Other Ever Felt Overwhelmed?

Sir Aizen

Insecure Writer
Good day, RpNation! Today, I ask this- how do each of you cope with being overloaded with. . . anything! Work, requests, or other small things? I'm interested!

That is a good question, first I take a step back, then take a few deep breaths, and say a prayer. I find that praying really helps me to relax and feel less burdened.

I also have found it helpful to remind myself that I am fortunate, and while I feel like I am struggling it will get better. 'This too shall pass' and 'All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you' are two quotes I like to think about as it helps put things in perspective. Being overwhelmed will eventually pass and I can either spend my time focusing on that feeling or I can take steps to alleviate whatever is bothering. So why not take those steps so I can feel like I can breath easier sooner.

Hope this made some sense.

When I'm overwhelmed, I usually have one of two reactions. If I'm able to, I let myself break away from the issues, leave them be for a while, while I think about what I should do about overcoming them. The other way I react... is badly. If I'm unable to do the first method, I don't tend to have much of a plan and just kinda act, trying to fix whatever problem I'm having. Sometimes it works, but mostly it doesn't. Needless to say, I prefer the first method.

When I find myself getting overwhelmed, I am not good at responding. I tend to close my mind more and to get caught ina stress loop I call freezes, leaving things to accumulate more and more and getting more easily distracted which in turn only fuels the stress further. Honestly the only way I can get out of it at all is to methodically take care of things step by step and pray I can outpace the accumulation.

I feel overwhelmed all the time. 8D
I don't have very good coping mechanisms. Usually how I get through it is I cry, I might write in a journal for a little bit, I'll talk to some people, and then keep on going.
It all becomes a huge snowball and I downspiral. But I'm trying to find some coping mechanisms.
I plan to start gardening soon, and I actually started telling my jobs "no" to coming in on my days off when I have them.

crying is the absolute best definitely
usually, when i'm overwhelmed i tend to think on whatever overwhelmed me a lot and try to rationalise it in my head. that, or i try to look on the bright side: this is definitely some fodder for some ocs or something.

I guess people deal with being overwhelmed based on their personality. I'm quite particular and set in my routine, and so if I find myself overloaded with work and stuff to do, I will separate it out over a period of about a week depending on what I need to do. Like, if I find myself behind on work, I usually write down everything that I have to do, and I make checklists. Then what I'd do is do them all at my own pace throughout a day, and check them all off when I finish.
Of course, being overwhelmed emotionally is different ^^ Sometimes, a good cry will make you feel better, and although it does sound a bit cheezy, blurting out your feelings onto paper or into a diary is actually surprisingly helpful. Acknowledging your feelings and actually sitting down and really considering what's making you overwhelmed and why it's got so out of hand can be a great help in figuring out how to put it right ^^ I tend to find that once I can actually LOOK at all of my thoughts written down in words, I then find it so much easier to think rationally about it and come to a solution ^^

I usually cry when I’m overwhelmed. But when I can, I resort to venting to my friends. It’s good knowing you’re not alone and that people are looking out for you. It gives me the courage to keep going. The idea of being overwhelmed emotionally is one of the reasons I wanted to join rpn cause I wanted to bond over people with similar interests like writing, rp, and possibly other things and to find a hobby to keep me occupied when school starts

I get overwhelmed when I'm in huge crowds or around loud noises, so I get a small plastic figurine or a set of magic dice to play with

I usually cry when I’m overwhelmed. But when I can, I resort to venting to my friends. It’s good knowing you’re not alone and that people are looking out for you. It gives me the courage to keep going. The idea of being overwhelmed emotionally is one of the reasons I wanted to join rpn cause I wanted to bond over people with similar interests like writing, rp, and possibly other things and to find a hobby to keep me occupied when school starts
Yeah, I totally getcha there! It's always great to have friends supporting you. I find that one of the best things out there is an ear to listen and a shoulder to cry on, so I try to be that ear and that shoulder for my pals, since they've backed me up so well too. Makes me feel worthwhile, knowing they appreciate me enough to be there for me and trust me to be there for them.
I also joined rpn To look for friends and things to keep me preoccupied, especially now that school's started up.

I think one of the best strategies is to write down EXACTLY what is overwhelming you and why. I find that I feel out of control when I have a million different thoughts going on in my head, but when I take the time to write them down, they somehow seem much more manageable and concrete.

As someone with little to no friends, and more physical and mental conditions than I can count on my fingers and toes, I've found that the best way to deal with being overwhelmed is to just stop. Think back to this morning when I got up, ask if I had eaten breakfast, and if I had gotten everything that I needed for the day together, and, should one of those answers be no, I ask what I can do right now to fix that situation as best as I can. Sometimes it's relying on the generosity of others to help me this time, sometimes it's being resourceful with what I have at the moment and making the most out of what I have.
If that fails, my next step is to get out a snack that I know that I personally enjoy, and eating it. It could be that I was getting peckish, and that was making me anxious, or possibly agitated. Or maybe I just need something to focus on for a little bit while I calm down and let my current problems fade away.

Generally the only times I feel overwhelmed/overloaded is when I’m intensely frustrated because I don’t understand something, have been procrastinating til the last second, or my anxiety is in the process of kicking my butt (but the latter usually happens because I’m already stressed/overloaded).

I’m terrible at dealing with overwhelming frustration because I have a very short temper, so I have to talk myself through it by ranting to myself. I’ll talk about all the things I could do and say out loud and eventually I calm down and relax.

When my anxiety says hi it‘s an entirely different story, though. If it kicks in while I’m overwhelmed then all I can think about is trying to rid myself of the feeling that I’m going to pass out. Mine tends to make me feel light headed and I shake like a leaf from the adrenaline rush, so a lot of simple, small and intricate tasks become next to impossible for me to do. That means no drawing, no writing, nothing like that works for me. Instead I tend to end up doing the exact same thing as when I procrastinate: I clean/organise things in my room and it really helps to calm me down before I get to dealing with whatever’s overwhelming me. If I’m not at home though, I talk to people. Usually online/through IM clients, but they distract me so I don’t have to freak out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back