• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Emptying the Golden Throne

Ada squealed and hugged Val. She hadn't overheard their conversation and it hadn't even occurred to her that Val might want to leave.

"Thank you!" She seemed overjoyed that her request was granted.

Arthur coughed. "For now, Ada and I have business to discuss. If you two would return to Miss Val's chambers. I assume the Kirkland brothers are also there?"

Ada nodded, a smile still on her face.

"Wonderful," Arthur said briskly. It was hard to tell whether he meant it or not. "Ada?"

Ada shot Val a glance and opened her mouth, wondering if she should ask her to come along, then deciding against it she followed Arthur in a different direction than the one to her old room.

--

When Val and Wyn opened the door, Alex jumped to his feet. Matthew stayed seated but an expression of hope was etched on his face.

"What's going on? Where's Ada?" Alex demanded. They had not heard anything since the girls had left.

Val wasn't sure if she shared Ada's excitement because of how she currently felt, or if it were something else. Regardless of what it was, Wyn looked more than eager to return to what was now Val's room.

Upon entering, Alex demanding answers, Wyn ignored them and headed for the bed. Giving an exaggerated sigh upon falling into it. Left to explain, Val looked up at the two, not all that sure how to say it.

"She... the Queen went to take care of something with Lord Walpole." Hopefully they'd get the message.

Matthew watched as Wyn collapsed onto the bed. He must be exhausted. His eyes widened at Val's words.

"What the Queen? We don't have a queen. She died in childbirth..." Alex's voice slowly trailed off as he finally put the pieces together and the tone turned sharp once more. "The king is dead!?! What? Did your brother? No, he's too weak. Did Ada?"

He hesitated on the last sentence. He hoped the implication was clear. He couldn't think of his sweet girlfriend harming, much less killing, anyone.

"I'd be lying if I said she didn't consider it." Val sighed. "But no. He had tried to gain immortality by using Wyn's blood. It... didn't work, thankfully I might add. If it did, he would've tried the same thing on Ada."

Alex's face paled and it looked like he was about to demand more answers from Val, before Matthew cut in.

"I'm sure you're tired. We all are. Your face is still pale and I doubt you've enough from what happened to you. If Ada is the next in line, then she is probably very busy. It might take hours for her to return. Why don't we all get some rest?"

Valoire sent Matt a thankful look as he cut Alex off, nodding before turning and entering the bedroom. Lying beside her brother, who was fast asleep, she soon was as well. Relieved that things were finally calming down.

It wasn't long before Alex and Matthew finally got some rest too, using the extra pillows and blankets the maid had provided.

The meeting had taken less time. Arthur had led her to the king's office, directed her to take a seat behind the desk. She couldn't help but notice that at first glance, it looked a bit like her own messy desk in Cambridge. Picture frames with Ada and her mother, or her mother and the king were the only things that seemed in place. Ada quickly turned them downwards.

Arthur began to pace around behind her, droning on about the coronation ceremony, the king's funeral and what would be expected of her as queen. Ada took little in. It was finally sinking in that she actually had to run this kingdom. She hadn't the faintest idea where to start.

"Of course, parliament could over most of the governing and you would be free to spend most of your time at Cambridge."

Ada's head snapped up. "Really?" But she remembered the king's words on her first night and her face fell.

"Something wrong?" Arthur asked.

"Would they even want me back?" Ada asked quietly. "Was I just there to make the King happy?"

Arthur gave her a small smile. "Perhaps, Babbage and I never corresponded much, but he was always talking about what you did. Why don't you give him a call?"

Ada nodded and Arthur left her alone. She picked up the phone on her desk and asked the switchboard operator to direct her tothe Bletchley room in Cambridge

"Ada? I saw you in the Evening Tribune! I had no idea you were the princess" She recognized that voice. "Hey, Alan."

"Ada? What's wrong?"

"It's.... can I talk to Babbage?"

Alan must have noticed something was up. He and Ada usually used the affectionate nickname, Cabbage, for their project leader. "Alright."

"Adeline? I was wondering when you would call. I know you're probably busy but I do hope you can continue with your work. Alan has been going on non-stop about how the machine won't execute his instructions properly. He complains it needs a woman's touch."

Ada laughed. "You... you really want me back? You and the university didn't just accept me because of my father? Because..."

Babbage was silent. "I admit I was skeptical at first, that they were admitting a woman into Cambridge, but it wasn't long before we all realized how wrong we were. Ada, my Analytical Machine would not be what it is today without you."

Ada grinned. "It won't be easy, but Mr. Walpole said I could. I will call you later. Maybe you can even move your research here! Anyways, I have to go. There is lots of work to be done, and say hi to Alan and Joan for me too!"

She hung up, elated at the good news and was about to head back to tell her friends the good news before Arthur dragged her off to more meetings and finally Roberta ushered her into her new room to sleep.

It was morning before she could visit her friends again. Alex and Matt had both slept in.

Val, Wyn, Matt, and Alex had all slept in. Wyn looked more than comforble in a mess of sheets and pillows while his sister had kept to one side of the bed, thankfully not taking up much room or she would've most likely been pushed off.

Even when Ada would enter the room, they were all still deeply asleep.

Ada moved to wake Alex first.

"Uhhh... Wazzzup, is that the face of an angel?" Alex's eyes blinked open "Ads!" Alex sat up and hugged his girlfriend.

"That's Queen Ads to you now" Ada laughed.

"What's going on? Nobody's told us anything!" Matthew sounded frustrated.

"In a minute. Where are Val and Wyn?" Ada asked.

For a fleeting moment, Ada's stomach sank. What if they'd taken the fey siblings?

"Back there" Matt pointed to her old bedroom.

Ada opened the door. "Val? Wyn?"

She opened the door right on time to see Wyn roll over, squishing Val beneath him. Giving a startled cry, she would scramble to get out from underneath him, eventually rolling off the bed and landing on the floor.

Standing she passed Wyn an annoyed look, the elf still deeply asleep.

"He's always been a deep sleeper." She sighed before climbing back onto the bed and giving him a rough shake. Blinking his eyes open, Wyn would groan before sitting up and running a hand down his face.

"So her majesty graces us with her presence." He said when finally noticing Ada, his tone reflecting the current look in his eyes, though it was noticeably less hostile than normal.

Ada looked ticked off. She supposed she shouldn't have expected things to change just because of what happened in the basement. Before she could say anything, a hand was on her shoulder.

"You should show more respect,"

"Whatever," Ada dismissed. She sat on the dresser table while Alex sat on the stool and Matthew leaned against the door. Both brothers were shooting looks at Wyn, as if they didn't really trust him. She explained their arrangements and offered them all a place in the castle.

"Well... in that case, I'd like my old job back," He leaned back on the ottoman and propped his feet up on the bed. "It was hell working for the King but I'm sure you'll be better. We still have a war to win after all,"

Matthew considered this. "I.... don't know. I could go back to writing?"

"Maybe we can ask Mr Walpole for something" Ada said. "Or I'm thinking of moving my research here. You could probably help us then." She turned to the fey. "Val, you're already my lady in waiting. Wyn, what are you planning to do?"

The pair listened, although Wyn simply appeared more exhausted than he was yesterday. Still as they were addressed they answered.

"With Val being your lady in waiting." He began. "I would like to stay, but I have no real goal... not anymore at least."

With the king dead... his previous plan was already complete. And seeing as he had no interest in killing Ada off... what else was there for him to do?

Val would lean on him while he fell silent, knowing he felt pretty lost but not knowing what else to say.

Ada looked at him. "You could stay on. Maybe as an advisor. Help me treat the fey better." She said. The image of green lit tanks in the dank dungeon still haunted her.

"Yeah! And maybe we can pin down the scientific qualities of Magic!" Alex said excitedly. "You said you have trouble finding a job right?"

Wyn nodded slowly at what Ada had said but rolled his eyes at Alex, gesturing to himself.

"Oh please, anyone would hire me. Besides, I would rather not be strapped to a metal table anymore."

Alex's face paled. "Oh man I'm sorry, I totally forgot,"

"I'm sure that's not what he meant," Ada said considerately. "But speaking of scientific qualities of magic, how would I get one of those rings?"

As Ada asks about the ring, Wyn would get a slightly confused look before understanding what she meant.

"Anything can be enchanted. I use the ring because it's what I practiced on as a child."

"And me." Val would slip in, her brother giving her a nudge. "And you."

Ada seemed to be lost in thought for a moment, then she opened the drawer of her old dresser, filled with neatly arranged jewelry the king had bought her. Most of it didn't fit her style but there was a simple necklace with a silver chain and a large colorless gemstone attached, perhaps made of diamond or crystal. Ada didn't know the difference.

"Glow," She said simply, and it lit up. Grinning, she took off her current sapphire necklace and put the new one on.

"I'm not sure if they mentioned, but this isn't my room anymore. It's Val's." She said. "They'll be coming later today to move my stuff, and you guys will get your own rooms too," As she glanced inside the dresser and into her closet, she realized she didn't want to keep many of these clothes. Her eyes lit up. "And if you're going to be part of my entourage. you'll need better clothes. We can ask the tailor to come here tomorrow!"

Matthew didn't think it sounded remotely fun, but he wasn't going to say no to free clothing.

The group wasn't happy about shopping, but still after all of Ada's things were moved out, they all gathered in what was now her room to be met by the tailor. He was an older man that greeted them all with a small smile, but when he saw Val standing beside Wyn, grew slightly confused.

Squinting he would comment "I never knew a child was brought into the castle. Are you taking her in your highness?"

Valoire simply had a grimance pass over her face while Wyn buried his face into a hand, although unable to hide a muffled laugh. She was the height if a child and with not appearing as mature as she should for her age... it wasn't too far fetched for someone to get confused.

Ada let out an airy laugh, hopefully, one which made neither Val or the tailor feel bad.

She was still grinning from ear to ear. It was obvious she loved her new life. "No, no, no, this is my lady in waiting, Valorie, her brother Wyn, and my good friends Matthew and Alexander Kirkman" It was only now that Ada realized she never got Val and Wyn's last names. "All five of us will be needing new clothes, Val in particular. She's... err.... changed height since her last fitting. I assume you've brought us examples of styles for us to pick from?"

Ada carried herself so confidently, one would never have guessed she wasn't used to entertaining a tailor. She learned from her mother that as long as she carried herself with confidence, people will believe her. She usually walked into the shop to get her clothes made and numerous styles were on display. Still, she wouldn't be surprised if she had said something which the tailor would need to correct. She didn't count on the fact that, usually, people wouldn't correct the King.

The tailor would nod. "Alright, and yes I did bring them like always..." he would still pass Val a curious glance. The woman not commenting on this.

He then began to fit them. Ada first, as she was queen. Then Alex and Matt until finally it was Wyn and Val's turn. The elf went first, not taking all that kindly to being poked, prodded, and such. Finally finishing with her, the tailor thanked them for their time and would promptly leave.

"That was an experience." Wyn grumbled, passing an annoyed look around the room. "At least you weren't mistaken for your sister's daughter." Val sighed, Wyn rolling his eyes. "Don't tempt me, because I will make you shorter."

Alex ran his fingers through the sample silk suit jacket. It was expensive. Way too expensive. He probably doubled the number of clothes in his wardrobe today. Even the work shirt he'd ordered was probably worth more than all the clothes his family had in his childhood combined. In the back of his mind, he couldn't help but think how many mouths he could have fed with the money he spent today. How much money was taken directly from those mouths?

Matthew looked at Val curiously. "I don't mean to pry but what did happen to you in the basement? I mean... other than getting shorter."

"She has?" Alex asked. "I didn't notice"

Ada put her palm over her face. Of course, he wouldn't notice.

Valoire was silent for a moment as he asked. "If you want to know what happened specifically, they injected Wyn's blood into me. It made me less human and more fey hence the change in height. The same thing would've happened to Ada if the king had lived as we're both part fairy."

Then Alex announced that he hadn't noticed her getting shorter, which was difficult to believe. She had previously been 5' 3" which that had been reduced significantly to around 4' 5". She was about to simply comment on it when Wyn had a different idea. Before the woman could speak, he would suddenly grasp onto her without warning. Giving a small cry of surprise, it would fade as her form shrank, soon becoming lost in the folds of her clothing which were on the floor.

"Now do you notice?" He asked with his trademark grin.

Ada and Matt gasped.

"Whoa!" Alex gawked. "Isn't that the same thing that happened to Ada when she put on the ring?"

Matthew nodded.

Ada knelt down next to the pile of squirming fabric. "You know that would be horribly inconvenient... couldn't you enchant the clothes to shrink with you?"

"It's because, like she had said before, she's nearly a pureblooded fey now. So she had that ability now." Wyn told Alex while Ada knelt down beside her with her suggestion.

The squirming paused for a moment, before the fabric began to shrink as well, a miniature and annoyed yet dressed Val on the floor beside her brother.

Ada seemed awed and was still staring at the tiny Val.

Matt looked at Wyn, "You're also nearly pureblood right? Do you have special powers?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back