• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice [Exalted] O Brave New World (OOC)

Main
Here
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Not a bad thing to do when you can't make up your mind.

Incidentally, at the outset I was concerned about the opposite problem to the one I find myself with now. I expected you all to be handing each other Solar/Lunar XP as fast as you could get away with it, and I was worried paired PCs would be biased towards each other and Atusa would be left behind. As it turns out, you didn't want to give each other any XP, and I need to be much more focused on making up the shortfall.

I'll either need to abandon my experiment in XP distribution and go to something more traditional, add a new supplementary mechanic for distributing Solar/Lunar XP, or get much better at ensuring every other scene or so has a compel-worthy complication.

I for one don't feel as comfortable as a player pointing out what I feel would be Solar/Lunar xp worthy to get for the other players in the game. I feel that the xp awards are the bailiwick of the Storyteller. That is why I have not been more proactive in saying, "Hey, that players needs X amount of points!"

I concur with Sherwood. It's a new framework for us, on top of not wanting to be excessively greedy or abusive of the system.

I don't mind the experiment. I just think it's a change in perspective and responsibility that will take a bit of getting used to. If you're willing to be patient and remind us every now and again to be mindful of flags and compels we'll eventually get the hang of it.

As for current IC events I'll have John go find the girl when time permits for a proper post. I can't imagine she's extremely far away if we can both hear her and determine she's very short of breath.

As for status of the move, I've got a technician scheduled to be at the new place to make sure proper internet is good to go rather than only my phone having service. So hopefully I'll be caught up by the end of the week.

I feel that the xp awards are the bailiwick of the Storyteller.
Valuable feedback! It's a difference of philosophy, I think. Some games place the ST on a pedestal and say they're in charge, dictating the story. Other games put the players in charge of telling a story through their characters, and the ST serves as a facilitator. They make the game the players are playing together run smoothly. In the latter case the criteria for, 'Does this deserve Solar/Lunar XP?' is easy: If it makes the game more fun for you as a player (usually by making the story you're telling better), it deserves XP. If you feel like you're giving out too much XP and it's reducing your fun, give out less! If you feel like you're not giving out enough, and you'd have more fun with more XP flowing around, make opportunities to give out more!

It is a big shift in philosophy, though, so I understand it's weird. It depends on the kinds of games you're used to playing. Ultimately we're here to play a game and maximize fun, and if it turns out you'll have more fun if XP is just handed out at regular intervals we'll do that instead.

Thank you. I'm glad that there were no ruffled feathers for our feedback. Perhaps it is an idea that can be brought up at a later time? Who knows. Until then, though, I'll continue to enjoy playing Renna.

Difficulty for what? The Awareness roll is an opposed roll against a pool, so it's not a fixed difficulty. There is a -3 penalty to the Awareness roll from the darkness and dense jungle, but you may have Charms or other assorted goodies that negate some or all of that.

Difficulty for what? The Awareness roll is an opposed roll against a pool, so it's not a fixed difficulty. There is a -3 penalty to the Awareness roll from the darkness and dense jungle, but you may have Charms or other assorted goodies that negate some or all of that.

I do indeed! Kitty totem with night eyes. Got charms for darkness. But it probably would not be fair for me to use that since I know its coming.

Charms are not conscious choices! Doubly so for Awareness Charms. They're mechanical expressions of your legend, not real things you flip on and off in your head. You don't need to in character know in advance danger is coming, your legendary sensory prowess and quick wits just always spot the danger in the nick of time, and in game we represent that with a Charm.

Plus, you're searching for someone in a dark jungle. Even if it were a switch, like changing forms, you have plausible reasons to do it.

Might be a wait for my next post. Just feeling REALLY exhausted/burnt-out right now.

No, but I have plans to fix that. Going to get out of the apartment and go somewhere fun to relax. It turns out non-US citizens can't return to the US right now if they visit any of a long list of countries, even if they're vaccinated, so I'll take the train across the country instead. Next post for Hazel & John is short, but for Atusa and Renna & Morrolan they're sizable. I haven't been in the mood for writing lately.

No, but I have plans to fix that. Going to get out of the apartment and go somewhere fun to relax. It turns out non-US citizens can't return to the US right now if they visit any of a long list of countries, even if they're vaccinated, so I'll take the train across the country instead. Next post for Hazel & John is short, but for Atusa and Renna & Morrolan they're sizable. I haven't been in the mood for writing lately.
I think I know the feeling. Take care of yourself, you hear me? Your Nomarch commands it.

Indeed. Your mental health is more important than us getting a post.

Alright, I am back home, feeling much better, and have some free time again. I will return to my irregularly scheduled program in the next few days.

What sort of story would you like to have? I'm sure we can shoehorn just about anything in here.
I have to admit, part of me currently likes the idea of going to war with the Court of Bleached Bone, with the friction between the Fayum siblings being a complication.

In all honesty though, I'm not exactly the biggest fan of Atusa in her current state. I think that with the benefit of hindsight, if I wanted her to be an independent ruler, we should probably have had her start off that way.

Okay, I can see maybe four approaches that immediately present themselves:
  1. We downplay the succession crisis. Chumiren wins decisively, nipping the civil war in the bud before it begins. Atusa leads a crusade against the Court of Bleached Bone and fights a lot of lions riding dinosaurs. This doesn't immediately solve the independence problem, but a victorious warlord returning to seize the throne is such an obvious threat Chumiren is already trying to mitigate it.
  2. Atusa chooses now as/we skip to the moment when she declares independence from the Fayum. She's a Solar, what are they going to do about it? If she throws her weight around socially she can likely peacefully assert her independence, or she could fight a war for it. We could skip to a point where the civil war is in full swing to make independence easier.
  3. We retcon the feudal structure of Faqari society - Atusa is and always was an absolute monarch with no power sharing. We start a new story that better fits that context, and consider what's come before a world-building exercise in alternate history.
  4. We skip to when the Hematti change from nomadic to settled, which naturally will cause them to become independent of the Fayum regardless of what else is going on. The nomadic tribes by tradition don't mess with the settled tribes - they've got most of the water, and their settlements are heavily fortified, so besieging them is usually out of the question.

Last edited:
I'm pondering my IC post now. I should have something up later today once I get my eight year old from school and get her started on her homework.

Okay, I can see maybe four approaches that immediately present themselves:
  1. We downplay the succession crisis. Chumiren wins decisively, nipping the civil war in the bud before it begins. Atusa leads a crusade against the Court of Bleached Bone and fights a lot of lions riding dinosaurs. This doesn't immediately solve the independence problem, but a victorious warlord returning to seize the throne is such an obvious threat Chumiren is already trying to mitigate it.
  2. Atusa chooses now as/we skip to the moment when she declares independence from the Fayum. She's a Solar, what are they going to do about it? If she throws her weight around socially she can likely peacefully assert her independence, or she could fight a war for it. We could skip to a point where the civil war is in full swing to make independence easier.
  3. We retcon the feudal structure of Faqari society - Atusa is and always was an absolute monarch with no power sharing. We start a new story that better fits that context, and consider what's come before a world-building exercise in alternate history.
  4. We skip to when the Hematti change from nomadic to settled, which naturally will cause them to become independent of the Fayum regardless of what else is going on. The nomadic tribes by tradition don't mess with the settled tribes - they've got most of the water, and their settlements are heavily fortified, so besieging them is usually out of the question.

So I've kinda been procrastinating over this, I admit, but I think I've come up with an idea on what to do. Namely, I'm thinking of going with 4, but skipping to after they've been settled long enough to become at least somewhat used to it, with me spending experience on Atusa's Influence and Resources Merits to reflect this new state of affairs. Simply because I don't know if I want to RP out the whole societal change thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back