• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Exalted (2.5) Lunar Game - OOC

Main
Here
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
So how much do we remember about ourselves? I've kind of been assuming it's all gone: Who we were, what our names were, how our powers work, that we're even Exalted at all, but I'm not sure what level of amnesia you were envisaging.

Also, how do attribute boosting artifacts and hearthstones work with Lunar Excellencies in 2.5e? I can't find anything on the subject. Does a Stone of Inhuman Beauty, Celestial Battle Armour, etc increase the limit, count against the limit like shapeshifting, or have no interaction with it at all?

Do you want us all to be combat capable, and if so to what level? Beat up a mortal, go toe to toe with a Dusk in single combat, etc? The gift of the two free Excellencies helps, but Lunars have a pretty tight character creation budget so right now I'm almost purely social. Dex 2 MA 2 with maybe Butterfly Eyes as my only defense. I could take a Tyrant Lizard form or something, but I'd still be rolling a 4 die attack pool with no excellency. I was also looking at that hearthstone that gives you a Fire Aspect anima for both the disguise potential and the self defense utility. When you're immune to fire, setting everything on fire can be a good defense.

I was wondering the same thing. Do I need some armor and a PD to start with? Can I get away with being primarily Mental-focused for a while? Should I compromise by summoning demons or elementals for protection or taking a Familiar?

Last edited:
Here's what I'm envisioning:

You woke up a few days ago in the desert, not recalling anything, just three strangers, bound together, clothed in tattered clothes.
It took you a day or two to slowly recall your own names, and that you are Lunars, what your Spirit Shape is, and what powers you have, and how they work.
Also, you found a chest nearby that had all of your possessions, including Artifacts.
And then, once that happened, you started really feeling this pull to the Dreaming Sea, and the dreams started.

Your character doesn't need to be combat savvy. At the beginning, fighting mortals would be your biggest challenge, but of course, if you make a combat savvy character, you might encounter a bit more opposition, but I find that Lunars are far better at sneaking past obstacles, unless their spirit shape is something like a Tyrant Lizard. Though Heartsblood helps as well.

House Rules:
The two free Excellencies must be in your Caste/Favored Attributes.
Lunars can learn the first two levels of both Sorcery and Necromancy.
When taking Necromancy or Sorcery, you get one free spell of that Circle.
Thaumaturgy - Learning an entire level of one Art costs 4 XP, or 2 BP.

Last edited:
Could my character's book actually be Oadenol's Codex? I know most Lunar sorcerers are Salinan but it's not a requirement, and the reasons why this particular Lunar follows a different school could be fun to discover (not to mention how she ended up with the diary to begin with).

It seems in the light of day to be "only" the diary/sketchbook of a First Age Exalt, full of gossip about other Exalted and stuff they did. Under a full moon a silver script appears, displaying notes on the occult. A solar eclipse reveals the diarist's part in the Usurpation. There are almost certainly other tales concealed in the book, but they will only become visible during the right astronomical events.

A successful research roll allows the reader to find useful information, such as the location of exotic components or clues to casting a particular spell, along with whatever setting fluff, plot coupons or bits of foreshadowing the ST wishes to include. :)

OK, I think my character is done:

...though I'll probably think of lots of tweaks I need to make once I've seen everybody else's...

Whoops, I forgot to watch this thread. What about attribute boosting artifacts and Lunar Excellency caps/Charm requirements? I wasn't able to figure out how that worked.

They do not interact with the Excellency Cap/Charm Requirements. Unless they specifically call out how they interact with Solar Excellencies, whose limit is Attribute + Ability.

Okay, so when the Third Excellency doubles an Attribute, it doubles your attribute before all modifiers. So a Stone of Inhuman Beauty says it raises your Appearance by 4 to a max of 7. If you used a Third Excellency, would it go from 3 -> 6 + 1, remaining at 7, or 7 -> 10? The order of operations there is confusing, and I suspect the Stone of Inhuman Beauty is almost completely useless to Lunars but great for everyone else. It seems clearer that if you have an Infinite Resplendence Amulet or something that boosts Appearance by 4, the Third Excellency doubles the attribute before the +4 is applied.

Stone of Inhuman Beauty (along with Sun's Peak) are very much relics of 1st Edition where Appearance was next to useless. They are very much not balanced for Ex2 where Appearance is the god stat of social combat.

The Third Excellency would boost your stat before the Artifact comes into play, so yes, the Stone of Inhuman Beauty might be less useful to a Lunar who has that Excellency.

Am not a big fan of the Infinite Resplendence Amulet

Ah, okay, so I should avoid any of the Appearance boosting artifacts because they're all broken? Perfect Symmetry seemed to scream, 'Hi, yes, we want you to get as much Appearance as possible if you want to rival a Solar tier manipulator.' The Infinite Resplendence Amulet both seems really useful for a con artist and has a +4 Appearance mode, so it seemed an obvious buy.

Ah, okay, so I should avoid any of the Appearance boosting artifacts because they're all broken? Perfect Symmetry seemed to scream, 'Hi, yes, we want you to get as much Appearance as possible if you want to rival a Solar tier manipulator.' The Infinite Resplendence Amulet both seems really useful for a con artist and has a +4 Appearance mode, so it seemed an obvious buy.

Truth be told, with Perfect Symmetry and Third Appearance Excellency, Lunars can easily rival any Solar Manipulator, if neither has Infinite Resplendence Amulet.

Random Word Random Word A few issues with your sheet:
I think the Anima powers you listed aren't for a Lunar
You'll want to adjust the coding on your Mask of White jade
What animals are in your Heart's Blood?
You have 5 dots in your Physical Attributes, when it should be 4.
Can you clarify your Motivation? And your Intimacies...

1. Pardon? I don't follow the first one. I'm pretty sure that's the changing moon anima power.
  2. Fixed - missing closing brace.
  3. Let's see. Probably half human forms, half animal. The animals will be... house cat, sparrow, mouse, hawk, scorpion. At E2 she still has to murder humans to take their forms. Let's say they were a young soldier, an old merchant, a liveried servant, a fire aspected outcaste terrestrial, and a scarred thug.
  4. Removed the extra dot of Strength - sorry about that.
  5. Sure. Rather then 'get rich' I thought it would be a bit more interesting if she wanted to seize the wealth of the Great House that ran the Satrapy where she was raised, but I quickly realized we were headed to the Dreaming Sea and that was unlikely to be a good fit for the story. With her memories gone I figured it would be less specific, but the emotional context would carry on, so she wants to take DBs in general for all they're worth, disgracing them and enriching herself, even if she doesn't really remember the why. I'm not sure how to clarify the intimacies, but if you have specific questions I can definitely answer them. I'm still fiddling with them. I don't want her to be too antisocial or obnoxious to work with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back