• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Exalted 3E Solars of the Sky - IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
"Not every servant," Xilanada says, softly echoing the Zenith's words. The warmth of the other woman's hands on her shoulders is reminder as well as comfort, though. "But then, there's more to life than safety. There's purpose. There's destiny. And, I suppose, there's the common good."

The Twilight Caste frowns to herself, for her face remains concealed from Lioness. "Bind something ordinary and the world scarcely notices its loss. But bind something that is, by nature, extraordinary, and Creation is...if not diminished by the lack, not enhanced as it otherwise would be. What's bound may feel safer, indeed actually be safer, but safety is only one of the qualities of a well-lived life and likely not the most important. It's just as well that bindings come to an end eventually."

"Unless of course what's bound is a nightmarish monster wishing to turn this world into a cage made of brass," she adds with a chuckle. "That sort, you might as well bind to a task with no end so they're never free to inflict misery on anyone or anything."

"Destiny attends to itself," Lioness says and puts her other hand on Xilanada's other shoulder. The act of massaging the other is not so much a conscious one as it's part of a pattern and something to occupy her hands so that her mind can wander, "and the common good can rarely be judged ahead of time."

She says nothing for a while after that, the silence stretching out between them, even as her hands hold them together. "Is a cage made of gold any better than one of brass, though?" She asks eventually.

"The makers of the cage are," Xilanada says, turning at last to face the warmth and light at her back. She gives ground, though, stepping back to lean against one of the private room's ornately carved walls, next to a heavy purple curtain for the window. "Those who favor that brass made this world theirs and all they wish is to make it like it was; for them. At least the Solar Exalted were made to save this world for the people here. Which doesn't mean we don't make mistakes...obviously..."

And with that, horrific flashes of men and women flash before Xilanada's eyes. Faces she'd grown to know over most of a year, eyes lifted to her in reverence, eyes glazed in death at that final terrible time. The shorter blonde woman shakes her head, eyes suddenly squeezing tight, shaking away a memory that wouldn't yield.

"Obviously," she says, clinging to speech like an airship sailor might cling to a rope to spare themselves from falling to their death. "But is there a real alternative? Tepet Kian knew nothing of leading people and hundreds flocked to him with but the merest token of effort on his part. Because there was a need. The Realm's accomplishments are falling apart, Lioness. And nothing that I can see is rising in its wake. People have never been more vulnerable, have never been easier prey. As we've seen ourselves, haven't we, in our past months on the Righteous Indignation."

Xilanada shakes her head once more, and blonde locks fall before her face, shadowing it as she lowers her gaze to the floor. "Maybe destiny will attend to itself. I'd love nothing more than to tend to my books and unlock every secret of arcane power for the sake of discovery, Lioness. But history has rarely been the result of the powerful withholding their power. In our absence, others will and what they do will probably make life in Creation worse for everyone."

At last, she lifts her eyes back to Lioness' face. But this time she says nothing. Simply looks intently at the other woman, whatever else she might have said lost as she looks into the Zeniths' eyes.

"Whoever made us did so in a different time and for a different purpose," Lioness says, her hands now free of Xilanada's shoulders falling to her sides. "I care little for what the gods thought millennia ago. I am not the same as the first person to carry this... this Exaltation, and Creation is not the same as it was then. The people of the Haslanti League have never known the protection of the Realm, or the protection of the Solar Exalted. They have that freedom, and lack that safety. Are they better off for it?"

She reaches up to tuck a stray lock from Xilanada's hair back behind her ear. "Do you really think you could learn all you need to about sorcery from books alone? Even if you had all the books ever written on sorcery, it's only a fraction of what there is to know about it. You have to figure out the rest for yourself. Out there, in the real world with the real people."

The Twilight sighs, privately touched by Lioness' consideration in arranging the long locks of blonde she was still getting used to.

"If what Vetter Tae says is true, no, the League isn't better off for it. But then, some of their disadvantage comes from the only Solar empire I've ever heard of so..." She nods once to the Zenith, a concession on that point. Then a grim smile lightens the frown lines around her mouth. "I've never been that good with people, you know. Not when I thought I knew what I was doing and certainly not now that I know I don't. You've helped me with that. I don't ever remember saying so but I'm grateful, for the service you've given me so far and for being here."

"I don't know what I'd do without you." The words were meant to be light, affectionate, even playful. The weight in her soft blue eyes tells a different story, though.

Something flickers across Lioness's face at that, and behind her dark brown eyes, she thinks of the same question in reverse. What she would do without Xilanada, without her debt. Would she go home, to her family, to Icehome? She'd been away for so long, her only communication in messages and letters laboriously written and laboriously read. What would she do? She couldn't live with her parents, they were more alien to her than this woman who was at once from a time out of mind and a Dynast of the Scarlet Realm. Would she want to leave for somewhere else? To fight the Bull of the North who threatened her country? She has so many questions for herself, but the issue is not so much finding answers to them as it is figuring out which are the ones that truly matter.

Rather than share her inner turmoil, she smiles, taking the compliment for what it was meant to be and says "I'm sure you'd find a way, you've lived two long lives without me after all."

Axtis opens the door to the restaurant that has the delicious smells of roast beef and spices coming from inside and motions for her two companions to join her. As they enter, she takes in the room with a measured gaze to see if there are any potential trouble spots to worry about. Even in such a city as Lawless, there are some that will take issue to having a Solar nearby. "Lets have a seat here."

Griffon heads down the street, knowing that Axtis is probably going to be looking for a good, hot meal after so long eating ship food. With her keen eye, she spots the other woman with Varrick and Stalking Tiger heading into a restaurant. Just as I thought. Time to share some info. She hurries along to catch up.

Stalking Tiger stops for a moment as he senses a hurried movement towards them and make a quick glance to source of it than he relaxes as he follows Axtis to inside. He choose a seat that is closer to one of walls leaving as few people at his back as possible and at the same time he can see as many as people as well as door in his sight. This kind of positioning also called 'gambler seating' in Nexus where a high take gambler usually takes this position to not get back-stabbed or shot from back.

Varrick didn't think much of his placement on the table, just taking whatever seat was available. The tense atmosphere was however starting to get on his nerves.
"So Tiger, since you've been sneaking around, did you get any insight on why everyone looks so tense ?"

When Griffon manages to arrive, she slides into the next open chair and settles in. "I was talking to one of my business associates here, and he was telling me that if we wanted a good cargo idea to bring into Lawless, we should load up on food! Even basic stuff like grains are in short supply around here! Terrance was telling me that the tribes outside of the city are causing problems."

Axtis raises an eyebrow at that. "Food? That's . . . Well, I don't know what that is, other than a bad scene all together. What kind of trouble is going on out with the tribes? From what I remember, they haven't been at each other's throats before bad enough to disrupt simple food trade into the city. I wonder what is going on between them to cause all this turmoil." With that, she grabs her mug of stout and takes a deep drink. "Thanks for the info, Griffon. Anyone else hear any rumors? I was a bit busy with getting the needed supplies for the Righteous Indignation to worry about getting the latest in town news."

"Besides," Lioness adds when the faint buzzing of Immaterial wings inform her that Charles has joined them once more, "you'd hardly be alone. I'll go see if the others are here yet," she adds and turns around to leave, at once thankful and regretful that their conversation was cut short.

Stalking Tiger is likely the first of the crew to spot their crewmate exiting one of the private rooms in the back of the establishment. Though her striking, athletic looks and excessively long braid make her easy to recognize, Lioness looks very little like the woman they have known for the past two months as an easy going woman on her time off, and a dedicated warrior when fighting was needful. Now she is dressed in a distinctly impractical dress of fine orange wool embroidered with patterns of bright red and her gait is more like a courtier's than a killer's. She spots the party immediately and closes the distance swiftly.

"On the subject of food," she interjects, "Xilanada has booked a private room for us, and the staff should be serving their finest before long if you'd like to join us."

Silent tiger grew up in a brothel he would know a trained girl once he saw one. Despite he flt Lioness had a certain charm before he thought it was because her understanding of martial arts. However seeing her dressed and act like that he understood where was the difference. He didn't say anything but only stand up from his seat and nod towards Lioness. He than answered Varrick's question. "I was busy with something personal so no I didn't get any gist of what could be the problem but Griffon's info gave me some ideas. However my speculation would be too dangerous to out spoke in here." He walks towards Lioness. Silent Tiger was average height before part of the reason was he was keeping a bend knee and leaned forward appearance. His heavy cloak would help him to give a more wider and shorter image of himself however now he was standing at his full height next to Lioness. He was looking like a more slender and tree like existence now. He only showed this stance twice before once towards Axtis when she first hired him, second time was when he first met with Griffon and realized he was a better street urchin than himself. Now this was third time he showed this stance which does not hide any of his features anymore. He had somewhat respect for Lioness but he decided to not reveal his true form before he find out the source of it. Now it was revealed that he was sensing a similar background as Sweet Lily from Lioness, his only childhood friend that grew up with him in the brothel. He also shows this form first time to Varrick as he finally accepts his respect for crafter.

Vetter approaches Lioness briefly as the crew files in and whispers, "I got a tip I need to attend to. I'll be back. I thought I'd meet you all on the ship, but if the Lady's goin to all this trouble, I'll return here. Hopefully, good news, but I doubt it..." He admits with a sour look on his face. With a quick flick of his coat, and turn of the hood he'd step out into the cold streets of Lawless.

Once the crew is tucked away in their private rooms within the Lower Pelt, a full cadre of servants silently sweeps in, food carts in tow. Ordinary rooms might have premium service staff to serve the meal, but the nature of the reservation demands they exit as timidly as they entered. Carts of covered platters now line the sides of the dining room waiting for the Exalts of the crew to help themselves to various northern dining staples.

Griffon, Lioness, Xilanada, and others apprised of the economic situation notice a distinct shortage of produce among the selection in favor of fish, freshly hunted meats, and dairy.

Axtis takes a seat at the table and begins to work on the food placed in front of them. As she eats, she listens to the stories of the shortages of the supplies in town and how the tribes are making trouble. Axtis shakes her head. "That is unusual. I wonder just what kind of supplies that the city is in need of. The Righteous Indignation is a good ship, but she's built more for speed, not as much hauling cargo. It would have to be something small in volume but valuable enough to make the trip worth while for us all." She takes a big drink before going on. "There are . . . other options available to us, of course. We could relocate and find a new territory to call home. Or, we could intervene. With the ship, we have a powerful asset that could sway a fight. Also, there are a number of Exalts gathered here. Between us, we can make a huge difference if we were to place ourselves in a position to make use of it. That route is one that will most likely bring less in the way of profit, but sometimes you just have to do the right thing and money be damned."

"Suddenly, I kind of feel guilty for this meal."
Varrick's mind was already going through the calculations on what it would take to feed the local population. The numbers were not looking good. Calming down the brewing fight was their best bet if they wanted to help.
"Supply runs aren't gonna cut it here. I think we're gonna need to figure out who to pacify the tribes."

Griffon leans back in her seat, eyeing the others. "As much as I hate to miss on an opportunity to gain some profit, I have to agree. There is something causing the tribes to act up, and it would be best for all the people here to put them at ease again. I hazard a thought that whatever secret is out there that's behind this is no match for this band of Exalts to figure out and put a stop to. I just don't know where to start. I'm a city girl, not one for the wilds."

"So boss lady I was going to ask a more permanent contract rather than our current one. How about I lend some hand in this tribe matters and maybe you guys would like to get some fresh river air after all of this stuff solved and while at it help me with some personal matters in Nexus." Stalking Tiger started to eat it would be rude to one who prepared meal and more so if the situation was as bad as they were talking about. He was not stranger to hunger as he grew up in slums of Nexus but first thing he learned about survival was everyone needs to take care of themselves or those close to them. While he was in jungle under his master guidance this fact didn't change and up in here north where cold can cut into skin and freeze a person to death same rule seems to be applied.

However his companions were not mere mortals a fact he still can't wrap his head around. He knew his masters were extraordinary but what were the limits? He never knew. One thing he was sure that he was sharing what his masters and the ones currently in the room had as well. Dragonblooded were calling them anathema but he heard some other words like exalted and lunar from his masters and from the ones he is sharing with table he heard about solars. He was curious about what this group can do in the situation they are in just how are the limits of a group of so called solars are?

When the Solars arrived in the private room at the Lower Pelt, Xilanada waited for them, standing in the back of the room and greeting each with a friendly smile and a gesture to a chair. She let them seat themselves before directing the servants who brought in the food carts with their covered platters, and the servers received smiles as well for their discreet and quiet performance of their duties. Only once the room is secure, and Xilanada makes a point of checking the windows for the slightest crack just in case, does she join them.

Sherwood Sherwood
The Twilight slowly shakes her head, though whether it's their Dawn Captain's remarks she disagrees with or the whole situation isn't necessarily clear. Thankfully, her own reply clears it up. "I have a local contact who should be back no later than tonight, he'll have more useful information for us. That said, you're right, we could profit in food trade though the limits of the Righteous Indignation's cargo mean we may not turn that much of a profit. Alternatively, we could investigate what's causing these food shortages. And perhaps cut a deal with some of the cartels and consortiums that profit from the food trade. Say, a 15% cut of their profits less expenses. We can only haul so much but all of them can move and sell quite a bit more. And that leaves us free for other more exciting ventures, no?"

"Lawless isn't exactly my choice of city, mind you, but the location is unquestionably convenient for at least one of us. We might as well do what we can to keep it a useful port of call for us all."

Midboss Midboss
"On the contrary," Xilanada says, waving a dismissive hand in Varrick's direction to dismiss his concerns. "We're paying a fine premium for this meal, those who work here will be in a better position than they were before to buy what they need. But if you're concerned about people having enough to eat..." The Twilight frowns slightly. "Then we consider intervening in this Haslanti business."

"Agreed, we need to deal with these tribes."

Psychie Psychie
Griffon's remarks draw another approving nod from the blonde woman. "We could start with the Haslanti. We have an airship. We could reach Icehome without much difficulty, no? I'll admit, I'm not an expert on Haslanti customs but what I do know is that their food supply is tenuous, based on 'emeralds' of fertile soil in the tundra. It sounds like they're trying to claim more of them, including those held by the Bull of the North. That...could make things very complicated for us, depending on how we want to handle this conflict. I'm in favor of us taking a trip northward to check it out, though. So long as we don't commit ourselves until we fully understand the situation, and the consequences of what commitment might mean."

Vetter walks back into the room half an hour into dining, dropping his hood and removing his coat at the door. With a quick step, he'd slide into an available seat nearest to him and eyed the room to see if they were ready for the news he bore. Once it seemed like he had the attention of the crew he began to elaborate on what he had learned.

"No doubt Lady Xilanada and Lioness have elaborated on the open war between tribes for those unaware. I have more that I don't want hitting the open streets here so listen carefully and keep it to this room while you're in town... The reason the Haslanti are pushing into Ice Walker territory for food is that the most bountiful emeralds have been cast into shadowlands 40 some odd days ago. The shortage is sufficient to threaten mass starvation of the League if they can't procure new sources of food. The Bull has had his sorceress beguile a Great Roc and her brood. The airboats of the League are in for a rough time..." Vetter paused to chomp down on a cut of venison.

"Fae have been spotted marching east by my agents baring weapons of war and singing songs of a stand in desperation with grim looks on even the nobles' faces, yet none have been reported by either side the tribal front. There's also a pirate cropped up west of here moving east. I can't get a name other than the airboat he sails, called the Brass Revelation. Everything I've heard screams cult on a boat, and they take no prisoners. Last report had him on the north side of the sea along the coast." After washing down half a side of deer with flask of the local brew, he added one last thing.

"To top this all off... I learned more about the champion. He's fighting tonight in the shark pit for the first time in a couple weeks... in the execution slot. Word has it the Cappa's reserved twelve great bull sharks for this match. I had no idea, but apparently this whole time he'd been in for killing the son of Cappa Noshe." Vetter was about to dive into more of the food, but paused, assuming he lost someone in the torrent of secrets. "I do realize this is quite a lot going on, so plot your course carefully. Let me know if I can be of further assistance."

Axtis ponders for a moment. "I don't suppose that anyone here knows a quick way to reverse and close up a shadowland, do you?"

Lioness's manner of eating is neither the careless shoveling down of food associated with soldiers who care only that they're fed, but neither is it the genteel and delicate careful manners of courtiers and courtesans. Rather, she eats with with care and moderation, picking the choicest portions and savoring each piece carefully and meticulously, balancing her meal and making sure to sample all the different dishes without gorging herself on anything.

She listens attentively to the others' discussion and Vetter's laying out of all the things going on in the world around them, but does not react meaningfully to any of them until he mentions the shark-fighting champion. At this she raises an eyebrow and looks at man intently. Someone who might take on twelve grown sharks must be more than a mere mortal. Perhaps they are not the only Exalts in Lawless at this time. That line of conversation, however, is one she feels can wait until the others have had time to think on the bigger picture. She will go where she is asked in that regard, it matters little to her which nation triumphs over which state.

Xilanada is able to remember that short of the highest tiers of Sorcery, all that can be done is extensive geomantic plumbing of the Shadowlands essence lines to flush the traces of death from the land. Given that each night surges more and more death into the aura of the place itself, any such process is bound to be measured in years or decades depending on the size and activity within the underworld.

Many methods exist to surge life through the lines, should that be a course you pursue. Solar and Wood aspects tend to be the preferred means of restoring an area and will almost always result in a demesne by nature of the force required to repel the shadows.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back