• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Exalted 3E - Tale of a Falling Empire IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Asuna clasps her hands reassuringly around Manato's as he offers the flask, her expression a living portrait of compassionate understanding, "My condolences." She doesn't know her father well, or particularly like him, so it's difficult for her to really empathise, but she doesn't like seeing Manato in pain.

She accepts the flask, holding it up to her nose and inhaling deeply, eyes closed, as she answers, "Well, I only have seven nights of hard drinking with you until the end of the world. I'd scarcely miss one. I do have one last duty to fulfill first." Her eyes widen slightly as she holds the flask up to her lips and takes a sip, letting the thick liquid roll around on her tongue experimentally. "This is... really good. What was I...? Mm, Satori needs to be massaged." She takes another sip and savours it. "Important she stays on board, and doesn't melt down. What is this? Coffee, and chocolate, and... spices?" She takes a mouthful and again savours the taste for several seconds, eyes closed, before swallowing. "Valuable assets. Asset. Being very professional. Only reason I'm meeting her alone in the gardens," she says, the picture of innocence. She takes another swig, "Breath of Hesiesh, what have I been doing with my life? How did I survive without you, Manato? Do you have more of this?" She channels water essence to draw out a bubble of the rich black liquid to float above her fingers, examining it with wonder for a few moments before bringing it up to her lips to drink with obvious relish. She glances up at Manato and clutches the flask to herself possessively. "Were you done with this flask?" she asks, hopeful.

[Definitely taking a Minor Tie of Love for Manato's Spiced-Chocolate-Coffee-Thing. Also definitely not holding the scene, just being silly. I know some of us are eager to get to the bits where we punch Anathema instead of just talk a lot about punching Anathema. I would like Asuna to talk to Satori to see if she can get her intimacies up to Major, learn more about her, and check on her mental health, but I'm totally fine with it being woven in with stuff other people want to do later tonight/tomorrow. Not sure if we're time skipping to the end of the week and just outlining plans for preparations, or if there are going to be scenes every day.]

Last edited:
Manato savors the look of wonder on her face with a laugh. "You can finish it if you'd like. My attendants will fetch more soon enough." He gave her a peck on the cheek kiss, bringing his arm around her as they walked. "Seven nights though... I'd been hoping for a longer, less stressful honeymoon than that." He said with a conspiratorial glimmer in his eye. "As for Satori, I've similar concerns. Poor thing needs honest-to-dragons friends right now, and there's a bit of a cooldown period before such confidence would be welcome from me. This is going to be a harsh time of transition for her, so the temptation to go back will be echoing in her mind. With you helping her along, perhaps Fel can find happiness here among broken Anathema and forgotten people? We'll just have to see how it turns out. I have faith in you."

[I'd rather not hold the others up either. I know Manato's going to try and build the defense pact and make frequent appeals to regain the loyalty of the people over the course of the week.]

D. Rex D. Rex
Kessi grins at the remark about her artificial eye, but frowns and raises an eyebrow at his comments about the present situation. When he requests that she follow him elsewhere, she nods in understanding, placing her unfinished goblet down on the table and then following him to wherever he wishes.

D. Rex D. Rex
Kessi grins at the remark about her artificial eye, but frowns and raises an eyebrow at his comments about the present situation. When he requests that she follow him elsewhere, she nods in understanding, placing her unfinished goblet down on the table and then following him to wherever he wishes.

It was but a short walk, enough that Fel was sure the two of them could speak without being overheard. "Take me to the warstrider." He said to her quietly, speaking in Old Realm in case ears followed.

"I wish we were having this wall under better circumstances. But I'll get straight to the point. Two anathema forces are converging on this city. One a legion of twelve thousand lead by host of solars. The other is a pack of beastmen three thousand strong with moon mad among them. It is safe to assume that between the two armies, there are at least seven anathema that have been confirmed, but we should expect more. Yongufu has already fallen to them, and Kandara only has a force of three thousand city watchmen to act as its defense. On top of that, the city is close to revolt in favor of the anathema, and the loyalties of the soldiers may shift if that happens."

"I don't need to explain to you how bad this situation is... but if we have any hope of holding this city until reinforcements come, then that warstrider is going to be one of our greatest assets. I have already agreed to pilot it."

"If you want to go, I understand. Do it now.. If I were to be honest with myself than I would bet on this battle already being lost. But I can't sit back and watch anathema lead a reign of terror across the threshold. But if you are to stay, i would want no other as my savant and operator than you. Not just because your a Ledaal, but because you are Kessi."

Last edited:
Larissa will take the time to go hunt down her fellow Immaculate Monk, Sengon. She is interested in hearing his counsel on this matter.

With Fel...
Kessi is visibly alarmed by the news that two Anathema are leading armies towards the city, but she manages to keep her composure.

"I see." she says. "Well, I can hardly resent you for wanting to stay and fight. And if that's your plan, then I'll stay and support you."

With Larissa...
It doesn't take long for Larissa to find Sengon, the monk's plain robes and bald head standing out among everyone else's gala attire.

"So. I take it you've heard the news?" he asks in a quiet voice.

With Fel...
Kessi is visibly alarmed by the news that two Anathema are leading armies towards the city, but she manages to keep her composure.

"I see." she says. "Well, I can hardly resent you for wanting to stay and fight. And if that's your plan, then I'll stay and support you."

With Larissa...
It doesn't take long for Larissa to find Sengon, the monk's plain robes and bald head standing out among everyone else's gala attire.

Fel nodded,"I am relieved to hear you say that. But your workshop, Kessi, quickly. We have but a day or two at best, and there is much preparations we have to handle and I need to familiarize myself with the warstrider and your work with it."

Kessi nods and smiles. "You got it."

She then turns and whispers something as if speaking to herself, but as close as he's stood to her, Fel can't hear it. Once she's finished, Kessi turns to him and grins.

"That was me summoning my personal carriage to the gates of this palace. If we go now, we should get there just before it arrives." she explains.

Sure enough, a carriage is waiting for the two Dynasts, driven by a mortal who seems fairly familiar with Kessi. He gives Fel a curious look, but Kessi tells him not to worry, and directs him to take the two of them to her workshop once they're sat down in the carriage. The driver nods, and sets off.

---

"The warstrider's name is Emerald Chevalier." Kessi says, deciding to use the journey to start giving Fel a quick rundown. "From what I can tell by looking at the aesthetics and design, it was built during the time of the Shogunate, for fast and destructive movement on the battlefield. You could say it's the warstrider equivalent of a dragon's worth of heavy cavalry. It's even got four legs, to complete that image."

The carriage continues on its journey, as Kessi changes the subject. "My workshop, and the warstrider's facilities are in a walled compound within the Dragon District." she explains. "It's a small facility from the Shogunate days, not big enough to build completely new warstriders, but large enough that we can assemble anything for an existing one. The warstrider itself is kept underground, and only myself, my staff, the satrap and the rest of her advisors know the true purpose of the compound. Though I suppose that group includes you now."

Kessi nods and smiles. "You got it."

She then turns and whispers something as if speaking to herself, but as close as he's stood to her, Fel can't hear it. Once she's finished, Kessi turns to him and grins.

"That was me summoning my personal carriage to the gates of this palace. If we go now, we should get there just before it arrives." she explains.

Sure enough, a carriage is waiting for the two Dynasts, driven by a mortal who seems fairly familiar with Kessi. He gives Fel a curious look, but Kessi tells him not to worry, and directs him to take the two of them to her workshop once they're sat down in the carriage. The driver nods, and sets off.

---

"The warstrider's name is Emerald Chevalier." Kessi says, deciding to use the journey to start giving Fel a quick rundown. "From what I can tell by looking at the aesthetics and design, it was built during the time of the Shogunate, for fast and destructive movement on the battlefield. You could say it's the warstrider equivalent of a dragon's worth of heavy cavalry. It's even got four legs, to complete that image."

The carriage continues on its journey, as Kessi changes the subject. "My workshop, and the warstrider's facilities are in a walled compound within the Dragon District." she explains. "It's a small facility from the Shogunate days, not big enough to build completely new warstriders, but large enough that we can assemble anything for an existing one. The warstrider itself is kept underground, and only myself, my staff, the satrap and the rest of her advisors know the true purpose of the compound. Though I suppose that group includes you now."
"The Emerald Chevalier..." he repeated mulling over the name. "Green jade then, I'd wager. All the better for us. And fast and destructive cavalry is just what we need right now. And with four legs, that thing is going to be hard to disable. This could be the stroke of luck we needed."

"I already told General Kirito to send word to get magical materials processed, if there is any left in the city that isn't in your stockpile, let's hope it gets to you quickly. Amd I have already put in a request for extra Greater Hearthstones."

"The facility is a lot better than what I was expecting. Dynasts like Satori tend not to know the value of what they have, I was half expecting it to have been shoved in a dusty warehouse. As I also told the General, I am hoping to take a modular approach to repairs, if you deem it viable given the Chevalier's design. With what we are facing, I doubt we will have the luxury of proper repair time."

"It includes me now, as well as a few others. They came with me, and will also be helping. Though it has yet to be confirmed if we are going to defend or evacuate."

"Also, was that the Unerring Messenger spell you used to hail your carriage? I don't suppose you have any way to get word of this coming army to the Ledaal council, can you? Maybe they can send some reinforcements, or send word to any Hunting Patrols to give us aid. A few Amacers and a couple handfuls of Shikari could help change the tide of this fight."

Fel paused,"How did you end up working for Ragara, anyway? I wasn't almost sure you would have been sent to work on the Five Dragon project. "

Asuna smiles when Manato kisses her cheek, and presses herself against him when he puts his arm around her waist, making it abundantly clear that there isn't very much at all beneath the clouds of her shawl. She laughs, "Fel is going to find happiness the moment he slides into that machine." She lowers her voice to a sultry conspiratorial whisper, eyes lidded, "And all those late nights spent alone in the workshop with his pretty new Savant, working tirelessly together on their shared passion, the pall of an Anathema threat cast over them; they both reach for the wrench, their hands brush, their eyes meet... if Satori wants to keep him on a short leash she had best step up her game. Flashing a little cleavage just isn't going to cut it," she says as she does exactly that.

"And you want me to help her, you say?" she says with laughter in her eyes, "Give her a practical demonstration on how to keep Fel's attention? That could be dangerous. We might never convince him to leave. Perhaps I should give you a demonstration later, just so you know what you're signing him up for and can make an informed decision?"

She leans in further, her lips scarcely brushing his ear, her breath warm against his skin as she whispers huskily, "It's the least I could do, really. You bring me simply the best presents. Drinking chocolate and a forlorn last stand against Anathema monsters to decide the fate of the Realm? However will I repay you? Why, to express my gratitude I think I might do almost... anything." She nibbles at his ear playfully before she pulls back. "For now I can only hope our parting makes your heart grow fonder - I have to... help Satori," she says with a sly smile as she slips out of his arm, her own arm trailing behind her, running her fingertips lightly down the inside of his arm and across his palm as she sashays away.

-------

As soon as she is out of his sight her gait returns to normal, her mask of affable geniality restored. She finds a waiter distributing wine glasses and a light palate cleanser - no need to snub her host by revealing Manato's libations are better, and this way the staff will know where she was recently to point Satori in the right direction - before heading back into the gardens to find a suitably dramatic and secluded decorative pond. There was an art to giving someone a glimpse deep into your soul while pretending to be unaware you were being observed, and done properly it could be extraordinarily effective. It gives the target a sense of power over you, presents you at your most vulnerable - an essential component of trust, and offers a sense of authenticity that can be difficult to replicate. Few think to question an impression gleaned when they've caught you with your defenses down.

She offers a small prayer to the Goddess of Deception and Intrigue before permitting the smallest of rueful smiles to slip through as an offering. If you're going to deceive someone, offer up something true about yourself first, on the off chance someone is cunning and canny enough to catch it. It captured the self-destructive nature of the game they all played. Her truth for the evening was that her instructors had perhaps succeeded too well. It was likely impossible for her to have a 'normal' relationship with anyone at this point, and a part of her was both amused and saddened by that. Manato didn't seem to mind that she was more performance than person. The Dragons provide.

She sets about composing the scene Satori will chance to stumble upon. She contemplates the nature of the pond before her, and becomes one with it. She is the beautiful placid mirror that reflects the truth of the essence around her, while concealing fathomless depths of hidden wisdom. Her considerable intellect is consumed by deep contemplation of a difficult ethical dilemma, her mind balanced on a razor's edge, poised to topple either way with one carefully calculated push. Filial piety against imperial duty; discretion against a chance at glory. She radiates a quiet power compromised in this moment by the fatal vulnerability of indecision and self doubt; so engrossed is she in her dilemma she doesn't even notice the way the water condenses out of the air into swirling droplets in an intricate dance around her. To a certain sort of person the way she wears the shattered fragments of her typical poise and confidence is more enticing than any amount of skin.

She must be a prize. Her loyalty will be valued more if Satori has to earn it; Satori's gratitude deeper the higher both the perceived cost she must pay and her perceived value. She gambles that Satori loves the hunt, the thrill of conquest, and the power of control. They're intoxicating; she should know. She will give Satori an illusion of all three so complete reality will pale by comparison. Give someone what they crave in their heart of hearts and they are yours; Give them a lie better than the truth and they will fight tooth and nail to believe it.

Let's make an attempt to Instill a Tie of... hmmm... let's say Covetous Hunger. Asuna wants to appear to be tantalizing but dangerous prey. Who needs Lunar Charms anyway. We'll do it the old fashioned way.

Let's see if the dice gods are with me.
4m Socialize Excellency for 2 Successes
Appearance 5 + Socialize 5 + Stunt 2 = 12 dice; 10 hits

Last edited:
"The Emerald Chevalier..." he repeated mulling over the name. "Green jade then, I'd wager. All the better for us. And fast and destructive cavalry is just what we need right now. And with four legs, that thing is going to be hard to disable. This could be the stroke of luck we needed."

"I already told General Kirito to send word to get magical materials processed, if there is any left in the city that isn't in your stockpile, let's hope it gets to you quickly. And I have already put in a request for extra Greater Hearthstones."

"The facility is a lot better than what I was expecting. Dynasts like Satori tend not to know the value of what they have, I was half expecting it to have been shoved in a dusty warehouse. As I also told the General, I am hoping to take a modular approach to repairs, if you deem it viable given the Chevalier's design. With what we are facing, I doubt we will have the luxury of proper repair time."

"Modular repairs? As in full-on replacing limbs and the like?" Kessi asks warily. "Well, it's not something I've ever tried before, but I suppose there's a first time for everything. We've certainly got enough jade and stuff to make a few additional limbs, especially if the satrap's people are willing to support us, though we'll be hard pressed to have them ready within a week."

"Also, was that the Unerring Messenger spell you used to hail your carriage? I don't suppose you have any way to get word of this coming army to the Ledaal council, can you? Maybe they can send some reinforcements, or send word to any Hunting Patrols to give us aid. A few Amacers and a couple handfuls of Shikari could help change the tide of this fight."

"Infallible Messenger. And no, that wasn't it. I can do it, but I can also whisper a message to anyone within two miles of me without having to use sorcery." she says. "Okay. While I'm working on keeping you operating, I'll also send word out to anyone who I think can help."

Fel paused,"How did you end up working for Ragara, anyway? I wasn't almost sure you would have been sent to work on the Five Dragon project."

Kessi shrugs at this question. "Politics, mainly." she replies. "Ragara Benoru agreed to write off one of our House's smaller debts to him if one of us was sent here to help his house on some kind of project. We were told enough to gather that it was the restoration of some relic from before the Scarlet Empire came into being, and I think someone close to Yasmet figured that we could make use of the relic for ourselves, if only we knew enough about it. I was volunteered, accepted the offer, and here I am."

She then peers out of the window. "Speaking of being here, we're at the compound."

===

The two Dynasts get out and find themselves at a gatehouse set within a tall stone wall. A pair of guards admit both Dynasts inside, and Kessi leads Fel to a staircase heading down into the ground. Following her, Fel will soon come to a large, underground chamber that is lit up by a number of huge lanterns dotting the walls, and dominated entirely by a huge centaurian construction: the top half resembles an armoured warrior, while the bottom half has four legs and an equine shape. The whole construction appears to be entirely made from green jade, aside from a gigantic lance and shortbow, both of which are wood, though the lance is tipped with a green jade spearpoint.

"There it is. Emerald Chevalier, fully restored." Kessi says proudly. Indeed, the entire thing looks practically spotless, and if there was any damage taken in it's last battle, Kessi and her team's repairs have left no trace of it. If he wanted to, Fel could probably take it out for a spin right this moment.

"We're right underneath the compound's courtyard." Kessi explains as she points up to the ceiling, which on closer inspection is made of metal, with a slit running along the entirety of it. "Whenever we wish to deploy the warstrider, we can open the ceiling and lift the room floor up to ground level. Otherwise, there are a number of tunnels leading underground to parts of the surrounding countryside, in case we want to get the warstrider out without being noticed by anyone in the city."

She points to a set of huge metal double doors in front of Emerald Chevalier. "All these doors can be opened - and the floor raised - through a number of mechanisms. Giant cogs and the like. It's all stuff left over from the Shogunate, or perhaps even earlier..."

Last edited:
Random Word Random Word
With Asuna...
Perhaps Satori has grown a bit wiser to Asuna's tricks. Perhaps she fears that she's already given too much away in her previous encounters with the group. In any case, while she does smile at the sight of the Water Aspect when she arrives at the pond, she's clearly not letting herself be won over by the display of vulnerability.

[Satori spends a point of willpower to resist the instill attempt.]

"You wished to speak with me, Asuna?" she asks with curiosity, sitting herself down on a small bench by the pond and looking at the other woman.

The Fire Aspect settled into what had been proven to be the pattern of this trip. The bittersweet experience that romance gifted to the Dynast couple had blossomed into the highlight of his vacation, heated passion between blessedly brief departures. Little by little Asuna's relentless tide of flirtation and suggestion had eroded Manato's once stubborn defense. Her knowing smile, her seductive voice, her alluring figure, the enticing promise of what the night held, even the grand conspiracy they wove together was all far more intoxicating than any concoction he could ever hope to assemble. Where there was once a reflex to guard oneself, there was only a growing flame.

Manato felt his face warm in the cool breeze of the garden as they walked. His expression was set with a smile born from the heart. Hearing the prophecy of Fel's conquests left his laughter to echo in his spirit. Then the tantalizing taunts and teases Asuna assailed him with merely reinforced intentions. "Very well, you may spare our friend from danger, but I won't have you threaten me with a good time and not deliver." Manato quipped with a wink. With her whispers still fresh in his ears, he responded in kind, his voice nearly matching the thundering cadence of anticipation in his chest. "While I will gladly indulge in your gratitude, those gifts don't compare to what I have in store for you yet." It was then he watched her break away to tend to a crucial task. The parting would have stung a lot more had the view of her exit not seared the sway of her hips into his memory. 'Til the next reunion then.

Now it was time for him to prepare for his crowning moment. The meeting to set the tone of this week's preparations and the fate of Kandara for generations. The time was set, the call was out. If he wanted it to go smoothly, he needed intelligence in as vast a quantity as he could retain in but a few fleeting moments. He stepped through the crowds, making eye contact with one of his staff pointing at the pocket where his flask once was. If I'm to make it count, I can't dry out, and I can't drown in wine. He searched the main halls, looking for signs of a familiar face. Harun, a Satrap, or one of their entourage. It would only take a few questions for him to get the perspective necessary to close the biggest sale of his career. Shame it was merely the first of many stepping stones for his agenda behind a mask of avarice.

Ah, I just need to follow the wine... Those with the most wealth or authority are more likely to chase the finest vintage. With his revelation, the merchant tracked his prey by the most primal sense. Their taste. With not but a glance, he matched the labels of bottles in the servant's care to the patrons that gravitate at their side. ...and Jackpot...

[Stunting a Perception + Socialize roll to find people he can discuss simple 'innocent' questions with. The intent here is to gain an understanding of the current trade relations with Kandara's neighbors. jaydude jaydude If Manato hasn't been in town or in the party long enough for you to consider Friend-To-All-Nations Attitude valid, then disregard the last die. Looks like only 3 successes regardless. Surely a person of notable influence shouldn't be too hard to spot, I hope.]

With Larissa...

Larissa nods, saying, "Yes, and here I was, thinking that this would be a quiet, uneventful trip away from the politics of the Blessed Isle. I fear that once word of this army hits the streets, we may see a general revolution from the populace, thanks to Satori's ham fisted methods of trying to keep control here. Tell me, please, that you know of some secret that can be exploited to help save the city. Otherwise, I am afraid that we will lose here badly."

When Satori flatly dismisses her opening gambit Asuna is pleased. Perhaps her earlier weakness had merely been the shock of an admittedly mutually upsetting meeting? She should have known Earth did not yield so easily under pressure. Asuna's only disappointment was that Satori hadn't attempted to convince her she had been taken in, but if her legion were in danger she wouldn't be in the mood for games, either, and she had to remember that wasn't considered a fun way to spend an evening in other families.

The Thousand Correct Actions were clear: When your attempt to bait an enemy fails you had best be ready to immediately execute another strategy, and it should be aggressive. Don't yield the initiative twice. If Satori didn't want to pursue she had would simply press the offensive.

The droplets swirling around her still and fall to the ground. She feigns only the slightest hint of surprise as she composes herself, giving Satori a grateful smile, "You honour me, Satrap - Ah, Satori," her smile widens slightly in acknowledgement of the intimacy of using her first name. "I admit a certain curiosity about the woman I may be getting into bed with," she says with a small smile. She sits down beside her at a friendly but not intimate distance and continues, "Of course right now you merely humour me. You've met Sesus Asuna, the dilettante bearing guest gifts, but deserving of very little of your attention in a crisis." There's a slight shift in her bearing - a straightening of her shoulders, extension of her neck, tensing of her core, a certain cast to her face - that projects authority and the supreme confidence of command, "Allow me to introduce Vice-Dragonlord Sesus Asuna, 4th Legion, 4th Dragon. I'll take up the post should I survive my little vacation. I didn't quite graduate at the top of my class," she nods to Satori in deference to her achievement, " - my personal martial prowess scores held me back; Xandra is ten times the warrior I'll ever be," she says with a rueful grin. "My strengths lie elsewhere. I took almost every single award for tactical and strategic acumen the House of Bells can award, and between my commendations campaigning in the North and my rank I believe my career speaks for itself," she finishes with quiet but obvious pride.

"I want to help. I had to fight to get this sabbatical at all. I already know what that letter is going to say: I'm 'considered too strategically important to risk'," she says with visible disgust. "That I should return to Chanos and breaking up brawls between my soldiers and the Air Fleet while the Realm disintegrates around me. I've had enough. It's a waste of my abilities. I've worked hard and excelled beyond all expectation. I've earned some respect and the authority that comes with it. I hope it's not presumptuous, but I feel like you understand that. It's one of the reasons I liked you the moment I met you."

Definitely don't want to bleed a bunch of Satori's willpower before an important week, and my main objective is to fish out some of her Defining Intimacies. Let's try a Read Intentions to fish for intimacies around what she's entitled to/earned.

Perception 2 + Socialize 5 + Stunt 2 = 9 dice; 5 hits

While we're at it I want to boost one of the Minor's that stuck to Major using the other. Bit of a toss up which one. Let's go for the minor tie of Gratitude. I think Asuna's presented credible evidence strengthening the idea she's going out on a limb for Satori here, and also increased the perceived value of her aid. Let's see if she has any opposing Intimacies to permit her to spend WP against that. If she does I'll back off. I can slowly work through them as I build up evidence over the course of the week.

2m for 1 success
Leveraging Minor Tie of Affection for Asuna to penalize her Resolve by 1.
Manipulation 5 + Socialize 5 + Stunt 2 + Appearance 1 = 13 dice; 8 hits

Last edited:
"Modular repairs? As in full-on replacing limbs and the like?" Kessi asks warily. "Well, it's not something I've ever tried before, but I suppose there's a first time for everything. We've certainly got enough jade and stuff to make a few additional limbs, especially if the satrap's people are willing to support us, though we'll be hard pressed to have them ready within a week."

"Infallible Messenger. And no, that wasn't it. I can do it, but I can also whisper a message to anyone within two miles of me without having to use sorcery." she says. "Okay. While I'm working on keeping you operating, I'll also send word out to anyone who I think can help."

Kessi shrugs at this question. "Politics, mainly." she replies. "Ragara Benoru agreed to write off one of our House's smaller debts to him if one of us was sent here to help his house on some kind of project. We were told enough to gather that it was the restoration of some relic from before the Scarlet Empire came into being, and I think someone close to Yasmet figured that we could make use of the relic for ourselves, if only we knew enough about it. I was volunteered, accepted the offer, and here I am."

She then peers out of the window. "Speaking of being here, we're at the compound."

===

The two Dynasts get out and find themselves at a gatehouse set within a tall stone wall. A pair of guards admit both Dynasts inside, and Kessi leads Fel to a staircase heading down into the ground. Following her, Fel will soon come to a large, underground chamber that is lit up by a number of huge lanterns dotting the walls, and dominated entirely by a huge centaurian construction: the top half resembles an armoured warrior, while the bottom half has four legs and an equine shape. The whole construction appears to be entirely made from green jade, aside from a gigantic lance and shortbow, both of which are wood, though the lance is tipped with a green jade spearpoint.

"There it is. Emerald Chevalier, fully restored." Kessi says proudly. Indeed, the entire thing looks practically spotless, and if there was any damage taken in it's last battle, Kessi and her team's repairs have left no trace of it. If he wanted to, Fel could probably take it out for a spin right this moment.

"We're right underneath the compound's courtyard." Kessi explains as she points up to the ceiling, which on closer inspection is made of metal, with a slit running along the entirety of it. "Whenever we wish to deploy the warstrider, we can open the ceiling and lift the room floor up to ground level. Otherwise, there are a number of tunnels leading underground to parts of the surrounding countryside, in case we want to get the warstrider out without being noticed by anyone in the city."

She points to a set of huge metal double doors in front of Emerald Chevalier. "All these doors can be opened - and the floor raised - are raised through a number of mechanisms. Giant cogs and the like. It's all stuff left over from the Shogunate, or perhaps even earlier..."

"If possible. But given that the warstrider has six limbs, this may complicate matters. If we can have a couple legs and armored plates ready to switch out, it could save the warstrider time in the shop. We can get away with minor repairs, but we can't afford to have it down for a week. Having parts replaced just gives us a few more chances before it is forced into that downtime." Fel explained.

"Infallible Messenger, my pardon. I was a little busy regretting summoning the Devil Maw to remember spell names. But how then? Inventing new tricks even now, I see." He complimented.

Fel frowned and sniffed dismissively, "They should have paid more for you and your service. I doubt Ragara has much idea of what they truly have."

As they entered the compound, and as he looked upon the warstrider his eyes widened. Kessi sounded proud, as well she should be. "Amazing, absolutely pristine work. If I didn't know any better I would have said this came frome a First Age Cache."

He approached the mechanation as Kessi explained about the facility. This was fantastic. Not only was it fully hidden but it had launch tunnels and hidden exits. He would definitely need to get a map of those to Asuna.

He looked over to the weapons, nodding approvingly. Already armed, good. Fitted for range and melee. Could capitalize on its speed. Hopefully Fel could find some time to learn the bow. "The lance, is it solid wood or does it have a steel or iron core?" He asked. Jade was too much to hope for. Such weapons used far too much materials to be viable. Though if there ever was a warstrider sized weapon made of the magical materials... it would be beyond deadly. But to make an artifact of that size was... well it would take a while and be very very expensive. And difficult, even with a team of master craftsman.

"I will need a map of the exits. As well as time to look over blueprints for the warstrider. I would like to get to know it myself." Getting closer, Fel reached out a hand and touched the Emerald Chevaliers leg.

"Is it ready for attunement?"

Xandra is going to head out to find some sort of maps of the area and of the city in an effort to get a handle on the upcoming battle. Knowledge is power, and right now, this city needs all the power it can get.

With Manato...
Manato's inquiries tell him the following; Cynis Harun and V'neef Merina are the two principal exporters within Kandara, Harun selling slaves and opium, Merina selling wines, tobacco and qat. Javald was once in a similar league to the two of them, selling the jade and more mundane precious metals from his mines, though he's had to curb exportation of the former following the Empress's disappearance; besides increased demand for it on Ragara Benoru's part, it wouldn't do to sell jade to people who might pass it on to a rival Great House, of which there are plenty in this part of Creation. In addition, the Ragaras' as a whole have a number of loans and investments within the nations outside Kandara - some of which were arranged by Satori and Javald - the majority of which are currently bringing in a steady amount of interest.

One of the two most prominent trading partners is King Al-Sakhawi ("Generous one" in Flametongue) of Albahr, a satrapy within the inland seas south of Kandara. A Fire Aspect who is at once corsair and statesman, he sells both plunder taken by his fleets, and black jade mined from the waters of his kingdom. The other important trading partner is Nellens Mabuka, an outcaste Dragon-blooded adopted into the that Great House. Much like the Ragaras, he has a number of investments in this part of the Threshold, most of them between Kandara and the satrapy of Thueban. He uses these to supply Kandara with goods that Javald, Harun, Merina and Al-Sakhawi cannot provide.

As luck would have it, Manato spots Harun, Al-Sakhawi and Mabuka all swapping stories over cups of wine. Al-Sakhawi is a bronze-skinned and big man, made strong by what must be decades of piracy, but still handsome-looking, with a thin beard of dark brown hair covering the entirety of his jaw (Appearance 3). He wears an orange kaftan embroidered with silver thread, along with an orange turban with a clear hearthstone set inside a red jade ornament that holds the turban together. Mabuka by contrast is slim, dark-skinned and clean-shaven, with short black hair that covers the entirety of his scalp. He looks a few decades younger than both Harun and Al-Sakhawi, and is somewhat more attractive than the latter (Appearance 4).

With Larissa...
The abbot chuckles wryly. "No big secrets. If I had one of those up my sleeve, I would have shared it with the rest of the council." he says. "I do however know a number of people in the area who are particularly devout with regards to the Immaculate Philosophy. With luck, we can leverage that in order to gain allies against the encroaching Anathema."

He then becomes more serious. "Speaking of secrets, I think it goes without saying, Larissa, that we must be careful about the information we provide the general public. If those who have been turned against the Realm come to believe that Anathema are bringing an army to take this city and depose Satori, they'll become even more bolder than they are at present. That speaker we encountered earlier today could whip up a crowd into throwing open the city gates for our enemies, if he learns of what's happening."

The unspoken message is very clear: Sengon would very much like the speaker silenced before he can do any more damage.

With Asuna...
"Frustrated about not getting what you're owed? Trust me, I understand the feeling." Satori says while looking out at the pool, a bitter edge creeping into her voice like a slow-acting poison. "Every Dragon-blooded, whether a Dynast or an outcaste, is the culmination of ages spent travelling the Road of Enlightenment towards the Perfection of the Elemental Dragons. It is for every lesser being to acknowledge that fact, no matter what".

[With Satori having a grand total of 2 for her Guile, the Read Intentions Roll reveals the following Defining Principle: "As a Dynast, I am owed obedience and adulation from mortals no matter what I do".]

She then smiles a little. "I am grateful that you and your friends are sticking around to help me. Especially considering that this is time you're spending on sabbatical. I imagine many Dynasts, including those of my own house, would leave this place to its fate."

[Satori does not attempt to contest the Instill roll.]

With Fel...
Kessi smiles at the compliments her fellow Ledaal sends her way, and finds herself starting to like him.

[Kessi gains a Minor Tie of Camaraderie towards Fel.]

"Beyond this gate is a tunnel that splits into three more tunnels." she says. "They all lead outside the city; Kirito will know where exactly, I don't doubt. The area between the splitoff point and the gate has dozens of arrowslits and windows within the walls. I imagine that those who were here before the Realm anticipated that an enemy might use these tunnels to get underneath them."

She then gives Fel another grin at his question. "I think it's as ready as it'll ever be, though I haven't actually had a chance to take it for a test run since we finished restoring it." she says, taking hold of her metal arm's wrist as she says this. "I can find someone to help you get strapped into the fuselage, if you want to try."

With Xandra...
Xandra's search for knowledge soon brings her back into contact with Kirito, who has exchanged his armor for a strategist's robe, and is currently looking at a large map of Kandara within the palace's war room. In the room with him are a pair of senior officers; Xandra can't tell whether or not they're Dragon-blooded. All three look up when Xandra enters the room, but Kirito invites her into their discussion without hesitation. He even starts to like her, once he sees that she's a career soldier like him.

[Kirito gains a Minor Tie of Respect towards Xandra.]

"The territory northeast of Kandara is almost entirely forest and jungle, but most of the land within a few miles of this city is plains, low hills and farmland. A much smaller army of beastmen than the one we're facing would have trouble sneaking up on us through that." he explains, before pointing to a line on the map between. "As for the bulk of the Anathema force, the trade road between here and Yangofu is really the only route a host that size can take through the forests. If our own numbers weren't so limited, and those accursed beastmen weren't there to provide a vanguard, we could probably harass and ambush them along the way."

He then points to three black dots on the map, all clustered around Kandara. "In terms of other advantages, we've got these three tunnels leading in and out of the city, each one big enough for a warstrider to get through, and each one coming outside the city in a spot where an army encamped around the city wouldn't be able to see it. They've been around since before the founding of Kandara, and since they're connected to the compound where Kessi maintains the warstrider, I'd say their purpose was so that whoever was here prior to us could sneak the warstrider around the environment. Assuming that the enemy doesn't watch the surrounding lands, they'll be another way to get troops and supplies in and out of the city besides the harbor in the south." he says.

"It's highly doubtful the enemy will be able to make use of the tunnels." he then adds. "The entrances outside of the city are all cleverly concealed within the surrounding environment. And even if they could be found and opened, all three tunnels lead into a heavily fortified bottleneck beneath the Dragon District. Trying to get an army through there would be the ultimate in tactical suicide."

Last edited:
With Fel...
Kessi smiles at the compliments her fellow Ledaal sends her way, and finds herself starting to like him.

[Kessi gains a Minor Tie of Camaraderie towards Fel.]

"Beyond this gate is a tunnel that splits into three more tunnels." she says. "They all lead outside the city; Kirito will know where exactly, I don't doubt. The area between the splitoff point and the gate has dozens of arrowslits and windows within the walls. I imagine that those who were here before the Realm anticipated that an enemy might use these tunnels to get underneath them."

She then gives Fel another grin at his question. "I think it's as ready as it'll ever be, though I haven't actually had a chance to take it for a test run since we finished restoring it." she says, taking hold of her metal arm's wrist as she says this. "I can find someone to help you get strapped into the fuselage, if you want to try."

"Very wise of them." Fel said, looking up at the jade machine, "We will need to use the tunnels smartly or they may catch on. Well defended though it may be, it can be cut off to prevent our using it. While this may divide their forces, it would also cost us that advantage. But I can't think of a better start for a warstrider in this scenario."

Fel turn to look at her, and returned her grin with one of his one, "Well I think it is about time we start it up and see what it can do. Better I do it now then wait until they surprise us with their early arrival."

Fel took note that she held her arm when mentioned taking it out for a spin. The mention of finding someone else to strap him in was an odd comment. Kessi and himself were the two here most adept at such a task. Sure, maybe she just didn't want to, fair enough. It might have been his imagination but he might have been a hint of reluctance in her attitude when talking about the straps. His eyes fell to her wrist of steel and jade.

( jaydude jaydude
I would like to stunt a read intentions action on Kessi regarding how she feels about warstriders)

He thought about asking, but he wasn't going to pry here. "I'll trust whoever you pick. I'll take my time to attune to it properly and meditate on its essence channels. I'll sleep the night in there if I have to. Will you be able to get me some information while I am in there, or will you be busy making preparations elsewhere?"

1 sux for read intentions.

Manato secures a replacement flask from one of his staff and takes a pull of the warm drink. "Ah, thank you, Lily. I have a suspicion I'll need more soon. Stakes are high tonight and we might be able to win big. Let everyone know I'm counting on them, alright? Hang in there." He replied with a paternal smile then turned to approach his peers in business.

"Ah there you are, Lady Harun, friends. How's the evening treating you all today?" The Fire Aspect said as his greeting, smile in his eyes and offering a firm handshake. "I trust you all were invited to the upcoming meeting?" In his turn to listen, Manato took another drink from the steaming flask to keep his spirit and focus for the upcoming assembly.

With Fel...
Unfortunately for Fel, Kessi has had just enough political schooling to avoid displaying any further physical signs to him.

[Kessi has Guile of 2. Fel is unable to get anything from her.]

She nods at his comment about wanting to try out the warstrider, but raises an eyebrow at his question. "I shouldn't be too busy. What sort of information would you need?"

With Manato...
"So far, very well." replies Harun, smiling at the young man. "And yes, Javald told the three of us about the meeting. I imagine Merina will get a similar invitation, once she's found."

Both Al-Sakhawi and Mabuka turn to look at Manato with curiosity. At this distance, the Fire Aspect can see that the hearthstone within the King of Albahr's turban is a Stone of Aquatic Prowess. He also becomes aware of the other two men briefly looking over him, before the shaking of hands begins.

"You must be Cynis Manato!" Al-Sakhawi declares boisterously in High Realm, returning Manato's greeting with an equally firm handshake. His voice is a deep one that seems more suited to shouting orders during a sea battle than conversing at a formal party. "I am Al-Sakhawi, King of Albahr and Alqayid of the Alkirsan."

Manato recognizes the word Alqayid as a way of referring to an important commander in Flametongue. Once Al-Sakhawi has made his greeting and stepped back, Mabuka steps forward to offer his own, much calmer greeting.

"A pleasure to meet you, Manato." he says, his voice low and smooth in the manner of a refined speaker. "I had the pleasure of enjoying some of your wines at a Cynis gala on the Blessed Isle six years ago. Very fine ones they were; I still remember the taste of them after all this time."

[Al-Sakhawi and Mabuka are both using Auspicious First Meeting Attitude against Manato, targeting his Resolve and attempting to Instill Minor Ties of Respect in him. Al-Sakhawi has six dice and 2 successes, Mabuka eight dice and five successes.]

"Such a shame for a competitor to catch a glimpse of what I might achieve with such a platform, but I suppose I can give her one last handicap." Manato quipped with a smug smirk. "Alas, good rivals make for better drinks, I can't deny that. I'd hate to lose a good taste to complacency." He said with a nod to Harun.

"Well met King Al-Sakhawi. I'm not as familiar with local affairs as I'd like but I assume the Alkirsan is your ship is it not? It's a good sign for an Alqayid to have pride in his crew and station. I'm sure they are honored to serve." The Dynast responded in High Realm with the exception of his last statements in Flametongue.

These men seemed friendly enough at a glance, though Mabuka's remark struck a chord of suspicion in Manato's mind. Six years ago... That was very close to when it all started. I'd barely graduated then. Clever move. For what purpose though?

[Manato accepts the tie, but responds with a read intentions action.]

"Oh wow, that far back? We were just getting started around that time. You must really know your stuff Mabuka. I can see why Nellens would covet your diligence." Manato gave the man an appreciative pat on the arm as a friendly gesture. It's difficult to stand out around one as boisterous as King Al-Sakhawi with an outcaste's stigma and a Nellens to boot. That's a rough path there buddy. My condolences.

"If you all enjoy what my company has released so far, I expect you'll be pleased with our upcoming expansions even to lands such as this. Likewise, I benefit from the success of my neighbors as well. Celebration is the best kind of business after all! Tell me, gentlemen, can I expect more of your custom in the coming days or are there matters I could assist with to better serve my esteemed clients?"

[Alright, rolling a Perception + Socialize roll for a Read Intentions on Mabuka and a general Charisma + Presence Instill roll for a tie of Friendship spending 4m to add only 1 success to each. Gotta have room for that upcoming performance roll after all. That's a 4 on Read Intentions and 8 on Instilling Friendship. Edit: forgot to add an assumed 2 dice for appearance. That's 10 successes if their Resolve is 3 on the Instill.]

Last edited:
With Fel...
Unfortunately for Fel, Kessi has had just enough political schooling to avoid displaying any further physical signs to him.

[Kessi has Guile of 2. Fel is unable to get anything from her.]

She nods at his comment about wanting to try out the warstrider, but raises an eyebrow at his question. "I shouldn't be too busy. What sort of information would you need?"

"All of it." Fel replied simply. "At some point anyway. You are its Savant, and know it as intimately as if it were a spouse. From whatever state of ruin it was in, you turned it into this." He said as he gestured at the Emerald Chevalier.

"You know this warstrider inside and out. Because you put it back together. You may have had a team at your disposal, but I know it was you who spent the most sleepless nights putting together mechanisms and puzzling out its mysterious."

Fel turned away from her and looked up at the warstrider. "Regarding the secrets they keep, you know as well as I do that Artifacts such as these are much more akin to living beings than mundane armor. While not alive, they tend to have a sort of spirit granted to it by the combination of the magical materials and the essence that has been channeled through it."

"You could create four warstriders to the same exact specifications, yet each one would embody its own individuality that we can not quite understand. Each one would have its own secrets that it is aching to tell those who would listen. Even newly born, the very history of the materials it was made from, the passions and fleeting emotions of its creators, and the turmoil of Creation around it, that and more all come together to define the soul of these machines."

Fel looked back to her, "And you, who has repaired it to its former glory, have even left an imprint on Emerald Chevalier. You have become part of its legacy."

"I will not have time to get to know Emerald Chevalier and train with it in the time we have alloted to us. Anything you can do to help me bond with it would be a great boon. Anything you can tell me about it will expedite that process. Plus anything regarding its quirks and weapons."

"But you can tell me about that once I am strapped in. You have a team to shake out of their beds and get them to work. A message to Ledaal to deliver. You will know where to find me." He concluded with grin.

Larissa pauses in her conversation with Sengon for a moment, thinking. "I have a good shot at being able to track down the rabble rouser from the square today, but I strongly suspect that there will be Exalts in close proximity to this man, be them Dragon Blooded or something more sinister. I believe that I can round up a few others of my companions to join me in seeking him out, but any additional support from the Order would be welcome. We can set out in the dark tonight, using the shadows to approach our prey. Would you be interested?"

"I imagine many Dynasts, including those of my own house, would leave this place to its fate."

I can empathize. I stopped reading the Immaculate Texts when I reached the bit about everything I do being perfect, too. Quit while you're ahead and all that.

"And fuck them," she exclaims vehemently, eyes flashing. She continues, voice dripping scorn, "Rank cowards. At least some of us still know what it means to be an enlightened exemplar." She gives Satori a knowing look and her best reassuring smile, "Perfection can be... isolating. It's rarely remarked how lonely the final stretch of the Path can be, but we're still human enough to feel it. 'Ten Thousand Dragons Fight as One' might be dead, but you won't have to face this alone, Satori. I promise." Asuna brushes her fingertips lightly against Satori's hand, and if she doesn't withdraw Asuna squeezes her hand gently.

A mischievous smile plays at the corners of her lips, "You know, a certain desire for the respect due our station was far from the only thing I suspected we had in common. I couldn't help but notice how you looked at my grandmother's blades. Given your more than strictly professional appreciation for the tools of our craft, I think it not unlikely we share certain... proclivities."

Read Intentions - this one is definitely a fishing expedition, but given she's been ruling a Satrapy where she's been hated for years, has some extremely strong views on her own distance from mortals, and the peers at her court are largely political rivals from neighbouring Satrapies, I wonder if she might not feel isolated or lonely. Asuna is trying to spot if there's an emotional void in her life.
Perception 2 + Socialize 5 + Stunt 2 = 9; 7 hits

Attempting to raise Satori's Minor Tie of Affection to Major, leveraging the Major Tie of Gratitude. Appearance 5 vs Resolve 4.
Manipulation 5 + Socialize 5 + Stunt 2 + Appearance Bonus 1 = 13; 12 hits

Read Intentions for Intimacies related to sadism or cruelty.
Perception 2 + Socialize 5 + Stunt 2 = 9; Haha, 1 hit - ah well. If she asserts her Guile clearly Asuna was distracted by thoughts of Satori in a dominatrix outfit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back