• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Exalted 3E - Tale of a Falling Empire IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
With Larissa...
A few hours of flying finds Larissa hovering above the forests to the northeast of the city. It doesn't take long for her to hear the sounds of human activity coming from across a large area below her. Instinct tells her that there is a camp of considerable size in the area, almost certainly belonging to Jinlong's forces, though from her current position she is unable to see anything of note through the trees.

[Roll Perception + Awareness if you want to search around. And if you do, is there anything specific you wish to look for?]

Back in the city...
The two gods nod and dematerialize. If Manato has no other business to attend to outside of the palace, he will be able to return there without issue. Sengon meanwhile will remain at the Immaculate Temple to handle affairs there.

While Larissa is flying towards the forests, the other four members of the kinship and the members of Satori's council all receive word of a large force approaching the city's western gates. Your sources of information all clarify that it's no Anathema army, but the last of the reinforcements due to arrive at the city before Jinlong; the Akarukan contingent, the Blades of Hesiesh, and a Ledaal contingent. If you leave now, you will arrive at roughly the same time as the reinforcements.

Satori and Kirito will leave to greet the new arrivals. What about the rest of you?

Asuna twirls a lock of her hair, lost in thought, "Say, Fel, on a scale from one to terrible idea, how would you rate being flogged to death?" Quickly adding by way of reassurance, "Me, that is, not you." She looks up when the messenger enters to announce the imminent arrival of reinforcements, then glances back at Fel, "Hold that thought. This sounds like the sort of fashionable event no person of quality could miss. When was the last time you felt the wind on your face, anyway? Can't be good for you. Besides, your family is going to be there. I don't think you're allowed to hide down here in your cave." She glances at Kelsi, "Back me up on this."

---

Asuna accepts a silk parasol as she steps out of the palanquin and onto the carpet laid out by servants, following it to the appointed viewing location for Satori's address, observing the proceedings with the rapt attention of an artisan familiarizing themself with the tools of a new workshop. It may be a poor craftswoman who blames her tools, but I wouldn't say no to some particularly fine chisels for carving this miracle. Tachi-Kun, darling, make this happen for me and I promise I'll make Manato sing at all of your festivals.

Last edited:
Manato was making his way to rejoin the rest of the hearth on foot when the report of reinforcements was delivered. He dismissed the messenger politely with a nod and turned to meet the troops he'd won at the gates. As disappointing as the meeting with spirits was, at least the day would be marked by some good news.

[Manato will be present to greet the new arrivals and at some point he'd need to relay the status of the spirit court to the group at large. Even if it's only so their activities can be factored into strategic decision making later on.]

Asuna twirls a lock of her hair, lost in thought, "Say, Fel, on a scale from one to terrible idea, how would you rate being flogged to death?" Quickly adding by way of reassurance, "Me, that is, not you." She looks up when the messenger enters to announce the imminent arrival of reinforcements, then glances back at Fel, "Hold that thought. This sounds like the sort of fashionable event no person of quality could miss. When was the last time you felt the wind on your face, anyway? Can't be good for you. Besides, your family is going to be there. I don't think you're allowed to hide down here in your cave." She glances at Kelsi, "Back me up on this."

---

Asuna accepts a silk parasol as she steps out of the palanquin and onto the carpet laid out by servants, following it to the appointed viewing location for Satori's address, observing the proceedings with the rapt attention of an artisan familiarizing themself with the tools of a new workshop. It may be a poor craftswoman who blames her tools, but I wouldn't say no to some particularly fine chisels for carving this miracle. Tachi-Kun, darling, make this happen for me and I promise I'll make Manato sing at all of your festivals.

Fel looked up. A bit confused. "Is that your idea? Really? Well, I would put it at a five. After so many flogs you would lose feeling and pass out. But for a dynast... I think a much more effective execution would involve humiliation. For the peasants see us as up high. In their eyes, seeing us stripped of everything that they think we are would resonate with them better than simple pain. If you want their sympathy. They need to see on on their level."

Fel crossed his arms,"I can hide in any cave I wish. Besides, I am the wind. I am no general or leader or great hero, my presence is not needed. There are far too many preparations I need to make, no I will not be going."

_____

Fel went. Though his hands were still stained with grease, he did at least have the decency to put on fresh robes. Following Asuna to this viewing location, he was sucking on a pipe of Manato's tobacco. In order to keep himself busy, Fel was scribbling up a diagram. Dipping his quill in a jar of ink being held by a servant following closely beside him, he wasn't looking when he dipped, the servant dutifully moving the jar appropriately. So much to do, so little time. The device being drawn on the paper was unrecognizable, and had nothing to do with warstrider, surprisingly.(he wasn't about to let wandering eyes see clues to their secret weapon). It was, however, the pet project that Asuna wanted him to put a pen in. And he was just figuring out how he wanted it to work.

At the gates...
Rykon Rykon Random Word Random Word D. Rex D. Rex Psychie Psychie
By the time that all of you arrive, the last of the reinforcements due to show up have assembled outside of the city gates. Of these, two thousand and five hundred are the soldiers from Akarukan Hold, their weapons, armour and discipline all of the finest quality. They are led by a young male Dynast with short black hair, who rides a white-furred simhata and wears a reinforced breastplate of white jade, with the haft of a grand goremaul made from the same material resting against his shoulder.

Another six hundred are equipped in a near-identical manner to Realm legionaries, but their shields and attire bear the symbol and colors of House Ledaal. They are led by a trio of Dynasts who each ride on the back of an agata; one is a tall and musclebound man with a green jade powerbow, another is a woman in light blue sorcerer's robes, and the third is a short-haired and lightly-armored woman whose attire includes a reinforced buff jacket of black jade, and who carries a wrackstaff of the same material. Curiously, this last women seems to emit a very faint but noticeable dark aura.

In contrast to the other two groups, the last eight hundred of the reinforcements are bald, possess the bearing of martial artists rather than soldiers, and wear buff jackets with crimson accents alongside sheathed dual shortswords. These are the Blades of Hesiesh, a martial order known for its zealous enforcement of the Immaculate Philosophy, and they are led by a bald, cleanshaven and athletically built Fire Aspect who rides an amber-furred simhata, wears a reinforced buff jacket of red jade, and has a pair of red jade short daiklaves sheathed on his back. Were it not for his mount and attire, he could probably pass for an Immaculate monk, such is his manner and bearing.

The gates to the city open, and the five Dragon-blooded leaders of the reinforcements ride towards them, where they are met by Satori and Kirito (if any of you wish to be there with them, that's fine). Once all are within speaking distance of each other, the Dynast in white jade speaks.

"Satrap Satori. Commander Kirito. I am Tepet Zunoh, general of the Akarukan garrison." he says in greeting.

"This is Red Tiger, Captain of the Blades of Hesiesh." he gestures to the bald Fire Aspect, who clasps his hands together and bows in the manner of an Immaculate Monk.

"This is Ledaal Jarang, her cousin Ledaal Shushou, her wife Ledaal Fashi, and their mortal warriors." he says, indicating first the shorthaired woman with the sinister aura, then the archer, and then the female sorcerer.

Satori nods her head at the five. "Your presence is most welcome here." she says.

[Assuming that some of you will wish to speak with the reinforcements.]

With Larissa...
Sherwood Sherwood
[Going to move this plotline along a bit.]

It's not easy for Larissa to see much through the dense foliage, especially if she wants to avoid revealing herself to those below. As she looks around more closely while hovering above the trees, she is able to spot several small tents within the dense forest, as well as numerous white banners that bear images of the sun. From the look of it, this is but a small part of Jinlong's camp, one dedicated to housing some of her troops.

She also spots several of Jinlong's soldiers, men and women, either strolling through the area or relaxing by their tents. Each one wears a reinforced buff jacket with a chopping sword sheathed at their waist, and each one also carries a spear and a metal shield. The few shields Larissa sees all have imagery based upon the sun, typically in the form of a relief; some show a circle with flames on all sides, others a plain circle of bronze or brass, and others a circle with thick straight lines coming out to represent sunbeams.

All of a sudden, Larissa feels a great shadow cast itself over her, before hearing the sound of very heavy wingbeats close by.

[Something is attempting to ambush you. They have a Dex + Stealth dice pool of 8, but are using an excellency to add 4 dice to it. They got 4 successes. Roll Perception + Awareness. Hold until this encounter is resolved.]

jaydude jaydude
Int+occult roll to determine what the dark aura is.

4 sux
Thanks to his knowledge of the occult, Fel is able to recognize the aura surrounding Jarang. It is the telltale sign of a practitioner of Malfean Janissary Style, a pre-Shogunate martial art that allows Dragon-blooded to better combat Anathema by calling upon the powers of Hell. It naturally possesses a degree of popularity with both the Wyld Hunt and House Ledaal, but it does not come without drawbacks; practitioners are said to exude dark auras and suffer from drastically shortened lifespans, and the dark powers being wielded can outright destroy the martial artist in question if they are incapable of controlling them. Perhaps most distressingly, it is believed by some - but not all - that when a practitioner of Malfean Janissary Style dies, their soul does not reenter the cycle of reincarnation, but remains permanently trapped in Hell.

As a result of these drawbacks, Malfean Janissary Style users can command a degree of respect from others who follow the Immaculate Philosophy, owing to the sacrifice they have chosen to make.

Mechanically speaking, Malfean Janissary Style is essentially a copy of Golden Janissary Style in which the detrimental effects apply to Solar and Lunar Exalted as opposed to creatures of darkness. Dragon-blooded practitioners suffer serious drawbacks; their natural lifespans shorten to those of mortals, and they are permanently treated as creatures of darkness, with a noticeable sinister aura. Other issues would not be out of the question, given that they are literally wielding power taken from Hell.

Abyssal and Infernal Exalted can use this martial art without issue, given that they are already creatures of darkness. Sidereal and Solar Exalted can presumably do the same, simply due to their sheer brilliance in the field of martial arts.

Manato observes the procession from a distance unless deliberately approached, making no effort to hide a foul mood. However, he will naturally gravitate toward the rest of the hearth. Even with Seething Drake in the care of his retainers back at the palace, he found it hard not to let his thoughts not slip back to hunting down rogue spirits to quench his wrath. Not like he had much training in doing so, but the prospect of the hunt was rather cathartic. His pipe was in hand, trailing a wispy stream of smoke. Clearly harmless vices were not entirely successful at venting off the excess stress.

"A rather respectable crowd, ominous demeanor excluded." He spoke idly as gray fumes vented with each breath. While their arrival was certainly good news, their total numbers still left much to be desired. Tepet had a much more decisive advantage over the Bull. Yet for all the Bull's losses, he still broke an entire great house with only his Icewalkers and the circle of devils that rallied to him. This one they were about to face had not only her own entourage of Solars but converts as well. Would having the advantage of fortifications be enough when their interior was already compromised? Would their bound spirits be enough to offset the little god sycophants flocking to their new shining demon?

If Asuna was not present, he'd send his message on the wind. Otherwise, he'd merely deliver his comments in person as they reunited. "Afraid I don't have a good report from the temple though it could certainly be worse. While I like what I see here with the reinforcements, I'd prefer if we saw a lot more of them. In the meantime, any other irons in the fire I can help with?"

[Pass. I have nothing urgent to hold the scene for.]

[Something is attempting to ambush you. They have a Dex + Stealth dice pool of 8, but are using an excellency to add 4 dice to it. They got 4 successes. Roll Perception + Awareness. Hold until this encounter is resolved.]
Larissa does her best to keep her awareness spread out and not just focus on the ground below. After all, there are things out here that are a possible threat to her in the air.
Perception + Awareness pool of 8 dice - 5 successes

Health Levels
-0 [ ]
-1 [ ][ ]
-2 [ ][ ]
-4 [ ]
I [ ]

Essence: 2
Personal: 13 / 3
Peripheral: 31 / 20
Committed: 11
Willpower: 6

Parry DV: 5
Dodge DV: 6 (+1 from Air Dragon Form)
Resolve: 2
Guile: 1

Join Battle: 6 + 3i

Soak
Natural: 2 (+2 from hearthstone)
Armored: 5
Total: 9
Hardness: 4

Armor and Weapons
Heavenly Typhoon Infinite Jade Chakram
Thrown:
Type: Light (+10 DMG, 3 OVW, Range: Medium)
Accuracy: +5 Close, +4 Short, +3 Medium
Melee:
Accuracy: +5, +10 DMG, 3 OVW

Midnight Thorn
Type: Light (+5 Soak, Hardness 4, Mobility Penalty −0)
Tags: Concealable
Hearthstone slot(s): 1

Asuna sighs with frustration, "Gods. So unreliable." She looks up at the sky, "Except you, Tachi-Kun. You know I love you."

She waves dismissively at Manato, guessing where his mind is wandering, for her own thoughts have worn deep ruts in that road, "Ah, yes, it is true that we have fewer soldiers of lesser quality, and we face an enemy of arguably greater strength, but you forget my two great advantages over poor Arada. He was operating under the sorely mistaken belief we were coming to save him, and that our spies were telling him the truth. I have neither of those handicaps; I know no one is coming to save me, and my spies are telling me the truth. I plan accordingly."

With those heartening words and a winning smile Asuna sets off to exchange pleasantries with the new arrivals. It simply wouldn't do for any new arrival of quality to go too long without her name on their lips.

[Pass - The only thing Asuna might want to achieve this scene is impressing the newly arrived officers with her wit, charm, and strategic acumen, further laying the groundwork for convincing Satori to let her usurp Kirito in taking overall command. As far as I know, Satori still hasn't given Asuna a formal appointment, so right now she only has command of the mercenaries Manato hired for her. I can roll for being charming/impressive if necessary.]

Sherwood Sherwood
With Larissa...
Some instinct makes Larissa turn and look up just in time to see an eagle of truly gigantic size barreling towards her from above with talons outstretched, and she narrowly manages to get herself out of its way. The eagle swoops past her, but quickly circles around above the forest to come round at her again, the branches of the trees below you both shaking with what must be immense air pressure from the eagle's massive wings.

[Roll Join Battle. The Giant Eagle has a pool of eight dice for this, and is once again using 4m to gain four more dice as per an excellency. Both of you are at medium range from each other, and at long range from the ground.

The Giant Eagle got 7 successes, giving it 10 initiative.]

[I will also pass. I don't have anything worth waiting on me posting for. Fel would greet and recognize the shadow crusaders with honor at coming so soon. As well as giving Jarang the respect she deserves for the sacrifice she made in her commitment against Anathema. ] jaydude jaydude

As Larissa turns and banks away from the giant eagle, she briefly wonders if this is truly a eagle or one of the Moon Mad in another form. In any case, she is in the middle of a fight and needs to watch herself!
Four successes on my Join Battle, giving me a total of 7i

Health Levels
-0 [ ]
-1 [ ][ ]
-2 [ ][ ]
-4 [ ]
I [ ]

Soak

Armor and Weapons
Thrown:
Melee:

Midnight Thorn

With another deafening screech, the giant eagle hurtles towards Larissa, talons large enough to encircle her entire body outstretched and wide open. As it approaches, the Air Aspect is able to spot a circle of bright silver light appear upon its brow. Her fears are true; this is very much a Moon-Mad. Or rather, a Frenzied.

Initiative:
Giant Eagle: 10
Larissa: 7

[Giant eagle moves into short range of Larissa, and takes a rush action against her. It can roll 9 dice for this, and it uses 5 motes of Peripheral Essence to add an additional 5 dice, giving it 14 dice in total and bringing its anima to glowing. It gets 10 successes.

Edit: Didn't specify the Lunar's health levels correctly. He has three levels of Ox-Body Technique, at Stamina 4.]

Health Levels: -0, -1, -1, -2, -2, -2, -2, -2, -2, -2, -2, -4, -4, -4, -4, Incapacitated
Essence: 4
Personal Essence: 15/19
Peripheral Essence: 36/50

Committed Essence: 5

Actions:
Combat Movement: 9 dice (5 for 5m)

Parry 4, Evasion 4

Last edited:
Larissa jinks hard to the side and does her best to keep some distance between them. In a flash, she pulls out her chakram and prepares to fight back.
Six dice on my Dex + Athletics roll = 2 successes

Health Levels
-0 [ ]
-1 [ ][ ]
-2 [ ][ ]
-4 [ ]
I [ ]

Soak

Armor and Weapons
Thrown:
Melee:

Midnight Thorn

Last edited:
The giant eagle follows Larissa with almost contemptuous ease. Once close enough, it bites at her with its great beak (Withering Attack), an aura of silver light surrounding its form.

[The Giant Eagle regains 4m of Personal Essence and 1m of Peripheral. It takes another Move action to get into Close Range, and then launches a Withering Attack. It uses Striking Mospid Method for 3m Personal Essence, allowing it to roll 4 failed dice, as well as 5m Peripheral Essence on its Dexterity Excellency, giving it 17 attack dice and bringing its Anima up to Burning.

It gets 10 successes.]

Health Levels: -0, -1, -1, -2, -2, -2, -2, -2, -2, -2, -2, -4, -4, -4, -4, Incapacitated
Personal Essence: 16/19
Peripheral Essence: 32/50

Actions:

Attacks:
Unarmed: 8 dice (+5 for 5m, Weapon bonus +4, Damage +7)

Parry 4, Evasion 4

Manato winced at Asuna's comparison. He already knew house Sesus played a role in his father's death, but the reminder still stung. "I'd be more mindful of how you boast of your family's exploits, Asuna. Arada is not the only one with blind spots." Manato warned carefully.

Last edited:
Asuna laughs bitterly, "You mistake me, Manato. One does not boast of that one time one's family cost the Realm an entire Direction out of spite. Our Direction. Whatever greatest grandmama's little scheme, her vanishing in the middle of it has done none of us any favours. Heretical though it may be, sometimes she was wrong and someone should have told her so. No one did, mistakes were made, and pretending they did not happen does me no favours. We bear responsibility for ending the Bull. He is a monster of our own creation. He's on my list, somewhere after Satori's whipping girl and the Golden Bandit."

At the city...
Asuna and Fel approach the newly arrived Dynasts. Satori and Kirito introduce Asuna as an officer and military expert on a temporary commission for them. She and Zunoh are both able to identify each other as experts of warfare after just a few lines of conversation, and he, Shushoh, Jarang and Fashi all appear to be attracted to her. Red Tiger on the other hand, being a former Immaculate Monk, seems too passionate about upholding his old vow of celibacy to be tempted. Jarang thanks Fel for recognizing the sacrifice she chose to make for the Shadow Crusade, and she in turn praises him for his own commitment and skill as a warstrider pilot, as do Shushoh and Fashi (They don't know about Emerald Chevalier).

Later...
Some time in the evening, by which point all the reinforcements are settled in and the three Implosion Bows delivered by Zunoh have been set up on the city wall, Satori calls a meeting of her council. The subject is another letter from Jinlong:
Satori,

When I wrote the letter in which I declared my intentions towards you, I was under the impression that you would never change your ways when it came to ruling Kandara. But with the things I have heard from my agents within the capital over the last few days, unbelievable as they were to me, I have been forced to reconsider that assumption, as well as the necessity of fighting you for the sake of the kingdom.

Whatever you and your allies think of me, I do genuinely care for the wellbeing of Kandara and its people. Hence, I am willing to meet with you or your representatives - at a place that is to the liking of both of us - to discuss the establishment of a mutual nonaggression pact. Furthermore, for the time being you can consider there to be a truce between the two of us, provided that no aggressive actions are taken towards me and my forces.

We are encamped at the southwest border of the northeastern forest, a few hours ride from the city. If you are agreeable to the prospect of talks, you may either approach me there, or deliver a message. Otherwise, you may leave correspondence intended for me with the owner of the inn at Xintou village, who will see that it reaches my hands.

Jinlong

From their expressions, Boroma, Satori and the council are all doubtful that Jinlong's just going to cast down her banners and leave, though this is almost certainly coming from their prior teachings about Anathema.

"I see one of two possibilities here." says Boroma. "Either this is a trap of some kind, or Jinlong wants to stand down in a manner that allows her to save face, now that she's no longer certain of an easy victory."

Asuna laughs bitterly, "You mistake me, Manato. One does not boast of that one time one's family cost the Realm an entire Direction out of spite. Our Direction. Whatever greatest grandmama's little scheme, her vanishing in the middle of it has done none of us any favours. Heretical though it may be, sometimes she was wrong and someone should have told her so. No one did, mistakes were made, and pretending they did not happen does me no favours. We bear responsibility for ending the Bull. He is a monster of our own creation. He's on my list, somewhere after Satori's whipping girl and the Golden Bandit."
As brief as the conversation was, Manato was relieved to hear Asuna's response. A faint, tired smile returned to his face. "That we do. We've a long road ahead to work through that list of yours, and I've no intent of letting any of our cousins disrupt our work. Stay safe, my love."

At the city...
Asuna and Fel approach the newly arrived Dynasts. Satori and Kirito introduce Asuna as an officer and military expert on a temporary commission for them. She and Zunoh are both able to identify each other as experts of warfare after just a few lines of conversation, and he, Shushoh, Jarang and Fashi all appear to be attracted to her. Red Tiger on the other hand, being a former Immaculate Monk, seems too passionate about upholding his old vow of celibacy to be tempted. Jarang thanks Fel for recognizing the sacrifice she chose to make for the Shadow Crusade, and she in turn praises him for his own commitment and skill as a warstrider pilot, as do Shushoh and Fashi (They don't know about Emerald Chevalier).

Later...
Some time in the evening, by which point all the reinforcements are settled in and the three Implosion Bows delivered by Zunoh have been set up on the city wall, Satori calls a meeting of her council. The subject is another letter from Jinlong:
Satori,

When I wrote the letter in which I declared my intentions towards you, I was under the impression that you would never change your ways when it came to ruling Kandara. But with the things I have heard from my agents within the capital over the last few days, unbelievable as they were to me, I have been forced to reconsider that assumption, as well as the necessity of fighting you for the sake of the kingdom.

Whatever you and your allies think of me, I do genuinely care for the wellbeing of Kandara and its people. Hence, I am willing to meet with you or your representatives - at a place that is to the liking of both of us - to discuss the establishment of a mutual nonaggression pact. Furthermore, for the time being you can consider there to be a truce between the two of us, provided that no aggressive actions are taken towards me and my forces.

We are encamped at the southwest border of the northeastern forest, a few hours ride from the city. If you are agreeable to the prospect of talks, you may either approach me there, or deliver a message. Otherwise, you may leave correspondence intended for me with the owner of the inn at Xintou village, who will see that it reaches my hands.

Jinlong

From their expressions, Boroma, Satori and the council are all doubtful that Jinlong's just going to cast down her banners and leave, though this is almost certainly coming from their prior teachings about Anathema.

"I see one of two possibilities here." says Boroma. "Either this is a trap of some kind, or Jinlong wants to stand down in a manner that allows her to save face, now that she's no longer certain of an easy victory."
By this point in the day, Manato already burned through more tobacco than he had on an average day with his pipe seeing no hope of rest. Among the company of Satori's council, Manato felt largely numb at the news. It was a report he'd both expected and dreaded for a few days now. The Anathema calling for a parley. The thought made him want to break everything in the damn room and leave it little more than a pile of smoking soot.

This corrupted handmaiden had displayed more sincere concern for Realm citizens than his Exalted kin time and time again. Each reminder stoked his blood to boiling over. How could he watch this travesty keep unfolding like this? How dare this wench keep enticing him with his own reforms if he'd just spit on the graves of his forebears and spurn the household that set him loose on this rotting Realm of fallen serpeants? Not to mention each of his companions with their own grudges against these devils. Curse those scum-sucking paper pushers in Yu Shan for weaving such a thoroughly sadistic prank.

"They don't need a trap." Manato replies coldly. "I volunteer to speak with them if that's what you want." The fire aspect knew that much of the elders in this room understood how much of a gamble conflict with her host really was. Much of the leadership here was no doubt prepared to take any measure that would save their lives and their station if they could do it while saving face. Manato, however, believed his hearth was ready for a fight. Backing down now would only upset Xandra, Fel, Larissa, and possibly Asuna. All of them committed so much to helping this broken Satrapy hold, to yield now left a sour taste. Were there to even be a discussion, he was happy to be their voice.

Last edited:
At first Asuna feels numb, her mask frozen in polite indifference. It happens, of course. The spectre of death, looming so large on the horizon one minute only to suddenly evaporate like a southern mirage the next. The feelings it evokes are always complex. There's the quiet, private relief that everyone feels but no one speaks of. The elation that comes from the lifting of the pressing weight of future strife from the soul, the sudden unwinding of a tension that's built for days, weeks, or months. The disappointment, for no one under the shadow of forlorn battle for so long without deserting does not whisper to themselves - and loudly proclaim to others - the worthiness of their cause and the glory ahead. The anger, for being subjected to this torment only to have the illusory prize snatched away at the last moment, for being made to feel this relief that reeks of cowardice.

Anger is almost always the easiest available option. Asuna latches onto it like a lifeline and stokes it, all but snarling when the mask breaks, "Fuck. Her. The hubris to think she can raise arms against a tributary of the greatest empire in Creation, conquer one of our allies, stop a day's march from the gates of another, suddenly have a change of heart, and have us leap at the chance to treat with Anathema as a legitimate foreign power. An armistice? A non-aggression pact? Who the fuck does she think she is? Has she forgotten who we are?"

Who the fuck does she think I am? How dare she think herself so terrifying I might consider this humiliation. How dare she be right.

Last edited:
The giant eagle follows Larissa with almost contemptuous ease. Once close enough, it bites at her with its great beak (Withering Attack), an aura of silver light surrounding its form.

[The Giant Eagle regains 4m of Personal Essence and 1m of Peripheral. It takes another Move action to get into Close Range, and then launches a Withering Attack. It uses Striking Mospid Method for 3m Personal Essence, allowing it to roll 4 failed dice, as well as 5m Peripheral Essence on its Dexterity Excellency, giving it 17 attack dice and bringing its Anima up to Burning.

It gets 10 successes.]

Personal Essence: 16/19
Peripheral Essence: 32/50

Actions:

Attacks:
Unarmed: 8 dice (+5 for 5m, Weapon bonus +4, Damage +7)

Parry 4, Evasion 4
With the giant eagle advancing on her, Larissa prepares herself for a nasty fight. Focusing her will on her Essence, she instinctively goes into the protective katas of the Air Dragon training that she knows, drawing deep on her Essence reserves in order to be able to evade the wicked claws of the eagle.
Spending 8m Peripheral to activate Air Dragon Form that raises my Dodge DV by one, and 8 more motes from Threshold Warding Stance to increase my DV to 11 to be able to dodge the attack. This puts me at the totemic level of my Anima banner.

Can I still perform a Withering attack at this point?

Health Levels
-0 [ ]
-1 [ ][ ]
-2 [ ][ ]
-4 [ ]
I [ ]

Peripheral: 31 / 9

Soak

Armor and Weapons
Thrown:
Melee:

Midnight Thorn

Last edited:
With the deadly claws being so close, Larissa waits for the best moment to strike, then lashes out with her chakram, hoping to take this giant eagle and serve it some sense for being so foolish as to attack one of the Chosen of the Dragons. Then again, if this 'giant eagle' is really one of the Moon Mad, it may take a great many lessons for it to learn that lesson.
Spending 2m from Become The Hammer to raise my to-hit pool to a total of 20
total of 9 successes to hit

Air Dragon Form Active

Health Levels
-0 [ ]
-1 [ ][ ]
-2 [ ][ ]
-4 [ ]
I [ ]

Personal: 13 / 8
Peripheral: 31 / 2

Soak

Armor and Weapons
Thrown:
Accuracy:
+5 Close, +4 Short, +3 Medium
Melee:

Midnight Thorn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back