• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Exalted 3E - Tale of a Falling Empire IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Asuna coughs to avoid laughing and rolls her eyes, then makes a show of checking her dress for pockets. Finding none, she sighs theatrically in disappointment, "Alas. Someone didn't give me any."

"Oh give it time. I'm sure some will turn up sooner or later." Manato added with a wink as he reached for her hand. "As for actually solving our numbers problem in a timely manner, I'd need to do a bit of research and possibly lean on the services of a spellcaster. Not quite as theatrical as my pocket, but I s'pose I can come up with something with a bit of effort. Is it a problem if I borrow your library?"

Fel gave Manato a wry smile. "None of the good soldiers pull out." He commented. "But alas, I'm afraid I left my last thousand warriors in my other robes. However, I'm sure with the Dynasts from the party, we may be able to count on their retainers and bodyguards being added to the ranks of the defense here. And should we be able to incite a sense of loyalty amongst the citizens here. And should things get desperate enough. Some of the commoners could be convinced to militia."

At Manato's inquiry about sorcerers. "Summoning? My weaving and repetoire of my spells is not very impressive. I focused my studies on more tangible arcana. However, depending on what plans me and Kessi have, I should be able to find time to aid in any sorcerous workings that we attempt."

Fel's remark left Manato wondering if his joke was misinterpreted. He had a somewhat puzzled look on his face even before he considered the actual question. "Ah, it doesn't matter who performs the summoning. I just assumed someone within reach could. Still, any bound or allied spirits would be an improvement over none. Much like I can't sire a battle-ready legion in a week, I can't imagine it'd be a quick and easy process to conjure a retinue of saboteurs and counter-saboteurs."

"Now that I think about it... Assuming this siege takes awhile, would it make a noticeable drain on supplies?" The Fire Aspect stood in a thoughtful posture. "Hm, I've never had to consider what a sorcerer deals with in managing an entourage before."

Last edited:
Asuna squeezes Manato's proffered hand gently and smiles at him. When he mentions the logistics of sorcerers, she clicks her tongue in frustration, "She deals with nothing, because I do it. Fifteen wagons worth of reagents and materials. What does she even do with that much sulfur? Fresh carcasses every night. Billets for a personal guard twenty four strong. Priority selection on quarters. At least four chambers, one reinforced. If I can't find one, I must have it built before anyone gets to sleep. The list goes on."

The Dynasts of Kandara have remained silent during your conversation, but upon seeing a lull in it, Kirito speaks up.

"To answer your questions, the walls around this city are high and strong. The beastmen and mortal troops will be unable to scale them without climbing equipment, and even an Anathema would have a hard time destroying them. That said, Lunar Anathema typically possess the ability to transform into various animals. One could turn into a spider and crawl up the walls, or turn into a bird and simply fly over them, after which point it would be little trouble for them to snoop around the."

"In terms of artifacts and hearthstones, we have some we can spare, but most of the ones we possessed that weren't being used by us were sent back to the Blessed Isle." he continues. "Still, a lot of Dynasts around here know how to recall their weapons and armor from the elements, so it's unlikely any of them will be fighting while under-equipped. As for other supplies, by my last count there's enough in the city to last us all for at least a few months, provided we ration properly. The populace might not be too happy, but we're already on thin ice with them anyway."

"Couldn't we just ship in additional supplies from the sea?" asks Satori. "I mean, Jinlong's marching from the northeast, so it doesn't sound like she has any kind of naval power."

"True, but there's still the matter of those Lunar Anathema. For all we know, at least one of them can turn into a gigantic sea monster." replies Kirito. "We have to be aware of the worst-case scenario, which in this case is us being completely entrapped here."

Al-Sakhawi gives a shrug. "My people have battled gigantic sea monsters before. And a number of us have participated in Wyld Hunts. If the Lunar Anathema wish to fight us on the water, we will not be caught unprepared." he says, he and Mabuka having remained impassive as Jinlong's message was read out.

"With regards to the spirit courts, I did make some inquiries there." replies Sengon. "The Immaculate Order has spiritual contacts across the region, and from what they've told us so far, Jinlong hasn't reached out for their help yet. Maybe doing so hasn't occurred to her yet."

Satori then looks at Manato. "You may make use my library, and anything else in the Dragon District as you see fit. My council and I will provide you and your friends with whatever help we can."

"That includes with regard to spiritual and sorcerous matters." Zadari says in an ethereal voice, smiling at the Fire Aspect. "As court sorcerer here, I am more than capable of summoning elementals and demons, as well as performing a number of other spells, including Infallible Messenger and Obsidian Butterflies."

Last edited:
Manato gives a nod. "Very well, sounds like we're in good order to get started. Zadari, if you would be so kind, please begin as many summonings as you can manage unless other priorities come up. We'll need every unseen servant we can get our hands on. Burrowers, saboteurs, combatants, anything can help us tip the scales. So if supplies or materials become an issue, let my steward know and we'll make it happen. In the meantime, I'll see what information I can dig up from the archives, anyone's free to join in if they wish." Manato offered, intentionally giving Asuna an excuse to pry into the Satrap's documents and business if she chose to. "I still have to make overtures to placate the populace and spirit courts soon as well." He added with a sigh. "Ah, well... no good deed goes unpunished." With a polite wave and a smile, he departed from the meeting to get to work.

For the next few hours, Manato sat on a couch perusing a multitude of books, scrolls, and loose documents. As much time as he had to drink in the society of Kandara, now was the time to let the history, politics, and geography percolate in his mind. It wasn't until he scanned shipping manifestos that something struck him as odd.

Nearly a season ago there was a significant supply of redacted reagents to be remitted to the isle. "Where there's smoke..." He mumbled, standing up from the couch to take in the layout of the room again. He looked to one of his staff, noting various documents stored in the library, helping the fire aspect filter his search to pertinent information. "Sandra, I need anything you can find on this supplier here... Akarukan hold. I don't see that on the maps."

Manato continued to scan through previous shipping logs. Akarukan hold had been consistently delivering redacted materials for more than a few mortal generations. Tracing back the files, he eventually found the date of when shipments started, roughly 120 years ago. "Alright, I want to see policies, agreements, treaties... anything that fits in this date range. If it's what I think it is, we've got a winner here."

After another hour of shuffling papers, Manato reached for a hefty tome from that decade, decrees of Peleps Ranari, 34th Satrap of Kandara. When he pulled the mountainous volume from the shelve it nearly slid from his grip into the floor. The sudden quake of comparatively ancient parchments tossed an envelope from between the pages into the well-kept floors of the palace's library. Manato, knelt down to examine it, stamped on its exterior was "Akarukan Pact" and the familiar emblem of a gazing eye.

When Manato reported back to the group at large, in his hands was a folded treatise with a wax seal of the All-Seeing Eye. The Akarukan pact was written as a "cordial understanding" between the Satrapy of Kandara and the once Shogunate mining facility Akarukan hold. The agreement names Kandara as the sole conduit of export for a nominal fee, in exchange for a mutual defense pact against invaders or looters on the now imperial installation. In addition, Kandara was obligated to redact all goods in transit from written record, lest they attract unwanted barbarous scrutiny in its formal non-existence.

Manato handed over the document for Satori's review adding with a smile, "With a bit of word study, the name Akarukan appears to be a bastardized abbreviation for the words Bright Crest. I think between the seal, the secrecy, and the name it's safe to say Kandara's been shuffling wish metal back home, wouldn't you agree? Regardless, you've a formal document here that entitles you to reinforcements from an imperial garrison. All things considered, I hope they are well equipped to deliver on their promise."

[As discussed in OOC, establishing the fact of a nearby orichalcum mine Akarukan hold shipping their supplies through Kandara. Also establishing that they have a written pact with which the Satrap can request military aid. As a consequence, this raises the stakes of defeat. If Kandara falls, Solars could skim their favorite magic metal from the Realm. Full excellencies on all rolls, because we can't afford to play with kid gloves right now. 9 successes on declaring the mine, 7 for the pact.]

Last edited:
Satori grins as she looks down at the documents Manato has given her. "I've seen the garrison at Akarukan before. From what I observed, they're one of the Realm forces that have yet to be commandeered - or perhaps plundered is the correct word - by the Great Houses. I've little doubt that they'll be able to deliver." she says thoughtfully. "I didn't know I had the right to call upon them for defence though, but that might have been for the best. Before last night, I'd probably have found a way to squander them somehow."

With that admission out of the way, she turns her smile to the Fire Aspect. "You have my thanks for delivering this gem to me, Manato. You may rest assured that I will send word to this garrison, asking them to send us what aid they can."

[OOC: Seeing as this is a fact you introduced, how many troops and Dynasts were you expecting Akarukan to bring, Rykon Rykon ? Also, is it close enough for the reinforcements to arrive before Jinlong's army?]

Her expression then becomes a little troubled looking. "I had Sengon and others - namely agents of Voruna's within the city - start spreading the word among the citizenry that I would begin working to improve their lot in life. So far however, we've struggling to make any headway." she says. "We were already facing an uphill struggle to restore people's trust in us, but the Cult of the Illuminated have been out and about in force since the start of this morning. They're telling everyone about Jinlong and how she'll soon be here to liberate them from the Realm, and they're also giving out warnings not to accept my change of heart, or any gifts I might offer them. They say that my council and I are insincere, that we are trying to placate them solely to hold onto our power here, and that we will revert back to our old ways if Jinlong is defeated."

[There's been a timeskip of a few hours since the events of my last post. Is there anything that anyone else wishes to do during that time? If not, I have one last bit of information that I wish to share with you all, but otherwise I'm ready to pass.]

"Then how about showing them how sincere you are, Satori." Fel suggested. "It is not difficult to understand the concept of what they believe. Peasants are quite impressionable, especially through what they personally experience. Even if you were to give them gifts, they would not likely see it as more than a bribe. Appeal to their honor, and it would not be be farfetched to expect them to look back and believe you failed them."

"If you are truly wanting to win their hearts. It may not be a bad idea to give them what they want. Or. What they perceive they want. I am not suggesting stepping down, or surrendering. But our options are limited, as we do need them for this endeavor. However, an act of suffiecient pennance of some sort could show your sincerity, and by holding yourself accountable in that way it could take away the power the Illuminated have in convincing the people that you are irredeemable."

[Just a post in response. But I'm willing to pass if my suggestion doesn't hold any merit.]

Asuna drafts a coded message home explaining the situation in brief, and delivers it to Ragara Zadari with a polite request she send it by Infallible Messenger to one of Asuna's household servants on the Blessed Isle. She writes a longer coded report detailing the situation for delivery by House courier.

---

Asuna nods thoughtfully, "An excellent suggestion, Fel, especially in concert with Manato's reforms. In my unsolicited opinion, the facade of a check on your power is the sort of penance that would do wonders to placate the mob. I would identify well respected community leaders popular with the people to form a ruling council for the Satrapy, put the young King at its head, and have him appoint you a permanent advisor. The smaller the council, the better, as it makes it easier to manipulate and blackmail as necessary. Make it quietly clear this is not your wish, but being imposed upon you. Your initiatives are unlikely to be popular in the current climate, and people will be more receptive to an initiative that could be construed as your comeuppance. Give the council broad powers to solve the problems the people are most upset about, but not to manage defense of the Satrapy. That is, after all, your purview as Satrap under Imperial law. When the council cannot magically solve all their problems, the people's ire will naturally shift to them, but it will be lessened and their understanding greater for their love of the figures responsible. They will also have a grace period while they establish themselves, during which the people will be broadly optimistic. What problems they do solve will immediately simplify the problems we face in defending the city. Your power is then limited only by your ability to manipulate a small number of mortals, and you no longer bear personal responsibility for everything that ails the people. I can aid with the selection of candidates and ensuring they remain... pliable, if you so wish it. We are, as always, at your disposal."

Last edited:
Fel chuckled, "Far more elaborate and useful than what I was thinking. And here I would have chosen a whip or cane. To bite the leather and take it like a champ, and move on past, having learned to never sleep on watch again. But, your idea might be much more suited to the political sphere than mine."

He turned to look at Satori,"An act of pennance, in whatever form, will only be seen as a sincere apology if it is proportional to the offense and in a nature appeasing to the party you are reaching to. As such, whatever done can not be seen as you receiving a slap on the wrist."

Satori looks doubtful with regards to Fel's suggestion, but appears interested in Asuna's idea. "That does sound useful with regards to governance." she admits to the Water Aspect. "I'll look into it, but who's to say it won't be interpreted as a trick of mine, a scheme I've concocted to sway the people and keep my hold on power? It's in the interest of the Cult of the Illuminated to keep popular opinion turned against me, and they seem to be wise as to what we're attempting to do here."

"And speaking of the king," she then says after taking a deep breath. "I didn't want to mention it in front of him, but I fear he might be a security risk in this situation. You probably don't know this, and I should have mentioned it earlier, but the main reason I killed his father and predecessor was because he'd been caught writing letters to the Anathema who'd seized control of Jiara, asking for their support in overthrowing me and the Realm."

"Perfect Soul and her people aren't likely to join the fight against us, especially with Mnemon and her legions now in the area." she then says reassuringly, as if to forestall any panic her previous statement might have generated. "Still, the fact remains that the previous king was willing to conspire against me with Anathema, and I wouldn't put it past his son to consider following his example, especially with all that's happened.."

"Vorona's already got his agents among the palace servants keeping an eye on the king, and I myself have assigned extra guards to watch over him. Officially I've bumped up his security detail in response to the threat of Jinlong, but unofficially I'm making sure he's watched every hour of the day, and doesn't have any opportunity to commit treason against the Realm." she then explains. Indeed, the five of you will by now have observed the presence of additional guards around Boroma, and the more intrigue-savvy among you might have noticed that, while said guards do seem genuinely interested in protecting him, they also appear to be more interested in keeping an eye on him. Asuna of course will have been informed about this state of affairs beforehand, owing to the presence of her own people within the ranks of the palace spies.

[OOC: I've said all I need to for the moment, so pass.]

Asuna nods and smiles, "It was not difficult to deduce. I would do the same in his position. Jinlong's not so subtle nod to his legitimacy in her letter merely confirmed my suspicions. This is not a flaw in the plan, but one of its strengths. The council serves to dilute his power while placing him nominally in charge. The Cult of the Illuminated has put much work into bolstering his legitimacy, and so he makes an ideal figurehead. So long as you maintain control over the majority of councillors, he can be effectively neutralized as a political threat while significantly boosting popular confidence in the body."

"Revolutions and rebellions are something of a... hobby for my family," she adds by way of wry explanation. "This is hardly the first revolution I've nipped in the bud - nor incited."

Manato listens to the conversation with a satisfied smile as the pieces of his plan start to fall into place. Many of his kinship speaking before he even had to. "I'm glad we all appear to be on the same page. I am confident that stepping away from the regency and relaxing tax policy into the future will largely ease tensions over the long-term. Everything that should address these issues I believe we've already set in motion. They will need time to see the follow through on policy, enforcement, and the growth of the businesses that pay their wages." Manato said with a shrug. "There's not much that can turn public opinion in an instant when many have already been indoctrinated to violence." At least, not much that I'd care to let others know about. "Patience and consistency will have to suffice."

"As for Boroma... I advise caution in smothering him too much. I'd rather not given him a reason to follow in his father's footsteps. In the meantime, I am highly curious to see what kind of regent he seeks."

[Pass.]

With all important matters having apparently been dealt with, Satori politely dismisses all of you from the room. She, Javald, Voruna and Boroma then spend a good part of the evening discussing the proposed ruling council, specifically who to appoint for it. Manato, Asuna and anyone else in the kinship are invited to join in on the discussion if they wish.

In any case, it is soon decided to only appoint mortal patricians, what with there being so much anti-Dynast sentiment in Kandara, and Asuna's suggestion of picking people whom are liked by the populace is also heralded by the Dynasts. Known attitudes and ambitions of potential members are also considered, to reduce the risk of the council growing too big for its boots, but things like money, power and other means of influence are also evaluated, to try and give the council an air of legitimacy and authority.

It's only late at night when Asuna receives a list of five names selected by Satori, her council and Boroma. Were she to research the quintet, she will find little issue with any of them. Manato meanwhile is informed that Boroma has chosen for his regent one Sagacious Owl, a wise and elderly patrician who had previously served as his tutor before Satori had him banished from the palace.

The next morning, once the five of you have had breakfast and completed any morning ablutions, Satori calls upon you all to attend another meeting. Entering the room, you see Satori and her council sat down around the table, along with Boroma and Mabuka. Al-Sakhawi left with his entourage the previous day to begin co-ordinating the efforts of his corsairs, a thousand of which he currently has in the area. When Jinlong's army arrives and besieges the city, him and his people will do their best to ship supplies in via the inland seas, while also harassing Jinlong from the coast, a task for which, as he proudly declared, his people have been suited for generations.

Seats and refreshments have been provided for you all, and once everyone is sat down, conversations begin. Kirito informs you all that the first one thousand of the five thousand reinforcements he had promised within the week are expected to arrive this afternoon, with the rest following over the next few days. The majority of them are a collection of soldiers from various pro-Realm territories within the region who will prove a decent substitution for official Realm soldiers. Mabuka then chimes in with the information that a merchant caravan of his will reach the city gates by the end of the morning, bringing with it a large amount of food and other essentials. His plan is to give these supplies away to the populace in order to try and placate them, but he will contribute them to the city stores if such a scheme looks likely to fall through. Satori then tells everyone that the Akarukan reinforcements Manato informed her about - two thousand, five hundred soldiers with three Implosion Bows - are on a fast march towards the city, and predicts that they will arrive just before Jinlong does.

"There is one more matter I wish to discuss with you all." Satori then says, looking at the five of you. "As per Asuna's suggestion from yesterday's mission, Boroma and my council have agreed upon the creation of a patrician council, to be chaired by him, in the hope of addressing the concerns of the populace regarding our...previous manner of governance. I plan to announce this to the people of the city this afternoon."

She gives the five of you an expectant gaze, wanting to hear your opinions on the matter.

Asuna bites her tongue. Metaphorically, of course, because first of all, ow, and second that would defeat the purpose of pointedly not saying, "Oh, honey, would you like a cookie for doing exactly what they taught you to do in your first Satrapial Management class at the Spiral Academy?" No. Bad Asuna. Do not be vicious to people you like. Sorry, Fel. Especially not people you want to sleep with (unless they're into that, which Satori decidedly is not). Sorry, Fel. Even when you think it would be funny. Especially when you think it would be funny. Just give the very pretty woman all the cookies she wants.

Asuna briefly considers the implications of her libido being the moral voice of reason in this bedlam, then quickly discards that thought as dangerous and gives Satori a bright encouraging smile and soft but enthusiastic applause. "Congratulations! I think you will find yourself much happier with this arrangement. Do give them a good show. It will be cathartic for them to see exactly how much you hate these concessions. This will give you more time to focus on what really matters, and on that note I'm delighted to see our allies coming through for us. Our chances of survival improve by the minute. You'll lead us through this yet, Satrap."

[Pass]

Last edited:
Xandra does all she can to avoid laughing out loud at this. If her years in the Legions have taught her nothing else, it is how to discipline herself to avoid such mistakes. Taking a moment to sip from her wine glass, she finally says, "This move should go far to help ease the tensions in the city. We must still be careful, however, in the fact that there may be Exalted in the city that will actively try to incite trouble."

Covert Operations
It was the dawn of the first day and the opportunity to cause trouble was magnificently plentiful. Manato scribed a chain of missives, each in generic riverspeak caligraphy void of stylistic flare, as if penned by a personal scribe. Each letter wove a deceptive narrative of honeyed promises, intense greed, and vengeful ambition. A grand plot woven between two old friends to enact the greatest, bloodiest con of their lifetime. These fictitious letters slated to be exchanged between a prophet and a self-described regal personality signed merely as 'J'. The most recent note ended with the following passage.

I've received your last report, and I am well pleased. The army stands ready to spill the blood that protected them for an age. The taste of Yangofu still drips from their lips as I write. That coveted mine will soon yield its bounty to our cause and the summoning of our great beast will be nigh at hand. Protect your charges well, for our moon drunk escort hungers and they will not suffer a fast for long. If your count of the illuminated is not up to your last report, well... this coup will be far bloodier than planned. See that none suspect your purpose my prophet. This stop is but one of many.

-J

When Manato finished weaving his fanciful narrative he passed this off to a Sesus retainer as his lover slept. "If you could do your lady and I a favor... Deliver this in secret to the speaker's house in a place where he might keep things he'd prefer unseen, but not so well hidden someone couldn't discover it with a touch of effort."

[The letters will either be revealed naturally, or intentionally at a later point for dramatic effect. Whether they are believed or not is of small consequence. What matters is starting the whisper of 'what if?' I'll make an influence roll when it becomes narratively important.]

The Public Appearance

Manato leaves the meeting and changes into attire more suitable for travel. An ostentatious display would hinder his purpose. Upon making his way to the town square before the temple he called the people for an official announcement, a smile upon his face.

"Ladies and gentlemen of Kandara, of the Realm. I have genuinely good news to share with you all, I'll even try to be brief. Since arriving among you and your people, my companions and I have born witness to the great and terrible pain that eats away at the fabric of this Satrapy. This has been made clear to your Satrap, Lady Satori. Despite the many demands and burdens placed upon the Threshold from the Isle, your Satrap has decided to take up the challenge of reform. Starting today, we begin a month-long tax holiday. All taxes paid for the last week are to be refunded."

Manato extended an arm, casting attention to several bookkeepers attended with a guard detachment prepared to fulfill on the promise. "Going forward, income taxes are to be abolished for every citizen of Kandara. Only businesses operated by parties not native to your home will have the burden of a modest income tax. Furthermore, all other taxes will be replaced with a mere one-tenth of every sale."

The fire aspect now extended both arms to the crowd as he raised his voice. "How can this be? Why should we trust this? Fair questions all. To those I have answers. There are those of us who want to see all our people prosper. This satrapy has had a harsh history of late. Hearts broke and hardened then broke again over and over both among you and among your leaders. Such high demands come from the Isle to all its tributaries and your leaders believed you all strong enough to bear it. This has gone on longer than any of us would like, and it's clear we must find a new way forward together. So, we children of the Dragons are looking for alternatives to satisfy the high price of tribute. Meanwhile, we are prepared to put our faith in you all once again."

"Kandara has survived through resilient spirits. Strong men and women will be emerging among you surely forged by our current trials. Your reward, your skills, and your tenacity are your own and none can take it from you. All of this that we bring is not ours to bestow in charity, but the fruit of your hard work for you to make your homeland a shining example for all to marvel at. Take heart friends, neighbors, and esteemed citizens of the Realm. Your labors will grow your wealth, your family, and your future for as long as we all draw breath! Now, I leave you to enjoy the rest of your day." He concluded, now stepping aside with a satisfied grin as currency and supplies were to be distributed to the people.

Manato had no doubt, many still hated the satrap and the dynasty but today they could all sleep with full bellies to smother their lingering hatred.

[Manato starts by inspiring an emotion of relief, then instills a principle that a Kandaran can make their own way with their own hands. Full excellency on two oratory performance rolls...]

Evening Adventure
After the speech Manato made time for another trip, announcing his intent to the kinship before departing in the event complications arose. He took an alchemical compound into his hands and washed it through his hair. Red pigment dripped from his head leaving only a dark auburn smolder. He donned a worn burlap cloak over humble linens, same as a merchant's hired hand or wandering minstrel might wear and made way to the local taverns for a drink.

There he sat, taking in a few rounds of a local brew as dark as they made it. His ears took in the sounds of the working men and women, the rumors on their lips, and the weight on their hearts as the scent of their meals filled the building. Here he could steal a glimmer of inspiration for his next scheme, perhaps even make a drinking buddy or two. Of the conversations he held, he merely introduced himself as 'Keph' a traveling musician, interested in seeing what kinds of stories and songs people shared here.

He'd return at nightfall and resume his normal attire and appearance to participate in festivities and other planning as necessary.

[Just a small note of time spent observing what's going on in the town proper.]

Manato attends the meeting somewhat distracted with a hint of fatigue on his face. Hearing Satori ask for commentary left him somewhat off-balance, most of it being mere execution of what was already decided until his mind caught up to the report of reinforcement. He listened to Asuna give her reply, barely stifling the reflex to speak the words 'Extra subtle today I see? What's the occasion?' Better judgment won the day and he merely focused on the reports of reinforcements.

"Three more implosion bows then? Four makes it easy to keep us from being outmaneuvered. Certainly good news. I'm sure when you make your address we'll be able to gauge the direction of public opinion for ourselves. Still, there's a lot of work left to do." He stifled a yawn, then took a cup of black coffee in hand to help focus for another day of work and play. "Regardless, this project of ours is going to take patience. Try not to let yourself take their resentment to heart."

[9 successes to spread relief to the people, only 6 successes to follow up with the principle "A Kandaran can make their own way with their own hands"]

Last edited:
During the public appearance...
Those listening to Manato's speech were initially sceptical at his words. Reductions and cancellations of taxes? Satori changing her tune with regards to reforms? A Dynast showing something other than contempt for mortals? Before long, plenty of people within the crowd looked like they were expecting Manato to claim the Pole of Fire had frozen over.

That said, many more appeared to believe his words, thanks in no small part to the Fire Aspect's Dragon-blessed charisma, as well as his act of charity. Some people even smiled gratefully at him and his people when they received their supplies. A handful of others however - one of them with a red ring she had carved into her forehead with a knife - glared balefully at the Fire Aspect. They were almost certainly Cult of the Illuminated members, and they'd clearly recognized Manato's efforts today as an attempt to sway people back to the Realm. They didn't try anything that day, presumably not wanting to take their chances against a Dragon-blooded, but instead turned and left without making any effort to claim anything.

As he watched them leave, some instinct told Manato that he and his friends would be hearing from the Cult of the Illuminated at some point before Jinlong's arrival...

Present day...
Satori nods at Manato, then leans back in her seat. "I can't say I'm really looking forward to...humbling myself in such a manner." she admits, looking at Asuna. "Still, given the circumstances, I suppose I don't have much choice."

"I will be accompanying the Satrap to the town square, where she will be making her speech." Sengon then says. "And while this might be a bit much to ask, would any of you be willing to join us? I fear the Cult of the Illuminated will try and make trouble again."

"Having Manato there in particular will help." says Javald. "The people are beginning to recognize his efforts at charity, and it would be good to associate them with Satori. Even if only partially."

"Oh, but of course. The Cult of the Illuminated wouldn't miss it for the world and so naturally neither would we."

As a quiet aside she leans into Manato, "You didn't tell me you were such a hero of the people. I do love a man who can command the hearts of the mob. Being lynched is so dreadfully inconvenient. It does terrible things to my complexion. It's almost enough to make me forgive you for not inviting me to your impromptu concert. I can be discreet, I promise." Asuna gives her best unconvincing performance, "Why hello stranger, whom I certainly don't recognize but find myself undeniably attracted to. What a pleasure it is to meet you for the first time. Oh, and you sing? You don't say..."

"Agreed. I rather hope the Illuminated try something. Otherwise, I'd be concerning myself with what else they might be up to." Manato gave a friendly smile, then turned to Voruna as if suddenly remembering to stay within the lines of formality. "Ah, then again, that's not my job, is it? Do let us know if we can be of assistance."

Manato let out a quiet chuckle at Asuna's teasing. "There's plenty of things I haven't told you. I never said you weren't welcome to join me, for one. Perhaps we can make time after this speech if you'd like. I'm sure this upcoming event will have an interesting reaction, to say the least."

[Pass, I've nothing left to add to the current scene that I can think of.]

Last edited:
That afternoon sees Satori - and any other Dynast who wishes to accompany her - getting into a stagecoach, to be taken to the town square for her speech. She's wearing another white robe, this one considerably less ostentatious than the ones she usually wears, clearly not wanting to flaunt the wealth common to Dynasts in front of the impoverished Kandarans. She probably could have gone for a more humble outfit, but there's probably only so much humility she can display without coming off as fake.

A group of two-dozen city watch on horseback accompany the stagecoach as it moves through the city. Many citizens pause in their daily business to watch intrigued, as the stagecoach and its entourage go past, some even opting to follow it. Inside, Satori takes several deep breaths, the proud Earth Aspect struggling to hold herself together as the moment when she must publicly admit her failings grows ever closer.

By the time the stagecoach arrives at the town square, several hundred people are gathered to hear what Satori has to say. As a measure of protection, several dozen guardsmen, armed with spears and shields, stand ready by the fountain to react to any riot, along with two-dozen mortal Immaculate Monks, with Sengon, Tahaki and Ulurro not far away. For the moment, the mood in the square is largely peaceful, with no apparent sign of either the speaker, or the Cult of the Illuminated.

The stagecoach and its escort travel into the ranks of the guards and Illuminated before Satori, as composed as she's ever going to be in this kind of situation, gets out. Any murmuring within the crowd stops at the sight of the hated satrap, with many shooting her hateful looks instead. Satori for her part stares back at them coolly, displaying as much emotion as a rock can when it's surrounded by workers at a quarry, before turning around and standing up on the edge of the fountain. All the better to be seen and heard.

"When I was but a child, starting to learn how the world worked, I was taught about the Dragon-blooded." she begins in flawless but accented Low Realm, her reluctance to speak only half-faked. "I was taught that to be a Dragon-blooded was to be the accumulation of ages spent walking the road towards enlightenment. To be blessed and born with wisdom beyond anything one could hope to attain in a mortal lifetime. To be unable to make any decisions that could be construed as wrong, unwise, or deserving of scorn."

She takes a deep breath. "But since the disappearance of the Scarlet Empress, I have done nothing but..." she continues, before being cut off by a series of angry yells and shouts as one cluster of the crowd pushes forward to the front of it. Now more visible, you see that most of them are wearing the gold-colored sashes common to the Cult of the Illuminated, with a few bearing images of the sun on their foreheads, either painted on or marked with knives. At the head of their group is none other than the speaker.

"You think to fool us with this false display of humility, Satori? On top of the scraps your people have been tossing to us, like bits of meat to a dog you have whipped?" he asks loudly, his voice carrying across the crowd. "We all know that this is nothing but an act! Once you no longer consider Jinlong a threat, you and your cohorts will go straight back to your old ways of oppressing us!"

All the people surrounding the speaker let out deafening shouts of agreement, whilst many in the crowd look to be wavering between him and Satori, unable to just ignore the logic behind his words.

[Hold. Right now you have a crowd of about several hundred people, at least a hundred of which have Major or Defining Ties that are either negative towards Satori and the Realm, or positive towards Jinlong. The rest have yet to commit to either side here, but you'd be well-advised to assume that many have negative Minor Ties towards Satori and the Realm.]

"Do you know that? Really? Truly?" Manato bellows out into the crowd as he steps forward. His face shows an unconcealable degree of disgust and condescension toward the speaker. "You wield lies and accusation as any false prophet would." The fire aspect felt his temper stoke, awakening an inferno for blending the purest steel from the harshest ores.

"How can you have the audacity to criticize the rule of the Exalted as tyrannical and unjust and in the same breath preach obeisance to your self proclaimed Celestial Exalted? Do you think these people are dumb enough to trust another, self-described 'higher authority' with the same blindness they had before? Your own followers are painting and mutilating themselves like chattel for you to spend like dirtied scrip. I'm tired of watching this feeble carcass of a man galavant about this square with weak rhetoric not even backed with conviction! It's time I pull the curtain back on your sick game, wretch."

Manato turned to the people. "You, good people of Kandara, tell us what it is you want. Do you trust a golden terrorist inciting rebellion and division in your lands? Do you trust her to immediately end her acts of war against you when they have you kneeling and drooling like rabid animals carving themselves up in the streets? Or... Do you want to live your lives your way? We see a path forward where Kandaran people can build their own path forward, with the fruit of their own works in their own hands. We see a world where even the Princes of the Earth will marvel before the wonders this blessed land can bring forth. Will you take your destiny in your own hands?"

The dynast paused before turning back to rebuke the speaker once again. "Or would you rather place yourselves at the feet of this shining devil and her pack of beasts that have already tasted Kandaran blood? Ah, yes, he didn't mention that to you did he? Was he also conveniently forgetting that he'd need to feed their little war-pets too?" Manato scoffs, spitting on the stone at the speaker's feet. "Of course he did. He doesn't need his offerings to the moon-mad to suspect anything after all."

"Meanwhile this man here will distract you with reminders of harsh sentences and judgments laden with the hypocrisy to goad you into being just as harsh as she was! Why should you trust this man who doesn't even respect your capacity to judge for yourself before she has even finished speaking!? Why should we suffer this disease in Kandara sewing further misery and division?" Manato let the silence settle for a moment as the cogs began to turn, throwing his arms wide with the full belief there was no compelling response to his indictments.

There was one foundational truth to mastering the art of debate, that was to know the answer before asking the question. This speaker had built his cage of doublespeak for long enough that Manato was content to leave him in it. "Now that some of these people see you for who you are, are you going to fake another assassination attempt with one of your puppets in the guard?" The fire aspect sneered, If you can make empty accusations on a whim I can too, and I don't pull punches.

"While we watch this rodent find his next excuse, I think you people of Kandara deserve the chance, the trust, to judge for yourselves. Is this the same Satrap you knew before? Would you prefer to listen and find out what's in store for you while this bleating goat plots your surrender to a self-righteous terrorist?" He could feel his smile return to his face, as the swell of anticipation rose in his stomach. Should his words hit their mark he'd have the crowd chanting 'Let her speak' over the complaints of a hypocritical anathema merely seeking a pack of puppets within this pocket of Realm territory.

[Manato engages in multiple oratory actions. Instilling doubt and instilling disgust in the Speaker. Inspiring pride for Kandara. and Instilling a sense of mercy/forgiveness for Satori to wear down the negative intimacy. Full excellency on each performance roll for 2 successes on each. Spending a will on the inspire and the instill for Satori to start with 3sucesses total on each. Rolling 12 dice assuming 1 point stunts and 2 appearance dice.

Alright...
10 Successes on Doubt, leveraging negative ties to the realm
6 Successes on Disgust, leveraging what will likely be the tie of doubt
7 on Inspiring Pride, leveraging their principle from the day before
8 on Mercy, leveraging the principle and their pride to take an honest second look]

Last edited:
Asuna sips her tea and scans the crowd from the balcony of a teahouse overlooking the square, searching for the players in the great game - hers and otherwise. It's good practice, and an entertaining way to pass time. She would provide the list to her handmaiden later, to deliver constructive feedback to their people and a list of persons of interest to cross check against known players.

Certainly she could have quietly made many of these 'Cult of the Illuminated' disappear - subtlety was not their forte it seemed - but a credible and spirited opposition for Satori to overcome is part of the cathartic healing process. It was so delightfully obliging of them to show up and play their part in this little bit of theatre.

Manato could be arguing the Pole of Fire was cold and against mortals he would still win the day in the eyes of the crowd. So either their leadership was panicking, or this little 'debate' was as much a sham for both sides. There was no question that the main production was spectacular and Manato riveting as its leading man, but Asuna was here for the silent play within a play, the shadow play that foretold the fates of our protagonists in the next act.

Asuna's watching just in case there's a more dastardly plot than, "Send mortals to try to debate with the Exalted."

Read Intentions on the crowd to find interesting people and what they're doing.
4m on Socialize Excellency to buy 2 successes.
Perception 2 + Socialize 5 + Stunt 2 = 9 dice; 5 hits

Users who are viewing this thread

Back