• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Grey

Dialectical Hermeticist
This RP will be for 3-5 players, a group of outcasts, pirates, heretic priests, and mutants.
The system is easy enough to learn, a dice-pool system that's easy to use but has mechanical depth if you want to engage with it.
No prior experience with this game or dice games required. All skill levels welcome.
One post a week is ideal, once a month is acceptable.
No set post length - just post what you feel is necessary to move things along.
Full rules and setting at this link with Chapter 9 being most relevant for this part of the setting.
You only need to read that much and the rules chapter at most, and I am happy to assist with the mechanical side of the character in full.

==============

The world is a Dream, the priests say, born from the slumbering Godhead. It has a hierarchy, they say, where one's place is graven upon the very soul. It is just, they say, and proper.
You don't buy that part anymore. The priests set themselves up to rule Radiant Pearl and the roving clans of the Wildlands, and control the lives of everyone underneath them. Or worse, declare some Outcaste, claiming them have souls so impure they must be shunned, and their children shunned, and their children's children until the Godhead awakens and the Dream ends.
And so you - Outcaste or heretic, mutant or criminal - have fled the great city of Radiant Pearl for the lawless islands of the Sleeping Sea.
There are few ways to live out here, as the islands are filled with strangeness and danger, with little room to farm but plenty to hunt.
But there is an island; Uassan, meaning 'exile' in the Low Speech. A place for the outcast and downtrodden. An abode of pirates, for one sure way to guarantee not merely a living, but a good life, is to plunder the ships of former kinfolk and the Palemen of the north alike.

You have the freedom of the high seas, and the burden of your past - who knows what the future will bring? Surely Radiant Pearl and her priesthood will not brook this defiance long...

Crucible dark age you say. Can’t really drag Seska into this but I look forward to coming up with something!

Nice.

Pretty much any background is acceptable, including renegade or schismatic priests, Magi, and on request perhaps even weirder stuff.
I'd rather avoid a split party from the start so any Northerner characters ought to be trying to assimilate or otherwise somewhat divorced from their homelands

Reading rules as I go and toy with concepts. Where would one starts as a Magi in this game?

Reading rules as I go and toy with concepts. Where would one starts as a Magi in this game?

They can crop up almost anywhere but it'll be easiest here if they're a child of the Outcaste community on the islands/
You'll want to look over the magic chapter - which may be due a rewrite but is still functional.

Was starting to poke at it. Animations seemed fun. I've been dying to play someone that makes life-sized puppet minions.

Ah, I was aiming for the crafted servants angle but a necromancer is viable too.

Ah, reading more, I see why you'd suggest Necromancy. Looks like a fun approach.

Constructed minions can work with several Patterns, but Necromancy was the easiest fit.

Just as well, I love the idea of a smooth talking necromancer coaxing the dead into working for him via reanimation or constructed frames.

I will try and adapt my spirit witch into your world. I will try to make it more elemental/natural to distinguish her from crocodile.

I will try and adapt my spirit witch into your world. I will try to make it more elemental/natural to distinguish her from crocodile.

Easily adapted, very easily. In this setting, they'd be a priest.
Take a look over the local religion in the document and get back to me about potential spirit patrons.

Oh, I tried to run this years ago and Frixz made an ascetic heretic who amputated parts of themselves - that's what I was referring to.

Are grave goods/burnt offerings a thing? Asking for ways to compensate the services of the dead and that just occurred to me if I wanted to eventually build up enough power to have a whole ghost ship.

Last edited:
Are grave goods/burnt offerings a thing? Asking for ways to compensate the services of the dead and that just occurred to me if I wanted to eventually build up enough power to have a whole ghost ship.

Yes, they can be. Although as a Necromancer you'd be able to offer other recompense like granting temporary corporeality so they eat and drink and otherwise briefly enjoy the pleasures of the living.

Sounds fun, definitely the sort of thing I could establish contracts with. So I could mold my own school of necromancy like this? Like the Code of the Dead Seas?

An actual School would be difficult without access to some Magocracy texts or, even better, the ghost of a Necromancer, but it's a good character moitivation.

So where would one pick up necromancy in this region for the setting? Piecing together a backstory like for someone born of northern stock that came to live in the area but just looking to get more details.

So where would one pick up necromancy in this region for the setting? Piecing together a backstory like for someone born of northern stock that came to live in the area but just looking to get more details.

You're born with your magic and it manifests from a very young age - your character might have started seeing and communicating with the ghosts of their grandparents while stil a toddler, for example.
Good reason for a family to flee to a new little colony on a distant island where the Inqusition might not bother them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back