Exalted III: Poorly-Named Game

Ukkoya

I like your crew backstories. I should gather them up for reference.

[dice]24649[/dice]
She kneels down with one of the torches to examine the most recent tracks. Normally, she'd judge the time passed by their integrity and any shredded bits of flora embedded within. The strange glass sandscape makes her less certain, but seems to line up with what Kyros pieced together. Of their direction, she's quite positive.

Ukkoya points ahead. Her crew mates fan out to avoid stepping on the tracks, some switching to cutlasses. She gives Third Cloud a thump on the back. "We'll find 'em," she says gruffly.

The trail leads through a strange forest, where all the plants look oddly glossy and all the flowers are transparent. From there it leads into a cave, in the side of the glass mountain at the island's heart.

As you enter the cave, you can feel your body twist slightly. The Wyld is strong here. Too much time in this cavern and the crew might end up like Third Cloud.

Assuming you don't turn back, you soon come to a steep and jagged cliff inside the cave. The crystals that make it up glow brightly enough to make your torches unnecessary, but climbing it doesn't look easy. Especially since everything is so slippery in here.

The tracks end when you reach the hard glass ground of the cave, but there's really only one path here. So it doesn't much matter.

Difficulty 1 with Stamina + Integrity to resist the warping. Cirno, you can choose stats and roll for your crew if you want.

Difficulty 2 with Strength or Dexterity + Athletics to climb the cliff. You can do it without a roll too, but only if someone throws down a rope from the top.

Did you leave any demons behind to guard the ship, JayTee?

Last edited by a moderator:
Kyros exerted his will against the twisting forces of the Wyld, only just succeeding in banishing their strange energies, but he managed. The cliff on the other hand, he ignored completely, opting instead to bring forth one of his Agata and riding it to the top.

He knew that the sailors under Ukkoya would likely protest, but he knew their complaints would be muted when he dropped the rope down to ease their journey up.

Stam 3 + Integrity 3 + Excellency 4 = 10 dice for 2 successes

Having 0 Athletics, I'm not even going to risk that.

Ukkoya

Stats for crew average in tab here. Let me know if there's better way to stat them out. Thought we could give them fuller individual stat blocks as we go along, if their abilities become relevant to plot.

[dice]24711[/dice]

[dice]24712[/dice]

Oh. Huh. Crew's alright but Ukkoya's been affected. I wanna see how this goes, haha!
An unpleasant feeling skitters through her body. Ukkoya glances at her crew and sees no adverse affects, so she forces it down as nerves and carefully approaches the cliff.

She eyes a precarious foothold when someone behind her gasps. The cave is awash in rainbow colours. Ukkoya turns in time to witness Kyros' ascent, trailed by the strangely soothing thrum of the crystalline creature's wings.

The whistling drop of rope brings her back to reality. So the sorcerer had brought his damn entourage after all. She grins and grabs on. The cliff face squeaks unpleasantly underfoot, but she scales up without any issue. "Much obliged," she says.

Down below, Janjahar secures his weapon behind his back and takes hold of the rope.

Your bones are becoming brittle. Your soak from Stamina is halved, and bashing damage doubles 10s against you. It's temporary, but it could become permanent if you keep failing rolls.

I was thinking each crew member would roll separately, but on second thought your way is better.

Crew stats mostly look good. Better than the average sailor, which makes sense for a Solar's crew. Resistance 4 is a bit much, though. And I'm not sure why they're prettier than average.
The crew reacts with awe to the materialization of the agata. Its beauty entrances them, and the cavern becomes silent.

For a little while after that, you walk peacefully through a gently upward-sloping cavern. Then, without warning, the walls of the cavern fifty feet behind you flow into each other.

Your path out of the cave is simply gone.

The voice of a young girl speaking veeeery slooowly echoes from the depths of the cavern.

"Laaay...

down...

your...

weapons..."

If you want to notice the flowing walls in time to get past them, it'll take a difficulty 5 Perception + Awareness roll.

If you disobey the voice, roll Stamina + Awareness or Resistance against difficulty 2 to avoid being blinded by a flash of bright light. Then roll Join Battle.

JayTee, did you leave any demons behind to guard the ship?

Kyros frowned at the decree, and wracked his mind to think of anything that could tell him what they were dealing with.

Int 5 + Lore 5 + Specialty 1 = 11 dice for 5 successes

No, the demons are with Kyros.

Trying to identify real-life phenomena using myths and legends is always a dicey affair. There's always the possibility that what you're dealing with simply isn't legendary.

But this sure seems like one of the living islands of the West. If the stories are to be believed, everything in, on, and around a living island constitutes a single entity. Living islands are said to feed on people, using their bodies, their weather, and their "inhabitants" to capture human travelers and take them to their stomach-heart.

"Hnn. A living island." Kyros said thoughtfully, casually discarding the samples he had taken earlier and loosening his hands from his sleeves. "Ukkoya, I'd advise against listening to the voice. I believe it intends to eat us."

Join Battle roll: Perception 3 + Awareness 3 = 6 dice for 1 success, + 3 auto successes for 4 total.

Avoiding the light roll: Stamina 3 + Resistance 5 = 8 dice for 4 successes

Ukkoya

At Kyros' word, Ukkoya blindly makes for her sword.

[dice]24817[/dice][dice]24816[/dice] (Join Battle: 3 + 3 = 6)
There's the sound of steel from scabbard. And a soft woosh. First Sparrow always did like axes.

Let me know if I should roll 'em separate for purposes of battle. I'm going to say everyone left their pikes behind at the bottom of the cliff because of manoeuvrability concerns.

[dice]24818[/dice][dice]24819[/dice] (Crew Join Battle: 2 + 3 = 5)

JayTee, what orders do you give your demons? If you say nothing, the blood apes will materialize and attack while the others stay back.

In a fight like this one, I'm inclined to let you control your minions directly. Saves me a bit of work. Don't count on always getting direct control like this, though.

Both demons and crew will be treated as battle groups.

Your opponents are a troll and a Size 2 battle group of kobolds. Don't read too much into the names.

Everyone's at Close range, except the troll is Short from everyone else.

Initiative:

Kobolds 7

Ukkoya 6

Crew 5

Troll 4, Kyros 4

The kobolds will open up by attacking everyone. They get

11 successes on their attack roll. Base damage is 16, plus extra successes, minus soak.

Half-crystalline-half-rocky creatures, shaped vaguely like human beings, surge through the cavern. They scream discordantly as they go. The quiet of the cave vanishes, replaced by inhuman screeching.

Kyros's agata looks at him, clearly looking for orders.

Most of the creatures are tiny, too short to touch your faces. But there are dozens of them, and each carries a heavy stone club. They batter at your legs with a terrible strength and fury that belies their size.

A little ways down the cavern, a larger creature lumbers forward. It's about seven feet tall, with an awkwardly bulky stone body and a beautiful stained glass face. Its smaller compatriots have outrun it, but it's on its way to break your bones.

Ukkoya - Bones of Glass; Halved Soak from Stamina

Kobolds vs Ukkoya: 16 + (11 - 3 Parry) - 2 Soak = 22

Kobolds vs Crew: 16 + (11 - 4 Parry) - 4 Soak = 19

Is Third Cloud counted among the crew?

He is.

I think you forgot the equipment bonus to your Parry. You're all wielding medium weapons, right?

Also, did you really all come here unarmoured?

Anyway, you should feel free to roll damage against yourself. Makes things run quicker. I intend to avoid Charms that can mess that up.

<p>"Defend me." Ordered Kyros to his demons, and with a sudden surge in the smell of rotting meat and guttural utterances, a host of Blood Apes appeared, closing ranks to ward their master from the oncoming swarm of Kobolds.</p>

<p>

</p>

<div class="ipsSpoiler" data-ipsspoiler="">

<div class="ipsSpoiler_header"><span></span></div>

<div class="ipsSpoiler_contents">

<p>

Spirit Manifesting Word on a demon to take the hit for me. 1m. If they're a battle group, do they all manifest at once or just one of them? If the latter, the rest will be materializing this turn and attack the other battle group.</p>

<p>

11 successes - Blood Ape Parry 4 = 7 threshold successes. Enough to beat the Blood Ape's defense. If they decide to use the threshold successes attack me, I'll spend 6m to add +3 to my Parry defense, bringing it to 8</p>

<p>

Personal Motes 6/13</p>

</div>

</div>

I hate to niggle like this, but that doesn't work. Spirit-Manifesting Word is Simple. You can't use it until your turn rolls around, and the Kobolds go before you.

Also, you need to roll Join Battle for the demons.

Spirit-Manifesting Word just manifests one demon. Of course, one demon can do a lot of what a battle group can do.

Whoops, my bad. Here's the revised defense.

16 raw damage + (11-5 parry) - (3 + 5 soak (DoO+SSS)) = 14 damage dice for 4 successes

7/13 personal motes

Join battle for demons: 6 dice for 2 successes

Alright. You're knocked down to 0 initiative. The kobolds get a crash bonus, not that it matters much. Initiative as it stands now:

Kobolds 12

Ukkoya 6 - imminent damage

Crew 5

Demons 5

Troll 4

Kyros 0

Cutlasses are light swords, so no defense bonus. Rolling on Mike Tilly, sorry I don't know where dice roller went

Kobolds vs Ukkoya: 16 + (11 - 3 Parry) - (2 + 3 Soak) = 19 damage dice for 11 successes, including two double-10s

Kobolds vs Crew: 16 + (11 - 4 Parry) - (4 + 3 Soak) = 16 damage dice for 15 successes, including four double-10s

Ukkoya's crew, taken by surprise, is unable to defend itself effectively. Pretty soon they're all on the ground, unable to fight, most of them with broken leg bones. Fortunately, the monsters seem to be trying for live captures here.

Crew's toast, then. Kobolds get another crash bonus.

JayTee, your demons are up.

Kobolds 12

Demons 5

Troll 4

Kyros 0

Ukkoya -9

With a howl for blood and the smell of rotting meat, the six foot tall, red-maned Blood Apes appeared to aid their master, all roaring and gnashing teeth to intimidate the Kobolds in to submission as they charged the Fae lines.

OOC

Demons materializing to join the battle

Hang on. The demons need to materialize before they can attack. Which costs motes and takes an action. You could have them delay until you get a chance to use Spirit-Manifesting Word, so one could attack while the rest materialized, but since that would only manifest one demon the first attack wouldn't get a battle group bonus.

Sorry, for some reason I got it in my head that materializing was reflexive, not Simple. Modified the post to be more accurate.

The larger monster's attempt to reach you is interrupted by the arrival of the demons, but it doesn't show any reaction. Its stained-glass face remains utterly impassive as it lays about your creatures with its massive crystal-studded tetsubou.

9D10 => (2 +7 +4 +9 +10 +2 +10 +7 +2) = 53, so there's a 7-success attack heading towards your demons. Base damage 18.

Man, the dice love me. This fight is shaping up to be harder than I intended.

Kobolds 17
Demons 5 
Troll 4 
Kyros 0 
Ukkoya -9

Over to you two. In theory Kyros is supposed to go first, but chances are it won't matter who posts first.

Kyros cursed under his breath. The fight hadn't even started and already they were being pushed back. "We may be in trouble." He muttered to Ukkoya, striking out at the Kobold hoard. "I'm willing to admit I'm out of my depth, any suggestions on your part would be welcome." Kyros was a scholar, not a warrior. Ukkoya's crew likely had more experience in battle than ten of him.

Unarmed attack on the swarm 14 dice for 7 successes.

Spending 4m to use Fist of Iron and Battle Fury Focus.

If you're not stunting a defense for the apes, they take 12 dice of damage after soak. 

[SIZE=inherit]12[/SIZE][SIZE=inherit]D10[/SIZE] [SIZE=inherit]=>[/SIZE] (9 +8 +8 +9 +2 +7 +8 +4 +9 +1 +5 +7) = 77

So that's 8 damage successes. Gah. The battle group only has nine health boxes. Kobolds might just drop them next turn...I hope they survive, because they could hit back really hard. A Defend Other action might be a good idea for Ukkoya.

Warrior or not, you've got a pretty good Brawl skill...anyway, are you using an Intimacy with Fists of Iron Technique?

The kobolds have Evasion 5 and Soak 7. So you hit cleanly, and get 1i. Damage depends on how you're using FoIT.

The great crystal-studded club slams into one of your blood apes, breaking its ribs and sending it sprawling into its companions. One of those companions is knocked over, and lands hard on a jagged stone.

OOC

The only intimacy that could be justified to work with FoIT would be the Major Intimacy of  "Underestimate me at your own peril."  Considering how we're getting backed in to a corner and need every edge we can get, I think I'll use it with the Charm.

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Withering Damage: (Str 2) + (Unarmed 7) + (Intimacy 3) = 12 dice for 4 damage, minimum 1, since it all got absorbed by their soak. [/COLOR] :(

Also, I don't know if you realized this, but your links are leading to the Rolz site itself, rather than the outcome of your actual roll.

Users who are viewing this thread