• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Exalted 3E - Tale of a Falling Empire IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Seeing that Xandra is waiting on her, Larissa goes over to her and says, "I wish to go to the neighborhood around the temple to the Immaculate Order. Apparently, there are those that speak out against the Scarlet Empire there, and I hope to find their trail. I would welcome your company, but before we go, we must disguise ourselves to be able to blend in with the mortals. No flashy clothes, no 'greater than thou' attitude. If we get you the right look, can you pull it off? If not, we would be better suited to have you stay here for now."

OOC Making a Int + Larceny roll to make my own disguise. 3 successes
Psychie Psychie
Xandra pushes herself up off of the wall she was leaning on and grins. "Sure I can pull it off. I will submit myself to your tender mercies to make me look the part of a simple woman and not the dynamic swordswoman that I am. I have the added benefit that my armor and weapon can be summoned forth if we happen to get into trouble, so we don't have to worry about disguising them somehow. Lets do this."

Larissa returns the smile. "Excellent. Let me see what we can come up with to make you look a bit less formidable."

Making a Int + Larceny roll for Xandra's disguise. Only 2 successes.

With Fel...
Satori looks a little surprised at being asked such a question, before giving a shrug of her shoulders. "Oh, just a little curious." she answers nonchalantly. "It's not very often I have a chance to talk with a full-time warstrider pilot."

Fel arced a brow with a small smile, "Just curious? My Lady, curious is asking what its like riding in one and whats it look like. Interest is wanting to know details and location as if one has a familiarity with them. "

It was then he gave her a smooth smile, "Lady Satori, I'm not just a warstrider pilot. Give me more credit than that. I devoted my schooling and career into learning the ways of warstriders and other artiface of the First Age. With the proper time and resources... I'd be confident in saying I could build one."

With Asuna and Manato...
Harun sighs. "If you want me to tell you that I have just the means to make the satrap see sense, you're shit out of luck, to put it bluntly." she says. "That woman isn't just a psycopathic sadist, she's too stubborn for her own good. She was alright when she didn't have a direct hand in the rule of Kandara, and had a group of Empress-appointed councilors who could keep her under control. But with the king murdered, her being regent for his young son, and her council being stuffed with Ragara men, she's in the perfect position to throw Kandara into chaos, and there's no-one here willing or able to stop her. I don't think House Ragara even cares about what's happening here, and if they do, it's only enough to consciously decide to write this place off as a loss."

"As for Anathema, the only ones we know are in this area are that group who took over Jiara about a year ago." she continues. "As I'm sure you can guess, House Ragara has little intention of moving against them, seeing as they're causing trouble for no-one but Mnemon right now."

With Larissa and Xandra...
With your disguises, the two of you are able to travel towards the Temple District without being bothered by the locals, though Xandra gets a few odd looks; her disguise isn't quite as good as the Magistrate's.

As you walk, you find yourselves coming across a plaza within the city, one that is almost entirely occupied by a crowd of over a hundred people gathered within. All the members appear to be directing their attention at something or someone within the center of their midst. Were you to approach the crowd, you'd hear the following shouted in passionate Low Realm, followed by an equally loud Firetongue translation.

"The Dynasts tie our noses to the grindstone! They strip our lands of everything of value, taking our crops, our wealth, even our people, all for the sake of some war on some landmass across the sea! And then they have the gall to act like we should worship them! That we should bow down and kiss their feet whenever they pass! That we should treat them as paragons of enlightenment, when in truth, their morals are no better than those of common bandits!"

Loud cheers of outraged agreement from the crowd follow each point made by the two speakers. From the sound of it, the speech has been going on for a short while, and if anyone in the crowd didn't agree with its message before hearing it, they're slowly starting to do so.

With Fel...
"Hmm..." says Satori, looking like a thought has just occurred to her, before she smiles at him again, her manner becoming more friendly and seductive. "I don't have the facilities or resources you'd need to back up that statement...but I do have something else that might whet your appetite. Assuming that you can prove yourself worthy of my trust, that is."

Manato pauses at that response. As to appear not too stunned he asks the obvious question, if only to give himself more time to think. "Why stay here for all of this then, cousin? Surely there's a home back in Pangu ready to welcome you in again."

What are my options to turn this place around then? Do I trust that we can change the heart of the Satrap? Do I risk the ire of the imperial bank by usurping her? Hard to tell if the Ragaras would react worse if I assassinated her or merely had her arrested and indicted on conspiracy to aid Anathema insurrectionists. Even still, I'd need hard evidence to bring that kind of judgment down. At least we have some spies and an Immaculate inquisitor in our midst...

Either way we handle the Satrap, that still leaves the Solar forces to overcome. We have no legion, just an exhausted, unmotivated, and outnumbered city guard. I'm no general, but I need to rally troops and quickly. I have coin, I just need inventory... The guild is the only place I know to start. I hope they have an office in the area. It'd be my luck that this blockhead blonde scared them off. Maybe I can make some friends at that party of hers though...

Manato tried to retain as much as he could hear while sorting out what path he should resolve to take. "I guess the only other thing I could ask, given what's happened on the streets to us already... If I was in the market for personal security, who would you say I should speak to?"

"I'm sure there is, cousin." Harun says in answer to Manato's first question, while giving him a warm smile to thank him for his concern, and let him know that she'll be okay. "That said, after four decades managing our family's affairs within this city, I have to admit the place has grown on me a little. I plan to keep going here for as long as I can, before I inevitably have to leave."

---

"Yes, I heard a bit about what happened to you and your friends earlier. And as much as I sympathize with you all, I can't say I blame the people here for not being too fond of us at the moment." she says with regard to his next inquiry. "When you say you're in the market for personal security, what sort of thing are you thinking of?"

"People who are both willing and able to fight that aren't going to sell me or my companions out to an Anathema. If their presence happens to provoke the Satrap... Well, then I suppose that can't be helped." Manato says with a shrug, implying that might almost be desirable. "I am also sure that by the end of the night, I will have several friends wondering how long it will take before we can go on a little hunting trip."

With Asuna and Manato...
Harun sighs. "If you want me to tell you that I have just the means to make the satrap see sense, you're shit out of luck, to put it bluntly." she says. "That woman isn't just a psycopathic sadist, she's too stubborn for her own good. She was alright when she didn't have a direct hand in the rule of Kandara, and had a group of Empress-appointed councilors who could keep her under control. But with the king murdered, her being regent for his young son, and her council being stuffed with Ragara men, she's in the perfect position to throw Kandara into chaos, and there's no-one here willing or able to stop her. I don't think House Ragara even cares about what's happening here, and if they do, it's only enough to consciously decide to write this place off as a loss."

"As for Anathema, the only ones we know are in this area are that group who took over Jiara about a year ago." she continues. "As I'm sure you can guess, House Ragara has little intention of moving against them, seeing as they're causing trouble for no-one but Mnemon right now."

With your disguises, the two of you are able to travel towards the Temple District without being bothered by the locals, though Xandra gets a few odd looks; her disguise isn't quite as good as the Magistrate's.

As you walk, you find yourselves coming across a plaza within the city, one that is almost entirely occupied by a crowd of over a hundred people gathered within. All the members appear to be directing their attention at something or someone within the center of their midst. Were you to approach the crowd, you'd hear the following shouted in passionate Low Realm, followed by an equally loud Firetongue translation.

"The Dynasts tie our noses to the grindstone! They strip our lands of everything of value, taking our crops, our wealth, even our people, all for the sake of some war on some landmass across the sea! And then they have the gall to act like we should worship them! That we should bow down and kiss their feet whenever they pass! That we should treat them as paragons of enlightenment, when in truth, their morals are no better than those of common bandits!"

Loud cheers of outraged agreement from the crowd follow each point made by the two speakers. From the sound of it, the speech has been going on for a short while, and if anyone in the crowd didn't agree with its message before hearing it, they're slowly starting to do so.

With Fel...
"Hmm..." says Satori, looking like a thought has just occurred to her, before she smiles at him again, her manner becoming more friendly and seductive. "I don't have the facilities or resources you'd need to back up that statement...but I do have something else that might whet your appetite. Assuming that you can prove yourself worthy of my trust, that is."

Fel responded with a chuckle and a shrug, "There is plenty about you, Lady Satori, that whets my appetite, but that really depends on what I must do to earn your trust. As well, trust is something that works both ways in this."

Fel was not a hound looking for a master. But, it never hurt to have allies. And he expected her to show she was just as worthy of trust as himself. Just because the Ledaal family were not as upwardly ambitious as the houses, did not mean they weren't savvy or keen on being manipulated. "So what is it you propose?" He asked.

With Manato and Asuna...
Harun nods, seeing the logic in Manato's words. "My advice then? Look for people who still believe in the Immaculate Philosophy. They'll never take the word or silver of an Anathema, and while I can't promise they won't have their minds warped by the powers certain Anathema are said to possess, they'll likely be able to resist such things more easily."

"I know of a few groups of mercenaries in this area who are like that myself." she continues. "I'll get in contact with them and see if they're willing and able to come over here quickly."

Last edited:
With Fel...
"I'll tell you later, once we're more alone." she says, giving him one last lingering smile as she moves her horse away to a more socially acceptable distance. She continues to engage in friendly conversation with the Air Aspect during the journey, but she doesn't bring up Viridian Raptor or her own offer for the rest of it.

Before long, the group comes to a moderately-sized camp situated close to the edge of a forest that stretches for miles to both the west and east. As Satori explains to Fel, it's one of the outposts set up by House V'neef, from which Dynasts and other wealthy or influential individuals can head out on safari. Satori rides in, and the party has evidently been expected, for camp servants soon arrive to greet them and lead their horses away to a series of paddocks located on the camp outskirts, while directing the satrap and Fel to a large and luxurious pavilion that has been prepared for the two of them.

"The staff here, including the hunters, are all local tribesmen." Satori tells Fel. "They've been living and hunting in these parts since before V'neef herself was born, and they had little issue with accepting the Immaculate Philosophy when the Realm came. And unlike my people, they still follow it."

There's a dark timbre in her voice at that last sentence. She then goes to exchange words with the head of the camp, a fit, dark-skinned and bearded forty-something man in a brown buff jacket and dark-green head-wrap. The two of them speak in Flametongue, Satori asking if there are any beasts of note in the area, and the camp head answering her questions. Finally, Satori turns back to Fel.

"No great reptiles, but there is a hellboar in the grasslands west of here." she says to him. "We can head out after it now, or spend a bit of time in the camp if you want to rest and talk more."

With Fel...
"I'll tell you later, once we're more alone." she says, giving him one last lingering smile as she moves her horse away to a more socially acceptable distance. She continues to engage in friendly conversation with the Air Aspect during the journey, but she doesn't bring up Viridian Raptor or her own offer for the rest of it.

Before long, the group comes to a moderately-sized camp situated close to the edge of a forest that stretches for miles to both the west and east. As Satori explains to Fel, it's one of the outposts set up by House V'neef, from which Dynasts and other wealthy or influential individuals can head out on safari. Satori rides in, and the party has evidently been expected, for camp servants soon arrive to greet them and lead their horses away to a series of paddocks located on the camp outskirts, while directing the satrap and Fel to a large and luxurious pavilion that has been prepared for the two of them.

"The staff here, including the hunters, are all local tribesmen." Satori tells Fel. "They've been living and hunting in these parts since before V'neef herself was born, and they had little issue with accepting the Immaculate Philosophy when the Realm came. And unlike my people, they still follow it."

There's a dark timbre in her voice at that last sentence. She then goes to exchange words with the head of the camp, a fit, dark-skinned and bearded forty-something man in a brown buff jacket and dark-green head-wrap. The two of them speak in Flametongue, Satori asking if there are any beasts of note in the area, and the camp head answering her questions. Finally, Satori turns back to Fel.

"No great reptiles, but there is a hellboar in the grasslands west of here." she says to him. "We can head out after it now, or spend a bit of time in the camp if you want to rest and talk more."

"I noticed." Fel said regretfully on the topic of her people. "Hardship has a tendency to test faith, and corrode the foundation of will. I may be on sabbatical, but I will offer what aid I can in restoring their beliefs." After all, anathema feed off such environments. No doubt the cult of the illuminated were taking full advantage.

At the hunt. "A hellboar is a worthy foe, even tyrant lizards think twice about making them prey. I need no rest, Lady Satori, I am as ready as you. Do we have a strategy we wish to employ in this hunt? Depending on what we have available here, I may see if there are any good pikes or spears available. Much more apt weapons than my saber for hunting charging beasts."

Manato nods. "I know it may not be much, but anything we can get will help our efforts to restore a semblance of sanity to the Threshold. I have some ideas on other ways to strengthen our position. At the least, I will make sure this won't be a repeat of the Bull's victory." The Fire aspect clenched his fist at the thought, more rage in his heart than one might expect. "Thank you, and good luck cousin."

Upon parting from the meeting with his cousin, Manato began to set some plans into motion. First, he would get in contact with a sorcerer to send a message to his nearest Threshold office. The message states 'By the word of Cynis Manato on behalf of the Scarlet Dynasty, there is a Wyld Hunt bounty to be investigated in the region of Kandara. Please dispatch by ship a company of armed mercenaries to assist at the earliest opportunity. Please respond with the details of any arrangements as soon as possible.'

Well, I know this is a tall order for them. Still, they haven't failed me yet.
Manato assured himself. I just hope the Immaculates and house Ragara will be in good humor when I forward them a bill for this. I'd rather not have to make appeals to the Deliberative for something so petty, but someone needs to hold people responsible for doing their jobs. Even if I have to put on a show of disgracing them in front of the Dragons and all witnesses for gross incompetence. He lamented privately.

With Fel...
"We'll be travelling with a group of mounted archers gathered from the tribesmen. They'll help weaken the beast, and make it easier for us to kill it." explains Satori.

"And if you want a spear, the weapon racks are over there." she adds, pointing in their direction.

Back in Kandara...
Upon learning of Manato's intentions, Harun informs him that she has a sorcerer with the ability to cast Infallible Messenger on her staff. As she puts it, "it's a good way to get messages out of the city without having to go through Satori". Said sorcerer sends Manato's request to the nearest Threshold office, during which time Harun approaches her fellow Cynis.

"Do the two of you have any business elsewhere in the city?" she asks in a friendly manner. "If not, you're welcome to stay here and enjoy my hospitality, at least before I have to get ready for tonight's gala."

There's a certain edge in her voice as she says this. Not flirtatious - at least not entirely; the two of you are very attractive individuals - but suggestive, as if she's well aware of what House Cynis hospitality typically involves, and happy to live up to that reputation.

Larissa does her best to take her attention away from the man speaking and looks around to see if he is alone or if there is anyone with him. In the meantime, she whispers over to Xandra, "I think that the man is either a very persuasive speaker, or he may be using some Essence power to help sway the crowd. Ether way, he needs to be dealt with once this rally is over."

With Fel...
"We'll be travelling with a group of mounted archers gathered from the tribesmen. They'll help weaken the beast, and make it easier for us to kill it." explains Satori.

"And if you want a spear, the weapon racks are over there." she adds, pointing in their direction.

Back in Kandara...
Upon learning of Manato's intentions, Harun informs him that she has a sorcerer with the ability to cast Infallible Messenger on her staff. As she puts it, "it's a good way to get messages out of the city without having to go through Satori". Said sorcerer sends Manato's request to the nearest Threshold office, during which time Harun approaches her fellow Cynis.

"Do the two of you have any business elsewhere in the city?" she asks in a friendly manner. "If not, you're welcome to stay here and enjoy my hospitality, at least before I have to get ready for tonight's gala."

There's a certain edge in her voice as she says this. Not flirtatious - at least not entirely; the two of you are very attractive individuals - but suggestive, as if she's well aware of what House Cynis hospitality typically involves, and happy to live up to that reputation.

Fel would nod and explore the racks. Looking for a good spear. But with a hellboars hide, his saber would be hard pressed to get through. A spear though... well, things like hellboars and rampaging lunars go out of their ways to impale themselves.

Finding himself one that is nice and sturdy. He'd report to Satori and was ready to hunt.

Sherwood Sherwood Psychie Psychie
Peering over the heads of the crowd, Larissa gets a good view of the speakers. Or rather, the speaker, as it turns out to be a single person who can speak in both languages, and is stood on the top step of a large fountain based off one of the Elemental Dragons, in order to be seen by the crowd. He's a bearded man with light brown skin and short black hair, a build like that of a martial artist, and a a kaftan of gold-colored wool. Close by him are a group of twelve well-built men and women carrying clubs and staves, all wearing gold-colored sashes and standing around with the air of street toughs.

With the crowd fixated on the man and his speech, the two disguised Dragon-blooded go unnoticed by it. All of a sudden though, they both hear a load of agitated exclamations from somewhere on the opposite side of the crowd, followed by a loud and very familiar voice that reaches out across the square like a powerful wind.

"Begone, heretic! And take your blasphemy with you!" shouts Ledall Sengon. The speaker goes silent at this unexpected interruption, but the crowd turns and gives Sengon several loud boos and jeers in response to it, along with some more literate replies.

"You begone, Dynast puppets!"

"You still think we're stupid enough to believe your nonsense?!"

"Up yours, baldy!"

The speaker smirks, and decides to add his own voice to the developing drama. "Better a heretic than one of you Immaculate liars, Abbot Sengon!" he calls out mockingly in Low Realm, as if dealing with a weakling trying desperately to look tough.

The crowd cheers at these words, but things do not descend into violence. Not yet, anyway. If the mob want to lynch Sengon, there's something making them reluctant to do so.

Last edited:
Asuna gives Manato a curious look. "Ah, if only we could aspire to the bards-worthy tragedy of Futile Blood. I suspect, however, that a poorly trained city guard and one mercenary company being routed by an Anathema-led horde of angry peasants will not quite measure up to its grandeur," she observes dryly. "You really know how to please a woman, Manato. Not many would try to buy me my very own Futile Blood. It's not every day I can die in a forlorn last stand in some irrelevant piece of Threshold, beset by incompetence on one side and Anathema on the other. Still, next time you're in the market pondering how best to surprise and delight me, might I suggest chocolates? I'm also partial to baklava," suggests Asuna playfully.

"They teach us in the House of Bells that our job is to teach the women and men under us how to fight, and, if necessary, how to die. Regrettably I'm on vacation, but if you were hoping to receive a few pointers on how to die gloriously for the Empress I can pencil you in for early next year."

"Lady Harun, you know not how it pains me to decline the famous hospitality of our beloved sister House, but regrettably I have a previous engagement. If you would have me, I would be remiss if I did not avail myself of your generous offer at least once before we... depart. One way or the other."

"I need not fabricate such a tragedy to sing of you, sweet Asuna." Manato said with an appreciative glance and suggestive smile. "Still, I will make what likely futile preparations I can if it means we can enjoy chocolate and baklava for a while longer."

He turns to his Harun to give his own answer to her offer, flattered by her interest. "I have no prior arrangements to speak of. You have been a most gracious and generous host. I would be honored to keep company with you."

With Fel...
With all the preparations made, Satori and Fel mount up and ride west. They are now accompanied by a group of twelve tribesmen, each one wearing a buff jacket and armed with a spear, scimitar and shortbow.

The tribesmen handle picking out the signs of the hellboar's trail for the two Dragon-blooded. Before long you catch sight of the porcine beast, currently munching on the corpse and shell of a pestletail at an extreme distance from you. It doesn't appear to have noticed the hunters, but that swiftly changes.

"Come on! Let's get it!" shouts Satori eagerly, drawing her daiklave and spurring her horse into a charge, heading straight for the hellboar. The mounted hunters quickly follow her lead.

D. Rex D. Rex , roll Join Battle if you wish to participate in the hunt.

With Asuna and Manato...
"The commander here will certainly appreciate that. He's a Tepet man, after all." Harun replies jokingly in response to Manato's remark about the Bull in the North.

She grins enigmatically at Manato when he accepts her offer, while upon hearing Asuna's decline of it, she gives the other woman an accepting smile. "I understand. I'm one of the people who've been invited to the meeting, after all." she says, clearly expecting this to come as a surprise to Asuna, judging by the smirk on her face. "You wish to host a festival of some kind in this city, from what I've gathered. Well, I'm one of the wealthiest people here, and I've no doubt you'll need laborers to help set everything up."

While the crowd jeers at Sengon, Larissa tries to covertly move through the throngs of people to be closer to the front of the crowd, watching the speaker and his twelve hangers-on with interest. She plans on being able to recognize him if they cross paths again.

In the meantime, she waits, watching for the speaker to try something more dramatic or to try to escape for her to track them down.

Xandra is getting a bit peeved at the man shouting at the Immaculate Monk. It would be so easy to go up and beat the living snot out of him, but that would not move their ultimate goal of putting an end to the insurrection. She must be patient, and let Larissa track them back to the rest of the Cult of the Illuminated. Then she can give into her more martial desires freely.

She does her best to keep close to Larissa as the other woman moves through the crowd, hoping that this will not end up being a riot.

The hunt...
Starting Initiative:
Hellboar = 9
Satori = 7
Fel = 6
Hunters = 4

All of you start at extreme distance from the hellboar.

The hellboar turns towards the group at the sound of Satori's call, and with an ominous-sounding growl, starts running towards them, soon coming within long range of the group.

Satori continues riding towards the Hellboar, moving to within medium range of it.

What do you wish to do, D. Rex D. Rex ?

Current Initiative:
Hellboar = 9 (Move)
Satori = 7 (Move)
Fel = 6 <----
Hunters = 4

The hunt...
Starting Initiative:
Hellboar = 9
Satori = 7
Fel = 6
Hunters = 4

All of you start at extreme distance from the hellboar.

The hellboar turns towards the group at the sound of Satori's call, and with an ominous-sounding growl, starts running towards them, soon coming within long range of the group.

Satori continues riding towards the Hellboar, moving to within medium range of it.

What do you wish to do, D. Rex D. Rex ?

Current Initiative:
Hellboar = 9 (Move)
Satori = 7 (Move)
Fel = 6 <----
Hunters = 4

Fel will stay alongside Satori, moving closer. To make sure she doesn't get hurt. And of course to to get in range to attack it.

The two dynasts move through the crowd towards the rough location of Sengon. None of the audience members give them a second glance, and the pair arrive at the edge of the crowd to see Sengon stood there in his robes, apparently unarmed. Backing him up are about two dozen mortal Immaculate monks standing behind him, all armed with either staves or tetsubos.

"You call me a liar, and yet you and ilk exhort these people to follow Anathema with false promises and claims! You seek to manipulate them for your own dark purposes!" shouts Sengon.

There is silence, before the crowd then parts in front of Sengon, revealing a space in which the bearded and brown-skinned man stands, people having moved out of his way to let him through. Now within short distance of the Dragon-blooded Immaculate, he smirks at him, showing no fear despite surely knowing what the bald man is.

"We barely had to do anything to motivate the people here. They were calling for an end to the Satrap's tyranny for years before our order came to Kandara, owing to her misrule and the greed of the supposed paragons on the Blessed Isle." he says in that same mocking tone, knowing that he's giving Sengon an unpleasant reminder. "And nothing we say is false. We know the truth about the Anathema, or the Solar and Lunar Exalted, as they are properly called. We know that they are the rightful protectors of this world, not the mindless and corrupted monsters the Immaculate Philosophy casts them as for the sake of its worldly stranglehold. And now, the people of Kandara are beginning to see that as well. Your time is over, as is that of all corrupt Dynasts who continue to cling to your order's delusions."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back