Experiences Ever had a really bad experience with another roleplayer?

KokichiLove

This World Is Mine!
Please don’t name names because that’s just a flame war waiting to happen. Anyways, have you ever interacted with another role player and you just couldn’t have a good experience with them?

I remember on another roleplay forum (can’t even remember which one), I saw this roleplay I was interested and the OP said that only real pictures were allowed. At that time I was more familiar with anime pictures and it was easier for me to find good pictures that way. So I went to her OOC and asked why we couldn’t use anime pictures. I can’t remember exactly what was said but she seemed to get extremely butthurt about it and deleted my post with the reason “no one asked for your opinion” and made a public post on my profile saying I wasn’t allowed in any of her roleplays. So I go to her profile and make a post saying I was sorry for what I said, and how I felt she also crossed a line when all I did was ask a question. Well, the person deleted my post again and went to my profile and told me that I was more out of line than she was and told me that she hoped no one would roleplay with me. Um, I apologized for what I did and expressed myself in a polite manner? I decided at this point I was done being nice. I sent her a private message saying that deleting my posts and publicly humiliating me and making me seem like the bad guy was a cowardly move and she should be very ashamed, and that in turn I hoped all her roleplays died. I might have included some profanities. She never reported me but then she blocked me. I told my friends privately not to roleplay with her because she said and did those things.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

So, this happened on a different roleplay site.

The character I played was an asshole and so she, not surprisingly, treated other characters in shitty ways. I was friendly OOC, mind you, but there was this girl who took great offense to every single thing my character did. Actually, that's not right; she was even offended by my character's negative thoughts about her character and messaged me privately multiple times to ask why I was so mean to her. I tried to clarify that I had no problem with her personally and that I was just playing my character, but she refused to understand and picked fights with me in the OOC thread constantly. I ended up quitting because the atmosphere turned pretty sour.

So, this happened on a different roleplay site.

The character I played was an asshole and so she, not surprisingly, treated other characters in shitty ways. I was friendly OOC, mind you, but there was this girl who took great offense to every single thing my character did. Actually, that's not right; she was even offended by my character's negative thoughts about her character and messaged me privately multiple times to ask why I was so mean to her. I tried to clarify that I had no problem with her personally and that I was just playing my character, but she refused to understand and picked fights with me in the OOC thread constantly. I ended up quitting because the atmosphere turned pretty sour.

I totally know what you mean. The same happened to me, but then this guy ate my character's chocolate bar. It was the chocolate bar my character had been saving for years; and they ate It. So, In turn, I had my character take a dump on their character's forehead as they slept. It was a big smelly log of dodo. Then my character ate all the chocolate In their home; like a rabid animal; smearing It across their own face. Then I had my character take another dump on their face, and thats when I had them lite the house on fire right before stealing their character's horse. I had them ride Into the night and that was the.... end. My vengeance was sweet and absolutely justifiable. TO HELL WITH FIENDS WHO THINK THEY CAN GET AWAY WITH STEALING MY CHOCOLATE RESERVES!!

I totally know what you mean. The same happened to me, but then this guy ate my character's chocolate bar. It was the chocolate bar my character had been saving for years; and they ate It. So, In turn, I had my character take a dump on their character's forehead as they slept. It was a big smelly log of dodo. Then my character ate all the chocolate In their home; like a rabid animal; smearing It across their own face. Then I had my character take another dump on their face, and thats when I had them lite the house on fire right before stealing their character's horse. I had them ride Into the night and that was the.... end. My vengeance was sweet and absolutely justifiable. TO HELL WITH FIENDS WHO THINK THEY CAN GET AWAY WITH STEALING MY CHOCOLATE RESERVES!!
ha, what?

Oooh boy.

FETISH GIRL
So this girl was on another site and she tried to turn one of my magical girl roleplays into her own personal harem fetish. She wanted me to play some "big bouncy boobed" woman who humiliated other women for sexual gratification. Needless to say I blocked that account and moved on my merry way. Well apparently she got a new account because the same person answered a different search thread where I said I wasn't interested in sexually explicit contact.

Got all snotty about me being a "prude" because I wouldn't let adults get sexual with one another. Never mind that I hadn't specified any of the characters be adult. And then not only that but when I refused to change my mind or let her browbeat me she turns around and accuses ME of wasting HER time. Like bitch you messaged me. So I blocked account number two.

DON'T CRITICIZE ME!!!
So this isn't one individual person so much as a long series of people who would randomly decide to drop a roleplay the second they felt criticized. Now I'll admit I can be a blunt person and I do try to apologies if I'm genuinely being overbearing. But some people fly off the handle if you are anything other than blindly blowing smoke up their ass. Had someone flounce off in a huff because I dared to not lavish abject adoration on their idea. I said it was "fine". Which was a cardinal sin and had them quitting the roleplay.

NO HOMOS ALLOWED
So had someone contacting me for a roleplay who had very specific tastes. I was helping them out and they asked if I would be interested in a roleplay. I can't even remember what the basic premise was, some romantic thing. I asked if I could make my character asexual? Since I liked to use that as a means of writing in my lack of skill with romance and just because I think it adds some organic drama to the roleplay.

This person goes on a whole rant about how both characters had to be straight and she was a Good Christian who didn't support homosexuality. How it was wrong and immoral and blah blah blah.... And I'm like. "Firstly, that was overly antagonistic for a simple question, a no would have sufficed. Secondly, I said asexual which is someone who does not feel sexual attraction. It's basically a chaste individual."

To which she said I shouldn't have tried to trick her (????) and that she wanted the characters to be straight. Again with the whole Christian thing.

Needless to say I ran from her like a bat out of hell.

rae2nerdy rae2nerdy To your third one, people like that make me cringe. Especially since there are a LOT of Christians out there nowadays (including myself) who support people who are LGBTQ, and some are even on that spectrum. I don’t think it’s right to use your religion as an excuse to be a homophobe

Excuse me for the vent here, it's not personal it's just the last drop for me, what's with all these complain threads? It'd be one thing if at least there was something productive or unique about the thread but this...this just...no...

Excuse me for the vent here, it's not personal it's just the last drop for me, what's with all these complain threads? It'd be one thing if at least there was something productive or unique about the thread but this...this just...no...
I was just intending to make a thread for people to vent about their past experiences. It may not be the most unique but I’d consider it somewhat productive.

And nothing personal from me either but if it’s not your cup of tea you don’t have to be here either

I was just intending to make a thread for people to vent about their past experiences. It may not be the most unique but I’d consider it somewhat productive.

And nothing personal from me either but if it’s not your cup of tea you don’t have to be here either
You're absolutely right that I don't, but I just couldn't bear not saying it anymore. I'm sorry.

It fosters a sense of community, as you are well aware RPN is a haven for individuals who do not necessarily have the greatest social skills IRL or online. So these threads offer them a chance to air grievances in a way that let's them get things off their chest without feeling like they are attacking others or they might be attacked in turn.

It allows people to see that they aren't alone. That their experiences don't exist in a vacuum and there are other people who might have similar problems. Or on the flip side it will show people differing opinions and might give them some insight into how other people view an issue.

I mean as the OP said, you don't have to participate. You can ignore the threads if you don't want them cluttering up your view of the forum. You just ignore the OP (you can still view their other posts if you click show ignored content anywhere on the site).

I do that all the time in the interest check section when I see people with like three different threads that I'm not interested in. I can always look at their stuff elsewhere but it makes the interest forum easier to navigate to just ignore them temporarily.

rae2nerdy rae2nerdy To your third one, people like that make me cringe. Especially since there are a LOT of Christians out there nowadays (including myself) who support people who are LGBTQ, and some are even on that spectrum. I don’t think it’s right to use your religion as an excuse to be a homophobe

Yeah I think it's something to do with being sheltered. The times I've run into it were from individuals who had never really had to interact with people who had different life experiences to them. I mean that's not an excuse either, they were also all in their mid thirties. So grown enough to know the old adage "If you can't think of something nice to say, stay off social media until you can speak without cursing." Or however it goes.

It fosters a sense of community, as you are well aware RPN is a haven for individuals who do not necessarily have the greatest social skills IRL or online. So these threads offer them a chance to air grievances in a way that let's them get things off their chest without feeling like they are attacking others or they might be attacked in turn.

It allows people to see that they aren't alone. That their experiences don't exist in a vacuum and there are other people who might have similar problems. Or on the flip side it will show people differing opinions and might give them some insight into how other people view an issue.

I mean as the OP said, you don't have to participate. You can ignore the threads if you don't want them cluttering up your view of the forum. You just ignore the OP (you can still view their other posts if you click show ignored content anywhere on the site).

I do that all the time in the interest check section when I see people with like three different threads that I'm not interested in. I can always look at their stuff elsewhere but it makes the interest forum easier to navigate to just ignore them temporarily.

What gets to me is the sheer volume of those though. If they were at least actually different that would be one thing, but as it stands there's some massive overlap between them. That in my eyes just fosters people to be constantly thinking about the negatives and keeping scores rather than feeling relieved from the vents. Hence the annoyance.

That said, I'll make this my last post on this thread so that I don't start anything bigger than what I already did.

What gets to me is the sheer volume of those though. If they were at least actually different that would be one thing, but as it stands there's some massive overlap between them. That in my eyes just fosters people to be constantly thinking about the negatives and keeping scores rather than feeling relieved from the vents. Hence the annoyance.

That said, I'll make this my last post on this thread so that I don't start anything bigger than what I already did.

Well think of it like this - I love the Harry Potter books but hate JK Rowling's post book canon additions. And if you ask me my honest opinion of the series I'll probably mention that at least once. (with or without long tangents on why)

That does not mean that I now hate Harry Potter or even JK Rowling herself. Nor does it mean I can no longer enjoy the series because I might have some negative feelings about parts of it.

It's the same thing with roleplay. If you are passionate about roleplay in any meaningful way than chances are you are equally passionate about the things in roleplay that aren't your cup of tea. I could spend the next ten years re-hashing the same gripes and complaints about roleplays and never get bored. Because, for one thing there is always other people's experiences which I find interesting. And it's nice to talk to people about a shared interest, even if it's not always in a roses and sunshine manner.

Because I don't consider this negativity. If I was really negative about roleplay I wouldn't say anything at all. I would quit. And I have done exactly that in the past. I have quit because the toxicity got to be too much and I could no longer take roleplaying.

But this? This isn't negativity. It's people sharing the crappy things that have happened to them and maybe having a bit of laugh along the way. Or at least feeling good about the bullets they dodged.

About the worst I can recall is when a bunch of RPers ditched me at once because of some OOC stuff I said.

The worst experiences I've had with other role-players, Involved really bad grammar. It's like they new I was secretly a grammar nazi and purposely made abhorrent grammar mistakes just to cause me physical suffering. So In anger, I did a little research and located where they all lived. Then I went around the world breaking Into each and everyone of the homes of those heathens and took a huge poo on each and everyone of their beds. Leaving a note that stated, "Grammar Is not a motha fuckin joke (angry face) >:1 and yeah I shat on your bed."

Lets hope they got the message; cause taking a poo on command Is not easy.

The worst experiences I've had with other role-players, Involved really bad grammar. It's like they new I was secretly a grammar nazi and purposely made abhorrent grammar mistakes just to cause me physical suffering. So In anger, I did a little research and located where they all lived. Then I went around the world breaking Into each of homes of those heathens and took a huge poo on each and everyone of their beds. Leaving a note that stated, "Grammar Is not a motha fuckin joke (angry face) >:1 and yeah I shat on your bed."

Wow. Remind me not to piss you off lol

The worst experiences I've had with other role-players, Involved really bad grammar. It's like they new I was secretly a grammar nazi and purposely made abhorrent grammar mistakes just to cause me physical suffering. So In anger, I did a little research and located where they all lived. Then I went around the world breaking Into each and everyone of the homes of those heathens and took a huge poo on each and everyone of their beds. Leaving a note that stated, "Grammar Is not a motha fuckin joke (angry face) >:1 and yeah I shat on your bed."

I just burst out laughing like a moron.

Well, shit, I can't help but to jump on this bandwagon. I had this Matt Murdock/ Elektra role play going. When things first started out we kept our personal lives out of it. He was always pushing me to write more detail and longer paragraphs as well as to respond faster. It's one or the other. It's lengthy replies that take several hours to create or short ass ones with little to no thought. Anyways, we got more comfortable with each other and we got into more personal things. HUGE mistake on my part. I was a dumb kid and very unsure on how to talk to men. Things...got a little bit crazy. He would never tell me his real age and would consistently dart around the question of how old he was, but we would flirt back and fourth. We even shared pictures of each other (Not sexual! Just selfies). I always assumed he was in his twenties. I thought he was at least 23.

Fast forward several months, I found out he was 30. I was only 18 at the time and I was very uncomfortable with a man that age trying to get with me, felt a bit betrayed as well. I expressed that multiple times and he went off the deep end. He decided to put his own personal feelings into Matt. Like he had Matt go off the deep end by threatening to kill himself and he would consistently have this character break down in ugly ways (i.e. Breaking personal shit, hurting my character, lashing out). While this was happening, he would messaged me in OCC chat and talk about how I was being rude because he felt judged for his age and that it wasn't fair. I think he even confessed that he was feeling suicidal again and he was thinking about hanging himself. Anyways, things spiraled out of control and I decided enough was enough. I blocked him on the RP site and I've never talked to him again. I mean, I hope he's doing okay mentally and emotionally. It seemed like he did have some suicidal problems, but I was 18 and not a therapist. I wasn't sure what else to do at the time.

Now, I realize part of this is my own fault. However, I wanted to share this story so that other young role players won't make the same mistake I did. As well as the fact of the matter is....A grown ass man should have been able to handle rejection from an 18 year old. --___--

So --Nero-- --Nero-- while I can't speak for your actual experience I don't think that man was really suicidal because you rejected him. What your describing sounds more like a grown man having a temper tantrum because you dared to remind him that you are a fully sentient person.

Now he might have been suicidal due to unrelated reasons of mental health. But he was not going to kill himself because you rejected him. He was trying to use scare-tactics to make you sorry that you didn't give him his own way.

The same way a toddler might throw themselves on the ground and thrash around howling like their being beaten because you didn't give them a toy they wanted.

A related point to everyone - Mental illness does not excuse bad behavior. No one has the right to use their mental illness as an excuse to make you feel uncomfortable, unsafe, or just shitty in general.

Anyone who acts as if their mental illness is a free pass to bad behavior is a shitty person and is not someone you should be interacting with.

Additional PSA - No one is entitled to you dating them. So if you find yourself in an uncomfortable position where your partner misconstrued some of your interactions it is absolutely okay for you to walk away.

You don't owe them an explanation. You aren't "leading them on". You are not a bad person because you do not feel like entering a relationship with them.

If they react in the manner of the previous post than report them to the Staff. Say that they are making you uncomfortable and you are do not want them to contact you any more. On this site there isn't really a full block feature so I would talk to the Staff about your options.

You can do that in the staff contact section and it's entirely anonymous. No one but the Staff will see the information and they will be able to help you proceed forward.

( and thus ends this very special post by geek )

Oh, I had a really bad experience with a roleplayer...

*looks at mirror*

I continue to have bad experiences with him to this day.

On one in-game RP thing (gmod) someone got mad at me because my character bled to death while he was giving medical treatment. He called me a powergamer for dying. It was funny.

I'm just sick of Mary Sues on so many levels. And the thing is, I have a really chill definition of what a Mary Sue is because I believe that Mary Sues come from bad writing, not inherently from power. Some characters are obscenely powerful, but are not Mary Sues because they're well-written and their power comes after their personality or is intertwined with their personality in a compelling manner. Other characters are Mary Sues because their excessive power/excessive amount of "special" qualities are a stand in for a personality.

But damn, I'm just so tired of "here are the 17 reasons why my character is special, none of which have anything to do with my writing ability <3".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back