• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Exalted 2.5 - Sidereals IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Amara shrugs. "Sure. We can play the role of a bunch of spoiled Dynasts out on vacation easy enough."

Insight pulls an amber decanter and a crystal snifter lined with everlasting ice out of a chest. Having a Fire aspected anima had some disadvantages. She needed to cool off and relax. She watches Shi-Vash summon the little pattern spider as she pours and thinks nothing of it. Then she hears the question. Her eyes narrow, she wouldn't dare. When the spider returns and Shi-Vash calmly announces the location of the dig site Insight gives a strangled cry of frustration and pours herself a double. This was going to be a long day.

"Fucking classic Division of Secrets. You've known where we were going this entire time, haven't you? I know that spider can only check your personal library and the Loom, and Chejop... but of course he was lying too. It's like an uncontrollable reflex with you people." She downs the contents of in two quick gulps, focusing on the way the drink burns her throat on the way down to distract her from her frustration before slamming the glass down. "Alright, lead the way, but if your obsessive secret keeping gets me killed I will haunt you."

Shi-vash raises an eyebrow at Insight's accusation, before looking slightly apologetic. "I promise you, I was in the dark just as much as everyone else until now. Otherwise I would have told you all where the dig-site was located, and possibly suggested we go straight to it." she replied, before admitting, "Though perhaps I should have put the question to the Loom earlier, if some of you were going to be concerned about a need for secrecy..."

"Listen..." she continued calmly, looking into Insight's eyes. "I'm not trying to screw you or anyone else here over in any way. I barely have anything that could be considered a library at my apartment, and as for Chejop, he trusts me much less than he did after the Solars returned. Believe me, I've no intention of keeping secrets from any of you right now. This mission isn't about changing the status quo on Creation, it's about finding someone or something that was capable of killing two of our brethren, and convincing Chejop, Ayesha and Nazri to band together against it. And trust me, I consider investigating that kind of threat more important than bringing back the Solars. Creation's one thing, but if Heaven were to fall..."

"if you want me to tell you something, you need only ask." she concluded. "If I know the answer, I'll tell you. If I don't, I'll try and find out what it is."

Amara says, "Don't forget, all that was asked was the location of the dig site, not the identity of exactly what it was that did kill two members of the Fellowship. Nothing to get worked up about, right? We still don't know what it is that we are looking for."

Shi-vash gave Amara a grateful smile, and then looked back at the others. "I have thought of asking questions among those lines, I admit. On the other hand, I'm not sure I'll actually get any useful answers. I'd have thought that if I could, Chejop, Ayesha and Nazri would have been able to figure things out themselves, and then they'd have told us during our briefing." she explained, wanting to hear what the others thought of that logic.

Insight relents, waving her hand and turning away, "Okay, okay. I believe you. I'm sorry. Only fifteen miles outside a major urban centre is far too close for comfort." She looks at Xun, "Wherever you're landing, do it quickly and let us set out immediately."

Since it seems the most recent vote was for the group to head off in the direction of the dig site, Xun will oblige and turns the airship accordingly.

Flying for just a short time, you soon can see off in the distance a large work site that has been cordoned off into grid squares. So far, several pieces of broken down buildings have been unearthed, and it seems that the dig is set to continue on with more discoveries.

But there is something odd. Its the middle of the day, but there are no people there. You can see tents set up to help house the work force, but there are no one around them, and no one on the actual work site itself either. It is completely abandoned, and more than a little creepy.

Amara frowns. This is hardly normal. Another sign that there is trouble here. Looking carefully, she says, "I suggest we set down outside the work area and the tents to avoid disturbing any evidence with the repulsors of the airship."

"I agree." said Shi-vash, before starting to look around for a suitable landing spot. If she saw such a place, she'd point it out to Xun.

Xun nodded, landing the ship away from the dog site after getting a good look. Landing in a clearing pointed out by Shi-Vash.

Open landing and shutting down the skiff, he looked to the others."I suppose we should be ready for anything, then." He said, and opened the hatch once they were. He had considered leaving the ship running for a quick escape... but they had a job to do whatever it took.

Once the airship is powered down, Amara walks down the ramp and slowly begins to look around using her Charm of Telltale Symphony to try and identify any active flows of Essence in the area, walking carefully to make sure that she doesn't step into anything unpleasant.

And I don't see a thing out of the ordinary.

Stepping our of the ramp, Xun takes a deep breath and closes his eyes. When he opens them... they have changed. Becoming reptilian. His irises a bright icey grey and his pupils a vertical black slit. The eyes of a dragon. To see not just the living and elemental, but more.

Activating Supernal Awareness for Spirits.
Activating Piercing Gaze of the Dragon.

Piercing Gaze of The Dragon
Cost: 5m; Mins: Martial Arts 3, Essence 2; Type: Reflexive
Keywords: Combo-OK, Obvious
Duration: One scene
Prerequisite Charms: None
The Dragon’s gaze surveys all, both corporeal and immaterial, both hidden and obvious, he is in tune with the elemental nature of creation, and nothing formed of that essence can hide from his gaze. The martial artist Closes his eyes, breathes deeply of the essence of creation, and opens his eyes. When his eyes open his irises transform into reptilian slits, and his eyes burn with fiery inner light. His transformed eyes grant him a new perspective on the world all living beings become limed with halo of light. Because of this strange form of essence sight, all living beings are visible to him, even those taking steps to hide themselves behind cover or in shadows. This automatically negates mundane attempts at stealth, provided they are occurring within the Martial Artist’s field of view. He adds one automatic success to all sight based awareness checks. Finally he may see dematerialized elementals and can recognize beings who posses elementally aspected essence with a successful (Perception + Lore) roll allowing him to learn which element their essence is attuned to
SUPERNAL AWARENESS
Cost: 4m; Mins: Awareness 4, Essence 3; Type: Simple
Keywords: Combo-OK, Fate, Stackable
Duration: One Scene
Prerequisite Charms: Expected Pain
With this Charm, the character expands her awareness not into the future, but across a broader swatch of the present. The character must look for something specifi c, be it a person, a spirit, the use of her name, the use of Essence, the outbreak of combat or some other objectively defi nable phenomenon. If that specifi c thing appears or occurs within (character’s Essence x 100) yards, the Sidereal becomes aware of it. She doesn’t receive a clairvoyant vision, per se, so much as she receives a general understanding.

She might know the location of a person she monitors but wouldn’t necessarily know what that person is doing. If the character watches for a phenomenon, though, she does get a general sense of its power level. If she watches for combat, for example, she can tell the difference between two gangs clashing over disputed turf and two rival noblemen dueling over a girl. If the character looks for the use of Essence, she could tell the difference between a fellow Sidereal’s refl exive use of the Forgotten Earth Charm (see p. 153) and a sorcerer casting the Incomparable Body Arsenal spell (see Exalted, p. 255). In these circumstances, the character can even recognize specifi c Charms, spells or other supernatural powers, if she’s
seen their use before.

Supernal Awareness does not detect creatures outside of fate. Creatures governed by fate, however, cannot conceal themselves from this Charm by any natural or supernatural means. The more times a Sidereal activates this Charm in a scene, the more creatures or phenomena she can watch for at a time.

Awareness Check
+1 successes from PGotD
Total: 2 successes

Still wearing her Resplendent Destiny, Shi-vash followed Amara and Xun out of the airship, keeping her eyes on the lookout for anything out of the ordinary.

[3 successes.]

Insight fishes an ornate gold and crimson parasol out of a trunk and extends it as she strolls down the ramp. She walks in the narrow lanes between groups of squares cordoned off with brightly coloured string - How curious - nonchalantly examining the unearthed buildings as she fans herself while her attention remains fixed on her centuries-honed intuitive understanding of the strands of fate that presage conflict and strife for any signs of impending danger.

Prior Warning (6m) for a chance to roll to spot danger up to 10m before it will appear.

Perception 2 + Awareness 3 + Stunt 1

I thought about casting Whirlwind of Fate but 20m is a bit hefty. Need one of those hearthstones that make spells cheaper.

Amara hits the ground first, and immediately can feel an uneasy sensation. This part of Creation is very close to becoming a shadowland, and the only thing that could have done that is a large amount of death in the area. But there are no bodies around to suggest that a mass killing took place. To your eyes, nothing seems to be out of place.

Shi-vash and Xun get the same feeling of wrongness as Amara, but you notice something that your fellow Sidereal does not; there are a few places where the neat lines of the dig site has been messed up, mostly next to one of the recently uncovered buildings. Almost as if there was something uncovered that caused the workers to flee . . .

The moment that Insight's feet hit the ground, you also feel something wrong, like you are being watched. Random Word Random Word Thanks to your Prior Warning Charm, go ahead and give me another Per + Awareness roll.

"Do you all sense that?" Shi-vash asked the others, in a quiet and apprehensive voice. "Death...like a lot of it happened in this area. But no bodies...so whatever was responsible had enough intelligence to dispose of them, or at least take them away..."

She thought about asking her spider another question, but held off on doing so. Some instinct told her something was coming. Although when it did come, she wouldn't be as ready as Insight...

"Or worse." Xun said to Shi-vash. "This sort of taint does not come from a simple massacre. The journey to create such a presence is much worse than that. There was certainly great fear and suffering done. To body, mind, and soul." His cheerful demeanor falling to something much more serious.

Xun pointed to the building that much of the mess originated from. "Whatever happened, started there, I believe. They found something." He said as he walked cautiously towards building in question.

Sherwood Sherwood
Is there any glass, polished metal, glossy ceramic, or other reflective surfaces in the area?

Chills run down Insight's spine. She partially closes her parasol and holds it aloft to occlude the blinding radiance of the sun, channeling her essence to dim the sky and incite the shining stars to burn brighter for just a moment. She studies the Gauntlet, the Rising Smoke, and the Crow, and mutters softly to herself under hear breath, "Once, there was a maiden... It’s gonna hurt bad, ...I could avoid it, but I won’t, 'cause there’s always an ending."

She reaches out and grasps the thread of impending violence and gives it a soft tug, feeling her heart lurch and skip a beat. "Yeah, figures." She plucks the thread and watches the vibrations ripple out through space and time, interpreting with practiced skill the murderous vibrations that bounce back to her along the strand held gently between her fingertips.

3m Expected Pain to convert all dice on an awareness test to detect an impending threat to successes
Awareness 5 + Perception 2 + Stunt 1 = 8 Successes

Personal 14/20
Peripheral 43/51

Is there any glass, polished metal, glossy ceramic, or other reflective surfaces in the area?
Yes. Lying about the dig site are various pieces of metal that would serve as reflective surfaces.
Chills run down Insight's spine. She partially closes her parasol and holds it aloft to occlude the blinding radiance of the sun, channeling her essence to dim the sky and incite the shining stars to burn brighter for just a moment. She studies the Gauntlet, the Rising Smoke, and the Crow, and mutters softly to herself under hear breath, "Once, there was a maiden... It’s gonna hurt bad, ...I could avoid it, but I won’t, 'cause there’s always an ending."

She reaches out and grasps the thread of impending violence and gives it a soft tug, feeling her heart lurch and skip a beat. "Yeah, figures." She plucks the thread and watches the vibrations ripple out through space and time, interpreting with practiced skill the murderous vibrations that bounce back to her along the strand held gently between her fingertips.

3m Expected Pain to convert all dice on an awareness test to detect an impending threat to successes
Awareness 5 + Perception 2 + Stunt 1 = 8 Successes

Personal 14/20
Peripheral 43/51
As you look around once more, your Essence-fueled vision picks up a flicker of motion coming from the dark interior of the ruined building that the archaeologists were digging out. It feels very wrong, and the hairs on the back of your neck are now standing on end.

Amara lets her hands drift down to her belt where she has her Floating Ribbon wrapped around her, feeling the general unease of the situation around them. Then, she tries to get a better look around to see anything.

3 successes

Insight uses extending her parasol to conceal a few prearranged hand gestures to silently indicate to everyone behind her: Imminent violence; Danger this way - she points the gesture towards the ruined building; Closer to now than ten minutes.

She shifts her stance into the Violet Bier of Sorrows Form and forms the lesser sign of Saturn. As soon as she sees everyone is ready, she advances into the unearthed building, and her impending violent fate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back