• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Exalted 3E - Tale of a Falling Empire IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Those of you wishing to join the hunt for the speaker travel to the plaza where Larissa and Xandra first encountered him, accompanied by Sengon, Tahaki and Ulurro. With it being evening, a number of bars and coffee shops can be seen doing business, though the mortals there give you nothing more than cursory stares. The plaza meanwhile appears to be completely deserted.

Sherwood Sherwood , make a Perception + Investigation roll to Case Scene with Double 9's.

Larissa delves deep into herself in order to tap into her reserves of Essence, briefly closing her eyes as she does so to be able to fully focus on the scents coming in. She takes a deep breath, holding it for a moment before slowly releasing it. She then points with her hand, "That way. At least, to start with."

Total of 6 successes
Health Levels
-0 [ ]
-1 [ ][ ]
-2 [ ][ ]
-4 [ ]
I [ ]

Essence: 2
Personal: 13 / 9
Peripheral: 31 / 20
Committed: 11
Willpower: 6 / 5

Parry DV: 5
Dodge DV: 6 (+1 from Air Dragon Form)
Resolve: 2
Guile: 1

Join Battle: 6 + 3i

Soak
Natural: 2 (+2 from hearthstone)
Armored: 5
Total: 9
Hardness: 4

Armor and Weapons
Heavenly Typhoon Infinite Jade Chakram
Thrown:
Type: Light (+10 DMG, 3 OVW, Range: Medium)
Accuracy: +5 Close, +4 Short, +3 Medium
Melee:
Accuracy: +5, +10 DMG, 3 OVW

Midnight Thorn
Type: Light (+5 Soak, Hardness 4, Mobility Penalty −0)
Tags: Concealable
Hearthstone slot(s): 1

The direction Larissa points in takes the group into one of the city's less well-off neighbourhoods. With this being a residential area, it's mostly deserted at this time in the evening, and soon the group of Dragon-blooded find themselves turning their attention to one of its many small houses. Larissa's instincts and nose tell her that their target is almost certainly inside.

Xandra comes to a stop at Larissa's shoulder and asks, "How do you wish to work this? A sneak and peek, or a smash and grab? I can take point on kicking in the door, but that is hardly subtle."

"No need to break open a door. I can get through a lock easily enough." Manato adds, fishing through a coat pocket for his picks. "That is... if there's even a lock. Let's spread out in case we have a runner."

How big is this building? Is it a multi-floor structure? Can we guess how many rooms it has?

The streets are dimly lit, just enough for you all to get a general idea of what the building looks like. The whole house takes up much less space than the hall in Satori's palace, and is completely detached from any of its neighbours. It has two floors, and from the size, you can deduce that it has a general "living" room on the ground floor - used for both cooking, eating and lounging - as well as at least two bedrooms on the next floor up. Besides a possible basement, anything more is likely to be a stretch, or rather a squeeze.

Were he to examine the door, Manato will see that it has a somewhat robust metal lock, though any skilled thief would be able to pick it with the right tools (Difficulty 3).

Manato steps up to the lock, picks in hand, and closes his eyes to clear his thoughts. He probes with a gentle touch to construct a mental map of the locks interior. Each vibration up the thin rigid wires that formed his tools were as ripples on a pond sending a soft signal back to the Fire Aspect while he went about setting the tumblers as silently as he could manage.

Spending 5m for 2 successes and rerolling 6s until they stop appearing. See the excellency and Nimble Raiton's Fingers.

7 successes to open the lock quickly and quietly

Quietly moving through the door, Manato steps into a candlelit room that seems to serve as a kitchen, dining room and sitting area, judging by the table and chairs in the centre, and fireplace with cooking pot against one of the walls.

Kneeling in front of the fireplace, as if in meditation, is a bronze-skinned man with black hair and beard. Larissa, Xandra and Sengon will all recognize him as the man they heard in the plaza, wearing the same gold coloured wool kaftan he wore then.

Slowly, he turns his head around, until looking at Manato out of the corner of his eye. His eyebrow rises a little when he takes in the reinforced buff jacket.

"You don't dress in the style of a common thief." he says in calm High Realm, a slight southern accent within his voice. "I assume you have a reason for breaking into my house?"

Manato gives a slight grin at the accusation. He had not intended to move unseen, merely to avoid a panic. "You judge rightly so far. I am here because you're being placed under arrest for the charge of inciting rebellion. So long as you are willing to cooperate peacefully, I will see to it you get a fair hearing. If not, well... I can only persuade a certain degree of mercy out of my peers. So, what will it be? Up for a calm chat?" Manato lets his palm rest on Seething Drake's pommel. He projected a relaxed confidence with minimal arrogance. So far the culprit seemed content not to start a fight, after all.

"If you're as concerned for the future of Kandara as I suspect, I may even have news you might want to hear." Manato left his vague baiting hint to rest in the air while assessing the man's reaction.

Last edited:
Upon hearing Manato speak, Sengon, Tahaki and Ulurro opt to stay back and let him handle things, at least for the time being. The speaker meanwhile turns around on his knees to face Manato.

"We can certainly talk, if that is what you wish. Though I must confess, I didn't expect to encounter a Dynast who was this reasonable. Most of your kind have tried to murder me on sight, acting upon self-righteous and undeserved arrogance." he says affably. "For all the time I've spent trying to convince the people of Kandara to not believe the Immaculates' lies about the Celestial Exalted, I fear I've turned into a hypocrite of sorts."

He lets out a chuckle. "That said, I consider your accusation to be somewhat unfounded. Me and the rest of the Cult of the Illuminated are not trying to incite rebellion." he says. "We are simply paving the way for Jinlong, ensuring that there will be minimal bloodshed when she takes over this kingdom. As much as the people here have come to despise the Realm over the last five years, there were still many who believed in the Immaculate Order's falsehoods before we arrived. They thought that Dragon-blooded could not be held accountable, and that all Celestial Exalted were ruthless, inhuman monsters."

Some instinct tells the listening Dragon-blooded that Jinlong is the Anathema leading the golden army Kirito saw. The speaker meanwhile shakes his head unhappily. "It would have caused much unnecessary loss of life for the people of Kandara, and proven quite troublesome for Jinlong. One can hardly rule effectively whilst hated by those they govern, and in any case, she has no wish to spill Kandaran blood. But now, because of us, the citizens here will happily throw open the city gates when she and her army arrive."

The speaker then looks at Manato, his expression mildly expectant. "At present, I do not believe that Realm Kandara can survive for much longer. That said, I am curious about what you have to say, what news you have to give me..."

Manato erupted in laughter, clutching at his stomach from how amusing he found this situation. "Well you might see it as something so benign, but that is the very definition of a rebellion, of treason. You'd persuade the people to turn their state over to an invading army. As for Realm Kandara, I think you're mistaken. You see, this effort of yours has removed many obstacles for us. Not only has this awakened many Dragons from a drunken stupor of arrogant complacency, but it has given them a rallying cry that may leave the Realm far stronger than it ever was before. Even the Satrap has agreed to overwhelming relief and reform policies. Everyone here will be feeling a great burden lifted from their shoulders starting tomorrow. Until then, I'm content to leave you in suspense for the details."

Manato couldn't remove the smile from his face. This was by no means an easy struggle ahead, but it was gilded in the promise of a better future if they could make it to the other side victorious. He beckoned Sengon, Xandra, Larissa, and any other temple officials present to enter. "We've heard enough to confirm treason. It's time to see him incarcerated until he can be tried properly."

Asuna leans nonchalantly against the wall of the building beside the back door, channeling her essence into the walls to follow the conversation. Chills run down her spine when the Anathema casually mentions surviving several Exalted attempts on his life. Don't die, Manato. This one isn't going quietly.

She holds her breath, becoming the silent stillness of the placid lake on a windless day. She listens. Does his heart race to see how badly outnumbered he is, or does he believe himself safe? Does his breath hitch? Does she hear the telltale sounds of muscles clenching, tendons tightening, cloth rustling, or steel being drawn that might indicate an imminent attack or attempted flight? Will he smash through walls, vault into the sky, dissolve into mist, or explode into violence?

Read Intentions on the missionary. If he doesn't know I'm here (I can roll Stealth if necessary) I think that's -2 to his Guile.

4m for 2 successes. 5m Deep Listening Palm for the scene.
Perception 2 + Socialize 5 + Stunt 2 = 9 dice; 10 successes

Avoidance Kata in 3... 2... what were we talking about again?

Last edited:
Larissa gives the man a poisonous glare. "Are you going to resist, or will you come with us peacefully? I would avoid bloodshed if at all possible."

Sengon follows after Larissa, the speaker raising a wary eyebrow upon recognizing the monk. He displays no such signs of recognition for Larissa, but considering she was disguised at the plaza, this might not be too surprising.

Listening in on the conversation, Asuna can make out the man's muscles and tendons relaxing, as well as his heartbeat and breath pattern. Both of these are calm, much too calm to be those of a man who has either resigned himself to his fate, or decided to go along with the arrest in the hope of using it to his advantage later on. Instead, she deduces that he is planning to resist arrest, should anyone try to get physical with him.

For the moment though, the man seems content to stay put, but also rises to his feet, doing so slowly as if trying to appear nonthreatening. When he next speaks, he does so in a voice loud enough to be heard by those still outside the house.

"You delude yourself." he says to Manato, ignoring Larissa for the moment. "Jinlong, her companions and her army will be here far too soon for you to reverse five years' worth of Satori's misrule. There is nothing you can do to keep the Realm's yoke on Kandara. Any attempts you make will not only be wasted effort, it will be wasted effort in the service of the now collapsing Scarlet Empire."

[The speaker is making an attempt to Instill a Minor Tie of Realm (Doubt) within everyone listening. He has Charisma 4 + Presence 4, and can bring his target number down to 4, but will suffer a -3 penalty for trying to Influence multiple targets. I didn't know that penalties are subtracted from the dice pool when I rolled, so that's only 2 successes (disregarding the last 3 dice).]

Manato replies to the speaker's claim with a smug grin. The dynast's voice indicated he was both unimpressed and unsurprised by the upstart's assertion. "You can think that if you'd like. I've little left that needs doing to arrange Jinlong's defeat. Fortunate that your cult has you calling them Exalted. A link that I'd wager you've been far too committed to for you to back out of now. Your own words will cast all the doubt and resentment of Satori onto Jinlong by association. By the end of the week, the people will see little difference between the two other than the lack of bestial monsters at Satori's side. Hah!"

With folded arms, he speaks in an increasingly condescending tone. "No, I think the only delusion here is for one who thinks that centuries can be undone in years, yet years can't be undone in days. When there is no more pain, there is no more passion for your coup. You've overplayed your hand, and now it will cost Jinlong and many other Anathema their lives. Thanks for helping me wake people up to do what I needed them to. This little crisis of yours has been most useful. I'm sure five years from now, everyone will be grateful for how much better things are for her sacrifice to the greater good of the Realm. Though I don't think her name will come to mind by then."

Manato watched for signs of physical retaliation as he spoke, waiting, anxious to draw Seething Drake. He stepped back to make way for Sengon, Larissa, and the others to approach and make the arrest. All the better to resist his urge to strike this man down where he stood. Having to give such a scathing rebuke to this man left Manato's own temper ignited. It's people like this that lead our friends and kin to slaughter by those self-righteous devils... Still, I'd rather their sacrifice be repaid by justice, not savagery...

[Manato retaliates by attempting to instill Doubt(Celestial Exalts) in this man. After stunt pool is 10, assuming 2 more dice for appearance and adding 1 success for 2 motes. 8 total successes.]

With a smirk, Larissa says, "If that is the best you can do, you and yours will surely fall to the righteous cause of the Immaculate Order." She produces a set of manacles and says, "Put your hands behind your back and don't move. Xandra, if he tries anything, take his head."
Base Resolve is a 2, plus the Major Principle of support of the Immaculate Order gives me a 5 to resist the efforts of the man to instill doubt in her.

Asuna dismisses his argument out of hand. It is both expected and uninspired. He's not even trying. I think that's the most insulting part.

She whispers into the wind, and it carries her words softly to the ears of the entire Hearth. "He wants to debate as long as you'll let him, but the moment you touch him the knives are coming out. I sense no fear at all at the prospect of fighting all of you. He isn't looking forward to it, but he doesn't believe he's in any danger. Watch yourselves. Something is wrong here."

Manato's claim does appear to get through the speaker, who frowns a little before shrugging his shoulders.

"We'll see about that then, won't we?" he says.

[The speaker has a Resolve of 4, and no Intimacies he can draw on to support himself. As a result, he gains a Minor Tie of Doubt (Celestial Exalts).]

Sengon approaches the speaker alongside Larissa, no doubt wanting to offer a bit of support to her. Before they can get close enough however, the speaker suddenly raises his arms as if preparing to do a dramatic clap, and a caste mark appears on his forehead. It's unlike any known to the group; blue light forming a circle and an attached cross below.

"Sorry to disappoint. But the fall of Satori's regime has been ordained by fate itself!" declares the speaker, before he claps his hands and vanishes in a sudden flash of blue light.

Something strange then happens to all of your memories. All of you remember encountering the speaker within this house, or at least hearing him talk. But all of you also remember hearing rumours that he'd left the city earlier today, with Asuna distinctly recalling members of her spy network informing her that the speaker had been seen leaving through the city gates early in the evening. Whatever the case, the speaker is no longer here.

Larissa takes a deep sniff, then shakes her head. "He was here, that much I am certain of. With the lead he has on us, I doubt that we will be able to track him down before I lose his scent. But since he was here, he may have left something of value behind. Give me a bit to do some searching for any correspondence that might have the names of his collaborators, or some other important clues."

At this point, the woman begins to methodically search the place, looking for anything of interest.

Going to go ahead and spend 5m on my Investigation Excellency to give me a total of 16 dice for my search.

Only 4 successes.

Asuna blinks several times in shock before carefully scanning her surroundings for threats. Where there's one mind altering illusion there may be more. Finding none, she tries to piece together the convoluted mess that are her memories. Was this a thing Anathema did, now? Dragons, it was terrifying. How could you fight someone if you couldn't trust your own memories, let alone your senses?

It was likely her memories of hearing the preacher had left earlier today were new. She would not have come to this house had she previously believed he was no longer in the city. Unless she had come to look for clues in his absence? But why create false memories of having found him here? Merely for a half-hearted attempt to demoralize them before vanishing? To send the message that he could? If her memory of his early departure were false, he could still be here - though that has its own disturbing implications for enemy knowledge of her network. She listens carefully for any sound out of place, but hears nothing. Because he's so peerlessly skilled at hiding his presence, or because he isn't here at all? Ugh. Anathema.

Asuna rubs her temples and sighs. She can feel a terrible headache coming on. She steps inside and picks her way carefully to the front room, mindful of potential traps. She materializes from the shadows and speaks with that same quiet whisper that seems to suffuse the room, "So, is that, um, is that a thing Anathema do, then?"

Edit: Pass

Last edited:
Memories and reality clashed together, broke, then rewove themselves within moments. Manato looked at his hand and its white-knuckled grip on the Daiklave as if he was just ready to fight. But why? The speaker was never here yet he was heard. The dynasts themselves were dressed for a fight, yet part of him could have sworn that he had already left. The memories of both words exchanged and his absence still abided in conflict within his mind like festering cancer. He groaned from pain lancing through his head while trying to sort it all out. Something about what he remembered was false, something must have changed. Changed in a way that made him sick at his stomach. "What kind of being can just... mess with us like this. Whatever happened, this has been wholly and abominably unnatural." He turned to Larissa who was intent to search the place and nodded. "Ah, that sounds like a wise call. Whatever rids us of the kind of monsters that can do whatever the hells he just did is worth considering."

[Manato reinforces his resolve to fight with a minor tie of disgust to Anathema.]

Despite her best efforts, Larissa is unable to find anything that could shed new light on the speaker, or the Cult of the Illuminated. If such things exist, they're not hidden here.

Elsewhere, Sengon answers Asuna's question. "No. As far as I know, there's never been any record of an Anathema doing something like this. Not when the Immaculate Order was at its full peak, nor when Anathema started appearing in greater numbers."

"I haven't dealt with anything like this on any of my hunts." adds Tahaki.

Sengon sighs, clearly considering this whole thing to have been a bust. "If there's nothing else to be done here, we should head back to the palace, and let Satori know what's happened." he says. "Then we should plan what do next. I have a grim feeling that we haven't seen the last of that speaker..."

Assuming that there are no complaints, I'm going to be "borrowing" Random Word's Holding rule, simply because I think it's a great idea.
In an effort to reduce deadlock and keep the game flowing, I'll ask that you put either Hold or Pass at the end of any post. Hold indicates you have more you want to accomplish in a scene and don't want events to move forward yet. If you don't have time to write a post or don't have anything your character wants to accomplish or establish in the scene, a post with nothing but Hold (to be filled in later) or Pass is fine. If no one has a Hold on their last post, or everyone has an explicit Pass, I'll assume it's safe to move on to the next major event or scene. If I have a Hold in a post it indicates something narratively significant is still going to happen this scene, so leaving now may cause you to be absent for something important.

In this scene, for example, I'm going to say Pass, but if any of you want to do anything else in this area before heading back to the palace, just say Hold.

Xandra stands there, looking around in irritation. She was looking forward to being able to carve up some Anathema, and the lack of any challenge here is disappointing. She continues to stand watch, keeping an eye up and down the street to see if they are about to get some unexpected company while Larissa searches the rooms.

Xandra sees nothing to suggest an imminent attack from the streets. After a few seconds, Tahaki approaches her.

"If it's any consolation, we'll no doubt be seeing more of that Anathema over the next few days." he says, the scarred outcaste having guessed the reason for Xandra's irritation. "If Manato's campaign has the potential to change the minds of the people here, he'll have to take an active role in trying to prevent that."

He turns and gives her a little grin, as if trying to suggest the two of you could be friends one day.

[Tahaki is attempting to Instill a Minor Tie of Anti-Anathema Camaraderie in Xandra, directed towards himself. He has Charisma 3 and Presence 3. 4 successes.]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back