• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Enigma United 00c/character/plotting

This is the rp thread: Multiple Settings - Enigma United [IC]
This is for Lore in EU: Fantasy - [Lore] Enigma United Library

This is just an idea that I expanded on from a discord friend.
Look I know as well as anyone else that life can be a little much at times. This is why this is a pretty easy RP to work with. I ask that you have at least a paragraph or more. And that players can post at least once a week. If you need to take a break just drop a post in the OOC we all understand.

Enigma United
Throughout history, every culture has creatures and otherworldly beings. Sure we as a modern society shove them off as mythology or just superstitions. But what if they were real? What if everything you know about the world was just a construct to hide the truth about these Enigmas. The X-files, Supernatural all those television shows got some things right and some things wrong. But they were made to make people less frightened of them. Even if it doesn't work, the more we introduce you to these monsters the less likely you are to freak out when you see one. The easier it is when we tell you it is just something you made up in your mind to cope with the tragedy of your encounter.

Enigma United started in 11th century England when a journal entry from a knight provoked more interest in paranormal beings. Since then Enigma has expanded and gotten rid of some of the prejudices from the old times when creatures were less understood. Now we specialize in dealing with all manner of paranormal events. Demonic possessions, hauntings. Mysterious creatures, strange murderers or disappearances. We explore it all, well our investigators do all the leg work. But it is all done in secrecy. Though there will always be conspiracy theorists. We cannot confirm or Deny that the political leaders are lizard people from space. But you might find something in the HQ library filled with all kinds of books on mythological creatures magic spells and more.

Our existence is mostly unknown outside the United Nations; Enigma agents only show up in the most peculiar reports. Though most of their investigations come from the governments, they are known to take on personal cases. Enigma United has existed for nearly a millennium, having originated in the 11th century of Britain. They have established branches all over the world today. Their mission is to maintain the balance between the supernatural and human societies. There are three levels of hierarchy in Enigma United. The highest level is also known as corporate. It is historically called the Inner Circle, consisting of seven members that vote on whether or not a case is strange enough to involve the special agents known as investigators. The second level of Enigma is known as Handlers. There is a Handler for every country, state and province across the world. The handlers take in reports from other government agencies, picking and choosing those with strange or supernatural circumstances. The cases, once given the okay from corporate, are assigned to Investigators. The investigators or hunters work in pairs. Their authority transcends that of the highest forms of government, and they do not ever let anyone outside Enigma United investigate further once they have taken over.

The main location of this RP will be the Salem Massachusetts HQ. Though you may have a character from any branch across the world and there may be cases that take Enigma agents across the borders. There will be discussions for potential cases, not every cryptid will be killed and not every investigator will survive. On a side note investigators do not have to be human but they have to have a human disguise. Every week or so there will be a pool to select a case. If there are more than one investigators the more cases can be done at the same time. Though there will be extreme cases where they will need 2 to 4 investigators.
Magical items are available though are limited to their uses and how they can be used. Magic is taxing to cast unless you are a witch or a warlock and born with the ability to use magic. Most magic consists of the real world although mild fantasy is allowable. Very mild. Some Magic users such as Witches and Warlocks have different taxation depending on the magic they use. A witch using white magic might be able to mix a healing potion or smudge a house but if they were to do some real spell casting it could take days to prepare the spell depending on the level of complexity and what the spell's effect would be. Items that have been enchanted with magic are few and far between. They don't often come in weapons, but the most powerful of these magic items are the books. Some books can be fairly safe to read from. Other books are so dangerous they are kept under lock and key. The only people allowed to read their pages the occultists of Enigma. Most of the weapons that have been enchanted by magic have been found and are kept in the British Head Quarters. The Salem headquarters keeping most objects and books of magic.

When using magic it is important to remember what you are doing. Most magic comes from the world and can be tapped into with enough practice. Not all humans can use magic and magical races had been in hiding for centuries having been hunted nearly to extinction. It is rumoured that in the Scandinavian wilderness there is one last elf village. Elves are rare to come by and with their level of magic manipulation, you might see one and never know it. Elves had many grimoires and tomes but these have mostly been destroyed or lost all over the world. The way magic works are there white magic which is often used for protection, helping spirits cross over or creating potions that heal almost instantaneously. Then there is black magic, this magic is often associated with dark arts. Human sacrifices, immortality spells or potions, evoking demonic entities, death curses, necromancy. They are called the forbidden arts. Enigma takes these cases extremely seriously. Then there is grey magic which is somewhere between the two of the magics. Each one of these magics has a subcategory. For white magic, there is Wicca, Herbalism, witchdoctors and some voodoo. For black magic, there is demonic summoning, cursing, blood magic, and voodoo. Grey magic often affects reality, space and time and can be used to affect other's minds in positive or negative ways.

The building that was chosen as the Head Quarters of Enigma United became the Proctor house in Salem, Massachusetts after the witch trials in 1692. The headquarters had been modernized but still holds secrets from its original construction. Secret rooms from the den and library house Enigmas secrets. Journals and grimoires, Items from history that hold significant magic power. Demons and spirits trapped in items. There are 5 known ghosts of the Proctor house. Two of which are from the 17th century. The other three are from various different places. Remith Vond is a spirit bound to a book no one really knows who she was where came from or what her life was like before she had died. But she is a most friendly spirit most of the time. Other spirits are the Librarian and the Elizabeth Bassett is another spirit that resides in the manor. She remains trapped in an ouija board made from the tree she had been hung in after being convicted of witchcraft. She is a dangerous spirit and is kept under constant lock and key. Elizabeth Bassett is known to kill the living which is why she remains trapped in the ouija board.
AIMjTkT.jpg

Humans: Humans can be categorized into two classes magicians and regulars. Regulars are your average people who have no idea how to use or even that magic exists. There some Regulars that are investigators but they are generally given the less extreme cases. The Magicians can use magic These are known as Witches and Warlocks. Witches often belong to a covenant and are not all bad. Some witches are helpful and even work alongside Enigma Agents. Witches however are mortals and will pass on with age though they retain their power in spirit form. Warlocks and Sorcerers are magic users that had dabbled in dark magic that has been forsaken since the middle ages. Granting them immortality. They can be killed if you sever their heads or break the curse they used to gain immortality. Warlocks have the ability to use magic items such as tarot cards to warp reality. They are considered extremely dangerous. A skinwalker is a type of warlock.

Vampires: Not all vampires are evil creatures that thirst for human blood. In fact, scattered around the world, there are vampire communities that live with humans peacefully. There is a local blood bank where they can get their blood without alarming any of the other citizens. Though there are still those vampires that are bad. They live in the old ways, oftentimes they aren't what they appear. Jeffery Dahmer. He was a vampire. True story. Vampires have various magical abilities. Hypnosis, enhanced speed, enhanced strength, the strongest of vampires are known to have shapeshifting and telekinetic abilities though Enigma has never encountered such vampire. Yet...

Spirits/ghosts/angels/Demons: Spirits are often aware and much more powerful than your average ghost. spirits are known as phantoms, poltergeists, intelligent hauntings. Which ghosts are lost souls that haven't crossed over but both can be dangerous. Burning the bones of a ghost doesn't kill the ghost, You can't kill a ghost they are dead. You can force them to cross over or bind them to an object. If you can convince a spirit to cross over then it will be easier forcing them is tougher. Demons are an entirely different beast, they often take advantage of vulnerable people and make them do terrible things. Remember the Amityville horror. Enigma couldn't allow the truth to escape, though they are sent back to where ever they came from when their physical body dies or is exorcised. Sometimes both. Angels are the same they can possess humans and use magic on the human. But that is the limit.

Cryptids: These are the monsters in the forests the strange sightings. The Loch Ness monster the dogmen. Yes, Werewolves and Lycanthropes you too. All creatures of a strange origin. The Moth Man, the swamp creatures. Ashmen Wendigos, Chupacabras Bunny Yips and Pudwudgees. Sea monsters are included here as well. Some of these beasts are just meant to be tracked and observed then left alone. Others have to be relocated due to human invasion of their territories. Other creatures such as Ashmen and Wendigos have to be killed with fire. These cryptids show some signs of intelligence but they are still just wild animals. Some of them active predators.

Journal entry from Sir Sigfried Anigmas, 11th century.
England, 1121, I have seen the devil’s face, many claimed to have seen or have known the devil they speak rubbish… I have looked evil in the face and seen the depths of the abyss. I have been investigating a village after the disappearance of children near a bridge that lead to the forest. Most of them were always alone. I have spent three days in the village after speaking with the friends of the missing children at midnight I went to the bridge. When I arrived the stench of death was so unbearable I nearly vomited. I have never smelt anything so putrid. As I got closer to the bridge I could hear a voice speaking. That night I met Winston. A fouler creature than any I have ever laid eyes upon. I walked under the bridge with my torch approaching the voice I heard with a grotesque gurgle. Its skin was grey and pealing it was hunched over the body of a young girl I was too late to save. Lord forgive me… I faltered in my step and its face… Dear god that hideous face. I am sad to say I did not slay Winston, I am not sure if he… It is really even alive. We must find a group of talented individuals who are adept with the supernatural and the occult and have them investigate these enigmas.

A journal entry from Erick Crane, 1692
I have made it to America, it was a long and perilous journey. On the voyage, I have seen creatures I have only read about in historical encounters. Currently, I reside in Boston, Massachusetts. I am travelling to Salem to meet with a fellow from England named Adam J. Seymour. I have been warned that he is a powerful warlock by the Inner Circle. They say he means to start a covenant there. I am simply going to observe, I am under no circumstances to engage with Seymour past getting the information. The Inner Circle seeks, Though he has already invited me, I fear this bodes ill-fortune that he is aware of my presence. Is he aware that I belong to Enigma United? What will come of this invitation? These are all unsettling thoughts in my mind as the carriage ferries me to Salem.

Investigators
Jacob Bishop
Iris Carrier
Paranormal/Supernatural affiliates

Ghosts/spirits

Remith Vond

Handlers

Inner Circle(capped at 7)

Occultists

Character sheet.
Name:
Hometown:
Current Residence:
Talents/Skills:

Physical Characteristics
Height:
Weight:
Eye Color:
Hair Color:
Skin Color:
Strengths/Weaknesses:
A little Background on how did you come to Enigma.

I will start with my character here.

Jacob Bishop

Name: Jacob Bishop
Race: Human
Hometown: Albuquerque, New Mexico
Current Residence: Salem, Massachusetts
Talents/Skills: Can see and speak with spirits and demons. Has extensive knowledge of demonology. Has only ever performed one Exorcism and it didn’t go well. He has hunted and relocated various cryptids, knowing how to identify the signs of a cryptid and banished several ghosts from serious hauntings.

Physical Characteristics
Height: 5’11”
Weight: 190 lbs.
Eye Color: Dark green
Hair Color: Use to be black but has started to go salt and pepper

Strengths
Determination- He had devoted his life to Enigma having been taken in early starting the second decade he has come across many different paranormal situations. Skinwalkers, vampires, ghosts and demons. Even once met an angel. He had spent a good portion of his life studying the myths and legends of most of the world's cultures although his strongest background is North American.

The gift- This really depends on how you look at things. He is no psychic but Jacob is a medium who can see and speak with spirits and otherworldly entities. It started early in his childhood when he would see relatives and ancestors. Then it became more of a problem as he encountered angry spirits. Over the years he has been able to cope with seeing the dead.

Weaknesses
Isolation- Jacob has had many partners over the decade he has been an investigator. But the truth of the matter is not everyone survived. There have been a few who have gone on to have healthy careers but being an Enigma Agent was at the top of the list for one of the most dangerous jobs. Jacob prefers to investigate alone. When he is forced to work on a team or with a partner. He often doesn't speak about much other than the cases. But it seems over the years and getting a few different partners has gotten him getting further out of the waters of isolation.

Battle scars- He has accumulated injuries over the years, not all of them healed properly. His right shoulder had been damaged so his days of swinging a sword are long gone. He prefers the more modern arms, though not always effective they are useful. The only things he found they don't really work on are vampires and necromancers.

Historical pain- There are many places with dark histories that still bear the scars of the memories the ghosts have trapped in the world. If there is a particularly strong memory or multiple strong memories of these places it can be overwhelming to Jacob. Over the years he has managed to keep it under control but he still has attacks from places that have very strong emotional scars.

Jacob Bishop started in Enigma at the age of 20 his family had been involved for a long time. He was born with the gift to see and speak with spirits so it only seemed natural that his father and mother were to recruit him in. That was a decade ago, since then his parents have died on a case. The information sat in a folder in his filing cabinet scared to death to take it out and read it. He knew the truth that it was a skinwalker that had killed them. He has been given a bag that has an infinite amount of space but looks like a small doctor's bag. He keeps all the tools of his trade in the grey bag with a red silk interior. Jacob has solved roughly a dozen cases he doesn't remember them all but there are a few that are still fresh in his memory. Hunting a vampire in Colorado, investigating the Viscilla Axe Murder house, The skinwalker that is still at large who had killed his parents.

Case file #1:
Vampire in Lafayette- This was one of Jacob’s first cases working with a hunter specializing in vampires. Jacob was sent for backup and to get some training experience. This was not at all his first case but his first vampire. In the town of Lafayette, a very well-known vampire sanctuary where vampires have integrated with humans and they coexist peacefully. There was a case of a, particularly bad vampire. Now Jacob had mixed feelings for vampires. Belonging to Enigma United he had to work with many vampires. His feelings towards them had changed by the time this case fell into his lap. The case took three weeks to finally track down the vampire. Initially, he was told to capture the vampire but in the end, after the ward he had been working with was killed in an altercation between Jacob, The Vampire Ward Fodor Glava and the evil Vampire Virgil. Jacob was forced to kill Virgil in a rear attack with a steak through Virgil’s heart. The case was closed and Jacob moved on. Every so often visiting the town of Lafayette Colorado to pay his respects to Fodor and visit his family.

Case file #2: Villisca Axe Murder house- In Villisca Iowa, there is a haunted house that had been the home of a demon after being summoned by a group of kids who were playing with things they didn’t understand. On November 7, a visitor to the world-renowned Villisca Axe Murder House in Villisca, Iowa, was rushed to a nearby hospital after being found with a self-inflicted stab wound to his chest. The house is a familiar site to paranormal investigators, who have proclaimed it to be one of the most haunted places in America following the 1912 murders of six children and two adults whose skulls were crushed while they slept in their beds. The crime was never solved, and visitors to the house regularly report emotional, physical, and supernatural disturbances during their overnight stays. Cue Jacob. After a particularly strange and almost deadly incident in the house that had taken place at the same time as the murders in the house at 12:45 am. A recreational ghost hunter had tangled with the wrong entity and ended up stabbing himself in the chest. Nearly dying. First Jacob interviewed everyone presents the night the ghost hunter stabbed himself. He decided to visit the property. There was nothing unusual about the house beside the feeling of sadness that he got. After a thorough investigation, Jacob exposed the ghost hunter as a fraud. As this fraud had angered the spirits of the six people who had been violently murdered in the house Jacob hoped their spirits could rest in peace.

Case file #3: Skinwalker in New Mexico- Jacob had a case come to him from an old friend. Abigail. A skinwalker had started terrorizing the Navajo reservation. Jacob had spent some of his life there as a good friend of Abigail Nightwolf. Skinwalkers are extremely rare to come by and even harder to kill than vampires in most cases. The case was hers but she knew she couldn’t handle it on her own. So she asked Jacob for help. Jacob travelled to the Navajo reserve in New Mexico near Skinwalker Canyon from Colorado. It was a 4-week investigation, the Navajo people lost many of their folk and livestock at this time. Once Jacob and Abigail had set a trap for the Skinwalker they waited. On the night of August 4th, the skinwalker showed. In a harrowing fight, Abigail and Jacob only managed to wound the skinwalker but not kill it. The skinwalker before escaping had killed Abigail and nearly killed Jacob. The three scars on his chest prove it. This case remains open to this day and hasn’t touched it. But he knows the Skinwalker is waiting for him. He has a feeling that they will meet each other again someday.

QWuDAW1.jpg

Last edited:
Question: (is it okay if I ask these here?) I was thinking about doing a witch character who has a demon trapped in a family heirloom, with whom she has limited communication. Would this be viable for this rp? If not, no worries-- I can figure out something else.

I have a kind of weird thought. In the passage you state something about the house that they live in. They have a magic barrier ‘to keep the spirits in’. Would it be possible to play a ghost that is bonded to an object in the house?

I guess you could though that would mean unless someone carried that object with them the only place you would be able to interact with other characters is in the Enigma Manor Head Quarters. Not that it would be a bad thing but something to keep in mind if you want to be more involved with the world and the investigations. But spirits in general in the rp can be harmful or helpful.

((made some assumptions making this-- lmk if anything needs changing!))

Name: Iris Carrier
Race: human witch
Hometown: an uncharted settlement in the North Maine Woods, where her family's coven has lived in secret for generations
Current Residence: Salem, MA
Talents/Skills:
  • trained since birth in basic ritual magic (wards, minor healing spells, charms)
  • ancestral line specializes in psychic magic (hypnosis, truth-telling, astral projection, mild empathic ability)
  • highly proficient with secret codes and cyphers
  • general knowledge of supernatural history (but only anything that affected her family)
Physical Characteristics:
  • Height: 5'2"
  • Weight: 130 lb
  • Eye Color: grey
  • Hair Color: blonde
  • Skin Color: pale
lemanagement_167436725_1436798260004743_3048091408584082830_n.jpg

Strengths:
  • strong-willed-- some call this stubbornness, but either way, once Iris gets an idea into her head, she does not quit
  • logical-- Iris picks up things pretty quickly, as long as there's some set of rules
  • precise-- a perfectionist whose work depends on her ability to concentrate, all of Iris' magic is highly controlled and purposeful
Weaknesses:
  • strict adherence to rules and tradition, particularly when it comes to practicing magic; can be incredibly limiting
  • sensitive to discomfort; has been on several occasions called "fussy"
  • having lived in what was essentially an isolated commune her whole life, Iris is not very world-wise and has limited social skills
  • has quite the temper and can most definitely hold a grudge
Background:
Iris was born into a coven deep in the North Maine Woods, where her family had sought protection and magical community for generations. Her parents' now high-ranking position within the coven allowed Iris a certain amount of privilege growing up, but also forced quite a bit of pressure on her to perform well and according to the rules. As the sole descendant of a long line of pure-blooded witches (her parents had tried to conceive again, but found it impossible), Iris was expected to take a leadership role in the community when she reached adulthood.​
When Iris was sixteen, she found deep in the family archives an old "cursed" pocket-watch that once belonged to her great great grandmother. The trinket was given to Iris' ancestor as a gift from a spurned suitor who, unbeknownst to anyone, had trapped a demon inside. However, the warlock had done too good a job in trapping the demon, and it was unable to escape and possess anyone, and the pocket-watch had only been gathering dust since. Upon realizing the cursed state of the artifact, Iris was able to develop a code with the demon (whose name she found out was Hemlock), based on the position of the hour and minute hands of the clock, and established limited communication. Unfortunately, her coven had little to no knowledge on summoning and exorcism, so Iris was unable to communicate with the demon directly without risk.​
Hemlock, although somewhat uncooperative and uninterested at first, did end up being fairly useful in Iris' studies. Iris kept Hemlock a secret from everyone until the eve of her twenty-first birthday, when her mother pieced it all together. Horrified to find Iris "consorting with demons," the coven sentenced her to exile for the next five years, and she could only return if she came back with no trace of demonic association. Bitter and disillusioned, Iris ran off to Salem, where her family was from originally, in order to learn more about the nature of Hemlock's imprisonment and the history of the artifact. She vowed to come back stronger and get her revenge, but for now, Iris' only earthly possessions are the cursed pocket-watch, the clothes on her back, and pitiful allowance given to her by the coven when she left, which is quickly dwindling. She needs a reliable source of income, and when she hears about Enigma, she figures that is her best shot.​

Basics
Name: Remith Vond

Nickname(s): Remy, V, ‘Ghost’

Race: Ghost

Hometown: Mississippi

Current Residence: Salem, Massachusetts

Talents/Skills:
Painting
Drawing

Physical Characteristics
Bonded to:
D8AD1D24-E6DD-43A5-AA38-DD3CA71B1781.jpeg
Height: 8 1/4 In.

Width: 6 1/4 In.

Weight: 10 lbs.

Eye Color: Blue

Hair Color: White

Skin Color: White

Strengths:
• Very smart
• Phycology
• Witchcraft

Weaknesses:
• Is stuck in a book
• Very sarcastic
• Spaghetti

Background:
Remith was bonded to this book a long time ago. Her book was found at a murder sight; which was led into the hands of the Enigma. She never told anyone her past.

1D16E9DA-3D11-48F5-8803-F1B9A9564AA2.jpeg
5DBA6B4D-12C3-48E2-9FFA-A0E4167A4CB9.jpeg

7804d52bd57376065200.jpeg

Name: Maluon

Race: Vampire

Hometown: New Castle PA

Current Residence: Aberdeen WA

Talents/Skills: Good with Computers; Often catches fine details that others may haver missed; Can also repair damaged equipment

Physical Characteristics

Height: 6' 8"

Weight: 275 lbs.

Eye Color: Brown

Hair Color: Black

Skin Color: Pale

Strengths: Good with computers, Physically strong, Patient

Weaknesses: Vain, especially with his outfits; mildly Vindictive.

Maluon joined when he was 21 because he felt it could allow him to help others like himself in any way he could. Starting with the traumatic experiences he had as a child, he struggled to understand himself, and also struggled to understand why people treated him the way they did, and so he hopes that being part of this organization will one day help him to understand himself and others more.

Valentine.png One of Maluon's "fancy" outfits.

View attachment 870931

Name: Maluon

Race: Vampire

Hometown: New Castle PA

Current Residence: Aberdeen WA

Talents/Skills: Good with Computers; Often catches fine details that others may haver missed; Can also repair damaged equipment

Physical Characteristics

Height: 6' 8"

Weight: 275 lbs.

Eye Color: Brown

Hair Color: Black

Skin Color: Pale

Strengths: Good with computers, Physically strong, Patient

Weaknesses: Vain, especially with his outfits; mildly Vindictive.

Maluon joined when he was 21 because he felt it could allow him to help others like himself in any way he could. Starting with the traumatic experiences he had as a child, he struggled to understand himself, and also struggled to understand why people treated him the way they did, and so he hopes that being part of this organization will one day help him to understand himself and others more.

View attachment 870930 One of Maluon's "fancy" outfits.
this is really good. It is really interesting to see someone experiment with trauma. It wouldn't be uncommon for vampires to remember when they were turned.

Oh it can be but not every vampire is born of a bloodline some are turned. It depends on the path you want to take. I found it interesting you chose to be 26 even though vampires are immortal.

True, I guess he could be like the baby a family line needed but struggled for centuries to have.

I imagine that vampires born from a bloodline would live for a certain amount of time before they hit the stage their agelessness kicks in sometime after adulthood. It could depend on how long vampires take to mature.

I was thinking of doing a tactical agent, basically the equivalent of a swat officer in a normal police force or government agency and was wondering if that sort of thing actually exists within Enigma.

I was thinking of doing a tactical agent, basically the equivalent of a swat officer in a normal police force or government agency and was wondering if that sort of thing actually exists within Enigma.
As much as I like this idea I think it might be a little soon to introduce it into the rp. Seeing as some of the more key roles need to be filled. But there will be room for expansion like this in the rp. Though that doesn't mean you can't make the character and join. Just that it might take a while for the character to be used in a case.

As much as I like this idea I think it might be a little soon to introduce it into the rp. Seeing as some of the more key roles need to be filled. But there will be room for expansion like this in the rp. Though that doesn't mean you can't make the character and join. Just that it might take a while for the character to be used in a case.
fair enough. not to worry, though, I have plenty of ideas.

Hi, a quick question! I have a character concept, but I'm not really sure if it could fit within lore, so I'm asking before I start getting too invested in it.

Are ghosts capable of possessing people within this universe? The plan for my character would to write a ghost who has been bound to a mask/general face accessory, and they would be capable of possessing those who put it on. Think of it as similar to SCP-963; though, there's always the option of just wrenching the mask off someone's face and having them snap back to reality, though there be consequences of they had been possessed for quite a while.

The character would've possessed an agent of the organization, either coercing them to put it on or... by more direct means, and just infiltrated Enigma, though it was more for shits and giggles than any actual malevolent purpose. But I'm not quite sure if Enigma could be able to ignore one of their agents acting extremely weird, or if they have some way of detecting possession, or if possession is even possible, so it would nice to know. Thanks, and sorry for the lore dump!

Hi, a quick question! I have a character concept, but I'm not really sure if it could fit within lore, so I'm asking before I start getting too invested in it.

Are ghosts capable of possessing people within this universe? The plan for my character would to write a ghost who has been bound to a mask/general face accessory, and they would be capable of possessing those who put it on. Think of it as similar to SCP-963; though, there's always the option of just wrenching the mask off someone's face and having them snap back to reality, though there be consequences of they had been possessed for quite a while.

The character would've possessed an agent of the organization, either coercing them to put it on or... by more direct means, and just infiltrated Enigma, though it was more for shits and giggles than any actual malevolent purpose. But I'm not quite sure if Enigma could be able to ignore one of their agents acting extremely weird, or if they have some way of detecting possession, or if possession is even possible, so it would nice to know. Thanks, and sorry for the lore dump!
This was an excellent idea. There are two things here that you could do and yes ghosts can possess people though it wouldn't be as easy for a ghost to possess a human. A demon would make it significantly easier and last longer. For a ghost, I will only reference intelligent ghosts for this. They have to manifest a lot of energy to take control of someone. They aren't the same as a demon or an angel who has never existed physically and has divine or demonic powers that can manipulate human emotions. A person depending on their emotional state might become possessed easier by a ghost but the ghost would eventually have to release the person as it would take a lot of energy. Perhaps this will be the next topic I put into the Lore Thread.

Now I do like how there is no apparent reason for them wanting to infiltrate the organization. But keep in mind there are wards at the facility they work in that act to keep things inside the facility but they work both ways. The ward is indiscriminate to what the intentions of the possessor are. If the possessed person were to enter the possesser would either be forced out of the body or trapped in the facility. Another thing worth noting is while not all Enigma agents can see and speak with spirits there are still some who can pick up on such things. Thus it would be pretty difficult to sneak past them without being discovered.

Thanks for the quick answer! Well, having a ghost/spirit possessing people willy-nilly seems to be out of the picture now, so I suppose I could just modify the species? Hypothetically, I could create a devil that possesses someone, but I'm not quite sure about the role they play. Are they all fundamentally evil, like Biblical devils? Or are they more of the D&D type, being mostly evil but with a capability to be swayed? My other option would be to have the character being some form of changeling or fae, but uh, still haven't worked how that would exactly work, yet.

And hm, yeah, I suppose I would have to find some way around it if I had to explain why they wouldn't just get straight-up booted (or exorcised) of the agency. Are there any ways to bypass detection from other people with affinities for spirits/other races?

Thanks for the quick answer! Well, having a ghost/spirit possessing people willy-nilly seems to be out of the picture now, so I suppose I could just modify the species? Hypothetically, I could create a devil that possesses someone, but I'm not quite sure about the role they play. Are they all fundamentally evil, like Biblical devils? Or are they more of the D&D type, being mostly evil but with a capability to be swayed? My other option would be to have the character being some form of changeling or fae, but uh, still haven't worked how that would exactly work, yet.

And hm, yeah, I suppose I would have to find some way around it if I had to explain why they wouldn't just get straight-up booted (or exorcised) of the agency. Are there any ways to bypass detection from other people with affinities for spirits/other races?

From humans yes a demon or a spirit could hide their presence. But if it were something like another ghost or even a vampire that can see ghosts it wouldn't vampires because they have a spectral vision from being undead. But you still wouldn't be able to keep the wards of the facility affecting the demon in some way. Demons work pretty predictably, they are deal makers. Demons are also commonly fickle creatures even though they all bow to Lucifer it is not because they are loyal to him it is out of fear. If you are interested in playing a demon perhaps connect with spiralingheretic spiralingheretic as her character has a demon trapped in a pocketwatch. This is only a suggestion you can craft your character as you see fit as long as it works within the realms of the RP. Alternatively, you could be a demon with a body under possession on a watchlist that requires regular check-ups from Enigma. Once we have a handler I will present a few topics for a case and we can talk about which one would be fun to do. A demon antagonist could also be a part of this.

Name: Ira Hawthorne
Race: Human
Hometown: Salem, MA
Current Residence: Salem, MA
Talents/Skills:
  • Memory - With a keen mind for knowledge, he keeps at least a rudimentary recollection of things he has read before
  • Resourcefulness - Between contacting acquaintances for information or tracing the whereabouts for specific tomes, there is little that can come between him and what he's looking for, if he sets his mind to it
  • Warlock's Heritage - While lacking in practical experience, he grew up surrounded by his family's artifacts

Physical Characteristics
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 162 lbs
Eye Color: Hazel
Hair Color: Dark, cool brown with the first stray grey hairs at his temples
Skin Color: The washed out tan of a man who spends most of his time between filing cabinets
Ira very much leans into the stereotypical image of a Cambridge professor - between his thinly rimmed, round glasses, ink stained fingers and a distinct preference for wool and tweed, he gives the air of constantly needing to be surrounded by ancient tomes.
Strengths:
  • Emotional Intelligence - Quick to pick up on social cues
  • Charm - Projecting a warm and even demeanor, and more than willing to smooth-talk his way into a new lead or around some beaurocratic red tape
Weaknesses:
  • Restlessness - The amount of coffee he's had today far outweighs the hours of his sleep
  • Physical Weakness - About as physically intimidating as a field mouse, and looks like a gust of wind could knock him to the ground
  • Pedantry - Not only delights in showing off his own knowledge, but is also insistent on needling out the details in the statements of other people
History
Born in Jerusalem, Ira remembers none of his time there as his mother, Jolene Hawthorne, returned back to her hometown with him before he turned two years old, leaving an unknown father and her university grant behind.
He never could find out how long she had been an obsessive collector of occult grimoires - some fake, some not -, but he fondly remembers his early childhood full of fairy tales and myths told by his mother during walks or dinner, and listening to her read from her newest acquisitions. Her travels left him behind with extended family - distant cousins, in relation, not demeanor - to attend school. And while he was never popular, he managed to blend in with his peers well enough.
The older he got, the more distant she became, spending more and more time abroad and locking herself in her office when she was home, leaving him to peruse their own private library. Things finally came to a head while he was away for his own studies - deciding to persue a degree in archival science.
Two killed and three injured in a ritualistic murder, Jolene Hawthorne confessed but commited suicide before standing trial.

When an investigator from the Enigma came to question him in his potential involvement 12 years ago, he finally found some of the answers he had been seeking. Perhaps it was to spite his mother, perhaps he did not wish for anyone else to follow her delusions by letting her books fall in the wrong hands - he donated the library he inherited to the Proctor House Facility, along with his services.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back