• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Fairy Tail: Legacy of the Twilight Prophet

As they entered the room Aeris saw her friend immediately walking over to her bed and she smiled, following her. The little fire spirit stopped in her tracks as she watched the two of them sit down peacefully... and was relieved. It seemed Eias was handling her clothes just fine for the moment and it appeared that even Aeris had returned from the delirium she had. Though Eon had her ideas of what could it possibly be she kept it for herself as she watched them from afar.

"Well a little massage would not hurt I think." she said, sitting down next to her, gently seizing the girl's shoulders, beginning the massage with a smile "A lot of burdens weigh on our shoulders... a pity we can not use the spas like we did back in Magnolia. They would certainly soothe our spirits I reckon!"
The girl chuckled as she continued to give her friend the gentle movements.
"I feel like the luckiest person right now, you know. I will have an elegant feast in the company of my beautiful "wife" and my charming little "daughter". In a way it lifts my spirits more than it should, I believe. It just feels like that these moments worth every little bit of pain I have to go through!"
Eon shuddered a bit but said nothing at first. After watching the girls for a while, however, she did speak up.
"I will head out and leave you two to be. Meet me at the hallway on the way to the dinner hall whenever you are ready."
With that she left the girls alone to enjoy each other's company for this short time.

The hall was surprisingly empty as Eon waited, pondering upon what the future might bring. She was still worried about the chess game as Meryl had told her stories of the various difficult trials they will need to face. Regardless of that the little spirit was convinced that whatever challenge these nobles will throw at her 'mother' and 'father' will be nothing that they can't solve. Still... uneasiness took hold in her heart.

Eias lifted her shoulders from the sudden massage that came. That was the last thing she expected today but was one of the most welcomed. With a somber smile, she sat and accepted it. Once Eon left, it was just the two of them. All these thing swirled in Eias' mind but she wasn't sure where to start.
"Uhh.." She started, just trying to eek out a word. "Aeris..." Once more with the clear trouble in voice. "I wanted to ask. What was the deal in the forest? You seemed pretty stunned there for most of it. I had to practically drag you. You feeling okay? do we need to loosen those bonds so you can get some air?" She said worried. "Be honest with me. It is important that you are healthy. Not just for me, not just for Eon. It is important for you. Who knows what could happen if you had a reaction like that during a battle. I don't want to picture it.."

Aeris moved her hands down to massage the parts of Eias' body which were close to the corset with the simple purpose to make her blood flow fluidly despite the restrictions. Even under the soft, elegant clothes Aeris could feel the heaving Eias had to do to gain as much oxygen as she would normally would and guilt began swirling within her for a moment. She was fine with the price that she had to pay but she was not fine with Eias having to do the same if not worse. As her hands moved up and down around her sides she heard her friend speaking up and mentioning a topic she wanted to... avoid at best.
"It... is not my corset I think." she began silently, her hands emanating slightly warm pulses to make her friend more comfortable. "If anything the corset is... energizing me for some reason. I... can not explain how and why but it feels... good to wear it to an extent. It gives me unexpected fervor and energy I did not have before. In a way... I feel I am in my element... and this is amplified whenever I am with you."
She paused for a bit.
"I really do not want to think about the implications it might mean... I have a hard time figuring out what feelings are like and going in depth into this would be a folly on my part I feel. However... I think I know the reason why I acted like that..."

She closed her eyes, slightly pulling Eias closer to embrace her, the warmth of her palms now radiating joy to the body of her Muse.
"The night before was... something unique and unusual to me. It... it was nothing I have ever felt before. But... it depleted my energies so dangerously that I almost collapsed. When you put on my corset at my behest I literally felt my lungs exploding and my body shriveling for those moments... and it took me until the blessed shades of the forest to embrace me to actually regain my strength enough to be... composed."
She held Eias tight, perhaps tighter than a normal hug should last... almost as if she was protective of her.
"I remember one point... I felt it so clearly like I never did before... during that night you took my breath away... I felt... exhilarated and afraid as I felt being in literal limbo. It.. hurt, burned me with such a gentle flame that nothing ever before could come close to it. The cleansing flame of burning sensation dulled all my senses until I could not fight it. Then it ebbed... and I felt your heartbeat being the sweetest rescuing sound in the world."
She closed her eyes.
"I do not understand it, Eias. But I am not afraid of it either. I have had my fair share of pain when I was alone. This... is different. This... is almost sweet. And it means being with you... so this is what I chose. I may show moments of weakness like in the gardens its true..." she smiled, snuggling with her friend "But I trust you to catch me should I fall."

She felt the hands of Aeris warm up as she began to think about the question. It was no doubt on purpose due to it being a light warmth that soothed the pain in the body. Even when Aeris began to answer, the warmth never stopped. When Eias heard how her friend was so inviting to the clothing, she wasn't taken aback. She was sure she knew all along. The crimson eyed girl always seemed to find strength in restriction.

She blushed she Aeris mentioned the activities last night. It wasn't something she really had ever done before. Knowing that Aeris felt a strange mix of good and bad didn't make Eias feel any better. She wasn't sure how to take it.
"You know, I always had a hunch that is how you worked. Restriction did have some synergy with you. And you are correct. I will always catch you when you're in trouble. You can count on that." She said as she embraced the snuggling. She snuck a peck on the cheek before she slipped away from her friends arms.
"Say, in feeling pretty hungry. Shall we head out?"

Aeris reached the end of the massage when she heard Eias speaking up. Frankly, when she heard what the girl thought about her her heart sank. A dark blush covered her cheeks as she kept up the smile she had before only to conceal her pain this time from the revelation. Wast THAT truly her? A person who reveled in... restriction, as gently as Eias had put it? Despite all her efforts to make it different was it this obvious? Or was Eias this omnipotent to see through the charade she put on? At this moment she could not decide... and she could not care. She felt this dull pain in her chest as she drank in the truth.
She had to blink once or twice to actually regain her composure, her gaze following Eias as she stood up. It did not actually occurred to her that their time was already up, so caught up she was in the chat. Shaking herself she nodded.
"Y-yes, that is a good idea." she managed, standing up and walking next to her friend. "It would be... unwise to keep Lord Latosius waiting. Let us... depart together."
With that she began the stride towards the place where Eon was meeting with them... whilst her head and mind was swirling in the thoughts from the words Eias had uttered to her. Some way, somehow... she did not deny the truth of what her friend stated. However, that did not mean that she was not horrified from it... and saddened.

"... you have told her about our covenant!" Meryl's voice was frothing with rage as her eyes shot an uncharacteristic glare at her sister. Eon did not try to deny it nor did she make any movement to look away: she stared defiantly, albeit sadly, at her sister.
"Did you actually tell her the true story? Everything?" Meryl asked, trying to calm down.
"No, only that we are bound. Nothing else."
The ice spirit almost literally froze as her hands were shaking.
"You do realize that without the context it can seem much worse, right?" she said, exhausted "She could treat Aeris a monster for it while she had no saying in it!"
Eon remained silent.
"Of all the reckless acts you have done in the past this is by far the worst... and the most selfish one! We had agreed long ago, Eoniaya! We had sworn never to reveal it, especially not like this!"
"Meryl, I..."
The frost spirit raised her hand.
"I heard enough. I must leave to ponder. They should be arriving any time soon anyway." she began walking away, looking at her sister one last time as she did "You disappointed me greatly, sister. I hope you are content for disturbing Eias with something not even Aeris knows about."

The little fire spirit felt guilt surging in her stomach as her dearest sister left her alone in the middle of the room. Nobles hurried back and forth around Eon but for her none of that mattered. Her world seemed to just fall apart gradually... everything that happened to her seemed to just hurt no matter what and now even this caused turmoil to boil to the surface. Her emotion laced tears began to flow from her eyes only for them to immediately dry up from the heat that was radiating from her.
"What have I done..." she whispered.
"Done what?" the voice of Aeris rang from behind her as Eon spun around. The two elegant girls made their way slowly into the hallway, walking diligently and exquisitely as they did so. Eon saw the radiant beauty that was Eias clearly and saw the elegance in Aeris a well - although it was evident that her mood was laced with sorrow. A knot formed in he belly, fearing that Eias might have told the girl what happened. Composing herself she cleared her throat and smiled at the duo.
"Oh my, you two look breathtaking!" she said, meaning what she said "Eias you look stellar! Aeris you radiate confidence! You will certainly be the stars of the feast." she motioned towards the closed door behind them "The feast will take place there and the attendant told us that we may enter whenever we desire. As it is customary the Matriarch - Eias - should go first to impress the host with her beauty and confidence."
She sighed and nervously glanced around.
"Well, if we are all ready... I am ready I think... The honor is your, Mother. But we can catch our breath here if you need a little rest before going, I am fine with anything!"

Eias' face fell a little seeing how Aeris was reacting to her thoughts. she didn't mean any harm by it! It was simply an opinion based on what she had seen. Aeris always did do better when she was level headed. Once the girl rose, they left quickly. It was a quiet walk as she couldn't come up with things to say at the moment. She could imagine all the crazy thoughts her friend must be thinking at this moment. All the troubles she just laid upon her when she didn't mean anything by it. It wasn't till Aeris broke the silence as she called out to Eon. As Eias walked up, she felt something else was off. Eon seemed down too. Was it because the two were connected that things spiraled out this way? A small pain in her stomach came just thinking of how she hurt two people in one. As Eon praised her however, she lifted a smile and gazed around. There wasn't too much going on at the moment. Just nobles being nobles as they were.
"No, no, I think we should just stroll in now. I am famished and I am sure everyone has been waiting far too long. There may be something called fashionably late, but there is also fashionably early!" She said as she walked to the doors. Placing her hand on the knob, she turned back to the family as best she could. With a reassuring nod, smile, and wink, she turned the knob and pushed inward. Taking a few steps inwards to the room.

Aeris nodded at the confidence of Eias, happy that she needed no longer to delve on these issues for the moment. She was consumed by these thoughts up until now and she wanted to shut them out at least temporarily - at least while the evening was going on. No matter what self-loathing actions she had thought to happen to herself she wanted to ensure that her makeshift family was having the best time that was possible. And so after she walked up to the seemingly troubled fire spirit to clutch her tiny hands she nodded at Eias and beheld the wonders as she opened the doors.

The room was far from fancy, it looked rather plain and cozy - but Aeris knew better. The architecture itself was made by magical smiths who made sure that the similar happy vibes would be given off by the walls here as it was in their sleeping room: the entirety of the dining room reflected the place one had in his or her heart as their deepest desires, the places they wish to visit the most. Admiring the incredible spellwork the father figure followed her friend into the hall where elegant attendants were waiting for them.
Clearly from the lower castes these servants did only bow to the radiance that Eias emanated as they approached the designated table. Mouth-watering, wide assortments of food were served there already, no doubt made from that special substance Eon mentioned which would mimic both the appearance and the taste of the eater's preferred dish. If one thing she wanted to complement about Ca-Elum was its aesthetics. From fashion to culinary wonders the people surely knew how to make everything look stellar for sure.

"Greetings to you, esteemed nobles." a male attendant pulled out the chairs for the trio as he bowed respectfully "My name is Montreoux and I shall be your chief attendant for tonight. I was the one who was graced with the good news to inform you that it will be Lord Latosius himself who will inform you about the games personally. The other competitors will be informed by Lady Blaemaux and Lady Meryl respectively."
Eon flinched as she heard the name of her sister and was silently relieved that they got the Lord rather than the justice seeking girl.
"I was informed that you may eat as much as you desire, the table shall be refilled whenever you desire for more." he glanced and respectfully nodded at Eias "Though caution is advised: the delicious nature of the food may cause the loss of control over appetite. Eating too much or too fast with such esteemed and fashionable set-up is ill advised - though I am positive that this warning is meaningless to emphasize to someone with your posture."
He bowed, waiting for the girls to sit down.
"I hope you find the accommodations to your liking. Should you need extra assistance from me just ring the bell on he table and I or my assistant shall be at your disposal."
He turned to specifically to Eias now.
"Is there anything I may assist you still, Matriarch? Something special that you may desire?"

Eias watched as the room started out as a Normal, run of the mill, look. Wood and stone filled the room but as she took a few more steps in, things lit up like a night sky. She could see the vast stars and galixies that swirled with the polar lights. Truly a sight to behold! She walked through the fake grass as she reached the destination of the table. There waiting for them was an assistant chief waiting there for them. She could understand how the food was pretty much the same thing. Simply a magic food that transformed. There was something missing though. She turned to the man with clear, powerful eyes.
"If you could, a pot of tea would be lovely. That is all." She said as she turned back to her family. "So, the lord huh? I wonder when he will get here. Also, Meryl seemed pretty distraught. Could only be her worrying about us for the up coming event. Either way, I guess we were earlier than the lord.

The chief attendant said nothing but smiled. Bowing his head he walked out of the room, followed by the other butlers and waitresses, leaving the trio in the silent room alone. It was a strangely welcoming feeling to sit in the elegant, properly lit room among refreshments and food, Aeris actually felt her brain slowly forgetting the plight she was thinking about. Moments later few servants marched in again, putting down pots of tea on the table: one ready to be served and the other two still illuminated by some magical flame that kept them warm until the drinking would happen.
"The flavor shall be whatever you desire, Matriarch Eias." one of the servants informed her "Lord Latosious urged me to tell you that you may dine if you so wish as he should arrive soon. He urged everyone to eat their fill until he does come."

With that the servant bowed and walked out of the room. Aeris glanced at Eias cautiously.
"Well... don't mind if we eat a little bit." she said, a seemingly happy smile sitting on her expression "I know that you are hungry Eias, so am I. But... let us behave as they expect us to do. I know for sure that my first instinct was to dig in immediately but... yeah, just slowly and steadily."
She looked at her friend's neck corset with worry.
"I... if you need anything, help or something... just tell me. But anyway... have a pleasant feast!"
She picked up something that resembled roasted chicken with some raspberries. As she put one bite elegantly in her mouth she was shocked how perfect it tasted. Literally, it was as good as the best chefs would dream of making it... and it filled her with delight.
"Oh my... they really hit the spot..."
Eon seemed not to be in the mood of eating, averting her eyes from both of the girls but out of courtesy she picked up something which looked like berries to her and began munching on them. The sweet little berries made her smile just briefly as she enjoyed the taste but then she resumed her stoic state. She could only hope that her 'mother' enjoyed the food like they did.

Eias looked to her companions as the they were left in the room. hearing the news that she could eat as they wait was exciting news. She had been resisting the urge to dig in immediately as the servants were here. despite them being possibly from the lower class, she didn't want to expose her true self at this moment. Even one word out could make things fall apart. She simply dipped a cloth bag full of herbs that would no doubt change the flavor of the tea to whatever she wanted. She let it sink as she eyed the food. It was similar to the items that tasted exactly to what you craved. Looking to Aeris and Eon, even the smallest nibbles could bring delight. As she went to take a bite, Aeris pipped up for a moment.
"It is... quite alright. I can handle it. Just small bites is all." She said with a shy smile before bringing the cutlery up to her mouth. Taking a bite, she tasted the earthy foods. Mushrooms, dark greens, bold flavors galore. She had missed the foods that she had found on her travels. The more she ate, the more she was reminded of the trails, hunts, and harvesting she had done. It was all packed into a simple food creation. Though she didn't outwardly show it, she was relieved that there was something else to remind her of her past time. It was nice to know she wasn't loosing herself. "This is absolutely marvelous!" She announce to her friends before taking a few more small bites.

"I am delighted to hear such praising words." the familiar calm sound echoed from the doors. Aeris did not need to look there to know joined them - and nor did his entrance fill her with the usual slight, inexplicable dread. Turning her head graciously towards the entrance she spotted Lord Latosius nodding to the servants as they closed the door behind him, letting the prestigious noble to enter with such grace as nobody else could. She inspected the man's mysterious eyes and found certain... tiredness looming within them. Just like that his skin was paler than usual and looked unusually worn out - what caused this she could not explain but she certainly felt like she was staring at someone much... older. Indeed, now on a closer inspection the rather youthful Latosius actually looked like a tired, old man who had lived long enough to tell the tales of battles long past. The burning eyes met hers and for a moment sympathy and understanding filled her right before the Lord torn her burning orbs from her and walked up to the table.

"Modesty at its finest. Elegance at its highest. Pride at its lowest." he recounted, observing the trio, a weary, mysterious expression still decorating his face. "I believe choosing you, My Lady, was indeed a fortunate choice. I have heard nothing but good news about all of you from nobles and the lower caste citizens alike. Truly you have managed to make a grand entry. Her majesty, The Duchess is pleased, very much so. Should you win this game she would be more than happy to grant you an audience... and grant you your wishes in moderation."
He bowed deeply and sat by the table, taking but a small portion of food for himself.
"Many nowadays mistake nobility with richness, using the two words in an interchanged manner - a fatal and foolish mistake." he mused, his voice being as calm and considerate as always. "Being born into a rich family and learning the rigid rules of society does not make someone a noble - that virtue lurks within the heart of people, something so inexplicably different that it is almost impossible to measure. It encompasses self-sacrifice, honesty, bravery, kindness, courtesy... everything that is not a learnt thing but is a personal attribute. That is why you three are here."
Aeris remained silent as she ate few more grapes, Eon munching on one as well, her burning eyes gazing at the Lord with both curiosity and pride. Knowing that her 'mother' and her mistress was regarded such high esteem by one of the highest ranking nobles was a rejuvenating feeling. Latosius took a bite from something her fancied and eyes at the little trio briefly.

"The highest, most valued trials of the ages are aptly called 'Chess Games', my friends. It is not a place where brute force can prevail but nor it is a place where one can manouver without taking careful measurements of battle moves. Indeed, one must possess both the finesse of an elegant warrior - if in different sense as well - as much as a thinker. Both of you as contenders have these traits but only together will you triumph. Logic and passion, might and mind must work together to overcome the trials."
He reached for the teapot and poured a little something for himself. Then, with an inquisitive look he turned to Eias. For a long moment he said nothing, only watching as the girl ate but then he spoke up.
"I respect your tenacity and the skill with which you guide your family, Matriarch. Truth be told when first we met I had my reservations about your perseverance... but seeing you here honoring our traditions makes me relieved." he took a sip from his tea "Do tell me if you don't mind: how does it feel to walk around among the nobility? How does it felt to walk among the common folk? And lastly... how do you feel... in general."
His eyes moved slightly.
"In your... breathtaking wear, of course."

As she took another sip, she nearly choked on the sudden voice of the Lord entering the room. She turned around briskly to meet his gaze in some semblance of acknowledgment. As she tried to get her breathing under control, she pipped down to hear his words of wisdom. Hearing the news that nobles and common folk alike seemed to favor them was a heart lifting feeling. Nothing felt better than a job well done. It got even better when the Majesty had caught wind of their names. If anything, even if they were not to wind the games, they may still gain an audience doing some helpful tasks for the city as a whole. The plan, however, was still to win this game. What she didn't expect was for the Lord to call to her attention so quickly after sitting. Thinking deeply to herself, she tried to find the honest opinion on his questions.
"Well, if you must know which I sure you already do, walking among them all seems to be rather similar. Every person has a different vibe to them but all in all, they come from the same city. They uphold ideals as best they can. There is obvious unrest between the two which could be fixed rather easily if given the time of day. As for me... Some days I feel fatigued from the wear. Some times I feel as though I forgot to breath but when I try, I cannot. I do have to admit though... it does make me look good. Everyone seems to think that though." She went back to sipping some tea. She wasn't sure what kind of answer the Lord was hoping for, but with any luck she got it in a good vibe.
"You seem a bit tired. Is everything alright?"

Latosius listened intently to what the Matriarch had to say, his eyes shifting back and forth between the trio. Aeris was worried about how Eias truly felt about being in such an outfit, guilt wracking her as she did play her part in wanting her friend to be in such a radiant dress. She munched at a little piece of meat-looking substance and watched as Eon shivered a little at mentioning the little problems sometimes her 'mother' had with the clothes. Eventually, as the girl finished speaking, Latosius nodded.
"Indeed. It would appear that you have gained insight which is beneficial for you more than you might imagine." he said, taking a bite from something that reminded him of a pie "Nobility exists in many, irrespective of birth, as I mentioned. Valor and glory is something that one must earn and not buy. Many try to get into the good graces of the Duchess and me. Many fail. Miserably."
His face turned serious, looking at the group.
"Before you would make any assumptions I have to emphasize that you do not enjoy special privileges because of your connections to Lady Meryl. True, she vouched for you at the start which was a good first impression but you are here merely because of your merits and tenacity. Few who have walked this path showed this much promise - and promise I treasure."

He leaned back in his chair, looking at Eias once she called him out as being tired.
"Lot of pressing matters demanded my attention - many of them were taxing. Such is the price of preparation when one organizes the Chess Game. Burden upon burden is what one must endure but for the perfection of the games I am doing my best - much like you three do it too. I may look drained, young lady, but I can assure you that my wits are as sharp as ever."
He turned his attention to Aeris and Eon.
"Designing the obstacles so that it fit many of the contenders is not easy - especially not if you are to face off contenders who have not played properly. Am I correct in the assumption that we will see some of the flame or ice smithing qualities of yours, Lord Aaron? And similarly the musician skills of Lady Eias?"
Aeris blinked as she had completely forgotten about the guise they were playing under and nodded.
"For my part I can assure you it will be so. But My Eias..." she glanced over to her "Elegance is one thing, My Lord. But performing music whilst fighting is not something I endorse doing. I understand the necessity of it but I find it rather unpractical at the same time."
She tried not to betray her worries towards Eias with her speech but the Lord seemed to be stalwart.
"Your talents will grant you strength within the game field, I can assure you. Unique talents will prove more powerful than mundane ones and your Lady possesses some great talent from what I heard. Advocating her playing in the games is not only wise but in my opinion recommended... of course nothing is a must. But be warned: the tasks will not be easy."

Hearing that all their hard work was from their own percerverince was an uplifting thought. Knowing that their work was of their own accord and not preconceived connections only meant that they were getting better. Even though she was getting the front of the praise, she knew she couldn't do it without her friends.

As it moved on to the games, she sat back In her chair. The games must be something crazy if that is how the lord looked. He may seem a little older but he was far from week. Once he brought up what they would be using in the games, she became confused to Aeris concerns. Was it from her muse magic? Did she not want it getting out in such a fashion.
"I do have another means of fighting. I craft bubbles of various effects. Perhaps that could work?"

Latosius frowned at the objection Aeris had made up and listened to the ones Eias had to offer. He did not say anything immediately but he nodded to himself as he took another sip from his tea.
"Bubbles might seem to be an interesting choice. But understand one thing: it needs to stem from your heart, your innate abilities in order to be able to use it. There were occasions where nobles wished to smuggle in items attached to their attire to enhance their performance. Aside from their instant disqualification when this was revealed during the game the trials they faced left a... grim reminder on them to make sure they will never try something like that again."

Latosius paused for a moment, letting out a sigh to catch his breath before he continued.
"I think it would be time to tell you how the game shall work." he said with a calm tone "Collecting three small pieces of an artifact, a medallion symbolizing the Duchess will be your aim to recover from a labyrinth like area which will be segmented up for the challenge. Three different sections you must scour through and three different trials you must face. Trials like these are constantly changing and thus the first part of it is to figure out which ones exactly you are going to face."
He waved with his hands and three little papers appeared with the name of the challenge on them. Aeris was shocked to say the least.
"Wait... are we to walk into the challenges without knowing anything about them? To just... face them blindly?"
"I never said anything like that." Latosius calmly shook his head "You see... there is a reason why you had to know the people better here in Ca-Elum. The spirit of unity and helping each other is what keeps the nation great, even if it is exercised to a lesser extent now due to misguided intents. Still, the Chess Event encapsulates everything our traditions stand for: three names you shall see on papers, eight different challenges exist out there. Four is known by esteemed members of nobility, four are known from renowned people from the common folk. If you wish to know the trials you will face... you will have to seek people out to help you from both caste."

He raised his finger.
"But be warned. Tough though these challenges may be they will only get more difficult as you proceed: they will test you to the utmost and they will definitely have an effect on you. An effect that shall linger throughout the game. No matter in which order do you wish to gather the pieces of the medallion but whichever challenge you complete first will have its residue follow you to the second challenge - and all three combined shall test you at the last. Only through overcoming these obstacles together may you have the hope to succeed."
Aeris felt uneasy but also fired up - this sounded much harder than it probably was going to be but she felt interested regardless.
"What of the other competitors? Will they battle us during these challenges?"
"Not directly, no." Latosius said "They will race through time with you together that's true - but your paths may never cross... until their guardian figures utilize their special powers against the others."
He stared at Aeris now.
"You are a Knight, am I correct, Lord Aaron?"
"Y-yes, I think so. That is what I decided to choose."
"You will have certain areas in the labyrinth where you may invoke a special hindering magic against the other teams, should you wish to do it. It will drain you a bit but will overwhelm the others in a way to impede their movements. Likewise, the others may cast their own spells upon you to block your way... so you must be on your toes and protect your Queen... Matriarch Eias."
He now looked at the Muse, nodding.
"Were the instructions clear to you, Lady Eias? Do you feel... up to the challenge still?" offering the three pieces of paper with the names of the trials on them.

Eias frowned. If anything, bubbles were her closest magic. Sure, muse magic came as her emotions did, but she learned bubble magic on her own. It was her specialty. Still, she understood. Perhaps muse magic would come at the right time. She knew she wouldn't cheat. At least, intentionally. Still she watched the little debacle between Aeris and the lord. She could see that both were still fairly concerned about everything. Concerned for the well being of her for what ever reasons were their own.

Once they talked about the knight role, the conversation came back to her.
"I never intended for it not to happen. There is a way to get to the duchess, and I intend to get there. These may be a trial, but a trial we need to pass." She said as she took the papers. As she turned them overs she looked to the group.
"I won't back down. Even when put at a wall."

"Eias..." Aeris spoke up silently as she saw her friend's resolve. Clearly it was something very moving and something that touched her heart and spirit deep down. She never doubted that her friend would actually stand up to the table and show everyone how brave she was... but nevertheless she was astounded. She still remembered that first day in the forest... the curious, persistent little mage that observed her battle with a minotaur, a battle which would change her life forever. She remembered the girl who yearned to earn emotions from her and kept on following her, trying to be a friend. She remembered the girl who wished to kiss her so much and blushed every time the topic came up. She remembered all this.
But what she saw now was not that youthful, adorable girl she had found agitating at first. She looked at a refined woman, someone with diligence, dignity and beauty unrivaled by anything she hand known to exist. Eias had done the impossible and found a way to her heart - and many more wonders did the Muse of Life perform, some of which baffled the crimson eyed girl still.
Unbeknownst to her her heart was now beating for Eias alone... and waited for the moment when her brain would catch up with this feeling and finally destroy that last barrier which held her back.

"You do not disappoint, Matriarch." Lord Latosius' voice was which brought Aeris back from her dream world "You will have two days to gather information about the trials should you wish, then I shall sent my attendant for you to meet us in the great hall... from then onward everything will transpire in the greatest of secrecy for everyone's sake. Should someone emerge as a victor before you it will be announced and your trials shall end immediately. You have my word that in your absence your daughter and all you wish to shelter will have my protection."
"I can defend myself just fine, Lord." for the first time Eon actually spoke up quietly. The Lord, eyeing her, nodded.
"I have no doubts about that. Still... after the Gala last time which your Lady so forcefully rectified I feel the need to raise the level of security."
Aeris fell silent as she remembered Eias' newfound friend Selene and her sacrifice for Meryl and her Muse friend. Though she personally had no opportunity to meet the girl she was still somewhat worried. And as if the Lord has read her mind he spoke up.
"I have no good news regarding Lady Selene." he said with a solemn voice "Bellidan is a formidable opponent who knows how to mix toxins with the darkest magics of the world. The paralytic, deadly venom is only halted by my will and not cured. Even in this very moment it creeps in her body, consuming her strength even if very slowly."

Silence descended upon the room as only some clattering of cutlery was heard as the girls ate very slowly. Eon could not tear her mind from Meryl and her incredibly angry expression, one that she had seen only once before. The peaceful spirit was really difficult to anger... and she remembered that one time when she was this furious... she remembered the day when Eon's unbridled wrath wanted to sear the baby that was Aeris... she remembered the terrible fury of Meryl for her transgressions. Since then the little fire spirit vowed never to anger her sister this much... but now she had done just that. Her own little flame faltered for a moment just thinking about what her sister would do with her... but she raised her head when Latosius broke the silence again.
"Now that I have briefed you about the trials you may continue your feast uninhibited." he said calmly "I shall stay and finish my meal too - this time frame should serve you well if you have any further questions you wish to be answered. Honoring your sincerity and commending your bravery and tenacity I shall try and answer to the fullest of my knowledge if truth permits it."

As Eias lowered herself back to the tableX she nodded at the lord. She knew full well this trial was a hard one and knowing that those she left behind would be safe was helpful. She couldn't let that sink in too much though. There was still Selene that needed her help. She was her only chance to get better less her master felt the need as well.

Hearing that the trials would take place in 2 days felt rushed but in fairness she had known of it for a while now. The only question was what they would face. She understood that the lord wouldn't be able to tell much since it was a sensitive subject but she needed to know.
"I understand there are a few challenges in the way. Where might we start looking for answers should you be unable to give us any more information?"

Latosius looked at Eias with the curious question as he continued his meal. For a little while he kept the eye contact, staring right into the heart of the girl as it seemed at first. But then, returning his gaze to his food he nodded to himself.
"It is merely due to politeness and fair game that I can not provide you further assistance." he said calmly "You may be a favored team consisting of powerful individuals but I can not interfere in one of the most sacred series of trials we have without having guilty conscience. That being said..."
He frowned.
"Many high ranking nobles and commoners know about the trials that you face... including lady Meryl and... some privileged people who answer to the Duchess herself. Seeking them out might be the best course of action if you wish to proceed. Make no mistake: the chess even will not be a walk in the park. I recommend you to spend most of your time preparing mentally and not physically - cramming your strength will avail you not. Try to relax and gather your senses. You will need all of them heightened."

With that he finished his dish and stood up, gracefully bowing to the three of them.
"With this consider our meeting adjourned. I have to excuse myself from your presences, Ladies, other pressing matters require my attention. We shall meet soon... and hopefully in the finish line. You may depart whenever you are finished - the attendants will clean up everything."
Without waiting for a reply he left the room, leaving the three of them alone. It took Aeris a good minute to speak up.
"Well... I guess we will have some investigation to do." she sighed, turning to Eon and Eias. "What do you think we should prioritize first? Who do you think we should meet?"

With a small grin, Eias accepted the Lord's words. She knew deep down that he couldn't really answer much but this was plenty to go off of. In the end, she felt he was rooting for them. That or he had other interests in mind that involved him. She was still curious to his abilities that called from the shadows. Each person she had encountered with similar abilities usually turned out to be an enemy rather than a friend. For him though, all he was doing was helping. It was both welcoming and concerning.

Now knowing where to start Eias felt much more confident in her abilities for the event in two days. They had a lot of work to do but they had connections now thanks to everyone's hard work. As the lord excused himself, Eias too bowed before going back to her own meal. It didn't take long for Aeris to speak up. She was always the one to get down to business.
"Well priority should be getting as much information as possible and knowing what questions to ask. One especially would be solidifying what our roles are again so we know what to ask for. Then... I guess we go try and find Meryl. She would be the most reliable at the moment. That may need to wait till tomorrow though. It is getting rather late. A good rest to clear the tension before asking questions. After that, perhaps we can converse with our new friend in the forest."

Aeris slowly and steadily finished her meal, her stomach really full with the delicious food and felt a satisfactory feeling wash over her. Were it not for her tight wear she would have actually touched her belly in satisfaction and lean back but knowing that it would be rather unwise in her current attire she just smiled for a moment, stretching her arms.
"I am positively stuffed." she said with a rather happy giggle "These Ca-Elumians know how to make someone a glutton... and they demand you this clothing to prevent you to eat too much! I think I am starting to see their brilliance in this part at least..."
She looked around in the room, serenity filling her very soul as she did so. She enjoyed the stay more than she had previously thought she was, both in this room and in Ca-Elum as a whole. She felt this place was just... too magical to ignore, too masterful to be denied. The perfection of creations infused with latent magic was a fascinating thought: she wielded the elements in a sheltering or destructive way, never creating something so permanent. This sentiment here was something else...

She got up, walking towards Eias, watching how the girl was eating her fill. She smiled, pulling her chair next to the Muse, sitting down. Eon looked up with a weary expression for a moment but only decided to listen.
"Probably a wise decision. If anyone then it is Meryl who seems to know a lot about the traditions here... how is that possible is beyond me but she had kept many secrets from us before. She is a sage by calling so I guess that is just her nature... maybe asking her first is a-"
"No!" Eon blurted out, too late to prevent herself from talking this loudly. Aeris looked up with a curious look, not sure what the spirit was on about. Eon trembled for a moment then regained her composure "M-meryl is probably very busy with preparations... asking her about this would probably be folly. Surely... we can wait with her."
"That is so strange..." Aeris furrowed her brows "You were always the one so eager to go and see Meryl, Eon. Why not now? Is there something amiss?"
The fire spirit glanced at Eias with the slightest fear shown in her eyes and gulped.
"Nothing in particular... I am just... advocating the ask of external sources. Lady Nil for example is a great candidate to ask out! Surely she is free from all the burdens of serving the Duchess now that she has to prepare for the event..."

Aeris still found it weird that the spirit did not wish to see her twin. This had never happened before... not that she knew of anyway. Scratching her own head she turned to her friend, inspecting the seemingly bit tired features of her face.
"Regardless of our choice Eias is correct. It is getting late and especially after such a tiresome day I would prefer to retire first too." she nodded "We shall depart whenever Eias finishes the dinner and do whatever she sees fit. She is, after all..."
She leaned closer, giving a warm, passionate kiss on the girl's cheek.
"Our beautiful Matriarch who possesses the wisdom we need right now, yes?"

As Eias was finishing her food she felt Aeris get closer to her to the point she was sitting down next to her. With a small smile, she quickly finished the food while she went on to talk about the attire of the city and how it works in different methods.
Once she sipped the last of her tea she felt her insides warm up with energy and hot food. Nothing like a good meal to end the day. The last thing they needed to take care of was a game plan. As Aeris agreed to her thoughts, Eon interrupted with her own concerns.

Eias watched the spirit carefully seeing if there was any immediate trouble. As they made quick eye contact, the spirit was obviously scared and worried. A look she was fairly familiar with. A fight with a sibling. With a quick sigh to herself, she placed the empty cup down. She would speak with Eon later when they would be heading to bed.
"I suppose you're right Eon. Meryl would be pretty busy as of late. Perhaps Nil should be our first person to go to." Once she received the kiss, she slowly pushed her head into Aeris shoulders.
"I think we should head back now. We know what our first plan is. Asking Nil a few questions!" She said ready as ever.

Aeris blinked once or twice as Eias seemed to agree with Eon. She was not entirely sure what was going on but if her friend had a plan or two she knew she could trust her counsel on that. She welcomed the - still a bit - scruffy haired girl in her embrace, hugging her gently as the Muse spoke up. She noticed relief washing over the expression of Eon and now even she felt a bit more confident.
"As you say then." she said, helping her friend to stand up, walking over to Eon. Without hesitation and with eagerness the little spirit grabbed the hand of Aeris, not looking at her or at Eias directly. Taken slightly aback from such quick a decision Aeris nodded towards the attendants, thanking the food... and then leaving the room with grace.

The night was calm as the Moon began to shine ever brighter on the horizon. The room of the girls was not engulfed in a perpetual illusion this time, allowing everything to let the brilliance of the stars and the Moon come through the windows. Aeris was standing close to their bed in a relaxed position, staring at the night sky with a mesmerized glance. Whenever she was troubled or a difficult task loomed ahead she stared at the infinite cosmos, a strange, unknown longing feeling lingering in her heart as she did so. She had no idea why her heart ached just ever so slightly whenever she looked up at the endless stars but it was something that happened to her quite often. Strangely, having no answer or idea where this feeling came from the girl just suppressed it entirely and concentrated on looking at the beauty of it all.

Eon was the one who walked up to her, joining her observation of the stars with a solemn expression.
"You once told me that every star is a spirit shining from their realm to guide us down here." Aeris whispered silently to the little one "I still believe that to be true even now that I know what the stars actually are."
Eon did not reply. She could not reply. Not with the burdens locked on her heart.
"Aeris... I..." she began but once again the words felt like suffocating her. She could not tell her about the binding, the woes she had. She half expected Aeris to speak up but what she saw was a curious, docile look coming from her mistress. Those ruby red eyes now burned with joy and beamed love at the little spirit as - she had to realize - they always did. She knew very well that she may not understand it fully but her bond with Eon and Meryl was genuine.
"I... just wanted to thank you. For not hating me. For... not casting me aside despite what I did to you. For not loathing me."
Aeris chuckled, crouching down at the level of the spirit.
"I could never do that, Eon." she smiled "Even back then when I knew little of emotions I felt a bond between us being stronger than anything in the world. I would never hate you. I would never leave you behind."
The fire spirit's eyes once more began filling with tears. From the outside it probably seemed like that they were tears of joy but in truth they stemmed from the guilt and pain now wrecking the heart of Eon. Even after everything, every malicious, vile and ruthless things she had done to her master Aeris still cared deeply for her. And she knew not about the binding at all... she knew nothing of the-
"Hey, cheer up!" Aeris smiled, patting the head of the spirit "Look who is coming! Your mother!"
She pointed in the direction of the inner parts of the room as they both saw a figure there. Aeris, standing upright again, felt the allure of beauty taking her senses again. The figure was truly a dream like mirage emerging from the depths of her sweetest dreams. A figure so divine, so elegant and so beautiful that she felt her heart skipping with every step the figure did. It felt as if her friend did not even walk on the earth, the very winds of godhood were carrying her steps.
"Eias..." the girl murmured "Every day and every night you manage to make my stomach flutter. How do you do it, I wonder?" Aeris chuckled.

As Eias was escorted away, she thanked the servers quickly on the way out. Not much else was to be said during the walk back. Eon was fairly quiet which was normal, but there was an aura around her. Something that felt off during the whole thing. Still, a peaceful walk none the less. The one good thing about being in such an area was there was the lowest possibility for attackers. It would be foolish. For once, Eais started letting her guard down. Once they made it back things seemed to be normal for a room. No illusions or trickery. Just natural lighting coming from the clear skies. It was at this moment Eias took herself from the room to tend to chore like things such as cleaning the flute and just resting after a day of new encounters.

Once she completely polished the flute, she tucked it away and came to join the other two. As she entered he was met with the sudden question of Aeris.
"Well, that is a good question. It could be any number of things. The dress seems to be the most likely though." As she finished her response, she looked to Eon who was obviously overwhelmed by something. For a moment Eias thought she had told Aeris the news. That faded once she realized how Aeris as acting. There was no way Aeris would be so calm and engrossed with her after news like that.
"Are you feeling aright, Eon? You seem to have puffed eyes and a red face. Do you need some rest?"

The words of Eias, though playful, made Aeris think for just a moment. She was certain that there was more to their relationship than just one fancy piece of cloth but she dared not to say anything until she knew exactly what it was. She just giggled and smiled at her friend as she approached her. As her motherly instincts kicked in and asked Eon about her feelings the girl turned towards the spirit, wanting to see her reaction. The little spellcaster seemed to become even more flustered at the question, her face puffing up even more and glancing wearily towards Aeris. It was in this moment that the crimson eyed girl knew what she had to do.
"I think I need some fresh air before bed time." she said, walking up to the artificial balcony they had the opportunity to activate. Pressing the proper button she heard a clanking noise as a little plateau opened up for her to stand on should she desired to. Eon, looking in her direction frantically began to speak.
"W-wait! You need not to go! I am fine! Really I was just..."
"No need for being shy, Eon. Everyone needs a motherly touch every once in a while. I know you have that with Eias."
"B-but... you are the one I was supposed to..."
Aeris winked.
"You can give me your hugs later!" then she looked at Eias, nodding "Should you feel the same to get some fresh air i will be here outside, waiting."
And thus she left the room, leaving the two girls alone.

Eon did not know what to say the moment her mistress left. She stared at the window/door emptily for a while as her heart pounded. Once again they were here together will Eias, not knowing what to do. She felt stressed out and rather scared about this get-together after what she had said previously. She stared at the ground, trying to avoid all contact with the girl for a moment.
"I... had a fight with Meryl." she said finally, realizing that the truth should not be hidden completely. This part, anyway "She... was furious with me for talking to you about... our binding... and with good reason."
The tiny frame shuddered.
"I... I have only seen her this angry once. Annu'Rath is a scholar for a reason, she is a calm, kind, helpful and rational. She is very hard to anger or to invoke her full ire. Even in battles she restrains herself to concentrate better on the task ahead. But this time.... I recognized the cold, pure hatred in her eyes and I felt like vanishing from the world. I... I only wanted a happy ending..."
She looked up at Eias, her eyes slightly red, giving away the truth that although she had probably dried all of them up already she HAD shed tears.
"I tried to exclude everything from my life to stay focused as she is but... I couldn't. I tried to hate you, hate Aeris and the world... but I couldn't. And now... now I am just afraid. Afraid of what awaits us next. Afraid of what might happen to you two... to me..."
She bowed her head.
"Some spirit of fire I am, huh...?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back