• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Exalted 3E - Tale of a Falling Empire IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Asuna squeezes Manato's hand and flashes Satori a grateful smile for ensuring she got her way. "Oh yes, Satrap, I quite agree. It would be terribly gauche for my involvement to be publicized - the populace is simply in no mood for some foreign Dynast bossing them around. Thankfully the Dragons graced us with cunning to match our might. I'm certain I can find some local sponsors willing to shoulder the burden of giving a beneficent gift to the people. A little bit of graft goes a long way." And if my involvement does become publicly known, I'll know you have spies in your inner court.

Asuna considers Larissa's question, "Oh, the better part of a week or two, I should think. I'll check in on it from time to time, and some delicate matters will require the personal touch, but this is what we have staff for."

"I suspect I will find the process... enlightening," she adds enigmatically with a mischievous twinkle in her eyes, then utters the most dangerous words in all Creation: "I have a plan."

When Asuna next has a free moment she'll whisper the following into the wind to be delivered to Manato and Larissa,
"A little bit of healthy embezzlement is to be expected. No populace can be expected to leave bread on the table when they're starving. Where it goes though, I expect to be quite interesting. Were I planning a revolution I would not let so much of my enemy's jade and supplies flowing so freely pass me by without skimming off the top. The event itself is an almost irresistible opportunity for an assassination - sorry Manato, you'll have a tough crowd, a chance to forge a relationship with local power brokers that sets us apart from the Satrap, and an excellent opportunity to catch spies should details leak, all while redirecting Satori's jade to filling bellies and pleasing local gods. There is no surer precursor to revolution than hunger, and few fairer friends in rooting out conspiracy than a City God."

At Larissa's remark Manato lets out a politely restrained chuckle, "Well, I have much to teach then. Throwing a good party is an art. One that can earn you many valuable friends at that."

The hint of mischief and suspense from Asuna brought a grin to his face. "Oh, indeed it will be. You've got me excited already."

While attention is directed away from Manato, he would respond with his thoughts on moving forward.
"Ah, I expected to get my hands dirty at the mere mention of this Cult of the Illuminated. My plan was to hit the streets in a less... vibrant appearance. It's would take some time to ferret out the details we need though. We've got precious little time to infiltrate this faction to see how far down this plot goes before it tips into open revolt. I don't think I could go with you to meet with any of the Gods if I did that though, but one of the others could. If I establish proper cover, I can't risk one of them ratting me out to any co-conspirators. We'd need them to continue to act in the open if I'm to make proper inroads on this plot of theirs. Not to mention business deals, party planning, and the like... Eh, I'm getting caught up in things. I trust your instinct on how you want to proceed. Let's iron out the details when we're done here."

Larissa pauses for a moment, then says, "If we are thinking that there is a organized conspiracy involved in this insurgency, I could ply my talents as a manhunter to try and find any leaders and deal with them."

Xandra grins at the thought of 'dealing' with any insurgents that are causing trouble. "You do realize that you may be facing off against a Solar? Or possibly several of them? If you are not going to be working under cover, I would strongly suggest you only locate and not engage any of these rabble until you have a bunch of back-up to help."

Larissa looks over at the other woman and nods. "I do understand that, and trust me, I am not suicidal enough to face off against a Circle of Anathema without help. But, if I can find any of the mortal agents of this Cult of the Illuminated and can either interrogate them or simply remove them from play, that will help us out by easing the coordination of the insurgents and make it possible for us to dial back the tensions in the city."

Outside the city...
Satori and Fel ride out into the grasslands surrounding the city, accompanied by a group of twelve armed men who apparently serve as Satori's bodyguards. In deference to his riding ability - or rather his lack of such - Fel has been given a chestnut mare that has been trained so extensively that anyone can ride her somewhat competently. Satori herself rides a magnificent palomino horse, and has swapped out her fine robe for an expensive yet entirely practical buff jacket and pair of boots, while also bearing both a daiklave of white jade, and a short powerbow of green jade.

"So. This warstrider of yours, I have to admit that I'm more than a little curious about it." Satori says to Fel as the group rides up a grassy hill, the first time she's spoken to him since they left the city. It's as clear an indirect invitation for Fel to talk about Viridian Raptor as one can get.

Back in the city...
Those of you who didn't choose to join Satori and Fel, what do you wish to do now?

Larissa would take some time to change into some simpler clothes, something that would blend in with the local populace, and makes plans to go out and do some hunting of her own. Hiding her armor and chakram under her cloak, she goes to ask Mucao about the various incidents of upheaval and civil unrest, hoping to get an idea of where to start her investigation.

"I see Larissa is keen to hit the street rather quickly. I'm going to start with a bit of low profile research to see what leads are within reach. Anyone who wants to tag along is welcome."

Manato starts by seeking out gambling dens, hoping to find some of his kin or a servant of theirs that he could ply for questions.

"I would love to accompany you Manato, just let me get changed." With one final parting look at Satori - Asuna can hardly complain, given her present company - she sets off for her quarters.

She sighs piteously. Sometimes doing as little as possible was a lot of work. As her servants are dressing her in the much less ostentatious but still expensive fashions of a Nexus merchant princess she delivers her coded instructions. Deliver the following message to a dead drop: Discreetly assemble a small group of well to do notables of good standing in the community who we hold leverage over for this evening so I may meet them prior to the gala. No overt sycophants of the Satrap. If any are made women I want to meet them first.

Having donned her costume and suitably disguised herself with makeup and a change of hair colour to plausibly pass as being from the Scavenger Lands, Asuna joins Manato to hang off his arm, enjoy his company, and if entertaining and not unduly onerous, assist his plans.

[After that scene]

After several hours she reluctantly relinquishes Manato's arm and sets off for an upscale brothel where she promptly picks out two handsome young men, enthusiastically pulls them into a private room, and sets them down on the bed while she picks up the change of clothes waiting for her and disappears behind a silk screen. "You boys enjoy yourselves for the next few hours. Room service is on me and I've left a generous tip on the nightstand. Meanwhile I will certainly not be at my lover's estate, because if his wife comes looking I was here the entire time," she leans her head out from behind the screen to ensure they're nodding along in agreement, "Understood? Do well and you'll have my custom every time I'm in town." She pauses and bites her lip as she looks them over, "I am on vacation, maybe a few minutes wouldn't hurt..."

Twenty minutes later a slightly flushed woman of Chiaroscuran descent leaves the discrete second entrance of the brothel in a palanquin and, after taking a circuitous route passed several lookouts watching for tails, arrives at an upscale teahouse where she orders the right off-menu blend and is ushered shortly thereafter into a private room.

Let me know if there's anything else besides the disguise I should roll for.
Buy two successes for 4m.
Larceny 5 + Intelligence 5 + stunt 2 = 12 dice + 2 successes; 6 successes

Last edited:
Fel had changed into clothing much more suitable for riding and potential combat. Armored lightly in chain, while it was mundane, much like the sword its craftsmanship was exquisite. Over the chain were short dull grey robes of a more militaristic style.

During the early part of the ride, Fel was actually enjoying looking at the land. Take this opportunity to do a bit of sight-seeing. Every now and then patting the genlt whose he rode on. "The Viridian Raptor. Or, Viridian Dragon if you wish to go by the original translation."

"It was dug up about ten years ago in jungle to northeast of here. And that was quite the story of its own, for what they had to do to find it." He recounted as he rode.

"It is the second of the set that has been dug up. But the first to be repaired enough for operation. There are five of them, you see, made to model the glory of the Immaculate Dragons themselves."

"Viridian is a beautiful work, I must say. Lean and reptilian, with the green jade of its armor giving off the glow of greeny after the morning frost has thawed. The secondary allows in its construction seem to be black jade and starmetal, which has lead to it being a very painstaking project to repair. But it was fortunately found in better condition than the Cerulean Dragon. Sadly, its arsenal was not recovered with the warstrider itself. I personally suspect that it used a bow, as it was Sextes Jylis preferred weapon, yet i'm not sure how closely the original makers intended it to represent him. Regardless, there are rewards for any archeologists in the east who can get information to lead to their retrieval. Until then, a weapon is being forged for it."

Fel thought of what more to add without giving away what he shouldn't. Not that there was much... one couldn't exactly hide news of warstriders. "We don't know their full capabilites yet. But we will be finding out Viridian's in about a month's time. What we do know, though, is that these Dragon Striders had operated together in the first Age. And from little information we have been able to dig up, they were quite fearsome."

With Larissa...
Mucao grimaces at Larissa's questions, clearly looking troubled about the subject matter, or at least how open he should be about it. Eventually though, he decides to speak.

"Things began going downhill when the Empress disappeared." he begins to explain. "House Ragara demanded far more tribute from that point on, and I understand that many here ended up impoverished or worked to the bone in order to pay it. At the same time, our Realm garrison was all but withdrawn to the Blessed Isle, making it increasingly easier for criminals, bandits, monsters and the like to prey on the people, in and out of this city. Combined with the satrap taking a...hard stance against anyone who complained or showed dissent, many parts of the populace soon came to hate the Scarlet Empire and its Dynasts. Though back then, they still feared both too much to act against them. Not violently, anyway."

"Then a few months ago, the Cult of the Illuminated showed up within this city, and began preaching defiance of the Scarlet Empire and the Dynasts. They claimed that both were bleeding Kandara dry for the sake of a power struggle on the Blessed Isle, and that the Immaculate Philosophy was all lies; that Dragon-blooded were not beings close to enlightenment and perfection, and thus did not deserve to be blindly obeyed and accommodated, whatever the Dynasts and Immaculates might claim." From the uncomfortable look on his face, Larissa can tell that while he might not agree with such assertions, there's a part of him that understands why others would in these times.

"The people were angry before, but now they became emboldened enough to act on their anger and hatred. There were riots in the streets every now and again, and you and your companions have not been the first Dynasts to have filth thrown at you in this city." he continues. "And that's not all; from the reports we've been getting, hundreds of people - if not a few thousand - within the satrapy's territory have abandoned their homes and traveled northeast. The Cult of the Illuminated claims that those we call Anathema are not degenerates who involve themselves with demons - another Immaculate lie - but men and women chosen as champions by the Unconquered Sun and Luna, and empowered by them to protect Creation and its people. Furthermore, they claim that one of them will come here with a great army one day, from the northeast, and liberate it from the tyranny of the Realm."

He doesn't bother stating the obvious, that the people leaving are likely planning to join up with this Anathema.

With Manato...
The manager of the first Cynis-owned gambling establishment that Manato and Asuna visit informs the pair that one of Manato's cousins - an older woman named Cynis Harun, who is in charge of all the house's assets in the city - has a mansion within the Dragon District, if the two of them would like to talk with her about what's going on.

Larissa frowns at the news. "So you are saying that there is no one area inside the city that might be a hotbed of the insurrection, but it is a systemic problem? That makes things much more difficult to wrap up and put to bed." She shifts her weight from side to side, wondering how to proceed. "Is there no place in the city that you can steer me towards that might be a location to start off with?"

Much as Manato longed to while away the hours casually gambling and socializing with the patrons, there was work to do, and little time to take care of everything. He made sure to tip the man with Jade scrip bills, assuming it was still of value in this area given recent dissent. If not, a few silver dinars would suffice.

Outside he hailed a palanquin for the two of them and directed it to Cynis Harun's estate. He glanced back at the gambling den and let out a longing sigh. "Soon enough I'll be able to break away long enough to relax..." he assured himself. "Speaking of... made any plans for the gala or afterward yet? No offense intended to our host, but I hear Ragara affairs are fairly stiff. I'm sure they need all the help they can get with that." He started again with a chuckle. "Worst case, I reckon we'll have to make our own fun."

During the trip to his cousin's manor, Manato would make frequent glances out at the city. His eyes drank in the looks of people's faces, the state of their homes and businesses, and the number of guards on patrol. All indicators for the health of the domain he let smolder in the corner of his mind. How do these bankers think they're going to profit off the place running it like this?

With Asuna and Manato...
At an early point after she and Manato first leave the Dragon District, Asuna is approached by an unfamiliar man who makes a show of recognizing her as an old friend, before making a handsign that identifies him as one of House Sesus's spies within the city. He then subtly passes on a message regarding the instructions Asuna gave to Guada earlier:

"The six who threw filth at you are safe and hidden. But they aren't connected to any criminal groups within this city. They were just a load of dumb kids."

Having informed the Water Aspect of this, he promptly takes his leave.

As she and Manato are being taken back towards the Dragon District in the palanquin, the Fire Aspect sees a situation not too different than the one that greeted him and the other Dynasts when they first arrived in the city; poorer people showing signs of overwork and early malnutrition, and more well-off ones complaining about high prices they didn't have to pay in the last half-decade. The city guard are out in reasonable-looking numbers; not enough to intimidate the populace, but not too few to suggest they're understaffed. Then again, it might just be that Satori wants to have more guards about to enforce her rule, but can't.

Before long, the two of you arrive at a gated mansion bearing the Cynis banner within the Dragon District. It's smaller than Satori's palace, but no less luxurious-looking. A servant greets you at the gate, and after going inside the building for a few minutes, emerges back out and leads you out to a garden within the walled compound. There you see a beautiful woman who wears green and gold robes and looks to be in her early forties, and possesses tanned skin and long bark-brown hair (Appearance 4), sitting at a table under a veranda and enjoying a warm cup of tea.

When the servant introduces you both, she looks around and gives the two of you warm smiles, before standing up from her seat and walking over to you.

"Greetings. I am Cynis Harun. Welcome to my estate." she says.

Last edited:
With Lel...
Satori appears to show a level of polite interest in the news regarding Viridian Raptor, before she moves her mount close enough to Fel's for their knees to touch, and leans towards the young man.

"I imagine that it's being stored somewhere in Arjuf Dominion, yes? It would make sense, after all; that is your house's ancestral seat." she purrs, seductively inviting him to at least give her an idea of where it might be.

Attempting a Persuade roll on Fel, using his Minor Tie of Lust towards Satori. She isn't asking for the exact location of Viridian Raptor, just a general hint to its location (I imagine that saying anything more would be at least a Serious Task to him).

3 successes (Dice pool of 7 + 4 dice bonus for her appearance vs Fel's Resolve).

With Larissa...
Mucao shrugs. "We don't know where they're hiding, but I understand that members of the Cult of the Illuminated sometimes proselytize to the people in busier parts of the city. Recently they've been focusing their attention near the Temple District, where we have the Immaculate Temple and the one for the City God, among others. I imagine that's because it's the one area of the city where they don't have any serious support among the populace - owing to the Immaculates' presence - and they want to change that."

Last edited:
"Thank you for your hospitality on such short notice, honored cousin. My friends and I traveled here on sabbatical and while I'd harbored some hope of expanding business interests, it seems the area is in far more dire straights than most would like to admit back home. To get to the point, I just wanted to ask... What can you tell us of what has transpired here lately and how has it been tolerated to have gotten this bad?" Manato inquired with a bow. He let his emphasis imply both his mistrust of Satrap officials as well as inherent respect for the extent of information his house collected. Even if the content of her intelligence consisted mostly of blackmail fodder and scandal, he was certain he'd uncover something worth using.

During all of this, Xandra is somewhat bored, waiting on Larissa to get a move on so she can help watch her back, intellectually understanding that there is a time for action, and a time for waiting. This is a time for waiting. Not that she liked it, but it still had to be done.

With Lel...
Satori appears to show a level of polite interest in the news regarding Viridian Raptor, before she moves her mount close enough to Fel's for their knees to touch, and leans towards the young man.

"I imagine that it's being stored somewhere in Arjuf Dominion, yes? It would make sense, after all; that is your house's ancestral seat." she purrs, seductively inviting him to at least give her an idea of where it might be.

Attempting a Persuade roll on Fel, using his Minor Tie of Lust towards Satori. She isn't asking for the exact location of Viridian Raptor, just a general hint to its location (I imagine that saying anything more would be at least a Serious Task to him).

3 successes (Dice pool of 7 + 4 dice bonus for her appearance vs Fel's Resolve).

Despite the brief feeling of her touch, Fel could not help but looking at her a bit askance. He did smile at her though. Just a bit though. "No," he answered. "The Arjuf Dominion may be a wealthy place, but it doesn't have the materials or specializations required for long term warstrider housing. It is safe in the arms of our shikari." He said, telling her little, but enough if she knew enough about Ledaal to give her a rough idea. Their location wasn't really a secret.. The Howling Heart Prefect was enough security. But to compound it... the Dragons did not operate by hearthstones as usual warstriders did. They required something special.

"So what developed your interest warstriders, Lady Satori?" He asked, so as not to turn this into a one sided conversation. He did want her to open up too. After all.

jaydude jaydude

With Asuna and Manato...
Harun's smile disappears as she answers Manato's question. "It's pretty much the same situation that's playing out all over the Threshold." she explains. "The Great Houses pull their troops back to the Blessed Isle in anticipation of civil war, squeeze their satrapies hard for the sake of additional resources for when it happens, and as a result of both these things, the now unprotected and overworked people have far less reason to love the Realm."

"And on top of that, the situation here is not helped by two more things." she continues, a hint of exasperation creeping into her voice. "The first is this accursed Cult of the Illuminated telling people to stop following the forth Diligent Practice and join the Anathema in rising up against the Realm. And the second...is the Satrap."

Harun lets out a sigh. "I'm sure the two of you know that we - that is, the Dragon-blooded - are generally taught to expect nothing less than unconditional respect and adulation from mortals." she says. "Satori takes it very personally when she gets anything other than that, to put it very mildly."

With Fel...
Satori looks a little surprised at being asked such a question, before giving a shrug of her shoulders. "Oh, just a little curious." she answers nonchalantly. "It's not very often I have a chance to talk with a full-time warstrider pilot."

"So there's an Anathema in the area and no hunt being mounted against them? Any plan at all?" Manato asked seriously. "If nothing is being done to help the people, or fight the Anathema, what IS being done? If house Ragara continues on this path, there won't be any money left here in a month. Such a waste." He sighed, rubbing his eyes in frustration. "Is there any encouraging news to discuss or is this place as doomed as it looks?"

Looking out the veiled sides of the palanquin Asuna shakes her head, bemused, "Just ordinary children. I was so certain..." Perhaps things were both better and worse than she had feared. Wasn't that a certain death sentence? Young boys were stupid, but that stupid? She starts from her reverie as she realizes Manato has been speaking to her. Her hand reaches out to rest over his apologetically and she looks chagrined. "I'm sorry, Manato. My thoughts were elsewhere. After the gala?" she grins, "You mean after I'm too drunk to crush Tepet Kurito at gateway?" Her expression sours and she sighs with melancholy longing, "There's just no satisfaction in it anymore; no sport in kicking a woman when she's down."

She considers briefly. "Do they have hot springs here? I haven't been to a proper luxury bath house in days. Your music, good drink, a steaming bath, hashish, good company - I could just melt away," she replies dreamily. "But perhaps you have something more exhilarating in mind?"

---

"Of course there's encouraging news to discuss, Manato. We're here," replies Asuna with an insufferable grin. "It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Cynis Harun. Yes, our dear Satrap does have a particular fascination with whips, chains, and knives. I do hope poor Fel is into that sort of thing, for his sake. Sometimes one simply isn't in the mood. Still, judiciously managed, people like her can be a valuable asset. I find myself surprised our beloved cousins in Ragara would toss her aside so casually, but it very much seems she's poised to take a fall down those long stairs of theirs if we don't intervene. I would very much like not to be dragged down with her."

In the palanquin
"I'll save any exhilarating surprises for the bathhouse." He said with a smirk. "I'm sure between the Satrap's tastes and Cynis enterprises, there will be a place with all the trappings of home."

At Cynis Harun's Mansion
"Fair points both. I have no intention of counting us out, and I'm sure Fel can summon up whatever Immaculate restraint they practice at house Ledaal and say no... if he wants to. Even if he doesn't, the more repressed houses need a chance to breathe sometimes. While his predicament is certainly one of the more entertaining developments of the day, it's sadly not the only one."

Manato steeples his hands meditating briefly on the situation at hand. "It's mostly the lack of action that troubles me. Anathema are akin to a disease. The longer they go untreated, the worse they become. Burning out the infection is going to be a very painful process for this city now that it's been allowed to fester. I'd prefer the people wouldn't have to suffer such a process." Manato chose to drop his concerns there. He sat up as the flame in his belly awakened from its rest.

"Well, this ship isn't going to right itself. Is there anything you can tell us about the Anathema or those supporting him, cousin? Barring that, anything we could use as leverage on the Satrap to get to her to do the right thing?" I just hope whatever drove her to the top of the class is still in there somewhere.

Seeing that Xandra is waiting on her, Larissa goes over to her and says, "I wish to go to the neighborhood around the temple to the Immaculate Order. Apparently, there are those that speak out against the Scarlet Empire there, and I hope to find their trail. I would welcome your company, but before we go, we must disguise ourselves to be able to blend in with the mortals. No flashy clothes, no 'greater than thou' attitude. If we get you the right look, can you pull it off? If not, we would be better suited to have you stay here for now."

OOC Making a Int + Larceny roll to make my own disguise. 3 successes
Psychie Psychie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back