Which standard?

• Fahrenheit

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Celsius

Votes: 21 77.8%
  • Honestly, neither.

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters
I grew up with Celsius, so that's what I'm taking, honestly with this one it's mostly just a matter of numerical values, as opposed to metric system versus imperial, where one has sensible metrics and the other is rather archaic.

Though admittedly, Fahrenheit might be better if we're talking astrophysics

Fahrenheit is based on human comfort levels and typical temperature ranges. 0 = really cold, 100 = really hot. It's better for day-to-day discussions of weather.

Celsius is based on laboratory-reproducible, well-defined conditions. 0 = water freezes, 100 = water boils (at standard pressure). It's better for scientific and engineering applications.

All of the science teachers I've had HATED Fahrenheit, since it didn't make sense. Honestly, I wish the US used metric system too. Celsius is much easier, to be honest. 32 degrees Fahrenheit is the freezing point for water, and I think 212 degrees is the boiling point. It's just hard to remember, and Celsius is much easier, as yes, 0 degrees is freezing point, 100 degrees is boiling point. It just makes more sense, to be honest.

9i9fudjhzw921.jpg

I can't wrap my head around Fahrenheit as I grew up with Celsius, so I'll always pick Celsius over Fahrenheit. Though that doesn't make either system "smart" or "not smart", I guess.

Celsius is more convenient when converting temperatures into Kelvin, though, isn't it? Kelvin is what we usually use in my science/engineering classes, and rarely we use Celsius, too.

Celsius is simple, boiling and freezing, but I was brought up on Fahrenheit, sooooo...

Neither! Kelvin is the true scale of temperature!

But no, to answer the question, I think that celsius is the more intelligently defined scale. This is because it has a more rigorous definition - it's based entirely upon the freezing and boiling points of water at 1atm of pressure.

There are various definitions of the Fahrenheit scale and most of them are quite shaky.

But no, to answer the question, I think that celsius is the more intelligently defined scale. This is because it has a more rigorous definition - it's based entirely upon the freezing and boiling points of water at 1atm of pressure.

There are various definitions of the Fahrenheit scale and most of them are quite shaky.
Well, yes, I have to agree on that part. Kelvin is the most scientific of them all, and temperature is a part of science so... Yes.

What this guy sez.

All about how you learned it. I'm American, so Fahrenheit it is

F means Fucking landed on the moon
C means Can't land on the fucking moon

Murica memes are always hilarious

K means...

Honestly, where do people even use kelvin.
Astrophysics I guess? It’s just Celsius but set to absolute zero. I’ve only ever heard it in scientific contexts like when they talk about the temperature of stars

Astrophysics I guess? It’s just Celsius but set to absolute zero. I’ve only ever heard it in scientific contexts like when they talk about the temperature of stars
Telescope manufacturer here. We prefer Kelvin when taking measurements but in practice it is common to use Celsius for other stuff. Most specs for our systems tend to use Celsius even - usually something like 'this camera needs to be at a constant -30°C' for instance.

Even then turning one into the other no hassle given they are the same unit just shifted over 273.15 degrees.

On topic, metric system for life. I've had to do some math in Imperial and it still gives me an urge to perform industrial action on whomever tries to say it's better than metric.

TIMES TEN YOU DENSE CNUTS IT IS NOT HARD.

Last edited:
The imperial system is better for day to day life but if you'd legitimately defend it over the metric system then you have obviously never been in a science class.

The imperial system is better for day to day life but if you'd legitimately defend it over the metric system then you have obviously never been in a science class.
I dislike metric because of science class.

It would be fine if I was taught it from the moment I started school but I got to middle school and was like "what the hell is this I have to learn a new way of doing things!"

That's also why I suck at spanish class. If you had taught me spanish from my early years I would be pretty damn close to bilingual. But nooo, you've gotta teach it in, like, 7th grade.

This is why America sucks!

I dislike metric because of science class.

It would be fine if I was taught it from the moment I started school but I got to middle school and was like "what the hell is this I have to learn a new way of doing things!"

That's also why I suck at spanish class. If you had taught me spanish from my early years I would be pretty damn close to bilingual. But nooo, you've gotta teach it in, like, 7th grade.

This is why America sucks!

Although that is slightly amusing you do bring up the problem of it just being rooted into the minds of students from early on. Even though it is up to the person to learn and adapt, the education system over there doesn't make things any easier.

Although that is slightly amusing you do bring up the problem of it just being rooted into the minds of students from early on. Even though it is up to the person to learn and adapt, the education system over there doesn't make things any easier.
Also I pay to fail at these subjects. Or I will, at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back