• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Exalted 3E - Tale of a Falling Empire IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
With Manato...
"Well met King Al-Sakhawi. I'm not as familiar with local affairs as I'd like but I assume the Alkirsan is your ship is it not? It's a good sign for an Alqayid to have pride in his crew and station. I'm sure they are honored to serve." The Dynast responded in High Realm with the exception of his last statements in Flametongue.
Al-Sakhawi gives a shake of his head, but continues to smile. "My flagship is the Raging Fire Upon The Water. The Alkirsan are my people. We are respected and feared pirates on the inland seas south of Kandara!" he says, giving a chuckle as if to indicate that he thinks nothing of Manato's mistake.

===

Mabuka is accomplished at giving little away, but Manato is the same when it comes to gleaning insights from observing minute details. Then again, the Nellens man might not be making much effort at the moment. Whatever the case, Manato deduces that Mabuka is simply trying to get on his good side here, presumably in anticipation of upcoming business negotiations.

"Well, I'm always up for making a good deal, and establishing new business relationships." says Mabuka, giving the other Dynast a friendly smile. "But for the moment though, I'm content to wait and see what you have planned for this meeting, Manato."

"As am I." says Al-Sakhawi. Neither of the two appears to have been particularly won over, and Manato gets the impression that they're used to such tactics from people trying to get things from them.

[Mabuka has Guile 4, and doesn't attempt to contest the Read Intentions roll. For the instill roll, Manato takes a 3 dice penalty due to trying to influence more than one person, bringing his successes down to 7, while Mabuka and Al-Sakhawi have Resolve 4 and 5 respectively, the pirate having somewhat of a stubborn streak. In addition, both of them have Major Intimacies that they can use to boost their Resolves by 3; Mabuka resists with a little bit of Essence usage, while Al-Sakhawi has no need of such things.]

Manato chuckles at being corrected. Even an independent Dynast has enough constraints on his time to make keeping track of various Threshold actors quite troublesome. Seeing such a reserved front to his inquiry was a bit disappointing though. Their loss. Perhaps it was time to change up his approach. He'd been rather dismissive of the resistance he might come against. Harun certainly seemed willing to keep these two as close acquaintances. Now he had to better assess his situation and respond accordingly.

If only it was as simple as reminding these people how totally and unequivocally fucked they were out here without the legions but It couldn't be ruled out that either one could be the type to welcome an Anathema overlord. Even the Dragons can be seduced by their siren call, their blighted light. Dragons themselves were a terrible sight to behold when absorbed in little but themself. How much more so when their new glowing god grew bored with them? Would there even be enough of them left to see the danger by then?

To his knowledge, little prevented Al-Sakhawi from going his own way if the Realm began to fall back. However, one who calls himself king may seethe at the notion of kneeling to an upstart warlord personally lording over him. Especially one that could obviously squash him if he had the mind to. It could also not be discounted that some of this chaos presents profitable opportunities to pillage unchallenged by bothersome oversight. Still, how long would that be suffered by new management? Even he had to realize there are still boundaries and rules to the game.

Mabuka was also a wild card. He was a Dynast by name, sure. A lot of work goes into earning that privilege, even if it's among the lowest seats of the lowest tier. That kind of tenacity makes for a dangerous opponent. With luck, that tenacity will resist the wiles of any demon maddened by the corrupted essence of the sun or moon. A desperate act to hold on to the life he sweat and bled for over many years.

Just as he'd done with Satori, it was time to get these people to chase his support. It was not a stretch to say that they needed to show they deserved it. They won't fully accept it now, but they will when they hear what's marching this way. Still, this was a much riskier operation than the last. He knew little of these actors and they were not willing to give him any more ammunition than he already had. He might not be able to beat them over the head with visions of death now, but he can certainly remind them of his power to walk away.

"Details will be forthcoming at the meeting, of course, but here's what I can tell you." Manato began the show of his trust with his face growing solemn. The stance of one about to deliver an expected but grave report. He'd hope to soften their final response at the meeting by letting worry and expectation both whittle away at their stubbornness while having them face the reality of the present. "The Threshold's financial prospects for the future have been exceedingly bleak for some time. Recent developments in this region have only deepened these concerns in myself and other prospective investors. The risks are a hundredfold what they once were even as a conservative estimate. Unrest is rampant, security is absent, and the number of individuals who'd ride the wave of change to our collective downfall has grown. As much as I'd like to expand operations out here, I can't justify it as things are. I'd rather not have to witness my friends and family experience unpleasant and undeserved setbacks up close either." Manato gestures first to Al-Sakhawi and Mabuka, then to Harun as he spoke.

He let his last statement settle for a moment before following up. "Though, it's certainly been a scenic vacation thus far. I'd have liked to plant some roots. Build a local supply with new drinks and delicacies. Certainly have the soil for it out here and in the surrounding areas. I could even share the savings from bothersome shipping hazards and enjoy the seaside access. It's just really depressing to think I might have to do it somewhere else. Yet, I've been asked to reconsider my decision of moving on to other pastures. The depth of their commitment to improving prospects is what moved me to call for this meeting. If enough people of means are willing to show that they can control these risks, I may be persuaded to spend more coin with Kandara and it's neighbors. Others may even follow suit. The last thing anyone wants is to miss a prime opportunity or lose good customers. We'll just have to see what happens."

With Fel...
Kessi nods. "I'll tell you once you're all set up inside Emerald Chevalier."

She takes her leave after having said that, a pair of mortal assistants entering the chamber a few minutes later. They direct Fel to stand with them on a small square on the floor, which turns out to be the top of a stone pillar. With a great rumbling sound, it rises up until Fel and the two assistants are stood level with the warstrider's fuselage entryway, allowing all three of them to get inside and begin strapping Fel in. Looking around, Fel will find that the part of the harness mechanism that corresponds to the upper body is the traditional assortment of leather straps. The part that corresponds to the lower body however resembles a set of leg braces made from moonsilver, and is completely rigid. Presumably it's been set up this way to allow a biped to operate the quadruped warstrider.

Both the assistants are experts at their craft, and within ten minutes, Fel has been strapped into Emerald Chevalier. Were he to attune to the warstrider, he would feel as if each of his legs had suddenly split in half down their length, two of the resulting limbs going in front of him, two behind him. And while he can't move his physical legs much within the confines of the moonsilver harness, he can send neural commands to the legs of Emerald Chevalier.

"Hey Fel. It's Kessi. Can you hear me?"

The savant's voice sounds as though its speaker is currently within the fuselage next to Fel. Closer inspection however will reveal the voice's source to be a dark blue hearthstone Fel recognizes as a Jewel of Whispers, bolted securely into a panel in front of him.

With Fel...
Kessi nods. "I'll tell you once you're all set up inside Emerald Chevalier."

She takes her leave after having said that, a pair of mortal assistants entering the chamber a few minutes later. They direct Fel to stand with them on a small square on the floor, which turns out to be the top of a stone pillar. With a great rumbling sound, it rises up until Fel and the two assistants are stood level with the warstrider's fuselage entryway, allowing all three of them to get inside and begin strapping Fel in. Looking around, Fel will find that the part of the harness mechanism that corresponds to the upper body is the traditional assortment of leather straps. The part that corresponds to the lower body however resembles a set of leg braces made from moonsilver, and is completely rigid. Presumably it's been set up this way to allow a biped to operate the quadruped warstrider.

Both the assistants are experts at their craft, and within ten minutes, Fel has been strapped into Emerald Chevalier. Were he to attune to the warstrider, he would feel as if each of his legs had suddenly split in half down their length, two of the resulting limbs going in front of him, two behind him. And while he can't move his physical legs much within the confines of the moonsilver harness, he can send neural commands to the legs of Emerald Chevalier.

"Hey Fel. It's Kessi. Can you hear me?"

The savant's voice sounds as though its speaker is currently within the fuselage next to Fel. Closer inspection however will reveal the voice's source to be a dark blue hearthstone Fel recognizes as a Jewel of Whispers, bolted securely into a panel in front of him.

As the assistants strapped in his body, Fel took the time to familiarize himself with the fuselage. When they were finished, he took his greater Hearthstone and plugged it into the drive core. Immediately there was a very low hum as essence fed into the Warstrider, powering the once innert machine. But that didn't mean it was on yet. That came with attunement.

With but a thought, he expanded his awareness into the warstrider, and the slack in the straps began to tighten, forcing his body into a general stance the warstrider was in. He was tied in place, but he could stop that if he wanted to. But no, now was the time to synchronize with the machine and attune to it.

Not but a minute into the synchronization he let out an audible gasp. The sensation that traveled up his legs, it was not painful but was it quite jarring. The feeling of growing a new pair of legs reminded him enough of Wyld Mutations that he looked down to check and make sure his legs were actually there. Yes, they were. It was just his senses beginning to merge with the machines. And while he knew he wouldn't fall over, it added to the odd feeling that he could feel his center of mass starting to shift. Or more accurately, he was feeling where the center of mass of the warstrider was. Moonsilver was a good material for this, for something that needed the flexibility and precision as the legs.

However, the moonsliver braces didn't seem meant to move. It made sense, but it would take a little getting used to having rely on phantom sensations rather than kinetic input. The rest of his body, at least, wasn't going to move yet. Even with this comparatively small tension on the leather harness, he could feel the great weight of the body they were connected to. A surreally macabre thought that a failure in the system could have him quartered in a heartbeat if the safeties didn't release.

Not that he had any anxiety about this. Aside from the legs, everything was going as expected and as he trained for. Except... except that voice.

"Kessi?" He asked. Lioking around the cockpit expecting to see her before his eyes found the Hearthstone. "Ah, there you are. Jewel of Whispers. Quite the creative addition. If only we could get that standard on every warstrider."

"I'm strapped in and beginning attunement. Is something going on?" He asked.

With Larissa...
Sengon nods. "I most certainly would." he replies. "If you and your companions get yourselves ready, I'll meet you at the entrance to the palace grounds. I'll try and gather a few allies of my own beforehand; I have a feeling we'll need all the backup we can get..."

With Asuna...
Satori lets Asuna squeeze her hand, and from the way she looks at the Water Aspect, she's clearly fallen for her. Asuna doesn't get the impression that her station has made her particularly lonely, but she does deduce that her fellow Dynast enjoys the company of other Dragon-blooded more than she does that of mortals.

The Earth Aspect then chuckles at Asuna's remark about the knives. "I don't use such things in bed, if you get what I mean..." she says. She clearly uses them elsewhere though, no doubt for more nefarious purposes, but the Water Aspect can't tell how much she enjoys such things.

[Asuna discovers that Satori has a Major Principle of "I much prefer the company of fellow Dragon-blooded", and raises the intensity of her Affection Tie to Major. Her second Read Intentions fails, however.]

Last edited:
With Manato...
Al-Sakhawi and Mabuka both listen as Manato speaks. They remain impassive, suggesting that they don't think Manato's departure would affect them catastrophically, but they also appear interested in what he might have to offer, or at least the warning he's giving them.

"You consider the situation here to be that bleak?" Mabuka asks politely while looking at Manato, trying to see if the Fire Aspect either knows something he doesn't, or is just bluffing. "I don't know if I'd say that myself. Yes, the reduced Realm presence in the last few years has affected things in this region too much to ignore. But I've found that there's still a profit to be made here for those with the mind and resources for it."

[Mabuka is making a Read Intentions action on Manato regarding the intent behind the Fire Aspect's words. Eight base dice as per his previous roll, but also spending 4m to gain 4 excellency dice. He gets 7 successes.]

With Fel...
"No. Just checking in on you." Kessi replies. "That hearthstone you see there is only half of a Jewel of Whispers. About three months ago, I devised a method of splitting a hearthstone in half without completely destroying it, or removing its abilities. I've got the other half with me right now. It can't be attuned to anymore, but as you're no doubt realizing, it's got a completely different use."

"So anyway, want to take her out for a spin once you're finished attuning?"

[I think given what was said, it is fair that he should be able to sense a sincere concern for the personal safety of Realm scions in the Threshold and the Minor Tie Concern for the future of the Empire. Also probable that he can deduce that whatever it is Manato knows is the reason for the meeting.]

Manato was genuinely in awe of how unaware these Exalts appeared to be about the direction society was being pulled in. It must be awfully comfortable to be that oblivious. After all, how does one miss the fact that we're consistently losing ground and still decide to retreat? Whoever or whatever was running the cult surely would bring that information to the forefront of everyone's mind. Or perhaps that was projection on Manato's part. It is what he would do in their place at least.

"How could I not? Look around you, Mabuka. There's a very distinct pattern in all of the most noteworthy events in all of the Threshold. One that has not gone unnoticed even by the most humble of people. Yet for now, there are still some opportunities to be had if one has the courage and tenacity to see it through."

Manato inhales some smoke from his pipe and sinks more into a relaxed state. "I will concede, my chosen industry shapes my perception. It usually takes considerable time to cultivate profit from investment. You will be able to see for yourself in the meeting though. For now I should go and ensure that all the preparations are in order." With a respectful nod, the Fire Aspect would excuse himself to verify that the space was prepared for the announcement and that there was proper drink on hand to soften the news everyone was about to hear.

I really misjudged this place and it's Satrap. I owe Satori more credit than I gave her. I must sound like a madman to all these people and yet she chose to invite me in and listened to what I had to say. I hope she remains an ally in the seasons to come, it's only right I repay her trust in all of us.

[I should have given Manato a Positive Tie before for Satori committing to the plan. Regardless this scene makes her seem better in comparison to her peers, thereby reinforcing it. So I may as well add it now.]

With Manato...
Al-Sakhawi and Mabuka both listen as Manato speaks. They remain impassive, suggesting that they don't think Manato's departure would affect them catastrophically, but they also appear interested in what he might have to offer, or at least the warning he's giving them.

"You consider the situation here to be that bleak?" Mabuka asks politely while looking at Manato, trying to see if the Fire Aspect either knows something he doesn't, or is just bluffing. "I don't know if I'd say that myself. Yes, the reduced Realm presence in the last few years has affected things in this region too much to ignore. But I've found that there's still a profit to be made here for those with the mind and resources for it."

[Mabuka is making a Read Intentions action on Manato regarding the intent behind the Fire Aspect's words. Eight base dice as per his previous roll, but also spending 4m to gain 4 excellency dice. He gets 7 successes.]

With Fel...
"No. Just checking in on you." Kessi replies. "That hearthstone you see there is only half of a Jewel of Whispers. About three months ago, I devised a method of splitting a hearthstone in half without completely destroying it, or removing its abilities. I've got the other half with me right now. It can't be attuned to anymore, but as you're no doubt realizing, it's got a completely different use."

"So anyway, want to take her out for a spin once you're finished attuning?"

"Clever girl." He said when she explained the Hearthstone being there. Discovering a process like that could bring about a lot of interesting applications. He had not even heard about such a technique from First Age manuscripts. He would have to learn more about this, for his own knowledge if she felt like giving up a trade secret.

"Do I want to? Yes. Should I? No. No we can not afford to let the Emerald Chevalier be seen yet. With the enemy forces a week out, we can expect them to have scouts in the region, plus with the unrest in Kandara, it is safe to expect there are spies and sympathizers who might send word to the Anathema if they learn of such an asset."

"Any spinning done will need to be either in the warstrider bay or in the tunnels unless we get clearance from Asuna and Kirito."

It was a regretful thing to say. His attunement had only begun and he could already feel the urge to do just that. As if the warstrider itself was eager to do as it was meant to and run. To stretch its legs after so many years. All in good time, all in good time.

Fel smiled to himself, "So Emerald Chevalier is a she, huh?"

Ah, joy of the craft, then. Yes, I understand that, she thinks to herself as she savours the way Satori looks at her. We paint in the same medium, you and I - and what a beautiful canvas you are - you simply prefer to paint in pain and fear while I am partial to love and desire, but it would be foolish not to make use of the full palette. She loses herself in admiring Satori's face for a moment. As beautiful as it was, this painting was incomplete, missing one final touch. Her instructors would not be satisfied with an incomplete work and so neither could she. There was no hook to keep Satori coming back, to say nothing of how intoxicating it was to see desire in those arresting eyes.

She notices with chagrin that she's spent so much time admiring her handiwork she's failed to actually pay any attention to the subtle cues comprising the real answer to her question. She winces internally at the expected punishment for such a significant failing. Relax. You aren't in school anymore.

Asuna blushes slightly, "Oh! My apologies. You're an artist. I understand. My cousin is the same." She downs the last of her wine glass and sets it aside. "I said I wanted to learn more about you, and here I've taken so much of your precious time and spent almost all of it talking about myself. You didn't even hesitate when you learned the Anathema were coming; you were going to stay. I was impressed. May I ask why? Pride in your work? Duty to your family? A - perhaps unjustly unreciprocated - love for the people of Kandara?"

------ [Regardless of her answer, so as not to drag this scene out when there are several new ones ready to start]

She listens with rapt attention to Satori's answer, "Thank you. It helps to inform my operational planning to know what you value. What not to sacrifice when the time comes. Ah, but those are such melancholy parting thoughts."

Political seduction was one of her personal favourite seminars. Don't overstay your welcome. Give them just a taste and leave them wanting more. To be direct is to invite suspicion - wherever possible entice with the innocuous or accidental.

A happy thought seems to occur to her suddenly, "I didn't have a chance to properly thank you this morning. Thank you so much for the outdoor bath adjoining my suite." She gives Satori a brilliant smile and allows her genuinely heartfelt gratitude to show through. She closes her eyes, casting her mind back to this morning, her smile widening. "I adore the feeling of water against my skin," she says with a contented sigh as she lightly traces the path of one of the droplets running down the curve of her waist with one fingertip of her free hand. She seems to lose herself in the memory as her finger traces along the line of her hip; she shivers and ever so slightly her lips part, her back arches, and her muscles tense. Just as she looks like she might be about to moan softly her finger pulls away as if burned, her eyes snap open, and she blushes furiously - that had taken a year to learn how to do on command, but it was worth every minute - , mortified that one too many glasses of wine might have let slip an entirely inappropriate detail of how she enjoys unwinding when immersed in her element.

She releases Satori's hand and all but jumps out of her seat. "I should let you return to your gala - I'm sure a great many people wish to speak with you tonight. Thank you again for taking the time to see me. You know where to find me, of course, if I can be of service, and I hope we can speak again?" she asks, clearly uncertain but hopeful.

Read Intentions for any Intimacies related to why she wants to defend Kandara.

Per 2 + Soc 5 + Stunt 2 = 9; 4 hits

Leveraging Major Tie of Affection for -2 Resolve to Instill a Minor Tie of Lust in Satori - it's not often Asuna gets to sculpt with clay this beautiful and she can't help herself. It's a good thing Satori doesn't want to practice her art on Asuna.

App 5 + Soc 5 + App Bonus 1 + Stunt 2 = 13; 5 hits.

Last edited:
With Sengon's agreement to join in the effort, Larissa will go around and try and locate the various other members of the Circle to tell them the need to eliminate this mouthpiece of the Solars.

"I can track him down for the next day and a half, but the sooner we move on this, the better. I strongly suspect that there are Exalts with him, and that is assuming that he may be one of the Anathema himself. I can hold my own in a fight, but any backup I can get will be greatly welcome."

Random Word Random Word Psychie Psychie D. Rex D. Rex Rykon Rykon jaydude jaydude

Larissa would find Xandra pouring over maps, muttering to herself about the lack of time to prep defenses and to build up enough of a defending military to fight back. She looks up as the other woman enters and stretches. "Ah. I see you have found me. I am trying to come up with some kind of plan to win this fight, but it doesn't look good. I wish we had some more time. What can I do for you?"

She listens quietly as Larissa describes her concerns, then cracks her knuckles. "Having a good fight might be just the distraction I need right now. Sure. Count me in."

With Sengon's agreement to join in the effort, Larissa will go around and try and locate the various other members of the Circle to tell them the need to eliminate this mouthpiece of the Solars.

"I can track him down for the next day and a half, but the sooner we move on this, the better. I strongly suspect that there are Exalts with him, and that is assuming that he may be one of the Anathema himself. I can hold my own in a fight, but any backup I can get will be greatly welcome."

Random Word Random Word Psychie Psychie D. Rex D. Rex Rykon Rykon jaydude jaydude
Manato has begun preparing the space to present the news to their guests and hopefully win Exalted warriors and powerful armies to their cause. At the moment, several members of his staff were bringing in casks, and setting a table. The fire aspect himself sat with his leg propped up in his lap, tuning an ornate wooden guitar still in gleaming condition despite signs of frequent use.

"Hmm... I've got this conference to run, then I have made some promises I made to enjoy the vacation with Asuna after this. However, you're right, getting this taken care of sooner rather than later is critical to getting things back on track here." Manato leans forward and rests his chin on his hand, pondering his options.

"I won't have much strength left for a difficult fight after this. Leaving your hunt a man down because of that isn't appealing either... Can you give me about four or five hours to settle things here, keep my promise, and hopefully have enough reserves of power to properly fight? I don't want to miss it nor hold you back. Who knows, I might even be able to talk the miscreant into surrendering peacefully." Manato sat back up with a wide grin spread across his face. "All the preparation for a proper debate may finally pay off."

Last edited:
With Fel...
"Sea captains often refer to their ships with female pronouns. Figured I might as well do the same with this warstrider." Kessi replies, Fel getting the distinct impression that she's shrugging her shoulders on the other end. "I mean, my team and I have spent so much time restoring her, she's practically become my most loyal companion. Not that I don't mind sharing her, of course." she teases.

"Anyway, you've got a point about not letting the Anathema catch sight of her. You should be fine taking her for a spin within the tunnels though." she adds. "Also, I sent word to the Ledaal Council about what's happening here while you were getting strapped in. They replied back saying that they'll lend us what support they can, but most of the assets they're able to spare on the Threshold are currently around Jiara, helping Mnemon deal with the Anathema there. Still, they do have a few Dynasts in the area that they can redirect to Kandara, who'll be able to help us out."

An exhalation of breath on the other end. "That said, they ordered me to tell you that if Kandara ends up falling to the Anathema, you're to take Emerald Chevalier and either escape with it or destroy it. Anathema taking power here would be bad enough, but them getting their hands on this warstrider would be worse."

With Asuna...
Satori lets out a little sigh. "I won't lie. Part of me does want to flee this place." she admits. "But I don't want to be remembered as the woman who lost Kandara. I'm not exactly accustomed to giving up."

[The Read Intentions reveals the following Major Principle: "I do not wish to suffer the dishonor of being driven from my post".]

The Earth Aspect can't help but blush a little at the sight of Asuna touching herself. "Nothing like the feel of warm water against bare flesh, is there? Except perhaps that of silk sheets." she says with a seductive whisper. "Farewell, Asuna. I hope we can speak again later."

[Satori now has a Minor Tie of Lust towards Asuna.]

With that, she stands up and departs, giving Asuna a smile that can only mean an invitation to visit her bedroom later on in the night.

With Manato...
Al-Sakhawi and Mabuka enter the room soon after Manato has finished setting things up for his conference, followed by Satori, Javald and Boroma. Presumably the latter three are here to find out how Manato's plans are likely to affect them and Kandara.

"So then, let's hear it." Al-Sakhawi says in a pleasant voice, him and Mabuka looking expectantly at Manato. "What is it you have to say?"

When Asuna sees the look Satori gives her a part of her finally relaxes, a familiar tension in her shoulders unwinds, the neuroticism calculatingly instilled in her by her instructors finally placated. Never sleep under the roof of someone you don't have leverage over. If you must trust someone, ensure they love you more than you love them. Discounting the Anathema and all the unknown players - if they haven't killed Satori already they likely can't kill her - Satori and Voruna are the most likely candidates to order an attempt on her life, and while she doubts she made a strong impression on Voruna she suspects Satori has him under her thumb. They weren't likely to try and kill her, but the cost to mitigate the risk was low and on this occasion oh so satisfying.

She really shouldn't go any further, professionally speaking. Satori would be disappointed when she left, but not heartbroken. She would proactively look out for Asuna's interests without being overly possessive or subjecting her to inconvenient scrutiny. Love and desire, wielded maliciously or carelessly, could destroy someone just as effectively as fear and pain. She liked Satori, and didn't want to do that to her. And yet. Asuna bites her lip as she savours that delicious smile with the pride of an artist who had just chiselled it out of the pristine marble Satori's skin so resembled, then admires the rest of her as she walks away. If she looks this good when she wants me, imagine how beautiful she would look if she needed me. Ugh, this is your fault, really. If you weren't so gorgeous I wouldn't be so tempted to do terrible things to you.

-----------

Asuna is in the middle of reaching for another glass of wine when one look at Larissa's face as she sweeps by convinces her this isn't going to be that kind of night. As Larissa gestures for her to follow she falls in behind her. As they arrive in the war room she smiles at Manato and Xandra before peering curiously at the maps, listening as Larissa outlines her plan for the evening and winking at Manato at the mention of vacations and the enjoyment thereof. "Ah, it's to be that sort of afterparty is it? I am perhaps underdressed for such an event, but it's impolite to keep death waiting. Whenever we're to depart grant me a few minutes to get changed and I'll meet you outside. I'll follow your instructions and try not to get in the way when violence is imminent," she says with an apologetic smile.

Last edited:
Moments prior to starting the conference, servants were instructed to procure drinks and refreshment from a supply Manato had brought for the trip. Glasses sat before each seat of the expected attendees already filled with rich and dark cherry wine.

The organizer himself stood distracted in song as people began to file in. His music filled the space even as the people began to arrive for the appointed time. However, Manato continued eyes closed, smiling, and none the wiser for their presence. His focus was completely surrendered to the passion of a good performance. Swaying motions to keep tempo nearly yielded to a dance of their own drawn forth by the rhythm of the strings and melody of his voice.

We're marching on, the morning calls us to distant shores, lands far away
Everyone knows who we are and what it costs to protect this earth from all of its foes

The words we sang, I wore like heavy armor, strong and stout we set out again
We hold the lines here warriors with the dragon's blood, our solemn charge, duty calls us

Our throats grow dry but we continue our march
Our bellies light but we continue our march
There's no quitting, no going back
We carry on for those who depend on our might

We're marching on, the morning calls us to distant shores, lands far away
Nobody knows all we do that keeps the devils dead and buried, still we fight on

Raise your shields on high and lift up your voice
Don't give up my brothers
Hold your ground, steady now

While we strive and strike on the front
Creation lives to see a brand new day

All of us Dragons, we roar from our hearts
With our steel held high, we raise our cry
All will hear, let them fear

No one breaks past the lines of our shields
Lift your hands and smite with the might of your soul

He felt his face flush slightly when he awoke from the trance of an indulgent performance. Manato held a hand to his mouth and cleared his throat. "I see everyone's now present. Let's get down to business without any further delay shall we?" He moved toward his seat and took a drink of the wine to wet his throat. What came next was liable to be the start of a long session of negotiation. He hoped his lyrics had moved what hearts these gilded serpents still had and save them all the rigors of extended deliberating. After draining the glass, he remained standing to address the crowd.

"As you all know, tensions among the general populace in this area are at an all-time high. As much as it may hurt to admit it, there are good reasons for that. We've suffered crippling defeats from Mask of Winters and Bull of the North. Anathema have been appearing in untold numbers while we've withdrawn the legions. We've even lost Jiara for that little act of wisdom. So, I regret to inform you today that we have to suffer one more link in the chain of calamity. Tepet Kirito, Kandara's own general, has witnessed a large force moving nearby."

If Kirito is present in the room, Manato motions for him to step forward and recount his testimony that he's given at least twice already. Better this crowd hear this from a first-person account. If the general is otherwise indisposed, Manato will recite the events to the best of his memory in as exacting detail as he can recall. Regardless of who presents the revelation, Manato resumes his speech on the floor where he left off.

"Now as you all just heard, we have a very bitter and harsh reality to face. A total of 15,000 hardened troops led by multiple Anathema march here as we speak. If we proceed as we are, Kandara is likely to fall after a siege beginning a week from now. Everything we've worked hard to cultivate here will either be burned up, torn apart, or salvaged to fuel an abominable war machine that will not stop here. If we allow another Anathema warlord to take root in the Threshold, what do you think the slaves and peasants will say, not just behind your back, but to your face?"

Manato summons the rage of his spirit and the festering anguish of loss to make his first major appeal. "Can we, the Dragons, the Princes of this Earth, really continue to crumble like stale bread in the face of adversity? Will our divinity cloak itself in cowardice and show all the Earth great weakness? NO!" Manato's fist slammed on the table with a sizzling crash. "It is our blood that holds the line of humanity! It is our blood that stopped the complete destruction of our world! It was our blood that set the world to order! It is by that power in all of us that man even draws breath!"

The fire aspect inhales deeply, grey smoke billows from his mouth in a calm exhaled sigh before speaking again. "I cannot bear the tales of one more catastrophic loss to blot our legacy, my friends. I know that I am but a concerned stranger in this land. However, there are many things outside the Isle I can appreciate." Manato gestures at his choices of attire and instrument, neither of which were common to the isle. "Trifling whims aside, I don't want to be remembered as the generation that had everything and lost it because we lacked the courage to hold onto it. I'm sure none of you do either."

"Now the plan for victory. We are blessed to have some of the finest strategic talent the Realm has to offer in our midst, as well as a potent but limited arsenal. We do lack numbers at present. I'd already sent for mercenaries before I heard this news. I ask each of you to contribute any standing forces, mercenaries, or other martial powers you have at your disposal." Manato stopped to take a long drag from his pipe. A break now and then let him both read the room and allow his words to settle.

"Now, I am not so foolish as to think I could ask any of you to sacrifice for nothing. Then again, some of you were quick to remind me that there's still good money to be made here did you not?" Manato donned a self-satisfied smirk. "What I propose is a long term alliance of a sort. Each party signs a mutual defense pact and preferential trade contracts for critical resources. This way, each of you has something to lose if you back out on your partners. You will also have the hope of safety when the next golden bastard and his pack of knuckle-dragging chuckleheads decide to attack."

"So in the absence of legions, what are you willing to offer for your own safety? For Kandara's part, jade here has been highly coveted for some time. It also has plenty of good land. Land I hope to use to grow food for all our benefit and enjoyment. Each of us has our own skills and industries of expertise to contribute. I'd also keep in mind, it is in each of your interests to give your neighbors good terms. How much more will they care for you if you care for them? How much harder will they fight for you if you fight for them? Not only that, you'd be a magnanimous paragon your Immaculate brethren would praise for decades to come."

Manato let the room settle long enough for everything to marinate in the minds of his audience before he went to close the sale. "So, are you willing to stand with Kandara against the tide for coin and kin? The defenders may be few in number now, but we are calling more troops here as we speak. Our greatest feats that we've ever accomplished as Exalts has always been together with our brothers and sisters in arms. We've but a few days to mount our defense, and no legion can make it here in so short a time even if one was sent. At this time, the politics of the Isle are akin to the murmurings of a faraway land. So, I urge you all to renew the bonds of kinship again. Trade with one another as we did decades past. Defend one another as we do ourselves. Resolve to become one alliance. With our combined might, cunning, and tenacity we can teach the Earth that Dragons still have teeth."

Manato's first order of business is to activate the Socialize Charm Sweeten the Tap Method as the provider of drinks here. This generates a minor positive intimacy to "fellow partygoers" to start with. The context of that intimacy is determined by each character's "player" though. Still, it should help.
Cost: 5m, 1wp; Mins: Socialize 3, Essence 2
Type: Simple
Keywords: Fire/Wood
Duration: One scene
Prerequisite Charms: Friend-to-All-Nations Attitude
Whether it’s freely flowing libations at a Dynastic salon or a ration of rum at a military encampment, alcohol improves moods and eases social friction. When the DragonBlood supplies drinks, she may use this Charm to heighten their potency and quality. Each character who partakes is treated as having a positive Minor Tie for his fellow partygoers — whose context, such as affection or camaraderie, is chosen by his player — and suffers -1 Guile.

However, sweetening the tap also increases the risk of fraying tempers or violent overreactions. If a character botches a social action, the positive Tie towards him created by this Charm inverts into a negative Tie for all inebriated partygoers who witnessed the offense.

Following that he makes a Performance-based Inspire action with a full Performance Excellency for 6m, the intended emotion is patriotic pride.
Pool is 14 + 3 auto = 13 Successes

Next is an Instill Action for the principle that "We must defend our legacy". Full Performance Excellency 4m
Pool is 13 + 2 auto = 9

Finally, the Persuade action to join a mutual trade and defense alliance to stand against the Anathema. Full Performance Excellency 4m
Pool is 13 + 2 auto = 11

Note the Performance excellency cancels the multiple target penalty for influence. These rolls assume an "average resolve" of 2, so adding 3 dice for appearance, deduct from the end as necessary. Also, note Resolve may vary as the intimacies and Inspired emotions take effect.

With Fel...
"Sea captains often refer to their ships with female pronouns. Figured I might as well do the same with this warstrider." Kessi replies, Fel getting the distinct impression that she's shrugging her shoulders on the other end. "I mean, my team and I have spent so much time restoring her, she's practically become my most loyal companion. Not that I don't mind sharing her, of course." she teases.

"Anyway, you've got a point about not letting the Anathema catch sight of her. You should be fine taking her for a spin within the tunnels though." she adds. "Also, I sent word to the Ledaal Council about what's happening here while you were getting strapped in. They replied back saying that they'll lend us what support they can, but most of the assets they're able to spare on the Threshold are currently around Jiara, helping Mnemon deal with the Anathema there. Still, they do have a few Dynasts in the area that they can redirect to Kandara, who'll be able to help us out."

An exhalation of breath on the other end. "That said, they ordered me to tell you that if Kandara ends up falling to the Anathema, you're to take Emerald Chevalier and either escape with it or destroy it. Anathema taking power here would be bad enough, but them getting their hands on this warstrider would be worse."

Fel smiled, "Then she must be a very special woman to have garnered your attention so. If I wasn't succumbing to the same allure, I might even be jealous. But... I think I have room in my heart to allow her to see others. After all... there are few prizes a warstrider would treasure more than one such as Savant Kessi. Seems I shall have to try that much harder to live up to the standards you set."

She already got ahold of them? "Good. That aid would help us incredibly right now. And they will be more reliable than those who are only here to party."

Then came the breath. He could already feel the coldness of bad news in it. The sort of sigh reserved for telling others things neither want to hear. And sure enough, such was the news.

As a pilot, he knew what she was saying. Already he had contemplated such thoughts. Flight or complete destruction was no strange concept. Keeping a weapon out of enemy hands was just as important as using it against the enemy. This was nothing that he needed to be told. Yet hearing it aloud still put a frosty lump in his stomach.

Fel moved his eyes to stare directly the jewel of whispers. "Understood." He said firmly. And yes, he did understand. He understood why the order was given.

Moreso, he understood why Kessi had used such a tone...

Warstrider Pilots were often said to gain incredible bravery from their bond with their machines. They were often said being in such powerful armors made them courageous. That anyone would be brave with that much power at their fingertips.

Yet such tales could not be further from the truth. It was not bravery that forced pilots to fight so hard, it was survival. For by the time it becomes known that a warstrider should retreat, it is often already too late. When the foe you face is one who is strong enough to fight such machines. It is a cage, you see, the warstrider. Once you are disabled, there is no escape. With the harnesses like the manacles that secure the prisoner within. With about five minutes it takes to free oneself, survival is slim. Most don't even have the luxury of trying.

Kessi. She knew what that was like. To be ripped out by an anathema. Her survival was a miracle. A tragic miracle, but a beating of the odds nonetheless. Fel could not imagine what that must have been like for her. She must know that the council is expecting him to share a similar fate.

"Kessi. Tonight. Remove all safeties around essence expenditure and the drive core. Disable the anima backwash restrictors. Disable the input and output essence chokes." Minor changes, But Kessi should know what all of them added up to. "When the core meltdown is initiated, I will see that it is fed properly." Yes. Crossing the streams of essence between the multiple sources while the system is overloaded... With himself as a catalyst, the chain reaction would be... catastrophic.

"Total Protonic Reversal." He said coldly. What magic materials not destroyed in the initial essence blast would beyond unrecognizable. The Emerald Chevalier would be... well there would be nothing left. Not to salvage, not even to learn from. The surroundings... they would not fair much better. Fel would need to make sure his friends were far away. Nothing around him would be safe.

"And should Kandara fall... we can not let this facility fall into their hands either. They may not be able to build one here, but any plans and blueprints will need to be destroyed or taken with you when you flee the city."

Sherwood Sherwood jaydude jaydude
Would Larissa be able to find Fel given that he is in the secret underground mecha facility?

Last edited:
Would Larissa be able to find Fel given that he is in the secret underground mecha facility?
I honestly don't think so, unless she would be informed of his location and/or guided there. Perhaps she can get a message to him? My comment was more to make sure that everyone that wanted in on the raid on the rabble rouser is able to join.

Wind Carried Words can tell Fel where to meet us. Or we just send a good old fashioned messenger. Presumably someone knows where you are. Regardless, if you want to be there, you can be there, even if you just stumble across us by chance.

[Edit: Oops, thought this was the OOC thread. Oh well.]

Introducing fact.

The self destruction of a warstrider is no mean feat. The amount of things that need to happen make it far from a standard feature, and keeps it from having the viability as a potent weapon of war. To the point that it has happened so infrequently that it often not considered a factor and generally considered something to avoid.. Attempts to replicate the resulting explosion outside of Warstriders have ended in failure.

The greatest barrier of the self destruction is the sheer cost of sacrifice. After detonation the warstrider will beyond recovery of all but the most dedicated and masterful Solar craftsman, for no piece of the machine will remain intact. The machinery and materials will be made unusable, with mundane materials being completely vaporized and magical materials broken and scattered across the blast zone. To lose a warstrider so completely is a sacrifice not many are willing to make.

A secondary cost to the sacrifice is that of a living being meant to add and manipulate the essence to begin amd maintain the chain reaction. Their life is, needless to say, forfeited. The complication arises that the living being needs to Savant level knowledge of a warstriders inner workings, or an experienced pilot having been shown how to do so by a Savant. The wasting of a Savant or suitably trained pilot is not a cost to be taken lightly by many.

The return for the cost is dramatic, at the least. With an explosion that delivers damage up to long range and shockwaves felt out to extreme range affecting enemies and allies alike. Collateral damage to buildings and surroundings is a given.

(Pulling numbers out of rear end, so pardon an lack of balance and change accordingly since I don't really have any idea how I would roll this. Not clue if it is too low or too high given the cost. Keep in mind this part is just an idea and nothing set in stone, and I put from more knowledgeable players is... well I'm stupid, so yeah.)

Pilot: Unavoidable Instant Death.

Close range: unblockable/undodgeable automatic aggravated damage equal to Warstriders Total Health levels.

Short Range: unblockable/undodgeable post soak lethal damage equal to Warstrider Total Health Levels.

Medium: Raw Lethal Damage equal to total warstrider health levels.

Long: Raw Lethal damage equal to warstrider health levels /2(rounded up)

Extreme: succeed difficulty 4 (Resistance or athletics?) Check or take minor bashing damage and knocked prone.

Lore Roll:
Int+Lore+Spc: 11
Excellency: 8mts for 4 automatic successes and double 9s.

Sux: 12

The news that there is an Anathema warlord on the approach comes as a shock to both Al-Sakhawi and Mabuka. They soon recover enough to show skepticism, as if hoping Manato's bluffing in an attempt to deceive them, but the way he speaks, along with Kirito's testimony about what he saw, seems enough to convince them. And while Al-Sakhawi is no Dynast, and Mabuka is a man who trusts in logic, not passion, the two of them can't help but be won over by his words (The wine doesn't hurt either).

[Both men are Inspired, and gain the Minor Principle "We must defend our legacy."]

Negotiations are heavy and involved, but eventually, Boroma, Al-Sakhawi and Mabuka all agree to a mutual defense pact and preferential trade contracts, as per Manato's proposal. Al-Sakhawi agrees to lend his ships and corsairs to the defense of Kandara, and Mabuka, being a merchant rather than a ruler or satrap, offers the use of his not inconsiderable amount of liquid assets (Resources 5) for the purchase of mercenaries, equipment and supplies.

Later that night...
Eventually, those Dynasts who will be heading into the city to hunt for the seditious speaker are gathered at the gates of Satori's palace grounds. A servant spotted Fel leaving with Kessi earlier, and while the true purpose of her compound is unknown to the general public, its location isn't, making it possible to get word to him about the upcoming hunt, if he wants to join it once he's finished attuning to Emerald Chevalier.

Ledaal Sengon, the Immaculate Monk, is also at the gates, along with the outcaste Tahaki and the noseless Thuebanese martial artist Fel saw on the lei tai podium earlier. The latter two have donned buff jackets in place of their gala attire, and Tahaki has a pair of black jade short daiklaves resembling wakizashi sheathed on his back. The Thuebanese man, who has introduced himself as Archpriest Ulurro, has a green jade serpent-sting staff wrapped loosely around his shoulder.

Manato arrived at the gate wearing a dark reinforced buff jacket with its hood down and Seething Drake sheathed at his hip. Darkened metal plates are sparsely distributed over his armor. While it was the heaviest set of armor he was comfortable in, he did like to keep stealth an option after all. His boots and gauntlets were mostly leather with some incorporated plates where it didn't hinder his range of movement much. Unlike many Dragon-Blooded warriors, the whole of his attire was certainly intended to draw as little attention as possible. Not much could be done for toning down a Daiklave though.

"Well, this is turning out to be a rather busy day," He said while yawning and stretching. "Better to get this over with sooner rather than later anyway. Any idea how far away the target is, Larissa?"

Sherwood Sherwood

Larissa arrives at the gate after spending some time meditating, setting herself into the right mindset for the work to be done this night. She is quite thankful to see the other Exalts there, ready to possibly go into harms way with her to stop this man from inciting more riots. She turns to Manato and says, "I am not sure, but I would bet that he's in the city itself, keeping nearby to the people he's trying to corrupt with his honey tongued poison. I will need to pick up his trail from the square where we last saw him. From there I can track him down to whatever hole he is hiding in."

Xandra arrives at the gate, wearing a cloak over her armor to make at least an attempt to conceal it from the casual observer. She gives everyone there a welcoming nod, then says, "Well, I'm ready to do some damage to these Anathema lovers. I almost hope that they resist."

Asuna sits quietly at the back of the chamber sipping the cherry wine - she's really had quite enough given what they're about to do, but a few more sips can't make things much worse - and smiles contentedly as she listens to Manato sing. She feels a swelling of pride as she listens to him speak, offering a toast with her half empty wine glass to a speech well crafted and better delivered and applauding visibly but quietly. Ugh, he's going to make a patriot out of me. How terribly passé. Certainly a seat in the Deliberative waiting for him should he choose to claim it.

She slips out at some point during the negotiations after satisfying her curiosity about these foreign dignitaries and returns to her suite. She makes a swift sequence of hand signs to her handmaidens, "I dance with shadow tonight. I wish to know the names of these Anathema. If you do not know, I will ask again every night, and should I be left without the answer when they reach the walls I shall be very disappointed. If we do not already have sources amongst the stream of disaffected peasants departing to join the Anathema, begin immediately." Some would be converted, some would be suborned, but any information was better than none. If she could not rely on her subordinates she would be left with little choice but to take the grave risk of investigating in person.

She stands in perfect silence as the servants extinguish all the lights except for a few small candles and arrange silk screens around her. By tradition no direct light may shine upon her during this ritual, and it must be conducted in complete silence. Very theatrical, but theatrics had power. It was an opportunity to meditate on the nature of shadow, and offer prayers to the many Gods and Goddesses of the night and the sort of acts one contemplates performing on this one.

With practiced ease they dress her in loose-fitting black silk cinched with the Belt of Shadow Walking - she had found it in her chambers after graduation and still had little idea who had given her such a precious gift but she treasured it all the same, rare as it was she had occasion to wear it; protective elbow-length gloves of black cloth-of-jade, cool and slightly moist to the touch with water drawn from the air; and a long hooded cloak of black silk embossed with a dark grey flame motif to break up her silhouette. Finally they present her with a satin lined onyx box from which she reverentially draws a shapeless black void of a mask, radiant in its absence, as the servants extinguish the last of the candles. Crafted of light-drinking stone mined from the depths of the Underworld it can flash-freeze unprotected flesh on contact. The inside of the mask is lined with blue jade to ward off the chill and protect her skin, the eyes covered by thaumaturgically treated black glass that makes the world shimmer with a monochromatic silvery light. Once donned her voluminous hood appears filled only with the absence of light.

In darkness and silence she slips out of her suite and makes her way to the front gate, materializing beside the others as wisps of shadow reluctantly relinquish her form. She smiles at Xandra's wish, her voice a soft whisper that seems to come from everywhere and nowhere, "The Dragons provide." Ah, this brings back memories. I haven't worn this since my last family reunion.

[Manato's Instill definitely beats Asuna's Resolve and she isn't going to spend WP, so I'll mark down that Minor Principle "We must defend our legacy." as well.]

Last edited:
The fire aspect felt his spirit rest easier once their professional shadow announced her arrival. Just one more to go. Someone did remember to tell the ranking member of the hunt we were getting one started, right? Manato began to wonder. He hadn't even seen the earnest heavy-armored hunter since the first meeting. Still, one doesn't break the unwritten code of ethics between sworn brothers for something as trivial as scheduling conflicts. He sent a message in good cheer adrift on the wind idly, "Hey Fel, my boy, not sure if you got the message but we've got a hunt in the works. We're waiting for ya by the palace gate so we can get started. Things have been goin pretty great so far, but we're gonna have to cheat this hand for every ace we can snag. We'll need ya here for this operation too. Pretty sure we'd be violating some ancient mandate or somethin if ya missed it. I dunno, some people just can't appreciate a good vigilante manhunt these days." D. Rex D. Rex

Returning his focus to the conversation at hand, Manato seemed to have a troubling line of thought. "Ya know, that got me thinkin Xandra... What if he doesn't? You and Larissa are the only ones among us that have any sort of profile on this insurrectionist. Anything about him stand out to either of you? I get he's probably a veteran at mouthin off to monks and turnin people away from the faith by now." Not that impressive a feat in this day and age, all things considered. "Any of you mind if we pursue this matter in terms of treason charges instead of heresy? It seems like a petty difference now, I know, but it might make a difference when word inevitably spreads of his arrest... or execution for resisting arrest. It's gonna take a while to mend the bridge between the people and the temple. It'd be nice if we had the liberty to work on it without settin it on fire first."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back