• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
Characters
Here
Lore
Here

ArcaneDreamer

The Absent-Minded Daydreamer
The world of Aphola is a prosperous land. Through the valiant effort of the gods, every inch of the land is bountiful, magic is a natural birthright amongst the people, and even the presence of monsters is seen as nothing more than a minor nuisance. As a result, for the average person, everyday life is very peaceful.

If only things could remain that way forever...

Unbeknownst to everyone, somewhere, in a certain town, there lies a journal that holds terrible secrets of Aphola - particularly, how the world exists in a never-ending cycle of destruction, and how those who are personally blessed by the gods are destined to one day slay each other.

However, as the start of the cycle approaches once more, a certain pair of close friends are about to stumble across this very journal - and subsequently discover the grim fate that awaits the two of them.

Though they are as different as night and day, they shall walk away from these revelations with a united goal:

Go forth, and defy fate itself.

--------

Kean Raghnall grimaced as he reached the top of a hill and was unceremoniously blinded by the rays of the setting sun. Cursing quietly to himself, the brunette quickly thrust a hand in front of his eyes, willing the spots now dancing in his sight to go away. As he waited for this to happen, the young scholar ended up thinking about the series of events that led him to this point - specifically, how in the span of three days Kean went from being a student at Taenora Academy setting out on another experiment, to being placed on indefinite suspension because of said experiment.

Sure, in hindsight, he really shouldn't have set up his materials so close to the entrance of the library, but how was he supposed to know that he would accidentally summon monsters? Ultimately, though, ignorance is not an adequate excuse for property damage and endangering the lives of his fellow peers. Thus, this brings Kean back to the present - with his vision currently being assaulted by the evening light, and his legs sore from his all day, non-stop journey from Taenora all the way back to his beloved hometown. All in all, Kean definitely has had better days.

'Well, at least I didn't encounter any particularly aggressive monsters on my path...'

Somewhat cheered up by this thought, as well as the fact that his eyesight was no longer partially obscured by dots, the brunette decided to take a quick look at his surroundings, curious about how much progress he had left. To his surprise, green-hazel eyes caught sight of a familiar slab of well-loved wood to his right, inscribed with equally familiar writing:

Welcome to Clearview!
Home of the famous Purity Lake

Blinking in confusion, and being mindful of the still-present evening sun, Kean turned his gaze forward. Sure enough, laid before him, there was a gloriously recognizable sight - a moderately sized town, flanked by woods on two sides and a sparkling clear lake to the North. As soon as he saw all of this, a large grin began to spread across the scholar's face.

Kean was home - he was back in Clearview.

It truly had been too long since he was last able to visit - Being able to only leave the academy once every two months for 'Personal Reasons' isn't nearly enough time for him to bask in the familiar sights and sounds of his home. Additionally, even though he was able to frequent send letters home, it was still a poor substitute for being able to talk with his family and one of his closest friends - Elian Terrel.

Speaking of Elian... though Kean felt completely exhausted by his long journey home, the brunette felt a certain impulse to go and find the sarcastic apothecary. If it had been a long time since he was last in Clearview, then it had been even longer since he was last able to spend any significant time with his friend. With Elian's apothecary training surely soon coming to an end, the blonde had been extremely busy and thus the two were barely able to exchange anything more than simple pleasantries during Kean's last visit.

Considering this, plus the amount of time that had passed since then, Kean became certain that Elian had graduated by this point. Surely, then, they would be able to sit down and have a (long overdue) proper conversation! With that in mind, the scholar adjusted his bag and began to walk towards the general direction of Clearview's apothecary.

Lost Lost

Last edited:
"What do you mean Arin isn't sick?" Sellen Dakan - Arin's mother - demanded. She had brought her daughter in for treatment, citing a 'horrible stomach bug' as the affliction. From his examinations, however, he'd come to realize the only thing afflicting the young girl was a case of chronic laziness, and alas, he had no cure for that.

"I'd thought the phrase 'Arin isn't sick,' was rather clear," Elian replied, deadpan. This was a losing battle, he knew; in his experience, parents rarely found fault in their children, for in a round-a-bout way, it would be admitting fault in themselves. Such behavior only caused their children to pretend at illness even more, making his life a great deal less pleasant. Thankfully, he'd never had such entitlement fostered within himself; one of the many perks of being an orphan, he supposed.

"Don't patronize me, Elian Terrel; my child is not a liar!" Sellen snapped. Elian ignored the comment, instead looking towards Arin with a raised eyebrow. Are you really going to drag this out any longer? his expression seemed to say. Arin's gaze dropped to her feet, and she merely coughed in response to his unasked query. "See?" Sellen continued, "She's obviously ill."

The young apothecary sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose in frustration. "If you don't trust my assessment, Sellen, you can wait until Master Gallivan returns tonight. Otherwise, I'm sure the church healers would be more than happy to take a look at your daughter."

Sellen turned with a huff, grabbing her daughter's arm. "Fine then, but you can tell your master he won't have our business anymore."

"Oh no, however will me manage?” He called out after her, voice dripping with sarcasm.

When she was gone, however, Elian couldn't help but sigh. That hadn't been smart of him; in fact, it had been quite stupid. They were already down on their luck, with more and more patients opting for the quick healing provided by the church. The shop couldn't afford to lose more just because he could control neither temper nor tongue. Given that, it was no wonder that Gallivan had postponed his graduation for a few more weeks.

He couldn't blame Sellen for it all, though, not entirely. Between the herbs he had lost earlier that morning, Cere's worsening condition, and the waste of time that Alden had proven to be, his mood hadn't been stellar to begin with. Not to mention that it would only get worse; he had an appointment with Filben Lapar later that day. That man was a fool, plain and simple, and Elian had little patience for those. He was half sure that the only reason Filben employed their services was just so he had something to complain about. There was little to be done about it, however; for all his complaints the man still paid them, and that would have to be enough.

It seemed that enough was all he could ask for, these days. Frankly, things haven't been the same since... well, since Kean left. He hadn't seen his friend in a long time, and while Elian wouldn't have minded with most people, Kean had become an exception. Theirs was an unlikely friendship, given their many differences, though perhaps those differences were why they had worked well together. Whatever the reason, Kean was one of the only people Elian Terrel could call a friend, and though they'd kept in contact during his absence, it was never quite the same. Maybe I'll take a trip up to Taenora one of these days. I'm sure it'd do us some good to find work elsewhere, anyway. It was unlikely he’d manage it, but the thought did help lighten his mood.

A quick glance at the clock told Elian that he was running late for that aforementioned appointment with Filben Lapar; those lost herbs had really set him back. With a sigh, he slipped the mudroot paste into his satchel, and stepped out the door.

I simply don't understand why it must take so long," Filben Lapar muttered. The comment was one of many that had filled this visit, and though it came as no surprise to Elian, he couldn’t help the feeling of annoyance growing within.

"As I said," Elian started, barely refraining from gritting his teeth, "mudroot paste is slow-acting, but more effective in the long run. It'll help your joints better than any other treatments, Mr. Lapar."

Filben sniffed, doubt evident on his face. "The church healers said their magic could heal any wound in seconds."

Elian Terrel was not a patient man. Facing illness, and even death, with consistency caused a certain restlessness, a realization that each second wasted one place was another not spent helping someone else. For even a few seconds could be the difference between a lost limb and a lost life. And today, Elian had no desire to waste his seconds, least of all on fools. "Then get your blasted healing from the church, and stop wasting my time!" he snapped, slamming the remedy on the table between them. Without another word, and before Filben could get a comment in edgewise, Elian grabbed his satchel and stalked outside. The cool air that greeted him did little to soothe his temper; with another huff he was off, with no mind paid to his surroundings, no thoughts but to walk off the experience.

Master Gallivan should be back by now. The intrusive thought slipped through the more of frustration, and Elian sighed. He was not looking forward to facing his mentor, not after today. And yet, to keep him waiting would only worsen the situation.
Steeling himself, Elian went to start the long walk back to the apothecary....

...and stopped, dead in his tracks, as he spotted the one person he hadn’t expected to see.

“Kean?” He called out, incredulous.

ArcaneDreamer ArcaneDreamer

Kean wasn't sure what he was expecting to happen as he walked towards Clearview's apothecary, but he certainly hadn't anticipated being stared at like he was a ghost by random passerby. The first couple of times this happened, the brunette had merely tried to make eye contact with these people. However, when this only resulted in said passerby immediately looking away - as if embarrassed that they had been caught staring - Kean stopped his attempts, keeping his eyes forward and searching for his destination. Though, admittedly, the lingering gazes were starting to become a bit... off-putting.

'I know my visits are normally infrequent, but is it really that odd that I'm back earlier than usual...?'

He remembered back when had left for Taenora, several of the townspeople had gathered to see him off - after all, it's not very often someone from Clearview is offered a full scholarship at the prestigious academy! The scholar also remembered a lot of said townspeople telling him to 'avoid exploding the place', which he knew was mostly a joke. To be fair, when he was younger, his experiments were a bit more on the... exciting side, but if any damage happened, it was usually only to Kean's clothes (or the ground, or a table, or that one slime that got too close...). Plus, he had matured since then, and made sure to take better precautions with his endeavors. However, the more times this sentiment was said by the others, the more weirded out Kean had felt up until he had left. For a majority of that day, he recalled feeling a small sense of discomfort, just sitting in the back of his mind as he journeyed over to the academy.

Now, flash back to the present, and Kean couldn't help but feel a sense of deja vu as a hint of that very feeling began to creep up on him. Just as he started to consider increasing his pace towards the apothecary, a blessedly familiar voice reached his ears.

"Kean?"

Whipping his head towards the source, Kean immediately began to smile upon seeing the very person he was looking for - Elian Terrel.

"Oh, Elian! There you are - I was just about to go over to the shop to find you!"

The scholar, already forgetting about his earlier discomfort, cheerfully began making his way over to the blonde, already prepared to begin catching up with his oldest friend. However, just as he opened his mouth to start talking, Kean finally had a good look at Elian's appearance. Instantly, embarrassment (and a tiny amount of disappointment) flashed through him as the brunette came to an instant conclusion.

"Wait - Am I interrupting another appointment? If so, I'm sorry! If you want, I can just leave you be and we can talk at the tavern later?"

Lost Lost

At the mention of appointments, Elian scowled "No, you aren't, and may the gods be thanked for that. Sometimes I think that when you left, you took all of Clearwater's sense with you." Still, he felt some of his ill-temper fading at the sight of his friend; it really had been too long. The irony was rather amusing, though, that the day he thought about visiting Taenora was the day his friend showed up back home. He felt relief at the realization that he wouldn't have to ask his master for a leave of absence; Elias could think of several reactions Gallivan would have, none of them pleasant.

Wait, Master Gallivan! He had forgotten that his master had returned, and that he was supposed to be back at the shop an hour ago. Why today, of all days? he thought with a grimace. "Sadly, I don't think I'm free of responsibility just yet; Master Gallivan wanted to see me before I'm off for the day. And if I've learned one thing over the years, it's that he's nothing if not impatient, and I was meant to be back at the shop an hour ago. Though I expect to see you later tonight, so you can explain why you've returned without so much of a letter in warning." The last part was said with a smile, before Elian turned to continue towards the shop. He hesitated, however, turning to look face his friend for one brief moment. "And Kean? Whatever the reason, I'm glad you're back. Truly." It was with that that Elian took his leave, continuing where he left off in a slightly better mood. For now, he had something to look forward to.

The walk was a short one, but it allowed Elian some time to ponder his situation. He'd been apprenticed to Gallivan for quite some time now: fifteen years, if he counted correctly. In that time he had learned all the herbs needed for healing, all the major ailments of Aphola and several dozen recipes to treat each individually. Not only that, but he had been fielding all of the shop's business for the past two years. It was hardly arrogant to expect that any day now, Gallivan would clear him for graduation, and then...

Then what? He could move to another building, and spend the rest of his life replicating the past fifteen years? Maybe, he thought reluctantly to himself. Or maybe he could travel; there was still a market for traveling physicians, if less so with the advancement of healing magic. Maybe he could even pass by Taenora every once and a while, check up on Kean. That sounds nice, I suppose...

All too quickly, however he found himself outside the shop, staring at the old, weathered wooden door. No use waiting for him to get any more cantankerous. With a deep breath he stepped inside. The room was dark, save on candle sitting on the counter, Gallivan behind it. His face had a sour look, contorted in a way that distinctly reminded his apprentice of a notched oak tree. It seemed that with each passing year, the man who cultivated plants became more like them. The thought made it hard for Elian not to smile. "What took you so long, boy," his mentor asked,

"Some of the appointments were more difficult than expected," he replied, stepping toward the cabinets to begin emptying his satchel. Best not to mention the lost herbs... Or Sellen, for that matter.

"I trained you to do more than the difficult, Elian Terrel; I trained you to be punctual, and swift." Ah, just as your master taught you to let others do your work? he thought silently, though for once he didn't dare spew sarcasm. Just a few more weeks, and he'll have to graduate me. Hold your tongue until then, Elian.

"I know, master; I apologize. It won't happen again." He hated how demure he sounded, how submissive he had to be, but this man had power over his future; the guild wouldn't supply an unlicensed apothecary, and he couldn't collect all the herbs he needed alone. To release his temper would result in more than just a lost customer; it would result in a lost career. Just a few more weeks, he repeated, a mantra to keep him sane.

"It had better not." His master sighed. "At this rate, it will be a few more years before you're ready." Elian paused, nearly dropping the next bundle he was storing away. Just a few more... years? All at once his resolution shattered, and his temper flared.

"You must be joking, Gallivan. It's been fifteen years!" Elian hissed, anger lacing his voice.

"These things must not be rushed, boy. You could kill someone if you aren't ready."

"Not ready? Not ready? I've been fielding your appointments for the past two years! If I were going to kill someone, I'm sure it would have happened by now!" he snapped. Suddenly, a cold realization struck him as the words left his mouth, a dark thought amidst the mire of anger. "That's what you want, isn't it? You want someone to be a workhorse, while you sit around and play the part of an apothecary!"

"Watch your tone, Elian," Gallivan warned quietly.

"No, Master, I think I'm quite done with that." Elian stood, shutting the cabinet gently. His master eyed him suspiciously as he walked across the room, stopping in front of the very same weathered oak door. His anger, surprisingly, was gone; now, all he felt was tired, as tired as the door seemed to look.

"Elian, don't." The old man commanded quietly.

Without another word, Elian stepped out of the shop.

========================================================================================================================================================

The tavern was a rowdy place, filled to the brim with sweaty men and women celebrating the end of the work day. Unsurprisingly, the joviality did little to improve his mood. Having secured a table in the corner of the place, Elian waited for Kean, brooding.

How ironic, that after all of the day's musings, he was faced with this. In retrospect it was all rather obvious. If only he had paid more attention, had looked beyond his work, had been better at reading people on more than a medical level. What if, what if, what if.

Suddenly he felt like an orphan again, alone, futureless, forgotten. The world moved on, with not a care in the world, and he was stuck. Stationary, watching others live lives he would never have. No, don't be a fool, Elian, he chided himself. You're not alone, not yet. You have a friend in Kean. And you will have a plan. He was not the same orphan he had been, possessing hope without action; he was an apothecary, a healer. He would get through this, and he wouldn't be alone.

Suddenly, as he waited for his friend, the atmosphere of the tavern became a tad less stifling.

ArcaneDreamer ArcaneDreamer

Last edited:
Kean couldn't help but laugh at Elian's response, both out of relief he hadn't interrupted another appointment (again), as well as mild disbelief at the assertion that he had apparently took everyone's common sense with him - especially considering the series of events that led to this very reunion. However, his mirth was swiftly tempered as soon as the brunette was told that his friend still had one last thing to attend to before they could catch up. His expression briefly gained a hint of embarrassment at the mention of his lack of a preceding letter (not that he had any time to send one before... everything) before quickly shifting back to his usually cheerful demeanor as he bid Elian a quick goodbye.

"Alright, fair enough Elian. We'll talk later, then!"

As Kean watched Elian walk away towards the shop, he suddenly focused on something that the blonde had said.

'Wait, he's still calling Gallivan 'Master'? I thought Elian's apprenticeship was over at this point...'

Kean tilted his head quizzically, before casually dismissing the thought. It was probably just an old habit Elian couldn't shake - calling someone by a certain title for most of your life would be rather hard to forget, after all. Plus, he really shouldn't be just standing in the street and thinking about this - his bag full of belongings wasn't getting any lighter, and his shoulders were beginning to let their displeasure be known. With that in mind, the scholar quickly turned away from where Elian was walking and began to make his way towards his home.

Very little time passed before Kean was standing at the side entrance to a modestly sized house, awkwardly searching his pockets for the key. While yes, technically he could've tried to go through the front door, this side entrance leads directly to his room - and since he was carrying a heavy bag, the scholar decided that the shortest possible route to his room was the better option. Fortunately, Kean found what he was looking for relatively quickly, and as soon as he opened the door he quickly (and carefully - some of his packed things were breakable) set his bag down on the ground. Sighing in relief, and taking a moment to stretch his sore muscles, the brunette idly took notice of the lack of noise within the building. He walked over to another door that lead to a hall into the house, and after opening it and seeing nobody down the hall, he just shrugged to himself.

'Oh, mom and dad must be out.'

It made sense - Kean's father often worked odd hours as 'Labor-for-Hire', and his mother had a tendency to lose track of time if she happened to get together with her friends. Plus, there wasn't any light visible from the windows when he had arrived earlier, so perhaps that should have been his first hint. Ultimately, it really wasn't anything that warranted too much concern. Still, the scholar felt like he should let his parents know that he had come back to Clearview before heading to the tavern, so he quickly retrieved a piece of paper and a random pen that was laying on his desk and began to write a note:

Hi Mom & Dad!
I've returned from Taenora. I was a bit too careless with an experiment - Now suspended from the academy.
I will be back soon, I just went to the tavern to catch up with Elian.
Kean Raghnall​

Satisfied with what he had written, the brunette then tacked his note onto his door, after which unpacked a few select items from his bag - Namely, a pouch containing money, his Rune-writing set, and a small side satchel designed to carry his tools. While he didn't exactly anticipate having to need to use his magic anytime soon, his time at Taenora had taught him that he should be prepared for anything. Life can be pretty unpredictable, after all.

So, after double-checking he had everything (and that he had properly locked the door before leaving), Kean began to head over to the tavern, cheerfully excited to finally talk with Elian after so long.

The tavern was just as crowded and loud as Kean remembered, which was comforting in a way. After the very odd (and disturbingly silent) way several of the townspeople have reacted to his presence, the uncaring cacophony of people celebrating a long day of work ended up serving as a balm to his earlier discontent. Plus, the fact that the tavern was so noisy actually made it ironically easier to figure out where Elian had sat down - the furthest possible table away from other people. Speaking of his friend, as soon as Kean spotted a certain blonde man sitting by himself at a spot in a corner, the scholar felt himself begin to smile as he approached the table. When he was certain that he was within hearing distance, the brunette cheerfully spoke up, making sure to raise his voice so he wasn't drowned out by the tavern's ambient noise.

"You're here a bit earlier than I expected, Elian! I hope I didn't keep you waiting for too long."

As Kean said this, he automatically took a seat across the apothecary and visibly relaxed, his legs grateful for the chance to finally rest after walking for so long. Though, at that moment, the brunette paused briefly as he wondered whether or not to tell Elian about the real reason he was back much earlier than he should be. It didn't take him very long to decide to just delay the inevitable, and in an attempt to cover up his pause, he awkwardly blurted out the first thing that came to his mind.

"So, uh, I'm assuming that you had some rough appointments? You look like you've had a long day."

Lost Lost

Users who are viewing this thread

Back