Experiences Ever had a really bad experience with another roleplayer?

I'm just sick of Mary Sues on so many levels. And the thing is, I have a really chill definition of what a Mary Sue is because I believe that Mary Sues come from bad writing, not inherently from power. Some characters are obscenely powerful, but are not Mary Sues because they're well-written and their power comes after their personality or is intertwined with their personality in a compelling manner. Other characters are Mary Sues because their excessive power/excessive amount of "special" qualities are a stand in for a personality.

But damn, I'm just so tired of "here are the 17 reasons why my character is special, none of which have anything to do with my writing ability <3".

Yeah I think for me a Mary Sue is defined by player's inability to take criticism or allow their character to face consequences. You can make characters that are overly egotistical, overly powerful, or both work. But the key is to let them be genuinely flawed individuals. Realistically no one is going to want to be around someone who is so far up their own ass they never see the light of day. Eventually even the most patient individual is going to get sick of the attitude.

And power-hungry assholes are just that assholes. They aren't going to be well-liked and admired by everyone around them. Sure some people might cozy up if their the type to want to be near power. But not every person under the sun.

Which I think is a lot of times where the more "Mary Sue"-ish writing comes in. As it focuses on forcing a particular reaction from the audience to the character and it makes a character who can never be wrong/disliked/or given any kind of lasting flaws.

When in reality writing these people as flawed and shallow individuals is actually a lot more fun. It's like playing a villain, sometimes it's fun to just go over the top and let your character be the most hated person in the roleplay.

Fortunately, as annoying as they are, Mary Sue characters often get stamped out of rps really quickly because, unlike in fanfiction, they can't actually force all the characters around them to love them (not for lack of trying, of course..) and you can spot them from a mile away so they don't get past the CS stage. That being said I have had a few where like, diet Mary Sue characters get in and don't start their bullshit until you're a little bit into the rp, and you're like "you t r i c k e d me"

When it comes to bad experiences, I usually avoid them as I at least try to remain civil with everyone. Though the ones who didn't work out in the end were the ones who were too prickly and humorless for my tastes. One in particular was very cranky and irritable to everyone. His bad attitude alienated even me, forcing potential RP ideas to be cut short.

{🇳🇴}_-So,One time,On Facebook on A roleplaying Group,There was this Arabic dude,Lets call him...
James,
So James,
At first he was super chill and his Grammar was pretty bad,But I didn't care...like at all..
Anyway,He became my Roleplaying partner,We would roleplay alot of *Ahem*
But he would always be up my butt,about a roleplay..
I mean seriously,as soon as I came home he began to spam me with aggrevated messages and reasons why I was "Ignoring" him.He would only ever want to do inaproppiate(?) Roleplays..And would like..Force me to..?When I didn't want to??So,Yeah,That is my worst roleplaying experience.. :-/_-//

{🇳🇴}_-So,One time,On Facebook on A roleplaying Group,There was this Arabic dude,Lets call him...
James,
So James,
At first he was super chill and his Grammar was pretty bad,But I didn't care...like at all..
Anyway,He became my Roleplaying partner,We would roleplay alot of *Ahem*
But he would always be up my butt,about a roleplay..
I mean seriously,as soon as I came home he began to spam me with aggrevated messages and reasons why I was "Ignoring" him.He would only ever want to do inaproppiate(?) Roleplays..And would like..Force me to..?When I didn't want to??So,Yeah,That is my worst roleplaying experience.. :-/_-//
Ahh, Facebook RPs. I remember I was part of a huge Danganronpa roleplay community and I had a couple bad experiences there as well. One of which was this guy who tried to get me to do vore with him, and I beat around the bush repeatedly since telling people directly no is still a weakness of mine. We talked on the side and exchanged selfies. I was only 15 at this time and he made a sexual comment about me. I blocked him, but forgot to on my old account. He went to my old account and started whining like “all I wanted was to be your friend” and blah, and so I just blocked him and forgot all about it. Another guy who played Nagito Komaeda basically sent out mass reports whenever things didn’t go his way and thanks to him, 2 of my accounts got security checked (and for us this is a ban because we’re using fake names)

Ahh, Facebook RPs. I remember I was part of a huge Danganronpa roleplay community and I had a couple bad experiences there as well. One of which was this guy who tried to get me to do vore with him, and I beat around the bush repeatedly since telling people directly no is still a weakness of mine. We talked on the side and exchanged selfies. I was only 15 at this time and he made a sexual comment about me. I blocked him, but forgot to on my old account. He went to my old account and started whining like “all I wanted was to be your friend” and blah, and so I just blocked him and forgot all about it. Another guy who played Nagito Komaeda basically sent out mass reports whenever things didn’t go his way and thanks to him, 2 of my accounts got security checked (and for us this is a ban because we’re using fake names)
{🇳🇴}_-Blech,I get alot of vore Rp's in PM and messaging,It's pretty annoying,espaically,that they will force Gross interaction that no one wants to do *ALOT OF FORCED SEXUAL INTERACTION*_-//

Okay, so I’ve mentioned multiple times in other threads that I used to be in this crossover roleplay on the Roblox forums, and I vaguely mentioned like once I was in this other superhero roleplay, but I haven’t mentioned before that I also used to be in this realistic family roleplay. Emphasis on realistic.

Alright, so at first the roleplay is going fine, I play this anti-social geek who likes baking that is possibly one of the worst characters I have ever made, and everything is golden. Then this one gal playing a younger child starts doing some very...interesting things. Broken bones gained in very odd ways, getting fingers sawed off accidentally, kidnappings, all within a pretty small timeframe. Multiple times she was called out for being really unrealistic, and every time she was pretty bitter and all “hmmph, fine” about it, but apparently the time she was called out after the finger accidentally getting sawed off was the last straw, and she lashed out at us.

I wish I could say this was the only time she was like this, too. She started this superhero roleplay, and after things got really interesting and plotted with some of the more experienced roleplayers, with her additionally kinda abandoning the roleplay, the guys made a second version of it. She went absolutely fucking ballistic about how the idea was stolen, even though she basically had given up with it.

Eventually she came back and admitted that she pulled some BS in the family roleplay. But man, she was really childish back in the roleplay’s prime.

Last edited:
Okay so on this Amino App I roleplay on there was once this girl who had a blind OC. It was cool and I didn't mind that part because it added more to the RP,and my OC (the "best friend"), of this character took great care in her dear friend. Anyway it wasn't the RP itself that was a problem, but my RP partner. Okay, I'm very introverted and I don't check my phone much. And sometimes I just like scrolling through Amino liking posts and stuff. She would message me. So I'd reply to the RP and her message then tell her I'm going to bed or be busy soon.

I'd leave my phone for let's say an hour. I'd come back to 25+ messages of either "hi" or "are we friends?" Or something of the likes.

It was terrible
I miss her character she was pretty cool but the role-player herself- no no,never again.

Okay, so I’ve mentioned multiple times in other threads that I used to be in this crossover roleplay on the Roblox forums, and I vaguely mentioned like once I was in this other superhero roleplay, but I haven’t mentioned before that I also used to be in this realistic family roleplay. Emphasis on realistic.

Alright, so at first the roleplay is going fine, I play this anti-social geek who likes baking that is possibly one of the worst characters I have ever made, and everything is golden. Then this one gal playing a younger child starts doing some very...interesting things. Broken bones gained in very odd ways, getting fingers sawed off accidentally, kidnappings, all within a pretty small timeframe. Multiple times she was called out for being really unrealistic, and every time she was pretty bitter and all “hmmph, fine” about it, but apparently the time she was called out after the finger accidentally getting sawed off was the last straw, and she lashed out at us.

I wish I could say this was the only time she was like this, too. She started this superhero roleplay, and after things got really interesting and plotted with some of the more experienced roleplayers, with her additionally kinda abandoning the roleplay, the guys made a second version of it. She went absolutely fucking ballistic about how the idea was stolen, even though she basically had given up with it.

Eventually she came back and admitted that she pulled some BS in the family roleplay. But man, she was really childish back in the roleplay’s prime.

Oh my goodness this sounds absolutely horrible. I especially dislike the RP situation with the child getting hurt and what not. I would have left immediately.

But dang I don't know how you all managed to deal with her and her attitude. I would've flipped out completely.

I hope you never deal with that again omg.

Obligatory "did not happen to me, but" I had a friend who used to RP for years with this one guy. Eventually, she fell in love with him.

Turns out, he was actually a she. Pretty sure they had a fight, and my friend couldn't get a hold of this person since then.

Some year or two pass, and my friend finds out that this woman took their RP and published it. Not a single thing was changed - same names, same backgrounds, etc. No credit given to my friend, obviously. Not sure if the book was popular at all, I don't have its name to look it up. But still, it's a fucked up thing to do.

Obligatory "did not happen to me, but" I had a friend who used to RP for years with this one guy. Eventually, she fell in love with him.

Turns out, he was actually a she. Pretty sure they had a fight, and my friend couldn't get a hold of this person since then.

Some year or two pass, and my friend finds out that this woman took their RP and published it. Not a single thing was changed - same names, same backgrounds, etc. No credit given to my friend, obviously. Not sure if the book was popular at all, I don't have its name to look it up. But still, it's a fucked up thing to do.

I kinda feel like that book must have failed miserably though. If you don't totally rewrite a RP, it is horrible to read. (I turned one of mine into a short story once and it needed a ton of work).

One person would auto-hit all the time. Then they would complain when I get tired of them doing it and kind of ghosting them (I would still be online but would be focusing on other rps, or god forbid, looking for other rps). When we finally finished the rp, they said "Your character was too lax about everything. It seemed he didn't give a (censored) about the situation"

Yeah, I haven't rped with them since.

There was a RPer who wanted to do MxM with the children on stranger things, they saw I liked the show and contacted me. I told them I was not into that and it weirded me out to do that with children and their response was more than hostile. Lol. They got a temp ban and I still see them occasionally lurking around.

Oh man, gather around the fire y'all...

First off, when I was younger I went by an alias. I often wouldn't let people know my gender when it came to RPing, I preferred to be an anonymous writer.
This was wayyyyy back in the Oasiz Chat days, about 8-10 years ago. I usually only played male characters back then. There was this one typist who ran a RP chatroom called the "Neko Inn Hot Springs." I would usually go in there and lurk, occasionally post and cause some shit, then leave.

But the owner of that room....she became obsessed with me. Absolutely no shame either, she would constantly try and get nasty with my characters. It didn't matter on the race. One time I came in with a Centaur and she even wanted a piece of that. She would often message me OOC, so I decided to tell her I was a guy, as to avoid crushing her little soul. Which was a huggeee mistake. She started taking those OOC chats pretty heavy and told me some really gross things about herself. I didn't go back, i'm still scarred for life.

Alright there was this one group, in hindsight I screwed up, because I forgot to read something, but everyone started getting on my case and and basically went for my throat. Then it got worse, since it wasn’t just me, if anyone else made a mistake they would get straight up get toxic and start fighting. I left that group.

There was also this GM who killed off my character, out of nowhere for having an ability he considered too OP, when he was the one who approved it. He didn’t just message me to try and nerf the ability, he just kills my character off suddenly.

Oh and there was this other person on a different forum, who basically made generic rps. While the forum members just ignored them, until the rps they made started to be more articulate out of nowhere. A bit of searching and it was found out that this person plagiarized several RPs. They went to being the forum’s public enemy number one after that.

I had one a distinctly horrible experience that still kinda sticks with me cause I'm hella petty.

I was making an RP on the Geeking app, and I was super proud of it. I had put at least a full day or two of work into writing up the plot and everything. It a while ago so I don't remember all the details but the bare bones it was about a group of serial killers and such teaming up in like a post-apocalyptic world. Anyway, my serial killer was a young successful doctor who due to trauma with his family in his past kidnapped people to force them into family roles with him to try and correct his memories and feel like he had control than would kill them and be fine for a while before restarting the process.

This person proceeded to join, rip on my character. Saying he was too unrealistic because he was successful and had been able to be accepted into society and could hide his crazy. I tried to be nice and explain that if he couldn't blend into society he would have been caught etc. etc, but then the thing that makes me mad to this day happened... they insisted that another unrealistic thing about him, was that he was too handsome saying "Serial killers can't be good looking, their crazy." and was demanding I change my character in my own rp. Other people were really confused too since their characters fc's were conventionally attractive as well but they just had a problem with me it seemed?

So that person was blocked, but they proceeded to tell their friends I was unreasonable and only made mary sue/gray sue characters and stole my plots. This totally killed my confidence for months since I'm very nervous by nature about being unoriginal and being accused of stealing ideas.

My worse experience by far.

I'm probably going to sound extremely petty and whiny, but I have a little list going on for this:

1. The liar with the Mary Sue
- This person made me realise just how much I hate Mary Sue characters. We had a 1x1 RP with even genders (which I think most people call doubling here), and you name it, her female character could do it. Granted, it was an anime-style RP, but this character had purple hair and eyes, was pretty, beautiful, got perfect grades and always ranked first in class, was super athletic and could play any form of sport or martial arts, every single person who saw her loved her. At the same time, her parents and sibling had abandoned her, she was [trigger warning] raped by a guy and found out she was pregnant on the same day, had an abortion, and get this: literally died and came back to life. And she was just a high school student, maybe 17 or 18 years old.
- My partner always wanted the spotlight for this character of theirs. "Oh, your male collapsed after an intense basketball game? My girl's enemy is challenging her, see." "Oh my, you want your female to get a little attention by being confessed to by some random guy? Well too bad, the math teacher just kissed my girl so now she's got all the attention again." You have no idea just how much this got on my nerves.
- For some reason, they always wanted to lie to me? They said they drew all our characters by using a mouse and Paint Tool Sai, and when I found the games site they had used to just make the characters, they said, "Oh, you know, I actually draw a lot for that site's games." Also, whenever I expressed interest in anything, they pretended to like it too, and when asked who their favourites, just replied with "aaah I can't decide I like everyone". This happened more than once.
- We used to pretty much stay in touch on a daily basis, but one day after I had had enough with our RP (there was no plot anymore) and told them that I can't continue, they completely ignored me, and didn't even have the etiquette to reply.

2. The 'sub lover'
- Always loved playing the somewhat meek, smaller, helpless characters.
- Gave nothing but one liners after a few posts.
- If you had a 1x1 going on with them and it was your turn to post, they'd post about it being your turn in a group RP you were in. Didn't even have the decency to send a PM.

I'm so sorry that this ended up being so huge, I had been keeping this to myself for the past few years and just had to rant.

One of my guy characters I didn't play for a very long time, because for some godforsaken reason it pretty much led to some girl crushing on him and then projecting it onto me. I'm not like this guy, so this usually led to very annoying results. First one to a very uncomfortable private RP with what I suspect was underwear shots of herself, the second and third time this happened to them actually trying to date me. None of this would be that bad but if people start projecting a character onto you who isnt you and constantly blend in-character with out of character, you need to pull the stops.

So I'll do a disclaimer here, none of these experiences happened here on RPN, these have all happened with groups not from the site. But it is nice to talk about it as well I can remain a lot more anonymous here, no chance of these people seeing this and knowing I am talking about them. These are all from Dungeons and Dragons games.

In party drama forbidden

So this was more recent but see my character and another character were going to have some in character drama, me and the player know each other really well, like we know each other IRL so we knew none of this was in any way being mean to the other as a player. We got the issues started in character, this was going to be a good arc for both of us with my character being the person that wants to be free and not be held down, she can handle herself but this Paladin was extremely protective as she saw my character as the little sister she lost. And so the issues arised between them it was going well... until the party druid stepped in threatening to beat the snot out of my character and saying the paladin had done nothing wrong and how my character was being rude and inconsiderate and stay down as the damsel in distress. Funny thing my character was against it and the druid kept their word and beat up my character, and as a player threatened to kill my character the next time she ever attempted to cause drama in the party. I am currently looking for another group because I hate this guy a lot.

You can't kill the Murderhobo even if that is what your character would do

This was a story that is even to this day still angers me, still very recent, like last week.

Now for those of you that know roleplay you know it's important to be your character. And in D&D this holds true as well, unlike this person who believes that if my character is against innocent people being killed then I have bad manners and am incredibly rude. This pissed me off due to a few reasons

1. My character was a lawful good Half dark elf that was an ambassador for a group of dark elves that wanted piece, by all means this incident involving the captain of the town guard being shot by a party member put my character in horribly hot water. It could lead to heavy political ramifications.

2: Player freedom has gone out the window with this comment, I as a player have a freedom to do what I want (so long as it lines up with how my character thinks) and this whole comment just says that is not allowed have your lawful good character look at this and say it's fine that a man that she knew personally and knew he was probably the nicest person she encountered is about to be murdered! Which honestly angers me to the point of near explosion.

Worst experience I ever had was a few years ago, someone asked to see a DnD world. Their irl Int score was about 2, and they dropped their sue into the world without even asking any basic questions. It went as well as you could expect. Like stealing the equipment of an adventurer from an occupied camp and getting mad when confronted about it. It physically hurt me.

The real Komaeda would NEVER

Man. Two years ago I had a group on Skype and we had this rraaaaad roleplay concept going, but this *one* dude in particular was mainly interested in starting NSFW interactions between mine and his character, and would go as far as to try to pull me into DMs for it.

A grown woman pressured me (who at the time was 14 years old) to roleplay piss porn between our characters...

It was a zombie apocalypse roleplay-... I- I still don't understand, I still get nauseous thinking about it.

When I was thirteen, some 34-year-old creep-asshat-douche tried to get me to RP as myself with himself in a 'daddy-daughter kink reliever' thing. Not just like, DDLG or whatever, but he wanted me to call him Father or Dad.

Take a guess what website I was cruising because the creepy eighteen-year-old who peeked into my windows suggested it. Go ahead. Guess. Guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back