• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Exalted: Great Light and Brazen Shadows (Interest Check) [Forum] [Dice]

Exthalion

Elder Member
There was light. It shown, soft and golden, through the floor, the walls, even the ceiling. The sound of status hymns were distant and muted. Here the Maker's body was not in revolt. Here resources were not dwindling. Here there was no blight zone vast enough to swallow the nation. For this one moment there was only stillness and light. For this one moment, there was peace.

Then your duty began.

Welcome everyone, to my first foray into the somewhat intimidating world of Storytelling a game of Exalted. The players will take the role of a new assembly created in the Metropolis of Wisant in the hopes of turning back the tide of tragedy that is slowly drowning the nation of Narud. As such, feel under no obligation to produce a "perfect" assembly. Scavenging materials from wherever they could be found is justification enough for a somewhat motley collection of castes.

So, without further ado

System: Exalted 2.5

Player Count: At least five, but exceptional submissions may push past that limit

Style of Play: After a few initial missions to let me get the hang of things you will be presented with goals by the Tripartite and given broad freedoms in achieving them.

Allowed Content: All official 2E+Scroll of Errata and Ink Monkies is available, but entries from Scroll of the Monk or Scroll of Heroes must be submitted for approval. Homebrew will also be considered. I would appreciate it if requests for homebrew were in the following format:

Name of Request: Charm or Fix name

Reference Location: Link

SummeryThe basic nature of the material. Why you want it would also be helpful in the event that the material is not approved so that I may work with you if need be.
Character Creation:

• Backstory: Your last three lives, at least two sentences each. Also, explain in brief what the general reason for creating you was, though you are not bound to that in later play.
  • Experience: Use the rules found in MoEP: Alchemicals. Errata is in effect. You are capped at E2. Note, you may not purchase additional charm slots, that is a plot element.
  • Excellencies: Three free augmentations. The first and second augmentations of each attribute are submodules of a single charm of which one is free on purchase.
  • Health boxes: Free, non-charm, purchases of Strain-Resistant Chassis Modification equal to Essence. SRCM may not be purchased as a charm.
  • Affiliation: No Gremlins or Adamants

Other Notes: This is my first game so I apologize in advance for any mistakes I make. If you would point them out to me I would much appreciate it.

Rules Clarifications and Additions

• 9/7/5 +1 Attribute distribution
  • Initial 8 charms may be used for MA charms
  • The 3 free augmentations do not take up charm slots. They may not be uninstalled and represent intrinsic installations.
  • Each charm or equivalent given up provides 6xp for submoduals
  • Craft is one ability. For each dot of craft you may select one area of craft as broad as an elemental or exotic craft. You may apply your full craft rating to craft projects for the areas you have chosen. Additional areas of competence may be purchased for 3xp.

Yes, my blood-pump yes. You have my attention, interest, and a racing imagination already working on a concept.

I'm interested! Can I be part of this? I want to be a Sidereal of some stripe; some sort of combat analyst + sniper + surveyor.

[QUOTE="Silent Wayfarer]I'm interested! Can I be part of this? I want to be a Sidereal of some stripe; some sort of combat analyst + sniper + surveyor.

[/QUOTE]
No to the Sidereal, the Seal of Eight Divinities is unbroken. You can be a starmetal caste though, they tend to fill those same roles.

Oh hell yeah the last, Alchemical game I was in fell apart--they are my favorite Exalted type. I am all over a Starmetal Caste.

Holy Great Maker, yes! I've been wanting to play an Alchemicals game set in actual Autochthonia since the book came out and never had a chance!

I'm initially leaning towards an Orichalcum caste, one part statesman, one part strongman. Though that could change by the time things get rolling, I suppose.

Exthalion said:
No to the Sidereal, the Seal of Eight Divinities is unbroken. You can be a starmetal caste though, they tend to fill those same roles.
Derp. I meant Starmetal Caste. But if HRO wants to be one, I can go for an excessively pretty and strong Orichalcum Caste.

OH INCARNA OMNIPOTENT! *GASPS*

I just had an Alchemigasm.

Still not meeting all the requirements, but will be done in a couple of days.

Name: Chrome-Forged Star

Concept: Tactician, commando

Motivation: Atone to mankind for his error

Caste: Starmetal

Intimacies

+Humanity (Protect)

+Clarity (Cultivate)

+Accuracy & Detail (Perfectionism)

-Alchemicals (Suspicion)

-Friends (Paranoia)

-Leaders (Bitterness)

640x445_3144_Sniper_2d_sci_fi_sniper_robot_cyberpunk_picture_image_digital_art.jpg

The black Exalt smiles arrogantly, arms crossed, leaning on the wall of the small dark room.

"I want to make it clear that you are not a suspect.

Not yet."

On a small chair another Choosen sits, uncomfortable.

This is not something his thick armor can protect from.

"Inescapable Conclusion?"

"Yes?"

"Fuck you."

"Thanks. Now proceed."

The sitting exalt snarls, but starts to speak.

"...

So.. Bastion was suffering, and her people with her.

We had only a few options on the table, but eventually Together Enlightened Ahead imposed his own plan.

It was risky, but sound... Everybody agreed."

"Together Enlightened Ahead was your mentor."

"He was everybody's mentor."

"Still, he was special to you?"

"Inescapable Conclusion, why the fuck are you doing this?"

"Because it's a dirty job but someone has to do it... You know, not everybody can be The Hero of Concordia."

On the chair, Chrome-Forged Star takes the blow.

His jaw tightens.

Then, his gaze falls on the coin he holds in the hand.

His thumb brushes the face minted on it.

Chrome-Forged Star's face.

"The recovery plan was based on a heavy reprioritization.

Microchemicals production had to go first, several tonnes per day, but to reach the quota we needed to mine rare earths in Concordia.

I was Assembled with Together Enlightened Ahead and Stainless Anvil, to lead the army and defend the outpost.

Gremlin raids were continuous, but small.

Until when the real wave came.

This was when Together Enlightened Ahead betrayed mankind."

Inescapable Conclusion's smile breaks in a sudden grimace, but just as quickly the Chosen recovers his flair.

"Interesting...

Your parameters do not seem altered.

Are you such a good liar?"

"..."

"From here on, I heard different versions...

Go ahead, tell me yours."

"Together Enlightened Ahead almost killed Stainless Anvil, then ran away.

I could not believe it... I could not accept it

I went insane... I lost my Clarity.

I should have stayed to lead the survivors.

Instead, blinded by revenge, I left them to their fate to chase Together Enlightened Ahead.

This is what he wanted.

He played me.

And... And I fell for it.

The losses were huge.

Crippled as he was, Stainless Anvil managed to save but a handful of men.

The plan had failed miserably, Bastion almost collapsed."

"The official account says that Together Enlightened Ahead died heroically fighting a Voidbringer.

You were fighting at his side."

"Together Enlightened Ahead was a beloved public hero of the Populat, Stainless Anvil couldn't bear to tell our people that he had betrayed us all.

Stainless Anvil also insisted that I had to be hailed as hero, even just because I had retrieved Together Enlightened Ahead's soulgem."

To be continued...

Questions:

Would custom charms and martial arts styles be permitted?

Would it be possible to create a custom alchemical charm and not have it suddenly become available to every other alchemical ever?

I have yet to actually make an alchemical though. I may hit somebody up for some help if I need it. Especially since Anathema and Ed's Exalted both don't do alchemicals :(

Well, if a short summary of my concept is warranted...

Designation: Illuminated Eikon of the Defender ("Eikon")

Concept: Shining leader of the masses

Purpose: Inspire excellence through example

Past incarnations:

- Militate Captain Morpha; killed in action during a gremlin breakthrough spearheaded by the Apostate Callidal Calculus of Ruthless Efficiency, at border town designate 1138-Theta. In the wake of Calculus' devastating Psychophobe Ray attack, the town's defenders were paralyzed by fear and unable to defend themselves. Morpha fought through the terror-fugue and battled the gremlin forces with such valor and fervor that he managed to single-handedly restore their fighting spirit, allowing them to hold out until reinforcements could arrive. Morpha did not survive the holding action, but he is forever memorialized in the town he helped save.

- Surgeon-Commander Noro Hanta; was part of the medical task force to treat an outbreak of the Combined REspiratory Dysfunction Orthovirus in the Motaba District of Estasia. Militate forces recommended containment and sterilization, but Commander Hanta defied orders to take samples of the virus and withdraw and instead stayed among the people of Motaba to treat them. Commander Hanta contracted the virus, perhaps deliberately, and used her own blood to engineer a vaccine for it. However, while she did recover from the virus, she pushed herself past her limits to administer the cure to her patients, resulting in death from exhaustion. The CREDO-HN counteragent is named in her honor.

- Alethea, Vox Populat; her town had fallen under the sway of a number of glot-bosses calling themselves the Syndicate; they knew the system well enough that they managed to legalize their corruptions from the eyes of the State. Alethea refused to accept their tyranny, and loudly denounced their excesses until they were forced to arrest her on trumped up charged to silence her. However, just as she was being marched to her execution, a Champion showed up to investigate the issue, and found all the proof he needed to depose the Syndicate. Alethea spent the rest of her days as part of the town council, making sure that every voice was heard and every heart was clear.

-

I am very interested too. So what you just want right now are concept blurbs in order to make your picks of players, or am I mistaken?

vinom said:
Questions:
Would custom charms and martial arts styles be permitted?

Would it be possible to create a custom alchemical charm and not have it suddenly become available to every other alchemical ever?
Custom charms are indeed permitted, and I will be mining the Demented One for NPCs.

As for the Noetic Archive, I read a thread about this and there were good points on both sides. I am inclined toward keeping it as is, but a good argument could convince me otherwise.

Blackadder said:
I am very interested too. So what you just want right now are concept blurbs in order to make your picks of players, or am I mistaken?
This is correct, blurb now is all that you need.

Name: Avatar of Inexorable Justice

Caste: Orichalcum

Concept: Strongman and statesman, fighting for the people with words and fists (which order they come in depends on his Charm loadout).

Motivation: Bring hope, safety, and justice to the people of Nurad, and all of Autochthonia.

Past Lives (most recent backwards)

Denath of Wisant - Once the high Adjudicator of Wisant, and serving two separate terms as her Autocrat, it is likely that there are many who still live in that city that remember Denath. He devoted himself to renewing the bonds between Wisant and the rest of Nurad, gently but persistently guiding the laws and his people in an attempt to combat the desperation and ennui that was consuming his nation. Famous for his impartiality, treating Populate, Lumpen, and Tripartite with equally stern courtesy when they came before him, Denath was almost unique in that he would explain his rulings to any who asked. "Understanding the law is the first step towards embracing it," he was known to say. Implacable and incorruptible in pursuit of his duties, this elder judge was respected, loved, and feared by the people of Wisant in equal measure. Conversely, there were many among the Lumpen and the prison-city of of Xefin who rejoiced at news of his death... though only a select few among the Olgatory know that this death was not natural, despite his advanced years. Denath was assassinated by one of the Apostates lurking among the people of Nurad, as part of their campaign of terror and conquest.

Beren - Beren was a simple Populate shift chief who lived in Claslat. There was an accident at his factory; the kind that happen somewhere in the Eight Nations every day, the kind that (mostly) no one is truly to blame for. Beren risked his life to save several of his workers, holding up a collapsing girder and barely escaped before the entire building crumbled around him. He was honored by his city's leaders, and gladly worked extra shifts helping to clean up after the collapse. While doing so, however, he discovered that the accident had been caused by substandard building materials; both crime and heresy! Beren reported this to the authorities, and was dismissed with a warning to keep his mouth shut. He spent his accumulated glots lavishly, shocking those who knew him by taking shifts off work, and more on bribes and favors, following the trail of the laxity, crossing paths in the process with one of the city's few remaining honest Regulators. Together, they were able to find the glot boss who had been using her official position to siphon off materials and sell them for profit. She was exposed, and died resisting arrest. While the city began a thorough housecleaning, Beren returned to his work with peace in his heart.

Marsko - Marsko was a Sovan Regulator, nearly two centuries before the Elemental War, and one of the acknowledged masters of Live Wire Style. He was leading a combined squad of Regulators from several nations, hunting a group of pilgrims who were secretly spreading Void-worship. He found them... and their dozens of Gremlin allies, and Apostate leader. Only a handful of the sixty-four Regulators survived by the time the Champions arrived, largely due to Marsko's leadership and combat prowess. He should have been lauded as a hero; instead, corrupt elements in the city's Tripartite trumped up charges and pinned the blame for the disaster on him. Because of his great skill and valor, he was unjustly made Lumpen, and forced to perform an illegal pit-fighting ring. During his brutal years there, he seethed at the sheer wrongness of it, but knew a single man could not prevail against such institutionalized evil. He did it anyway. Bereft of his crackling whips, he bent his expertise in the martial arts to developing a new Style, the First Pulse Style, which he taught to his his fellow gladiators and led them in revolt against their captors. Their corrupt activities exposed, the ring's masterminds were quickly arrested, and their slaves restored to their former status. Marsko died during the revolt, but he was posthumously given Sova's highest recognition for dedication and bravery.

Other Lives - Before and between these noteworthy incarnations, Avatar has been a Lector and a Plutarch, a Cleric and a Celebrant, a Sodalt and a Militate. The common thread in all his lives has been a willingness and ability to stand against injustice and corruption from within the Octet's society (though not ignoring threats from without), leadership abilities, and frequently, great physical strength. His soul is older than Autochthonian life, having been one of the mortals captured by the Machine God in his flight from Creation, though surely no memory could stretch back so far...

Material Requests

First Pulse Style

Reference:
Scroll of the Monk, pg. 45-48

Summary: a Terrestrial Martial Art, based around being a brutal street brawler. Centered on hitting first, hard, and leaving a brutal impression to discourage enemies from attacking you again. Probably has some good synergy with Solar Hero Style, but I've never heard anyone saying it's overpowered.
Brutal Attack

Reference:
Scroll of Heroes, pg. 58

Summary: use Strength instead of Dexterity when making Melee and Martial Arts attacks. 2 points normally, or 4 points to be compatible with appropriate supernatural martial arts styles. I would be taking the 4 point version. Basically, it's more fitting for my concept to be much more strong and tough than agile, and I won't be trying to munchkinize by pumping my Strength any higher than an Alchemical could normally pump Dexterity.
Chargen questions

I'm a little confused by what you said about experience under character creation... are we using xp-based chargen, or is that only for later advancement? And do you mean we can't EVER have more than eight Charm slots, or only not right out of the gate?

Last edited by a moderator:
Designation: Perpetual Gears of Duty ("Gears")

Concept: Hatchetman and enforcer (in whatever sense)

Caste: Soulsteel

Motivation: Drive back and strike down any manifestation of corruption in any form.

Past incarnations:

- Adasa: From Jarish, Adasa was an older factory worker noted at once for his stubborn temperament - a common note of demerit by generations of superiors - and for unflagging hard work and expertise - a common note of merit. When an act of sabotage by an ailing factory god shattered his workplace and spread toxic gases, Adasa tirelessly worked to free fellow workers and his foreman, despite the dangers. With a final pocket trapped, Adasa was told by arriving Regulators to give up the men and women as lost. Adasa retorted that he would die before any fellow Populat here did and plunged back into the maelstrom. He eventually emerged - and miraculously, the last five shift workers were alive and saved.... but Adasa simply smiled before collapsing. The poisons had eaten out his body at last.

- Captain Kerkel: A Nurad officer, Kerkel was not favored by his superiors, due to political enemies made by his brusque and undiplomatic manner, and was shunted aside on the eve of a major battle to guard a minor side tunnel with a mere 50 men. However, it quickly became apparent that his general had been mistaken. An enemy detachment in force was advancing into his path, and would trap Nurad between the hammer and the anvil. Kerkel sent two men to alert the main army and then turned to his men. "When I give the signal, we charge, and no one stops until I say stop." He never said another word to his men again. The counter-attack took the relaxed flankers by storm, and the 50 men stalemated what turned out to be 1000 long enough to ruin their surprise. Ironically, Kerkel was the only one to survive, and he went on to achieve several more victories and a famous legacy.

- Yelsin Rowe: A junior Tripartite member, Yelsin found a proposed bill of metropolis legislation meant for... corrupt purposes that would make it harder to detect and punish embezzlement and abuses by ranking officials. First he voted against it, then launched a tirade filled fillibuster in open debate. Admonished and censured severely, he dared to step out in public and preach to them about the corruption in the Tripartite. This earned him an arrest by no less than one of the Champions of Yugash. Stripped of his rank and facing trial, Yelsin committed suicide, leaving a note that he would never submit to a tainted system. This inspired a great riot on his behalf, which after quelled led the Champion whom arrested him to investigate the situation thoroughly. Dozens of Tripartite members were arrested or executed, and the metropolis went through a period of purging and purification.

Common Factor: Perpetual Gears of Duty has past souls that tend to be individualistic, do not try too hard to get along with others, but also are highly skilled and focused, and do not back down when duty is involved. Duty however has also been interpreted as to the people as well as the nation as a whole, his lives cutting across caste lines.

WarDragon said:
Material Requests
First Pulse Style

Reference:
Scroll of the Monk, pg. 45-48

Summary: a Terrestrial Martial Art, based around being a brutal street brawler. Centered on hitting first, hard, and leaving a brutal impression to discourage enemies from attacking you again. Probably has some good synergy with Solar Hero Style, but I've never heard anyone saying it's overpowered.
Seems fine, but if something turns out to be broken we will talk about it.

WarDragon said:
Brutal Attack

Reference:
Scroll of Heroes, pg. 58

Summary: use Strength instead of Dexterity when making Melee and Martial Arts attacks. 2 points normally, or 4 points to be compatible with appropriate supernatural martial arts styles. I would be taking the 4 point version. Basically, it's more fitting for my concept to be much more strong and tough than agile, and I won't be trying to munchkinize by pumping my Strength any higher than an Alchemical could normally pump Dexterity.
How about this instead, for flavor?

Gravity-Spun Mass Engine

Cost: 1m [1m]; Mins: Strength 3, Essence 2

Type: Supplemental

Keywords: Combo-OK, Obvious

Duration: Insant

Prerequisite Charms: Any Strength Augmentation

This charm is a ring of Soulsteel and White Jade coils around the champion's essence reactor in which space is visibly twisted. Upon making a close combat attack and paying one mote the character may make use of strength instead of Dexterity for that attack. The engine transforms the tremendous power of the Exalt's attack into a field of attractive force inexorably drawn to his target.

Submodules:

Integrated Accelerator Shunts (Essence 3, 2xp): Red Jade injectors now link the Gravity-Spun Mass Engine directly to the Champion's limbs. The charm's is waved provided the character makes unarmed attacks.

Unfolding Cascade Simplex (Wits 3): Starmetal inlay on Gravity-Spun Mass Engine's coils allow its rapidly spinning essence to take on the complex geometries of essence transformations. The Mass-Equivalence Cyclotron may now be used with supernatural martial arts.
Little cheaper point wise, but uses a charmslot. Feel free to change the name or the fluff, they were just the first thing that came to mind.

WarDragon said:

I'm a little confused by what you said about experience under character creation... are we using xp-based chargen, or is that only for later advancement? And do you mean we can't EVER have more than eight Charm slots, or only not right out of the gate?

Right now there are no rules for starting with submods at chargen. The ruling is that you may exchange one charm or background dot for 6xp worth of submods. Some submods only cost 1 xp for example, so it wouldn't be fair if you had to trade a whole charm for that.

You may not start with more then eight charm slots. After your first IC mission you will be able to spend xp and buy them as usual.

Exthalion said:
Seems fine, but if something turns out to be broken we will talk about it.
Cool.

How about this instead, for flavor?
Gravity-Spun Mass Engine

Cost: 1m [1m]; Mins: Strength 3, Essence 2

Type: Supplemental

Keywords: Combo-OK, Obvious

Duration: Insant

Prerequisite Charms: Any Strength Augmentation

This charm is a ring of Soulsteel and White Jade coils around the champion's essence reactor in which space is visibly twisted. Upon making a close combat attack and paying one mote the character may make use of strength instead of Dexterity for that attack. The engine transforms the tremendous power of the Exalt's attack into a field of attractive force inexorably drawn to his target.

Submodules:

Integrated Accelerator Shunts (Essence 3, 2xp:( Red Jade injectors now link the Gravity-Spun Mass Engine directly to the Champion's limbs. The charm's is waved provided the character makes unarmed attacks.

Unfolding Cascade Simplex (Wits 3:( Starmetal inlay on Gravity-Spun Mass Engine's coils allow its rapidly spinning essence to take on the complex geometries of essence transformations. The Mass-Equivalence Cyclotron may now be used with supernatural martial arts.
Little cheaper point wise, but uses a charmslot. Feel free to change the name or the fluff, they were just the first thing that came to mind.
First thought: wow, those automatic smileys get in the way.

Second thought: not quite what I'd hoped for, but I can work with it, thanks to the rules on free combos.

Right now there are no rules for starting with submods at chargen. The ruling is that you may exchange one charm or background dot for 6xp worth of submods. Some submods only cost 1 xp for example, so it wouldn't be fair if you had to trade a whole charm for that.
But normal, BP-based chargen otherwise?

You may not start with more then eight charm slots. After your first IC mission you will be able to spend xp and buy them as usual.
Cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back