• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Exalted 3e - The Underways

Lochar

God of Storytellers
God knows it's been years, but I've been paging through my Exalted 3e manual recently and I figured I might have a story lurking about. You'll have to excuse the vast amounts of rust I might have though.

Anyone possibly interested in playing a Solars game, to discover what lurks beneath Gethamane? If there's at least a few people, I'll pull up some more details. 3-5 Solars, and you can either be part of a newly established Circle come to Gethamane, or perhaps a entirely newly Exalted Solar, having just recently saved your comrades from a monstrous raid.

On the edge of the White Sea lies a small mountain range, wind whipping through the peaks and valleys in an echoing cry that gives rise to their name, the Groaning Mountains. Buried at the foot of these mountains are two giant onyx doors, bound and inlaid with jade of all colors, runed with other magical metals that resist all attempts to divulge their meaning, or even their removal. And yet the doors open to the slightest touch, frozen snow piled high pushed away by less than a child's strength.

Beyond these doors lies not vast treasures, but the city of Gethamane. A rather large city that has been populated since the Great Contagion, yet somehow seems stale and forsaken by the gods. In the annals of Heaven, no god claims Gethamane as their own, only the singular gods that a man prays to hears of this city. And no scholar has ever deciphered the trailing scripts that run throughout the city.

The people of Gethamane live their life simply, a majority of them never leaving their cavern city. To be born to Gethamane and die there is common, and the Gardens provide, if not delicious, then adequate food for it's people.

For all of Creation, this might be a safe place to live, save the fact that even below their gardens lurks dangers untold, tunnels that no man has ever fully mapped. And in these tunnels stalk creatures unknown to man, and sometimes even to gods. There is always the fear of monsters forcing the passageways, stealing up into the city, and taking their victims away. But should someone be able to bypass or defeat these creatures, sometimes great wealth can be wrested from the bowels of the earth.

And perhaps it is one of these which has brought a newly formed Circle to Gethamane.

Last edited:
Oh boy, never played 3e but I'm down to give this a shot!

Time for a crash course, fam.

Oh boy, never played 3e but I'm down to give this a shot!

Time for a crash course, fam.
3e has a bunch of really great stuff to it, along with some odd rule changes. I'm still trying to wrap my head around all the differences from 2e, but I like it a lot.

Lochar Lochar any changes from base character creation, or are we going straight from the book on this?

I'm thinking of focusing on either melee or martial arts. Haven't decided on which one yet.

3e has a bunch of really great stuff to it, along with some odd rule changes. I'm still trying to wrap my head around all the differences from 2e, but I like it a lot.

Lochar Lochar any changes from base character creation, or are we going straight from the book on this?

Straight from the book, unless there's been official errata released. I have Arms of the Chosen, but not Miracles.

Give me a bit and I'll put up a background at least.

On the edge of the White Sea lies a small mountain range, wind whipping through the peaks and valleys in an echoing cry that gives rise to their name, the Groaning Mountains. Buried at the foot of these mountains are two giant onyx doors, bound and inlaid with jade of all colors, runed with other magical metals that resist all attempts to divulge their meaning, or even their removal. And yet the doors open to the slightest touch, frozen snow piled high pushed away by less than a child's strength.

Beyond these doors lies not vast treasures, but the city of Gethamane. A rather large city that has been populated since the Great Contagion, yet somehow seems stale and forsaken by the gods. In the annals of Heaven, no god claims Gethamane as their own, only the singular gods that a man prays to hears of this city. And no scholar has ever deciphered the trailing scripts that run throughout the city.

The people of Gethamane live their life simply, a majority of them never leaving their cavern city. To be born to Gethamane and die there is common, and the Gardens provide, if not delicious, then adequate food for it's people.

For all of Creation, this might be a safe place to live, save the fact that even below their gardens lurks dangers untold, tunnels that no man has ever fully mapped. And in these tunnels stalk creatures unknown to man, and sometimes even to gods. There is always the fear of monsters forcing the passageways, stealing up into the city, and taking their victims away. But should someone be able to bypass or defeat these creatures, sometimes great wealth can be wrested from the bowels of the earth.

And perhaps it is one of these which has brought a newly formed Circle to Gethamane.

For my character idea, I have a work in progress for a sword-focused martial artist using Single Point Shining into the Void Style. I am using Martial Arts as my Supernal ability, which I think sucks because you can't even get to the Form Charm of most styles without being Essence 2, and there are no E4+ Martial Arts Charms like there are in the other Abilities.

I plan on writing everything up for him in my Private Workshop soon, then I can PM it to you for your approval. Sound good?

Sounds like a plan. And yeah, I guess it does suck to have to do your Supernal for Martial Arts and then not easily get the E4 really fun stuff.

I am hoping to be able to get a set of Silken Armor as a 3 dot set of Light armor. Would that be allowed, especially since there is no actual artifact like this in the books?

And as a side note, the spell Infallible Messenger doesn't have a Essence cost in the 3e book. Should I go with the 10m cost from 2e?

Psychie Psychie If you're going to get a 3 dot artifact, I do want at least something said towards how you got it, since you're a newly Exalted Solar. Silken Armor is listed as a 4 dot artifact on page 600

Also, page 474 of the book says Messenger's Cost: 5sm, 2wp.

I'd be interested to dive into some more Exalted. Gotta keep doing to keep learning. If space is available, and you don't mind a fairly-newcomer, that is.

there are no E4+ Martial Arts Charms like there are in the other Abilities.
Remember that with MA as your Supernal, you get Brawl on top for free, and there are E5+ Brawl Charms. Of course, those don't synergize well with SPSitV and I generally agree with your point, but you're not entirely screwed. Plus, once SMA's come out, they will probably have E5 Charms.

I'm seeing a Dawn, a Zenith and a probable Twilight, which covers most dungeon crawling basics. I'll try and think up a proper character concept tonight.

Psychie Psychie If you're going to get a 3 dot artifact, I do want at least something said towards how you got it, since you're a newly Exalted Solar. Silken Armor is listed as a 4 dot artifact on page 600

Also, page 474 of the book says Messenger's Cost: 5sm, 2wp.
I'll have to come up with a good explanation on my stuff. And thanks for finding the cost of Infallible Messenger.

I'd be interested to dive into some more Exalted. Gotta keep doing to keep learning. If space is available, and you don't mind a fairly-newcomer, that is.

I'm good with 3-5 Solars. I've gotten the major points of a good character sheet from Sherwood, and concepts from others. If there's more possible players than slots, it won't be first come first serve.

Alright then, guess I should get to work on something then.

I'm interested in rehashing a character I made for another game that never got off the ground. Originally intended as a fairly "light-side" Deathknight, I think she could work well as a "dark-side" Solar as well. She hasa strong connection to the North's dead, and an interest in seeing that those whose spirits cannot find rest are well-treated by their mortal descendants. She'd argue that the dead and the living should co-exist in harmony with the living offering prayers and sacrifices to the dead who will in turn advice the living as ghosts, and do menial labor as zombies.

She also had this pretty neat sword:
Skofnung (Soulsteel Daiklave, Artifact ●●●●)
An ancient sword forged from the souls of the twelve greatest kings of the North. It calls out to fallen warriors, compelling them to once more raise their swords in battle.

Current Souls: 60 (Size 2)

Accuracy: +4*
Damage: +13*
Defense: +2*
Overwhelming: 5
Attunement: 5
Tags: Lethal, Melee, Balanced
Hearthstone slots: 3

Skofnung can house the souls of the fallen. Those who have been called to serve by previous wielders describe the world inside as a vast battlefield surrounding a single great hall of black stone. They would fight from grim morning until a darkness as complete as Oblivion fell, and then feast in the torch-lit hall until morning when the fallen would once more pick up their weapons and join a battle without purpose.

When Skofnung contains souls, it gains the following bonuses to its traits depending on the number
1-6: +1 Accuracy
7-36: +1 Damage
37-144: +1 Defense
145-1200: +1 Accuracy
1200+: +1 Damage

Calling Home the Fallen
Cost: 5m; Mins: Essence 1
Type: Simple
Keywords: Psyche
Duration: Instant
Prerequisites: None

Solemnly placing the sword point first into the soil bloodied by war, the wielder calls to those fallen in battle all around them and compels them to find a new home within Skofnung. Roll (Charisma or Manipulation + Presence) to influence the ghosts of all those fallen in battle no longer three days and three nights before, and who are close enough to be affected. All those whose Resolve is low enough to be influenced are automatically compelled, unless they have an Intimacy they could use to resist the call, in which case they may spend a point of Willpower to resist the call of Skofnung. The range of this power depends on the wielder's Essence rating in the following manner:
Essence 1: Close range
Essence 2: Short range
Essence 3: Long range
Essence 4+: Extreme range

If the wielder is Resonant with Skofnung, their Essence counts as one higher than it is for the purpose of determining range, and only a Major or Defining Intimacy can protect a ghost from being called.

Unleashed from Beyond
Cost: 5m, (1lhl); Mins: Essence 1
Keywords: None
Duration: One Scene
Prerequisites: Calling Home the Fallen

Raising the sword high, the wielder summons the fallen to fight once more. This brings forth a Battle Group of the fallen from within Skofnung. This Battle Group has size (Essence/2 rounded up + 1), though it cannot be larger than the total of all souls contained within Skofnung. They arrive armed and ready to fight, but are Immaterial unless the wielder has spent the extra activation cost of (1 lhl), Materializing them through their own blood. Any ghosts slain while called into the world like this return unharmed to the blade once the Charm has run its course, or once they fall in battle. Note: It is not possible to create a battle group larger than the wielder's Essence would allow by activating the Charm multiple times.

The Battle Group's traits are determined by the average member, it further has Perfect Morale and Might 1.

If the wielder is resonant with Skofnung, the Battle Group is of size (Essence/2 rounded up + 2), though still limited by the number of souls contained within the blade.

Wisdom of the Gravebound
Cost: 5m, (or less); Mins: Essence 2
Duration: Indefinite
Prerequisites: Unleashed from Beyond

Holding the sword close to their heart, the wielder calls forth an individual contained within the blade to serve them in a wider capacity than simply as part of an army. Those called forth come fully realized with all the memories and knowledge of their former life, as well as their Intimacies, though they have acquired an additional Defining Intimacy of loyalty (or a similiar emotion) towards the wielder. While the Charm is active, it may be activated once more to call forth another ghost to serve. The cost to activate the Charm goes down by 1m for each ghost already manifested in this manner. No more than (Essence + 1) ghosts can be manifested at once. If the ghosts are involved in combat, they will form a single battle group that supports the wielder.

If the wielder is resonant with Skofnung, the number of ghosts than can be simoultaneously manifested is doubled.

Relics of the Dead
Cost: -; Mins: Essence 3
Type: Permanent
Duration: Permanent
Prerequisites: Unleashed from Beyond

When the dead come forth, they do so with the finest gear taken from all the battlefields of Creation. Every time the wielder calls forth the ghosts bound within Skofnung, they may decide how the ghosts are armed and armoured (or even dressed with Wisdom of the Gravebound). Furthermore, when called forth with Unleashed from Beyond, the Battle Group formed has Might 2 rather than 1. Similarly, when called forth with Wisdom of the Gravebound, the ghosts may have simple Thaumaturgical items to aid them.

If the wielder is resonant with Skofnung, the ghosts become valid targets for Training Charms such as Tiger Warrior Training Technique or Flowing Mind Prana.

Irresistible Call of Oblivion
Cost: 10m; Mins: Essence 4
Keywords: Psyche
Duration: Instant
Prerequisites: Wisdom of the Gravebound

By placing the pommel of the sword on the forehead of one recently dead, the wielder may force them into service. Activating this Evocation requires a (Charisma or Manipulation + Presence) roll, and if it beats the ghost's Resolve, it can only be resisted by a Defining Intimacy. If the victim died as a direct consequence of the wielder's actions (was poisoned by them, murdered by assassins sent by them, etc.), no roll is necessary and no Intimacies can protect them. However, the ghost retains all intimacies it had in life, so the wielder of Skofnung should take care when calling forth the ghosts of those who hate them.

What the Void Spews Forth
Cost: 10m (1ahl/scene); Mins: Essence 5
Duration: One scene
Prerequisites: Relics of the Dead, Irresistible Call of Oblivion

Raising the blade above their head, the wielder calls calls upon the Void itself to empower the ghosts under their command, and the Void answers. In return for the souls of the slain, Skofnung's ghosts come clad in the raiments of Death itself, and fight with the strength of the Void. When called forth with this Evocation, there is no size limit to the Battle Group summoned, every single soul is called from within Skofnung. They arrived armed and armoured in Soulsteel, granting them a Might rating of 3, and each ghost counts as two for the purposes of determining the Size of the Battle Group. However, once the Charm has run its course, every single ghost as well as the souls of all mortals slain by this army of the dead is doomed to Oblivion. Skofnung is empty once more, and the forbidding castle in its core falls silent.

If the wielder is resonant with Skofnung, they may prolong its Duration by spending paying 1 Aggravated Health Level per additional scene. This damage may not be healed while the Charm is active.

Does that sound like the kind of character who would work in this campaign? She was written as a Midnight Caste, but I think she'd probably be an Eclipse if Exalted as a Solar.

Here is a great Combat Cheat Sheet that helps to summarize up everything.

3rd Ed Combat Cheat Sheet.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back