• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Exalted 2.5 - Sidereals IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Amara lets out a sigh. "You know we'll never hear the end of it if we don't." She does a poor attempt to mimic Insight's voice, saying, "'We went down into the heart of the Pit of Doom, and all the two of you did was wave goodbye to me and Xun.'" She grins, and adds, "Besides, I want my own share of the glory and adventure in going down there. Lets go." With that, she makes a leap out into the open air and down into the darkness.

The initial drop is about twenty feet, then the tunnel extends out into the darkness at a downward angle with the only light coming from your glowing anima banners, thanks to the massive amount of Essence you all had poured into the fighting up top. The passage is roughly circular, measuring thirty feet across, and as you go further into the hole, the smell is getting worse by the step.

Everyone, please make a Stamina + Resistance roll.

Amara covers her nose and mouth as she catches her first sniff of the stench, trying not to gag. She then pulls out of one of her many pockets a silk scarf and wraps it around her mouth in a attempt to cover up the smell. "Ugh! This is vile! I can almost taste the stench!"

Almost a botch, but thanks to my IRA, I get a auto success to any Resistance roll to resist deleterious effects.

"Ah, yes. The smell of glory. I know it well." Every battlefield, win or lose, stinks all the same. This smell never failed to bring back bad memories. Insight pulls a bandana soaked in perfume over her face and lights a fragrant cigarette on her anima. "You know what, Amara? You were right. This was a terrible idea and I regret all of the choices that brought me here. You can have all the glory."

Last edited:
"This job isn't supposed to be about winning glory." remarked Shi-vash, shortly before watching Amara leap down into the pit. Instead of immediately following her however, Shi-vash decided to channel most of her remaining Essence into sorcery, the familiar shape and form of a cherub soon appearing before her.

The Chosen of Secrets whispered the following message:

"Ayesha, this is Shi-vash. Our group travelled to the digsite Ramada had found, discovering the place to be deserted. Soon after arriving there, we fought and defeated a monstrosity akin to a hekatonkhire; a sentient mass of corpses that was able to use Sidereal martial arts. Following the battle, we found the body of Rory Alexis among those that made up the creature; I personally suspect that his presence was what enabled the creature to utilize our abilities, and that the existence of such a monstrosity is proof of the involvement of an extremely powerful necromancer, perhaps an Abyssal or even one of the Deathlords. My compatriots have travelled down the hole where the monstrosity came from as part of our continued investigation, but all of us are low on Essence, having expended a great deal in the battle. Any reinforcements from Yu-Shan would be greatly appreciated."

Shi-Vash then whispered "Ayesha Ura, Chosen of Journeys, Head of the Division of Journeys, Chair of both the Convention on Essence Users and Sub-Convention on Demons". She thought it best to send the message to the head of her own "faction", rather than Chejop, knowing that while he might be her boss, he, Ayesha and Nazri were the ones who had ordered them on this mission.

Once the cherub had disappeared, Shi-vash took a deep breath, and jumped down into the hole.

[Used Infallible Messenger for 10m. 3 Successes on roll.]

Health:
|-0|-0|-0|
|-1|-1|
|-2|-2|-2|-2|
|-4|
Incapacitated

Essence: 5
Committed Essence: 14
Personal Essence: 0/17
Peripheral Essence: 5/46
Overdrive Essence: 0/10
Anima: 15

Willpower: 8

Join Battle: 5
Attacks:
Clinch (Speed 6, 15 Accuracy, Damage 3B, Defense -, Rate 1, Clinch, Natural, Piercing)
Kick (Speed 5, 15 Accuracy, Damage 6B, Defense +3, Rate 2, Natural)
Punch (Speed 5, 16 Accuracy, Damage 3B, Defense +7, Rate 3, Natural)
Switchklaive (Speed 4, Accuracy 18, Damage 7L, Defense +6, Rate 3, Attune 6, Piercing)

Dodge DV: 8
Parry DV: 9

As you head into the pit, the smell is nearly overwhelming to you, but for most, you can tolerate it. Amara, however, is at a -2 external penalty to all your rolls due to the stench for the duration of your stay here.

Going deeper into the tunnel, it extends about a thousand feet sloping down deeper into the earth. As you go, it is obvious that this is newly dug out, but there are bits of masonry and worked stone lying about the passage, giving a hint that there was a smaller tunnel here that has been widened by the undead monster-thing as it made its way to the surface.

At the end of this sloping tunnel, you find a open cavern with several buildings in it, many of which show signs of being partly buried then dug out by hand tools, along with many fresh torches that have since burned out. It looks like the archeological dig made its way down here and was working to excavate the buildings to see what was inside. In fact, as you look around, you find more tools hastily discarded lying about, giving more evidence that the dig made its way down here.

From your initial observations, you see that there is eight different structures down here, ranging in size and ornateness from fairly simple to very ornate. All the buildings are fashioned in a old, First Age construction design, and have a kings ransom of gold, silver and other precious metals incorporated into their construction.

At the very center of the cavern is the most elaborate and well decorated structure, this one covered in orichalcum, soulsteel, and starmetal. Wards to prevent dematerialized spirits and ghosts from passing through are carved into the metal, along with symbols that look like the marks of the Five Maidens and the Unconquered Sun. There is an open door here, a massive affair more reminiscent of a bank vault than a regular door, and there is dried blood splashed around the area, more than what could possibly come from just one person. There has been a lot of recent deaths here.

"Sorry to keep you all waiting." Shi-vash said sarcastically to the other Sidereals, having taken a bit longer than them to arrive here due to her use of Infallible Messenger. "I just thought it would be prudent to send an update to our superiors prior to some other eldritch monstrosity showing up and killing the lot of us. We're not exploring this place on behalf of ourselves, after all."

The stench of this place hadn't affected her enough to necessitate a facemask. The sight of what they had found was enough to make her briefly forget the smell.

"Wow...I've seen archaeological digs before, but none quite like this." she said.

Xun's dracomic fave scrunched up at the smell, but he otherwise persevered. "That is wise." He said to Shi-vash."Should we go missing, they will know better of what dangers they face in investigating further."

He looked upon the vault door as if it were the mouth of a monster, and approached it with as much care. "Whatever this place was... it is now a tomb. But this blood is not that old, dry yes... but not old. Could the deaths here have really spoiled so quickly as to cause such an odor? But whatever caused this i would wager that this was the trigger. As easily as this could have been a cache of wonders, so too could it have been a prison."

Approaching the door carefully, Xun took the initiative to see what was inside.

Amara does her best to keep breathing shallow to avoid hurling all over the place. That would not be a good thing to succumb to her nausea. In the meantime, she keeps her eyes open, looking at the various buildings as they head further into the cavern. "Cache or prison, these scientists were meddling in things best left alone. It seems clear that there was something down here that they freed, and it caused the deaths of everyone in this dig, including the members of our order."

Sherwood Sherwood Are all the buildings open, or just the one in the middle?

Sherwood Sherwood Are all the buildings open, or just the one in the middle?
A quick look around shows that all eight buildings have been opened, but the blood splatter is only in front of the one in the center.

When Xun looks closer at the large building at the center, you can see that there are even more wards that were on the building that were wiped out recently, probably by the archeologists digging at the building.

For those examining the buildings, please give me a Int + Occult roll.

Shi-vash soon decided to add her efforts to the investigation of the buildings.

[4 successes.]

Insight finds a nearby stack of crates suitably free of bloodstains to lie down on while she waits, doodling in the dirt with the tip of her parasol. "Uh-huh. Yeah. You do that mystery thing you do," she says distractedly as she keeps a weather eye on the future for signs of imminent strife.

While she waits she appraises the cavern. This place would make a phenomenal arena for the next Western grudge match. Once all the Creation shattering secrets are properly taken care of, of course. The ambience alone, and who cares what's in the temple - it will be obvious to everyone it's important. It just oozes drama. Shame about the smell, but sometimes you have to suffer for your art.

It is clear to both Shi-vash and Amara that there are, or at least were, two different lines of wardings; the first to keep people out, but the second, more elaborate ones are designed to keep something in. Xun's theory that this was a prison for something seems to be bearing fruit.

When you examine the main building, the wards were all damaged from outside, allowing whatever it was in here to be freed. Inside, there is a single room that absolutely reeks of necromatic magic and death. This room is the source of the horrible stench that has permeated the area. The interior walls are covered in runes from top to bottom, all in Old Realm, describing how the former occupant of the room with the title of the Dominator, a fallen Solar of the First Age along with his Circle sought to overthrow the rightful rule of the Unconquered Sun and were struck down. Cursed for all eternity, the eight traitors were bound here in undying torment to ponder the error of their ways.

Amara looks at the broken wards and says, "Xun's thought that this was a prison is right. Look at these. They're designed just as much to keep something in as well as keep the nosy people out. And I want to know more about the person that was locked away in here. I've never heard of any Exalt that was known as the Dominator, let alone a whole Circle of them that tried to overthrow the Unconquered Sun. Why was this information never taught to us before? I would think that it fits into the 'important bit of history' department."

Insight lies face down on her stack of crates, staring pointedly at the ground in deep concentration, her legs swishing back and forth above her with barely contained energy. A canny observer might note the tip of her parasol drawing what appears to be a very small Solar caste mark in the midst of the growing doodle beside her. "Not gonna say it. Noooope. Nuh-uh. Not me. My lips are sealed." Insight seems to be persuading herself more than anyone else, or perhaps just occupying her lips so they don't betray her.

Psychie Psychie Random Word Random Word
Shi-vash raised an eyebrow at Insight's mutterings, then turned to Amara. "Maybe such knowledge was only meant to be shared on a need-to-know basis. Maybe they hoped it would never become relevant again. Or maybe they just had enough Solar horror stories prior to the Usurpation." she suggested. "Whatever the case, we might be able to find out more back in Yu-Shan."

Having voiced her thoughts, the Chosen of Secrets approached Insight with an expression of concern.

"Something the matter?"

"Or..." Xun chimed in, "... they did not want tales of such an endeavor to inspire other. For their actions would have brought great shame. If a circle of sidereals sought to usurp the Maidens, we too would go to great lengths to hide the scars."

Xun gave another look around,"That there are no bodies is a good indication that the monster we faced was made from all of them. But there are greater things to worry about than death of our friends...."

Xun did not take his eyes from the cave, "Eight solars. Eight. Each of them so taken by darkness that they conspired against the Sun itself. And so bold as to make act upon it."

"And they have risen during the age were the Unconquered Sun slumbers and his champions are missing. From their punishment, will be filled with nothing but hate upon the world and a desire for vengeance."

"Eight solars," Xun repeated,"With the strength to believe they could match the Unconquered Sun. With at least one of them able to conquer death and craft corpses into machines of war."

"My friends... I fear that a great cataclysm has been unleashed. One that the Terrestrial protectors of creation are wholly unprepared to face. We need to get word back now of this news. If that circle of damnation somehow find our home, we may be unprepared to face it as well."

Hearing that summation from Xun caused Shi-vash to let out a long groan of exasperation, before she made her way over to the Chosen of Journeys.

"Up to eight mad Solars loose on the world...you know Chejop and the rest of the Bronzes are going to cream their undergarments over this, right?" she hissed to him, keeping her voice down so that Amara and Insight couldn't hear her.

Hearing that summation from Xun caused Shi-vash to let out a long groan of exasperation, before she made her way over to the Chosen of Journeys.

"Up to eight mad Solars loose on the world...you know Chejop and the rest of the Bronzes are going to cream their undergarments over this, right?" she hissed to him, keeping her voice down so that Amara and Insight couldn't hear her.
Xun nodded,"The cream will certainly flow freely and viscously." He told her quietly,"Good, it will make it all the easier to convince the two factions to cooperate. I'll help the creaming along if that is what it takes. But you know as well as I do that the Gold faction has to try even harder to stamp down instances like this, for if we don't we will lose all credibility. But we can not afford to let this get stuck in celestial politics."

"If any of them had lunar mates, then that is all the more forces to their cause. And if they get their hands on any newly born solars it would not be hard for them to corrupt recruits to join them. Even with just their knowledge of the First Age, this can escalate very quickly. Do we have any way to contact Lunar or Solar contacts to help spread warning?" He asked her softly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back