• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Fairy Tail: Legacy of the Twilight Prophet

Eias nodded as Aeris spoke of going to the garden together. It sounded pleasant as the night was starting to grow. What she didn't expect was Eon interjecting with her concerns. In all the confusion, she had completely forgotten about how much Aeris must have been hurting. With a concerned look, she gazed towards the crimson eyed girl. Placing her hands upon her hips, she pouted. Her cheeks puffed out for a small moment before she gave up on it. Sighing, she lazed her posture a little.
"I do thank you for the little refresher... but do look out for yourself. Okay? I appreciate you looking out for me, but that only means I will have to look out for you even more." She slipped into Aeris' grasp now.
"We should head out soon. Before dinner is ready."

Aeris didn't actually notice how fast did time fly by. Only now that Eias had actually mentioned the time did she look outside of the window and saw that it was already past noon. Someway, somehow, the clothes made her forget anything that was thirst and hunger, these feelings now being but numb, gnawing thoughts in the back of her head... no doubt due to some suppression magic built into her attire. After all they had been through she would not have been surprised about something like this at all.
She looked at Eias who seemed to be... more awake now and that made her to sigh in relief. At least that is what she wanted to believe: she sighed because the corset pressed her stomach now a bit tighter than before, the anxiety and worry swelling up inside of her made the mystical clothing to react. She was certain that those who had the "luxury" to wear it for longer than she did had a more firm control over it... but alas, that is how they had to get along now.

Eon took one last, desperately pleading look at Eias as the Muse did not actually encourage Aeris to rest that much. She understood how hard both of them were pushing themselves... For the first time possibly in her life she was scared and worried for Aeris' well being yet she could not bring herself to say anything. Instead, she walked over to her and gently hugged her leg.
"I... will lend you my aid Aeris." she murmured "I may not be at my peak... but I have less burden on me than you have."
"Eon... you really don't..."
She hugged the leg tighter.
"I will not take no for an answer. You will give in to my gift."
Aeris could not say anything for a moment so she just smiled.
"All right... but only as a safe reserve..."
She sighed as she felt Eon parting from her leg. Extending her hand for both the tiny spirit and Eias she nodded.
"Let us be off then. Slowly."

Aeris had to admit that the idea of departure relatively early from Eias was smarter than she had calculated. Indeed, just as Eon pointed it out, she felt dancing at the razor's edge, trying to hold herself up right with elegance, accompanying Eias whilst holding the girl's waist with her right hand to subtly squeeze in more air for her friend and walking with Eon who silently followed them and smiled at anyone who looked at the trio. Indeed, an outsider saw nothing but a proud, happy family taking a walk - in reality Aeris felt like fainting at any moment.
The pace they were walking with was meticulously slow for a purpose - ever so often Aeris felt the need to actually pause and take a breather before they continued. During these times they were actually inspecting exquisite paintings or well designed ornaments on the walls of the palace, not giving away anything about the dire straits they were in. One thing that put her at ease was that Eias' corset seemed to emanate that soothing, pain reducing magic which it was supposed to... but she wondered why hers hasn't done the same. She knew she had used up more power than the Muse did but she really hoped the corset was just malfunctioning or something... else she would have some issues later on.

The slow walk was actually somewhat relaxing, reaching the entrance to the gardens was a nice little trip, one that allowed the girls to contemplate for the evening to come.
"Lord Latosius made clear that the dinner will be as exquisite as we desire." Aeris explained "I inquired about the nature of the food we would be having and he began talking about something... a name that eludes me which will be served..."
"Antrophomorphic Gelliaton." Eon spoke up "Meryl told me about this strange substance which "Material Shapers" can produce as the product of their magic. In essence this is a type of food which attaches to the taste receptors of the taster the first time they put it in their moths. Then, reading the desires of the noble this strange stuff will transform into the food it senses you desire the most and you will consume it from then on. A handy little stuff."
"Huh, that is clever." Aeris nodded as they reached the door "I guess we will not have a bad time there after all..."

They paused again before the garden's entrance. Aeris let out long, drawn-out sighs as she caught her breath momentarily.
"This corset... does not want to... activate.... I wonder... why..." she managed to gasp out as she drew in some much needed air. After regaining the composure she lacked she turned to her friend.
"This is it, Eias. Lots of nobles will tread in the gardens so we have to be as graceful and charming as it is possible. Say the word... and we shall be off..."
She felt a sharp pain as her corset tightened a little because of the swelling anxiety. She just smiled and tried to ignore it, extending a gloved hand to Eias.

Eias held the hand as they walked out into the hallways of the building. She noticed it took longer than normal for them to reach the outside. Sure, it was a big building but it was the constant stopping that made her worried. She noticed that Aeris had trouble with breathing, or catching her breath. Yes, the corset was tight, but something about ti was worse. Like it wasn't working properly. Still, she chose not to say anything. Perhaps it was just her getting used to it again. After all, taking it off did make things feel more weird when putting it back on. Slowly, they made their way out into the entrance of the garden. She looked up at the vines that overlooked the gated area. An aesthetic that was pleasing to the eye in this scenery. looking to the two of them, she still grew more concerned with Aeris. She really should say something if there was a problem.
"Yes, we can do grace and charm. We made it this far already so we can do it again... let's head inside."

Aeris waited for a moment until Eias approved the way of proceeding. With that she took a deep breath - as deep as she could, anyway - and opened the doors. Immediately after the golden rays of the sun illuminated the palace's dimly lit halls, the fresh air and the tweeting of birds coming in with such posthaste that it staggered the crimson eyed girl as well. Eon, not fully knowing what was here also let out a silent whistle, as she walked over to Eias, clutching her hand.

That the garden was a spectacle to behold was an understatement. It looked like an ancient building of some sort, a frame of a pantheon hugging the enormous parlor around with its stony majesty. Its open dome allowed the sun's grace to shine in, the fresh, chilly wind to full the lungs of the onlookers. Various magical enhancements made the sight even more beautiful, creating fluttering light-made butterflies, little rainbows and other little wonders. Aeris managed to walk up to Eias and smiled.
"Welcome to the Garden of Desires, Eias." she nodded "Please... let us walk."

Ushering the trio into the beautiful place Aeris walked slowly, with dignity. Countless stone made benches were to be found scattered around the park, plethora of nobles chatting there with glee, joyful expression written all across their face. Harmony and wondrous, soothing music surrounded the serenity filled place as even tiny creatures were to be seen roaming around.
"This is the place of... relaxation, so Lord Latosius informed me." Aeris continued, her voice bit more silent than usual "Though formal attire is required to wear the aristocrats are otherwise free of burdens and mental tricks: here they can finally let that rigid mask of theirs down and enjoy the scenery."
As they proceeded through the garden Eon looked at something very imposing at which few chatty nobles stood. It was some sort of a well... but had a unique shape of it.
"What is that?"
"That is the Fountain of Eternity." Aeris nodded "It is the main spectacle in the garden for sure... lot of people flock there to watch it for there is a story that is told ever so often in the fountain which everyone loves to check out. However, there are other things to see here too."
She motioned to the right where the foliage seemed to be a bit thicker.
"To our right is the Woods of Serenity. It is the place where one goes to relax when they are troubled the most, the thick, forest like atmosphere usually helps one to cool down and clear their head."

She turned to Eias, her face still a bit pale.
"As the Matriarch of this little family it is up to you to choose from an attraction, my dear. Where should we head first, the Forest or the Fountain?"

As Eias was ushered into the garden, she began to lighten up in her thoughts. The area itself was no doubt magically tuned to give off a relaxation effect. She watched the dancing lights of rainbows and butterflies as they fluttered on by as well as take in the feeling of nature itself. It had been a while since she had been in a lush nature area like this. Even if it was worked to accommodate those who wish to travel in it, it was still breathtaking to walk around. The last thing she noticed as the stone benches that littered the garden. If it hadn't been for her being consumed in the sights, she would have sat down instantly due to exhaustion.

As they continued down, the finally came to a mystical fountain. One where a plentiful amount of people gathered by. Hearing it was a story telling fountain made her very intrigued. The second sight, the Woods of Serenity, was also tempting, but she really did wonder what stories would be told by this piece.
"Let's stay here and watch the story. Then we can head into the woods."

Aeris nodded.
"So shall we go." she said, walking with her friend and Eon towards the commotion. The little spirit clung close to the girls as she observed the nobles everywhere in the garden. Their expressions were relaxed - or were, is the more precise term. They now observed them, the newcomers, often glancing at Aeris with a questioning glance and at Eias with a semi envious one. Eon knew exactly the reason for this: though Eias had believed that it was her corset that played the major part in this situation it actually was her inner beauty and her awakening Muse powers which actually captivated the others. Their envious glances soon turned into a graceful ones as they peered after the girl with eyes that sought only her charms.

The little trio arrived to the murmuring band of nobles just next to the fountain. Even without the storytelling aspect of the item it was a spectacle to behold: it spewed magically glittering, enhanced water as usual fountains did - but ever so often flames erupted from the other gargoyles which served as ornaments for the spring. The mystical fire often danced and caressed the water, their union being shown as a holy marriage as they touched and parted continuously. Aeris could not help but recognize her own struggles which made her chuckle briefly - that is, until the fountain sprang to life as they approached.
"We are in luck." she said "It is exactly story time now."

And so as she spoke an angelic voice began to boom around the structure, making the nobles to bow their heads in silence.
"This is the recollection of the stories the late queen used to tell before the fall of Ca-Elum." Aeris explained as she bowed her head in respect too. A minute or so passed before everyone looked up... and the tale began.

"Hear now the story how Light and Darkness struggled... and ceased to struggle for one day." the voice of the queen spoke, making the nobles freeze in awe. Moments later the water began to take form, an illusion of a brilliant, radiant woman, clad in fairy-like clothes.
"In ages past, long before mortal comprehension the Spirit World was the cradle of all life. In those times powerful creatures called as Demigods inhabited the world, their every step creating new life or extinguishing one if they so desired. These beings of immense powers breathed life and emitted serenity, bearing love for everything that lived or existed."
The figure of the woman began to nurture treed, woods and plants... while immediately the fire arrived, becoming a powerful, monstrous form which was as terrifying as handsome in its own way.
"Spirits though they were the Demigods did not see eye to eye: one particular spirit being, called Paro'Khan demanded the life giving spirits to cease their constant activities, especially on an important world to him now known as Earthland. The life giving spirits - of course - refused."
Aeris watched in horror and Eon cowered as she recognized the person the queen named. The same spirit who gave the girls their gifts on top of the mountain. The same spirit who closed the gap Fenris wished to rip Earthland apart with. The same spirit they know now... as the baleful god of destruction.

The image of the serene field shifted as water and fire began to clash.
"Years of strife and destruction what followed. Paro'Khan and his followers, their affinity to destruction being great, began to unravel the work of the life giving spirits... and so did the life nourishing ones sought to push their enemies back. The stalemate was seemingly everlasting, the pain unbearable. Until that one fateful day..."
The battle shifted away, showing two solitary figures - to Aeris' horror they resembled them just a tiny bit... maybe because of the illusions of the garden as when she blinked the figures showed distinctly different features.
"Two decided to break the cycle of hatred. One life and one death spirit decided to break the unending destruction. And so they hatched a plan. Uniting their powers through compassion and acceptance they opened a gateway which began sucking out the battling demigods one by one, banishing them from the sacred realm of spirits... and diminishing their powers greatly. The dark spirits, the harbingers of destruction were transformed into a demonic visage as they fell to a land, losing their immortal powers but retaining their inherent affinity to magic. Their leader, Paro'Khan somehow managed to avoid being banished and vanished by himself, leaving his followers alone in the darkness. These demonic creatures later became to be known as the Aldrachi."

Silence befell the nobles as they murmured, inspecting the demonic creatures shown by the fiery images. Aeris, in particular, was rather shocked and curious about the fate of the dark race... but then the image shifted to the other part, the exiled life giving creatures who eventually became alike humans.
"And so it was that the benevolent spirits fell from the heavens, losing their immortality but retaining their heavenly abilities to heal, rejuvenate and to give life on purpose. The strongest and most powerful of these creatures, the ones who still have the spells of the eden slumbering within them are called the Muses... the protectors and safeguards of life. Their numbers are few... but they still exist to bring harmony and love to all that lives and breathes."

The story then showed the watery images of Muses creating life and bringing joy to everything. The nobles murmured happily, occasionally glancing at Eias who had emanated a similar power as it was displayed by the fountain. They did not understand how that was possible and they only murmured in silence as they were in awe. Eon on the other hand felt even more anxious than before. The power of the fountain seemed to surge around them just briefly before it dissipated, returning to the normal, dormant state of spectacles. Suddenly, Aeris felt a bit drained from something... an aura of strange feeling surrounded her...
"This... was an interesting tale for sure." she said, smiling at Eias "Well, Muses sure... are awesome, right?"

As they walked up, Eias felt the eyes fall upon them. She subtly watched as their gazes transferred from Aeris to her with different faces to show what they were thinking. Even the most noble weren't very good at hiding their inner thoughts. She didn't know how to feel about the envious eyes watching her. She simply tied the magical clothing tighter than normal! Anyone could do it if they had the guts and pain tolerance. She kept her eyes averted from the crowed as she stepped closer with her family. Near instantly, the fountain sprung to life. The amazement of the booming voice, magic water, and the fire were so enticing.

Listening to the story, she felt it was one she had already heard. From the book. The fountain simply have a little more background on how things came to be and for what reason. Her only other question was why the water images looked a little like her and Aeris. Did it just choose two randomly out of the crowd for a personal touch to a couple? Not sure how to process it all, she looked to Aeris after her off hand comment.
"y-yeah..." She said unsure of it all. "Well, the ones who uphold those traits. I hear there are some that have given up on all of that." She said shrugging. "Those other ones were pretty interesting too. I wonder what finally made two decided enough was enough and broke the cycle." She said wondering aloud. Under the circumstances, it must have been hard to break the ice.

That she spoke so freely about Muses made the nobles murmur among themselves. For them Muses were sacred creatures, blessed demigods who brought valor and harmony to the world - to just presume that some of them had fallen to disgrace was a rather offensive notion to them. Still, none rose to challenge the thought of Eias, not immediately. That was until the crowd seemed to part to let way to a beautiful, elegant and crafty looking noblewoman, wear
"You may wish to rethink your intent about asking such... delicate questions, my Lady." she said with a calm, composed voice, walking up to the trio. The other nobles seemed to dissipate as if they knew who this lady was. She bore no malicious expression nor did she carry anything but dignity and strength - something that was rather imposing. In Aeirs' eyes her clothes were as intricate and perhaps even more restrictive than their wear but the lady managed to move and talk unhindered. In this moment she envied her quite much... for some reason the weak rays of the sun felt as withering to her as the dark flames of hell... but she knew not why.

"Ca-Elumian heritage dictates to revere the Muses, my Lady." she continued. "Many actually treat them as gods, all-mighty creatures who brought equilibrium to this world and made it whole. Even more consider them saviors."
Eon raised her eyebrows.
"And what do YOU think then, Lady...?"
The woman smiled.
"Nil. My name is Nil." she spoke with a sweet, chiming tone, turning to Eias and Eon, almost purposefully ignoring Aeris "I choose to believe in being level-headed and realistic on my part. Muses are mere descendants of those spirits and while they ARE powerful I would personally never worship one as many others do... that does not say I would not be pleased if I could... see one for myself, that is."
She walked around them, inspecting them with a rather... calm manner.
"Your clothes are exquisite and so is your fortitude." she said, nodding approvingly "You surprise me, especially you, Matriarch." she directly spoke to Eias now. "The rumors were true then, your fragile body indeed belies your underlying fortitude it seems... Quite fascinating! You seem strong and cunning... the perfect woman."
She smiled, motioning the trio towards the forest.
"I was headed to the woods to meet someone there - if you so wish i would be honored to have such... intriguing company on this small journey. That is, if it is not bothersome to you, Lady, Lord."

Aeris did not say anything - in fact, she could not say anything for the dizzying feeling made her feel... numb. She merely nodded and with as much clarity in her eyes she could master she looked at Eias in a questioning fashion.

karenreg_by_anotherwanderer-d9rum11.jpg

Eias felt the mood shift in the air. She surly said something that many of the nobles would find wrong. Could it have been talking of the demon like people that were called Aldrachi? Muses were simply old news to her. To be honest, she had forgotten just how important they were to much of history. Before she could get a word out in apology, she heard the clear voice of a woman. As the crowed departed, it gave way to a young looking female who wore her clothing even tighter than Aeris and her. How she survived was beyond Eias' comprehension. As she was hit with word after word of how muses were like gods to the people and how speaking ill of them was out of place, a little fire boiled in her belly. Stress, anxiety, or some other emotion was slowly working its way up. Oh, how Eias wanted to come out right then and there saying she was in fact a muse. It would put such a person in their place and it would easily be proven with just her flute playing alone.... But she bit her tongue. It wasn't right. Sure, Nil was talking down on such a person that is apparently revered, but she wasn't in the wrong. She was defending the belief of the people and Eias had tarnished it in that moment. Instead of putting someone down just for ignorance would have shown just how human a muse could be. Imperfect at times and with emotions that could influence others when left unchecked.

As things simmered down, they were invited to take a walk in the forest, the next thing they were about to do.
"W-well. First of all... I would like to apologize. I just spouted off something I had read just a few hours before. It...really stuck to me seeing as how it goes against most of what that story told." She said in a half lie. Looking to Aeris now, she noticed the strange look on her face. it was clear she was hiding more than what she was giving off.
"We.. would be happy to accompany you." She said walking closer to Aeris, grabbing her hand. "Hey, Aaron..." She said, papping her cheek lightly to get her fazed back to reality. "Let us follow, Nil, here into the woods."

Nil smiled at the nobles as she watched Eias walking over to her "lord". She waited patiently, folding her arms together gently as she observed the events unfolding. Aeris shook her head just a little, barely registering the words her friend had told her. With a bit of a blurry vision she managed to smile and nod.
"Y-yes, my dear. Right away." she turned her attention to Nil "Please, lead the way, Lady Nil."
Nil nodded.
"As you bid, my Lord." she began to walk, turning her back on them as she headed into the forest. Aeris was horrified when she saw that her waist was literally nonexistent in human standards - but it was absolutely perfect and dignified in Ca-Elumian pleasure. She was a true lady and they knew it. With careful steps they picked up the pace and followed the curious noble.

The forest was as calming as its name suggested. The trees covered most of the sky with their leaves, letting in a few bits of the sun here and there but generally created a peaceful atmosphere. Nil walked with dignity but with a slow enough place for the trio to keep up with her. When they were deeper into the woods she finally began to talk again.
"I think I am also one who owes an apology, Lady Eias." she mentioned her name casually, probably knowing it from the aforementioned rumors "I chose my words poorly when I was talking about the Muses, clearly a topic both dear and delicate to you. Due to my rather limited view on these powerful spellcasters I decided to treat them as... well, like a normal human being, honestly. Wizards with exceptional skills but still wizards. I meant no disrespect of course, their magics are... rather intriguing. I just so detest the overhyped society we live in that I tend to speak with a harsher tone than necessary when in public - among fewer people I am much more ready to... share the real opinions I have."
She glanced back at them, inspecting their gear just momentarily before turning away.
"I have heard of your arrival few weeks ago. It was probably one of the most controversial news we have had in a while... fortunately the chaos was diffused quickly."
Eon felt a bit worried.
"What do you mean, my Lady?"
"Oh why it is simple. Most nobles do not like new... competitors at all. They wish to stay in their inner circle, a bubble they can call of their own. The fact that a new wealthy 'competitor' enters the scene is not something many took lightly. Fortunately, Lady Meryl and Lady Blaemaux, as well as your deeds so far convinced many that it is more beneficial to treat you as...healthy rivals. I... had hoped otherwise."

They were reaching a shrouded meadow and Nil stopped. Taking a surprisingly deep breath she turned to her company with a serious face.
"You have to understand that gaining allies in turbulent times like these is not easy. That you are privileged by Lord Latosius is something many see with a baleful eye. Having friends among the nobility is one thing - mingling with the Lord Advisor is a completely different one. Others may think that you think of yourselves too high ti mingle with them, only befriending people with higher positions. You did not make the best first impression either when you chose to venture into the lower city first rather than talking with the nobility... a rather dangerous game you three play, on the razor's edge do you dance."
She smiled.
"And THAT is why I like you. Living such a... hazardous life whilst still craving greatness is something I can only respect. This is why I wished to talk in private. I wished to propose... friendship. Which, of course... would be beneficial for both of us."
She folded her hands together, waiting for a reply.

As her face dropped a little at the sight of Aeris, she turned her head slightly. What had gotten into her? With a slow start, the began following Nil into the forest. For a few passing moments, she lost track of what was going on around her. The air felt cleaner, the scenery reminded her of home on the road. She could have sworn she was back on land, traveling next to the carriage full of family members. That all came to an end once they came to a stopping point. Hearing the strange woman's words hit her a little. Did she know the true nature of them? Was she just playing an act to get them to come with her? It was a strange tactic, yet it worked apparently.
"A...apology accepted." She said confused. As the girl went on about playing the dangerous game, Eias finally understood what this was all about. She didn't even need Nil to bring up being friends.
"I see...A dangerous game it is, but do you understand why I chose that way?" she said curiously. She knew she shouldn't judge people from small moments of interaction, but she didn't want to get used by someone. She wanted to know their way of thinking as well.

Nil looked at the trio as Eias began to talk. The silence around them was more peaceful than ever before with birds tweeting and the gentle wind blowing as a breeze to soothe their souls. It just seemed to be a harmonious scene where they could all just relax from the tenseness of the world. Yet Nil had no intention to rest just yet... for she had explaining to do.
"I will not pretend to know your motivations, Lady Eias." she said with an honest voice "Well informed I may be I am no means omnipotent or all-seeing. Informants might have given me vague recollections of your deeds but your purpose eludes me. But... I have a suspicion, truth be told."
She paused, placing her hand on her very thin waist. Moments later a soft, golden glow appeared from her palm and seemingly... reconstructed the waist of the girl, much to Eon and Aeris' horror.
"Earning someone's trust counts as a luxury in Ca-Elum and under normal circumstances I would bother not to do that. But seeing the oddness of your ways and the fact that you have not been intertwined in this society it is... beneficial now in my eyes." her hand was lifted from her chest and the glow ceased, Nil letting out a gasp of air as she did so.
"I am no stranger to sacrifice." she said with a sardonic smile "I had to work really hard to get into the good graces of the nobles since my arrival here a decade ago. I achieved the fame and greatness you achieved in weeks in long years." she chuckled "Don't get me wrong, I am by no means envious, it was the path I chose... but what I mean to get to here is that my road was so long that I am bound by not only traditions but also by the expectations of everyone else. I now belong to the inner circle of Her Majesty's handmaidens and I hold this position with pride. Because of this though... I have obligations and prohibitions which I can not overstep."

The breeze began to blow harder just for a moment, lifting the lady's hair in the process. Underneath the beautiful locks a rather scar was visible for just a brief moment before everything returned to normal. Nil, though was still friendly, now turned solemn.
"I will be honest with you - all of you: our friendship I propose could be beneficial for both of us. Since I am close to the Duchess almost everything that happens in the city, including special and certain... events... all come through me. Information is my tool and noble smile is my weapon, I can arrange a lot of things which could make your lives easier. In turn... I wish to ask something of you too."
She paused for a moment.
"There is... someone in the lower parts of the town I wished to meet in quite some time. She is rumored to be a... bright little girl whom I own a great pleasure. A little girl who made my life worth living when the darkest days were ahead of me..."
For the first time her visage trembled slightly as she stared at Eias. Aeris' eyes widened as she though she knew who the woman was talking about. Without a mistake... it had to be one of those little orphans...
"The little girl... my little girl... called Lilly."

It was no doubt that having more allies in the city was a need. Given the nature of most nobles in the city, she understood that those who were deviant from the norm were much more helpful than penny pinches. As Nil explained the situation she was in, being close to the duchess, Eias grew more and more invested in her. How could she just take her word for it? How could she trust another seemingly normal noble in this city? It was idiotic. There was one thing that grabbed her intention quickly though. The young girls name that was uttered in near silence.

Eias mouthed the word "Wind" as the conversation lulled for the moment. Was this truly a member of a family or simply a ruse? It was up in the air but Eias was having none of it.
"Even if we were to know of such a person, What proof do you have of being a family member? What reason do you seek them out out of any other day?

Nil stared at the trio with something that seemed to be pride in her eyes. When Eias raised the rightfully doubt-filled questions she did not flinch. She merely pushed back a rogue lock of her hair in order as she listened to the Muse speaking. She nodded to herself - her informants were not kidding: this woman was something... else.
"You have been here for merely a month or so and yet you managed to get into the mentality that suits nobles very well." she said with a kind voice, smiling again "You are wise not to trust people immediately, especially if their claims are as wild as mine, no matter whether they contain truth of not. This caution will make you an excellent addition to the noble hierarchy - it took me nearly a year to properly conceal my emotions like that."

She shifted around, looking at a blossoming tree as her hair was lifted by the gentle breeze once more. Her eyes were glinting in the weak sunlight, her angelic features more radiant than ever before. And at that moment Aeris could see the similarity of her and Lilly's smile - but decided to keep it quiet. It was a talk between Matriarchs - and she was but an observer.
"I have no proof - I have made sure of that few years ago." she said quietly, turning back to Eias "I know that my word alone will likely be a weak evidence for confirming the truth - and that is exactly why I wished you to accompany me to the woods. The person I am meeting here will be able to testify my statements... and more."
She once again turned around, motioning the girls to follow her. And so they did.

Few more minutes have passed as the little group walked through the forest, a cleanly kept road allowing them free passage into the heart of the serenity filled place. Nil's movements were surprisingly easy despite the heavy burden that her clothes were and her posture seemed unwavering save for those one or two split seconds when a silent gasp left her mouth. Aeris wondered just why did the woman keep up such a painful state of being but then she remembered her own plight: she would have done everything for those few she cherished, it just made sense for her that Nil did the same.
The shade of the forest actually managed to clear up her mind a bit, that became evident as she regained her posture. The dark welcomed the noble-looking girl, not even her tightly fit corset did torment her now. Clutching the hand of Eias with gentle firmness she now walked beside her as an equal partner and not someone who needed to be dragged around.
It was then when Nil stopped and motioned them to carefully and slowly follow her. They arrived to a secluded glade, lit by artificial moonlight to create a mysterious atmosphere. On the edge of the glade, on a wooden bench did a cloaked figure sit, murmuring something and reading a book. Upon hearing the newcomers arrive she raised her cloaked head and rose from the bench.
"My Lady! It has been quite a while." the familiar, warm voice filled the glade as the stranger stepped towards them. Nil, walking forward towards the cloaked figure smiled and chuckled.
"Indeed it has been, Luu. And if you call me 'My Lady' one more time I will be really angry at you."
The cloaked figure chuckled.
"Can't help it Nilly. It's just..." she turned her attention to the trio and let out a gasp, removing her cloak "Lady Eias! Lord Aaron! Eon! It is a pleasure as always!"
Matron Luula, leader of the orphanage, stood before them with the happiest, widest smile possible.

Eias crossed her arms as Nil spoke of how she had changed so fast. Was it true? Was Eias really changing to be less inviting and trusting? Was this for the best or was it to be her downfall. She may need to take a step back and understand herself more. If she kept going on like this, she really may loose herself in the society. As Nil walked further in the forest, Eias and the others followed along. With her head hung low, she shuffled into the strange glade full of moonlight. Was it really night time already? No, it was just magic she was sure. Still, she couldn't help but drink in the atmosphere. Perhaps she would come here some time later to think of her standings.

Those thoughts were stopped immediately with the addition of a new voice. A familiar voice that she quickly found the origin from. As the cloaked figure started rushing to them, she wondered who was underneath the hood. Once Nil spoke the name, Eias' cocked her head to the side in surprise. Seeing the Orphanage leader in moonlight was one of the last things she would have suspected. "Y-yeah. A pleasure to see you as well. Are... are the kids doing alright? None of them walking off when they shouldn't?"

Luula let out a friendly chuckle as she understood the pun Eias was getting at. She smiled once more, observing the trio.
"The girls and boys are rather happy now that they had a nice little show a while ago thanks to all of you." she said calmly "Lilly is of course restless as always but for some reason she promised to stay put this time. She is still constantly asking when you are coming for a visit... Though in the current state it is unlikely that you will do."
Nil's face darkened as Luula fell silent. It was then that Aeris finally spoke up.
"Is there something amiss? Danger perhaps?"
"The lich patrols had been increased as of recently." Luula spoke in silence "A gloomy presence looms over the lower city and I know not how safe the passage into the city is. Those unholy thralls patrol everywhere and frighten everyone even if they don't do anything. The Duchess sent out regiments to stop them but they were not successful at all. I fear for the children, honestly..."
"It is getting worse then." Nil furrowed her brows "They are getting bolder each day... I do not like this at all but even the royal court is afraid of doing anything. I can still get my donations through to sustain your home, Luu, but I know not whether I can do more. Her Majesty is also troubled by this."
Luula turned to Nil.
"You are already doing everything you can, Nil, for that I am eternally grateful. Your daughter is the bravest one among the children as well. She keeps inspiring them with speeches and distract them with games and such. She works hard to make them feel normal... just like her mother."
Nil let a sardonic smile sit on her face, turning to the trio.

"I am not of Ca-Elumian origin, you know. I have ventured here after the city was floated into the sky and... climbed through the ranks. By the grace of Lord Latosius I was promoted into nobility from being a commoner fairly quickly but there was an issue: I was pregnant by the time I came here. The man I loved I lost in a fierce battle and all I had was the little angel I knew I would name Lilly. As a noble back then without a husband having a child would have meant execution on the spot - both for her and for the baby. I could not have let my daughter to just meet her end the moment she was born... so I had to turn to Luu for help..."
Aeris nodded.
"You gave her away."
"I put her into the custody of the best person I knew." Nil said, sighing "It was the hardest decision in my life and... during these times did I turn into the nobility to the fullest. I wanted to accumulate wealth to donate to Luu's cause... I wanted to give a future for not only my child but for every child whose fate may be as Lilly's. But I never gave up on her. Never. And I never will."
She bowed her head as the corset visible tightened on her waist, Nil needed to restrain herself from crying out. She raised her hand and the light healed her body once more just as before, allowing her to breathe. She looked up once more, her stern face looking at the girls.

"I know a lot about sacrifices, Lady Eias. I know that you and your friends are here to impress the nobility and to get into their good graces... what for, I will not inquire about. It is none of my business. However, time runs short as each passing day may lead to danger for the children and the people and thus I will stand here before you with a proposal. Mother to Mother."
She looked as serious as never before.
"I will lend you my aid as best as I can. I will feed you information, get you into the inner circles... and can even supply you with top notch corsets which are more elegant then yours yet less restraining as well."
Aeris glanced over to Eias who looked slightly troubled by something, Gently squeezing the girl's arm she turned to Nil.
"And what do you ask in return?"
Nil nodded.
"Your alliance, your friendship. I have heard that Lady Eias has some... wondrous qualities, magic to be more precise. Magic that can... remedy things if needed. This and... your protection of Luu."
Luula blinked.
"I wish you to ask Lord Latosius to reinforce the defenses of the lower city today at the banquet. Influential I may be but I do not carry as much weight by the Lord as you three do. If you could convince him to do this... my dear and everyone else would sleep safer at night."
She panted again, putting her hand on her stomach. Luu quickly grabbed the woman, ushering her to the bench.
"I told you not to overdo it, Nil! You are insane!"
"I am fine..." she mused, raising her hand, a fainter glow rising up as she put her hand on her waist "It... is nothing."

Hearing the slightly good news, Eias felt some relief. Sadly, that wasn't to last. Knowing now that the evil creatures were still out and about regularly didn't help anyone in the lower cast. With a heavy sigh, she had to believe the girl. If not her, then Luu. How could she deny the word of someone who truly cares for the kids? Knowing the favor that Nil wanted made sense to everything they were already doing. Besides, if the reinforced the poor then that would give them much more sway everywhere. It could even start a movement for noble and commoner to work together. Seeing Nil's state now, she understood the emotional plight. True emotions rang true in the eyes of the clothing.

"We are here to save the city... More so were it originated." She stated soon after. "there is an ancient relic that my people can harness though it seems to be used by the wrong hands... it has pleuged the people and must be stopped. So, that is why were are here. Gain the trust of the common, noble, and her Majesty. Only then can we find the right path to getting this fixed. Now... We have to save a few. Some who are of good blood in a bad place. I can't let them down. So, I will help. Lilly was one who I saved and I am not about to let her down this time. So, don't worry. I'll talk to them."

Nil did not say anything, only smiled. Her gloved hand was bathing in the weak golden light as she seemed to breathe easier for the moment, Luula waving some air her way too. She listened to the girl's speech, her proposal and her kind words. Aeris was happy that her friend offered her services to the noble woman... until she actually realized what words she used to describe their quest. With horror in her eyes she turned to Eias but she seemed to be too late - the two women had already taken notice.
"Wait..." Luula said, raising up, furrowing her brows "What do you mean... by your kind?"
Aeris stepped forward.
"She... does not mean anything important by that of course! She means us outlanders of course! She-"
"There is no need to a charade like this, Lord Aaron." Nil smiled, regaining her breath as her hand seemingly healed her waist a second time "Don't you see it, Luu? The elegance she speaks with... the fortitude she has... the knowledge she has. It is simple, really."

Luula's eyes widened.
"No... that can not be! She can not be!"
Nil chuckled.
"Why not? She is - after all - as amazing as you proclaimed her to be. There is no doubt. Especially not after she had... greeted us like this."
Nil managed to push herself upwards, though it was evident that it was painful for her to do so. Walking over to Eias she bowed deeply - as her clothes permitted.
"I was not kidding when I said it would be an honor, Lady EIas." she said earnestly "Witnessing the majesty and grace of a real Muse gives me relief and solace."
Luula on the other hand was much less formal. She literally walked up to the girl and fell to her knees.
"I... did not know! I swear! It is... the greatest honor..."
Nil smiled at her friend before she returned to a more... bearable posture.
"Thank you for everything you have done already for my daughter, My Lady... and for your hopefully continued support too. You will not regret it."
The glint in her eyes betrayed her true feelings. Looking close up on Nil made Aeris realize that her youthful appearance betrayed a much more mature person. She looked surprisingly calm despite her body clearly writhing in agony, her face betrayed nothing about her suffering. Strangely enough this reminded Aeris of herself partially... but she shook off the weird deja vu she was having. She held Eias closer, her arm gently squeezing around her friend as she allowed a small spark of warmth to flow into her. She wanted to make her know silently that she was very proud of her.

It took only a few words for Eias to understand what she had done. Luu questioning her words made her heart stop beating at that very moment. Covering her mouth, her eyes widened to the realization of what she had done.
"Oh nononono...." She whispered to herself in anger and frustration. She had dropped the important information of who she was. A muse among these people was a dangerous thing should word get out. She was sure there would be those who would try to hurt her while others got in the way with honoring her. The situation only got worse once Nil explained it aloud to the small group. With a heavy sigh, Eias had to accept she had just done something stupid. To rub it all in, Luu got to her knees to apologize. Placing her face into an open palm, Eias couldn't believe this was happening. The only comfort she had was Aeris putting her arm around her.
"Honestly... It.. you don't need to treat me any different. I'm.. Just a normal person. I eat, sleep, walk, and talk. Please, don't treat me any different. I just like to help." She said with a pleading voice. She couldn't bare to be treated as a higher being just cus she was born a certain way.

Nil watched as Eias became uncomfortable and let out a small chuckle.
"Luu always revered Muses. She actually dreamed of meeting one in real life since she was young." she smiled, looking at the trio "I guess we can consider it as a little extra happiness too. Making her dream come true..."
She watched as the orphan-matron finally managed to stand up, still blushing and staring at Eias with awe.
"I... am sorry if I made this uncomfortable for you, My Lady. I just... never believed that I would have the fortune to meet a Muse! I heard tales of the late queen being a powerful one and I... well..."
Eon blinked.
"The Queen of Ca-Elum was also a Muse?"
Luula nodded.
"She was a revered person for sure, she used her harp to soothe the souls of her citizens and to bring harmony and prosperity upon all of them. She was a very kind person, according to the stories... but she was gone by the time we arrived into the city with Nil... I... always wished to meet her... to know if she could-"
Nil touched her shoulder, silencing the trembling matron.
"It is fine Luu, you need not to worry about it, Lady Eias is here and she will help you and the children - her bravery is all but assured."

Luula shook her head. She turned to Eias.
"Nil would be too stubborn to ask for your help in personal matters but I am not! I have sought a healer of a magnitude that is a Muse for so long but I could never find one... But now the chance is here and I feel that I must seize it at all cost!"
Nil's eyes widened, losing her composure momentarily as she realized what her friend wanted to do.
"No, Luula! Stay out of this..."
"You see her, do you not?" Luula pushed on "You see how much she pushes herself despite her condition? You see how much she sacrifices on a daily basis just to keep me and the children safe? She offers everything for my cause, even her own money and health and I can sit idle no longer."
"Luula, behave yourself!"
The matron sighed.
"Nil's body is really fragile. It is only due to her inherent healing magic that she keeps herself out of harm's way and allows her to push on. She reconstitutes her body with her healing spells every day frequently because the corset just outright crushes her! She suffers every day and its getting worse as the strain becomes greater!"
Nil said nothing, only closing her eyes, trying not to confirm or deny the claims of her friend. But Luula was not done just yet.
"I know we have asked much already, Lady Eias, but even more I shall ask from you." she said, her voice wavering for a moment "I... I ask you to try and heal Nil with your magic somehow! Try to help her get out from this deadly condition before it is too late! I... I beseech you not as servant does a Muse but... as a desperate friend who clings to her beloved ones so desperately."

Silence befell the moonlit glade as Luula ended her plea. The air stopped, making a complete stillness envelope the girls as they stood on the soft, tall grass. Only the light breathing was audible as they stared at each other with anticipation and slight anxiety. Once again, it was the well groomed noble who decided to break the standstill, smiling at the matron.
"Forgive Luula for her outburst, My Lady. She is... very passionate about me." Nil said calmly, the warm, polite smile directed at Eias "I, on the other hand, understand that such issues are beyond the limits of alliances that one can forge with another, especially if the budding friendship between the two people is based on mutual trust of each other's words and nothing else."
Luula felt disheartened and her heart sunk upon hearing Nil talking about herself in such a self-deprecating way.
"You already have a lot on your plate: the discussion of the Chess Game is due today, the plight of preparation is a great one and must demand your attention. I suggest we all return to our residence shortly: though the moonlight in this glade is indeed artificial the chill of the wind indicates that night shall fall upon us shortly - and I reckon that means Luula has to return to the lower city as well. And worry not: your secret is safe with us, My Lady."
Luula said nothing but shot one pleading glance towards Eias as she paused, waiting for the goodbyes to happen.

As things started to settle down with the new information of what Eias truly was, she became reserved in her form. Crossing her arms, she didn't say a word. There were small gasps and noises as they revealed how the once queen was also a muse. Sadly, they were speaking in the past tense. Surly there was no one to ask the harder questions. There was also mild shock at hearing how Nil was doing. It was fairly obvious that her form wasn't healthy. Knowing now she had some from of rejuvenation made sense but it sounded like it was slowly fading in effectiveness. She heard the pleas of Luu to fix her but Eias didn't know what she could do! She didn't have an exact spell for it. She would do it if she could, that was no lie.

It was nearing the time to head back and Eias was still fairly confused about everything.
"If I knew what I was doing... I would help with it. I just don't have all the answers right now. Most of the time, this muse stuff just happens. I'm sorry but I can't help her right now." She said to Luu. "We will see you soon I am sure though. If I can help Nil by then, I will. For now, she is right. We should head back."

Aeris had to bite her lip slightly to remain composed after Eias' words reached the ears of Luula. Though saying nothing she saw the hopeful glinting in the matron's eyes to evaporate completely, sorrow and despair began to swirl within the heart of the youthful woman. Exchanging sympathetic and worrying glances with Nil she nodded and put on her cloak, concealing her being.
"Thank you for accompanying Nil to the forest. And for everything else too, My Lady." Luula said, turning to Eias "I hope to see you soon. Fare you well... and be careful during the Chess Game."
With that she walked off, her nimble form hurrying with grace and elegance into the depths of the forest.

The little group stood there for few minutes before anyone dared to make a move. Nil, nodding at the trio began to motion them to follow her as before.
"I am grateful for what you have done for Lilly. All of you... I am already in your debt for that." she said quietly as she walked with elegant steps. Now that she had the information Aeris could not help but to glance to the waist of the girl which indeed seemed to be in a... dire state. Not only was it considerably smaller due to the training Nil had been through but it visibly heaved heavily under the corset as well. How Nil remained steadfast and was able to conceal her thirst for air and speak fluently without troubles at the same time eluded her.
"We did our best and we shall continue to do so - it is natural to protect those who can not protect themselves." she managed to speak up.
"A noble sentiment - but I am not someone who is used to get favors, Lord." Nil spoke gently "I fully intend to repay my debt and repay I shall - I will not back down from this."
Her voice was stern and dignified, resonating power that told Aeris that she would not waver or accept no as an answer - and thus they walked, silently enjoying the environment.

It was indeed close to dusk by the time they reached the garden again, its wondrous beauty resonating with all of them. Not many nobles lingered around any more, most of them departed to attend to their duties or were preparing for the feast of the night. Pausing at the exit of the forest Nil turned to her company and bowed - again, as much as her clothes permitted her to do so.
"It was a truly delightful experience to walk with all of you." she said with a happy, chiming voice, the rigid etiquette resonating with her as she spoke "I am glad that we could get to know each other better and the fact that we were able to... get to an agreement as well. It lightens my heart that such noble individuals exist in Ca-Elum, people who can fully be trusted."
Her words, while really formal, were uttered out quite loud, no doubt to catch the attention of the other nobles. It seemed that Nil was indeed expert in these games and that she was more than willing to play her part when she needed to.
"I hope that all of you have been rejuvenated from this little refreshing walk." she said calmly, this time her voice normal instead of loud "Should you require my assistance or wish to seek me out for counseling you will find me in the garden at the fountain almost every day. I would be more than happy to chat with all of you again."
She stood there, smiling - small beads of sweat cascading down her forehead as she kept the uncomfortable, difficult posture of a noble woman: her hands gently pressed against her corset, folded together signified that the woman was concealing her condition quite well. With a weary smile she eyed Eias, waiting for the noble girl to say her good-byes as well so that they shall part ways.

Eias knew that Luu wouldn't find the news happy. She saw how the woman's face changed with the answer. She really did feel sorry for them. If she could control it then everything would be better. Everything would be easier to manage during all of this. She simply waved as the woman walked off, out of the garden. Leaving them to walk back to the gate, they began small chatter along the way. She understood where Nil was coming from. No one liked getting help without something in return. It made people feel terrible inside. All Eias wanted was for people to live a good life. That was payment enough. She knew that wouldn't fly with everyone though.

As they reached the end, Eias gave her best bow as well.
"We will seek you out at some point. Being someone who has lived here for quite some time makes for a good informant. I hope your evening goes well. Good night Nil. And... I will keep trying to find a way to help with your condition. It really doesn't look healthy."

Nil smiled at them and chuckled a bit at Eias' remark.
"Your kindness seems to be truly limitless, my Lady. Watch out for that, many who wish to get ahead in society will try to exploit it." she nodded "Worry not about me. I will get along. Focus on your duties and best of luck at the Chess Games. Seek me out whenever you feel you need it."
And thus the elegant, young noble departed, leaving the trio practically alone in the gardens. Aeris waited until she was certain Nil was out of earshot before she sighed.
"Luula was not kidding... she IS pushing herself to her limits. We have our difficulties sure but... what she does is outright lunacy."
"Not as shocking as you may think." Eon said quietly "Her wear indicated her status: she must be a very high ranking noble, a favorite of the Duchess if she is willing to go for such lengths. Still... she seems like a kind hearted one, all things considered. I... believe it would be folly throwing away her aid during these times. The Chess Game is a mystery even to me and what Meryl told me its tasks change from occasion to occasion. If Lady Nil truly knows this much about everything using this connection to our advantage will be a good idea."

Aeris nodded as the three of them began to make their way towards the exit, looking for the way inside the palace as well. They passed by some chatty nobles, listening to their excited words but they were making their way towards their destination with conviction. The halls, now reverberating the sounds in their emptiness welcomed the trio as they made their way towards their rooms.
"We still have an hour or so before we need to depart." Aeris said "An attendant will arrive by us to guide us into the dining room, Lord Latosius claimed. Once there we will be met by either him or by another attendant who will try and explain everything about the upcoming games, including when they will be and where they will be."
She looked at Eias and Eon.
"I suggest we rest up before the time comes. Try to do some breathing exercises so that we can dine properly. This is especially crucial to you Eias: try to practice breathing whilst eating with your neck corset on. Just to make sure everything is fine."
They finally arrived at the door and Aeris nodded.
"After you, My Ladies." she said, opening the door to the two of them.

Even when she stepped on the small stairs leading up to her modest residence Nil almost felt the world blurring out from existence. She had foolishly opened up herself to emotions today and that was a dangerous ploy to play. She knew they were invaluable for bonding with others but she knew that she was playing a dangerous game already. Alas, as a handmaiden of her Majesty this was the risk she had to take and accept. Her rank demanded it. Fate dictated it.

She entered her cozy little house dizzily, grabbing the wall as she entered. A woman of lesser position might have clawed at their corset to break free but even at death's door Nil maintained her posture and elegance. Raising one hand she murmured some words and the faint golden glow appeared around the laces behind her back. In almost an instant the corset untied itself, letting the girl to breathe once more. She coughed rapidly at the sudden freedom, almost collapsing on the floor from the intoxicating feeling. Removing the elegant clothes she gazed at herself in her mirror. Beneath the surface of her elegance laid the horrible truth not even Luu knew about: her body literally was painful to watch, deformed, shrunk waist, bruised, thin skin left their mark on her belly, gruesome marks of the past - and the price she had to pay for this life.

She was accepted by the Duchess when no one else did. She was graced by Latosius when she never had her dreams came true before. She spared herself only when she bore Lilly to shelter the tiny girl from harm but aside from that she fought hard to get into the good graces of their rules. Her faith in her was not misplaced: though being on the verge of death constantly the Duchess rewarded her loyalty: she was showered with wealth, money and clothes alike, custom made corsets to make her more resilient. She came so close to the enigmatic leader that she was treated as her favorite subject as far as she was concerned. Yet this charade mattered little to Nil. She was happy that she had circles where she belonged to but her mind was only about one thing: to secure a future for her daughter and her friend.

And now with a Muse as her ally she felt her hopes... surge. She smiled as she put her glowing hand on her stomach, reconstituting her body one final time this day. Her hand began to flicker midway through the cast and she felt the need to push herself harder to finish casting.
"My magic... seems to be weaker with each passing day..." she grunted, wiping away a drop of sweat "I can not give up. Not now when I came this far..."
She mustered her energies to finish the painful task, not even glancing elsewhere. She focused her thoughts on the beautiful Muse she had met and the wonderful little girl she saw with them. When her mind wandered to Aeris, though, she shuddered. But seeing how she held her friend she became curious... and did not regret her decision in the end to approach them.

Eias knew deep down that was the case for the nobles. They would try to take advantage of her and the others if she wasn't careful. But, she would rather not loose herself in all of this. She wanted to remain a good person to all. She waved Nil off and they departed but they would surely come back to see her sometime soon. She seemed much more important than just some noble. For now, they had a dinner to go to.

They walked back to the room, navigating the halls once more in this large palace.
"An hour huh? Then we definitely should rest." She agreed with Aeris. She hobbled back to the bed to sit down. If there was one thing she would miss about these beds, they were all so comfortable! Probably go help the nobles not die of exhaustion. "So, what do we propose to do while we wait?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back