• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice [Exalted] O Brave New World (OOC)

Main
Here
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Just glad everyone's alright. Been a lot of covid cases with others I know as well. I hope both of you will be back to 100% soon.

Well, let's see. Almost all of the characters are done. Atusa has half her Charms and no Intimacies, but who needs those, really? Renna, Morrolan, and Hazel don't have any Flags, so for the first two I'm going to assume a standing Flag of, 'I want to be hired to hit something scary until it stops moving' and for Hazel I'll assume standing Flags of, "Whatever John wants *sighs dreamily*" (Actually it turns out Hazel doesn't even have any Intimacies for John, so maybe not) and "Meet Atusa".

So all that's left really is for our three different groups to decide what exciting events will befall them, and what their Goal is. You don't have to pick one of the options I tossed out, you can suggest your own, or be like, 'Those are neat, but I really want something focused on this.' I try to make sure the ideas I toss out are amenable to satisfying as many of your Flags as possible, but I won't always get it right, so it's always okay to ask for a different direction.

Last edited:
Well, let's see. Almost all of the characters are done. Atusa has half her Charms and no Intimacies, but who needs those, really? Renna and Morolan don't have any Flags, so I'm going to assume a standing Flag of, 'I want to be hired to hit something scary until it stops moving.'

So all that's left really is for our three different groups to decide what exciting events will befall them, and what their Goal is. You don't have to pick one of the options I tossed out, you can suggest your own, or be like, 'Those are neat, but I really want something focused on this.' I try to make sure the ideas I toss out are amenable to satisfying as many of your Flags as possible, but I won't always get it right, so it's always okay to ask for a different direction.

I may adjust aspects a bit to create a wider variety compel opportunities. As for start up, let's see here...

John & Hazel are chilling at the BAR in Lower Javurwa amongst the roots of the Orchard-City of Javurwa proper, and have a goal of solving a magical murder mystery, fixing a really comfy First Age chair, and licking random objects for science, some of which they've just cooked.

They will...
  1. Participate in the Red Tagine, the no holds barred, anything goes culinary championship of the Falling Blossoms Festival. The prize is the first blossom from the tallest branch of the heart tree of Javurwa. Properly prepared, it's said to grant a century of youth to anyone who consumes it, or cure any malady. One of the few rules is 'No killing', so of course everything is delicious fun and delectable games until someone turns up decidedly dead.
  2. Be the dark horse in a race between a strange white-veiled foreigner rumoured to possess a map to the lost Alcazar of Twelve Ewers - thought to contain the secrets to making the most gods-forsaken wasteland a verdant garden paradise - and the colourful sorceress with authority issues pursuing her.
  3. Narrowly avoid mysterious assassination attempts while investigating the strange brass doorways appearing in the alleys of Old Town, the ethereal music within calling passersby to walk the shadowy, silver sands strewn hallways beyond by the pale light of verdigris stars. Those who have entered and returned speak of being accosted by a strange figure wandering the hallways in search of 'That Which Calls to the Shadows', for they seem to have tragically misplaced it. Oh, and the murders, too. Someone should probably investigate those.
  4. And Now for Something Completely Different (Suggest something you'd like to do)

1, 2, and 3 all work for me. If I have to choose a favorite though, I'd say option 1 but no losers here. What's your preference D. Rex D. Rex ?

Rykon Rykon

I'd say the same, all three ideas are winners in my book and I'd love the chance to try each one of them.

However, I lean towards 2 as I feel that it would have the most direct effects on each of the three parties, and getting them closer to meeting. And the imagry of John and Hazel riding a verdant tidal wave is pretty cool.

Something to keep in mind, is that once Hazel discovers her Solar Mate, she will be following his lead in what he wants to do. (As well as trying to balance that with her duty to finding and serving Atusa). So if it is just between her and John, she will be habitually expecting John to take the lead. So I am more than happy taking whichever route Rykon Rykon decides.

Now! Each path doesn't have to be mutually exclusive. With a bit of threading, each one can happen or lead into the other. Like preparing for the Tournament leads them to discover the mystery of the Ewers, which ends with John finding great ingredients and inspiration at the manse for a new dish. Out in the desert. They meet the mercs and dear leader. Joining together in the town just as the tournament begins. (I'm sure the other would love some food fighting fun too)... but despite the rules. One of tops chefs end up murdered. One that just may be related to the troublesome shadow problems seeking a certain misplaced demon. (And forces Hazel to consider if she should reveal her secret to her new circle)

Rykon Rykon

I'd say the same, all three ideas are winners in my book and I'd love the chance to try each one of them.

However, I lean towards 2 as I feel that it would have the most direct effects on each of the three parties, and getting them closer to meeting. And the imagry of John and Hazel riding a verdant tidal wave is pretty cool.

Something to keep in mind, is that once Hazel discovers her Solar Mate, she will be following his lead in what he wants to do. (As well as trying to balance that with her duty to finding and serving Atusa). So if it is just between her and John, she will be habitually expecting John to take the lead. So I am more than happy taking whichever route Rykon Rykon decides.

Now! Each path doesn't have to be mutually exclusive. With a bit of threading, each one can happen or lead into the other. Like preparing for the Tournament leads them to discover the mystery of the Ewers, which ends with John finding great ingredients and inspiration at the manse for a new dish. Out in the desert. They meet the mercs and dear leader. Joining together in the town just as the tournament begins. (I'm sure the other would love some food fighting fun too)... but despite the rules. One of tops chefs end up murdered. One that just may be related to the troublesome shadow problems seeking a certain misplaced demon. (And forces Hazel to consider if she should reveal her secret to her new circle)
Hm.... in terms of sequence, I like the idea of 2. 1. then 3. A high octane adventure with the promise of discovery that both Hazel and John can appreciate, followed by what should be in contrast a celebratory victory lap to vent stress for John, only for the bodies to start appearing. Odder still when they keep appearing after the conclusion of the competition, leading to the tales of the brass doors.

Would this mean that John and Hazel's first meeting takes place "on screen"? Edit: I don't mind leaving John's sorcery out of the picture until there's time for him to learn in the background.

We will need some sand ninjas next. To add to the carnage and fun.

Maybe to compete with Renna's Elites, like a sort of rivalry. Atusa has a squad of essence wielding spies and assasins. Ninjas excelling in the desert environment, with abilities honed beyond normal mortal capabilities.
This sounds like it would be fun. But I've used up all my Merits and Bonus points, so it's up to our Storyteller whether or not Atusa gets this.

I mean, what else do you expect Djinn-Blooded to do? If you command wind and fire you're basically an honourary ninja already. That or a barbecue master. Maybe a hot air balloonist. Pyrotechnician. Okay, so there are a lot of careers open to you, but ninja is up there.

So, any ideas on when we are going to get the game running? I'm anxious to get started!

For any given group I'm ready to go as soon as that group decides what it wants to do. I realize this is probably a bit backwards compared to what you're used to, but you tell me what your goal is going to be, and then I'll set a scene for progressing towards it, and tell you what Obstacles are in your way. I tossed out some ideas in a previous post for events that can serve as inspiration. If you say, "My goal is to get rich and put the name of our mercenary company on the lips of every notable in the Principate, and I want to take the job from option 1 to do it," then I set up a scene where you meet that employer and off we go. Or if none of those ideas appeals, you can be like, "I really want to conquer a city, toss me a scene to set me up for that." Or you can be like, "Yeah, my goal is to build a reputation for my mercenary company as the most badass blokes south of the Legion of Silence, but it's going to take me a while to get used to all this agency. You pick something for me."

Does that make sense?

Language ● low realm (native), Flametongue, old realm

Did you mean to have two dots of Linguistics, D. Rex? I think each dot buys you one language beyond your native tongue, but you listed two.

You spent 9 BP on Merits, but only have 14 dots of Merits. You start with a base of 10, so it seems 5 BP just sort of vanished?

Last edited:
Sherwood Sherwood Double checking numbers. Let me know if I made any mistakes. Looks like you have 32/28 dots of abilities under 4, and 5 dots of abilities over 3. That's 9 BP, I think. Then you have 21/10 dots of Merits for another 11 BP. You have 5/4 dots in your tertiary (mental), so that's another 3 BP? There's a 6th dot of Willpower in there for 2 BP.

So in total you spent something like 25/15 BP?

Did you mean to have two dots of Linguistics, D. Rex? I think each dot buys you one language beyond your native tongue, but you listed two.

You spent 9 BP on Merits, but only have 14 dots of Merits. You start with a base of 10, so it seems 5 BP just sort of vanished?

I thought Linguistics only gave the ability to read and write the language. (Either way, 1dot of BP for language is cheaper than 2dots BP for 1 ability point.)

I meant to have 2dots in language. I added one later through BP and forgot to change the merit dots in the merit section.

2 - Archery ●
4 - Occult ●●
1 ‐ Language ●
1 ‐ Artifact (Nocturne) ●
2 - Influence (Malfeas) ●●
5 - Sunken Manse ●●●●●

That should add to 15 bp, right?

I start with native tongue (low realm). Used a starter merit for 1 dot language (Flametongue), and the 1bp for 1dot language (old realm)

Yes, sorry, I meant Languages, not Linguistics.

You listed one dot of Languages, but it looks like you meant to buy two.

So you spent 8 BP on Abilities. 28/28 at 3or less for 0 BP, 4 dots above 3 for 8 BP. You have 14 dots of Merits for 4 BP (Though it seems you meant to have 15 for 5 with an extra dot of Linguistics?)

So you've spent 12 (or maybe 13) of your 15 BP?

Edit: Oh, I see. You spent 6 XP on a dot of Archery, not 2 BP. So you have 10 or maybe 11 spent out of 15?

Though I do notice a discrepancy. I have it labeled as 5dot in Archery in stats, but only bought 1 dot with BP.

That's leftover when I took did a little reorg to give me points to buy a manse. I should have only 4 dots in Archery, my bad. Fixing it now.

I also need to remove my Wits Excellency or move a dot to give me 3 wits.

And copy and paste my flags over

Ah. I think I see what I did.

I had leftover default merits and forgot about them. And when I went back to merits I assumed I used all my default ones and bought more with BP.

Actually.. that might not be it it either. Scratch everything. I'll do some math on it to figure out what went wrong and where and I'll get back with you tomorrow

Alright. I think I fixed it. And moved a few points around to make it less confusing.

I should have 19 dots in merits.

10 dots from char creation, and 9 bought with 9bp.

I bought 3 ability points(above 3) at 2bp each, for a total of 6bp.

6bp Abilities, plus 9bp merits. Comes to 15 bp.

With CS adjusted accordingly. Does that fix the problem or am I being stupid and missing something? Because I probably did that too.

Sherwood Sherwood Double checking numbers. Let me know if I made any mistakes. Looks like you have 32/28 dots of abilities under 4, and 5 dots of abilities over 3. That's 9 BP, I think. Then you have 21/10 dots of Merits for another 11 BP. You have 5/4 dots in your tertiary (mental), so that's another 3 BP? There's a 6th dot of Willpower in there for 2 BP.

So in total you spent something like 25/15 BP?
I used the six xp for some of the BP, but I must have miscalculated with all of the changes I kept making. I'll make the needed edits now.

With CS adjusted accordingly. Does that fix the problem or am I being stupid and missing something? Because I probably did that too.
Yup, that looks good to me.
I put my 6 xp towards the Command Merit, giving me the two points I put towards our troops. I'll trim the extra points. Sorry.
No worries, just checking to make sure I understand everyone's characters.

Hm... I think I'll stockpile the 6xp to save for Flawless Handiwork Method, then probably expand upon either sorcery or combat charms for a little bit for John.

I think D. Rex D. Rex and I are in agreement that we'd want to start with adventure 2. then eventually move into 1. then 3. if it works with the overall story.

Unless there's anything else to address, I'm ready start anytime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back