• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Exalted 3E - Tale of a Falling Empire IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Manato made no effort to stifle a chuckle at Asuna's remark. He responded with a genuine smile of his own as he drew nearer to Asuna. He'd place a hand at her side, half hugging her and making a show of admiring her as he spoke. "Ah I can't blame you for your confusion master Voruna. I struggle myself to keep up with her sometimes." He turned his eyes back Voruna with a notably less jovial expression. "Alas, I think you might want to consider taking her up on her offer. These are troubling times indeed and good help is hard to come by."

Asuna accepts Voruna's deflection, following his eyes with curiosity, "Of course." She leans slightly into Manato's touch and smiles at him, "It's fine, Manato. I wouldn't want to impose." She studies Voruna surreptitiously - as much as she may enjoy poking fun at him he's clearly too polite to spar, and if she gets on his bad side he could make her stay here exceedingly uncomfortable. "Should you change your mind, you know where to find me. My door is always open," she says with an inviting smile.

She follows Voruna's gaze off in the direction of Satori's retreating form, "I had hoped to greet our hostess, but she is clearly otherwise engaged. I don't suppose you play Gateway, Lord Ragara? I've been meaning to find my handicap in Kandara."

Let's at least do him the honour of figuring out if he's up to anything at the party. Anything less would be disrespectful. General Read Intentions for what he wants to get out of the scene, and of course Asuna is curious about whether there's more to his wandering eyes than her eye catching outfit. He's probably just listening in because it's his business to know when a bunch of tourists form an impromptu Wyld Hunt on his turf, but it never hurts to check.

4m Socialize Excellency for 2 sux - if we're going to tangle with a master of disguise might as well do it properly
Per 2 + Soc 5 + Stunt 2 = 9; uhhh, 12 hits - well, that was overkill

and while we're at it Instill a Minor Tie of Fascination for Asuna
App 5 + Soc 5 + Stunt 2 + App Bonus... 2? = 14 (but drop the final two dice if his Resolve is higher than 3) 5 hits, appearance bonus turned out to be irrelevant.

With Fel...
Javald is saved from having to respond to Fel's "offer" by the appearance of Mucao, but Fel can feel the suspicious look burning down on his back as he follows Satori and the major-domo.

When Fel questions her, Satori appears to have regained a modicum of calm. "It is, Fel, but thank you for your concern." she says. "The major-domo has just informed me of a small issue that's come up elsewhere. I shouldn't be gone for too long, though. Enjoy the party in the meantime."

With that, she turns around and starts making her way towards the doors of the hall, offering greetings to the various guests that she passes. Mucao is also making his own exit.

Elsewhere...
Voruna keeps up his smile while raising an eyebrow. "Sesus Asuna, was it? I'm sure that I don't know what you're talking about." he replies, taking a moment to look Asuna up and down as he does so.

With a bit of keen-eyedness, Manato, Xandra, Larissa and Asuna will spot Satori moving through the party at an unhurried pace, heading in the direction of the hall doors. Voruna gives her a cursory glance, but otherwise thinks nothing of it.

Fel gives a few soft puffs of his pipe, getting the embers inside to be alight with renewed vigor as he watches Satori leave to handle whatever issue she has been called to handle. Hopefully it was nothing that would distract her for long.

With the pipe being alight once more, he took it from his lips and offered it to Javald. "A friend of mine's special blend. Care to try?" He asked.

Though it of course was little more than a lead up to his next topic. Of which he spoke casually but softly so as not to let his voice travel far, yet his eyes remained towards where Satori was heading. "I have never been one to take much interest in the subtle game of words. Have never been quite good at it, to be frank. So allow me to be direct. To what vexation have I caused that you would look at me so?"

With Fel...
Javald silently refuses the offered pipe, and joins Fel in watching Satori leave the room.

"If you can't figure it out for yourself, I fail to see why I should tell you." he answers equally quietly, before turning his gaze onto the darker-haired Dynast, as if attempting to analyse him. "What does it matter to you, anyway?"

[Javald is attempting a Read Intentions action against Fel. He has six dice, but is also spending 4m of Essence for 2 bonus successes. He gets 9 successes, crushing Fel's Guile.]

Elsewhere...
"I do indeed play, Lady Asuna." replies Voruna, smiling while studying her in return. "Perhaps we could begin a game at the Gateway tables within the gaming lounge?"

[With a Guile of 5, Voruna is unable to hide his intentions from Asuna, with said intentions being to find out why the group are getting themselves involved in Kandara's affairs. With a Resolve of 4, he gains a Minor Tie of Fascination towards Asuna.

Also, Voruna is attempting a Read Intentions of his own against Asuna. He has 9 dice for this, and is also going to use 4m of Essence for 2 bonus successes. He gets 4 successes, not enough to overcome Asuna's Guile.]

With Fel...
Javald silently refuses the offered pipe, and joins Fel in watching Satori leave the room.

"If you can't figure it out for yourself, I fail to see why I should tell you." he answers equally quietly, before turning his gaze onto the darker-haired Dynast, as if attempting to analyse him. "What does it matter to you, anyway?"

[Javald is attempting a Read Intentions action against Fel. He has six dice, but is also spending 4m of Essence for 2 bonus successes. He gets 9 successes, crushing Fel's Guile.]

Elsewhere...
"I do indeed play, Lady Asuna." replies Voruna, smiling while studying her in return. "Perhaps we could begin a game at the Gateway tables within the gaming lounge?"

[With a Guile of 5, Voruna is unable to hide his intentions from Asuna, with said intentions being to find out why the group are getting themselves involved in Kandara's affairs. With a Resolve of 4, he gains a Minor Tie of Fascination towards Asuna.

Also, Voruna is attempting a Read Intentions of his own against Asuna. He has 9 dice for this, and is also going to use 4m of Essence for 2 bonus successes. He gets 4 successes, not enough to overcome Asuna's Guile.]

Fel shrugged and returned the pipe to his mouth. "I can assume motives, if you would like. I could think that you were being jealous of me be and Lady Satori being on amiable terms. I could think you see me as a threat any hidden plans you may have. I could even think that you suspect me as being little more than worthless scion attempting to worm myself into a Ragaran household for riches and esteem and that you are being overly protective of your family."

"I could think all of that, but I don't. To assume your intentions when I could ask you directly would be a disservice and an insult, infringing upon your integrity and honor. You should answer, so that we may remedy such misgivings. And it matters to me, because I am here to help Satori, as she has stated, and therefore I wish to treat her allies and family with the same respect that I would show my own." He said simply and matter of factly.

Read Intentions:
This man, this dynast. Either he was so skilled and cunning as to hide seriously malicious motives behind such a believable act of innocence to throw off any attempts to sus out his true thoughts, or he really was such a naively open book.

No, it was certainly the latter. The man was a soldier, the kind that frequented the honest grunts of the vanguard rather than the decorated Legion generals vying for House favor. His words were as blunt as a boulder, and there was not even a change in pitch as to suggest he was thinking about anything other than what he was saying. Even the phrases he used left little wiggle room for what he meant, as Javald might be accustomed to hearing from more courtly Dynasts.

From the look in the Ledaal's eyes, there was nothing here in this gala that he looked upon with a covetous or predatory gaze. While Fel's eyes might have flickered to the more shapely parts of his cousins figure as he walked away, it was hard to blame him given the effect she had on others.

But this man was a Ledaal, and that needed to be taken into account. And like the man's kin, he seemed as disinterested in court intrigue and political ambition as the lot of them. To such an extent he wasn't even pretending to take part in the appearance of such.

To that end Javald should be fairly confident that Fel really was just trying to get along. And his question driven by curiosity and goodwill rather than any ulterior motive. The most that Javald could say is that Fel was taking his offer to help to heart, and was making steps to do just that.

Javald's face gives nothing away as Fel lists the possible reasons for the Ragara's ill feelings. When the Ledaal is finished speaking, he gives a minute nod of acknowledgment.

"Perhaps I have misjudged you." he admits. "I feared you might have intended to make unwelcome advances on the Satrap. Though I suppose I can hardly blame you for doing so. Only a blind person could deny her beauty."

He looks around again, but Satori is still absent, and he turns his attention back to at Fel. "She said that you wish to help us?"

Javald's face gives nothing away as Fel lists the possible reasons for the Ragara's ill feelings. When the Ledaal is finished speaking, he gives a minute nod of acknowledgment.

"Perhaps I have misjudged you." he admits. "I feared you might have intended to make unwelcome advances on the Satrap. Though I suppose I can hardly blame you for doing so. Only a blind person could deny her beauty."

He looks around again, but Satori is still absent, and he turns his attention back to at Fel. "She said that you wish to help us?"
Taking a sip of his drink, Fel shook his head as he swallowed, "While I will not deny that the thought hadn't crossed my mind, it would be nothing more than that a fleeting fantasy. Neither of our Houses would likely approve of any such pairing, regardless of feelings. And I would not stoop to such dishonor as to make any 'unwelcome advances'."

"But my intention to help has nothing to do with the sort. I want nothing more than the best for the realm and its territories. I have offered my help at my own expense, asking nothing in return."

"I do wish to help," he repeated."I am not blind to the misfortunes plaguing the satrapy, and I am keen on believing the rumors that sinister exaltation are at work. This sort of unrest is not uncommon where anathema deign to tread. And it is not irreparable if we can treat the symptoms soon enough."

Noting Satori's absence still, he commented again. "I do not suppose you happen to know the nature of what matter has left our hostess indisposed? It may be a fault of mine, but when I smell anathema, I can not help but suspect them behind even minor things. They use such subtly deviois methods."

Javald gives a shake of his head, then turns in the direction of the door Satori left through. "My guess is that some important matter's been bought to her attention by the major-domo. Can't think what, though." he says, sounding a little bit more friendly now.

Javald gives a shake of his head, then turns in the direction of the door Satori left through. "My guess is that some important matter's been bought to her attention by the major-domo. Can't think what, though." he says, sounding a little bit more friendly now.

"Well surely so. But 'what' is the intriguing thing." Fel said, setting his half finished drink on the tray of a passing server.

"Want to go find out?" Fel asked, giving a slightly mischievous smile. "Surely you are a little bit curious. If its important, she might need a hand. Besides, it might be something amusing as the wine cellar being flooded due to a series of faulty casks. Or one of the fights at the ground have gotten out of hand and turned into a team brawl."

Javald snorts. "I doubt that we need concern ourselves with such matters." he says, shortly before he notices a servant approaching the two of them, without a platter of food or drinks.

"Yes?" the blond man asks haughtily.

"Forgive me, blessed one." says the servant. "The satrap...she requests the immediate presence of all the members of her council within the meeting chamber."

"What? Why?" demands Javald.

"She did not say, blessed one." the servant replies with a furtive glance towards Fel. "She only said that it was a most urgent matter."

Javald exhales, sounding both concerned and frustrated. "Very well. Go." he orders.

The servant scurries off, and Javald turns to Fel. "It seems my attention is required elsewhere. Good evening." he says curtly, before turning around and walking off.

Elsewhere...
Another servant approaches the group containing Voruna, and delivers a very similar message to the one Javald got; the spymaster is to join the rest of Satori's council in the meeting chamber on the upper levels of the palace. Voruna accepts the news with a curt nod, and gives the rest of the group a theatrical sigh.

"My apologies, but it seems duty calls for me." he says. "Until next time, my friends."

With that, he turns around and heads towards the hall doors. Shortly after he has left the group, Mnemon Sokuma approaches Larissa, his eyes flickering between the departing figures of Javald and Voruna. High Archpriest Shaalesh is nowhere to be seen.

"Curious, don't you think? That all the members of Satori's council would be summoned away all of a sudden?" Sokuma remarks to his fellow Mnemon.

Elsewhere still, Takumi's single remaining eye spots both the spymaster and the head of finance as they leave the party.

"Hmm. Looks like something interesting's happening, if it's got the attention of both those two." the cycloptic outcaste says to Xandra.

Whenever Asuna notices Voruna subtly studying her out of the corner of her eye she reflexively positions herself to be maximally distracting - leaning forward to reveal a suddenly plunging neckline as she peers around someone to find Satori in the crowd, shifting her hips just slightly too quickly for her dress to keep up and revealing the curve of her thigh, or playing at enjoying the pipe Manato had so generously gifted her in an - only slightly - exaggerated and suggestive way. It's such an ingrained reflex at this point from years of drilling that she's long since realized the fastest way to get her to put on a show is to make a credible attempt at deciphering her. If he can keep his attention on where her eyes are going and those few subtle shifts in expression and body language that still make it through her mask after so much practice, then he deserves to read her like an open book.

Her eyes light up and she favours him with a warm smile, allowing her genuine enthusiasm to show through her mask as he suggests a game, "Oh, my Lord Voruna, you have found one of the many paths to my heart. I never decline one of my favourite games."

When Voruna is suddenly pulled away she pouts, her disappointment palpable. "Perhaps another time, then?" she offers hopefully.

Need two Minors to get a Major. No Gateway game to instill respect, but my Guile stunt is basically a free Instill Lust, so I'll go with that for later.

App 5 + Soc 5 + Stunt 2 + App Bonus 1 = 13; Alas 4 hits on 13 dice - I failed. Ah well. Clearly Asuna is not his type.

Last edited:
Javald snorts. "I doubt that we need concern ourselves with such matters." he says, shortly before he notices a servant approaching the two of them, without a platter of food or drinks.

"Yes?" the blond man asks haughtily.

"Forgive me, blessed one." says the servant. "The satrap...she requests the immediate presence of all the members of her council within the meeting chamber."

"What? Why?" demands Javald.

"She did not say, blessed one." the servant replies with a furtive glance towards Fel. "She only said that it was a most urgent matter."

Javald exhales, sounding both concerned and frustrated. "Very well. Go." he orders.

The servant scurries off, and Javald turns to Fel. "It seems my attention is required elsewhere. Good evening." he says curtly, before turning around and walking off.

Elsewhere...
Another servant approaches the group containing Voruna, and delivers a very similar message to the one Javald got; the spymaster is to join the rest of Satori's council in the meeting chamber on the upper levels of the palace. Voruna accepts the news with a curt nod, and gives the rest of the group a theatrical sigh.

"My apologies, but it seems duty calls for me." he says. "Until next time, my friends."

With that, he turns around and heads towards the hall doors. Shortly after he has left the group, Mnemon Sokuma approaches Larissa, his eyes flickering between the departing figures of Javald and Voruna. High Archpriest Shaalesh is nowhere to be seen.

"Curious, don't you think? That all the members of Satori's council would be summoned away all of a sudden?" Sokuma remarks to his fellow Mnemon.

Elsewhere still, Takumi's single remaining eye spots both the spymaster and the head of finance as they leave the party.

"Hmm. Looks like something interesting's happening, if it's got the attention of both those two." the cycloptic outcaste says to Xandra.

Very curious, Fel was. And as the servant came to summon away Javald, it founded his suspicions that the business was something to be curious about. There was no question that the mysterious business and emergency meeting were related. But an emergency meeting during a prominent gala. Fel wondered whether or not he should begin to worry.

Fel simply nodded at Javalds farewell, as he tapped his finger thoughtfully on the pipe. What now but wait?

Whenever Asuna notices Voruna subtly studying her out of the corner of her eye she reflexively positions herself to be maximally distracting - leaning forward to reveal a suddenly plunging neckline as she peers around someone to find Satori in the crowd, shifting her hips just slightly too quickly for her dress to keep up and revealing the curve of her thigh, or playing at enjoying the pipe Manato had so generously gifted her in an - only slightly - exaggerated and suggestive way. It's such an ingrained reflex at this point from years of drilling that she's long since realized the fastest way to get her to put on a show is to make a credible attempt at deciphering her. If he can keep his attention on where her eyes are going and those few subtle shifts in expression and body language that still make it through her mask after so much practice, then he deserves to read her like an open book.

Her eyes light up and she favours him with a warm smile, allowing her genuine enthusiasm to show through her mask as he suggests a game, "Oh, my Lord Varuna, you have found one of the many paths to my heart. I never decline one of my favourite games."

When Voruna is suddenly pulled away she pouts, her disappointment palpable. "Perhaps another time, then?" she offers hopefully.

Need two Minors to get a Major. No Gateway game to instill respect, but my Guile stunt is basically a free Instill Lust, so I'll go with that for later.

App 5 + Soc 5 + Stunt 2 + App Bonus 1 = 13; Alas 4 hits on 13 dice - I failed. Ah well. Clearly Asuna is not his type.
Voruna gives Asuna several admiring glances as she turns on the charm - with a few nearby Dragon-blooded following his example - but he ultimately manages to stay in control of himself.

"Most certainly, Lady Asuna." he says in reply to her offer of a game at a later date, before leaving.

With Asuna leaning into him as she put on sultry airs, the Fire Aspect found himself surprisingly hot under the collar. Manato took a drag from his pipe while the spymaster left to tend to more official business. The admiring glances she attracted made him crack a smile. He exhaled a plume of fragrant smoke before speaking. "Whether you came to win at gateway or not, you're certainly winning a lot of admirers. You might even make one out of me if you aren't careful." He teased with a chuckle.

Behind the facade of decorum, Manato could sense he was likely in that category already. Whether it was being caught in the crossfire or being the target of her 'distractions' he had to concede she was likely to win him over on the current course. As for the consequences, who could say at this point? There was still too much work to do taking up what little logical thought he could muster lately.

[Manato has a Resolve of 3 and existing intimacy. Being in close quarters like that, I'll give him an intimacy of Lust for Asuna as a consequence.]

The fire aspect tried to bury the thought and changed the subject. "Well not too much to do about that. I guess from here on we just enjoy the party. Any ideas?"

Larissa looks worried. "I have a sudden fear that my fears of Anathema in the city may be confirmed. I pray to the Dragons that I am wrong."

Asuna makes a show of being affronted and whispers, "Make an admirer out of you, Manato? I see how it is. I've been admiring you since I first laid eyes on you. You can't pretend there aren't at least as many spectators jealous that you have your arm around my waist instead of theirs." She glances after Voruna, "I must be losing my touch. He's better at the game than I expected. Still, I scored two and a half points and I suspect he scored none, so I say the first round goes to me," she says with a self-satisfied smile.

Her smile vanishes at Larissa's prophecy. "Nearby?" she asks quietly with a hint of trepidation. "I suddenly find myself feeling very underdressed for this event. Still, an Anathema would be foolhardy to show itself here when there are so many of us, wouldn't they?"

"Can we agree admirer sounds better than drooling idiot? Also, losing your touch? If you tried much harder I wouldn't have any blood left to complete sentences with." Manato whispered back. He was still inwardly taken aback by her words. The ominous tone that followed prevented him from saying much more. Here I've made a point of avoiding entanglements after last time. If she really feels that way it's time to reconsider that stance.

"Hmmm... There's a lot of things I would think to be foolhardy. Like attacking Dragon-Blooded on sight in the street... or publicly endorsing Anathema. I'd say the local supply of audacity is rather overwhelming. Let's go find Fel and Xandra to hedge our bets. Maybe we can catch Mucao for a moment to get some answers while we're at it."

Xandra wanders over to stand near the others, and says, "Do you think it has to do with that fellow that was stirring up trouble outside the Temple earlier today? I would have to guess that he has some Exalted help to be able to sway a crowd as well as he did."

Fel approached the others as they began gathering. Catching the tail end of their conversation. "No need, my friend," he said to Manato. Handing back the emptied and cleaned pipe he had borrowed.

"No anathema would be so bold as to make an attack tonight. That is, no lone anathema. Dynasts are here aplenty. And if it was an anathema attack, there would no doubt already be a call to arms. I think Xandra is right in her assumption. Or so is my suspicion. Given the tensions, a wiley anathema could use this gala as a spark to create further unrest. Given the discontent and poverty, a luxurious event like this could be used to fan the flames of envy and resentment."

"Ragara Javald was called away. The servant mentioned others." He informed. "Satori left to deal with a mysterious urgent matter just before that. This call for an immediate counsel is definitely related. Given the time that transpired between her leaving and the counsel... then it is likely that there is something big going on."

Tahaki accepts Xandra's departure to rejoin her friends with good grace, leaving to help himself to some wine.

The rest of the Dynasts are able to enjoy the party for about twenty minutes. During that time, a number of Dragon-blooded make passes at Manato and Asuna - the two of them by far the most attractive individuals in the room - though thankfully for Manato, V'neef Merina does not make an appearance. Talking with Larissa, Sokuma lets slip a subtle hint that neither he nor Mnemon would be overly bothered if Satori were to be deposed by an Anathema, but of course such sentiments are only to be expected. Around the lot of you, the party continues on as normal.

When the twenty minutes are up, Satori, Javald and Voruna can be seen returning to the hall, all three looking relaxed and composed. Either they were able to resolve whatever business called them away, or the three of them are putting on facades of calmness for the benefit of the guests.

So it seemed that even in this gala, Satoro did not have as many friends as one would prefer. That even those above the peasants did not approve of her did not bode well to any future complications. Fel could only hope that if it did come to the presence of an anathema, that such a foe would rally the Dynasts to a singular cause.

But then again... so too did his family think that yet even with anathema on everyone's doorstep the Houses couldn't be more divided. By the divine dragons the Empress needed to return and soon. Trying to rally houses was going to be like trying to herd a bunch of cats that hate each other.

Upon seeing their hostess return, he could only hope whatever situation it was was dealt with. For if they were trying to put on a facade of calm, that was really bad.

Fel would approach them, "Lady Satori, Master Javald." He said in greeting their return. "I hope that everything went well."

Upon being addressed by Fel, Satori and Javald are unable to keep from grimacing a little. The satrap then looks around, her eyes seeking out Manato, Asuna, Larissa and Xandra, before she looks back at the Ledaal man.

"If I were to confide in you that I believe Kandara faces peril, would you tell the four friends you arrived with of this?" she asks quietly. "If so, I may as well tell the five of you together. Especially if you believe that one or more of them could help out in this situation."

Upon being addressed by Fel, Satori and Javald are unable to keep from grimacing a little. The satrap then looks around, her eyes seeking out Manato, Asuna, Larissa and Xandra, before she looks back at the Ledaal man.

"If I were to confide in you that I believe Kandara faces peril, would you tell the four friends you arrived with of this?" she asks quietly. "If so, I may as well tell the five of you together. Especially if you believe that one or more of them could help out in this situation."
Fel looks back at his friends. "If you wish for confidentiality, say so and I will abide by it. However, they are trustworthy, and care about your lands as much as you or I. I am a specialist, in very niche methods of combat and craftsmanship. But each of them has abilities that transcend my own. In power, versatility, and mastery. I can think of no others I would rather have stand on my side than they."

Last edited:
Satori gives the other four Dynasts another look, paying special attention to Larissa. "I know that Manato is a man of wealth. And from what I've come to understand about Asuna, she has a talent for intrigue. And while I'm loathe to trust one of Mnemon's descendants, your cousin Sengon also attended our impromptu meeting, as the representative of faith-based matters. He told me of how Larissa and Xandra intervened during the confrontation between him and that Illuminated heretic, and that he would vouch for both of them with regards to trustworthiness."

The satrap then nods. "Very well. Gather your friends, then accompany me. We will talk further in a more private setting."

Satori gives the other four Dynasts another look, paying special attention to Larissa. "I know that Manato is a man of wealth. And from what I've come to understand about Asuna, she has a talent for intrigue. And while I'm loathe to trust one of Mnemon's descendants, your cousin Sengon also attended our impromptu meeting, as the representative of faith-based matters. He told me of how Larissa and Xandra intervened during the confrontation between him and that Illuminated heretic, and that he would vouch for both of them with regards to trustworthiness."

The satrap then nods. "Very well. Gather your friends, then accompany me. We will talk further in a more private setting."

Fel nodded at Satori's words. "Very well." He said, turning from her and back to the others.

Walking close enough so as to not let his voice carry to the other guests, he looked to his fellows. Xandra, Larissa, Manato, Asuna. "It looks like something is going on." He said to them. "Satori wishes to have a meeting with us in a more private setting. Come." He said.

Random Word Random Word Sherwood Sherwood Psychie Psychie Rykon Rykon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back