• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic Expanse

Mitheral

"Growf!"
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
In the 24th century, humans have colonized the solar system.
The U.N. controls Earth.
Mars is an independent military power.
The inner planets depend on the resources of the asteroid belt.
Belters live and work in space. In the Belt, air and water are more precious than gold.

For decades, tensions have been rising - Earth, Mars and the Belt are now on the brink of war. All it will take is a single spark …

This is an RP partly based on the TV series, Expanse. No I haven’t seen anything but the first season. I just like the basic concepts of an interplanetary setting. I am going to use a Timeline I found online - but after the year 2339 everything changes. (IE no protomolecule stuff, alien tech, no Eros Incident, etc.) But the RP is set to start in the year 2350.

The Expanse

Technology
The main drive in use is called the Epstein Drive developed in 2202. It is a very efficient fusion engine. Dr Epstein was lost during the first test of the prototype, but left the plans to his wife - which she sold to Mars.

Weapons are pretty much what we have today, with advances in projectiles and biometric security. Man portable rail guns are available for use with powered armor, but very uncommon as they are not exactly spaceship friendly.

Cryogenic suspension has been developed, but is generally reserved for medical emergencies or prisons.

As unrealistic as it is, Expanse avoided transhumanization and cyberpunk. I am going to work with this though. No cyborgs.

Politics
There are three main political entities. UN (Earth), Mars, and OPA (Outer Planets Alliance). OPA is viewed by the other two as terrorists. The Belters regard them as a sociopolitical movement.

Belter Creole (aka lang belta)
As a creole language, lang Belta is primarily derived from English, with influences and contributions from languages such as German, Chinese, Romance languages, Hindi, Slavic, and Bantu.
Belter Creole
NO, I don’t expect you to learn this language. The link is just in case you are interested. (I am a former linguist. So, you know, to me it is cool.)

RP Setting and Plot
JJ Braxton is an independent asteroid miner who come in from time to time to Pallas Station, on the second largest asteroid and one of the oldest refining stations in the Belt. His ship is of a very old design. He is constantly asking about parts, but can somehow keep the things space worthy.

Pallas recently had a revolt over water shortages. Braxton showed up selling ice at a low ball price (slightly above taxes by Earth) - on credit with a very low interest rate. This has placed him under a watch by all three political entities. OPA wants to wrest control of Pallas from Earth. Earth (and Mars) want to know where he got the water. He is also know to do business at Eros, which is the belter equivalent of Las Vegas.

Characters
I plan to run JJ Braxton. He appears to be in his mid to late 20’s, stands 6’7” tall
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_rsdqufw36s8/TUcs85lqRjI/AAAAAAAAGeo/VUytwaaCOME/s1600/Henry_Cavill.jpg

Braxton is a very private man. His crew never leaves his ship and appears to be all female though always in Gen 6 vacc suits. 6th generation vacc suits are skin tight and pretty much the civilian standard for those not working in hazardous environments - like actually mining - or combat. Still, it is sort of creepy. What sort of crew never leaves the ship? His other usual purchases are information: news, technical journals and announcements. He always tips well. And the fact that he sells so cheaply leaves him generally unbothers by local crime as it might mean a death sentence for them.

His origins are completely unknown. In fact, there is a very good chance his name is an alias. He seems to try to avoid the law. And he can smell the a mile away. (His claim - and the sort of claim one who had lived on a planet might use.)

He is incredibly strong even for his size (also an indication of a planetary birth). Some think he might be a UN agent working undercover. (He isn’t.) But if he is, then he can withstand far greater accelerations in space battles than a colonist or belter.

Yes, you will need a CS with photo for the character (visible face). (Hide any animated gifs please.)

Note: I will entertain the notion of this as a 1x1 - but only one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back