• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Exalted 3E - Tale of a Falling Empire IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
jaydude jaydude

Fel gives Satori an understanding nod. "I understand Lady Satori. I shall likely depart myself, then." He said. Letting her leave on her own, as it sounded like she would rather have some space.

He looked down in thought. If he was going to help her unofficially... this was going to cause some trouble. He had an idea to slide around that. Would save them both some trouble. Hopefully, the troubles in the satrap would not need to be quelled so powerfully as to need a warstrider.

(I am okay with having Fel skip back to the city whenever you are ready)

jaydude jaydude

Fel gives Satori an understanding nod. "I understand Lady Satori. I shall likely depart myself, then." He said. Letting her leave on her own, as it sounded like she would rather have some space.

He looked down in thought. If he was going to help her unofficially... this was going to cause some trouble. He had an idea to slide around that. Would save them both some trouble. Hopefully, the troubles in the satrap would not need to be quelled so powerfully as to need a warstrider.

(I am okay with having Fel skip back to the city whenever you are ready)
Satori stands up from the bed and walks a few paces from it, before turning to look at Fel.

"Things were so much easier when the mortals knew their place. When the Empress sat on the Scarlet Throne. When the world made sense." she says. Her expression as she faces her fellow Dynast and speaks these words is somewhere between bitter and despondent.

As if to reinforce the monk's warning, one of the men stood next to Xandra makes a gargling sound, and then hits her on the cheek with a glob of spat saliva.
She looks at the man with a cold expression on her face. "Feel better about yourself? A big man like you, spitting on me?" She shakes her head, and reaches for a bit of cloth to wipe her face clean. "Be glad that I am a kind soul, and not one to give into my baser instincts, or you would live to regret that act."

She turns to the monk and says, "You are right; things are a bit rancid out here right now. Lets get out of here."

"That they work at all is a surprise, given the brazen attacks on Dynasts in the open. That's largely why I suspected more chaos involving the mines. Then again, there are still many actors at play here and much to prepare before the festival, assuming we manage to host it successfully." Manato finally sat up and began to get dressed. "Speaking of preparations, perhaps it's time we get ready for the gala. So much for a relaxing sabbatical. There's enough work to be done to warrant a second vacation."

Once out of the manor, Manato will send a message to Asuna with Wind Carried Words. "Just thought you should know, the spymaster here had a Sesus predecessor. Might be worth your time to look into Ragara Voruna's staff for some additional support for yours. I've no solid leads other than that I'm afraid. I'll have to do some bar hopping later to fish for something we can use. If only to make the festival accomplish its goal."

Assuming there were no interruptions, he'd make time to bathe and change prior to the gala.

Satori stands up from the bed and walks a few paces from it, before turning to look at Fel.

"Things were so much easier when the mortals knew their place. When the Empress sat on the Scarlet Throne. When the world made sense." she says. Her expression as she faces her fellow Dynast and speaks these words is somewhere between bitter and despondent.

At her words, Fel gave a small sad smile, "That they were. Not but a few years ago, everything seemed much better than they are now." He admitted, as his smile faded and was replaced with a sigh.

"The loss of the Empress has wounded the realm viscerally. And I can not begin to imagine what could have justified such an event."

"Yet... ultimately it does not change our place in the world, does it?" He asked as his smile returned somewhat. "The blood in our veins gives us right, but so does it give us duty. With our power, we can express our will onto the world. But a will that will not last unless we tend to it."

Fel stood up, walking past Satori to the edge of the pavilion. Looking out towards the busy human hunters. "I feel sorry for them. They do not understand, and never will. It escapes them. The power, and the wisdom that comes with it. The duties we hold, and the sacrifices we make for them. They will never understand the true bredth of the the threats that are out there that spell their doom of body and soul. A blessing of ignorance that they can look upon us and think that we have it all."

"They are like children. They are without awareness for all but the present, as their blood does not remember generations past. However, like children, they need guidance as they cannot care for themselves. They need protection and teaching."

He looked over his shoulder at Satori, before turning to face her fully. "Its only natural for them to want act this way. Unruly children are a handful. But we love them anyway, we show them the error of their ways and lead them to a better path. We are their superiors, after all, it is the right thing to do. The world will find its balance soon, and we will be at its head again."

Walking to her, he out a reassuring hand in her should, "We have never been tested like this before. And as infuriating as it sometimes can be, we won't fail. The world makes sense as we dictate. Do not worry, Satori, these times may difficult, but keep your faith, and things will be right again. You aren't alone here. You do not have to be." He said as he gave her shoulder a friendly squeeze.

Satori smiles at the warmer and supporting words from her fellow Dynast. This time, it appears as genuine as the look she gave Asuna earlier in the day, when she received the pair of razors.

"Thank you, Fel." she says.

The two of them return to the city with Satori's bodyguards, after which the satrap takes her leave of Fel, presumably to attend to affairs of state and preparations for the gala.

Back in the city, Larissa and Xandra are able to return to Satori's palace without any further trouble following the near-riot. Elsewhere, Harun gets out of bed and - leaving Manato to his own devices - picks out the attire she'll wear for the gala, before leaving to attend the meeting held by Asuna.

Besides the Water Aspect, Harun's the only Dynast there; the other attendees are a group of twelve particularly wealthy or influential patricians, each of which House Sesus holds some degree of leverage over. As planned, Asuna poses as a mortal representative of a Dynast hoping to marry Satori, with Harun feeling little need to contradict this falsified backstory. She and the other attendees are soon convinced to assist Asuna with her planned festival, seeing it as both a way to soothe tensions within the city, and increase the levels of wealth in their own coffers. The fact that Asuna's supposed client is both exceedingly wealthy and ignorant of prices in Kandara doesn't hurt matters.

In terms of which god to honour with the festival, popular opinion soon turns towards Mazarie, the unofficial goddess of agriculture for the region. As pointed out by a number of the meeting's attendees, food is somewhat of an issue within Kandara, and all the local field guardians owe fealty to Mazarie. With Asuna's blessing, they will devote the festivities towards her, and aim to launch them within the next week or two. With the meeting resolved, Harun returns to her manor to finish her own preparations for the gala.

Present moment in time...
By the middle of the evening, the gala is truly getting underway. The entirety of the palace's ground floor and grounds are open to partygoers, with a good deal of activity concentrated within the hall where the five travellers first encountered Satori and Sengon. The tables from earlier are now laden with food served on gold plates, with the hellboar killed by Fel and Satori in a place of pride, while a band performs upon the now assembled stage, playing relaxing music on sanxian, erhu and other instruments for the benefit of all who can hear.

A similar setup exists within the palace grounds, only the stage that was set up here is currently being used for martial arts; demonstrations by various dojos based within the city, interspersed with duels and sparring matches. Other areas of the palace set aside for the gala include a gaming lounge where one can fritter away time - and jade - at Gateway, dice and cards, a selection of rooms in which guests can smoke opium.

And of course, at least a few dozen extravagantly dressed Dragon-blooded can be found throughout the palace and grounds, a small army of servants attending to their every need. In terms of attire, there is a clear distinction between the Dynastic fashions worn by those belonging to the Great Houses, and the turbans, kaftans and more exotic attire choices of the outcastes.

What has everyone done prior to the start of the gala? What do you all wish to do now?

As they were heading back to the satrap's palace, Larissa would ask of Xandra, "What were you doing out there, calling for the crowd to attack you? Were you going to use your Charms to armor up and attack them? You do realize the sheer scale of the massacre that would result, don't you? Or were you serious in your call to sacrifice yourself? What was your play?"

Psychie Psychie

Manato shows up to the gala dressed in a red, silk shirt with black pinstripes. Each button is polished gold with a Cynis mon pattern. His tie and slacks were as black as soot, matched in kind by shoes and a belt wrought from blackened reptilian leather and accented by an ornate belt buckle featuring a blossoming tree with warm fiery hues to its flowers. On his right hand was a golden ring with the same tree pattern. Anyone who had done business with his company before would recognize the shape to be the same as his signet seal. Where most might wear a coat, Manato eschewed the extra layer, even rolling up his sleeves to better accent a pair of jeweled wristbands on his arms. While artifact accessories were fairly common ornamentation, it was clear each piece was chosen merely to compliment his ensemble and his pride as a Fire Aspect rather than grant some mystical combat prowess or sorcerous might.

Upon arriving at the venue, he waited by the entrance hoping to catch his friends before entering the party proper, smoking some tobacco from a pipe to ease his nerves. Yet, he made no hesitation at greeting his peers or their servants with a warm smile and a firm handshake as they passed by. Relaxing music huh? How... safe. Perhaps they could use a bit more energy, but I wonder how that'd go over. Probably best not to get too many Dynast's attention uninvited. No telling what any of them could be up to yet. Especially if their investments are at stake. Well, at least the spread should be decent, if somewhat provocative to the lower classes.

On another note... if I'm going to get taunted, teased, and hit on by Merina again, I can probably bribe her into doing something good for people... But at what cost...
Manato inhaled a deep breath from the pipe and let the smoke slowly drift out in a long sigh. Now that I think of it, just how has she handled matters here? She better not be in on this cult. I worked too hard to watch my primary competitor get taken out of the game because of some half-baked Solar coup. If I could just reign in these miserable bureaucrats and matriarchs from their embarrassing feuds back home...

As they were heading back to the satrap's palace, Larissa would ask of Xandra, "What were you doing out there, calling for the crowd to attack you? Were you going to use your Charms to armor up and attack them? You do realize the sheer scale of the massacre that would result, don't you? Or were you serious in your call to sacrifice yourself? What was your play?"

Psychie Psychie
Xandra gives the other woman a playful elbow in the side as they walk back towards the palace. "No, I was completely serious about offering myself up as a sacrifice. It would have hurt a lot, but nothing the crowd could have done to me would have ended my life. It is a gift of one of my hearthstones that makes me very hard to kill. I was hoping that it would have been enough to take the bloodlust out of the crowd, or at the least, give Sengon and you time to get away from the frenzy with the clues you would need to be able to track down the instigators of this insurgence. Now, lets get cleaned up and ready for the party."

Xandra gives the other woman a playful elbow in the side as they walk back towards the palace. "No, I was completely serious about offering myself up as a sacrifice. It would have hurt a lot, but nothing the crowd could have done to me would have ended my life. It is a gift of one of my hearthstones that makes me very hard to kill. I was hoping that it would have been enough to take the bloodlust out of the crowd, or at the least, give Sengon and you time to get away from the frenzy with the clues you would need to be able to track down the instigators of this insurgence. Now, lets get cleaned up and ready for the party."
Larissa looks at the Fire Aspect with wide eyes. "You would have stood there and let the crowd tear you apart, just to save Sengon and myself? I don't know if you are crazy, or truly dedicated! My goodness! But yes, you are right. Let us get ready for the gala."

OOC Adding a minor tie of respect for Xandra

When Xandra shows up for the gala, she is wearing a brilliant green dress that accentuates her curves in a flattering way. Xandra always knew that she could be prettier if she ever put her mind to it, but she has never put any interest into doing so due to the number of scars all over her body and face. A 'present' from the Lunar that killed her father and uncle, just before her Exaltation. Right now, Xandra is almost hoping that some dull witted courtier will make some comment about her looks; it would feel nice to put them in their place.

But in the meantime, she enters with all the grace that she can muster, and considering that she is a skilled swordsmaster, that is a lot. Xandra lets the major domo make his announcement of her name to the room, then goes to begin the task of small talk with the other Exalts and people of enough importance to be invited to the shindig.

Larissa comes to the gala in her traditional white robe, with her House symbol on the left breast along with the mark of the Imperial Magistrates order given to her by the Empress Herself. She could have gone for something flashier, but Larissa was never one to go for big, ostentatious productions. This gala was more a duty for House Mnemon than something to enjoy.

Gliding in, she offers up a smile to those around her, looking for the Satrap so she can make her obligatory greetings.

Asuna sashays up to the entrance in a shawl of dark storm clouds, rivulets of black water tracing elaborate patterns - the mon of House Sesus is a frequent motif - as they run down her skin until they reach her hips where they fell off in sheets of driving rain that vanish moments after they touch the ground. The whole ensemble parts, shifts, and flows as she walks, continually testing the boundary between enticing and scandalous without ever quite crossing it.

She pauses when she sees Manato lost in thought. "It's so cute when you tell me things I already know," she says with an obnoxiously smug smile as she gently takes the pipe out of his hand, takes a drag, and returns it. Her eyes close as she holds the smoke in her lungs for a moment, then turns her head and exhales slowly. "Mmm, that's good. Did you grow that yourself?"

Manato seemed to snap out of a stupor when Asuna swiped his pipe. As if waking from a dream, he shifted from a blank look to an overt appraising glance out of reflex. Once his mind had finally caught up to register her voice, the smile returned to his face. "So cute you'd ask for more I see? It's so cute when you're fake sneaky." Manato drew the end of the pipe to a light tap on her nose to punctuate his teasing remark.

"Or could it be that a trade secret has finally evaded those pesky 'property tax assessors' haunting my employees while I'm away? Doubtful. Still, it's hard to deny such an enchanting beauty who adorns herself with an unshaken conviction to get me in trouble." Manato shrugged theatrically. "Very well... This is indeed my private blend, and I've yet to go through enough to resort to substituting with another's product. I'd expound upon what I mix into it, but given deliberate ignorance of Sesus intelligence, it's hard to tell if your associates have cracked the secret for you yet..."

Manato paused, feigning a thoughtful gesture as an excuse to take in another breath full of smoke. He blew the fumes upward, in a slow stream, savoring the scent. "Speaking of discoveries, sad to say I couldn't learn of more substantive matters. Limited time, limited results, and all that. Perhaps there'll be time to study up for the upcoming festivities later. For now, we've plenty of fun right in front of us. Shall we?"

"I love a man with secrets," Asuna purrs as she takes Manato's offered arm and they step inside to be announced. "It gives one depth. People without secrets are boring. You're never boring. As to your personal blend, you can rest easy. It's lamentably low on the long list of things my family wants ever so much to know. Philistines," she sighs and waves dismissively.

"You looked a thousand leagues away when I arrived. Is that what's been distracting you? A lack of discoveries? You are entirely too hard on yourself. You've only started today." She pats his bare forearm consolingly as she guides them through the crowd towards Larissa, Satori, and their obligatory guest duty.

"I can't help but notice that even for a sartorially inclined man of taste you've outdone yourself tonight. Are you perhaps dressing to impress someone? It's not our lovely hostess, is it?" she asks teasingly.

Fel took his time getting ready once he returned to the city. Bathing himself to wash away the blood and sweat of the hunt, and donning fresh clothing for the gala. A slimming jacket and trousers, in the colors of House Ledaal cut in with elaborate gilded embroidery, completing his outfit was a thin jeweled band on his head and rings to match his sword.

Upon arrival, he gave the majordomo friendly tidings, and let himself be announced with honors of the hunt.

While shmoozing was very enticing, Fel first wanted to get with his comrades to catch up on events in the city. Besides. Everyone would want to see the Satrap first, so it was well to give her a bit of time to get situated before going to find her.

Fel headed in the direction of Asuma and Manato, given they were heading towards Larissa, it seemed to be a good opportunity to get with them.

"Asuna, Manato." He said with a smile as he fell in beside them. "I see both of you are blending in quite well at this event. How did things go in the city, if I may interject?"

Random Word Random Word Rykon Rykon

"Impressing someone, intimidating the competition, who's to say?" Manato replied with a playful grin, appreciating Asuna's compliment. "I will say that it appears to be having the intended effect. Should I be worried about the one you were hoping to entice?"

"Ah, Fel! My boy! How'd the date go?" Manato nearly shouted with a congratulatory pat on the back and a hearty chuckle. "Suffice to say, while we made friends, I couldn't dig up much that was helpful. I did learn an old friend and competitor was here, and I gotta admit... between the cult uprising and her scathing taunts, I'd be more alright if she was comfortably elsewhere." and not sitting in the threat range of a Solar. Manato left his last thought unspoken, hoping he wouldn't have to think too much more about it this evening. "At least, I'm not finding out much that will keep us from giving the people here a good time."

"I'm hoping Larissa and Xandra had better luck than I did. I haven't had a chance to speak with them yet, so good timing."

Before Larissa can approach Satori, she herself is approached by two people. One of them is a stocky and somewhat short man who appears to be in his sixties, and is wearing a formal purple changsam with white trim. The other is a tall, bald and slenderly-built man who wears a snake-shaped gold torc around his neck, as well as a gold-coloured silk kaftan with a pattern resembling snakeskin. What is perhaps most striking about this man is that in place of his nose, there are instead a pair of serpent-like slits for nostrils.

"Greetings." says the shorter man in flawless High Realm, clasping his hands and bowing in a manner typical to the Blessed Isle. "I am Mnemon Sokuma, satrap of Thueban. And it is a great comfort to see another of our house here." Evidently he's noticed the Mnemon symbol Larissa wears.

Of the people known by the group, Cynis Harun - now wearing a green ankle-length cheongsam patterned with thin golden vines, as well as a pair of leaf-green slippers - is stood near Manato, Asuna and clearly keeping back so as not to intrude on their conversation. Satori meanwhile has opted to go for white chang-ao with gold-edged wide sleeves, a gold skirt underneath and an elaborate black and gold crown. She is currently in conversation with a group of guests on the far side of the room, looking happy and very much in her element. Mercifully for Manato, there is currently no sign of V'neef Merina within the hall.

As she enjoys the party, Xandra is approached by a man in formal blue ruqun who wears his jet-black hair in a thick ponytail, and possesses a short black goatee. A quick glance will tell her that he's a fighter as well; his body is muscled and athletic under his clothes, he carries himself with the air of a martial artist, and he bears a scar of his own, in his case a vertical mark that goes down his face and over his left eye, necessitating an eyepatch.

"Greetings." he says in High Realm that possesses a clear Scavenger Lands accent to it, giving the Fire Aspect a friendly smile.

Xandra offers up a respectful curtsy to the man, even as she eyes him, wondering how he may fare in a fight. "Greetings to you, too. I please ask for forgiveness if I do not recognize you; my friends and I have only just arrived here, and I don't know names to faces yet. I am Cathak Xandra. May I inquire as to your name?"

Asuna greets Fel's appearance with a warm smile and a rather wet embrace, though the moisture vanishes almost as quickly as it's applied, "The hunter returns triumphant! I see we shall not go hungry tonight." She pulls back before continuing, "I think perhaps that was merely the warmup for you Fel - I heard a delightful rumour that the most dangerous game is close at hand. A man caught two arrows mid flight in the temple quarter this afternoon. Such things happen when one hires a mortal to hunt a Dragon's prey," she laments with a sigh.

"It's no problem if you don't recognize me; I'm hardly anyone of note compared to this crowd." he says casually, indicating the crowd of Dynasts and rich outcastes around them. Looking more closely at him, Xandra sees that he's a little older than her, and while unmistakably scarred, has clearly found a way to turn it to his advantage in terms of rugged handsomeness (Appearance 3).

"Tahaki. Just Tahaki." he says. "Outcaste, wanderer of sorts, and occasional member of the Wyld Hunt. I came here with the King of Bakrata."

He indicates a dark-skinned man in a purple kaftan and orange turban stood nearby.

"Greetings." says the shorter man in flawless High Realm, clasping his hands and bowing in a manner typical to the Blessed Isle. "I am Mnemon Sokuma, satrap of Thueban. And it is a great comfort to see another of our house here." Evidently he's noticed the Mnemon symbol Larissa wears.
Returning the bow with one of her own, Larissa smiles at Sokuma. "Well met, kinsman. Yes, it is indeed good to see a fellow member of our House here." She looks around the room, taking in the large number of strangers that have come to enjoy the evening. "What brings you here? Is it simply to enjoy the fine food and drink? Or is there another purpose to your visit?"

Returning the bow with one of her own, Larissa smiles at Sokuma. "Well met, kinsman. Yes, it is indeed good to see a fellow member of our House here." She looks around the room, taking in the large number of strangers that have come to enjoy the evening. "What brings you here? Is it simply to enjoy the fine food and drink? Or is there another purpose to your visit?"

Sokuma shrugs. "The former. You know how it is; you throw a gala, every Dynast in the area needs to be invited, regardless of whether you're on the Blessed Isle or in the Threshold." he answers. He sounds a bit disgruntled as he speaks, as if he's attending largely out of societal obligation.

The stocky Dynast then gestures to his companion. "This is High Archpriest Shaalesh. He is the head of the Serpentine Synod, the ruling body of Thueban."

"It is my great pleasure to meet you." Shaalesh says in a soft and whisper-like voice, bowing low to Larissa with his right hand on the middle of his chest.

"Impressing someone, intimidating the competition, who's to say?" Manato replied with a playful grin, appreciating Asuna's compliment. "I will say that it appears to be having the intended effect. Should I be worried about the one you were hoping to entice?"

"Ah, Fel! My boy! How'd the date go?" Manato nearly shouted with a congratulatory pat on the back and a hearty chuckle. "Suffice to say, while we made friends, I couldn't dig up much that was helpful. I did learn an old friend and competitor was here, and I gotta admit... between the cult uprising and her scathing taunts, I'd be more alright if she was comfortably elsewhere." and not sitting in the threat range of a Solar. Manato left his last thought unspoken, hoping he wouldn't have to think too much more about it this evening. "At least, I'm not finding out much that will keep us from giving the people here a good time."

"I'm hoping Larissa and Xandra had better luck than I did. I haven't had a chance to speak with them yet, so good timing."

Fel could not help but chuckle at his friends infectious exuberance. "All things considering, I think it went well. As you can see.." he said gesturing to the large succulent centerpiece. "As for your friend, as difficult as things may be here, it will no doubt be a blessing for us to have friends at all here. Rival's or no."

Fel paused, "And what is it that you are smoking today? It smells divine."

Asuna greets Fel's appearance with a warm smile and a rather wet embrace, though the moisture vanishes almost as quickly as it's applied, "The hunter returns triumphant! I see we shall not go hungry tonight." She pulls back before continuing, "I think perhaps that was merely the warmup for you Fel - I heard a delightful rumour that the most dangerous game is close at hand. A man caught two arrows mid flight in the temple quarter this afternoon. Such things happen when one hires a mortal to hunt a Dragon's prey," she laments with a sigh.

As Asuna rounded in him with her enthusiastic greeting, he shared her embrace and gave her a kindly kiss on the cheek. With the moisture wicked away as quickly as she had pulled from contact. "You are too kind, Asuna, too kind." He grinned, humble, but the compliments were indeed pleasing. " His smile slid a little when she remarked on his own suspicions. Further compounding what he was coming to believe. "I have been coming to the same conclusion. And it is regrettable that I am failing to come up with any alternative theories."

Fel continued in a softer voice, "Our hostess, too, senses something is afoot. The cult has been growing beyond her control, to such a degree that she has taken lengths to ask me to do some... moonlighting... for her, should things grow too serious. I have agreed to it, to give what aid I can. Unofficially mind you. Another thing, I fear that this growing pressure she is under may be what is contributing to her growing lack of empathy her people her. I believe she is a good woman underneath, but the sense of strain is well apparent." He reported.

"Worse still, House Ragara seems to have little interest in this corner of the world. It would be safe to assume they are giving her little support to handle this matter if she has even reported it at all. I tried to make a suggestion of more official ties to be made, but she seems insistent on it being unofficial on my part. Though if I could involve my family here, the Wyld Hunt could sort this out quickly."

Fel looked towards the socializing satrap, "Sadly, if I were to be frank, I doubt the 'date' was nothing more than a ploy to ask me for a favor. She is no doubt a maneuverable one, I'll give her that. A shame though, a fleeting romance would have made this sabbatical much more enjoyable." He said with a grin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back