• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Exalted 3e: Shadows of the Setting Sun (Closed)

WlfSamurai

Maelstrom Engineer
551F244B-2360-41CB-ADDD-DDE5F466AF06.jpegExalted 3e: Shadows of the Setting Sun

The North

This is the cold, savage frontier. This is the harshest, most alien clime in all of Creation. Here the alluring Winter Folk ride to the hunt on steeds whose hooves never break the snow-crust, driving mortal prey to fearful death on bog and heath. Renegade gods stalk among coastal ports and tundra-dwelling tribes, extorting worship with threats of violence or misfortune.

From the temperate southern coast’s pine scrub and prairie, the land grows ever more bitter as one travels northward. Outside of city walls and village palisades, untamed wilderness stretches beyond the horizon. Ghosts lure the living into trackless mires to steal their warmth and claim their company in death. Wolves and tigers haunt vast boreal forests beneath curtains of rain, fog, and snow. Whalers raise cairns to the spirits amid the scarlet sedges that drape the ocean’s edge.

Still farther north, beyond the deadly reefs of the White Sea, it’s said that neither people nor cities can find purchase, and yet there are both. Ships skate across lakes and rivers of ice amid an ocean of snow. Miners labor at the feet of miles-high impassable mountains, praying for riches. And in the uttermost North, beyond those peaks, earth and sky meet in the infinite frozen depths of the Pole of Air.

Game Information
  • Exalted, 3rd Edition
  • Officially printed material
    • ST (me) is open to unofficial material on a case-by-case basis
  • Setting: The North (to start)
  • Solars, Lunars, and Dragon-Blooded permitted
    • All characters will already know each other and are working together toward a goal we will determine as a group
  • Standard character creation rules
  • Character background
    • Please write a character background for your character
    • It can be as long or as short as you like
    • It should include:
      • Where your character is from
      • What was their family life like growing up?
      • How your character Exalted
      • At least one other person, place, or thing your character cares about (make them up if needed). The more the better!
      • What your character’s outlook is on the world (what do they think of all that’s going on? Or what do they know?)
      • What your character hopes to accomplish as an Exalt (if they do hope to accomplish anything)
  • One post per 48 hours is a good goal, but if life happens, just let me know (it happens to me all the time)
  • Be kind
  • Follow RPN’s rules
  • Have fun
    • This includes rules: I reserve the right to use or not use any parts of the rules at any time in the name of fun or player enjoyment
  • Narrative focus
    • I will usually promote narrative over mechanics
    • Meaning: I’d rather the story be more enjoyable than a mechanic
  • Character focus
    • Your characters’ backgrounds and pre-game experiences will shape what the focus of our story will be
  • Looking for 6 players max
We already have interest from:
Esbilon Esbilon and Epiphany Epiphany

Last edited:
Now I just need to ponder what kind of Exalt to play. . .

I am leaning towards a polar bear totem Lunar. Should be a killer character! Ha!

I'm probably going to remake Toun Whitefang at E1. I like the character and an Icewalker should fit perfectly in the far north. I may rethink fighting style and weapon choice though.

Esbilon Esbilon and Epiphany Epiphany will tell you, I wrestled with which edition of Exalted for a long while. I have the least experience with Ex3 and in turn haven’t give it a fair shake yet.

Rykon Rykon and Sherwood Sherwood have you had positive experiences with 3rd edition?
Yes. In my opinion, it is a very good edition to the game. Combat is a little odd at first, but once you get the hang of the Withering compared to Decisive damage, it makes a bit of sense.

I'll try and be both honest and fair here. I have my problems with Third Edition, but for each piece I dislike there is at least one I like or would have a hard time living without.

I'll try not to be too wordy but here's the highlights...
  • Manses and Hearthstones are a bit more cumbersome to manage, however Evocations breathe a lot of life into the artifact background.
  • Overall combat is actually more difficult to track, but instant lethality is gone and paranoia builds are also gone but also unnecessary. Mass Combat is more approachable but assembling a stat block for a battle group is still a chore.
  • The Social Influence system is much more natural this time around. Probably the best I've seen in a pen and paper game so far.
  • Ship combat and mounted combat seem to have better rules, albeit I've never actually been able to see them utilized. Which is somewhat sad, but understandable.
  • The overall charm count is obnoxiously bloated and generally learning new charms does very little to actually make you more capable outside of a handful of really good charms. Sorcery however is vastly improved over past editions. Workings are fantastic and it's hard to imagine games going forward without them.
  • Crafting is a nightmare as written, but there is some lightweight homebrews to make it less intimidating and bloated. However, past editions of crafting were also awful and subjectively worse so, hard to call this a true negative here.
  • I like that this edition seems to encourage a more fluid XP economy especially with splat XP (See Solar XP, Dragon XP, and Lunar XP). I also like the direction the rules for the Great Curse are moving in over time.
  • Solars give me an impression of being far weaker overall and not all that impressive outside of being a Dice fountain compared to 2E. Dragon-Blooded and Lunars however are better than they've ever been mechanically in my opinion. I feel like I could carve out a place in any group as any archetype and still bring a meaningful contribution to overcoming challenges.
If I could only change one thing about this edition, I'd trim the charm trees to about a fifth or a tenth of what they are now to cut the fluff speed bumpy stuff. Make each charm feel like a pretty big deal, even if it means characters have less non-excellency charms. Right now many charms are just situational roll tweaks rather than powers beyond a mundane roll.

tldr; it's a mixed bag, it's not perfect, but it's got some improvements that are hard to step away from once you've engaged with them enough to appreciate them.

I'll try and be both honest and fair here. I have my problems with Third Edition, but for each piece I dislike there is at least one I like or would have a hard time living without.

I'll try not to be too wordy but here's the highlights...
  • Manses and Hearthstones are a bit more cumbersome to manage, however Evocations breathe a lot of life into the artifact background.
  • Overall combat is actually more difficult to track, but instant lethality is gone and paranoia builds are also gone but also unnecessary. Mass Combat is more approachable but assembling a stat block for a battle group is still a chore.
  • The Social Influence system is much more natural this time around. Probably the best I've seen in a pen and paper game so far.
  • Ship combat and mounted combat seem to have better rules, albeit I've never actually been able to see them utilized. Which is somewhat sad, but understandable.
  • The overall charm count is obnoxiously bloated and generally learning new charms does very little to actually make you more capable outside of a handful of really good charms. Sorcery however is vastly improved over past editions. Workings are fantastic and it's hard to imagine games going forward without them.
  • Crafting is a nightmare as written, but there is some lightweight homebrews to make it less intimidating and bloated. However, past editions of crafting were also awful and subjectively worse so, hard to call this a true negative here.
  • I like that this edition seems to encourage a more fluid XP economy especially with splat XP (See Solar XP, Dragon XP, and Lunar XP). I also like the direction the rules for the Great Curse are moving in over time.
  • Solars give me an impression of being far weaker overall and not all that impressive outside of being a Dice fountain compared to 2E. Dragon-Blooded and Lunars however are better than they've ever been mechanically in my opinion. I feel like I could carve out a place in any group as any archetype and still bring a meaningful contribution to overcoming challenges.
If I could only change one thing about this edition, I'd trim the charm trees to about a fifth or a tenth of what they are now to cut the fluff speed bumpy stuff. Make each charm feel like a pretty big deal, even if it means characters have less non-excellency charms. Right now many charms are just situational roll tweaks rather than powers beyond a mundane roll.

tldr; it's a mixed bag, it's not perfect, but it's got some improvements that are hard to step away from once you've engaged with them enough to appreciate them.
That's awesome. I appreciate the detailed answer.

Honestly, I can see some of the improvements even in just reading them. I'm not convinced combat is a true success, but I think it ends up being a net-win in-so-far-as it negates the insta-kill stuff and the need for perfects to win. And the damn Essence attrition problem.

It honestly came down to Ex3 or 1e as I still have rose-colored nostalgia glasses for it.

But, I like enough of the changes in 3e to give it a shot.

Just wish it had retained the anime vibe in art, but can't have everything, I guess.

Last edited:
You know we do for you! Welcome aboard.
Wonderful! Always happy to join an exalted game, especially with the famous WlfSamurai!

A late subject, but regarding 3e. I'm much more noobish than the others, but from that perspective I actually find 3e a more manageable as compared to 3e. At least in terms of wrapping my head around it. But that is likely because I have been using 3e now more than I used 2e.

Rykons was pretty spot on with charms. They definitely aren't as bombastic(and I love me some bombastic), and sometimes it is a bit boring to having buy a series of boring charms you won't likely use when you just want to shake a warstrider like a maraca.

Though as another notable mention. I'd say stunts are much easier to manage in pbp with 3e, since we can assume a 2die stunt rather than having to constantly pause and ask for judgment. Instead you can add successes to our roll after reading if you feel it was worthy of it.

But thats just my two cents worth, but I wouldn't put much stock in it.

Now! Onto business!

WlfSamurai WlfSamurai
So what are you looking for in this narrative? Got any themes or story beats that you are looking to hit? You wanting to go big or be more grounded? Essentially, what is your vision. And how can we help achieve it?

Wonderful! Always happy to join an exalted game, especially with the famous WlfSamurai!

A late subject, but regarding 3e. I'm much more noobish than the others, but from that perspective I actually find 3e a more manageable as compared to 3e. At least in terms of wrapping my head around it. But that is likely because I have been using 3e now more than I used 2e.

Rykons was pretty spot on with charms. They definitely aren't as bombastic(and I love me some bombastic), and sometimes it is a bit boring to having buy a series of boring charms you won't likely use when you just want to shake a warstrider like a maraca.

Though as another notable mention. I'd say stunts are much easier to manage in pbp with 3e, since we can assume a 2die stunt rather than having to constantly pause and ask for judgment. Instead you can add successes to our roll after reading if you feel it was worthy of it.

But thats just my two cents worth, but I wouldn't put much stock in it.

Now! Onto business!

WlfSamurai WlfSamurai
So what are you looking for in this narrative? Got any themes or story beats that you are looking to hit? You wanting to go big or be more grounded? Essentially, what is your vision. And how can we help achieve it?
I envision I want to pull themes and story arcs from your characters and their backgrounds. Which! I just realized I never gave the requirements for. I’ll write that into the first post so you guys can build that as part of your character.

I’m looking to start you around Whitewall, I think. If that helps you focus on something.

But most important to me is that you play what you want to and we get to play Exalted.

• Character background
    • Please write a character background for your character
    • It can be as long or as short as you like
    • It should include:
      • Where your character is from
      • What was their family life like growing up?
      • How your character Exalted
      • At least one other person, place, or thing your character cares about (make them up if needed). The more the better!
      • What your character’s outlook is on the world (what do they think of all that’s going on? Or what do they know?)
      • What your character hopes to accomplish as an Exalt (if they do hope to accomplish anything)
Do take note, I added the character background section. Let me know if you have any questions.

Esbilon Esbilon , Epiphany Epiphany , Rykon Rykon , Sherwood Sherwood , D. Rex D. Rex

I envision I want to pull themes and story arcs from your characters and their backgrounds. Which! I just realized I never gave the requirements for. I’ll write that into the first post so you guys can build that as part of your character.

I’m looking to start you around Whitewall, I think. If that helps you focus on something.

But most important to me is that you play what you want to and we get to play Exalted.

Well! I got plenty ideas there!

I got two that come to the forefront.

1. The first is perhaps the most simple. A barbarian of the north whose wife and sun was killed by the wyld hunt who sought the Bull of The North. A berserker of the sun, he seeks to lay waste to his enemies with the only weapon fitting of wrath, his fists.

2. The second is much more narrative heavy with more backstory to draw upon. And probably a bit of a stretch of what you may allow so would require you permission.

An exalted soul redeemed from the grasp of the Mask of Winters by the miracle of Solar Doctor.

With the help of solar Doctor, it was a miracle of the Unconquered Sun that redeemed an Abyssals soul, returning it to the light from the Mask of Winters inescapable grasp.

Given a second chance, the shard finds a wayward soul on the brink of death who has give up on life. A fiendish warrior betrayed by their Lord, regrets the villainous and brutal life she once lead. And swears to protect an innocent life that their former Lord seeks to destroy.

And thus it becomes a tale of redemption for two souls. A la vibes of Lone Wolf and Cub and Rouroni Kenshin, a seasoned killer must protect a small child. Fighting their devilish instincts to kill that they once so strongly relied on, instead tries to not let this child be baptized by blood.

A dawn of the White Reaper Style and MA excellence thingy, not only must they take care of the child, but must also try to not kill. All the while trying to deal with the consequences of their monstrous legacy and reputation.

Well! I got plenty ideas there!

I got two that come to the forefront.

1. The first is perhaps the most simple. A barbarian of the north whose wife and sun was killed by the wyld hunt who sought the Bull of The North. A berserker of the sun, he seeks to lay waste to his enemies with the only weapon fitting of wrath, his fists.

2. The second is much more narrative heavy with more backstory to draw upon. And probably a bit of a stretch of what you may allow so would require you permission.

An exalted soul redeemed from the grasp of the Mask of Winters by the miracle of Solar Doctor.

With the help of solar Doctor, it was a miracle of the Unconquered Sun that redeemed an Abyssals soul, returning it to the light from the Mask of Winters inescapable grasp.

Given a second chance, the shard finds a wayward soul on the brink of death who has give up on life. A fiendish warrior betrayed by their Lord, regrets the villainous and brutal life she once lead. And swears to protect an innocent life that their former Lord seeks to destroy.

And thus it becomes a tale of redemption for two souls. A la vibes of Lone Wolf and Cub and Rouroni Kenshin, a seasoned killer must protect a small child. Fighting their devilish instincts to kill that they once so strongly relied on, instead tries to not let this child be baptized by blood.

A dawn of the White Reaper Style and MA excellence thingy, not only must they take care of the child, but must also try to not kill. All the while trying to deal with the consequences of their monstrous legacy and reputation.
Nice! I like both. Let me think more about the second.

Interested!
Sweet! That closes us, then!

I should have the threads up today or tonight sometime.

Excited! Glad to be getting back to Exalted. I really miss it.

Also for all of you: if you don’t mind taking a look at what D. Rex D. Rex was asking for his second build idea. I’m okay with the cleansing (details to be worked out with it like I’m thinking it’s a process that can’t be repeated easily, etc.), but I want you opinions on the fact that it would bring the Mask of Winters directly into play. AND more importantly, it might put a child in danger. The child would need protecting quite a bit.

I want to call that out to make sure no one had an issue with that both in and out of game. There’s a lot of cool story and drama that can come out of that, but I don’t want any to be uncomfortable and it would bring the MoW hot on your heels.

Let me know you thoughts here while I’m working to get the threads up.

Tagging: Esbilon Esbilon , Epiphany Epiphany , Rykon Rykon , Sherwood Sherwood , Funnier President Funnier President

Users who are viewing this thread

Back