• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Evergreen Circus || OPEN

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Other
Here
"I'd tell you not to pet anything in here," Cassian quipped to Aubrey, "But it sounds like you'll be fine."

He looked down the row of cages and makeshift pens. Some of the animals were sleeping in their traveling cages and some had been let into fenced off rings near their trailers. Cassian watched the tiger pace for a moment before turning back to Alvar.

"We should check in with Monsieur Crom before we start setting up. I'll walk you?"

Alvar Circe

Alvar nodded to Cassian, and bent backwards into a bridge, then another handstand. He walked on his hands, quite gracefully actually, and turned to the other boy.

“That’s alright with me. I really hope you have fun with the animals, Aubrey! The Fauna of your world aren’t exactly my best friends.” Alvar stood back up, fully awake now, as his face was tinted blue. For him, that was the equivalent of a blush. His blood was blue inside and out, and had a matalic shimmer. So, he blushed blue.

He was kind of embarrassed that this persons first impression of him was a lot of random flips, but he tried not to dwell on it too long. He looked to Cassian expectantly, putting his hand to his neck and twirling the hair on the back of his neck again. Rubbing one ankle against the other, Alvar tried to wipe his embarrassment off his face.

Cassian watched Alvar flip and twirl around, quietly admiring his grace. Although he caught a flash of embarrassment from Alvar when the boy stood back up, he had seen this routine before and secretly thought it was kind of mesmerizing. He used to be able to move like that. Maybe he still could, if he warmed up again. He wasn't about to try.

"Let us know if you need anything else, yes?" he said to Aubrey, a charming smile finding his face.

She was pretty, in an unconventional way. Not that convention had ever mattered to Caspian. He wondered what her story was. The Evergreen performers always seemed to have complicated ones. He was no exception. Cassian took the first few steps back towards the circle of trailers, turning back to Alvar to see if he was going to follow.

Alvar Circe

Alvar was focused on saying goodbye to Aubrey, so when he noticed Cassian waiting for him, he squeaked in suprise and sprinted over to Cassian. He slid on the wet grass as he tried to come to a stop, and pursed his lips, the blue coming right back into his face. He stood up perfectly straight after his almost fall, and stared straight ahead.

“I’m good...” He muttered, before moving to stand next to him. Alvar tried shaking his head. He had to get rid of that clumsyness before tonight’s showing. His eyes watched his feet for a moment, as his hand automatically went to his neck.

Cassian started walking once he was sure Alvar was okay, keeping his usual brisk pace in check so that the shorter boy could keep up.

"Are you?" he asked once they were out of earshot of the animal enclosures, "It seems like something's troubling you this morning."

Cassian studied Alvar as they walked, looking down slightly to meet his eyes. It was definitely uncharacteristic of him to slip like that. Maybe there was something on his mind.

Aubrey waved goodbye to them, grinning from ear to ear. It had been a short interaction, but she'd been glad to finally talk to people. Everyone was always so busy around here..

They'd been just as intruiging as everyone else at Evergreen she'd met so far. She supposed that must just be the kind of crowd it attracted. Alvar seemed kind if not a bit absent minded at times, and Cassian seemed like a pleasant person too, although she couldn't shake the feeling that he was a slightly.. guarded person? Then again, a lot of people got like that around her as soon as they knew she was an empath.

Lost in thought, she began sliding the leather gloves off of her hands. One of the tigers who had been previously circling the enclosure was now up against the wall, watching her.

"I know, I know! I'll feed you now, don't worry.."

Strictly, animals couldn't really read her feelings unless she was touching them. But once you'd established a bond with them and let them feel your feelings, it became easier for them to understand her even when she wasn't making physical contact. Like a regular animal trainer, she supposed.

Alvar Circe

He was a little taken aback by Cassian’s question. Not in the sense that he was offended, but more in the sense that it made him think. Was something on his mind? Usually there was, and he just forgot about it or pushed it back. He shrugged, not completely sure, but not wanting to freak Cassian out.

“No, there’s not.... I guess it’s just my nerves from having a big show tonight, and meeting a new person......” He trailed off, looking at they sky. He sighed, linking both hands behind his neck as he walked. He looked to Cassian, and tilted his head to the side.

“How about you, Cas? What do think of the new girl?” Alvar used “Cas” as a nick name without even meaning to. His eyes widened when he relized, and he put his hands up apologetically. “I meant Cassian! Sorry.... “

Cassian waved Alvar off with a chuckle that faded into a soft, genuine smile. It had been a long time since someone had called him "Cas".

"Actually? I like 'Cas'," he said, "You're welcome to it."

A memory of his sisters came drifting back to him, the way they snuck up and tried to pounce and surprise him whenever they could. It seldom worked. The little girls couldn't stifle their giggles as they waited for Cassian to enter leaping range. They made a game of jumping off of wherever they were waiting on, forcing him to drop whatever he was carrying to catch them. They always leaped as if they would never come down, shouting, "Cas, Cas, catch us!".

Cassian shook the memory off. Reminiscing got him nowhere. He had learned that.

"Aubrey seems agreeable," he told Alvar, contemplating as he spoke, "If a little bit naive. But who among us wasn't at first?"

Alvar Circe

Alvar sighed in relief when he relized Cassian wasn’t offended. He hated to offended people. It was just how he was raised. Anytime he ended up offending people, his father would never be happy. It was part of being a dryad. And when his father wasn’t happy, it wouldn’t go well.

Alvar re-focused on ‘Cas’, as he probably would call him from now on, and saw him looking a little out of it, like visiting a though or memory, a small smile on his face. Alvar wondered if that was how he looked when he did that. Suddenly, Cassians smile dropped, and he spoke to Alvar again.

“Aubrey seems agreeable, if a little bit naive. But who among us wasn’t at first?” Alvar nodded a little in agreement, but laughed softly at the innocent part.

“It’s kind of a shame.... I’ve been told I still have that naivety in my head.” Of course, he probably was still naive. But he shrugged that off; it didn’t offend him. As the walked, his hand went back to twirling around his hair, out of habit.

Cassian considered. Alvar could be a bit overly-innocent at times and he still had the playfulness of the child he was not so long ago. Still, he respected the nymph. He had been a formidable partner when they were both acrobats.

"Perhaps a little," he teased, "But you've been faring all right, even now that I'm not there to look after you in the ring."

Cassian didn't want to overstep, but he had refined a strain of confidence when he lived in France that he still carried and found that it allowed him to say such things easily.

Alvar Circe

Alvar laughed a little, and put a blue marker hand to his mouth. He knew Cassian was teasing, and he knew that part of it was true. There were deffinitly some time Cas saved him from slipping up during a performance.

“Yeah.... although to be honest, it has gotten a bit harder during performances. I guess I need to practice more.” Alvar admitted, running a hand through his pure white hair, before fixing the thin gold circle in it. They were gettting closer to Ms. Calista’s trailer, were Mr. Crom was.

“I wonder if Mr. Crom needs us to do anything specific tonight.... Oh! And I need ask him about buying new silks for myself!” Alvar started humming and muttering to himself, wondering what a good way to ask that was, before turning back to Cassian. “But, before I get sidetracked...” he said nervously, not wanting to ignore him, “do you like having a knife act now?”

Cassian's steps faltered, hanging back before he and Alvar could enter hearing range of the ringmaster. This wasn't something he wanted to talk about here, or possibly anywhere.

"It's..."

He sighed and covered his internal conflict with a rueful smile. Alvar had touched the topic before, but not this directly.

"It's not bad," he said, "It's just different."

There, that was the truth. Mostly. Cassian did enjoy tossing knives and playing with bursts of light for the crowd. His act was Dagger & Thorn, a name which had been suggested to him for its intrigue. In reality, daggers were hard to throw straight and his act only involved a couple of them.

"I can't exactly complain. It was an act of kindness for Monsieur Crom to keep me on as a performer when I was effectively useless for six months."

Alvar Circe

Alvar paused with Cassian, and raised an eyebrow. It seemed like he was lying, but Alvar wasn’t going to push it. When Cassian mentioned his old injury, Alvar placed a hand on his shoulder, trying to be comforting.

“Your not usless, Cas. You never were. Belive me, Mr. Crom would never kick someone out of this circus unless he had a good reason. You were one of the best acrobats I’ve ever seen, and now your one of the best knife acts. You accelerate at whatever you do, and that’s a gift.” Alvars voice went from light and airy to serious and steady while he talked, trying to get Cassian to feel better. He rembered when the incident happened. He had panicked, and wasn’t even sure what to do. His acrobatics partner was hurt, and that scared him. But when Alvar relized he would get better, he had been relived.

He brushed of the sadness, hoping not to dwell on anything sad for too long. He never wanted his circus family to feel upset; it just didn’t seem right to him.​

If Cassian was a blusher, Alvar's kind words would have gotten him right then and there. Fortunately for his dignity, Cassian was extremely difficult to fluster externally, so he managed to keep his poker face mostly intact.

"We'll see if that's true when I take up woodworking," Cassian joked.

More at ease, he took a few more steps, approaching Callista's trailer.

"And I might be nice to look at, but I still maintain that I ought to be earning my keep. I'm glad I can again."

Alvar Circe

Alvar smiled up to Cassian, slightly laughing at his joke, before fixing his bracelets. As Mr. Crom came into view, Alvar looked to Cassian. He understood wanting to earn his own keep. He also understood the frustration that came alonge with not being able to do anything, but not nearly to Cassians extent. He nodded in agreement to his statement, before breaking out into a small smile upon seeing Mr. Crom.

Alvar truly did have Maxwell in the highest respect. He wouldn’t call him a father figure, but he would call him a guardian. The whole circus had very willingly taken him in when he had run away from his home, and then they became his family. Mr. Crom could be creepy, and scary sometimes, but Alvar always remembered that he had taken him in, and knew there was kindness behind the toothy grin.

Alvar almost called out to the two leaders of the circus, before realizing they were in a conversation. He hesitated, not quite sure if he should interrupt. Interrupting was rude, and disrespectful. So he waited on the side, twirling his hair on the back of his neck nervously.

mochi bun mochi bun Lunar Lunar Wandering Seraph Wandering Seraph

• moon-sik choi

✧ - ✧ - ✧ - ✧ - ✧ - ✧ ---- ✧ - ✧ - ✧ - ✧ - ✧ - ✧
    The sound of footsteps was the first thing that alerted Moon-sik he wasn't alone. Turning his head, he glanced at the approaching man. Struggling not to grimace, he raised his hand in a brief wave. He stuffed his head in his pockets, turning his head away as he continued on his trek. It took the other man barely any time to catch up with him. Moon-sik grit his teeth; of course Kamon wouldn't easily catch on that he wasn't in the mood to have company. His shoulders raised in annoyance, plucking the cigarette from his mouth to exhale. The smoke tumbled from his nose as he glanced once more up towards the strongman.

"Oh, well. I need some type of stress reliever." Moon-sik grumbled, "especially with all the weird stuff that happens around this place."

It wasn't that Moon-sik disliked Evergreen circus. It was the opposite– he enjoyed the people and all the liveliness and talent they brought. Still... there were some members that bordered on the bizarre. They had a tendency to intimidate him; remind him that he was a little fish in a vast ocean or whatever. It wasn't long before he had finished his cigarette. Flicking the ash away, he waited until the light died before he tossed it into a bin the two passed. The canteen soon came into view; the flaps opened to show that the members were now allowed inside. Moon-sik glanced once more at Kamon before he walked into the cafeteria.

His eyes scanned the room, noticing the lone figure already there. Zoe– one of the trapeze artists– lifted her head as they entered. The way her expression lit up made him glance away, mouth twisted into a scowl as he walked towards the direction of the coffee maker.

He really needed caffeine.

code by @pasta

Cassian stepped forwards so that he was standing just to Alvar's right, slightly in front of him, clearly waiting to catch the attention of Mr. Crom.

It wasn't that the ringmaster scared him. Cassian's upbringing had given him a pretty high threshold for fear of other people and you had to be a pretty consistently terrifying individual to intimidate him. It was more that the ringmaster garnered a certain level of respect, respect that Cassian was happy to give him. He owed his livelihood to Mr. Crom, if not his life. He had come into a new familiarity, almost a familial feeling, since Mr. Crom had accommodated his injury and the arduous healing process afterwards. Cassian had been sure he was going to be thrown out. He waited in silence for the ringmaster to acknowledge him and his fellow performer so that they could check in before their day truly began.

Calista Savas 2759a88d26c1c304c2012bf1fdb78e94.jpg
Callista nodded her head after Maxwell had spoken, keeping her friendly smile in place. It wasn’t often that she was asked to perform in the show, especially with the additional request of using her abilities. A hand on her horns caused Calista to glance up, feeling the weight of Katya’s head settling on top of her own. Tightening her hold on her daughter, she returned her dark gaze to the demon before her. She watched as he flicked his sleeve upwards, his movements theatric.

I’ll definitely have everything ready by then, sir.” Calista nodded. Her gaze drifted to her own watch, double-checking the time. Thirteen hours was fine; she had performed the same routine enough to know the drill. Tucking an errant curl behind her ear, she made a motion to speak once more before her attention was turned elsewhere. Her gaze settled on the two lingering beside her trailer.

One dark brow raised, smile growing fonder.

It seems we have company.” She spoke, glancing towards Max before returning her gaze to the other two. “What can we do for you this morning, gentlemen?” Hands settling along her hips, she offered them a grin.

As soon as Calista had finished speaking, she felt Katya shift on her back. The girl had gasped when she had first noticed the two, her hands tightening on her mother’s horns. Calista watched as Katya leapt from her back and ducked under the railing, her feet impacting the earth before she was moving once more. Her ears were perked up as she paused in front of the two older boys, bouncing on her heels. She seemed ecstatic, unable to stand still.

Katya beamed. “Good morning!

Kamon Onruang 208facb688dea9b6a5b272da2ba081fd.jpg

Kamon wasn’t one to judge. Everyone had their own problems and their own things to worry over. Still, as he watched Moon-sik continue to smoke, he couldn’t help but to furrow his brow. The witch seemed to be focused on walking, the conversation short and clipped. Kamon kept sneaking glances, swiping the smoke away from his face whenever it was blown in his direction.

As Moon-sik spoke, Kamon couldn’t help but laugh at his mention of ‘the weird stuff’ that occurred on the grounds. “That’s one way to put it, I guess.” He chuckled, running a hand over his long strands of hair.

Nearing the tents, Kamon perked up. It seems they were already up and serving food for the workers. He followed after the witch as he slipped inside, ducking his head to fit under the archway. His attention was caught when he heard his name. Turning his head, he lit up at the sight of one of the trapeze artists, Zoe. As she neared, he ducked down. Slipping his arms around her, he lifted her high in the air as he hugged her. “Good morning, Zoe!” He exclaimed, smiling widely. “How are you today?”

Cassian's face all but lit up when he saw the little girl rush down from her balancing act atop her mother's head to say hello.

"Good morning, Katya."

He said it with the air of someone addressing an equal.

"We're just here to talk to your mama about today's routine," he continued, casting his smile upwards to Calista at the end of the sentence.

It wasn't necessarily that Cassian disliked talking to Mr. Crom, but he didn't like being reminded how much he was indebted to the ringmaster. Besides, Calista had a warmth to her when she was in a good mood that bordered on motherly. Some of the tension he held in his shoulders unwound as he addressed her directly.

"Is there anything scheduled for us to help with before we start getting prepared for our own acts?"

Alvar Circe

Alvar’s eyes lit up, and a bright smile flashed across his face. He went into a handstand, so that his face was on the same level as the child, his feet pointed up at the sky.

Alvar absolutely loved children, and Katya was no exception. She was precious, and Alvar felt like children were less judgmental, and more kind hearted. Not to say he didn’t like his peers, he just found it easier to talk to children. He swore, they were a different species entirely.

“Good morning, Katya! How are you?” He said playfully after Cassian had spoken. His face and the top of his ears tinted blue from a happy blush, and his crown nearly falling off his head. He looked to Mr. Crom after he had greeted the child, still in his hand stand. “Good morning to you as well, Mr. Crom, Ms. Calista. I also wanted to ask about using my special water equipment for tonight; I heard it was important.” He spoke almost nervously, but smiled, before turning his attention back to the sweet girl in front of him.

mochi bun mochi bun Lunar Lunar

Last edited:

Maxwell nods in acceptence at Calista's response, then he turns his head to the two who just arrived. "Why do almost all of you have white hair? It is quite straining on my eyes!" He exclaims as he over-dramatically shields his eyes. After he puts his arm down, he bids a good-morning to the two and answers Alvar's question. "Ah yes, that would be great dear Alvar, though don't spoil it during the opening act, I do wish for everyone's participation in it! We must show them a taste of what we're about!" Maxwell smiles and places both of his hands on his cane. "Tonight is expected to be our biggest crowd yet; I saw us in the papers last night!" He shouts as he throws one hand up, slowly pantomiming a headline; "Freakshow houses supernatural talents! We will be slammed packed so all of you need to be your best and look your best tonight...though being on your best behavior is optional." He winks at them after saying the last part with a deep crusty chuckle.

Suddenly another pair of arms appear from Maxwell's back and loudly snap.
"Mrs. Strings! Anne! Hit the Calliope, my ears are thirsty for some music!" The arms then receed back into him, and after a few seconds pass, a eerie but delightful sound can be heard from the direction of Maxwell's wagon.

Code by @Goldieloxx

Interactions: mochi bun mochi bun Meme Machine Meme Machine Wandering Seraph Wandering Seraph

Last edited:
Alvar Circe

Alvar laughed a little, and saluted to the Ring Master, balancing on one hand. His blush got a little deeper from the blood rushing to his head, and he stood up straight. In all honesty, he knew that Cassian had blonde hair, while Alvar had white, but he wasn’t gonna say anything about that. In fact, Alvar was thinking of dying his hair. But he dismissed that.

“Then, that’s perfect! I have a brand new outfit.... tonight would be perfect to use it!!” Alvar muttered underneath his breath, and bit his thumb. His eyes sparkled with excitement, and a small smile fell into place across his features. Alvar loved trying new outfits, and using his water equipment. He suddenly jumped up and down in excitement, quietly squealing. “I can’t belive we were in the paper! This is so exciting!! I wonder who’s going to come...? What if someone famous comes! I just am so....”

Alvar stopped as he relized the tangent he went off on. He stood up straight, his face bright blue. He suppressed a nervous smile, and looked up at Ms. Calista and Mrs. Crom.

“Sorry.... I’m just kinda excited....” He twirled some hair around his finger, and shuffled his feet kinda awkwardly. He backed up just a little, and if he was honest? He wanted to D I E in that moment.

Cassian was accustomed to the ringmaster's eccentricity and Alvar's excitability, but Mrs. String's calliope tune caught him off guard. If the sun hadn't been peeking over the horizon, he might have shuddered. Cassian was familiar with the oddities of the circus to the point that they were routine, but Mr. Crom's puppets had never quite managed to leave the uncanny valley. Something about the way they moved unsettled him. The gaudy theatricality of the interaction delayed the remark he meant to make earlier.

"It's blonde, Monsieur Crom" he finally muttered, less teasing than he had originally intended it and more meek.

Alvar had fallen silent as well. Mr. Crom tended to have that effect on people.

__
Interactions: Meme Machine Meme Machine Lunar Lunar mochi bun mochi bun

Calista Savas 2759a88d26c1c304c2012bf1fdb78e94.jpg
Calista tilted her head at Cassian’s question, brows raised. The performers weren’t often assigned any extra chores during show days. “No,” she said, one of her hands drifting to rest against the railing of the steps. “We don’t normally schedule morning shifts for any of the trope during performance days. Just focus on yourself; you shouldn't have anything else to worry about.” A smile graced her lips, although she faltered slightly as Maxwell raised his voice.

She pressed a hand to her mouth then, eyes drifting over the scene before her. Their ringleader’s eccentrics was truly a whimsical thing, she knew. Somehow, even though he was well-respected, he still had the ability to make a whole group of people uneasy. Dark eyes drifted towards the two boys– they both looked unsure. It was clear they both had probably never spent much time with demons; seen their habits, learned about their lavish lifestyles, spent a lifetime amongst them.

Taking pity, Calista leaned against the doorway to her trailer. “This song never gets old, sir.” She said, grinning up at him with politeness she had practiced since childhood. Her gaze then towards Alvar, noticing the way he sunk into himself.

It’s okay to be excited; we have been attracting more attention these past few weeks than we have in the last couple years.” She spoke, her tone soft. “Hopefully, that means that some humans are finally being a little more tolerant to us.”

Katya had been excited at the attention she had received, smiling at the boys before her. However, the young shapeshifter had been caught unaware by the melody that began to stream from the distance. Her form had moved closer to Cassian, ears flicking back as the music continued to play. The noise was loud enough to make her face scrunch up, tucking herself closer to the two performers.

Calista immediately picked up on her daughter’s discomfort, eyes narrowing for a moment before relaxing her features. “If we’re done…” Calista glanced towards Maxwell. She didn’t move from the threshold; he still stood on the steps and she wasn’t interested in asking him to move. She had lived with enough higher-ranking demons to keep her manners-in-check. “I was going to make sure everyone is awake. Everyone’s gotta earn their keep somehow.” She said, her gaze flickering down to her daughter.

Standing to attention, Katya immediately moved to stand at the bottom of the steps, ears tucked flat against her skull. Calista hummed, turning her attention to the two boys. “You two should probably go eat before you start. I’m going to head to the cafeteria in a little bit. Is there anything else you need?”

As Maxwell was lightly dancing to the music, Calista said her parting words, suggesting that the performers go eat, the young water-talent became overly excited and merrily bounced around."Sorry... I'm just kind of excited..." Alvar said softly said as he took a few steps back. Maxwell kept dancing and did a quick circle around him before kneeling down to his height. "Hell, as am I friend! Dancing is a good cure, much like how young rabbits 'bink' when they're excited, it lets out the energy and it is also fun, so dance boy!" He then twirls around and continues for a few seconds before Cassian curtly replied to the hair remark. "It's blonde, Monsieur Crom." The music stopped abruptly and Maxwell immediately froze in his position; he stood on one leg mid-twirl. The corner of his curved smile twitched slightly as he stared down at the boy. The Ringleader kept eye-contact for a few moments before ascertaining his serious posture again. "Ah, of course it is my bright-haired friend." He said facetiously in low growled tone as his crooked smile grew wider. He sharply adjusts his hat and states, "Now, there is much work to be done. Be sure to alert me half an hour before the show, I have some business to attend to in my wagon." With that he trots off, his cane making the same old sound as it did earlier that morning.

Maxwell was far out of view by the time he arrived at his wagon. The door creaked softly as he slowly pressed it open and standing in the doorway was Mrs. Strings and Anne covered in some thick substance.
"Your breakfast is ready now, Father." Mrs. Strings said in a high wispy voice; Anne quickly nudged Mrs. Strings and whispered "Stop it! You know he doesn't want us to call him that!" Maxwell's stomach growled deeply as he sneered at the two dolls. He walked forward, pushing them aside and said: "Good, I am...starving." A large smile slowly crept across his face. The door to Maxwell Crom's wagon closed by itself with a deafening slam and the clicking sounds of several bolt-locks could be heard. All of the loud noises drove several crows off of the roof of the wagon, they then flew over the circus grounds, singing their wretched "Caws" as they flew away.

Code by @Goldieloxx

@

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back