• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Fairy Tail: Legacy of the Twilight Prophet

Eias watched in anticipation as Luu took the card. The Web of Lies was known to be testing the mind. With illusions and such they presumed. What they didn't expect was for it to be on such a minor level, that it would mess with them the most. Subtle was one of the most dangerous around. It could creep upon you at any moment and strike when things are thin. She knew Aeris had trouble with emotions. Eias believed she could overcome this trial had it been obvious shifts. With subtle attacks, it would create complications. She couldn't let Aeris go along the whole time getting attacks like that... It would gnaw at her till there was no movement from her left. With the new information, Eias understood the sinister trials that lay ahead. The only one left was the Midnight Hour.

Just like Nil said, it was only known by elite members. They at least had a good lead. Meryl. They were going to see her eventually, but now it seemed like a must before the day ended. To her surprise, Luu seemed to have a slightly better idea of what may come than Nil did. Just that it was much more dreadful than they had imagined. In the back of eias mind, she secretly didn't want to know the answer to this trial. It would mean they would know what horrors lay before them. Knowing in advance may be tactically good, but mentally it may break them even before it comes. "
"thank you Luu. This information is very helpful. I figured the Web would be bad, just not this bad. Still, knowledge is power." She said, trying to be as perky as possible.
"Is there anything we can do in return? You came all the way here just for that. There as to be something."

Luula looked at the girls who seemed to be lost in thought and nodded.
"I have done it on my own volition." she said quietly "I know it is something very important and I just simply could not refuse this plea for help. Not after you have done so much for us. The kids are still enamored with you, Lilly keeps spreading your legends she fabricates herself to inspire the others. You became iconic figures in the orphanage and for that I will forever be grateful. You need not to repay my kindness, My Lady. Just come and visit us once all this madness is over, will you?"
A faint smile crept over the face of the Matron as she looked at the others.
"I am sorry that I had brought gloom to your day. I know that this particular trial might be difficult but somehow I have the certainty that together you should be able to overcome it."

Aeris said nothing. She kept her composure and kept nodding, knowing that due to the nature of this trial - and the horrors she heard about the last one - that this would be the one Eias would likely be confident enough to embark upon. It was a miracle how not even Eon had noticed the pale expression Aeris had in the artificial night, within horror and fear started to churn within her belly and she wanted to scream in fear. What the trial seemed to aim at was her weakest point... but so did the previous one with the constitution test for Eias. They seemed to be cornered: one of them will have to face their direst nightmares within the trials for the whole run. Normally Aeris would have volunteered without hesitation but this time... she felt fear prohibiting her to do so.
"Well, it seems we will not have the easiest time of our lives, now will we?" she finally managed to say in a voice which was fainter than usual but she quickly gained back her composure "Certainly trials like these will test our finesse more than anything, though the last one bothers me."
"As I said these are but whispers of what people were saying on the street." Luula emphasized "Some of them are overly paranoid, others are just wild exaggerations. Though I usually discard all of these superstitious ramblings I felt obligated to share them to give you the general feeling of what people had about this rare challenge and what they had heard."
Aeris glanced at Eias next to her.
"In any case it sounds like we have a lot to prepare for." she said, trying to keep her warm smile "We thank you for your aid once more, Luula. Knowing what a trial is about can bring forth... victory for sure."

The Matron remained silent as she just stared at the girls. She knew that the burdens upon them were great and was not certain how to properly address their fears either. She blinked once or twice as she finally began to talk.
"Love is perhaps the most important thing that can see you through these trials." she said quietly "The very notion of caring and being bound together is something that can make you persevere and triumph over any obstacle. Many over-complicate this but I firmly believe that this is the sole thing that one should possess if one wants to win: the unyielding faith in the other... and the willpower to hold on."
Aeris had to avert her eyes in shame for a moment but she nodded.

Eias felt ashamed that she couldn't help Luu more at the moment. Sure, they helped keep the orphanage safe but in the grand scheme of things, Luu was risking her well being just to be here. If things happened to her while she was out, it would be on them.
"well, even rumors have some weight to them. It's just picking through the stuff that doesn't make sense. Though, in a trial, I have no clue what does and doesn't make sense. This Web of Lies sounds like a tough one, but I am sure we will get through it well enough. We just need to beat it and win. With Aeris on my side, there isn't anything we can't do. We have faced off against crazier things than this. May not be a breeze but it should be easier than most." She said trying to life spirits. She knew that Aeris had trouble with feeling and emotions, but she also knew that Aeris felt love deep down. She knew the girl would find a way somehow to overcome this.

Whilst Luula's spirit was lifted by the passionate speech of Eias Aeris remained kind of stoic. She tried to conceal her worry through a faint smile but she still could not shake off her dreadful feeling of being tested more than she could endure. Bridling in her worries though she shook her head internally and nodded at her friend's words.
"Together we shall." she said curtly, knowing that saying much more than this would be risking her being discovered in her wavering faith.
Luula nodded again.
"I am glad that both of you feel up to the task. Remember: the perilous path is half as dangerous when tread upon by those who look out for each other but it is doubly as dangerous for those who do not trust one another."
She stood up, looking around in a hurried fashion.
"I wish I could stay longer but my conscience does not allow the children to stay unsupervised for much longer." she said with a worried look on her face "Aside from wishing you look I can offer only a friendly advice: though you will be able to unleash tricks and traps upon the other competing teams be careful whether you decide to do it or not. Hindering your opponent to make a sport more intense is one thing - crippling them with vile tricks is another. Victory might be within your reach that way but being despised by the whole nobility would be the price to pay."
She looked at the duo.
"I wish you luck with the trials ahead, My Lord, My Lady. I hope next we meet will be under less... dire circumstances."
And thus, without waiting for any of them replying she hurried away, leaving only a trace of serenity behind.

Luu brought up the good point of the kids being alone for so long. It would be terrible should dangers come by and she wasn't there.
"I understand. I hope you have a safe trip back." As the group was about to split, she caught Luu's voice once more. She heard the tips loud and clear. The chess game must be pretty crazy if even the nobility would hate you for gaining the upper hand. She wondered how often that happened especially just to win quickly. "That is actually some pretty good advice! Thanks. I will keep that in kind. For now, we should part ways. We have one more stop before we make a game plan. Safe travels back, and I hope the best for the little ones."
With that she made her way to the other two as the gathered up to leave. "Meryl lastly right?"

Aeris watched in silence as the Matron made her way out of the glade without saying anything more. Deep in her heart she had hoped that something else would happen as well, some secret advice the Matron could have bestowed upon them... but alas that was not to be the case. Leaving them alone in the glade she looked in the direction where their friend had fled and pondered about what was said.
"Yes, she is our best option." she managed to say finally, looking at Eias with a nod "She would surely give us the edge we need to win. However..."
She looked at the grass momentarily. She could not say it even if she wanted to. She could not admit her fears so instead she tried to guide her thoughts to a new trail to avoid the topic.
"We had been running around all morning. I think it would be wiser to actually settle down and eat something first. That should rejuvenate our spirits and would allow us to think straight."

Eon saw through her mistress though and was not pleased.
"With all due respect i find that folly." she protested "Wasting precious time when you do not even know when and where Meryl can be present is careless to say the least. Not to mention that you wish to spend tomorrow with rest and relaxation, you have little time for this."
She turned to Eias.
"In my humble opinion tiny snacks which could be consumed very quickly would suffice. That way you could go and search for Meryl whenever you pleased. Who knows how much time you will have in the end. Then again, maybe both of us are mistaken and Eias has a better idea formed up in her mind already, am I right?"
Aeris dared to say nothing so she just turned to her friend, her expression being blank as a paper.

She watched as Luu left the glade, lifting a hand in a wave good bye. It was nice that she came to see them and she hopped she had a safe travel back. These were dangerous times. Once Luu was out of sight, she noticed Aeris was watching her. Turing, she made eye contact. She could see the weariness of Aeris just from her eyes alone. They seemed heavy and tired. No doubt from all this information coming in. A lot of this dealt with subjects that Aeris didn't understand so she had to process it in a different manner.
"A small break and food does sound pretty good actually. It may take a good portion of our time, but we have to pace this out. Too much information and we may forget to ask the big questions along the way. I say a small break to talk and share our thoughts." Eias said in a leader like manner. Even if Meryl was busy today, she no doubt had to take a break herself. It would be at that moment they could ask her important questions.
"Now, lead the way to food!" She said clutching to Aeris shoulders.

Eon did not hide her momentary displeasure at hearing Eias' words but she knew all too well that it was probably to help out Aeris too. She wanted nothing more for the pair but to survive and become the victors but it seemed that the crimson-eyed girl was having her own doubts and fears she wrestled with. Folding her arms together, the spirit frowned and meekly walked up to them both, signaling that she was willing to accompany them. Aeris, with a faint smile, turned to her friend.
"Y-yeah, let us proceed then." she said, feeling the tug on her shoulders "I think I have seen a nice place where we can rest easy for a moment. A bit more crowded than this place... but still good."

The dining place Aeris had found for the team was more of a café than anything. Delicious foods were served as ordered but it was mostly for chatting and relaxation. A lot of outer exterior offered the breathtaking view of the city from high above whilst others were decorated with flowers and beautiful ornaments to accommodate the refined taste of the nobility dining there.
Just as she was lost in her thoughts the waitress brought the refreshing drinks, promising that the food would arrive shortly as well. Curtly thanking him Aeris turned to the girls.
"Thank you for allowing me to have this moment of respite. It is... more of a relaxing environment than anything. I just... I was lost in thoughts, that's all. Still, even as we rest here I can not stop thinking about the things that are to come. Perhaps... it would still be good to talk about it."
She stared at her drink emptily.
"It is without a doubt that the last trial would be the most difficult one. Even though we only know about two drafting an early plan on how to proceed might be something that we could do while we are waiting. One test will focus on the ability to deal with magic and constitution and the other with mind and feelings."
She sipped the drink.
"I guess the most considerate way of doing it is to do the Web first then the Illusion part. In that scenario we will have to deal with the no magic part in only two occasions whilst the lies part will follow us through the entire challenge. Problematic might be the part should we need help from one another, the subtle manipulation can achieve some tricky situations we can get stuck in..."
Eon frowned.
"You are speaking as if there would be only one way of approaching these tasks whilst there are indeed multiple. Discarding the other possibilities is nothing but superstitious fear. Present that one as well."
Aeris remained silent for a moment, glancing at Eias quickly before she returned her gaze to her drink.
"Well... doing it reverse would allow us to have a fairly easy first trial mentally at least... but it might be trying later on. Deprived from magic in few occasions might lead into tight situations but I guess that is similar to the first scenario. Thing is, we know not how the combinations work out. I want to choose the option with which Eias can cope with the best. She is the Matriarch of our family and is the most respected person too. I am here but an assistant in the game and I am here to ensure that she gets through it unscathed."
"Didn't you rave about not sacrificing yourself for others?" Eon raised her eyebrows.
"This is different." Aeris shook her head "My inability to cope with feelings might be a liability for us later on but it is something I dare to risk. If that could provide Eias a peace of mind even for briefly at the start we would get an advantage. On the other hand I know not how well can she cope without the magic coursing in her corset to help her. Mine is slowly subsiding and even know I am being trained by it so I will be able to muster up the strength... I think."
Eon frowned again.
"All you say are presumptuous, wishful thinking." she said angrily, turning to Eias "Not asking Eias about HER opinion would be rather foolish! Deciding this alone is not only silly but careless too. That being said... what are your opinions of the strategy, Eias? You are the head of this makeshift family, your word counts perhaps the most."

As the came to the cafe, Eias immediately ordered a tea and a small finger sandwich. It was crowded like Aeris said but it was crowded enough that people couldn't overhear them unless they got right up to them. That was a saving grace as they talked strategy in this game. Who knew who was on the opposing teams side. As the food came, Aeris brought up the idea of planning. It was a fair thing to do since they had time to rest and understand the problems that would be coming.

As the talking went on, Eias frowned more and more as she listened to the two talk. Self sacrifice and backtracking wasn't the best of planning things out. When Eon brought Eias into the conversation she was paralyzed for a moment.
"Well... I mean, having you loosing your mind isn't the best of strategy. You may have your fortitude but that doesn't really help when you can't think straight. Sorry to say. Same goes for me the other way. I may have a good sense of self, but that won't do much if I just lay there in pain. Considering the last one is still a mystery, who knows what would be in store for us.... That being said, I think we need to do the magic sapping one first. We will still be able to think things through for a short period and I can still move for a short while. What I do think we should do is play a little mind game on the opponents. We get to do things to inhibit them and we can unleash them at any time... What if we didn't? What if we just let them slow themselves down for a while as the grow suspicious of the lack of traps. Who knows, maybe it will get us brownie points in the trials. That is just my thoughts on the matter."

Aeris had to sip her beverage to give herself a pause in thinking. Hearing that Eias would choose the one which required constitution made her think about her intent. Deep down she was overjoyed but she still had her reservations - it was one thing to think about it like this and was a complete other to actually make it into reality. Truth be told she was rather... afraid of the other challenges but she was also afraid of Eias' well being. Without knowing how much pressure would be on them she did not want to pass judgment.

When Eias spoke up about being considerate about the traps for their enemies she began to think.
"I am usually against the idea of lashing out against others, especially in competitions." she said quietly, looking at Eias "I agree, perhaps keeping them in uncertainty is a greater weapon than actually utilize ours. Whilst there is no telling whether they would do the same one thing is certain: the one who keeps trying to dig the grave of the others would be one that is most shunned. Remember that this competition is as much about grace and virtue as it is about victory. Those who fight with dishonorable deeds and constantly seek to hinder their opponents... would likely be shunned just as Luula said."
Eon nodded.
"And perhaps it could earn you some sort of truce as well. If you attack the opponents not they might consider keeping this honorful pact as well. The trials sound difficult as they are, the last thing one wants to worry about is rivalry in a harsher sense."
She frowned.
"One thing bothers me a bit. With the magic sapped from you the illusion from Aeris will fade as well. I know Latosius sees through it with ease but everyone else seem to keep the image of her being a Lord than a Lady. I only hope that this will not cause you any issues."

Aeris frowned and looked at her friend.
"I think it can not be helped. Some way we will overcome this hurdle. But again, I wish to refrain from choosing an order to the trials until we know what the last one is. Horrifying it may be for others it might be easier for us for all we know."
She herself had difficulties accepting this monologue but she nodded to herself, sipping her drink.
"Losing the game is not my concern, nor is losing my cool in there. My only worry is losing you, Eias." she looked up again "I know you are strong-willed and clever but I can not help but worry for your well being. I will try and do everything in my power to shelter you from everything - as your Guardian in the trials it is not only my duty but is also my pleasure. You are... too important to me."
She blushed as she said the last sentence but she also smiled a bit.

Eias grew amused by the agreement the two came to. It seemed the best choice in everyone's eyes were to not use the traps. Whether or not the others would use the traps was up in the air. From what she heard, they may be more gentlemenly than they thought. She didn't understand the full idea of being shunned but she knew that wasn't the answer to problems. They came here to unite and being shunned would be like falling down the flight of stairs they had climbed.
"I am glad we came to this agreement... and I am also concerned by your thoughts as well. I hadn't even thought of your magic being sapped like that. The crowd seeing who you are.. only fate will tell us what will happen. I know you will always be there for me, and I want you to know I will also be there for you." She said matching the blush and smile.
"Even if we can't find Meryl in the next two days, we will still win this. We won't let some conditions get in the way of us achieving more for the city, people, and ourselves."
Pleased with her thoughts, she finished her tea and sandwich.

The positive thoughts now flowing through the conversation made Aeris lighten her mood a bit. She was still a bit at the edge and was frankly rather stressed out about the things that were to come but she was positive that so was everyone else. She looked left and right a bit, enjoying the view... when she heard a familiar voice not too far from them.
"Thank you, I will have the usual."
The elegance and beauty that radiated from Meryl as she entered with a waiter behind her back on one of the outer balconies not too far from them was amazing. Seeing her mostly in her child-like form Aeris was prone to forget that in reality both her and Eon were way older than any of them combined. That grace and the wisdom of the ages were flowing freely from the presence of the ice spirit, her elegant form seemingly floating above ground as her gentle steps made to the table she was sitting at.

Many nobles gazed in her direction as she did so - yet there was no envy or jealousy in their eyes. Admiration and awe were the feelings they were giving off, feelings which made Aeris question of just how long had her spirit been visiting this sanctum. It did not seem that Meryl had noticed either of them, the spirit was too lost in her thoughts to pay attention. Though smile was her perfect guise Aeris could feel her disturbance in her heart faintly... and thus she felt compelled to feel compassion.
"Well, that is some unexpected turn of events." Eon murmured, clearly surprised.
"This IS the best café in Ca-Elum, according to the Lord. I am not very shocked myself... though yes, it is quite fortunate." Aeris commented.

The entire mood of the café had changed since Meryl had entered. An aura of dignified nobility descended to the diners, filling their talks with eloquent topics and wisdom. Aeris was pretty sure this was no magic's doing either: the mere presence of the adviser simply captivated everyone around her without her even noticing. Such charm was... frankly alien to her.
"Well... we could rush her down somehow here I guess." Aeris murmured, turning to Eias "That would be tossing all manners aside. Maybe we could request an audience with her instead?"
"That would be formal but way too visible to the others around." Eon frowned, turning to Eias too "How should we proceed? Should we just leave her alone now completely? Or try to approach her somehow?"

Eias held her cup gently as her party seemed to find a way to calm down from all this stress. All these factors weren't great for them to deal with all at once but they could make it through it. Just as she was about to set the cup down, the atmosphere changed around them. People stopped talking for the moment and she could audibly hear the voice of Meryl not too far away. The cup made, what felt like, a loud clank before the patrons of the cafe went back to talking. Talking differently but still talking.
"It is a hard choice... though I don't think a direct questioning would be smart. I think we need to simply exit first and catch her on her way out. It seems she needs some peace of mind right now."

Aeris nodded and soon Eon followed suite.
"You are right. Rushing to her right now would be folly. And besides..." she looked around, truly impressed "I never had guessed that she had such an impact on people before. Sure she was charming in a way but this... it is new to me."
"Annu-Rah can be very brilliant if she so desires." Eon said "She rarely does, however. She claims not to like this kind of aura that permeates her. She knows that such power comes with respect from others but she loathes to be revered as a spirit of wisdom. Though she is stalwart and resolute in her duties she wishes mostly to mingle with others rather than teach them."
Aeris raised her eyebrow but Eon continued, turning to her and Eias.
"You have to understand that she is the keeper of much wisdom of this world - and thus she feels a heavy burden of responsibility to keep all of this safe. She knows much and tells little for she knows that the truth might just crush those who are ill-prepared for it. Because of this... be prepared that even if you question her she might not give full answers."

She pondered a little, glancing over to her sister who seemed to enjoy the harmony.
"Mortal eyes can not perceive truth as hers do. She had honed her skills in the past so much that even I have difficulty with keeping up with her. When it comes to safekeeping knowledge know that she will make no exceptions for anyone: Meryl considers everyone as an equal even if it comes to previous personal ties. She might have a tender relationship with you two but expect no leniency when you ask her about the trial. She is stern and resolute in her faith that knowledge must be safeguarded."
Aeris was a bit silent.
"So what can we do?"
"You should think carefully about what you want to ask." Eon nodded, glancing at both of them "That you formulate your questions properly. That you ask her things you know you too wish to know the answer to. Convince her that you are ready for the tasks ahead... and more."

Eias kept glancing back to Meryl as the conversation took off. She seemed complacent. Not happy, not sad. Just neutral. In some ways, Eias felt sorry for her. Before ever seeing her on this city, she always thought the spirit was fun loving and a bit out there. Now she wasn't sure. Meryl was an amalgam of secrets and emotions. They were just well locked away from the public unlike her sister. Eias believed that Meryl did care for them deeply though. She was just unsure out to go about expressing it. Especially now that Eias knew about the ritual that would happen sooner or later. She couldn't imagine the pain the spirit was going through.
"Well, if we need to come up with a good question.. how about this. If we could get a theme for each trial what would it be? That way we can easily tell what is what now that we know the other two themes."

Eon began thinking as she listened to Eias' speech. She had not actually thought something like this up but she was actually curious where Eias wanted to go with this. Aeris perked her ears as she glanced over to the fire spirit who was humming uneasily.
"A theme... that is a good idea." she said finally, nodding "Imagining the essence of the trials and bringing them forth to replicate their intricacies in words would definitely be to Meryl's liking. Though you had not heard her be her elder self - except perhaps Aeris when she was but a child - she likes riddles very much or things which delve into the depths of the meaning of things. According to her it puts her mind at ease and helps her to concentrate."
Aeris nodded.
"If what you are say is right then Eias' plan is the best course of action we can have."
"Indeed. I assume you have some ideas in mind of how to name these trials?"

As Aeris and Eias were asked for definitions she noticed something in the distance. The calm presence of Meryl was now shifting ever so slowly to their direction. She knew that the spirit probably only scanned the area randomly and thought nothing of it. That was until she looked at the spirit directly to catch a glimpse of her azure blue eyes. The mystical pair of orbs fixated upon her for but a second but they were enough to entrance her momentarily. Immediately she felt the world twist for a moment around her, catching glimpses of things... things she could not understand. She saw Meryl and Eon fall on a floor lifelessly. She saw Eias and her hugging, sheltering each other from a terrible storm. She saw Eias battling with something monstrous. She saw...

"Are you all right, Aeris? You seemed to phase out completely." the voice of Eon brought her back to her senses as she shook her head. When she momentarily glanced back at Meryl she saw how the spirit was minding her own business, talking to a noble with a very calm manner. Shaking off the terrifying feelings she had she turned back to the duo.
"Uh oh, yes, certainly. I am fine, don't worry." she said "Well the Web is definitely mental origin, it is to test the mind and intricacy of one's emotions and mental finesse. Opposed to this the Illusion shattering one revolves around physical constitution and the reliance on not having magic. Definitely strength based."
Eon nodded.
"I think that is an apt description from your part. What about you, Eias?"

Just as Aeris was phased out so too did Meryl seek the attention of Eias too. She caught only a glimpse of her attention but this was enough to cause the girl to see things... different yet similar ones. The guild fighting in a desperate battle against forces unknown. Eias' and Aeris' flight from undead monstrosities. A vision of darkness where she stood before a shadowy demon with a resolute face. And finally...
A tendril of darkness impaling Aeris.

Eias was happy with herself for thinking up something like that on the fly. It probably wasn't the best way to ask but it would do the job in getting information. She listened to the reasoning behind why Eon thought it was a good idea. To be honest, Eias felt that was the case for Meryl. A trickster at heart with a need to keep things secrets. It seemed the spirit changed attitudes depending on their form as well. In her subconscious, Eias wondered what a grown Eon would be like. Perhaps more mature yet doesn't take fault unless it truly is hers. That sounded right to her.

As she let the image falter, she came to notice Aeris growing more anxious. She appeared to be frozen in place and she couldn't tell why. She just continued to stare at the direction of Meryl. She went to go grab her shoulder yet Aeris shrugged the trance off. She lowered her hand but held a skeptical face as her friend said everything was alright. She looked back in the direction where Aeris was starting only to meet the gaze of Meryl. Her eyes went wide with confusion and fear. As the scenes played out, she grew more fearful of the realistic vision and lost her breath at seeing the result of Aeris. Her vision blurred and all she could hear was her heart pumping. Sound drowned out, she was all alone.

Aeris was shaken from the strange images that haunted her temporarily. She found it weird that they had come so suddenly but she felt she needed to somehow regain her composure and straighten herself if they were to properly discuss everything. Looking at Eon as she asked her question she saw their friend was seemingly in a strange phasing-off state as well. For a moment she did not mind... not until she saw the panic coalescing on her face. Immediately she pulled herself closer to her as she saw Eias' face turning pale.
"Eias, are you all right?" she asked, concerned. When no answer arrived at first she clutched her hand, trying to encourage her with the least panicked voice possible "Worry not, I am here for you."
She leaned even closer, trying to comfort the girl.
"It is all right, Eias, worry not. We are here for you. Please calm down! Come back to us."

She turned her gaze away from the trio as she resumed her drinking session. A regrettable decision was what she did now but one she knew needed to be done. Powerful both of them they may be but they could not possibly conceive the coming storm's intensity. She did. She did all too well.
Meryl turned her gaze to the sky momentarily as she watched the afternoon sun blazing through it with its radiance. She was remembered her sister, their fight... and the plight the girls had ahead of them. She remembered the moment when Latosius told her what the trials would be... and it was then when she felt compelled to do whatever necessary.
She touched her waist and was satisfied that she no longer hissed at the pain. The training she asked Latosius for worked. To witness and endure the horrors that may be to come she knew she had to purge herself of all influences that might plague her. She had to go through everything in order to ensure the success of the trials.
She had to ensure the success of the girls.

She now stood up. Her clothes floated in the air briefly as she looked at the horizon once more. She needed to take a deep breath, something to remind her that her duty was not yet done. She glanced once more towards the girls and this time she shot a message at Eon's mind.
"Guide them to my room when they are ready. I will be waiting. I recommend haste, sister."
And thus she turned around and with a graceful smile she nodded at the waiters, making her way into the depths of the palace.

Eias flinched hard as Aeris came to help her. All she knew was her legs would not move. She was stuck in place reliving the images that flowed through her mind. All the lives... Aeris life. Why were they ending so shortly. Deep down, it felt like it was the real thing. It seemed like they had been projected into the future of dark times.

Once Meryl looked away, the images faded yet the feeling still lingered.
"I... I don't know... if I'm okay right now... I don't know what just happened." Saddened, she turned her face into Aeris to conceal her fright. It wasn't right seeing what just played out. Something didn't add up right.
"Visions... dreams or the like that she couldn't put into word just yet.
"What is going on?"

Aeris released a sigh of relief as she saw Eias somewhat calming down. Truth be told she was as clueless as Eias and her fears still gripped deeply just as her friend's, probably. It was not something she had experienced before, lucid dreams or visions never came to her at all. After the long time she had with dreaming about the death of her brother - which she now knew not whether it was an illusion or reality - she had not felt the embrace of uncertainty coiling around her. Not until now, that is. The images which appeared before her so clearly as day frightened her momentarily and she had to gather all her composure to try and be calm.

"I... do not know." she said with a quivering voice "I had... something... dark just now. Something frightening. Something... strange. I can not explain too well... dreams, visions something like that. They felt very real."
Eon at first did not understand their fright but as Aeris explained it it was all too clear what caused them. With that combined Meryl's message made a lot of sense as well. She sighed as she walked up to the girls, nodding.
"I think you have seen something Annu'Rath always refers to as Glimpses. Views into possible future events that may or may not transpire based on the path you choose to walk on. These 'visions' are things which are seen and experienced by few... exactly because of the reaction you had now. Few can endure the burden of knowing possible futures. And due to that nature it is clear to me who allowed you to see some..."
She sighed.
"She sent me a message after you two began to cuddle. She asks us to meet her whenever you feel ready." she glanced at Eias "But I supposed we can linger around a bit longer so that you two can rest."

Aeris clutched Eias more, holding her close. If she was so terrified of the things she had seen she did not want to know what could possibly transpire in her mind right now. All she knew was that she had to protect her... at all cost. And thus she just hugged her, held the girl close and stroke her hair in a comforting fashion.

Eias lost herself in Aeris arms. She dug her head into her shoulder as she placed a hand on her friends chest where the possible strike would hit. When and where was still out of place. It could be near the guild hall or it could be two different areas. These black magics were dangerous, she knew, but they were hitting close to home now. She just let herself get squeezed as she listened to Eon. It seemed Meryl was prepared to seem them now, though, she wasn't sure how friendly she would be. Did she give them these visions on purpose or was it just a spur of the moment thing? Either way, they had to ask the questions, but were they ready.

A couple of breaths later, Eias gently broke from Aeris. She dusted herself off in an attempt to further calm down but it was hard. She still shook in place.
"I suppose now is as good as any time. Even if it is bad news.. we are already freaked out. Might as well get through it all at once."

Aeris was as shaken as her friend but allowed Eias to burrow her face into her. It felt... strangely nice, a now familiar warmth filled her breast as she was smiling briefly. Listening to Eon's explanation she knew that Eias was right: they needed to head off as soon as possible even if it were terrible news that awaited them. She shuddered to think what Meryl had in store for them but she felt that it was necessary if they were to advance. Slowly and steadily she stood up and helped Eias to follow in suit.
"I concur. Show us the way, Eon. We need to depart now."
The spirit nodded at her as she waved, motioning the two of them to walk with her.

The palace was rather silent in this part, partly because only the elite were allowed in here, partly because the people were still out in the open chatting and walking so early in the afternoon. Aeris was actually glad that they did not make heads to turn after them: unnoticed, they moved towards their destination slowly and steadily. She had actually partially forgotten how elegant and luxurious this part of the palace was - and was amazed at the ornamented door before they stopped. Elegantly crafted, the massive wings had the mark of frost on them, signaling that this indeed was the room they were looking for. It was then when Eon turned to the both of them.
"I will return to our room and meditate a bit. You should go and meet her alone."
Aeris frowned.
"But didn't you want to meet her?"
"She specifically asked for the two of you. I shall not interfere." she said, bowing her head and quickly excusing herself. As the girls turned towards the door it slowly swung open, ushering them in.

The aura around everything in the room was serene and calm, no disdain or darkness was present at all. The cool light of the fireplace was dancing happily as the two of them made their way into the middle where Meryl stared outside of the window with a stern, resolute look on her face. Hearing the footsteps behind her she did not turn just yet... but nodded.
"You have come, then." she said calmly and quietly "My sister had the discreteness within her to leave us all be... a wise decision on her part."
Aeris said nothing but felt as if Meryl was way... colder now than usually. As the spirit turned around she noticed the wisdom, burden and age all in her eyes, belying her youthful appearance were eons of experience now shining in her orbs. As the spirit looked at both of them she released a sigh of relief.
"You probably have a lot of questions and not all shall be answered. You probably have a lot of fears and lot will not be realized. You probably have a lot of pressure on yourselves which will not be lifted. But still, I stand here before you."
She nodded.
"We have much to discuss and little time. Ask away, Ladies."

As they walked the halls, they had no followers nor people looking towards them. A peaceful time for them as there was no shame in showing a little more emotion. Slowly they made their way to the meeting room for Meryl. It seemed normal at first but that didn't mean there wasn't magica upon it. It housed the wisdom spirit after all.

Not too soon after they walked up, Eon briskly showed herself back to the room they slept it. Eias couldn't even get a word in for her to stay before she was gone. A hit of sadness came over her. Wether the spirits were still mad at one another, she didn't know, but that was probably a reason for them to stay away. With an eerie feeling wafting to them, the door opened.

Walking inside, they soon met the spirit who seemed distant and cold. It wasn't what Eias was used to. For whatever reason Meryl had changed. For better or worse was not for her to decided, but she wasn't feeling as welcomed as she once was.

There were so many questions she wanted to ask. Personal and not, but it would only anger her. She was sure of it. It would be best to stick with the plan for now, then ask afterwards.
"Alright then... we wanted to primarily ask about the trials. More so, what the Themes of each trial is. We have the cards right here." She said pointing to Aeris.

Aeris nodded as she was ready to pull the cards out to show them to the spirit - but right before she could do so Meryl raised her hand in objection, looking at them sternly.
"You need not to remind me which trials are in place this time. I was one of them who chose them." she said calmly, surprising Aeris in the process. Unlike the other aidies Meryl seemed to be well prepared for every twist and turn of event and now she was about to dispense judgment and hopefully knowledge.
"No doubt you have went and gathered as much intel about everything you could. It is but a hunch but should it be right it was a wise decision nonetheless. However, wisdom alone will not make you prevail - it is what is within you that allows you to triumph. Something that... is required to overcome the plight ahead of you."
She walked to the window for a moment, glancing at the slowly setting sun before she turned back to them.
"Themes you wish to ask of me? Eon was more crafty then I anticipated... preparing you to what might await you even here. Clever girl... and bold of her to dare to assume the mantle I would take just for the sake of this trial. Alas... she is not entire incorrect."
Aeris now stepped forward.
"We have come to ask for your help, Meryl. I know that this charade is necessary to keep it professional but I am certain that we can solve it in a civilized way too."

Meryl's face remained unamused.
"You are presumptuous, Aeris. And naive too, though I can not blame you." she said, turning to Eias "You have known my for a short while, My Lady, but you have to understand that I have a duty to fulfill. All of us spirits do. Mine is the guarding of knowledge and infinite possibilities of the universe, a vast, expanding world which few can comprehend. Even I have to keep on learning every day to make my mind as expansive as possible. To this end I tend to... turn cold as you might have noticed - cold logic prevails over emotions."
She nodded.
"Before being shackled to Aeris I was mostly like this, that is why Eon knows me well. Rarely did I interact with anyone, let alone with mortals - the younger races. I had a duty I wished to fulfill, knowledge to amass, wisdom to preserve, truth to unearth - that is why I came in contact with Lord Latosius in the first place. A similar seeker of knowledge from another nature he was eager to share his ancient heritage with me. Over time I realized how harsh yet how effective these trials were - that is why I advocated this journey of yours. That is how Kuuna found her way to you so easily."

Aeris' eyes widened.
"Wait... her arrival was your doing? This mission... was it your idea?"
"That is an overstatement." Meryl shook her head "Ever since the moment of your meeting I felt great potential within you and I felt the obligation to try and shepherd you into the right direction, being a torch in the darkness to follow. Yet every single turn, every single twist you have done led farther astray from the path of the normal people - it was then where I realized that it is not possible to just try and show you the way - you two have to find your own path, your own destiny... your own fate."
She paused, for the first time a faint smile appearing on her face.
"Let's just say that I ushered in something that would leave its mark on you forever, a chance to grow. It was merely an offer, something that you opted to accept - much to my curiosity. Every day filled me with the questions that haunted me for ages past. Would you triumph? Would you fail? The veil around you warped with every step you made ever since you arrived, the tangled line of truth was never more fascinating than this. The wheels of time, the fabric of the universe... it all was shifting ever so slowly ever since you began your journey. It was... something extraordinary."
She paused again, stopping before them.
"And now you are here - hardened, elegant, ready for action. The youth, the passion, the cunning and the tenacity you possessed even before you arrived are now hardened by toughness, resolve and courage too. The question yet remains, Aeris, Eias: do you REALLY possess the courage and skill to win? Do YOU believe in yourselves? Do you... wish to know what the final test will be about?"

Sadly, the conversation didn't go as planned. Surly somewhere In her words there was a hint but it was far from obvious. The simple remark to them didn't help much, but, if they were to think hard about it they may get there. Quickly the conversation. Spiraled out of control. Control in her hands at least. After each sentence, she felt more and more pained as to what was going on.

Meryl seemed to know they had and are searching for answers. She knew how they felt enternally. If Meryl truly was this cold as always, Eias didn't Mike it. What really infuriated Eias was hearing her use her as bait. She sent kuuba and all of this began spiraling out of control. She felt her fists curl and harden and begain go lightly grind her teeth.
"Oh we are ready. We can take anything you throw at us. You can give us a straight answer or not, we will not fail. Just you wait and see." She said with passion and fire in her eyes. She would be damned if she let Meryl got the better of them in such a way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back