• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here

Lorsh

Varlot
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
1662163229806.png

• ASSISTANT GMs

Lord Bradorian Lord Bradorian

Useful counting tool. It tallies up all the numbers present in whatever you paste.

Last edited:

It has been six months since the death of Agbert II, and the end of the horrible campaign in Valcay. Carmondy's armies retreated to the coast, where they disbanded in haste. Several thousand knights and soldiers were left behind, or chose to stay and defend the last few castles and towns that were under their lords' control. Most of the Valcayan allies of Carmondy have surrendered, or switched sides back to their king - who has now regained control of most of his country. A small number of Valcayan knights and nobility have gone into exile in Carmondy.

In Carmondy, taxes were raised on all towns and cities under royal charter, in at attempt to recuperate some of the treasury's losses. Several riots were orchestrated by townlings claiming extortion, with the deadliest insurrection occurring in the High City itself. This rebellion in the capital was crushed by royalist forces led by Sir Argane Erhard, who was subsequently appointed as 'Grand Marshal' by King Edmund. The dismembered limbs of the leading agitators now hang from the walls of the capital. The appointment of this new Grand Marshal has led to resentment among several key members of the peerage, who had been expecting a member of their own houses to be chosen, whereas Sir Argane was a relatively obscure noble.

In Fyrdos, King Tharon continues to be undermined by Agbert's successor. He is made to give an oath of fealty to King Edmund, and help cover the expenses for his coronation, as well as Agbert II's funeral. He rules over no capital, merely having an itinerant court that rides along a circuit of towns and castles. Of course, he must also report to his 'handler', the High Magistrate in the Carmon-controlled city of Gwyburgh. Along with the clans and the commons, many knights and lesser lords yearn for open confrontation with Carmondy.

In Dyrnwald, the threat of faends and sorcerors looms large, as it always has. The ditches, fortifications, and numerous militiamen at Castergard Town protect the plains below from any evil encroachments from the Old Kingdom. Flanked by Fort Estlar and the paladins of the Everlight Order, patrols are regularly made by soldiers and knights. However, the Shadow Woods cutting down through the middle of the borderlands are impossible to keep in check - so sometimes there are sightings of monsters or faends as far south as Kalside. Most fauna from the Old Kingdom is hideous, but harmless. Still, there's still plenty of horrific tales whenever something particularly nasty manages to creep its way through the Shadow Woods. The monarchy of this realm has always been rather weak, with the land ruled by largely independent lords, who only nominally owe King Madric fealty. Private wars between members of the nobility usually proceed unchecked by any royal authority, but they tend to be rather small in scale. This endemic warfare has further impoverished the realm.

In autumn, no major actions were taken in any of the kingdoms. The harvest - unprofitable as it was - still had to be gathered. Throughout the hard winter months, the lords and their schemes were forced to lie dormant. Now that spring has come and the snows are melting, armies will be able to be raised once again, just after the planting is ended.

Last edited:

• Amias awakens lastly out of all those in his household with one thing at the forefront of his mind -- pain. His head ached, back ached, and upon sitting up out of his bed and placing his feet on the floor, a lightning strike of dull pain shot up through the balls of his feet, through his calves, to his knees. With a groan, the old lord pulls himself to his feet to prepare for the day ahead.

Though he lives as healthily as he can, eating right and staying as active as a busy lord can, visiting with his physician often, nothing could take away from the test of time his body has faced. At least his mind was still sharp, he thought to himself -- father died when he was three years younger than Amias currently is, and a year before that he was all but gone, apart from his physical self. So though pain is on Amias' mind in his first waking moments, gratitude for his longevity is on his mind in the next.

Now dressed in his lordly robes, Amias takes a long look at his plans for the day (see Command tab.) For the last few weeks, he had not done much in the way of lord's work - too tired, too much on the mind. Particularly about late King Agbert's death, and the consequences it would have for the realms of both Carmondy and Fyrdos, the consequences it was already having. As well as worries for his daughter, Ibba, and her lack of a husband despite having come of age nearly ten years ago now. She had balked at all suitors he had thus far presented her, and though it was in his every right to select one for her, he could not bring himself to press her into a marriage she did not want.

Anyway, now, it was time to get back to lording.

After carefully looking over and thinking out each scribbled notation he had made for himself, he moves out into his throne room (whatever it'd be called,) to speak with Sir Bigge and Sir Olbrecht about what must be done, to dispatch them on their various tasks, as well as to receive advisory on these several matters.

Last edited:
Robert gazed upon his councilors as they sat at a table in the grand hall of the manor. The recent last few weeks had been hectic with the passing of his father, funeral arrangements, and new administrative duties thrusted upon him from the consequences of the invasion. Most recently, the appointment of new bailiffs to the recent escheated fiefs of Mesfirth and Kaspars and the patronage of a new trading venture led by his own cousin. However, as always, more work had to be done. "Sir Volstaff, with the recent escheatment of Kaspars, I seek to protect the woods and ensure that it is properly administered to. Will you see to it that a forester lodge is established at Kaspars? Timber and lumber are at a premium in the Kingdom, and if we are to ever build further ports and ships in the future, then we must tend to what forests we have and make sure that they are judiciously tended to. In addition, I desire a survey of the newly obtained lands via the escheatment of Meskfirth. There may be riches in the hills surrounding the fief, Paragon providing. In addition, Sir Volstaff, how viable do you believe the construction of a port in Meskfirth would be? Rather than sailing around the barony, would it encourage traders to use the roads to travel from the north to the south?"

"In addition, I believe that given the current times... we must maintain our skills honed and sharp. Thus, I propose a hunt in the neighboring forest on the outskirts of Kaspars. It will provide me an opportunity to see the newly escheated lands with my own eyes, and provide an opportunity for all the lords and knights of my domain to meet their new liege. Sir Maynard, will you see to it that this hunt is organized? Next, I ask of you all to give me updates on the various tasks I have appointed upon you in the past few weeks."

---

Prior Actions that still require results/more time:
1. Survey of the levy
2. Trading Venture
3. Potential responses to various letters sent out to family and local notable lords/religious figures

New Proposed Actions:
1. Construction of a Forester Lodge in Kaspars (-100 Gold Crowns)
2. Land survey of Meskfirth to try and see what resources may be available there
3. Organizing a Hunt in the Forest north of Kaspars
4. How economically/financially viable would building a port/dock in Meskfirth be?

Last edited:

As sunlight began to filter through the stained glass of the chapel, so to did Lord Roth rise from his morning prayer with Father Mulley. He had felt the routine affairs of a once-vibrant world grow remarkably dull upon his return to his ancestral seat of Sykes, vassals and lands intact, yet remarkably faded in splendor from cherished memory.

Whatever he lost, it would not be found before the altar of Paragon Emmortal, nor at the feet of canonized saints. Dismissing his court's spiritual counselor for the time being, Lord Roth summoned both of his advisors to the main hall to hear of more earthly concerns.

"Sir Gawain! Bertram!" Lord Roth welcomed his servants. "I seem to recall a sizable village along the coastline to the north of Settor, but the name eludes me and our records. Would either of you happen to know why this place has fallen off the map?"

"Besides that concerning matter, I have seen fit to allocate funds to projects that will improve the earldom." He said, proceeding to offer the two men a sealed letter each bearing the mark of his signet ring.

"Finally, I would like to hear of any recent developments involving House Connway and Lord-Abbot Kenric, as well as our neighbors in Abercroft and Walfirth."

🜲 3860

Retinue
13x Roth household knights
30x Roth squires / men-at-arms
25x Roth mounted sergeants (19x)
• Eastern Detachment 2x
• Central Detachment 2x
• Western Detachment 2x
45x Roth valots (21x)
• Eastern Detachment 8x
• Central Detachment 8x
• Western Detachment 8x

1. Erect wooden watchtowers at the three intersections of the earldom's road network, garrisoning each with 2x mounted sergeants and 8x valots that will patrol both the highway and periodically check-in on minor outlying settlements to keep the peace (🜲 -240).

2. Establish a peat quarry in Watmarr to begin harvesting fertilizer/fuel, and investigate if the wetland can become a source of bog iron (🜲 -50).

3. Construct apiary and vineyard in Bernadock (🜲 200 allocated).

4. Raise two forester lodges in Bernadock, one in the north, and one in the south. Both jurisdictions are tasked to acquire timber in a sustainable manner, thwart poachers, and catch outlaws, as well as acting as barristers and arbiters as is necessary to support the local reeve in upholding the law. Bernadock also receives a new dry dock to make the port stand out from the competition as a hub of shipbuilding, ship repair, and trade (🜲 -272?).

5. Inquire about the settlement to the north of Settor, and the present status of House Connway, Lord-Abbot Kenric, and Sykes' neighboring and fellow vassals in Abercroft and Walfirth.

1662494163169.png

Last edited:

• The recent death of the King was not long ago on the forefront of the young lord's mind. House Styervrigante had always been loyal to the crown, often offering their arm to the king's service. Though the recent campaign failure and the hasty retreat from the war had changed some of the opinions of the counselors that he had at his disposal. Many had grumbled at the continued fealty in this regard; many thought they should focus on the issues closer to home rather than ones far away in the capital. Though Galark knew full well that the politics of the crown would eat men alive if they didn't keep it in check.

On top of that, he had a wife who had her own issues with the situation where Galark had pushed off a lot of work and spent time with her during the winter and even continued to do so. Though he figured a trip to the capital would be on the horizon. But for the time being he had to maintain his holdings, he couldn't sit idly by. With his longsword on his hip in his lords robes he walked into the great hall of Hippoward seeing the various advisors assembled as they bowed their heads as he entered. "Ah, it seems we are all assembled now let us begin with business. Firstly I want a watchtower constructed at the intersection at the center of our land, we can use that as an early warning system as well as a way for the further towns and hamlets to petition aid against bandits and other threats," Galark stated as he pointed to the location of the map at the single intersection of the roads at the center of his territory. "We can maintain a small detachment there," he concluded before looking round the room as it was his Captain of the guard that spoke up.

"Sire, would it not be more prudent to raise a small levy to garrison the area? sending some of our routine away would open us up to any attack from our neighbors," advised Sir Rythan suggested not mentioning much about the location with it being a central location it would allow the garrison to react quickly there should something arise and they could always call for more aid should the need arise.

Galark pondered the idea for a moment he was concerned about rising the levies to do this job as they were not professional soldiers and he couldn't guarantee that they would be best equipped for the job. "I would rather have our soldiers man the tower, though in time we can substitute them out for the local levies. Now moving onto other matters, I would like to attract more merchants to Hippoward with it being next to a river we could make use of that river more. So I would like to offer any merchants that set up shop 20 crowns to do so for the first few that arrive here. This goes without saying that I do not want the village to lose merchants to look to our neighbor across the river when you spread the word. With the lumber we have we can afford to cut some down and set up foresters in Balstain and Kingfoil. Make sure the foresters, however, are replanting trees that they cut down," Garlark stated as he paused for a moment and looked at the map that was on the table.

"Also I want information on our neighbors to our east, while I would like to expand my territory a bit its best to be smart on how we do it, if the house is poor then let us raise them to the occasion. But we can discuss that at a later date, for now let us gather information and work on our issues here," He spoke as he looked for any further questions. As no one seemed to raise them, he turned around and started to leave the hall. "Also, Steward, I leave any small issues of supplies to you for the soldiers at the tower. With my younger sister slowly coming of age, I would also like to send her to the capital for her education. I will hear any petitions later this afternoon; please inform my wife she is obligated to appear in this matter. I know she grieves for her father, but we must show a united face to the people of our lands," he stated before opening the door and exiting. While he hated the fact of dragging his wife away from her mourning, there were just some things that a lord and lady were expected to do.

• There is quiet serenity in the jade-marked dwelling of the Whitakeres, Leofwine Castle. The young lord lied awake, contemplative as always next to the gentle, sleeping form of his wife. In brief periods of directionless thought, he thinks of himself how fortunate that he had managed to marry this noblewoman. There are multiple reasons why Lord Orvyn cherishes this woman: her fair visage, her sharp intellect, and the undying plight to him. Though when he was still young, his suspicions of the woman were still held high. Trust never boiled in the furnace of his chest since that calamitous beginning of the downfall; one could say that still plagues House Whitakere today.

Soon Orvyn would rise carefully from the softness of his bed, steeling himself for today's lordly duties. With proper attire attained on his body, house sword, and refreshed face by wash with cold water to properly waken him, Orvyn proceeded to the conference chamber of Leofwine Castle; nothing particularly extravagant about it since Orvyn built it practical, almost too practical as certain advisors thought it did not display enough pride in the name or another equally vain reason. To Orvyn, it is comfortable and suitable for the task of legislating. After the metaphorical rest of winter, the Lord is happy to see his advisors, chief amongst them Morlock, gathered to assist him.

"Good Morrow to you all," he says with a maturely firm, yet invitingly amicable tone. They replied in kind with words or simply physical gestures. "Now then, let us begin with tomorrow's duties today." He had always said this particular phrase before any assembly, it harbored good fortune in his eyes and he liked the lyric of it. He allowed an advisor to surmise the latest happenings in the lands before proceeding to expand his orders.

"Since there has been an increase in prowling faends along the path, and around Kalside, I would like to divert a small detachment to protect the peoples and the interests of the house. While we're at it, spread word that for the following months that taxes/tithes on merchant businesses will be reduced to improve productivity. Newly-arrived merchants will also receive ten crowns for pledging their establishments there. Give my regards to Sir Yronn as well, his father was a good man to the family."

"May I suggest that we raise more troops to aid in this venture?" One of the younger advisors chimed.

"Yes, that is next on my agenda. I wish to expand our forces. As always harvest from our subjects and spread word out if families of nobler esteem wish to send their sons. Commission the weaponry and armour for 20 footmen." He rubs his facial hair before continuing to speak. "Morlock, I wish to entrust another task to your vigilance. I wish to expand our naval capabilities. To this effect, I recommend we construct forester lodges in Matthieu's Point or Rein." Orvyn taps the two locations on the map with his finger. "However, I stress caution be taken at the lodge in Matthieu's Point which I wish a man to be sent to evaluate the safety. If it is deemed too unsafe for a lodge to be constructed then so be it."

"Very well, Lord Orvyn." The stout, gremlin of a man replied.

"As for this, I've been conversing with my wife on this matter. We are in a relatively well state as of recent months, she wishes to commemorate the house's knightly origins with a festival. I see this as an opportune time for gathering information as well. I will leave the finer details of this celebration to her discretion."

"And lastly, I wish to see an economics report of Herringbone and Pattenbury to see where we can best direct the resources there."

3jRuQ4Z.jpg

Lady Cecilia
Conference Chamber, Leofwine Castle
Worthlessplebian Worthlessplebian

• Immaculate white robes squeezed the young lady out of her comfortable slumber. But neither the spring's gust nor abrupt shimmers of the sky's guardian was responsible for the disruption of her sleep. The rude awakening was, in fact, caused by the lack of radiant heat that often resided within her grasp when the midnight candles were extinguished. Perse gems unveiled themselves from beneath her silvery lashes, as a short sigh escaped her. She was aggrieved by her husband's sudden departure from the repose of their shared sheets. Dainty fingers traced the wrinkled texture of cloth, as the graceful creature attempted to preserve the lingering vestige of their fondest companion. Even after years of being engaged, she could not help but feel lost at particular circumstances. She could sense her husband's distrust yet lingers upon his iron heart - the unintended repercussion of a vengeful young warrior. It pained the woman, day and night, to see Orvyn steeling his fragile soul for a future that they both were uncertain of. The translucent sleeve finally fell from her fair shoulders, as she pulled herself from her melancholic idleness.

But the woman understood it to be necessary, and a part of her deliberately chose to cheer him on, instead of wishfully hoping to mend the fragments of his blazing heart. A soft smile emerged, as the woman amused herself with the memory of her teenage years spent in his company. In hindsight, they certainly came a long way from perfect strangers to convenient partners. She could not remain idle, especially when Orvyn had already left for court. Even if she was fatigued, the lady could not find it in herself to simply fall short of her Lord's works. Before long, she would be attended to by her personal handmaiden.

"A fair morning, Lady Cecilia!" Isabella greeted her mistress with a curtsy as she entered the room, eyeing the empty spot beside the white-haired woman. The young aide then knitted her brows with slight annoyance. "Has Lord Orvyn neither the decency nor the intrigues to susurrate ye from bed, milady?" A light chuckle then escaped Cecilia's perfect visage. "I am grateful that he has granted me the privilege of another wink or two."

Isabella then shook her head. "Even in the solitary light, you are still praising his coarseness. Lord Orvyn, in all his wisdom, should realize how fortunate he is! Hmpf!" Isabella noted, as she tended to her mistress's hair. Cecilia would then start humming to compose her energetic aide. Having aided the woman into her fine ivory-white apparel, the two set off for the conference chamber. "Oh right! Several personal effects have arrived from Rein for you, milady." Isabella brought up the matter, as the two paced themselves down the corridor.

"Oh? By whom?" Cecilia widened her eyes with intrigue.

"Seiral's orphanage, milady." Isabella replied with a confident smile.

"How wonderful! Bring them to my chambers later. We shall see what the children has to say. Oh, one more thing, my dear ... please go ahead and carry out the procurement as we discussed yesternight." Cecilia's gentle hand brushed off of Isabella's, as she dismissed them with a soft smile. "Right away, milady." The handmaiden performed a curtsy and parted ways.

Cecilia, upon entering the convening chambers where warriors and politicians resided, made her way towards her husband's side with a poised and elegant pacing. While she had arrived in the thick of an ongoing discussion of troop displacements, she did her best to square herself away efficiently - settling within her seat beside her husband, all the while donning a firm expression. As she saw fit with the traditions embedded within their society, she only lent an ear to the exchange of words between the men without materializing her opinions outwardly. She understood the virtue of silence and the effectiveness of one's ears. Before long, she would finally give her words, at the behest of Orvyn's remarks.

"Our predecessors recognized the values of not only arms in times of strife, but too, the tenor of the citizens of the realm. This will be a good opportunity to decipher for ourselves the intentions of our neighboring lords and associates, and they need only attend The Cleansing Heart Festival. Our goodwill will be the very instrument to thwart any treacherous disaffections or unsung schemes. Perhaps conjure for ourselves like-minded acquaintances. Having endured us all the passing winter, our spirits must also be rekindled for this year. I've already arranged for the organization efforts thereof. Meanwhile, what I do require personally, o' scholarly delegates and ardent defenders of the realm, is your commitment to best our guests when fighting or drinking." Cecilia smiled at the end, having reviewed the dual purpose of the festival in her husband's stead. As she concluded her piece, Cecilia leaned back in her seat patiently.

"Milord." Cecilia turns towards her husband with a brilliant look in her radiant pair of amethysts, tilting her head slightly. "With your permission, perhaps we could host a tourney of arms to honor the martial traditions that, I understand, our troops are most fond of?" She added.

Last edited:

• There is little in the way of grape-growing this far North, making most wines Valcayan, Gorwadian or South Carmondy imports.

1663568961075.png

It would take a crew of twenty men about 🜲 20 in labourer and specialist fees, and about two and half months to construct a foresters lodge. Forest officers will need to be hired or appointed to oversee the custodianship of these lodges, joined by a small complement of lesser staff as well. Bows, arrows, skinning knives and quivers will need to be purchased, as well as hounds. If the foresters lodge is intended to serve as a proper noble retreat as well, better furnishings, larger stables, and extra quarters must be built, which would run up to another hundred crowns, potentially. Nothing fancy is required for the gamekeepers themselves.

1663568969204.png

The labour costs for a watchtower run at about ten crowns. One would only take a few weeks, at most, to construct.

Last edited:

• There was much to think about and to address, as Lord Enguerrand ate his breakfast provided for him by a servant of the castle.

"I suspected that such a project would be quite expensive," Lord Enguerrand says to Sir Olbrecht about the possible pathway between the castle and the town. The supposed road would be a great boon to both his forces and the people of Sherfield Town -- in dire straits, the people could be evacuated to the castle quite swiftly if the path were to come to be, compared to the disordered exodus that would likely result now if the people of the town were to attempt fleeing directly to the safety of the castle's keep. However, Lord Enguerrand must consider his coffers. "I still want to pursue the idea to some degree. I cannot spare you at this time; send another man, if one is available and competent, to Midburgh. In the meantime, is there anywhere we can mine for stone ourselves?"

"Also, Tonis, I want your opinion on what we can do with the woodland to the east of Holmfirth. It is sparse, as you know. Would we benefit from a full-fledged forester's lodge or simply sending woodcutters to fell the trees more? And, do you believe this would agitate the Lanidor locals? In totality, would felling some trees in the area help or harm us, and said locals? Leaving the place barren could discourage the presence of game, I'd imagine."

After receiving advice on those two matters, Lord Enguerrand would move onto a talk with Bigge.

"Sir Bigge, we will begin construction of a wooden watchtower where the roads to Taernsby and the castle meet, to keep our eye on the approach from Lord Grann's fief. Your son will be expected to provide laborers and perhaps some silver to cover the labor cost -- I will notify him of that," Lord Enguerrand begins. He knows that his vassals, especially one such as Master Fyrden Bigge, are not very wealthy; he doesn't want to squeeze them of the meagre funds they have available, but some dues must be paid. The tower would benefit the men of Taernsby as much as it would the Lord's retinue.

"On that note, do you have a proposition as to where a second tower could be raised? I trust your judgment. Wherever you think lacks security, if anywhere. Perhaps Porthaewidge...with the recent events, I wouldn't be against bolstering our defenses there, despite the place's near complete envelopment by holdings of the good House Telemar. The same obligations would be expected from my vassals nearby as those expected from your son," the Lord finishes.

"And finally, we are going to have a hunt, and a feast!" Amias proclaims with exaggerated jubilee, much to the joy of his nearby wife, Lady Royse. "We shall begin preperations today. Lord Telemar, my nephew Vargas, and Sir Melstar  will be in attendance. The Masters of my lesser holdings can join us, too. Nothing too fancy, but not meager, either."

With all that said, Amias had two more things to go over.

"Sir Tonis, these various undertakings come with heavy costs. In blatant terms, we need to make some silver; have you any ideas? If you haven't, you'll need to concoct one or two. You've a' nose for the sort," Lord Enguerrand tells his steward, complimenting his business tact while simultaneously asking that he pull silver out of his arse. Anything at all to ease the impact on his treasury from the various things Amias wants to get done in the coming weeks, he will likely jump at the chance.

"And Sir Charibert, please send a few...undistinguished gentlemen to our north. I want to know about how Lord Lanidor's lands are faring. Look at Moyes and Granswold closely, and if possible, figure out what's going on between Lanidor's vassal lords; if anything is going on at all, anyway. Be sure that they are very careful. I do not want to anger Torrek, nor any of his vassals."

After all of that is finally said and done, Amias calls for his eldest son, Sir Amias Enguerrand II. "My boy," Amias regards him lovingly, having him take a seat directly next to him. Though Amias II is surely no longer a boy, he always will be in his father's eye. "It is time for your younger brother to make something of himself, and I believe you will help him greatly in doing so. Take him under your wing and make him your squire," Lord Enguerrand tells his eldest son. It was indeed time for young Amias III to start thinking forwards - the boy had...troubling behavior, lately. Getting into fights, sneaking ale, being unable to be found. Last month Lord Enguerrand had put the whole Lordship on alert for young Amias after he went missing for a full night. He was found, with Mopsy - of course - fishing nearby Caerfyrddin. Locals had fed and sheltered him, but the boy had purposefully evaded detection by Sir Dollas. The smallfolk that had provided for young Amias were fined heavily for not simply informing their Master of his whereabouts immediately - perhaps they thought they could gain favor with the Lord's son, but young Amias didn't even remember their names. Anywhom, Lord Amias needed to rein the boy in, as soon as possible.

With Sir Amias II informed on what his father expected of him, Amias returned to his chambers yet again, to write yet again -- letters to Sir Fyrden Bigge, Lord Lanidor and High Lord Cerham. He would also draft invitations to all of his vassals for the upcoming hunt and feast, though they would not yet be sent out.

Amias always wrote his letters personally, not trusting a scribe to word them how he sees fit.​

Last edited:
Lord Robert II held the letter of the prioress within his hands as walked through the manor. The events unfolding at Justown were of concern as it was possibly one of the first test of the King to see if he had the will or ability to enforce his will and mandates within his realm. Yet, this matter did not pertain directly to Robert. He had no stake or claim involved in this brewing conflict, but he did have interest in how the involved parties would act. No further action was needed in regards to Justown, though he would continue to watch the developments with great interest. For now, he had much to do to prepare his own domain for the coming uncertainty. First, he had to go through with his hunt. It would be a chance for him to meet all his vassals in person for the first time he had become Baron. More importantly, it would provide an opportunity for all the men and particularly the squires to gain experience in a mock campaign of sorts via hunting par force.

As Robert walked through the halls, he bumped into the person he had been seeking. "Judith, excellent. I had hoped to see you. Prepare your belongings. You will accompany me on this hunt." Judith appeared confused as she stood in silence for a second. Before she had a chance to gather her thoughts to reply, Robert spoke "Whatever it is that Father and Mother wished to impose upon you. I will not. If you are passionate for the art of war, then I will encourage you like any of my men at arms. However, I hope you are ready. War is nothing like sparing with an instructor. We leave tomorrow at dawn." Just as suddenly he had bumped into Judith, Robert left. There was much to do and prepare.

Robert summoned Sir Volstaff and said "Sir Volstaff, I see the survey has returned from Meskfirth. Given the availability of tin and some copper in the hills. I believe it would be prudent to open a quarry to begin extraction of those ores and any stone for future construction. Will you see that construction begin in the region?"

---

The following morning, Robert, escorted by Judith, Sir Maynard and Sir Volstaff, left the walls of Berngard with his knights, squires, men at arms, and servants in tow. He had left the care of Berngard to his Mother and Father Caylor. As the men rode their horses on their way to Shaltron, Robert looked over to Sir Volstaff and Sir Maynard and said "Tell me, do you two know much about the lords of Harjaw and Skerry and the history of those lands? They are our closest neighbors, yet there is only one land route into the Barony. I wonder how useful the construction of a wooden keep or a motte and bailey on the borderlands would be... perhaps on the hills on the outskirts of Meskfirth would be strategically advantageous?" as he allowed his sister to listen in to the conversation. War was not glorious nor exciting. Those moments were a mere flash in the pan that came and went instantly. Nay, it mostly was cold and calculating, with much preparation that had to be done before it occurred. Robert hoped that this part of warfare and strategy would help temper his sister's seemingly naive enthusiasm for combat into a more mature and circumspect appreciation for the art. After all, there was a large difference between an avid swordsman fighting a friendly duel or spar and a Knight entrusted to lead men in the chaos of war.

---

Summary:

Construction of a quarry in the hills of Meskfirth to begin mining for ores and stone.

Robert heads off to Shaltron where the Knights of the realm would meet to go on a hunt with his lords, knights, squires, men at arms, and his sister. The hunt is to be par force in order to give the men a challenge and enable them to practice and share various skills that they would need on campaign.

On the way, Robert inquires about the Lords of Harjaw and Skerry and the history of those domains. In addition, he seeks their advice on the wisdom on building a keep or motte and bailey in the western part of the domain as a strategic means of holding down the land bridge into the barony.

• With the afternoon arriving, Galark sat upon his throne in the hall as his wife entered the room he stood up to greet her before the man with the petition entered the room. He was glad to see his wife was much more lively now that the weather was changing. Leaning back in his seat the supposed freeman pleaded his case that his ancestor had paid that price long ago. The whole issue was interesting in his mind though he was taking the word of the man in front of him. "Very well, I shall release you from your Serf status temporarily. I will send someone to obtain these documents and once they are proven authentic, you shall be released as a serf permanently. Until then, you are to return home and remain within your village so that we might send a messenger with the response," he decreed as the man was then escorted out of the great hall. Letting out a sigh Galark would stand up offering his wife his hand and spend the remaining part of the day with his wife.

The next morning he had just eaten breakfast as he returned to the same hall for the daily meeting in which reports were given to him. "Alright lord steward what have you gathered for me today?" Galark inquired as the man told him about the costs of sending his sister away and then the costs of the building projects as well as the Foresters. "Hmmm, well we shall hold off on sending my sister away as I will ask her opinion on the matter. As for the lodges, we have some woods to our north, move the construction sites to the northern woods in our lands, I don't want to upset our neighbors without a just cause. "Ah a fair, well then let us make plans for that instead, lets plan for a yearly fair in the middle of spring then," he concluded before turning to the next advisor he had.

"So what else do we have available in terms of options, I would like to strengthen the royalist cause in the northern territories after this past war we are in due need of a strong crown." Galark concluded as he looked around at the group.

Last edited:

"I shall investigate the matter of this settlement personally." Lord Roth announced to his advisors after some deliberation, believing his direct involvement a necessary duty of his to perform. A blight such as that between Sykes and Abercroft reflected poorly on the earldom's reputation in Carmondy, and could even lead to habitual trespassing and outlawry in it's northern forest if left unchecked.

"Bertram, summon Sir Orndon so that I may speak with him, then send word to Bernadock to prepare my ship ahead of my arrival at the port. You will accompany me until we reach the crossroads, and part ways from me there to see what laborers can be drummed up in Anhur while I negotiate with those of Bernadock and determine if Sir Arenos Connway requires any of my assistance and if Lord-Abbot Kenric can be of some use in my plans before I set sail."

A short while later Edsel departed from the castle, bringing along Father Mulley with his host to signify his peaceful intent should he encounter any trouble with the locals at the unnamed settlement.

It was clear to Lord Roth that the realm was on the brink of another war. If not from Fyrdian discontent, then King Edmund's foes surely conspired to see how far they could challenge the rule of their new liege. He had witnessed the fractures begin to take shape in Valcay, and feared what might come next. Though precious little could be done to ready his people for a conflict not yet openly waged, Edsel had an opportunity to instill in his serfs and vassals a confidence in peace and prosperity he himself no longer felt.

And when the swords returned once more to their sheaths, Sykes' development will be the envy of the kingdom's bellicose aristocracy.

🜲 3844

Retinue​

13x Roth household knights (10x)
• Accompanying Bertram 1x
• Accompanying Lord Roth 2x
30x Roth squires / men-at-arms (27x)
• Accompanying Bertram 3x
25x Roth mounted sergeants (19x)
• Accompanying Lord Roth 6x
45x Roth valots (21x)
• Accompanying Lord Roth 24x

Wooden watchtowers under construction at crossroads, peat quarry, apiary, forester lodges (2x), dry dock, are queued.

1. Offer Sir Orndon Connway payment for the rights to extract peat (and bog iron deposits potentially) from the wetland surrounding his settlement, excess peat not used by his and Lord Roth's holdings will be sold at an affordable fixed rate internally within the earldom (as will any bog iron ore for domestic iron production) for use as fertilizer/fuel. Being low on coin, and possibly amenable to the terms of the offer, he's expected to accept (🜲 -10).

2. Hire carpenters and laborers from Anhur and Bernadock to proceed with peat quarry construction and bog iron survey at Watmarr (if an arrangement can be made with Sir Orndon) or the next projects in the queue (🜲 -10).

3. If Sir Arenos Connway and/or Lord-Abbot Kenric can be found in Bernadock, Lord Roth seeks a brief social visit with them to refamiliarize himself with his vassals and learn of their present situations.

4. Lord Roth sails to the settlement north of Settor from Bernadock aboard his cog to meet with the locals and determine the legal status of the settlement and it's current condition. Seeds of plants known to grow well in sandy soils are stored below decks, most notably lavender.

1662494163169.png

Last edited:

• Sir Tonis scratches his beard. "We may be able to secure the rights to open quarries in the hills east of Hedgton, but we will have to talk to the master there, Lord-Sheriff Daric Graffoth. Alternatively, we could petition Lord Tarren Moyes. As for felling trees east of Holmfirth... those lands are not viewed as being particularly quality hunting grounds. We may be able to get permission from the master of that area for to gather some timber. Removing this brush will let them plant fields in their place, so it seems like a fair deal to me."

Your captain, Sir Bigge nods. "I will have my serfs carry out all the menial labours associated with the project. Regarding the men you plan to send to investigate Lanidor lands... hmm... might I suggest sending those men to Hedgton, to work out the deal Sir Tonis mentioned about the quarries? That way, they have cause to be in our neighbour's lands, and they can simply... take their time getting there." Sir Bigge agrees to begin construction of the watchpost, and says that he will tell his son to send his serfs to work on it. "However, I must speak on behalf of my son, and request that the lord's treasury cover the costs of the project, since it was not his undertaking. Of course, I will still make sure that my lad properly maintains the fortifications, and does all he can to assist otherwise." The knight takes a moment to ponder where a second watchpost might be best erected. "Building any fortification south of the river will anger the Carmon borderlords, even if it is in our own lands," he bitterly mentions. "Perhaps one could be built just east of Holmfirth, to protect our lands from that direction."

There are happy words and light claps from those present as a feast is announced. Fifty gold pieces would provide appropriate food, drink, gifts, and entertainment for your noble guests, if it is a rather small occasion. One to two hundred gold would be sure to attract even more attention, including possibly from wandering knights, adventurers, nearby lords, and other members of the nobility.

A fully-fledged hunt is not very feasible in the plains, which are mostly covered by fields. However, some falconry and leisurely riding could take place.

Sir Tonis suggests prospecting for minerals around the small hills, located to the southwest of Rystreck. It is not officially claimed land, at least to the knowledge of anyone at your household. However, it nonetheless exists in the High Lord Cerham's sphere of influence.

--

Sir Amias takes a knee, and greets his younger brother. He is long since a man grown. "Ah, I fare well!" He tousles the boy's hair, followed by Mopsy's head as the dog licks his arm. "Brother, our lord father has asked that I take you to squire." It was more usual for a boy to be sent away to a family friend, but Amias supposed that in these uncertain times, it was better to stay close to home. "So, do you accept? You'll hunt, ride, put my armour on. I'll show you how to swing a sword, tilt a lance, shoot a bow - everything you need to become another Sir Amias."

• Galark started his day as usual when he arose early in the morning he kissed his wife before getting dressed and heading to the courtyard. He met with the captain of his guard where the two sparred and trained for a few hours before one of the servants informed him that breakfast was ready. He walked to the great hall where the large table was set up as normal and his counselors were all waiting for him as the food was placed on the table.

Walking around to the head of the table and taking his seat he started to eat along with the counselors, this was the normal day before the daily tasks began. With the last semblance of relaxation before the busy day. Upon finishing his food and talking with the men at the table, he wiped his mouth and cleared his throat, "Alright let's begin with the daily reports, show me the expense reports first and we will go from there. That was the moment when his wife entered the hall it was rare for her to attend such meetings as he motioned to the chair to his side that was reserved for her when she attended.

With the revelation of the supposed freeman, Galark ordered the man be brought to his bondlord and give his lord full authority to do as he sees fit with the man outside of killing the man. If the man got violent, then the local lord could do as he saw fit though Galark hoped it would not come to that if it could be helped. Though the whole situation seemed to be off but, if there was no documents for it then there wasn't much he could do about it. He saw himself as the deliverer of the king's law in the north and thus didn't want to break any laws that didn't need to be broken at the moment.

As the costs for the fair were brought to him, he looked through the documents for a few moments. "Alright, well that seems like a good place to hold the fair and the expense doesn't seem to cost all that much. Very well start the preparations and get construction underway I would like to have the fair this year if possible." He ordered as he put the paper aside as the next issue came up but before he could get to that, a messenger was brought into the great hall and informed him of the situation.

Sitting back in his chair he listened to what was said, he glanced over to his wife before looking back at the man. The tidings were grim on this matter, he knew he couldn't let this go as it would signal the crown as weak and so were the northern supporters of the crown. His steward then reminded him of the royal warrant to raise a levy which caused him to let out a sigh before standing up from his chair.

Walking around the back side and stopping at his wife's side he placed one of his hands on top of hers, "Sir Rythan prepare the routine to march keep a token force back here to ensure the security of the lands. The rest will march as soon as we are able. I will have to agree with my wife on this matter I will send a letter to the King so that he is made aware of the situation in the north as I'm sure my wife would like to send a letter to her brother as well," He concluded as he squeezed her hand slightly before walking toward the messenger.

"House Styervrigante will answer the call to aid. We shall march when we are able. Raise the levies, we march for Muldhold. My personal routine shall go ahead, and the rest of the forces shall follow when they are assembled. Steward gather the needed supplies if they need to be purchased then purchase them. Sir Jortan keep an eye on the Duke of Sunwick, if he makes a move I want to know." He ordered before pausing for a moment. "Sir Rythan you will be in charge of the defense of the land while we are away," he concluded.

After that, the meeting was adjourned and Galark started to write his letter to the king informing him of the situation here and that he was raising a force to deal with it and he would send his letter along with the one his wife wrote if she decided to do so.

"Very well, see to it that both a quarry and a mine are constructed in the hills. It would do us good to have a supply of stone even if we do not build a keep in the area. In addition, following the construction of the forester's lodge in Kaspars, see to it that a lumberyard is built there as well so that the forester can mark fully matured trees to be harvested for lumber." Lord Robert replied as the men were making their way to Shaltron.

"Now as for an ideal place to build a potential keep or motte and bailey... perhaps against an inlet would be wise from a tactical perspective. However, the question then becomes is the construction of a keep there worth the cost and time to take on such an endeavor? Does such an large investment make sense from a strategic perspective? Could the coin not be used more wisely elsewhere? Several hundred crowns could retain a modest, but sizeable host of mercenaries, could it not? Would the keep be more useful than the mercenaries?" Lord Robert inquired semi-rhetorically as he sought to see how his advisors would navigate the tricky question and to see how his sister would act in such a situation.

"Frankly, I do not find the position of Skerry and Lord Hothwold to be envious. Not only does he have conflict with his neighbor. The island of Skerry is distant from the mainland holdings of Lord Hothwold. Should an aggressor come from Gwyburgh, Motundr Castle or Fishley... the island would be pillaged and Skerry under siege before word even reaches Lord Hothwold in Rooster Keep." Robert commented. "If I were in his position, it would be tempting to consider outright selling the fief as keeping the island would simply be untenable if conflict arose."

"Lady Anray... if she is the vavasor, then I take it that she did not bear her husband a son? Quite a tragedy. I imagine that the fief will be escheated to the Baron of Swanton once she passes. Though, I do also imagine that she would be quite a popular suitor now to anyone seeking an opportunity. Do any of you know much about the Baron of Swanton?" Robert inquired.

---

At Shaltron, Robert greeted many of his vassals for the first time as their liege. It was an odd feeling to be called Baron or "My Liege". Yet, here he was, the Baron of Berngard. He exchanged pleasantries with his vassals as they took part in refreshments and preparing for the coming chase and baying of the quarry. Some of the more experienced knights and squires seemed to be giving advice and teaching to their younger counter parts. They shared little tips and tricks such as how to hold their weapon while in the midst of a heated chase and other pieces of wisdom that only came from past experiences. This was what he had come to see and made sure happened. The ritual of the hunt was a precious time where knowledge and experience could be passed down to the youth. The Paragon knew that many needed such guidance in the Kingdom after the death of many experienced Knights and soldiers during the failed invasion of Valcay. This little time that he was taking was the best he could do for his own men without throwing them into a feud or an actual conflict. Yet, he prayed that it would serve them well.

Robert found himself giving his sister advice. This would be one of the first times she would be a part of the main hunting party instead of being relegated to a minor role or hunting lesser game via bow and arrow or club. "Now remember, when the quarry is cornered and desperate... only the Paragon knows what it may do. You must remain calm and take measured actions to poke and prod the creature until a clear opening presents itself to be coup de graced. Afterwards, the quarry must be dutifully unmade and harvested so that not one bit of it goes to waste. Finally, do not forget to reward the hounds with the entrails of the quarry."

It was then that the lymer returned, stating that a stag had been found and that they should begin the chase.

---

Cheers erupted among the hunting party as Judith justly ended the stag with her sword. "Lady Stagbane!" one of the knights called out and even Lord Robert could not help chuckle. He approached his sister and said "Lady Stagbane is a suiting moniker. You swiftly ended it and did not prolong its misery. I will have the servants take and prepare a skull mount as a testament to your successful hunt. Perhaps, the name will stick around because of it. Now, do not forget, the stag must be treated properly as it is a majestic creature close to the Paragon. I want you to assist in unmaking the Stag and rewarding the hounds since this is your first stag. There is a reason why hunting is a proud tradition and why ritual is important... it teaches a warrior important lessons."

With that Robert walked away to speak with his vassals to see if there was anything that they wished to discuss or if they had any interesting information or rumors about the Barony and the surrounding fiefs.

---

Summary:

Construction of a quarry and mine in the hills near Meskfirth

Robert continues to question his advisors and his sister about the idea of building a keep near the border to see their insights and their thoughts on Berngard's neighbors

Robert has the skull of the Stag be preserved and mounted as a hunting trophy to celebrate Judith's first Stag

Robert then goes to speak with his vassals to see if there's anything they wish to discuss or have any knowledge or rumors of affairs in the Barony or around it from nearby fiefs

• Amias considers for a long moment his captain's request for him to renege on his expectation that Fyrden pay a part of the labor costs of the construction of the northern sentry. While it is true that it was not Fyrden's undertaking, Lord Amias considered it also to be true that the watchtower would be of great benefit to the place of Taernsby, though he realized this was largely an assumption. Perhaps the tower wouldn't in fact do much for the little hamlet. With all of this in mind, Amias decides to relent, with a heaving sigh.

"Very well, Sir Charibert. I will pay the full price for the watchtower (90g.) Your kin will be responsible for most of its' construction and maintenance, though I will send a few more skilled workers to oversee the serfs' work and ensure things run smoothly. While upon its' completion the watchpost will be manned by members of my retinue, I may in the future seek to have it garrisoned by men of Taernsby."

It comes to no surprise to Amias that his captain discourages the building of a second tower nearby Porthaewidge, across the border. It would, in fact, be quite a provocative move, and Amias was surprised at himself for even suggesting the building of fortifications in what is his land legally, but within the Kingdom of Carmondy overall. Despite one of the closest borderlords being a staunch ally to House Enguerrand for now two generations, and Amias' doubts that good Lord Telemar would protest to the construction, it would still be unwise to cause any quarrel with others.

At the same time, Amias duly noted the bitter tone with which Charibert described the likely feelings those borderlords would have if Amias' laborers were to begin building a watchtower across the river. In the lord's opinion, it was understandable that it would be upsetting, given the recent animosity and bad feelings, even though Amias was pretty public about his positive feelings toward the Carmons -- feelings that still were strong, but quickly seeping of that strength.

"Yes, very well. There is no need to start a spat with any of the Marcher lords across the Avonmark, and I also see the value of a strongpoint east of Holmfirth. Sir Tonis, please dispatch a rider to inform Lord Telemar of this undertaking and have him send his serfs to help do the work - at the same time, he'll ask for the blessing to begin chopping those woodlands we're speaking of. Like near Taernsby, let's have a few carpenters headed to Holmfirth to oversee the construction, or hire some from the village."

Amias again considered his vision of the future being that the watchtowers were manned by men of Taernsby and Holmfirth respectively, after his retinue had taken the first watch of however long, and asked the following of Sir Charibert.

"Do your son or Lord Morran possess the arms of any professional soldiers or have their own retinues? Or would a small levy need to be raised for the towers to be garrisoned by the nearby vassals later on?"

Having already addressed the sending of a man to Holmfirth to ask permission to gather resources nearby, Amias now had to consider where he would ask for the same permissions to gather resources to the north, in the hills north of Moyes and east of Hedgeton. Lord Amias did not deal much with either Lord-Sheriff Graffoc or Lord Moyes - but certainly his first instinct was to petition Lord-Sherrif Graffoc.

It was well-known, at least to Amias and the subjects of Sherfield, that the people of Moyes were untrustworthy and bred of hill savages, and Amias expected Tarren of Moyes to be no different, despite his lordliness.

This prejudice ran deep, but Amias realized that the gathering of the resources was more important than the safeguarding of his people from having to deal with the 'men' of Moyes.

"We will petition the Lord-Sheriff in Hedgeton first, about opening quarries. Depending on what Graffoc would want for the attainment of said rights, we may end up dealing with Lord Moyes afterwards - though I'd frankly rather it didn't come to that. Sir Charibert, your thinking to have our scouting of Lanidor's lands coincide with this business is wise, and I tend to agree. Let's kill the two birds with one stone."

Though the idea for a feast had in its' infancy been just a fancy meeting between Lord Enguerrand and his vassals, upon further consideration Amias saw the value of holding a larger feast. Due to his usually isolationist nature, Lord Amias was in the dark about a great deal of concepts. He knew too little about the situations at hand around the realm for his mind to be at ease.

During usual times, Lord Amias would not be too concerned with not knowing - he didn't need to know, didn't care frankly, about anything other than what's happening here in his lordship, and south in Thorpharth, north in Lanidor and east in Cerham.

But things were far too volatile now. For the same reason he did not want to send his youngest son to be squire in some place such as House Telemar or wherever, Amias now wants to bring the news to him.

As well as in order to gather information, Amias hoped that he could bring some gain to his House in having a larger occasion. Perhaps he could attract new knights to his cause, new adventurers, or maybe even find a noble suitor for Ibba. Thusly, he decides to chuck a whole one-hundred and fifty gold at the feast's preperation - a considerable expenditure, especially considering the less-than-ideal state of his treasury, but one that would hopefully prove worthwhile in the near future.

"This feast will be the talk of all around. Let us raise some eyebrows, shall we? Along with some falconry and horse-riding, we shall have a grand feast! Sir Tonis, I permit you to withdraw one-hundred and fifty gold for those purposes."

Amias smiles when Sir Tonis suggests the prospecting for minerals in the supposedly unclaimed lands southwest of Rystreck, quite far east of Darndon; he knew that Tonis could think of something. While the place was in High Lord Cerham's sphere of influence, whom Amias certaintly sought no problems with, the lord was a bit desperate to replenish his coffers. He felt that there may be great expenditures ahead, and worried that he would end up very poor indeed, for a Lord such as himself anyway. Thus, he would give permission for this undertaking.

"Yes, I'm happy to send prospectors to those wilds. Perhaps we should also send a small detachment of the retinue along with them -- maybe...a dozen men, at Charibert's discretion. I know not what sort of savage lurks in that uninhabited region, and if we're going to send prospectors to find out, we should at least give them a fighting chance. Though, I want it to be a dozen or less men, again, so as to not cause Cerham any undue alarm about a big band of armed men traversing through his lands. Maybe sending a knight along with them would be a good idea, in order to put the minds of those who may be concerned at rest."

Command
- Relent on demands of Sir Bigge of Taernsby regarding the nearby watchtower (90g.)

- Fyrden would remain responsible for the building of the tower and part of its' maintenance, and possibly its' garrisoning in the future.
- Carpenters from either the castle or Sherfield town will be sent to assist in the construction.
- Construction begins with the lord's treasury paying for the whole thing (90g.)
-----
- Begin construction of a second tower east of Holmfirth (90g.)
- The same obligations expected of the Master of Taernsby will belong to the Lord of Holmfirth - laborers, maintenance, and garrisoning in the future.
- Carpenters from either the castle or Sherfield town will be sent to assist in the construction, unless some can be hired in Holmfirth itself.
- Construction begins (90g.)
-----

- Ask about professional soldiers in Taernsby and Holmfirth
- Considering who will be garrisoning the two watchtowers once the transition from the lord's retinue to men of his vassals occurs.
-----

- Petition Lord Telemar of Holmfirth to allow for the cutting down of trees to the east of his village
- This will be done by the same messengers sent to inform the Lord of Holmfirth of the beginning of the nearby tower's construction, and his obligations involving the construction and maintenance of said tower -- sending serfs to work on the project and ensuring the tower doesn't fall apart or otherwise become less effective over time.
-----
- Petition Lord-Sherrif Daric Graffoth of Hedgeton to allow the opening of quarries in the hills to the east of his town
- Alternatively, Lord Moyes might be petitioned shortly after, depending on what demands Graffoth makes for the securing of such rights, whether they are excessive.
- The men headed to Hedgeton will be the same gathering information on Lanidor's lands, as per suggestion by Captain Bigge.
-----

- Fund the feast with a grand total of one-hundred and fifty gold (150g.)
- Amias hopes to gather information, do some networking, and perhaps attract some other forms of gain for his house in doing so.
-----

- Send prospectors to the unclaimed hills southwest of Rystreck.
- Consider sending along a small detachment of the retinue, no more than a dozen men including one knight, along with the prospectors for their safety.

- Expenditures
- Wooden watchtower east of Taernsby, north of Sherfield Castle: 80g + labor 10g
- Wooden watchtower east of Holmfirth: 80g + labor 10g
- Feast preperations - 150g
- Various small costs (paying messengers, carpenters, prospectors, etc.)
- Total listed costs - 330g

Last edited:

House Roth has long envied Justown and Sunwick, their prominence in regional trade, as ports located on the vitally strategic mouths of Carmondy's Northlands River, rivaled and overshadowed his own Bernadock respectively, but Sykes boasted a natural harbor without the imposed constraints of clearance, draft, and tolls on northbound traffic like along the alternative shipping routes. Only custom duties were required of merchantmen, all much the same as any noble's.

And now an opportunity presented itself to surge ahead, if only for a time. While they struggled and waited to gain advantage, and robber barons plot to extort travelers from their stone perches, the holding of Bernadock would become much more desirable as a port of call... "We must not follow their example. The law must be dutifully upheld if the young King Edmund and his realm is to endure what I fear may be an imminent Fyrdian revolt. Act in all uncertain matters justly and discretely as if your every move is under public scrutiny, for Carmon weakness and infighting observed by our enemies now, will multiply our troubles later. To this end Lord-Abbot Kenric shall comb through documents at Merrandy Abbey that may support the earldom's legal claim for the lands north of Settor. Sir Arenos will quietly arrange for Father Mulley's transport to Belstrad Abbey on the next passing ship to ascertain the same, given the clergy's permission. I think it better for House Connway's men-at-arms to be his escort, providing some distance if not pretextual cover from his true intentions for the visit to outsiders. Officially, he will have my leave on Lord Belyn's request to settle a private familial affair deeply concerning my loyal vassal."

Notified of construction at the crossroad outposts completing, Lord Roth sends some mounted sargeants and valots back to Sykes.

Lord Roth soon departed from Sir Arenos' estate after paying his compliments to his host. Boarding his cog shortly after, he briefly scanned the coastline and prepared a letter for Bertram's reading before the voyage began. Uneventful, and rather short to Edsel's restless mind, the vessel docked at the unnamed village that has occupied his attention as of late. Returning to dry land, Lord Roth approaches Garton on his horse as the man cautiously bids him welcome. He stops to reply, addressing him plainly for all to hear. "You may fear no indignities from me," he said, taking mental note of the self-proclaimed protector's mail. Expensive, no doubt, but it may be an heirloom. "Your sense of duty is commendable Garton. Can you tell me the name of this village and it's history? I returned from campaign in Valcay to witness King Agbert II's realm and my late father's lands in a state of disarray. The reason for my presence here is to improve your condition, and in so doing, perhaps my own one day. For now, I only request temporary lodgings for soldiers of my party, so that they may keep the peace alongside you until my return after some business of mine concludes in Abercroft."

Left to fend for itself by his neighboring peer, Lord Roth expected little resistance to his desire for the village. Yet for him to press his claim without negotiation could very well inspire animosity that lasts generations more. Saying his goodbyes once Garton fully satisfies his curiosity and responds to his offer, he rides back to the ship to sail on to Abercroft Castle. Recollecting what he heard of it's ruler recently, Lord Roth seeks an audience. If granted, he leaves the majority of his men in the cog, handpicking a few bodyguards.

🜲 3,758

Retinue
• Accompanying Bertram 1x
• Accompanying Lord Roth 2x
30x Roth squires / men-at-arms (27x)
• Accompanying Bertram 3x
25x Roth mounted sergeants (15x)
• Accompanying Lord Roth 3x
• Potential village garrison 1x.
• Crossroads outposts garrisons 6x
45x Roth valots (7x)
• Accompanying Lord Roth 10x
• Potential village garrison 4x
• Crossroad outposts garrisons 24x

Peat mine under construction (excess labor works on queued projects in the order listed), apiary, forester lodge retreats (2x), dry dock, are queued since turn 1.

Had enough labor to build 3x wooden towers at turn 1, hired enough carpenters and laborers from Bernadock and Anhur on turn 2 to potentially work on another project (beginning with the peat mine) each turn.

Sir Orndon Connway graciously sent serfs to assist with the completion of the peat mine on turn 3.

1. Father Mulley is sent to Belstrad Abbey and Lord-Abbot Kenric searches Merrandy Abbey to seek evidence to strengthen House Roth's ancestral claim to the village north of Settor. Father Mulley is open about his goal to the administrator of Belstrad Abbey, but no one else. He is escorted by three Connway men-at-arms.

2. Lord Roth speaks with Garton, and heads to Abercroft Castle via cog to request an audience with it's ruler to see what it takes to settle their claim in the land ownership dispute that they share.

3. Garton is offered a small temporary garrison for the village if lodgings can be secured (perhaps the old wooden watchtower). Some rations are left with them to keep them from being a burden.

4. Crossroad outpost garrisons, led by Sir Maurice, Lord Roth's appointed Marshall, train Sykes' and Bernadock's levies to replace them whenever they are idle so that they may return to Lord Roth's castle. Deficiencies in their readiness, if not immediately corrected, are identified for further action.

5. Bertram determines if the earldom could benefit from a lighthouse on or off the coast.

1662494163169.png

Wooden tower at each crossroads.

Last edited:

• Many feuds have ignited in the northlands, with the restless nobility beginning to take their disputes with each other a step further. There has been bad blood between many of these families for decades, even centuries. With the royal sheriffdoms in the northerly province being too few and weak to enforce order, it looks like many of these private wars will be waged with impunity. Meanwhile, in the south, there is still a general peace, yet there are rumours that more barons are conspiring against the king directly, but have not yet acted.

There is also news that Byron's Bastion has been attacked. Apparently, the heathen Galds of the Stone Clans had allied with the Deargols, forming a warband to attack the fortress-town. The union of these clans caused the defenders to be outnumbered by the marauders many times over. Most of the town was ransacked and destroyed, though the fort itself managed to hold out until it was relieved by horsemen coming from Slayte. Several hundred barbarians were killed in a charge of lance, and their horde was dispersed.

barbarianmurder.png

Last edited:

• Troubling news came from the mouths of traders along the Avonmark one evening as Lord Amias visited with his cleric and physician, Jennos Enderl. Heralds had brought news from both near and far.

Firstly, it was reported that the situation in Carmondy was deteriorating -- feuding Houses were at one another's throats, taking the chaos as an opportunity to settle old scores. Things were worse in the north than south, as the northlands of Carmondy were largely composed of self-governing demesnes, as royal holdings in that province were all but powerless to maintain order; though rumor had it that things were brewing in the south as well. Combined with Fyrdian dissent, Lord Amias saw that things were reaching a breaking point - with the Carmons busy fighting one another, sooner than later one Fyrdian lord or another would seek to rally his neighbors to take advantage.

Secondly, there came news of a battle at Byron's Bastion. Lord Amias knew little of the place - only that it was a fortress town meant to keep the barbarians at bay. An alliance between tribes of primitives had coalesced into a mighty throng of warriors, which had descended upon the fortress-town. While the town had been largely decimated, the garrison had managed to hold out against the savage assault until relief arrived via a host of cavalry originating from nearby Slayte. Lord Amias, his wife Royse, and Jennos all prayed together for a long time for the salvation of those victims of the Sacking of Byron's Bastion. While the clans had attacked the fortress before, many times, never before had Amias heard of an alliance between two clans, and he feared that such unity between the savages could spell further trouble for the realm of Fyrdos. Though he was not too concerned, as those events occurred on the other side of the vassal kingdom from his own lordship. That, and from the sound of it, the riders from Slayte had given the Stone-Deargol faction what for, and they won't be able to make any other actions anytime soon.

Amias decides that the garrisoning of the Taernsby/Castle outpost will permanently be the duty of his own retinue rather than levies and asks Captain Bigge to deploy them. He figures that no more than eight men will be needed, as the watchpost's primary function is to act as an early warning, however, cedes that Bigge knows best of military matters and lets him have his way with the assigning of a garrison there, including the size and composition of it.

Though at Holmfirth, Amias decides that Lord Telamar's retinue will man the post. As far as tolls go, Amias allows it, but it must not be severe. Amias would rather help with the upkeep than have Lord Morran charging travellers an extortionate amount in order to maintain the sentry.

Lord Amias pays Lord Morran his ten gold, and establishes a lumber yard there, if need be. Otherwise, he simply sends woodcutters to cut and serfs to haul the material.

Lord Amias pays Lord-Sheriff Graffoth his seventy-five gold, but before ordering for the building of any infrastructure there, consults with Sir Tonis with the aim to understand how best the resources there would be exploited. A quarry, a couple of quarries, a mine? And if the resources were used sparingly, could a series of guide stones and cairns be laid along the most efficient path between the castle and the town, as a precursor to the idea for a stone footpath previously discussed.

The news of toll-taking at Moyes and Granswold is concerning. Amias decides that he had best inform Lord Lanidor of his vassals' transgressions. This time, he sends the messengers with some gold to cover the cost of the toll that will assumingly be taken at Granswold, as well as reimburses the first messengers for the tolls taken on their way both to and from Hedgeton. He hopes that Lord Grann is not incensed to take action due to the repeated travelling through his land of Amias' dignitaries, including assumption of their purpose this time around, though believes that if he does act in such frivolous of a manner it could be handled. Of course, the men sent to inform Lord Lanidor of this toll-taking would not mention that the ones who had been tolled were spying on his lands.

The day of the feast is coming fast. All of his vassals, save for Sir Melstar, bailiff of Porthaewidge, would be in attendance, as well as the respected mayor of Sherfield. Further, three wandering knights would be in attendance, as well as good Lord Thorpe and the Lord of Chepsworth. Lord Amias had hoped to receive High Lord Cerham and Lord Lanidor as well, but at least one of Lanidor's vassal lords would be in attendance.

Lord Amias wonders what business prevents Sir Melstar's attendance and asks that he elaborate further through correspondence. It must be of some importance if the bailiff is willing to forego such an occasion.

On the day of the feast, Lord Amias swells with pride at the bustling of his castle and lordship as a whole. People from all over the lordship had come to attend - of course, commoners wouldn't be allowed into the feast hall, but celebrations were held all throughout, as well as bouts of jousting between the errant knights, and Lord Amias' own chivalry, along with the falconry and horse riding previously planned. Amias would greet his guests and would provide them with luxurious gifts, spending a considerable amount on them, the most impressive of which would go to Lord Thorpe. Once all were seated and the feast proper had begun, Lord Amias had this to say.

"My sincerest thanks to all those who made the journey to attend these wonderful celebrations! You are all very esteemed and well-respected, and it is an honor to have you all join me today, and tomorrow. We live in uncertain times, and I for one feel as though the best way, perhaps the only way, we can make our futures more certain would be cooperation. Casting aside differences of yesteryear and focusing on the present and the future. And what better way to solidify friendship and cooperation, than with merriment and indulgence? So indulge, my friends! Set aside your worries and your grievances, if only for just a couple days, and celebrate! For though there is much to lament in these troubled times, there is always much to praise!"

As the occasion settled into full swing, Amias would go around and converse with each notable guest personally. He would ask each of his vassals about any news or goings-on in their neck of the woods and allow them the opportunity to petition their lord if need be. He would then do the same with lords Thorpe and Chepsworth, emphasizing the fostering of good feelings which he had begun doing with his opening address - they already existed with Lord Thorpe, but having a friend in the Lord of Chepsworth would also be beneficial. When it comes to Lord Chepsworth in particular, Lord Amias would pry ever so gently about what's going on between himself and lords of Granswold and Moyes, and also ask him how Lord Lanidor himself fares. Also with the two attending neighboring lords, his vassals and the errant knights, and any other that happen to be in an unannounced attendance, Lord Amias would discuss the recent news of feuds in the northlands and the fight at Byron's Bastion. Finally, Lord Amias would ask the wandering knights of their names, and request that they regale him with some stories of their experiences and suggest that he would be interested in enfeoffing them with some land in his lordship if they were to give him their swords.

Last edited:

"So be it. An armed man's presence must gladden them then if the scales are so burdened by five. Make sure of that for me." He said, leaving a sergeant behind to protect and assess the village.

Later arriving at Castle Abercroft, Edsel is let inside and ushered to it's audience chamber. Lord Rolston had died, perhaps in Valcay, he soon realized, leaving his son Kelton to inherit his title.

A pity.

Directed to speak with the boy's chancellor, Edsel patiently waited for the servant to get up to speed and formulate a response.

The requested sum appeared a flashing sword to hide a plunging dagger. Neither price suited such a place, and perhaps that was the point, yet now Edsel had an inkling of his opponent's truest desire.

"I intend to build forester lodge retreats, one to the north, and one to the south, of my holding of Bernadock. Your lord-master could be granted an irrevocable license, a right for him and his heirs to hunt any game that is to his liking as an honored guest. When duty keeps him from the wood, it can become a boon awarded to his lessers as he sees fit, and enjoyed by them in his stead. Thusly, Lord Abercroft will pay nary a crown for his outings, yet reap all benefit his control would garner. Of course, we should discuss terms to prevent abuses from either party if this deal is found agreeable... But I foresee little difficulty in that respect." Lord Sykes delivered his counterproposal.

The boy was of riding age. To have the coastline's ancient forests as his hunting grounds would prove invaluable to his tutelage, and it's value as a gift to his vassals, as well as a means for his court to meet with Edsel's own, is an arrangement most advantageous indeed.

Besides, if the neighboring barony had a stake in preserving Edsel's lands, poaching of the venison and encroachment on the vert might come to an end. Though he himself had never heard of such blatant trespasses during his childhood, a treasure unguarded invited evil.

"You may take some time to consider. Rejection will cause no insult." Whether or not the chancellor agreed to his offer, he'd return to the village, either garrisoning it with the force he had originally intended, or bringing his sergeant back aboard for the journey home to Sykes, where he would make preparations for one of his household knights to sail to Abercroft Castle once his ship returns to port from abroad if he successfully came to an agreement with the chancellor.

🜲 3,559

Retinue
• Serving Lord Kelton 1x
• Accompanying Bertram 2x
30x Roth squires / men-at-arms (20x)
• Accompanying Bertram 10x
25x Roth mounted sergeants (12x)
• Potential village garrison 1x
• Crossroads outposts garrisons 6x
• Accompanying Bertram 6x
45x Roth valots (17x)
• Potential village garrison 4x
• Crossroad outposts garrisons 24x

Peat mine under construction (excess labor works on queued projects in the order listed), apiary, forester lodge retreats (2x), dry dock, are queued since turn 1.

Had enough labor to build 3x wooden towers at turn 1, hired enough carpenters and laborers from Bernadock and Anhur on turn 2 to potentially work on another project (beginning with the peat mine) each turn.

Sir Orndon Connway graciously sent serfs to assist with the completion of the peat mine on turn 3.

1) Lord Edsel finishes speaking with Garton and talks with Lord Kelton's chancellor. On his way back to Bernadock, regardless of outcome, he offers the villagers passage to the town, and steady employment as laborers for ongoing construction projects. If the village is brought into the earldom, taxes are not collected yet.

2) Bertram is sent to Southern Carmondy with the cog to purchase luxury imports not available in Northern Carmondy to trade with Sykes itself, Abercroft, Belstrad, and Stirgred. Spices (including sugar and pepper) and wine especially. With any luck, his steward's wits and potential trade disruptions along the Northlands River could see an appreciable return on investment. If possible without any great inconvenience, they aim to do business in King Edmund's ports. A portion of the wine is to be set aside in Lord Edsel's cellar for later use (🜲 -400).

3) Lord Edsel speaks with Sir Murrey to prepare levies from Sykes and Bernadock to take over the responsibilities of the crossroad outpost garrisons. In exchange for performing this duty, they are to be appropriately compensated.

1662494163169.png

Wooden tower at each crossroads.

Last edited:

• Galark looks to his steward as he mentions the two knights. "Very well we will send to knights to deliver the letters, send them at once. There is little time for delay, though I'm not sure what will happen afterward." Galark commanded as he looked at the reports for the current numbers levied. When Hofrey Tallard arrives to offer his services Galark accepts his offer to act as the commander for the levies raised in Hippoward.

With the summons being sent out he looks over the map and starts to look for the quickest route for when the army starts to move, deciding to wait five days before they would begin the march to give the surrounding hamlets and villages time to gather their levies. As stated before he would leave a small token force to ensure order remains in the region while he is away.

"Send two mounted sergeants two days ahead of time to scout ahead. They can meet up close to where we are meeting with the other forces. I don't want any surprises," He commanded before ending the meetings for the day pending any important events that pop up.

"Paragon damn the foolish Lord Bomric." Robert muttered as he read the reports. He looked up at the messenger from the King and said "Send word back that I am able and willing to loan one thousand crowns as recent matters have made stability in the Marchlands... tenuous." He then dismissed the messenger before he looked at his Uncle's man who was guided to a seat. "I will answer my Uncle's call. You will stay here and guide us to meet with my Uncle." He then looked at his vassals and said "I will call upon you and all my knights and Lords to raise their banners and join me. There is no need to raise a levy. Rather, I seek a largely mounted force that is quick and agile. If Lord Bomric wishes to harry the lands of my Uncle and his neighbors and friends, then we will show him what a proper chevauchée looks like in return."

Robert looked at Sir Maynard and said "Sir Maynard, you will join me. Prepare all the men in retinue to set out except for 4 Rangers and the valots. Sir Moftan Volstaff, you will stay here and advise my sister and mother as they will stay in my absence. Work with Lady Judith to determine an ideal place to build a motte and bailey castle on the border lands to the west. While the grounds may be flat, my sister is correct. There are many inlets in the area that could serve as an advantageous location to hold. You have my blessings to begin construction once a location is found and to make a reasonable deal with Lady Anray of Harjaw to have access to her woods for lumber. In addition, look into bringing more men into my retinue if you believe we will need more men to properly defend the Barony. Finally, send word to all my vassals who are not here and inform them of the situation and that I call upon them to answer my call. We will set off immediately from here and head to Aldwyn via my ships while those who arrive later will have to wait for the ships to return before being ferried over. Speed will be a decisive factor in this conflict. The quicker that we can bloody Lord Bomric's nose in a rapid and decisive manner, the quicker he will realize his folly."

---

Summary:

1. Robert offers to loan the King one thousand crowns due to the sudden escalation in conflict in the Marchlands

2. Robert answers his Uncle's call and summons his vassals to Berngard. He plans to largely field a mounted host so that they could focus on chevauchée and raids. His ships will ferry all the men over to Aldwyn to join his Uncle's host.

3. Lady Judith and Adelaide are left in charge of the demense with Sir Moftan as an advisor and 4 Mounted Rangers and all the valots.

4. Lady Judith and Sir Moftan are tasked with finding a suitable place to build a motte and bailey castle near the western border and begin construction. They are given the liberty to make a reasonable deal with Lady Anray of Harjaw to gain access to her forest for lumber and to begin using the stone from the nearby quarry for the project.

• Your bailiff, Sir Melstar, gave a complaint of being ailed by saddle sores as his reason for not attending the feast.

Guests arrive throughout the day. Eventually, the feast at Sherfield Castle begins in earnest. Bread is broken, and mead and wine flows. People laugh, sing and recite poetry.

An errant minstrel ( Croike Croike ) strings a harp, and the crowds lining the long trestle tables all quiet themselves, for to better hear his voice.

"With lightning as herald
    The voice of thunder calls my name
    From cloud on high raindrops, my attendants
    For I am tempest
    Monarch of Sky!

Loyal criers my howling gales
    To bring my message
    From western shore
    And eastern dell.

All do me homage, For tis I
    And my Court in the Sky
    That brings forth life

For those whom do not fly."

1667444935821.png

"I must say, very fine festivities here today, Amias," compliments Lord Thorpe. Though, there is a certain uneasiness to the Carmon borderlord. You are old friends, but still... with the tenuous situation between the two realms, this may be the last time you two meet as allies. Some of his vassals from House Eacciw, relatives of your wife, have also appeared at the feast.

Lord Telemar raises a toast. "To Lord Amias, our most gracious host!"

"To Lord Amias!"

Laughter and cheering abounds.

But then, things seem to take a darker turn. The tourney reeve enters the great hall and leans in for a whisper... He reports to you that a young man-at-arms of noble birth from Darndon was accidentally slain during one of the melees that were taking place just outside the castle, at the old arena grounds. "A blunt sword swung with great force ended up breaking his skull - many are already saying that this is a bad omen for the coming days.. There is the matter of the fighter who killed him, my lord... this man was a sergeant owing sword-service to Sir Greydan Eacciw." Your Carmon brother-in-law. "Many guests have blamed him for the death..."

Already, it seems that an ill omen has arrived.

deadknight.png

Last edited:
"Gramercy, Lord Thorpe, I did my best for you all," Lord Amias would reply to the borderlord with a smile. He would have a marked, though minor, sorrowful expression behind his joyful politeness as he said so. Old Amias pained at the stand-offish nature of Lord Thorpe; he, likely foolishly, couldn't believe that the situation could come to such serious blows that he may have to turn on his kin and old friends.

He reassured himself by rationalizing that even if it did come to war, it would surely be a quite short one. Could he and his countrymen put up enough of a fight for anything else?

Being on the border could prove to be disadvantageous to his health. But this was the die Amias' grandfather Bertram had cast; these were Amias' ancestral lands.

He would live and die here.

--
Enguerrand would feign embarrassment in jest as the lord of Holmfirth lauded him. As the toast finished, his face would twist into a wide grin directed at Morran, followed by joining the laughing and cheering of all others. "My Lord, and my loved nephew, thank you. I thank you verily," he shouts to his nephew-in-law over the noisy aftermath of Telamar's toasting. He would purposefully omit the 'in-law'; kin was kin, by blood or by marriage.
--
The joyous occasion would abruptly sour as the servant officiating the celebratory clashes outside entered the hall. Lord Amias would do his best to veil his reaction to word of a noble from Darndon's accidental death at the hands of a Carmon soldier; in no other than Amias' own home. He would swiftly dismiss the reeve with a curt nod and thank you, and then return half of his attentions back to the feast, while the latter half pondered the dilemma.

Once some few minutes had passed, Amias would catch the attention of his advisors; Tonis, Charibert and Jennos. The four of them would excuse themselves from the festivities and move to a more private place while promising to return soon. Although this act would surely draw great attention, the host excusing himself from his own feast, the urgency of the matter superseded any efforts to save face.

--
Once in a more secluded area, Amias would explain the situation to his confidants. "An armsman from Darndon has been inadvertently slain by a retainer of my in-law, Greydan, during one of the melees. It is a...frightening occurrence. People are saying it could prophesize times to come; that is, that it is a bad omen. I...am not a particularly superstitious man, but what people believe has a habit of eventually coming true," Amias began.

He would add his immediate thoughts on the matter before seeking the opinions of the others. "The dead man was of noble birth, and his House will certainly require reparation of some form or another. Many guests have blamed the death on Eacciw's retainer, though it was seemingly an accident, therefore I struggle to place blame anywhere. I fear that if we hesitate and try to collect more information or consult the lords of the parties involved, our chance to do anything about it will quickly evaporate. I see two immediate options; seize the sergeant from Kitchhol, or attempt to play the incident off as a tragedy and mistake. I fear both of those strategies would incite anger, maybe even violence."

Lord Amias would finish his tirade with a grim tone. "No matter what we do, this could easily be construed as cause for war by Lord Cerham, especially if we do not act. If we do, it could similarly put my...brother-in-law, and his betters, onto a war footing." Again, the reality that Lord Enguerrand may shortly need to battle his old allies across the border gnawed at him.

"What say you three on the matter?"

Note: 'Character-level' scene, macro progression of time halted

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back