Etaine Medellin

EredtOgon

etainne_medellin_by_druidpeter-daz27hi.png

Name: Etaine Medellin
Class: Cleric
Class Mastery: * (Don't know how to make the star glyph. Hopefully an asterisk will do. :3)
Race: Human

Short Backstory:

Etaine's mother died giving birth at the port of Nourton, being a refugee from across the Rimsarre gulf. With no one else to care for the child, Etaine was raised by a the novitiates of a small monastery located within the Ironhide Ridge mountain passes. Etaine grew to be a rambunctious and playful child, and was always playing tricks and tinkering with toys. She had the heart of a mechanic and explorer, despite being trained as a cleric in the ways of healing. But she couldn't stay at the monastery forever. With the blessing of her patriarchs, the child Etaine left the monastery at age fifteen. Wandering the world for two years, she eventually made a small home for herself several leagues to the north east of Nourton, just near the southwestern outskirts of the Ironhide Ridge, and close enough to the Rimsarre Gulf to smell salt, though not quite close enough to hear the crashing of the waves or see the lush sparkle of the sea.

Initial Stats: (20 + 4 + 3 + 18 + 10 + 10 + 2)

Health: 20 (+4) [24]
Mana: 10 (+2) [12]
Stamina: 4 (+1) [5]
Attack: 2 +1 [3]
Defense: 3 (+1) [4]
Magic: 10 (+2) [12]
Resist: 18 (+4) [22]

Skills & Spells: (Intentionally Left Blank)

Equipment:

Eldrwyddae -- Eldrwyddae is a dual hook chain with one adjustable and one non-adjustable strap between them. The hooks are made from durable steel with inlaid green quartz gemstones. The straps are made of flexible yet strong interwoven fibers of steel, coarse cotton, and silk, each interwoven so as to produce a richly exotic design. The hook chain can be used as an offensive weapon, though it is best suited for stun and shock damage.

As a tool, Eldrwyddae is quite versatile. The straps expand and can be tied together to form a satchel for storage. The hooks are excellent for carving wood, catching small game, and other woodcraft uses. Further, the strap and hooks together are an extremely useful aid for climbing, and may allow the wielder to scale walls and houses quickly and silently. (But not silently in a magical sense) Increases attack by 1.

Kamra's Kiss -- Kamra's Kiss is a small, light green, pendant ocarina engraved with intricate patterns from the lore and order of Kamra. The patterns themselves are puzzles that, when solved, reveal 5 holy songs that the wearer may play on the ocarina. These different songs have different effects, and range from the utilitarian, to the truly divine in terms of level of power. In her travels, and by her training at the monastary, Etaine has been able to solve only one of the puzzles, and hence only knows one of the 5 dirges of Kamra. It is a utilitarian dirge, which removes a hearer from pain and temporarily staunches bleeding. A very useful dirge, indeed, though there are more powerful songs for her to learn.

The Ocarina can also be used play regular music, and has a very lovely tune. :3(I suppose that, in the course of the story, Etaine will end up figuring out all 5 holy dirges. The puzzles actually require that the player take their own inner spiritual state into account, such that the actual dirges will be different for each player. This is also why Etaine couldn't just look up the answers in the lore of her monastery, as each new owner of the Ocarina has to solve the puzzles for themself.) Grants access to five unlockable holy songs - currently at 1 song.

[PLEASE NOTE: Lapis & Lunna and the Beads of Onsawyr are no longer starting equipment. I keep their descriptions here, however, as I would like Etaine to acquire them throughout the RP.]

Lapis & Lunna -- Lapis and Lunna are twin daggers. Lappis is made of Onyx, with razor sharp coral inlaid along the cutting edge of the knife. Lunna, likewise, is made of pale carved coral, with a cutting edge of razor sharp Onyx inlaid along the edge of the blade. When separated or lost, the two blades bring misfortune and death swiftly to their respective masters, but when together an enchantment of protection surrounds their master, allowing the wielder enhanced reaction time and ability to dodge attacks.

Beads of Onsawyr -- The Beads of Onsawyr is a very dangerous relic that Etaine discovered within the Onyx Crypt. The beads are fickle servants. They provide protection against the curses of other artifacts, such as that of Lapis & and Lunna, the twin blades. But one must be careful not to take such protection for granted, as the beads have been known to abandon their masters who ended up collecting too many curses. The beads must be continously tended to and purified via ritual and blood to keep them loyal and satisfied.

The blood demanded/required is in proportion to the malice and wickedness within the heart of the wearer. One who dons the Beads of Onsawyr, then, must be careful to tend to their own spiritual development before using the beads with impunity.

(In regards to Etaine's usage, her upbringing with the monks undoubtedly helps her handle the Beads of Onswayr. Further, with only one set of two cursed relics, Etain is capable enough to handle the beads. Should she lose one or both of the Twin Daggers, the Beads of Onsawyr will protect her from the curse for a time, so that she will have a fighting chance to recover the blades. Having said that, she is not a patriarch level cleric. Her impulsiveness and youth can and does work against her in attempting to control and wear the Beads)

Inventory:

Various plants and herbs for making medicine. Leatherworking and clockmaker's tools (She loves to tinker). A journal in which she writes her thoughts and ideas in from day to day.

Last edited:
Wandering the world for two years, she eventually made a small home for herself in the area between the ridge, the onyx crypt, and the Temple of Crea.

For plot purposes yet to be revealed, I would require you to change the location of her home. Somewhere at south would be preferable, as long as it does not go beyond the Ironhide Ridge.

Eldrwyddae -- Eldrwyddae is a dual hook chain...

Lapis & Lunna -- Lapis and Lunna are twin daggers...

Beads of Onsawyr -- The Beads of Onsawyr is a very dangerous relic...

You have too much raw "power" within these equipment. To avoid power-gaming and completely diminishing the purpose of the stat & class system, I can only allow you one special equipment. Do not worry, you can still have more, it's just you have too much at the start.

A light green Pendant Ocarina that she uses to play dirges and holy songs of power and healing, along with other things.

If she uses it for something like that, it would be part of her equipment, not of her inventory. Anything that will have purpose in combat is in equipment. Inventory is for misc. items such as simple cosmetics, crafting materials, etc.

A fair amount of gold, silver and copper:

Dream Crysts is the world currency. All characters will be allocated their initial amount of DC, so no need to include that.

@Reinhardt, would it be okay then if I started her off with just the ocarina and the dual hook chain, and then have her acquire the twin daggers and the beads of onsawyr later on in the game? The ocarina would likely have to be her starting equipment, due to her being a cleric, but I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with having her just having the ocarina at the beginning. This is especially because I'm not quite sure what spells/skills she might be able to perform with said Ocarina. Thoughts? Also, all right, thanks for informing me about the plot issues and currency issues. I will change her home and drop the gold/silver/copper.

would it be okay then if I started her off with just the ocarina and the dual hook chain, and then have her acquire the twin daggers and the beads of onsawyr later on in the game? The ocarina would likely have to be her starting equipment, due to her being a cleric, but I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with having her just having the ocarina at the beginning. This is especially because I'm not quite sure what spells/skills she might be able to perform with said Ocarina. Thoughts?

Yes, that'd be fine.

However the power levels of the two will be toned down, since both of them would grant you a skill/spell. The chain has two enhancements (cloaking-esque ability & increased damage against dark creatures), and the ocarina would grant you a unique skill (holy song). So, the choices are:

Chain with cloak, then you have the ocarina without a use

Chain with increased damage, and ocarina with no use again

Ocarina with holy song, and chain with regular utility

Chain with cloak, then you have the ocarina without a use

Chain with increased damage, and ocarina with no use again

Ocarina with holy song, and chain with regular utility

Ok. I'll take the third option out of these three. Making the necessary changes right now.

Alright, I will now determine equipment bonuses. A PM regarding the skills will be sent to you shortly.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of these really do a god job of reflecting the character, Reinhardt. You really did a good job with this. I quite like it! I do have a few questions, however. For one thing, what are SP? Skill Points? Do SP simply act as another Mana/Stamina stat? i.e. In order to perform a spell/skill, one has to subtract the skill point cost, and then the mana or stamina stat, depending on whether the skill is a spell or an action? Or does SP act as a sort of threshold value, in that the character only needs to have that number of skill points to perform the skill, but the skill points themselves don't actually get reduced per use?

Hmm... approximately how quickly will Etaine be able to increase her stamina stat? As a starting type of character, it would make sense, given her backstory, that her stamina is her weakest point. With her stamina at the level it is right now, the game should be appropriately challenging, though. As she gets more proficient in her abilities, a Stamina stat of about 7 would really allow her to make full use of all of these skills. Hmm... ok. I like it. Let's do this! Thank you, Reinhardt.

One last thing: Are all of these skills accessible to her right now, at the start of the game? I'm assuming yes, but I thought I'd ask anyway. :3

:edit: @Reinhardt, I just went over the skills section of the system and mechanics thread. All of these are unlockable skills! Ok, excellent! That makes things work out very nicely. I have no problem with this skillset! :^D

Thank you, I had to restart a lot of times since Etaine was a rather unqiue charcater - her class would contradict how she acts, but that what makes her great! 

The conclusion of mixing the usage of Mana and stamina was probably the best idea I had in making her skillset. It was a fun experience, and you too will be able to help out in making her skills. That, however, would occur when your class rating goes up.

I was expecting this to be kept in the PM (to keep the skills as private info, to avoid meta-gaming and whatnot), but since this is simply feedback, it is alright.

I forgot that I placed the link here by mistake, and not in the PM. Lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back