've seen this too many times to stay silent.

I'm writing this not only to inform everyone 'guilty' of this mistake but also to encourage artists to stand their ground. I'm not writing this for my own empowerment or any other selfish, self-centered reason.

Please, oh please, credit artists.

It might not seem obvious or necessary to you at first. You browse Pinterest for a few minutes. You find an image you like, which fits your OC almost perfectly. Perhaps after a few little tweaks, you post it to your RP or inspiration thread and feel accomplished you finally assigned a face to that name that's been on your mind ever since you started writing that amazing story. However, perhaps you don't think that, behind that image, there are hours and hours of effort in which an artist - a living person - sat bent over their tablet with an aching hand until 2 AM trying to get their piece of art just right, obsessing over the little highlights in that character's hair, struggling to get the light reflecting on their metal armour JUST perfect, flipping it every now and then and noticing yet another mistake which cost them an extra 20 minutes of work each time to fix.

It takes a couple of minutes to put the image into Google Image search and find the name of the artist who created it. A couple of minutes out of the hundreds that artist put into painting that piece which you thought was so perfect and represented your character so well. And no, not cropping the signature is not doing them a favour - most of the time, stylized signatures can be difficult to decipher.

So I am begging you. If you saw this, and if you read through my rambling this far, take a TINY fraction of your day to credit an artist when you use their art.

I'm not asking for you to pay for art. Nobody is. But others might be willing to, and I could not count the times I myself have been reached to for commissions THANKS TO the people who credited me wherever they reposted my art.

Thank you so much for understanding. Stay kind.

I'm writing this not only to inform everyone 'guilty' of this mistake but also to encourage artists to stand their ground. I'm not writing this for my own empowerment or any other selfish, self-centered reason.

It might not seem obvious or necessary to you at first. You browse Pinterest for a few minutes. You find an image you like, which fits your OC almost perfectly. Perhaps after a few little tweaks, you post it to your RP or inspiration thread and feel accomplished you finally assigned a face to that name that's been on your mind ever since you started writing that amazing story. However, perhaps you don't think that, behind that image, there are hours and hours of effort in which an artist - a living person - sat bent over their tablet with an aching hand until 2 AM trying to get their piece of art just right, obsessing over the little highlights in that character's hair, struggling to get the light reflecting on their metal armour JUST perfect, flipping it every now and then and noticing yet another mistake which cost them an extra 20 minutes of work each time to fix.

It takes a couple of minutes to put the image into Google Image search and find the name of the artist who created it. A couple of minutes out of the hundreds that artist put into painting that piece which you thought was so perfect and represented your character so well. And no, not cropping the signature is not doing them a favour - most of the time, stylized signatures can be difficult to decipher.

So I am begging you. If you saw this, and if you read through my rambling this far, take a TINY fraction of your day to credit an artist when you use their art.

I'm not asking for you to pay for art. Nobody is. But others might be willing to, and I could not count the times I myself have been reached to for commissions THANKS TO the people who credited me wherever they reposted my art.

To add to this: It's not just the amount of time spent on the piece that makes the art so valuable. It's the blood, sweat, and tears spent restlessly getting to the skill level that the artist is at to be able to make a decent-looking piece. Each picture tells a story of an artist who started out just like the rest of us: Young, naive, and frankly awful at drawing. Those countless years of tireless practice are also counted in the value of the work. Thank you.

To add to this: It's not just the amount of time spent on the piece that makes the art so valuable. It's the blood, sweat, and tears spent restlessly getting to the skill level that the artist is at to be able to make a decent-looking piece. Each picture tells a story of an artist who started out just like the rest of us: Young, naive, and frankly awful at drawing. Those countless years of tireless practice are also counted in the value of the work. Thank you.

That's very much true and thank you for adding to it. I'm hoping this will get to the right people. There are so many wonderful artists out there who don't get credited for their work. This has not happened to me (from my knowledge), and I'm so so lucky to have friends and commissioners who were kind enough to give me credit for my art.

Last edited:
From the RpN staff, if I may (ab)use my position and speak for them:

What Peri said. While we don't actively seek out uncredited works and make people add the credit in, we do explicitly suggest such credit under our anti-plagiarism rules. We can and have taken down art at the creator's request, upon receipt of proof that the person making the request is the creator. (This is a rare thing, though; mostly it seems, as Peri says, as if they just want to be properly credited.)

We want to encourage all artists, whether written, visual, or otherwise, in the expression of their creativity, not discourage them through the unauthorized use of their work.

*takes staff hat off*

And I say that as someone who's browsed the internet many a time in search of something close enough to match my image of an OC. ^;3^ But it's so easy to give credit when you do so, and even if you can't remember where you saved a particular image from or who the artist was, it's easy enough to do a reverse image search to find it again. If Google isn't working for some reason (it wasn't when I tried it just now) there's sites like TinEye Reverse Search Engine that can also do it, and you can just drag the picture from its folder on your computer into the browser window.

From the RpN staff, if I may (ab)use my position and speak for them:

What Peri said. While we don't actively seek out uncredited works and make people add the credit in, we do explicitly suggest such credit under our anti-plagiarism rules. We can and have taken down art at the creator's request, upon receipt of proof that the person making the request is the creator. (This is a rare thing, though; mostly it seems, as Peri says, as if they just want to be properly credited.)

We want to encourage all artists, whether written, visual, or otherwise, in the expression of their creativity, not discourage them through the unauthorized use of their work.

*takes staff hat off*

And I say that as someone who's browsed the internet many a time in search of something close enough to match my image of an OC. ^;3^ But it's so easy to give credit when you do so, and even if you can't remember where you saved a particular image from or who the artist was, it's easy enough to do a reverse image search to find it again. If Google isn't working for some reason (it wasn't when I tried it just now) there's sites like TinEye Reverse Search Engine that can also do it, and you can just drag the picture from its folder on your computer into the browser window.

Forever grateful for your understanding 💗 I know you guys can't go around and check every single post for credited artists, but I'm hoping enough people will read this and consider crediting if it simply hasn't crossed their mind as something they should be doing.

To add to your suggestion, you can google Google Images and click on the first link that pops up. It'll take you to the Google Images search tab where you can upload the pic or drag it to search for images. That's what I use whenever I'm searching for the author of something and it's super convenient and easy.

I am very guilty of this from my teens all the way up until now. My usual code of conduct is that I will post the image without credit and if someone likes it enough and asks who the artist is I will let them know. Which still is not the ideal situation. I think it has to do with the culture around online personas for years now. We are all shadowy mist behind our fake profile pictures and words. As many of us try to become who we aren't, but would like to be in real-life. It's so easy to just upload an image and forget about who created it because there is a sea of artists out there that we don't even give a second thought to the damage we cause by doing it.

I am guilty of this, on all accounts of the spectrum. However, in recent years I have gotten better; but I think it is important to note that while we strive to do whats right none of us are perfect and I still make this mistake from time to time.

To prevent this I would strongly recommend, and be an advocate for, an "by artist" field The Dark Wizard The Dark Wizard . If we can implement a sitewide "by artist" field to any images uploaded, including profile images, I believe many people would share the same sentiment that peritwinkle peritwinkle and many others share.

I would never knowingly represent your art without credit, and I shouldn't with other artists either as my partner is an artist and if I were to see their work shared without credit it would anger me deeply. I will work on giving proper credit to those responsible for the images I enjoy. Thank you for sharing your thoughts in this peritwinkle peritwinkle I think that many people would like to expose their favorite artists but aren't sure how or are very oblivious to the implications of their actions. I recognize, and respect you for this post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back