• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Exalted 3E - Tale of a Falling Empire IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
"By seeking an audience with them, for starters." Manato replied nonchalantly. "Depending on their temperaments, I should be able to conduct a cordial negotiation with them the same as anyone else. As for how I intend to secure this audience... well, music is as potent an offering as any. I'm sure if they have other demands it will be made evident soon enough."

He turns to Sengon and takes another pull of smoke before asking. "I presume the temple is still fit for prayer?"

"It most certainly is. We can head over there as soon as you please." replies Sengon, approaching Manato from where he was previously stood off to the side.

Asuna gives an almost imperceptible smile at Manato's rebuke of the court, but seeing little official support for sallying forth to meet the enemy she politely takes her leave. You can only do so much to save someone from themselves. She touches Larissa's shoulder as she passes, murmuring, "Thank you for doing this. Do let us know what you find. We're all simply dying to know what Jinlong is up to."

She gives Manato a kiss on the cheek, "Dragons bless your efforts, my budding yamabushi," then slips out. Shortly thereafter she peruses the selection at an upscale perfumery before selecting one and asking to have it wrapped in a very particular way. She takes the proffered package with a smile and departs to read its secret contents in private somewhere. A servant will be along eventually to monetarily reciprocate the merchant's generous gift in order to keep up appearances. It would be beneath her to touch currency directly.

Within the package, Asuna finds a number of pages that look to have been torn out of a journal. Arranging the pages in order creates a long message that reads as follows:

Lady Asuna

Apologies for the delay in sending word to you. While our people were able to blend with the Anathema forces easily enough, it took a few days to reach and then find them. I only hope that the information I provide here will be worth the wait.

We have identified the Anathema leader, Jinlong, as one of the Blasphemous, and confirmed the presence of two other Anathema within her forces. One is a Forsaken by the name of Kuaidao, and from what I have gathered he was once a patrician and member of the Imperial Legions, before his true nature was revealed during an engagement with the forces of another Anathema. He joined up with Jinlong some time around the fall of Yangofu, and currently serves as one of Jinlong's main generals, offering advice and overseeing the training of her forces. The other Anathema is one of the Frenzied, a beastman named Yin-Shizi who has long been an enemy of the Realm. He commands an army of three-thousand moon lion beastmen, but he and his forces are more akin to allies of Jinlong, rather than subordinates of hers. There are two more suspected Anathema named Annika and Selket whom Jinlong has been in contact with, but they are currently spying for her within Kandara, and I have no way of learning their true natures.

We have also discovered at least a dozen Dragon-blooded within her ranks, outcastes and - regretfully - traitorous Dynasts who have become disillusioned with the Realm and the Great Houses. One of them is Karal Okimura, an Earth Aspect and veteran general of Lookshy who joined Jinlong a few years ago, and who serves as another of her generals. From what I have deduced, he has an unrequited romantic affection for Jinlong. Another Dragon-blooded of note is a Marukan horselord and Fire Aspect who joined around the same time as Okimura. I do not know his name, but I know that he has bought along a few hundred of his own people, serves as her third general, and is training Jinlong's cavalry in Marukani horsemanship and tactics. Other Dragon-blooded who are not in Jinlong's inner circle are a Wood Aspect healer and herbalist, a Fire Aspect Cathak with a grand daiklave and articulated plate of Red Jade, an Air Aspect sorcerer of House Ledall, and a member of House Iselsi who wields the razor claws Vengeant.

As for the makeup of Jinlong's forces, the majority of them are Kandaran peasants who have suffered under the oppression and negligence of Satori and the Realm. Kuaidao has been training them as soldiers during their march, and he has already bought them to a competent level [Average Drill], no doubt due to his Anathema magics. The rest - a few thousand or so - are men and women from other lands, many of whom have followed Jinlong since before her conquest of Yangofu. So far they have not yet had the benefit of Kuaidao's training, but have instead been trained by Okimura. As for how this host is being supplied, we have discovered that, in addition to supplies from Yangofu and the surrounding lands, an unknown party is supporting Jinlong's forces with shipments of food, weapons and armor. So far we have been unable to find any clues to this person's identity.

At present, Jinlong and her forces are camped within the forests near the capital, around a day's march away. From what we have discovered, she is aware of events within the city, including the gathering of reinforcements against her, and the attempts being made to regain the trust of the mortal citizenry. She does not appear to be in correspondence with the Cult of the Illuminated; it may be that she is using an unknown means to, or that they are acting completely independent of her, and her only sources of information are Annika and Satori. Whatever the case, we know that she and her inner circle have expressed surprise at the reforms being carried out by Satori and Cynis Manato, mainly because such reports are at odds with how Jinlong remembers Satori. From what I have gathered, she may even be having second thoughts about her war now that Satori is seemingly acting like a competent ruler, though I would not consider the danger to be over; Yin-Shizi for one has been most vocal about continuing the campaign and driving out the Realm. And while Jinlong's actions might suggest a hint of concern for the people of Kandara, we must remember that she and her followers are Anathema; the workings of her mind are at best impossible to entirely comprehend.

I will send you further information whenever I can.
C.

Last edited:
Manato smiled at Asuna's kiss as she passed returning one in kind. "Yours as well my darling. I will try and keep this brief." He turned to Larissa with a grateful nod of respect. "Above all else, stay safe Larissa. Let us know if we can be of any help."

He beckoned one of his attendants to call for one of his instruments before addressing Sengon. Within a few moments, he was offered a small box from which he withdrew a small round vessel of clay, strung on a leather string that he placed around his neck as if it were no more than another part of his attire. "This is about all the preparation I need. I'm ready anytime."

Sengon nods, and sets off. He walks to the city's Immaculate Temple, preferring to travel in a humble manner, while Manato is free to walk as well, borrow a horse, charter a stagecoach, or travel to the temple in any way he sees fit. As he proceeds through the streets, the Fire Aspect sees that the citizens of the city are already starting to look a little revitalized as a result of the changes he and his friends have brought upon Kandara. With a few months worth of attention and investment, the kingdom may yet be restored to how it was during the Empress's time. Of course, that's assuming the city and kingdom aren't conquered in the meantime.

The city's main temple is a modest yet large walled complex. Stepping through a great gate, the two of you enter a courtyard where about two-dozen Immaculate Monks are going through Wood Dragon forms, men and women shaved bald and wielding staves in near-perfect synchronization. Around you are various buildings, no doubt classrooms, an administrative block, storerooms and and sleeping quarters for the monks.

Sengon looks to Manato, ready to see what the Fire Aspect plans to do.

Asuna sits seiza at a low table in the study in her suite, eyes growing progressively wider as she decodes the missive by candlelight, the speed at which she works growing with her excitement. Oh you magnificent fucking bastard. If you were here I would kiss you. How did they ever let slip about the two in the city? I may never meet you, C, but you're getting a glowing report and a token of my favour.

The news wasn't good, but better to see the tiger than fumble for it in the dark. Better still to see the tiger, the scorpion underfoot, and the snake in the grass. Dragons only know how many more in this deadly menagerie were yet to be revealed. Up to six Anathema, three of whom were already in the city. Twelve Princes of the Earth, and where the fuck did she even find an Iselsi? She mentally upgrades her assessment of the importance of C as an asset if they've been cleared to know Iselsi still exists, and can spot one in the field. Someone must have given her a present in assigning this one. Keeping tabs on Iselsi was one of the family's many hobbies. Their near-suicidal vendetta made them useful knives in the back of Dynastic enemies, and their non-existence meant few saw them coming, but this particular snake in the grass was about to bite her, and would have to be put down.

Ironically her veterans were likely the weakest point in her lines. That information was invaluable if accurate. Now when she meets them in the field she knows to press there and break the line, rather than the green recruits hardened by Anathema magic. Fel and Larissa will need to cut down the Marukani auxiliaries. They cannot be allowed to wreak havoc behind the lines. Six Anathema. The Tepets had Legions. Plural. And a whole House of some of the finest Exalted warriors the Realm had ever produced. And still they lost to six Anathema. But they didn't have her. If she didn't win this battle, her Hearth would die. Manato would die. And just think of the glory when she won. How she could stare down everyone who ever doubted her when she addressed the Deliberative with Manato and demanded her Legion be assigned to something useful instead of garrisoning Chanos. If she can defeat a horde of Anathema with this rabble, they'll tremble to see her in command of real soldiers.

Oh, darling, she still had you flogged to death. No matter how impressive Manato's reforms, you aren't turning away now. Not when you're so close you can almost taste your vengeance. Don't disappoint me.

---

[Whirlwind of stuff I've only now realized the Great Curse should have made me do over the last few days time.]
To project authority was to display the symbols of power, to tap into collective cultural narratives of greatness and divinity. For those amongst the imperial officer corps whose martial tradition made armour superfluous, the dress uniform was a necessary art form. Tailoring both practical and elegant, rich but durable fabrics in bright colours immediately recognizable on the battlefield, and allegorical symbols of power. Asuna wears knee high black dragonscale boots with red accents, loose pants of black silk with stitched columns of red and gold fire on the outseams, and a long jacket of cloth-of-Black-and-Red-Jade woven in a dragonscale pattern reminiscent of the lamellar armour favoured by her heavily armoured peers, cinched at the waist with a red belt. Her House mon is prominently displayed on her shoulders and breast. Her braided hair is decorated with shining metal rings depicting the greatest victories of the scions of her House, and crowned with a tsunami diadem carved of a single flawless sapphire that shines brilliantly in the sun.

She stepped onto the platform the review the mercenaries Manato had gifted her. The review was an ancient tradition that served two purposes: Firstly, and most importantly, to ensure every soldier knew her by sight and respected her authority. Distant second was to estimate the quality and state of the soldiers under her command. To her primary end, then, she summoned every last dreg of divine majesty she could muster as she stood before them, hands clasped behind her back, expression stern but neutral, and recited a speech long since memorized from having been recited so often. "Some of you may have served under a Prince of the Earth before. You have not served under me. Exalted warfare is as much a battle of wills, yours and mine and the enemy's, as it is of blood and iron. When I issue commands, I issue them as much to Creation as you. You will find yourself capable of doing impossible feats when I demand it because I will it, and because Creation recognizes in me a sovereign bearing the Mandate of Heaven. When I demand you march for days without rest, and then fight outnumbered ten to one, the question is not whether you can do those things, for I will give you the strength. No, the question is whether you have the discipline and faith to hold the line, to take the strength I grant you and fight the nightmares that lurk in the shadows at the edge of the world and the savage barbarians without number. I impose my victory over the enemy by force of will and my command of Creation. Such mundane concerns as numbers and skill at arms are small details, a minor distraction or aid in the clash of my will against the enemy, but discipline is everything. With it, at my command you will overcome anything. I can grant you all the strength in the world, and if you lack the will to use it, if you abandon your comrades to break and run, then it is all for naught."

She pauses to draw breath and survey the assembled soldiers. "I do not ask you to take these claims on faith alone. Today I will demonstrate this truth to you, that you will know it and hold it in your hearts, so when we meet the Anathema in battle you will be as resolute and unwavering as the Imperial Mountain. So there will be no doubt in your mind that so long as you stand beside your comrades, I will command the Gods themselves with righteous fury to grant you the strength to strike down the blasphemous abomination that rides against us, and they will obey. You will now divide yourselves into two groups, one ten times the size of the other, and we will engage in a combat exercise. I will command the smaller group to defeat the larger, and they will. We will repeat this exercise with different groups as many times as necessary until you are convinced that at my word any one of you will do the impossible. Acknowledge your understanding."

As she listens to their response she nods gravely, "Begin."
Asuna aims to instill a Minor intimacy of faith in her command ability, leveraging any intimacies they have about the power of Dragonblooded from all the stories they've heard. She'll up it to Major by providing direct evidence of her abilities.

It occurs to me that I may have shot myself in the foot with my stat spread. Socialize isn't really appropriate here, unless I can argue this is a formal occasion or ritual. I don't have Presence, but I could trade my unused (and rather useless) points of Dodge for Presence. Ordinarily for command I'd roll Appearance + War or Intelligence + War - could I use those to drill and inspire soldiers?

Regardless, let me know if you want me to roll for drilling and inspiring, and what pool I should use.

Instill Faith in Asuna's Command Ability
Presence 3 + Appearance 5 + Stunt 2 + Appearance Bonus 3 - Multiple Targets 3 = 10; 6 hits

Raising it from Minor to Major, Leveraging any intimacies about the legendary prowess of the Exalted + the evidence of the training exercise
Presence 3 + Appearance 5 + Stunt 2 + Appearance Bonus 3 - Multiple Targets 3 = 10; 4 hits

---

Asuna gives one of the soundly sleeping guards a peck on the cheek and rises from his lap, leaving the half empty cup and bottle of drugged wine on the table. People will believe the most outrageous claims when they desperately want to. She slips passed quietly and pulls a set of cheap metal picks from the sleeve of a dress that was likely once nice but has clearly seen better days, setting to work on each of the cells in turn. "I've seen what the Satrap does to prisoners," she whispers fiercely with what she likes to think is an excellent local accent that places her as a minor noble from one of the rural agricultural estates, "Not for speaking the truth. Not again. I'm getting you out of here. Come on."

Asuna's going to make concerted efforts to join the Cult of the Illuminated and any other seditious organizations she can find. If she can't personally join because she's already too busy, she'll try to help get one of her people in.

6m Larceny Excellency + 1 WP for 4 successes
Larceny 5 + Manipulation 5 + Specialty 1 + Stunt 2 = 13; 8 hits + 4 = 12 successes

---

The air is thick with smoke and cheap incense to cover the smell of worse as Asuna is ushered in to sit at a low table of cutthroats and gangsters. "Ladies," she says with a nod, "Gentlemen. You are all people of business, important members of the community whose time is not to be wasted. I apologize for requesting this audience on such short notice, but I think the extenuating circumstances evident. I will not mince words. You are as unhappy as anyone over the mismanagement in recent years, but it will be nothing compared to the iron fist of an Anathema. Her rule will make Paragon look like Wu-Jian, and honest business people such as yourselves have no place in her design. She has the power and the will to snuff you out. I, on the other hand, represent interests who value the services you provide to the community, and would be most happy to see them continue. I come to you to recommend we make common cause against a common enemy, and to offer well compensated work. My employer would like to see spies and seditionists revealed or brought to unfortunate ends, and you have the eyes, ears, and knives to see it done."
Hunting spies and traitors by leveraging underworld contacts. Not sure what the right pool for this one is. Larceny + Intelligence maybe? It could be a bargain to hire help from organized crime, or I could roll an instill to convince them Jinlong was their enemy. I'm taking shots in the dark to see if I can retroactively have found some sign of one of the Anathema spies in the city, since I have zero clues about who they are so far.

4m Larceny Excellency for 2 successes
Larceny 5 + Intelligence 5 + Stunt 2 = 12; 6+2=8 hits

Last edited:
Manato smiled at Asuna's kiss as she passed returning one in kind. "Yours as well my darling. I will try and keep this brief." He turned to Larissa with a grateful nod of respect. "Above all else, stay safe Larissa. Let us know if we can be of any help."
Larissa gives Manto a nod with a wry smile. "I fully intend on coming back in one piece, don't you worry about that. I would normally happily accept any and all offers of assistance, but I am hardly able to take a passenger with me for a long distance flight. I will go out, take a careful look at the position and numbers of the opposing force, and be right back so our capable generals can make use of the intelligence that I will gather." With another nod, she turns heads out of the room, heading for an open space large enough to spread her winged cloak out wide and take to the air.

With Larissa...
Larissa is able to find plenty of open space within the courtyard of the palace complex from which to take off. Several people who observe her gasp in amazement as the Air Aspect sprouts literal wings and sets forth into the sky.

Once high enough, Larissa sees that the land for the first several miles around Kandara appears to be plains and farmland, before becoming dense forest to the north and northeast. Given that Yangofu is located northeast of Kandara, logic dictates that Jinlong's host will be camped somewhere in that direction, assuming they march as the raiton flies. Alone and with the power of flight, Larissa will be able to travel between the forests and the city far quicker than a large army, but it'll still take her a few hours in each direction.

Similarly, if she glances to the west, she'll see two large groups of people approaching the city from that direction, both sticking relatively close together. One looks to be more than twice as large as the other, but at this distance Larissa cannot make out any details without using some supernatural means.

Last edited:
With Asuna...
The mercenaries took heart and stood a little straighter after hearing Asuna's words. Her efforts to infiltrate the Cult of the Illuminated bore similar fruit. She was able to pass as a sympathizer, and discovered that the Cult within Kandara had little formal structure and organization beyond a collection of people who were willing to speak up against Dynasts and the Immaculate Philosophy. There were others who helped them, of course - lookouts, heavies, people willing to provide safehouses - but the members as a whole were divided up into cells that had minimal knowledge of each other, no doubt to reduce the damage betrayal could do.

Each cell was largely autonomous, but they received the occasional written note from the Speaker, whose name turned out to be Mukabirun. At some point, shortly after the confrontation with Manato, he'd decreed that members were to refrain from marking themselves with knives in order to show their devotion. As it turned out, Mukabirun had never ordered or deliberately encouraged the practice in the first place; members and supporters of the Cult who'd done it had made the choice entirely of their own free will. His other notes, like the report Asuna would later get from her agent, indicated that Mukabirun and Jinlong were not in correspondence with each other, or even working together; Mukabirun and the Cult were acting for her benefit without her knowledge. And if the notes were to be believed, Mukabirun truly saw Jinlong as a noble-hearted liberator, and genuinely believed that Kandara and its people would be far better off under her than they would be under the Realm, owing to the misrule of the Great Houses as they prepared to fight for the throne.

When Asuna moved to integrate herself with the criminal element of the city, she soon found that most of the professional rogues had long since been purged by Satori. Nowadays, the majority of the city's criminals were people who'd been forced into the lifestyle to make ends meet, having been impoverished by Realm rule. Many of them were subsequently sympathetic to Jinlong, but there were others who still believed in the Immaculate Philosophy with regards to Anathema. With the money Asuna could afford to pay them, they agreed to do as she asked, but warned that they couldn't make any promises. So far, they had failed to spot any signs of attempted subversion, aside from the activities of the Cult of the Illuminated.

Asuna lays sprawled out on top of one of the workbenches in Fel's adopted underground workshop, critically examining an instrument held in outstretched arms above her head as she waves it to and fro. It glows faintly at one end and emits a soft musical hum when it moves. "Sex toy?" she asks, glancing at Fel. "No, huh? No, don't tell me, I'll get it. Don't look at me like that, of course this is critical to the defense of the city. Oh, alright. How would one, strictly hypothetically speaking, go about finding less than a fang of Anathema spies in a small Threshold city state on short notice, if one were so inclined? Which one certainly isn't, because I'm busy guessing what this is. Musical instrument? No? Okay, would a peasant use it? I think you could peel fruit with this sharp bit. No? Come now, neither of us has peeled a fruit in this life, how can you be sure? Because it..." Asuna slots a colourful gem into one end of the handle as instructed, "Oh. Yes. I see. Definitely not a sex toy. Although... I suppose if you... hmm... could I borrow this later?"

Before Fel can answer Asuna's question, Ledaal Kessi enters the room, and takes a glance at the object being held by the Water Aspect. She gives a mischievous smirk, placing her artificial hand on her hip.

"Trust me, you do not want to shove either end of that thing up your snatch, or any other orifice of your body." she warns. "Best case scenario, you end up unable to have sex or give birth ever again. Worst case scenario, at least half your torso gets split vertically from the crotch up."

She's being lighthearted about it, but both Fel and Asuna can tell that she's also quite serious here. Her warning given, Kessi clears her throat and looks at the Air Aspect.

"Anyway, Fel, I've been looking for you. I just heard from our people that our House's reinforcements will arrive at this city very shortly. They linked up with the Blades of Hesiesh - that's a pro-Immaculate martial order which Sengon called in a few days ago - as well as five dragons worth of Realm soldiers from the mine at Akarukan hold. Apparently there was a formal agreement between that place and Kandara that allowed the satrap to request military support from there."

Last edited:
Asuna grimaces as she puts it down and pats it gingerly. "Upon sober reflection, I wouldn't want to deny the war effort this critical resource for even a moment."

Asuna lays sprawled out on top of one of the workbenches in Fel's adopted underground workshop, critically examining an instrument held in outstretched arms above her head as she waves it to and fro. It glows faintly at one end and emits a soft musical hum when it moves. "Sex toy?" she asks, glancing at Fel. "No, huh? No, don't tell me, I'll get it. Don't look at me like that, of course this is critical to the defense of the city. Oh, alright. How would one, strictly hypothetically speaking, go about finding less than a fang of Anathema spies in a small Threshold city state on short notice, if one were so inclined? Which one certainly isn't, because I'm busy guessing what this is. Musical instrument? No? Okay, would a peasant use it? I think you could peel fruit with this sharp bit. No? Come now, neither of us has peeled a fruit in this life, how can you be sure? Because it..." Asuna slots a colourful gem into one end of the handle as instructed, "Oh. Yes. I see. Definitely not a sex toy. Although... I suppose if you... hmm... could I borrow this later?"

Fel didn't mind her being here. As much as he had been working, social calls were appreciated. Though he had expected her to get bored quickly. But he should have known, with nipple chokes, suction head calculations, peckerboxes, strippers and dykes, sex bolts, shafts, tips, nuts, lubrication injectors, and a lot of caulk, that she would no doubt find herself plenty entertained.

So while Fel busied himself on the repairing of a part, he let her explore. It was only an essence powered, magical material grade rivet gun. It wasn't loaded so it shouldn't hurt her unless she did shove it up there. Though... yeah if it was loaded it probably would do as Kessi said.

"You know... if you are that starved for sexual gratification that Manato can't keep up... it wouldn't be much of an effort to rig something up." He said as he pried off pieces from the mechanical box he was working on. It was leaking fluid, and there was already a small puddle of it in the bench. If he could refurbush it, then it would provide them an extra.

Fel looked up from his work and turned to Kessi, wiping his hands on a nearby rag, "Don't scare her too badly, or she will think there is no fun to be had in a workshop." He said with a smirk.

"But that is great news on all fronts. And if our luck keeps heading this direction then Jinlong's dogs will break their teeth on our walls. Here is the question though..." he said, tossing the rag back in the bench as his smile faded. "Will they get here in time for the initial attack? And are they going to be vulnerable on their way here?"

The air aspect stepped to the side, grabbing a yellow vial from the shelf. "And to answer your hypothetical question, Asuna..."

He shook the vial and it began to glow, popping the cork he poured the vial into an inlet at the top of the part he had been stripping down.

"I could spend the rest of the day checking every gasket, every bolt, every ring, every fastening..." he said, watching it and waiting.

"Or... I could make the leak stand out."

He pointed at the machine, were a small stream of glowing yellow was finally becoming seen. For emphasis, he followed it with his finger, and popped open access to the inside, where three smaller streams were coming from seal that otherwise looked as tight as it should be.

"I will have to flush the system before I can use it, but the gain in time is a net positive."

Putting the cork back on the vial, he handed it to Asuna. "Use 'dye'. Trace it to its source. Mark each leak. Then fix it."

"But unfortunately... unlike humans, these leaks won't tell me the locations of their friends when I ask 'nicely'."

Last edited:
Fel looked up from his work and turned to Kessi, wiping his hands on a nearby rag, "Don't scare her too badly, or she will think there is no fun to be had in a workshop." He said with a smirk.

"But that is great news on all fronts. And if our luck keeps heading this direction then Jinlong's dogs will break their teeth on our walls. Here is the question though..." he said, tossing the rag back in the bench as his smile faded. "Will they get here in time for the initial attack? And are they going to be vulnerable on their way here?"

"Hey, just looking out for her." Kessi replies with a smirk of her own. "And as to your questions, the reinforcements are currently travelling across the plains and farmlands to the west, whereas Jinlong's army is thought to be camped out in the forests northeast of here. Odds are they won't be able to launch any kind of attack without us spotting them. And our people are currently expected to reach the city in advance of them."

Sengon nods, and sets off. He walks to the city's Immaculate Temple, preferring to travel in a humble manner, while Manato is free to walk as well, borrow a horse, charter a stagecoach, or travel to the temple in any way he sees fit. As he proceeds through the streets, the Fire Aspect sees that the citizens of the city are already starting to look a little revitalized as a result of the changes he and his friends have brought upon Kandara. With a few months worth of attention and investment, the kingdom may yet be restored to how it was during the Empress's time. Of course, that's assuming the city and kingdom aren't conquered in the meantime.

The city's main temple is a modest yet large walled complex. Stepping through a great gate, the two of you enter a courtyard where about two-dozen Immaculate Monks are going through Wood Dragon forms, men and women shaved bald and wielding staves in near-perfect synchronization. Around you are various buildings, no doubt classrooms, an administrative block, storerooms and and sleeping quarters for the monks.

Sengon looks to Manato, ready to see what the Fire Aspect plans to do.
Manato steps forward through the temple grounds toward the altar. He set down a satchel he held over a shoulder and withdrew incense to place upon the incensors and lit them with a snap. Taking a brush and parchment from his effects, he scribed an old realm glyph for parley and let it ignite upon the burning fumes lifting a sweet aroma into the atmosphere of the now Immaculate Temple. He waited for a brief moment to enjoy the scents before finally taking the instrument he wore around his neck and filling the room with a melody inspired by hope and gratitude as an offering to the chief deity of Kandara.

[Full performance excellency for 6m, 9 successes]

With Manato...
As Manato plays his flute, the smoke streams from the incense burners converge into a pair of great purple clouds that slowly drift in front of him. When he is done with his tune, the sound of a strong wind emanates from both of them, steadily increasing in volume until the clouds suddenly explode into transparent mist, each one revealing a tall humanoid figure stood within the center.

The figure on the right is a man with dark hair in a topknot, who wears the robes and headpiece of a Blessed Isle prefect, albeit a style not seen since the Realm's first few decades of existence. The figure on the left is a slightly plump woman with long hair the color of wheat, who wears the attire of a wealthy and successful landowner. From what Sengon has said to Manato prior to his arrival at the temple, the man is Zhang-Guan, the god of the capital city, while the woman is Mazarie, the most powerful of the region's field guardians and the unofficial god of fertility and agriculture for the area. These two are perhaps the most important deities in Kandara, besides the five dragons.

"Greetings, young Dragon-blooded. To what end do you seek counsel with the gods of Kandara?" Zhang-Guan asks Manato in deep High Realm, he and Mazarie regarding the Fire Aspect with polite expressions.

The fire aspect gives a nod of respect to both divinities, responding in High Realm as they appear to be comfortable enough with it. "I'll get to the point to save us all some time. No doubt the two are you are aware of the anathema cult in the area and news of an impending attack, yes? What I want is simply to prevent their conquest of this land. It'd be foolish of us to spend so much time rallying allies while neglecting the spirit court." Manato said as he rose from a seated posture. "Not only that, but I'd like to continue making reforms for prosperity. That, however, is more of a long-term project. For now, what can you tell me about the court's dealings with Jinlong and her allies?"

"To the best of our knowledge, Jinlong has not yet made concerted efforts to reach out to the spirit court." replies Zhang-Guan. "Some spirits have approached her and her people with offers of support, though. From what those spirits have said, Jinlong is willing to allow free worship of the gods should she succeed in her conquest, but she has made it very clear that she will not permit the gods to exploit mortals for increased worship. She's even gone so far as to confront spirits who do just that, rebuking them with both words and daiklave."

"Of course they fucking have..." Manato snapped. His fists clenched and smoke billowed from his mouth as spoke. "It's been nearly a decade since embarking on the reform project and everywhere I go all I see is feckless, petty, little shits ruining everything. Esteemed Exalted spreading misery, driving people to flock these disgusting anathema... The deliberative rolling out a red carpet for these bastards to invade just so they can chase a red fucking chair..." Pain mingled with rage in his heart. Manato lashed out at a nearby column slamming a burning fist against the stone in a sizzling thud. He ignored the now smoking soot-covered print, struggling to retain control of himself. "When does this pathetic fucking circus stop!?"

Manato could feel the destructive impulses coursing through his veins. He drew in a deep breath slowly and exhaled a black fume with a grunting sigh. He turned his gaze back to Zhang-Guan and Mazarie "I've grown beyond tired of testimony after testimony for how ready everyone seems to be to roll over for all the newly minted golden terrors. What is it going to take to keep the rest of the spirits of Kandara from backing that accursed devil wench?" He asked coldly.

Both gods look mildly affronted by Manato's outburst.

"I wouldn't say that this is indicative of looming spiritual treason." Zhang-Guan protests. "Yes, on the surface this might be an attractive offer on Jinlong's part, but it's not like she'll let us take full advantage of it, if it's true that she's going after corrupt spirits. If anything, she and her people are likely to police us harder, seeing as they haven't been neutered like the Realm and the Immaculate Order both have."

"Still, the fact remains that some spirits will consider it an attractive offer." Mazarie retorts to her fellow spirit. She then turns to look at Manato and Sengon. "Personally, the two of us don't intend to take sides in this conflict. We're fine with how the Immaculates do things here. But if I were to answer your question, the only thing I can think of would be to allow free worship of spirits just as Jinlong intends to do. By doing that, you deprive her of her main bargaining chip with the gods."

From the way Sengon frowns at these words, he's clearly not too keen on the idea of unrestricted worship.

[Hmm. I'm gonna go ahead and give Manato another 2 points of Dragon Experience, since one could quite possibly argue that this is the Great Curse talking here.]

Asuna nods gravely to Kessi, "And I do so very much appreciate it. Who knew a weapons manufactory could be filled with such dangerous things?"

She glances back to Fel, "I like the way you think. Let's put a pin in the sex machine, because you never know. He's doing a simply wonderful job so far, but of course he must, or risk being seen to have lost this proxy battle in our familial rivalry for 'most debauched'. I can scarcely imagine the shame," she shakes her head in mock horror. "But I digress. Dye you say? Yes, and a different colour for each part because we don't know which has the leak, but where am I to find dye? If you were a self-righteous Anathema demagogue, what would your favourite colour be?" What does Jinlong desperately want to know? She is so confident the doors will be thrown open to her, why send not one but two Anathema spies to the city? What are they here to learn, and where are they looking for it? Think, Asuna. Or perhaps they are here not to learn anything, but to do something when the time comes.

She lifts a lock of her hair, so dark blue as to almost be black. "Black, perhaps?" she mutters quietly to herself, before casting it aside. "Maybe." She has a thing for collecting Dragonblooded. It plays nicely into the narrative she's building. If I were quietly arrested for treason, perhaps? It would have to be convincing, but my audience is uniquely predisposed to think ill of Satori. A return to form would be welcome.

[Is there anything Asuna can roll to try to use her supergenius intellect and nigh-peerless expertise in spycraft to guess what Jinlong's spies might be doing here? If not, Asuna apparently literally cannot give up on finding these spies nor defeating Jinlong, and has to go to incredibly convoluted lengths to succeed, so she'll get Satori to quietly arrest her for treason and leak different rumoured reasons to different groups she's worried might have spies. I know if I were an Anathema spy in the city I'd take the bait and at least be curious about whether the prisoner could be flipped.]

Last edited:
"You mean that I should turn my back on the order openly and alienate my friend in the process?" Manato returned with an unamused look on his face. "We might be able to negotiate an increase in worship or improve the quality of offerings, but what they ask I will not do. Even if many Immaculates spurn my self and my house, I'd be hurting friends and close family who've done nothing to deserve such blatant ignominy."

Manato gave a dismissive gesture. "If that's all that can be done, I see no point in spending more of your time. I will respect the desire for neutrality. I'd warn your friends in the court that Jinlong's not the only one with Daiklaves though. We all know how traitors are treated here."

[Pass, Manato will not betray friends and family to reward traitorous little gods.]

Last edited:
Asuna thinks back to every exam on the means and purposes of infiltration surreptitiously held while simultaneously making scintillating conversation at a party, every after action report on Threshold states destabilized and coups thwarted, nearly five centuries of accumulated treatises, manuals, and field guides from her ancestors and relatives, and her incisive study of reports from her family's assets in Kandara. From this admixture of precious Jade and so much useless detritus she pushes herself to distill the insight necessary to forestall whatever doom Jinlong's agents plan for the city and, more importantly, her Hearth. To divine from the slight ripples in the surface of the pond that is Kandara the passage and purpose of the invisible malevolent spirits concealed within.

Rolling Intelligence + Larceny with full excellency + WP
6m Larceny Excellency for 3 successes, 1 WP for 1 more.
Intelligence 5 + Larceny 5 + Specialty 1 + Stunt 2 = 13 dice; 5 hits + 4 for 9 successes total.

Last edited:
With Asuna...
There have been a number of occasions - both before and after the Empress's disappearance - when Anathema have tried to infiltrate hostile cities. The vast majority have been either Face-Stealers or Frenzied with a preference for subtlety, but Unclean and Deceivers have started to become more common lately. The Frenzied and Unclean generally work within the shadows, spying and assassinating unseen, while the Face-Stealers and Deceivers prefer to hide in plain sight, using seduction and manipulation to achieve their ends.

Whatever the case, if the Anathema in question is not looking to hide, survive or line their own pockets, they'll most likely try to subvert the existing leadership, especially if they're an ally, subordinate or hireling of another. Based upon this, Asuna first considers that Annika and Selket are here to kill those likely to cause problems for Jinlong, before reconsidering. After all, Manato has been making successful efforts to reverse the pro-Solar attitudes of the people, and so far no attempts have been made on his life, despite numerous opportunities. Based upon this, she concludes that Annika and Selket are simply trying to gather news and information for Jinlong, though they will no doubt aid her from behind the walls should she attack the city with her army.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back