• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Exalted 3E Solars of the Sky - IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Wars and politics meant little to Lioness. As a mortal, she'd been part of a crew that readily traded with all sides of conflicts, and now as an Exalt she stood beyond them in a different manner. She felt no loyalty to either side, and was quite content to let Xilanada, Captain Axtis, and whoever else had a head for such matter pick which side if any they would support. Still, the information was important, as was understanding if Vetter was telling all he knew and why he emphasized the things he did.

She catches Xilanada's twitching arm out of the corner of her eye. Anyone else would probably have been hard pressed to understand the implications, but she saw it in an instant. Tepet Kian moved his arm just like that, and Xilanada very decidedly did not. Lioness still wasn't sure how that made her feel. She knew the attraction was still there, in her own way, Xilanada might even feel it more strongly than Tepet Kian had. She put that line of thinking out of her mind quickly. Figuring out just who and what and why the woman sitting next to her was made her head spin. In the end, Xilanada kept her hand to herself because she didn't see Lioness as her possession, even though she accepted as fact that Lioness legally was. Someday soon, the Zenith thought to her self, they needed to figure out how and when this arrangement would end, and where they would both be left afterwards.

She leaves the sack of coins and jade on the floor between her legs for now. She'll distribute the more valuable pieces in her clothes later, the moonsilver-woven silken armour making that task rather easier than it would have been those far-away months ago when she was mortal.

It would be a lie to say that Lioness has anywhere near Xilanada's training in table manners, but she has natural grace and enough time spent around people who like projecting wealth that she knows her way around a few sets of forks. Plenty for the Lower Pelt, certainly. When her fellow Solar rises to leave, she sees through the shield of her smile easily enough, the things she wants, the things she hopes, and the things she has decided to do. The conversation they need to have might be becoming more urgent by the minute.

To Vetter, of course, she shows none of this, merely lets a smile play across her face as she grabs the last piece of deer with her slender fingers and says "so, what do you do for fun in this place?" and takes a rather unlady-like bite of venison.

Vetter pauses to carefully consider the question, Is anything actually fun anymore, I wonder? "Usually...? Well, there's the many comforts afforded here... then there are the gambling dens. I rather enjoy seeing some poor sap who crossed the Capas get tossed to the sharks too but, there's only so many of those a season, eh? Very few have the balls to willingly go toe to fin with the bull sharks, but those that do have taken the tension out of the sport with how easily they play with their opponents. You might enjoy such a thing though if you hadn't seen it before. Sometimes though, hitting the streets makes for a good thrill I'd say. Secret wars between Capas tend to leave many corpses though. What about you? Interested in the shark pits? Or... perhaps you see someone you fancy among the people here? They don't call it a brothel for the soup after all."

"People willingly fight sharks? In the water?" Lioness asks, clearly far more interested in that particular activity than whoring or gambling. "That sounds pretty damned stupid. Challenging, though," she adds with something of a smirk. "Tell me more, as I don't think we'll be making a trip to Icehome and be back before our evening meeting."

Vetter grins devilishly, "I see we've found something new for you then. Well, the shark fighters are no slouches for sure. Excellent swimmers they are, but there are platforms for them to dive from or leap to. Everyday folk aren't nearly fit enough to make good use of the ring you see. Some tend to play a bit smarter, using their spears and cleavers to draw their own blood and bait them within killing range. The current champion of the pit, he makes it seem so easy. I never knew a man could muster the strength or stamina to leap in and out of the water so many times. Last I saw, he took out 6 at once! Even a Dragon-Blooded fighter only managed 4 before losing too much blood to continue. Sadly, he's been withheld from fighting until they can breed more sharks!" Vetter adds with a mirthful guffaw. "Perhaps you'll find a good show if you decide to go though."

"Ah, so not all the time in the water." Lioness says, nodding in understanding. "That does sound like something to see. And your champion sounds like someone to meet. Who is this man of such skill and renown? And when's the next fight?" She asks, her crooked smile coming back in full force.

Vetter takes a pull from a flask in his coat, "The big ones are at midnight. Executions, when appropriate, are at 11:30. There just so happens to be one this very night. As for the champ, I haven't really been keepin tabs on him. I'll ask around before our meeting to see if we can find him. We should have plenty of time if you want to join us for the show after the meeting."

Lioness plays idly with the end of her long braid as she speaks. "I have no interest in watching people ripped apart, regardless of whether or not they deserved it. But the fight between man and beast? That's always interesting. I'd appreciate it if you could find this great champion," she adds, "though none of this tells me what to do now. It's only mid afternoon, and some of like to have more interesting things to do that lounge around in a bath."

Griffon looks at the fence in confusion. "Food?!? Are things getting that bad around here that a simple load of grains would be such a valuable cargo? What the hell is going on with the various tribes to make everything go to shit like this?" I definitely need to tell Captain Axtis what I'm hearing; assuming that she hasn't heard all of this herself. She takes the meager pile of coin for her sale and tucks them into various pockets for safekeeping. "Tell me everything you can. This is some serious shit."

Foxway
Terrance blinked, "Well I don't rightly know the details... just that we ain't seen a Haslanti ship in nearly a season. News from the far north suggests we won't be seein any for some time, but we still get traders up from the South. I reckon a Garrista with many eyes and ears could tell ya though! I'm sure ya can find a familiar face to point the way."

Overcity
Vetter paused, "You have a point. If sittin round here till then ain't your thing I reckon we could take a walk to find the man himself. I must admit I don't rightly know much about the fighters, so this could be interesting. Otherwise, I'm sure we could find a game or more regular fight pit to burn time." he offered.

"I never said sitting around wasn't my thing, just that doing nothing wasn't," Lioness corrects Vetter without admonition. "I'd be perfectly content with a few drinks and a few tales, perhaps an introduction to interesting people in this fine establishment." Her crooked smile cracks into a grin as she reaches into the bag between her feet, "I'm sure Xilanada is happy to buy the first round," she says and fixes the man with her deep, dark eyes.

I'd also like to get a read on him. Why is he continuing to humor Lioness after his benefactor has left? I'll spend 3m on Motive-Discerning Technique to Read Intentions with Wits+Soc with double 9s. Again assuming a rank 1 stunt, though ignore the last two dice if it isn't.

6 (5 if no stunt) sux.

Griffon sighs. So much for getting a lot of info for the Captain. "Ok, that's good to know. I'd better check in with the boss lady. Thanks for the coin and the info." She gathers up her stuff and heads for the door, planning on finding Axtis and letting her know what she's come across.

Terrance waves goodbye with a smile, stashing the ornamented dagger among other decorative baubles in his collection. Axtis can see Griffon approach just as she finishes the supply errands. Max the crewman and priest, goes about his own errands in the Foxway.

Lioness can tell that Vetter seems eager to distract himself from the paranoia of potential sabotage or a back-alley knifing. When things go too smoothly, as they have been, he seems to be on edge, as if waiting to be struck down for what he's achieved. She has learned his major tie of suspicion of the Capas. The prospect of drinking with an attractive guest certainly entices him. He responds with, "Well... I reckon I can't get too smashed with the meetin an' all, but a few hard drinks and old tales seems like my kind of evenin. What would you like to hear about first?"

Lioness waves a waitress over and orders drinks for herself and Vetter, tipping the girl generously with the riches brought forth Xilanada's summoning. "Why don't you tell me of your Warden," she says after the first taste of the place's beer, "is he something of a hands-on god, or does he leave most of it to his priests and followers?"

Once their supplies had been arranged, Varrick's stomach began rumbling. He had built a surprising appetite in the time.
"So boss, feel ready to eat our first meal that isn't rations in weeks ?"

Axtis nods in hearty agreement. "Damn straight I am! Lets find some good grub. I'm in the mood for some fried chicken and a cold mug of ale. Wrap that up with a bit of blueberry pie, and I'll be a happy girl. Lets go."

Stalking Tiger was still following Axtis and Varrick when he heard the rumbling of Varrick's stomach even from the distance he was keeping. He didn't need to read lips or hear what captain said next, it was obvious they are heading to grab some food and it reminded him that he didn't eat much either so he decided to approach captain and Bronze Hammer with a smile and removed hood of his heavy cloak. "Hi there boss lady and mister empty cauldron. I knew that grumbling sounded familiar. Were you heading to get some lunch perhaps and would you mind if I join you?"

"Buh!"
The jump from Varrick indicated that he had not noticed Stalking Tiger approaching.
"Don't sneak on people like that." He calmed down a bit after a few seconds. "I don't mind."

Axtis' hand goes to her sword in a flash, but she doesn't draw it. "Ak! Tiger, that is a good way to get yourself sliced up. Please don't sneak up on me again. I feel jumpy enough out here, with the tension in the city being thick enough to cut with a knife. C'mon, you two. Lets get a move on and get some food."

The Lower Pelt
Vetter spends a great deal of time telling stories of different thief-priests that enact the will of the Crooked Warden and that the Warden himself has not been seen in the memory of Lawless. Instead, he acts through the mentioned individuals who often take grandiose titles upon themselves in his service. Many honest folk are discouraged from his worship, those that do merely pray to be passed over for another mark, however. Recounting the tales of the more accomplished thieves lasts several hours as food and drink comes and goes from the table. Before long, the sun seems to be approaching the horizon in a golden orange field of sunset.

By now, Griffon is out and about, looking for any sign of the rest of the Exalts of the crew. She needs to share with them what she's learned from Terrance. Probably getting some food by now. I'll head to the nearest diner and look for them there.

Stalking Tiger continued to smile as he walked side by side with Captain Axtis. "Oh come on now both of you if my presence would be easy to detect I wouldn't be Stalking Tiger right? It is second nature to me besides even if boss lady with her hawk like eyes can't realize me being around than it means she spends her money on good talent isn't it? Which reminds me I would like to talk some business as well would be lunch a good time for it or would you prefer a more relaxed meal?"

Xilanada lounges in her hot springs-fed bath in a private room, redolent in bubble bath and scented candles. She could have had several women or men for company, of course, but the Twilight had spent two months cooped up in a ship with a crew she couldn't get away from. Silence is bliss. And she's here to relax from her tensions, not add to them. Entanglements, even the strictly commercial, just weren't the same for her any more.

Is the reason you haven't ridden her because you want her to ride you?

"And we're done," Xilanada says, rising from her bath as the dematerialized Agatae she'd affectionately named 'Charles, my Noble Steed' offers some uninvited commentary on her personal life.

If we just went flying, you'd smile more and brood less. Why aren't you ever happy, Mistress?

Uncomfortable with the erratic demon making a genuinely good observation, the Twilight Caste dresses once more in her concealing robes and draws her hood up as she exits into the common area of the Lower Pelt. Seeing that she's burned most of the day in utter luxury, there's still some hours yet to her night time meeting with Vetter Tae. Besides which, it was high time she connect with her Circlemates. Once the gangplank had touched down on firm soil, everyone (herself included) had scattered to the winds on their own errands. But hopefully having most of a day to themselves had been enough to satisfy the itch to see an unfamiliar face. It was time to think of their next steps.

"Charles, deliver a message to my friends, won't you? Inform them to come here to a private room I'm about to arrange, for dinner and to discuss our plans. I'll see to it there's a candelabra with five candles of different lengths in it, just for you since you've been so patient."

In the meantime, Xilanada books one of their suites for the officers of the Righteous Indignation, arranging for excellent dining service, privacy and she thoughtfully ensures the availability of half a dozen whores for her Solar companions once business is concluded (being the savvy negotiator that she is, Xilanada isn't paying for services not rendered but offers the Lower Pelt a reasonable 'retainer' to make sure that, once business is concluded, her friends aren't wanting for companionship options in case other customers come in the meantime).

And she makes certain the room has a candelabra with exactly five candles before adjusting their lengths so none are the same as the others. That will keep Charles preoccupied for hours. She rolls her eyes. Demons.

From the moment Xilanada sets foot in the common room again and starts getting things in order for the circle's meeting, Lioness keeps her in her peripheral vision. She's still engaged in her conversation with Vetter, of course, but honestly by now he's not really saying anything particularly surprising. Another story about mischief made and riches won is always enjoyable, of course, but it's hardly the kind of thing that requires her undivided attention. She smiles and laughs where appropriate, and when his current tale winds down, she excuses herself and rises from their table, mostly unaffected by the afternoon of drinking.

She enters the private room and closes the door behind her just as Xilanada lights the fifth candle on the candelabra and smiles softly at the gesture, recognizing it for what it is from their time before the Righteous Indignation. "Do you think he will be sad to go when his year and a day are up?" she asks, not quite knowing how much of the question is about the demon and how much is really about herself.

The Twilight is aware of the presence of her Zenith, much as the sunset always remembers the height of its glory in any fading day. Once upon a time, she would have put Lioness to use in making these arrangements while Tepet Kian indolently reclined with a book and his own distractions. Now, she keeps to their roles only when there are knowing eyes upon them and, seeing the other woman drinking and trading stories with the Garrista, it feels better to take care of matters herself. To pay her beautiful companion the courtesy of being a person and not an object for use.

Lioness was exceptionally perceptive, though. How transparent was this? How much of Xilanada's motives did the Zenith see? How could the Twilight even guess, when she hardly understood her own motives any more?

Once alone in the private room, Xilanada is only too happy to bask in the relative silence, knowing it will soon end as her rambunctious Circlemates turn up. She likes their energy, it distracts her from thinking about her problems. But the bath had been a wonderful moment of serenity and Xilanada clings to that peace for as long as it can last. Until Lioness is the first to enter, the first to speak. A light remark on the surface, but the weight of it hits the Solar hard in the heart.

"Charles very well may," she murmurs, not turning around as she watches the candle flame. "Like any servant, a Demon yearns for freedom. But a rare few, particularly the Agatae, grow fond of their mistress and choose to stay of their own accord. Will he, though? Impossible to know. At least it's his choice. Mistress though I am, and fond of him as I've grown, every binding has its time and there's little I can do about what comes after."

Lioness takes a step forward and places a hand on Xilanada's back where her shoulder meets her neck, and the Zenith's thumb seeks out any lingering knots of tension. "Not every servant," she says, again not quite sure how much of this is abstract and how much is personal, "servitude has a freedom of its own. It can be safer, and for some it's the only thing they've known."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back