• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic Escape from Deadwood

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Oh, of course, he's an asshole, Avery scoffed internally. He knew plenty of guys like this from his boxing days. The kind who played the solo grandstanding tough guy that didn't need help and only got worse when they were in the most need of kindness. Avery never wasted time on people like that before and present circumstances didn't give him any reason to start. If this guy wanted to stay caught up in a the world where other people were his biggest threat that was his problem. Noir would have to learn his lesson the hard way if he didn't adjust his priorities quickly.

"We don't have time for whatever game you think this is, old man." Avery said shortly with a furrowed brow. He wasn't the type to waste his breath on people he didn't like and Trinity expressed his sentiment well enough anyway. Without another word turned and started to follow after her.

Spencypoo Spencypoo yourlocal-eboyy yourlocal-eboyy

Last edited:
Noir gawked at the two for a minute, looking around all hurriedly. “I- j- I—“ He was practically bouncing, itching to get off of this roof. He conceded. “Ah, j- fine, okay, please. Please help me. It’s only been a few minutes, and I get if you’re not gonna help at all, I’ll just have to live with a broken ankle or something, no biggie.” He said, crossing his arms and looking away, averting his gaze to establish that he wasn’t particularly a fan of giving up his pride.

”I need that ladder to get up and down, God, I’m sorry.” He stated, looking back to the both of them. “Plus, you need me anyway. I’m the only one who can get back there. As a police station would be, it’s a bit hard to get into the weapons with just some basic breaking-and-entering.”. He says this as he kicks a pebble off of the roof. “You whippersnappers settle down, I’ll return your bread, I promise. I haven’t eaten it yet.” He said, trying to give off a sort of joking vibe. “But, yeah. If ya help me down, I’ll help ya’ll out.” God, Noir was internally screaming. He hated this. He hated the ‘pleases’ and the ‘I’m sorrys’, it was horrible.

graytful graytful , Spencypoo Spencypoo

Avery stopped as Noir's frantic back-peddling began. A small "I told you so" smile crept onto his face, but it was gone by the time he turned around. He made sharp eye contact with the man before walking silently back to the ladder, lifting it, and propping it against the roof.

"Was that so hard?" Avery asked, clearly not looking for an answer. It was then that he heard the glass breaking around the corner and not a moment later the car alarm in the town center stopped blaring. Without waiting, Avery rushed around the corner to check on Trinity.

"What was that?" He asked, but realized pretty quickly it was a pointless question. He could tell just from observation that Trinity found her own way in. Avery smiled. "Ah, good. If you can't find a way make one."

He walked to the newly shattered window and peered inside. It was dark. He listened. He heard groaning a ways off, like it was echoing down the hallway. Shit.

"We aren't going to be alone in there, but I'm going in. I won't ask you to endanger yourself by coming with me but I'm also not confident how far we'll get either way without what's inside." Avery offered genuinely to Trinity. He didn't have any presumptions that Noir would actually be a man of his word and try to help them going forward, but he had a suspicion that this girl was braver than the geezer and might actually see it through with them. Either way, he would take all the help he could get.

Trinity raised an eyebrow at Avery and smiled "I'm going in there with you rather you like it or not! I don't you being hurt and uh- I hate that old dude on the roof with a burning passion, and that's saying something since I just met I'm less than an hour ago not to mention the fact that I don't get a good vibe from him...But what if we actually do need him to get what we need?" She then started prying other pieces of broken glass out the frame of the window without cutting herself.

Noir sighed in relief seeing as the boy propped his ladder back into place. He quickly sashed on his duffel bag, tossed on his fedora, then made his way down. Something was telling him that maybe these people aren’t like the others. Well, though they hadn’t hurt him physically, they still really hurt his pride. Whatever, he’ll get over it, he’s great at that. Ooh, he’s great at a lot of things, in fact, he could even consider himself the best. Oh.

He reaches level ground now, removing the revolver from his belt. He spun the barrel around and checked inside. Surely enough, yeah, it was loaded. He held it down to his side casually, loosely, incautiously. He shrugged, then gave the pair a slight smirk. “As I said, for the ladder, I’ll help you out. Though, I’m not sure what all’s left, if anything at all. If it makes you feel any better, I’ve seen plenty make their way in.”

Noir stated as his pale eyes moved their ways around the dark room. He continued. “Nobody’s made it out, though. If it makes you feel any better.” He involuntarily let out a slight laugh. He was trying to boost the mood, but he’s more of the guy to make a joke at a funeral. Not a good time, not a good place. “Ah, whatever, it’ll be easy, I’m sure.” Noir said with a shrug, placing his other hand on his gun as well, ready to shoot if needed.

He seemed pretty careless for a guy who was just afraid to break a bone.

”As for you, girl, I’d try not to whack everything you see. The bats come in handy dandy, sure, but they do break, you know? Well, I’m sure you do. You seem like you’d play softball, seeing as how you threw earlier.” Noir begins to reminisce, smiling and swaying slightly as he did. “Ah, yeah, definitely. I had a friend, once, he played baseball. You know, the guys’ sport. Not saying you couldn’t play baseball, I’m sure you’d kick all the rowdy boys to the dust with your skills.” Noir would state, making sure to not sound quite as rude as before.

Trinity looked at Noir as if he was crazy as she followed him inside, "Oh wow knowing that zero fucking percent of the people who came here, in the place, where we are!, just fucking died makes me feel so much better!" She said sarcastically. Then she shot a glare in Noir's direction as he starts to bring up earlier events and speaks coldly, "Okay boomer- I don't want your compliments or advice now hush before I start breaking more than just windows." She threatened and made it obvious that she wasn't bluffing then looked over at Avery. "I suggest that you stand between us or something so I don't end up hurting him." She said as she crossed her arms and thought, "This guy is acting pretty tough for a dude who was just stuck on the roof with a slice of bread."
"Alright, Noir your leading so let's get going before you turn to dust!"

Avery began to grin as Trinity revealed her fiery personality more and more. He was immediately reminded of his sister when they were younger- taking no nonsense and taking on anyone that pushed her buttons headfirst, mouth a-blazing. He put a hand over his mouth and raised his eyebrows to try and cover his obvious amusement at Trinity's call out. When she was done Avery merely looked to Noir and shrugged before gesturing dramatically with one hand for him to take the lead through the broken window.

"Alright, I'll be the buffer," Avery said as he stepped between Noir and Trinity. Before following Noir in Avery leaned his head closer to Trinity and whispered with a chuckle "I know he's old and decrepit but try not to confuse him for a zombie in there."

Then he turned to Noir and sized the man up. He was definitely getting older, but Avery could see where that translated to experience. The way he carried himself was cocky, but the way he carried his gun was professional. Avery locked eyes with the man and gave him a respectful nod- a peace offering of sorts. I'll watch your back, the look said. He didn't know the man enough to respect him personally, but he could appreciate having another willing survivor along for this suicide mission. Avery didn't know much, but he knew what they were about to experience wasn't going to be pretty.

Abigail Winslow

It really says a lot about the world when the best thing that has happened to Abby in the past few days was breaking into a house without any deaders in it. Well, broke into might be a stretch since the door was wide open and nobody was home. Either way up until that point it had been a spiraling shitfest for her.

The week started harmless enough with burning down her home after finding a zombified cheater of a fiancée. Then the shitfest express left its station when her car was t-boned while she tried to avoid running over one of her neighbors. In her dazed state she got a front row seat at watching Mrs. Dobson rip a chunk out of Mr. Dobson’s neck. By some divine miracle Abby managed to crawl out of her car and stumble away from that disaster zone without sharing the Dobson’s fate. Even more miraculous she managed to make it to her old family accountant’s home. The accountant, one Mr. Curwen, who was like a paternal figure to Abby since her own dear dad went off a cliff without a parachute. Now, it took her awhile to make it across town with all the distractions of Deadwood going to hell in a handbasket so you can imagine her joy at finally making it there without being mauled, trampled or plastered on the hood of somebody’s car.

This is where the shitfest express went into a speeding corkscrew, because Abby could only stay in that house long enough to puke all over the living room carpet. It was…not good to say the least. It was probably about then that the utter despair and appalling terror kicked in. Seemed like the right moment.

The days that followed were better, but only in the sense that Abby didn’t have to see the town get ravaged by death. She just heard it from inside what would have been a cozy home if the neighborhood wasn’t so rough. Luckily or unluckily the proprietors of the house never came home to find a moderately freaked out shaking woman hugging her knees in a corner of the dining room. In time Abby’s wits came back to her and she went about her life about as well as she could. Cover the windows, raid the pantry and think about what her next move should be while she hangs out on the couch snacking on chips.

Fast forward a couple days and now Abby is meandering along the river trying to make a friend in this new world. The only problem is she can’t find a friend to make, at least the kind with a probably beating pulse and lacking in the cannibalistic department. Now, she might be picky but Abby wasn’t too keen on having friends who need a muzzle. Not her fetish but she wouldn't judge too much. Keeping herself somewhat close to the riverbank which dipped down a few feet, she was able to keep her body from the shoulder down out of sight. It was a pretty clever move if she would say so herself, the only problem being that she was getting pestered by every mosquito in the entire state. Now where should she go…

Ethan Bradshaw

Being the bearer of bad news already sucked enough, so the stranger taking it as well as one could be expected to in a way made Ethan glad. Solid as he may be he was not cold and indifferent to suffering or fear, what was happening affected him just as it would most others. Yet he had managed to suppress it to some degree and he would rather keep it that way until the day he dies. It would seem he wasn’t alone in that regard.

The woman was right about it being foolish for him to go searching. He probably wouldn’t make it more than an hour wandering around town before he was pounced on by a corpse lurking in inky shadow. It would be an incredible waste guided by sheer stupidity. Very nearly his attention was subconsciously pulled back to Deadwood until she spoke again, and when she admitted her reason for being at the mine Ethan offered what he intended as a sympathetic nod. Words just didn’t seem helpful at that moment. For a passing second he studied the stranger and in better circumstances would have found it amusing the way she pulled an emotional 180. Instead he felt an odd mixture of emotions that passed as suddenly as they formed and what remained was a growing impression that this was a pretty odd woman. But then again who was he to judge.

Despite his hesitations, slowly softening but still alive, Ethan felt a wave of relief at just the prospect of not having to search Deadwood alone. The fact was that no matter the strength of his resolve he was plagued by doubt. Whether or not she actually meant what she said or if she would just ditch him at the most opportune time did not cross his mind. All he considered was that she had a reason to join him and seemed as or more capable than himself. Maybe it was because the offer perked him up a bit that Ethan even considered her request. What with the world ending and everything he had been in a bit of a sour mood these past few days.

Ethan rubbed his chin in contemplation and when his hand fell their was a slight curl at his lips, “Hate to disappoint you but I grew up on a farm. Didn’t ride horses near as much as you probably think.” He reached over to the truck as if about to absentmindedly rest a hand on it before sudden awareness pulled it away, “But I s’pose I have a couple stories dependin’ on your preference.”

Interaction: Briar Pike( graytful graytful )​

Noir sort of zoned the girl out when she spoke. He knew that whatever she had to say probably meant nothing well for him. He shrugged, then shook off the little daydreams he was stuck in. He knew to lead the way, at least he was good at that. He’d done plenty of leading around before this, as he was usually the charge of his missions. The man stepped into the window, the crunch of glass under his shoes follows.

As he enters, he turns around to the two, pulling a keycard from his pocket, then a ring of keys. “They keycard was the original way in, but in case there’s no power, it‘s these keys.” Noir stated, sliding them back into his pocket as he turned to face back forward. “Plus, who knows if I’ll make it. I’m sure the both of you could, but likely not me. If something happens, it’s your choice whether you keep going or you run back. If I go down and you decide to keep going, those items will be in my pocket.” He said, twirling the barrel of his revolver once again

”If something happens to me, and I make it. Say, I get bit, don’t hesitate. If you won’t kill me, I’ll do it myself.” Noir shrugged before he continued walking “Not that you would, of course. I’ve been sort of a dick.” He stated with a smile. “But, what can I say? There’s no excuse for the things I’ve did, but I do hope you guys make it. I’ve spent enough time around, the world won’t miss me, and it’s likely there’s no one on it that will.”

Noir was silent as he went now. He had nothing to say, nothing to do. The rush. It was the rush, the chance, the opportunity. He didn’t know what it was, but he was compelled. Given the opportunity, he’d likely throw himself headfirst into a hoard.

Trinity closely watched Noir as he took out the keys and sighed. "Your going to make it Noir and I'll make sure of it." She started moving further down the hall, being cautious of the occasional groan that echoed through it. "Doesn't matter how much of an asshole you are, you were kind enough to come in here, in this.....hell with us knowing what happened to the people who had entered before us. And I respect that about you. So don't start with all that! Your with us and you'll make it till the very end got it?" She said, more saying than asking. Trinity then stopped and looked around a corner into a room to see a group of dead police officers then inhaled sharply, looking back at Avery for directions on how to approach the situation.

Last edited:
On his journey to the next part of town, Darius was sure to move as quietly as he could as he slowly sobered. That is until he came across a particularly large being. It gurgled and lurched just as the other undead creatures did, only it was twice the size of the others. At this point, the grocery store was the next street over and Darius had miraculously managed avoid conflict but now the exit to the alley was blocked by the large mass of a zombie. Cursing, he crouched behind a dumpster and rubbed his temple. There was little chance he could fight it head on in the state he was in and even at his full capacity it would've been a fifty-fifty chance. His dark brooding eyes opened to sweep over his surroundings. They laid to rest on a glass bottle just across from his position to which he quickly darted out an took it in his grasp, nearly stumbling in the process. The clink of the bottle made the vile creature turn in all directions as it tried to decipher where the sound had come from. Now was his chance. Winding his umber arm backward Darius propelled the bottle out of his hand until it flew through the air and out of the alley.

The sharp crack of the class shattering did as intended and lured the undead mass away. Due to his condition, his aim was slightly impaired and the bottle didn't make it as far as he hoped, but it was now or never. Filling his lungs with the air tainted with death and decay, Darius rose and made his escape. His legs outstretched before his body as far as they could as he fled from the horrid undead that let out a furious screech at the sight of his fleeing figure. In his panic, the male didn't take note of the crumpled body on the ground which caught his foot midstep and sent him careening toward the asphalt beneath him. The movement caused his face to make contact with the ground where a searing pain shot through his nose. A muffled cry left his mouth as he reached for his pistol and aimed it at the new villian that was face to face with him. It was a smaller zombie, possibly a young teen before it was turned and left in the streets. Without a moment's hesitation a loud shot rang out as a bullet was discharged into the temple of the rotting corpse. Quickly getting back to his feet he continued to flee from the much larger zombie and any others that were now coming thanks to him using his gun.

The adrenaline that coursed through his veins seemed to help ease Darius' symptoms further until he finally rounded a corner and came to the back of the grocery store. There two figures caught his attention making him come to an abrupt stop and snap his hand up with pistol in hand. His aim was unsteady and his mind still on high alert until he realized the two seemed to be embracing one another. From what he had seen, affection wasn't a behavior the undead showed. So, slowly his arm lowered and he wiped under his nose where a crimson liquid was dripping from his previous fall. He didn't know what to say, maybe warn them that there was a potential group of walking corpses following him? Maybe ask them if it was safe inside? Or maybe it was best not to speak at all, people were never friendly during war and this was certainly a sick and twisted war. "Sorry, I-I didn't, have a choice. They're probably coming, it's not safe here." His words were short and curt but he just didn't want to be at fault for more death, regardless of war.

frogmilk frogmilk

Freddie Bradshaw
— location: Southeastern grocery store / interactions: Darius & Quinton / mentions: PaleLight PaleLight

The moment Freddie's eyes came upon the man pointing a gun at them, she pushed her older brother away. Before her hands were able to hold the kitchen knife again, the man had lowered his gun. Normally, the sound of a gunshot would have been enough to put Freddie in a state of high alert, but such occurrences were common place these days and they seemed to blend in with the chaotic atmosphere the city had fallen into. To the questioning face on her brother's face, all the brunette did was give a nod in the direction of the stranger, hands slowly raising in an attempt to show lack of hostility.

Normally, Freddie would have asked who they were, but in the state of things it was quite obvious whoever it was was dead. And out for a meal. "Inside's not safe. Do you have anywhere you're going?" Her words were steady, in fact Freddie was surprisingly calm in the situation, especially given the several panic attacks she had been experiencing in the last few days. Her brother's frail state was probably the culprit of said tranquility. Made her feel like she had to step up.

"M-Maybe we could tag along, yeah?" She asked. Finding anyone who was still part of the living was becoming rarer by the day, which is why Freddie made the suggestion.

Quinton Bradshaw
— location: Southeastern grocery store / interactions: Darius & Freddie / mentions: PaleLight PaleLight

His sisters hands suddenly pushed Quinton away, to which he gave her a questioning look. It wasn't until his eyes followed hers that he came upon the man standing in front of them. The notion of an armed man made Quinton's stomach turn, but he managed to keep it down. Freddie's dominant streak offered Quinton a sense of security, knowing he could fall back on her when he needed it. Instead of raising his hands, though, he opted for gripping his axe. The stranger wasn't close enough for it to be useful, but knowing it was readily available was enough for Quinton.

His sister's suggestion to join forces with the man caught the older sibling by surprise and he threw a disapproving glance his sister's way. "Fred, are you sure about that?" his words were just above a whisper, hopefully not loud enough for the stranger to hear. Quinton wasn't necessarily a paranoid man, but he also wasn't known to trust blindly. What was to say that this guy wouldn't just get them killed?

Another look at the stranger could tell Quinton that he looked worse than they did. Or, at least, than Freddie did; Quinton's hand was still bleeding quite heavily and the adrenaline that had been keeping the pain at bay was slowly seeping away. If what the stranger was saying was true, they wouldn't have time to fix him up where they were, and what was to say that the corpses inside the grocery store wouldn't find them out here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back