• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Exalted 3E - Tale of a Falling Empire IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Asuna watches with undisguised glee as Satori and Manato draw verbal knives and start shedding blood. Now there's the Fire. He doesn't show that very often. I like it. Even the kid was surprisingly good. Shame Satori was almost certainly going to have him suffer a tragic accident well before his age of majority.

She accepts Manato's hand with a smile and rises to return to her seat. She must concur with the round of grim assessments. If Xandra isn't excited to fight Anathema, the situation is truly dire. Were this an exercise for her general staff she would almost certainly propose withdrawing, regrouping, and returning in force from a better position. Contemplating this has buoyued her mood considerably - the enemy has no navy, and no means to cut off egress. Nothing ties her here except her Hearth, and while Satori was wise to take them into her confidence so far it sounds like she has failed to persuade them this is their fight. The enemy is terrifying, yes, but they are unlikely to kill anyone she cares about.

When Fel looks at her expectantly, Asuna shrugs in a way that says I'm on vacation. The Wyld Hunt was a sacred duty, but this was no mere Wyld Hunt, and she had no sacred duty to spill her precious blood pointlessly. This was a threat that would shortly become every bit as dangerous as the Bull in the North, and it demanded a legion in answer. Sadly Ragara was about as likely to send one as she was to find the Empress under her bed tonight. Her mood soured slightly as she considered the odds of her own legion being deployed should something similar happen to a Sesus Satrapy. She was going to be glad when this fucking succession crisis nonsense was over - if she survived it. Her family would be furious if she died gloriously for the Realm before she had the chance to die gloriously for her House.

She watches Satori with intense curiosity and a splash of hunger. What is the price of your soul? What will you pay to keep that pretty face unmarred?

Last edited:
Seeing the reactions of you all, it seems to dawn on Satori and Javald just how dire their situation truly is. Kirito's expression hasn't changed; he's evidently been aware of how bad things are since his first encounter with the Anathema forces. Curiously, Boroma appears to be only mildly troubled at the information that his kingdom may soon be taken over by Anathema.

Kirito turns to look at Satori when Fel mentions the warstrider, silently asking if she told him about it. She responds with a small nod, and the general looks back at Fel. "With regards to the warstrider, we've actually got it fully restored and ready for use. And a team of trained engineers led by a Dragon-blooded savant of House Ledaal to handle maintenance and repair. All we're really missing is a pilot." he says.

He then stands up and begins pacing around the room. You all get the impression that, being a Water Aspect, he prefers to do his thinking while in motion. Soon enough though, he stops and looks back at Xandra and Larissa, scratching his chin thoughtfully. "Besides mercenary groups within the area that we can potentially hire, there are also the troops of neighbouring satrapies. While they likely wouldn't lift a finger to help us in other circumstances, we may well be able to get their support by emphasizing the size of this Anathema host, and pointing out that if left alone, we won't be able to weaken it enough for them to deal with later on. That could get us several thousand more loyal men, though it'll take time for them all to arrive of course, depending on what satraps we can win over."

Satori meanwhile is looking down at the floor, but she eventually raises her head and looks Manato in the eye. Her previous air of haughtiness is now gone, replaced by one of uncertainty and worry.

"If you feel an evacuation is the best course of action here, I will certainly consider it." she says. "But what would you have us do, if you and your friends needed convincing to help us try and withstand this menace?"

Asuna looks pityingly at Satori. She really didn't know. More fool her for ignoring her Tepet, but I can empathise. This is a hard lesson to learn. She speaks softly and sadly, only just loud enough to carry to the other side of the room, "Darling, war is a cruel but fair mistress. She keeps her ledgers in blood, sweat, and jade. When the account comes due - and it comes due for all of us - if you haven't paid in sweat and jade she takes her payment in blood. You swore a sacred oath to the Empress to maintain two accounts in good standing, but have left one deeply in arrears, and now that war has come to collect you are asking we - who have only made your acquaintance today - pay in blood for all the years you have not paid in sweat and jade."

She pauses briefly to let that sink in before continuing, "Understand that with a debt this large there will be no repayment in future for many of us. You must grasp in all its enormity the price you wish us, and our Houses, to pay in your stead. My reticence stems not from any lack of affection for you personally, nor any love of the Anathema that menace you. I too have sworn oaths I must uphold, and when I write home to my family I will have a very difficult time explaining why they should pay such a high price with little expectation of recompense. I will of course inform them that it is my assessment that this cabal of Anathema are well poised to become the Bull in the East, and the battle for your city Futile Blood writ small, but in these dark days I expect this will do little to persuade them. When I receive their reply, I will have a difficult decision to make."

The implication is clear: If you wish to win my aid you must persuade me to do nothing less than defy my House and lay down my life for you. No pressure.

"Regardless of the contents of that fateful missive, I will stay up until the moment the enemy can be seen from the walls at the very least. Should you wish it, I will be available to assist in planning the city's defenses, drilling the defenders, and gathering what reconnaissance we may on the invaders. It is the least I can do."

Instilling a Principle of "I have failed in my duty, and I bear responsibility for the consequences." in Satori. I'm guessing she'll pay Willpower to negate this. Asuna would have ideally waited until having built up more and stronger positive intimacies before trying this, but needs must.

Leveraging her Minor tie of Affection to reduce her Resolve by 1.

Spending 4m and 1 WP on three successes.
Socialize 5 + Manipulation 5 + Stunt 2 = 12 dice; Bleh, 2 + 3 for only 5 successes.

That one didn't go so well, but I've decided Asuna would stay as long as she feels would be responsible (i.e. up until retreat is threatened) to render aid, and she wouldn't miss a chance to try to extract some gratitude from Satori. If she later is persuaded to put her life on the line this lays the groundwork for upgrading the intimacy to Major.

Instilling a Minor Tie of Gratitude to Asuna for doing everything within the bounds of her duty to assist, and even considering the idea of defying her House and putting her life on the line for Satori. Again leveraging one of the other minor ties to reduce her Resolve by 1.

No motes or WP on this one. Not important enough.
Socialize 5 + Manipulation 5 + Stunt 2 = 12 dice; 9 hits, of course.

Last edited:
Seeing this much self awareness was a good sign. "Well, I'll tell you exactly what I'd do if I had to handle this crisis. I understand you may not like everything you will hear, but understand I do this so you will have full transparency. I'd also normally charge a fee for consulting, but I'd rather not be accused of exploiting a classmate in need."

"First, there is the matter of the Kandaran people's loyalty. There are a broad swath of policies that I think will set you up for success here, both now and well into the future. You've drawn your authority very close upon the people and their struggling has hurt you. Step aside as the King's regent, make sure he is educated and informed to deal with matters of law and relating to the local people. This will free your attention so you can focus your mind on financial investments, which is your strength. To cause a snap in public perception, announce a month long tax holiday and a refund of last week's taxes. People are hungry and need relief, they will welcome it even if they feel resentful. Going forward limit taxes to a 10% sales tax for all transactions in the satrapy and a 10% income tax that only applies to business that are not owned by a native Kandaran. This puts most of the pressure on Dynastic peers who would expect such a stance from house Ragara, and the Guild..." Manato made a dismissive gesture at their mention, a warming smile returning to his face. "My heart goes out for those sick, if mildly useful bastards. They'll live. This will surely put a strain on your coffers for this month. I will explain how to mitigate this pain momentarily."

"Next is winning allies. Most houses outside of Ragara regard your kin with a modicum of less ire than they do those thin blooded janitors in house Nellens. They need to understand the intense pain they will experience if they do not step forward to stem the tide. The fact that their aid benefits you will be spoken of as little as possible. Many, especially the Mnemons, will need added incentive. Make supply contracts to trade Jade with them at a favorable rate. Get deals to buy from them as well. You own quite a few supplies, you have plenty of negotiating leverage. On top of trade you need them in bed with your military. We propose a joint Threshold defense force. A Legion by parts when we're finished. This will secure the region going forward. Your trade agreements with other territories will encourage their trust as you may have something to lose if they fall. Also, King Hosuri should be there to represent his people. Remind them this is not just a deal with a Ragara driven administration but the whole of the people of Kandara."

"Now the real struggle. Staying afloat as all hell breaks upon the walls. You will need a summoned beast to extract jade and silver specifically for using as trade currency. This will help minimize further expenses while providing a revenue stream to hold in very hard times. The rest we may need to lean on credit. We can call mercenaries with currency on hand. They will charge a lot less when they see things falling into place here. Your house may start pestering you for tribute. Tell them 'their lunch money will be ready for pickup when this place is properly defended. Until then, minimal investment gets minimal return.'"

Manato reached for a drink to wet his throat from his lecture and the smoke drying him out. "Now, if you want to sell us on caring enough to fight ourselves. We need a financial upside. I've already sent for a force of mercenaries for our personal security. I'm willing to front for more as my love of my friends is worth more than my love of coin but I will want new income to get these forces to fight for you if only to cover the expense. To make it work what I ask for is a stake in the mine's equity and farmland where I can raise livestock, cocoa, watermelons, cherries, apples, strawberries, rice, and potatoes. I've been thinking its time not just to double down on food products but get in the restaurant business soon. I could use good land to grow my supply on. Surely it would be of minimal pain to you if I paid your people, King Hosuri, to grow and prepare more delicious food."

"And that is pretty much it... in short your greatest leverage is contracts on goods you control. You'll feel a lot of pain in the short term, but you have precedent and potential to get this place on a good track. Your neighboring rivals will need you as much as you need them now. Show these people, your people and your neighbors, that you have a vision of prosperity and unity that can benefit you all and you may be able to mend the rift. If you have the courage to make the sacrifice you can lead the movement to secure the Threshold and have more time and freedom to make yourself very wealthy. If you're willing to make it worth my time and sweat, I will help sell this vision. What do you say? Ready to negotiate a deal?"

Last edited:
From the look on her face, Satori doesn't want to accept the hard truth presented to her by Asuna, but accept it she appears to do. She even gives the other woman a mildly grateful smile.

[Satori doesn't try to contest either of the two Instill attempts.]

She listens patiently to Manato as he offers his suggestions for solving the crisis. She appears to quail at the mention of stepping aside as Boroma's regent, even if doing so would give her more free time to spend on financial matters. Boroma meanwhile looks almost gleeful at the prospect of receiving a proper education and getting to rule his own kingdom, or at least not having Satori do so for him.

For the rest though, Satori seems to have no objections to Manato's proposals. She turns to Javald, who doesn't look too happy, but nevertheless nods his head in either confirmation or agreement that they're good ideas. With that nonverbal signal, she looks back at Manato.

"Okay then. If you think this will work...then I'm willing to try it." she says. "Might I also offer a suggestion? We've yet to send the latest instalment of tribute to the Blessed Isle, and it's nearly due, so we've gathered the vast majority of it. It's mostly crops, jade, metals and other trade goods. If you believe we should hold off on paying tribute, should we not use what we have here?"

Seeing Satori resist the idea of backing away from the regency was the only troubling sign at present. He stepped forward to whisper his case in her ear. "Think of it this way... when you separate yourself from the law like this, most if not all unfavorable decisions will have to come from the king, that boy there, and he will thank you for the privilege. You could be the loved ruler, a feat that has eluded Mnemon her whole life. That kind of satisfaction is too sweet to pass up, don't you think?"

He stepped back and spoke more frankly with a shrug. "I've no more to say on that matter. It is your decision. As for tribute you can truthfully claim that the supply line is under threat of Anathema and Tribute will be delayed for the stability of future payments. Perfectly honorable path here that none outside of your house could shame you for."

Last edited:
Asuna's eyes widen almost imperceptibly when Satori swallows the bitter pill presented with grace and even gratitude. I'm impressed. I may have badly misjudged her. Would that I had been so quick to accept it. [Asuna gains a Minor Tie of Respect for Satori]

Asuna listens to Manato outline his plan for reform and takes mental notes. It all sounds efficacious, reasonable, and oh so very terrifying to suggest to one's family. Just the thought of suggesting half of that to her mother makes her quail internally. It screams power play for secession, gives favourable trade agreements to rival Houses, and slashes or abandons the tithe for an indeterminate period of time. If executed in full it could be the largest upset in Realm politics since the formation of House V'Neef - discounting the disappearance of the Empress. She's fairly certain starting a successor empire is one of the many things she's forbidden to do while on leave, right up there with 'sparking a civil war'. She won't undermine him in the middle of negotiations, and perhaps after Satori pushes back it will be more reas-

It takes all of Asuna's training to keep her jaw from dropping when Satori's response is to acquiesce on all counts. Oh dear. I think we broke her. I need to find out if she's okay as soon as I can get her alone. This is probably in the running for the worst day of her life, and it's only going to go downhill from here for a while.

When Manato steps back from his whispered conversation she gives him a look with a single arched eyebrow that suggests, 'We need to have a talk after this.'

Xandra crosses her arms in front of her chest and fires off a stern look at Satori. "Why are there none of the other leaders here? Doesn't the size of this army that is coming for the city matter to them? This war will not stop at this city. These Anathema will continue to march until everyone in the area is crushed under their feet. Small forces will be wiped out unless we combine our strength to stop them."

When Manato steps back from his whispered conversation she gives him a look with a single arched eyebrow that suggests, 'We need to have a talk after this.'
Manato gave a slight mischievous smirk as his tell of understanding before he put on a figurative mask for appearances. "What? They'll forget all about a late tribute when it arrives with one or two of those Anathemas' artifacts. Missing food or not." He offered with a shrug to sell the distraction from their silent exchange.

He turned back to Satori and the Ragara council. "Well if you're good with the terms of mine equity, farmland, and a piece of 'loot' or two as compensation for services rendered, let's talk numbers... Once that's settled, I'll make arrangements to win over your guests into fighting for all of our sakes. Tomorrow we'll certainly have our hands full with public announcements and business meetings. But hey... At a party like this, no one should be surprised, am I right?"

Xandra crosses her arms in front of her chest and fires off a stern look at Satori. "Why are there none of the other leaders here? Doesn't the size of this army that is coming for the city matter to them? This war will not stop at this city. These Anathema will continue to march until everyone in the area is crushed under their feet. Small forces will be wiped out unless we combine our strength to stop them."
"I'll venture a guess that's an issue of lack of trust or friendship with them. That's a good thing for us though, as now we have a chance to think of how best to present these facts to convince each of the leaders that this problem affects them too. As productive as this discussion has become, I do concede not many of us put our best foot forward, myself included. With the right preparation and alcohol, however, we won't make that mistake a second time."

Manato's face eased from his harsh disposition to one that showed he enjoyed his work. It was not often he got to bend a crisis for an honest profit. Even if things went bad enough to provoke the deliberative, the fire aspect held immense anticipation at what he could do if they were foolish enough to give him a platform. Ah, those poor mongrels have no idea what would hit them if I had that chance...

Starting from the premise that the offer at large was accepted. Making an instill roll for respect on Satori and pals and a bargain roll for an abstraction of how much equity will be helping to pay our bills in the days ahead if we miraculously come out of this with the same set of character sheets.

Charisma + Presence with a full excellency and a spent willpower on both rolls so adding 3 successes to each... 10 dice with a stunt assuming 2 more for appearance to bring it to 12.
8 to instill, 10 to bargain. (one less on each if their resolve is above 3)

Last edited:
Satori glances at Xandra and Manato, the other woman's unhappy look and voiced assumptions giving her an excuse to regain a smidgeon of her earlier haughtiness. "By other leaders, do you mean the rest of my council, or the other satraps and Dragon-blooded rulers?" she asks.

"If it's the former, the six of us - me, Javald, Kirito, Voruna, Sengon and Zadari - did discuss the matter ourselves during our earlier absence from the gala. I had been given word of Kirito's return, and when I heard what he had to say, I gathered the rest to talk about what we were going to do. It was Sengon who advised us to try and get your help." she answers. "If it's the latter, I imagine many of those at this gala simply have no idea what's happened yet."

---

When it comes time to talk numbers, there's inevitably a good bit of haggling to be had, since for all their faults, Satori and Javald are shrewd and capable when it comes to bargaining. Before long though, the three financially-minded Dynasts have agreed to terms favourable to all, though with Manato perhaps getting a slightly better deal out of it. Slight hints of respect from Satori, Javald, Kirito and Boruma are an additional bonus.

"So. What now?" Satori asks of Manato. "You said you would make arrangements to sway people to our side?"

[Satori, Javald, Kirito and Boruma all gain Minor Ties of Respect towards Manato.]

"That I did my friends. I believe a simple conference with your guests would serve as the ideal platform. I'd wager there are very few guests here without much to contribute to this effort. Once they've assembled I can make the sales pitch from a place of my interests, so any doubts they have would likely fall on me and not you." Manato stated with a smile. "If all goes as planned, I think we'll have some brighter days out in this part of the world. For all of us."

Manato paused to finish off what was left in his pipe and take a pull from a warm flask he kept in his pocket. It was a sobering yet satisfying beverage he kept on hand for when gatherings became more serious. How spoiled his wood aspected kin were. Able to shrug off most inebriation in the blink of an eye. "Ah, given the entertainment everyone is wrapped up in, shall we expect to meet in an hour or so? Too much longer, and I might not have the time to get properly drunk. Hah!"

"While you do that, Manato, I need to see the warstrider and its team." Said Fel, and looked over at Kirito. "I am a pilot. And you now have two Ledaal Savants to ensure its continued operation." He informed them. He had told Satori he was a pilot, but not the actual extent of his knowledge in Warstriders. It felt like bragging if he had said it earlier, but now it was advantageous information.

"I need to know how much resources and materials you available for warstrider. This includes whichever material the warstrider is made of. If you have any raw, you need to set any foundries and smiths to get it processed as soon as possible. This warstrider is going to take a beating, and we will time will be too limited to wait until its damaged to prepare them."

"The legs are usually the first target in disabling a warstrider. I want enough parts to fully replace two limbs at any given time. Bold anathema go straight for the cockpit. They will pry it open to get to me if they get the chance, so will need armor plates ready to switch out upon each return. If they can't kill me, they will attempt to remove the Hearthstone powering it. That will leave me dead in the water, and I will not be able to free myself in time to avoid any killing blows. I have one, but any greater hearthstones you can spare can prevent this."

"I need all blueprints and notes you have on the machine. The more I know about it, the more effective I will be, the more of its secrets I can unlock, And the faster I can help get it repaired."

"Lastly, if you have any store of artifacts, now is the time to put them to use. And if we can't use them... then we need to bury them so deep no anathema will find them should we fall."

He sounded a bit more demanding than he intended. But as serious as the situation was, and if they were going to use the warstrider as much as he was expecting, then he had to be demanding. A lot of people took warstriders for granted. But they were not so simple as donning and doffing armor. And they are not so easily maintained. If you did not take care of one, it was not going to take care of you.

"While you do that, Manato, I need to see the warstrider and its team." Said Fel, and looked over at Kirito. "I am a pilot. And you now have two Ledaal Savants to ensure its continued operation." He informed them. He had told Satori he was a pilot, but not the actual extent of his knowledge in Warstriders. It felt like bragging if he had said it earlier, but now it was advantageous information.

"I need to know how much resources and materials you available for warstrider. This includes whichever material the warstrider is made of. If you have any raw, you need to set any foundries and smiths to get it processed as soon as possible. This warstrider is going to take a beating, and we will time will be too limited to wait until its damaged to prepare them."

"The legs are usually the first target in disabling a warstrider. I want enough parts to fully replace two limbs at any given time. Bold anathema go straight for the cockpit. They will pry it open to get to me if they get the chance, so will need armor plates ready to switch out upon each return. If they can't kill me, they will attempt to remove the Hearthstone powering it. That will leave me dead in the water, and I will not be able to free myself in time to avoid any killing blows. I have one, but any greater hearthstones you can spare can prevent this."

"I need all blueprints and notes you have on the machine. The more I know about it, the more effective I will be, the more of its secrets I can unlock, And the faster I can help get it repaired."

"Lastly, if you have any store of artifacts, now is the time to put them to use. And if we can't use them... then we need to bury them so deep no anathema will find them should we fall."

He sounded a bit more demanding than he intended. But as serious as the situation was, and if they were going to use the warstrider as much as he was expecting, then he had to be demanding. A lot of people took warstriders for granted. But they were not so simple as donning and doffing armor. And they are not so easily maintained. If you did not take care of one, it was not going to take care of you.

Kirito looks impressed at Fel's grasp of what he'll need, giving him an approving nod.

[Kirito gains a Minor Tie of Respect towards Fel.]

"I don't have exact numbers, but I do know that we've got enough of everything you requested to keep you and the warstrider in the field for at least two months." he says. "I'll put you in touch with Ledaal Kessi; she's the one in charge of everything related to the warstrider."

Fel remembers the name Ledaal Kessi. She's another Air Aspect, and was in the House of Bells warstrider training program at the same time as him, and while he did come out ahead of her in terms of marks, it was only by a small amount. From what he remembers, she too was assigned to pilot a warstrider, but a battle with one of the Frenzied left her with severe injuries that put an end to that career. Though from what Kirito has told him, these injuries were not enough to prevent her from overseeing the management of one.

"Otherwise, you can approach her yourself; she's a guest at this party. You'll recognize her easily enough; she's got white hair, wears a sky-blue qipao, and her right arm and left leg are both artificial. Steel constructs with thin veins of green jade running over them. Her left eye is white jade." continues Kirito.

---

"That I did my friends. I believe a simple conference with your guests would serve as the ideal platform. I'd wager there are very few guests here without much to contribute to this effort. Once they've assembled I can make the sales pitch from a place of my interests, so any doubts they have would likely fall on me and not you." Manato stated with a smile. "If all goes as planned, I think we'll have some brighter days out in this part of the world. For all of us."

Manato paused to finish off what was left in his pipe and take a pull from a warm flask he kept in his pocket. It was a sobering yet satisfying beverage he kept on hand for when gatherings became more serious. How spoiled his wood aspected kin were. Able to shrug off most inebriation in the blink of an eye. "Ah, given the entertainment everyone is wrapped up in, shall we expect to meet in an hour or so? Too much longer, and I might not have the time to get properly drunk. Hah!"

Satori, Kirito, Javald and Boruma nod in agreement. As the other three leave to attend to matters elsewhere, Kirito holds Manato back.

"A word, if you please." he says, and doesn't speak again until it's just him, Manato and Boruma in the room, along with anyone else in the group who wants to stay.

"I wouldn't be too harsh on the king here. As objectionable as you might have found his words earlier, he does have good reason for such sentiments." he starts to explain. "After his father was killed, Satori and the other Ragaras excluded him from all governmental matters. And this wasn't just due to his young age; she shut down all attempts to have him tutored or educated in matters of statecraft."

"I know why she did it, of course. She just wanted me to be her puppet. A king in name only, completely dependent on her to rule." replies Boruma, who's looking more relaxed now that Satori's out of the room. "But I don't want that. I want to be a great king. I want to lead my people, ensure that they can not only survive, but prosper and be content. Not having the means to do so is...beyond frustrating."

"He spends most of his time studying in the library, trying to teach himself how to be a good ruler." continues Kirito. "And I've given him what instruction I can in my spare time, but I'm a soldier, not a statesman. Those two roles only overlap so much. Still though, he's smart, and he's actually a Dragon-blooded himself. I've no doubt that, with time and the proper instructions, he could become a great king."

There's a proud edge in his voice as he speaks.

"I could discern much of that in your expressions as I said it." Manato said with a sigh. "Understand, what I want is for this nation of ours to be both a stable and prosperous place for everyone. How can we sit back and let the temple spew such claims of our superiority when many of us watch our subjects suffer needlessly on a daily basis? If we are to tell the people we are divine beings they should look up to, we have to be those diving beings. Businessmen and women should all understand how cheap words are. Yet for some reason, this wisdom ends when the words come from themself."

"King Boruma. I understand your anger and your pain. I've made the best case I can to get Satori to relax and focus on other things, even if the words I had to use were ones you might hate to hear. You have a very important crossroad ahead of you right now. You need an idea of who it is you want to be. What you want to leave behind on this Earth when you retire. You can't be certain these will be the same answers the rest of your life, but they will provide a crucial direction for you to start in. Once you know what kind of person, what kind of king, you wish to be, pick a regent who you think can impart the wisdom and expertise you need to make your dream a reality. I will have your back, and that of the Kandaran people. As you saw, I can benefit greatly from doing so."

Manato gave both his cousin and the king a gentle pat on the shoulder and looked at them with an expression that radiated peace and confidence. "Try not to let the weight of things bring you down. I have brought mighty, capable allies on this trip. We have a plan that I believe will give us both a good, fighting chance at victory, and a path to a better tomorrow. If you have anything else you need I'm happy to see what we can do."

Kirito looks impressed at Fel's grasp of what he'll need, giving him an approving nod.

[Kirito gains a Minor Tie of Respect towards Fel.]

"I don't have exact numbers, but I do know that we've got enough of everything you requested to keep you and the warstrider in the field for at least two months." he says. "I'll put you in touch with Ledaal Kessi; she's the one in charge of everything related to the warstrider."

Fel remembers the name Ledaal Kessi. She's another Air Aspect, and was in the House of Bells warstrider training program at the same time as him, and while he did come out ahead of her in terms of marks, it was only by a small amount. From what he remembers, she too was assigned to pilot a warstrider, but a battle with one of the Frenzied left her with severe injuries that put an end to that career. Though from what Kirito has told him, these injuries were not enough to prevent her from overseeing the management of one.

"Otherwise, you can approach her yourself; she's a guest at this party. You'll recognize her easily enough; she's got white hair, wears a sky-blue qipao, and her right arm and left leg are both artificial. Steel constructs with thin veins of green jade running over them. Her left eye is white jade." continues Kirito.

---

Satori, Kirito, Javald and Boruma nod in agreement. As the other three leave to attend to matters elsewhere, Kirito holds Manato back.

"A word, if you please." he says, and doesn't speak again until it's just him, Manato and Boruma in the room, along with anyone else in the group who wants to stay.

"I wouldn't be too harsh on the king here. As objectionable as you might have found his words earlier, he does have good reason for such sentiments." he starts to explain. "After his father was killed, Satori and the other Ragaras excluded him from all governmental matters. And this wasn't just due to his young age; she shut down all attempts to have him tutored or educated in matters of statecraft."

"I know why she did it, of course. She just wanted me to be her puppet. A king in name only, completely dependent on her to rule." replies Boruma, who's looking more relaxed now that Satori's out of the room. "But I don't want that. I want to be a great king. I want to lead my people, ensure that they can not only survive, but prosper and be content. Not having the means to do so is...beyond frustrating."

"He spends most of his time studying in the library, trying to teach himself how to be a good ruler." continues Kirito. "And I've given him what instruction I can in my spare time, but I'm a soldier, not a statesman. Those two roles only overlap so much. Still though, he's smart, and he's actually a Dragon-blooded himself. I've no doubt that, with time and the proper instructions, he could become a great king."

There's a proud edge in his voice as he speaks.

"Normally that would be good news, General. But with as intense as this campaign is appearing to be, we will have to do things the expensive way to keep it in the field. What may be suitable for normal campaigns may not line up with the logistics here."

"Normally," he explained,"We plan time for repairs. Dents and gouges are easy to fix. But as soon as innards begin taking damage, performance suffers dramatically, and those issues can take days or weeks to repair. Needless to say, we don't have that time, and as soon as they learn we have a warstrider, one strategy to take them down is to constantly hammer at it, then strike when it is under repair. They can take advantage of that time. By taking a modular approach, we can replace whole parts with fresh ones then the damaged parts can be repaired while I am in the field. With two savants, we should be able to pull it off and drastically reduce the time the warstrider is in the shop."

"Kessi..." he said, almost fondly. When he looked back now, it was hard to believe that they competed so bitterly. Every time he looked back to those days, he saw it for what it was, ridiculous children's drama. A youthful rivalry. Fighting to be the best in the class, metaphorically speaking, and maybe a time or two literally. Sabotaging each other. Good times, good times. But... she really was one of the reason he had gotten such high marks. If it wasn't for that rivalry, that striving to be better than her, then it was safe to say that Fel would not have come this far.

It was all the more heartbreaking when news of the attack happened. All that hard work, such a promising and bright future, wiped away in a single tragic encounter. It shouldn't have ended that way for her.

And she was here, and it was some relief that he knew someone as good as her was going to look after the warstrider. But... then he had a thought. He hadn't seen her since back then. And he didn't even know how she felt about him now. He could only imagine that she held a grudge because he got to be a pilot when she couldn't. Or maybe her views of him changed as his did of her. Who knows.... well he would, shortly.

"Thank you General. Keep me updated." With that, Fel turned to the king and offered a respectful bow, "By your leave, your majesty." He said, excusing himself.

Fel would return to the party. To find Ledaal Kessi.

As they all file out of the room Asuna lets her hand casually brush Satori's to get her attention, then leans in to speak softly, "I understand your time at this critical moment is exceptionally precious, but I would selfishly ask some for myself all the same. In the unlikely event you find yourself with a free moment, please find me. I think I'll enjoy a contemplative walk in your gardens; you've given me quite a lot to think about." She squeezes Satori's fingers reassuringly and slips away.

When there was no further conversation to be had with Boruma and Kirito, Manato departed to meet with Asuna in private as she had silently asked. Between his audacious lack of restraint in his own opinions and agendas, the rather shocking acceptance of it all, and the look he got from her and others, even he thought there was many things they needed to coordinate prior to moving forward. It was too much chaos for one person to set in order. Asuna, Xandra, Larissa and Fel were a large part of why Manato felt better coming out of the meeting than the shadow of doom that hung over them before the meeting. They had time, precious little though it was, it was something they could work with at least.

"Well... I can't say that went as I expected. If they are willing to make tough choices like that, it could either be a good sign or an absolutely terrible one, right? Where do you want to start?" Manato asked as he started refilling his pipe.

With Manato...
"...If we are to tell the people we are divine beings they should look up to, we have to be those diving beings..."

Kirito nods. "Sengon's been telling us that for a long time. But I feel like I'm the only one who's listened. Hopefully though, the rest of them will take it to heart now."

"King Boruma. I understand your anger and your pain. I've made the best case I can to get Satori to relax and focus on other things, even if the words I had to use were ones you might hate to hear. You have a very important crossroad ahead of you right now. You need an idea of who it is you want to be. What you want to leave behind on this Earth when you retire. You can't be certain these will be the same answers the rest of your life, but they will provide a crucial direction for you to start in. Once you know what kind of person, what kind of king, you wish to be, pick a regent who you think can impart the wisdom and expertise you need to make your dream a reality. I will have your back, and that of the Kandaran people. As you saw, I can benefit greatly from doing so."

Manato gave both his cousin and the king a gentle pat on the shoulder and looked at them with an expression that radiated peace and confidence. "Try not to let the weight of things bring you down. I have brought mighty, capable allies on this trip. We have a plan that I believe will give us both a good, fighting chance at victory, and a path to a better tomorrow. If you have anything else you need I'm happy to see what we can do."

Boruma smiles and nods. "You have my thanks, Manato. For your advice, and for giving me the chance to rule my kingdom. I promise that I shall treasure both most dearly."

The king then looks at him and then Kirito. "It seems that I have many things to think about." he says. "I shall retire to my room and ruminate on them, and perhaps look for further insight in the library. I will see you all an hour later."

With that, he leaves.

With Fel...
Due to Kirito's description and his own memories of her, it doesn't take long for Fel to locate Ledall Kessi. She's stood by one of the drinks tables in the main hall, sipping from a goblet of wine, her white hair done up in a high bun. Like Kirito had mentioned, her entire right arm, including the shoulder, is entirely made of steel. Anatomically it resembles a normal human arm, except all the joints are visible, and there is a network of thin green jade veins running down from the shoulder to the fingertips. While her qipao reaches down to her ankles and doesn't have particularly long side slits, there's still enough shown to reveal that her left leg is the exact same. Her left arm meanwhile is encased in a green lace glove that goes all the way up to her shoulder, and has a pattern that greatly resembles the veins on her metal arm. Her right leg has a near identically patterned stocking.

When Fel approaches her, she turns around to greet him, her metal leg lifting and turning just like a human leg would. With her facing him, Fel sees that her left eye is a sphere of white jade, with a circle of blue jade where the iris would be on a flesh eye, and the whole thing able to turn and rotate within the eye socket. Running across the eye is a faded scar like the one Tahaki had. Overall though, Kessi still looks quite pretty (Appearance 3), and is clearly at ease and confident within her skin.

"Well, if it isn't Ledaal Fel." Kessi says, immediately recognizing him and clearly happy to see him. "To think that we would run into each other here of all places."

With Asuna...
Satori smiles and nods at the other woman when she makes her offer. "Of course, I'll see you later." she says. True enough, she does not approach Asuna for a while, giving the Water Aspect and Manato some time to talk with each other.

As they walk through a distant and secluded part of the gardens beside a decorative pond lit softly by paper lanterns Asuna smiles sweetly at Manato and says in a saccharine voice, "Manato. Love of my life. Wind in my sails. Rose of my garden. Fire of my loins. Pillar of my estate. Oasis of my desert." She rounds on him with all the force of a tsunami crashing back to shore, "Why the fuck didn't you tell me you had dreams of raising an Eastern Empress to don the Scarlet? This isn't just political suicide, it's actual suicide. If the Anathema don't get me I'll have a glass of hemlock waiting for me back on the Isle if my name becomes attached to this. I don't know about you, but I had no intention of making my Threshold vacation permanent. Imagine if Berit does the same thing in the South and Peleps in the West. The whole fucking Realm will fall apart."

Manato seems unshaken but a bit confused. "Asuna. Love of my life. Wind in my wings. Fire of my hearth. Fountain of my joy. Foundation of my strength. Rest in my weariness. Maybe I misspoke or there was a misunderstanding. I don't want to fracture the empire at all. I'm trying to prevent as many losses to it as I can. I don't want this satrapy to secede or get any grand ideas beyond its station. In fact, I'm having to remind her that she is not supposed to be playing Queen. That was never the Empress's intent with this system. We may be eleven Great Houses but this is ONE Realm. These people are people of the Realm. I want this place to survive long enough for things to turn around by trying to be a bit more self-sufficient."

Manato looked into Asuna's eyes with an overwhelming concern for her well-being. He wasn't sure if she was more angry or afraid. He reached for both her hands and drew closer to her. Her concerns were well-founded, they've been hit with an immense amount of problems to deal with and his response was a bit complicated and an ambitious reversal of course. He spoke again in a reverent tone. "What else would you have me do? What else can be done? If we walk away and surrender they will hunt down us and that stupid tribute before it even gets back to the isle, which if things go as planned will only be a couple of weeks to a month late. I want us to have a future together. A long one. Not one cut short by political infighting on the isle, conspiracies of incompetent bureaucrats, angry mobs, or even an anathema horde. This will not be the end of us."

The fire aspect raised a hand to Asuna's cheek, a loving smile spread across his face. "Now let's slow down... What I've asked her to do was lower taxes, step down as regent since it violates imperial policy anyway, and make nice with her neighbors so they can be safe from anathema. I didn't expect her to agree to most of that either, but it is what I honestly recommend to keep the people within and without from burning this whole place down. What do you want to change about it?"

Last edited:
Asuna tries very hard to maintain her glare but after a few seconds can't help but smile, "That's... that's cheating! I'm trying to stay mad at you so I don't have to be scared and you're being unbearably sweet. You're so inconsiderate!"

She looks away, closes her eyes, and puts her face back in order before turning back, squeezing his hands with a slightly uncomfortable intensity, "I'm not arguing your plan isn't sensible, darling, but if we all did sensible things all the time where would we be? Certainly not here. You tell me where I've gone wrong, Mr. Spiral Academy. We all maintain the polite fiction that the tithe pays for the defense of the Threshold. We maintain House monopolies on Satrapial trade to ensure the Blessed Isle remains the hub of Creation's trade network. If you negotiate a mutual defense treaty and trade network between Satrapies, then they stop paying the tithe, and then together they hold off a threat of this magnitude without any help from the Isle, what message does that send? Every two bit queen and ambitious Satrap in the East is going to recognize that they're better off without us. Which, for the first time in seven centuries, is true, because those legions they're paying for aren't coming."

She pauses - both for breath an effect - and lets a little bit of real fear and concern for his safety show through the mask, "If you don't, someone else is going to come up with the bright idea to take this alliance and declare themselves Eastern Empress, and that's either going to start a war or, worse, the strategic stalemate on the Isle will mean no one lifts a finger to stop it, and the Realm will fall apart. It could take decades or centuries to put back together, and we'll all be indicted for treason. If I wanted to make the Realm fragment this is exactly how I would do it - you're so Dragons-damned clever you're going to save Kandara and shatter the empire doing it."

Manato gets a smug smirk on his face. "Ah, but your projection didn't go far enough. You see... we are going to save Kandara and we are going to go home. We are going to warn the deliberative of your fears. Because you are right. We tell them we had to stop the Solar horde. Had to stop them from rolling over this territory, taking the Jade, the warstrider, the port, all of it... We use this to get the Legions back out here to prevent things from going from bad to worse. To keep another Bull from cutting through our people like a hot knife on butter."

"You see, my love, you and I can put on our masks as good faith protectors of the Realm to get those know-nothing numbskulls to extract their brains from their buttocks and do the right dragons damned thing for one time in their meager lives. I know I've got more hope than sense, but what's the alternative? Guaranteeing a slow defeat to Solars? That's not playing to win. That's not you, or me. They dance on our strings. Let's go kick ass! We can do this!" Manato nearly shouted, trying to raise Asuna's spirits.

Asuna looks genuinely taken aback. She blinks several times, "That... well... that is... I... oh. I see." She blushes. Involuntarily. She hasn't done that in years. She leans back slightly and gives Manato the critical appraisal of something that has suddenly proven itself unexpectedly dangerous and interesting. Her heart beats faster as she starts to feel excited for the future for the first time in a long time. Dragons, how long has it been since she thought the future held anything except a pointless death in a stupid war against her cousins? It might only delay the inevitable, but maybe that was enough. A genuine smile slowly blooms over her features as an elation borne of a looming fear having its inevitability stripped away wells up inside her, "I... doubted you. I apologize. You are rather good at this conniving idealism thing you have going, aren't you? I like it. I admit, I would dearly love for my legion to be doing something more productive than getting into back alley brawls with Imperial Marines in Chanos." The feeling becomes overwhelming and she embraces Manato with a ferocity that surprises her. "Thank you," she whispers in his ear, her voice thick with emotion.

After a few moments she pulls back, her smile widening and her eyes sparkling, "I may have to consider the possibility that something of value is taught at the Spiral Academy after all. You might, maybe, be better at this than I am. I'm not convinced yet. I want to see you do it a few more times just to be sure."

[Asuna gains a Major Principle of "Manato might have what it takes to drive real change in the Realm.", upgrades her Minor Tie of Affection to Major, adds a Minor Tie of Gratitude, and adds a Minor Principle of "There may be hope for the future of the Realm after all."]

The increasingly intense embrace squeezed a chuckle out of Manato as he returned it. Seeing her fears melt from her face and her heart was precious. He even pondered buying a sealed memory of it from a sorcerer. Not a viable option sadly. He can't let others in on his plans like that. No, he liked that she was the only one to catch a glimpse behind the curtain. Not many could appreciate the makings of his grand show like Asuna anyway.

"If it means I get to see you like this again, I guarantee you will my darling Asuna. I'll give you the hint that I can wring far more profit out of this little venture than you've yet to imagine. As for the school... well... I wouldn't have too high of hopes for the Spiral Academy. It was a path I took in part because of my name and because I wanted to avoid the pitfall plaguing so many of our peers. Debt. I had to entrust the education I truly wanted to Tepet Sojiro, my father. Sadly, I lost him before I could inherit all I'd hoped. That's... probably all I should say for now. This is supposed to be an uplifting occasion."

His smile brightened when he took another pull from his flask and offered it to Asuna. It still steamed from the heat of its contents. All the better for the aroma of chocolate to waft through the garden air. "I promise there's not too much coffee in there to ruin the taste. It's what I keep on hand for when I have to talk business at a party." Assuming she relieved him of the flask, he'd use the free hand to light his pipe with another snap.

"So... After this little conference, you up for sneaking off and getting drunk with me? Or is there another game afoot?" Manato asked rather bluntly. He knew enough of what was going on that she'd be trying to keep tabs on the other guests. He would too if he didn't trust her to do a better job of it. And of course, the matter of this being a vacation.

[Manato reveals a Major tie of Mourning for Tepet Sojiro to Asuna and reveals a minor tie of condescension to the Spiral Academy. He upgrades his Affection for her to Major and adds a minor tie of Respect for anticipating crucial implications in his plot.]

With Manato...

Kirito nods. "Sengon's been telling us that for a long time. But I feel like I'm the only one who's listened. Hopefully though, the rest of them will take it to heart now."

Boruma smiles and nods. "You have my thanks, Manato. For your advice, and for giving me the chance to rule my kingdom. I promise that I shall treasure both most dearly."

The king then looks at him and then Kirito. "It seems that I have many things to think about." he says. "I shall retire to my room and ruminate on them, and perhaps look for further insight in the library. I will see you all an hour later."

With that, he leaves.

With Fel...
Due to Kirito's description and his own memories of her, it doesn't take long for Fel to locate Ledall Kessi. She's stood by one of the drinks tables in the main hall, sipping from a goblet of wine, her white hair done up in a high bun. Like Kirito had mentioned, her entire right arm, including the shoulder, is entirely made of steel. Anatomically it resembles a normal human arm, except all the joints are visible, and there is a network of thin green jade veins running down from the shoulder to the fingertips. While her qipao reaches down to her ankles and doesn't have particularly long side slits, there's still enough shown to reveal that her left leg is the exact same. Her left arm meanwhile is encased in a green lace glove that goes all the way up to her shoulder, and has a pattern that greatly resembles the veins on her metal arm. Her right leg has a near identically patterned stocking.

When Fel approaches her, she turns around to greet him, her metal leg lifting and turning just like a human leg would. With her facing him, Fel sees that her left eye is a sphere of white jade, with a circle of blue jade where the iris would be on a flesh eye, and the whole thing able to turn and rotate within the eye socket. Running across the eye is a faded scar like the one Tahaki had. Overall though, Kessi still looks quite pretty (Appearance 3), and is clearly at ease and confident within her skin.

"Well, if it isn't Ledaal Fel." Kessi says, immediately recognizing him and clearly happy to see him. "To think that we would run into each other here of all places."

With Asuna...
Satori smiles and nods at the other woman when she makes her offer. "Of course, I'll see you later." she says. True enough, she does not approach Asuna for a while, giving the Water Aspect and Manato some time to talk with each other.

And there she was. The description of Kirito did not do her justice, the combination of mundane and magical materials was exquisitely put together. The veins of jade placed just so that a lesser man might think they were for decoration and accent rather than an integral part of their design. Even as he got closer he could not hear the any wirs of gears or see any shimmers of essence as it would be if made by an amateur. No doubt her own work... Oh, and she looked nice in the dress too.

"Ledaal Kessi. I would have gone with green jade for the eye, myself." He said with a smirk, but his tone conveyed a friendly teasing. Of course he would have gone with white jade, too many people underestimated the compatibility of earth with living tissue. And the benefits of white jade in a the slight ovoid shape were far outweighed that green would in the same geometrical.... no. Fel could not let his thoughts go on a tangent.

"Part of me says that I could not be happier to see you. However... the other part of me wishes that you were anywhere but here." It was not meant as an insult, his smile betrayed his worry. He really was happy to see her, but there was no denying war was just around the corner. And war meant death. He knew she was a Ledaal, she would relish the chance as much as he would when it came to striking against the anathema, however he did not like the idea that she could now be a potential casualty.

"Walk with me, Kessi, please. Manato is likely to be crashing the party soon to discuss boring things like trade and politics . Now is a good time to flee, and for that reason most of all."

"And Satori has informed me of most impressive project you have been working on, and I would very much like to see it for myself." He said casually, but his tone shifted to being much more serious."There is going to be great need of it shortly."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back