• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Empire City: The Irish Mob - Bonus Scenes (Closed)

Main
Here
OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
James Porter
~ Sunday 14th November 1971 ~
~ Porter Mansion ~​

1594292457512.pngJames toyed with the Velcro of the the support strap around his wrist, though kept looking to Syd as he spoke. "Your mother and I said you can stay for as long as you need to, so I can't see either of us trying to ship you off back to your own house in a hurry," James assured him. "When you're ready to leave, then you tell us and maybe we'll consider letting you go. Though Luce might make you leave the twins with her so she can knit more clothes for them," he teased.

Syd expressed his concerns for his own mental state and that the kids might end up seeing him if he had one of his episodes. James let out a sigh before getting up onto his feet and facing Syd directly, placing his hand lightly on his son's shoulder. "You can't keep imagining negative things like that. You need to focus on imagining all of the things you want your kids to see and how you're going to do it." James pulled his hand away and instead rested it on the weight storage rack next to him. "But. I'm not pretending everything's going to be perfect and that you're going to be completely recovered, with all days good ones. That's why you're going to have to be honest with yourself, with Roxie, with your mother and with me. At the first sign of any kind of relapse or struggle, you need to acknowledge it so we can tackle it straight away. Don't be afraid of being judged or of anyone taking you away from your family again. We've all made mistakes and what we've learned from them is we need to start talking more. The slightest concern and you must talk to someone."

When Syd asked James if he thought he was ready to be a father, James let out a brief chuckle and shrugged his shoulders. "No... I mean, I don't think anyone's truly ready, no matter how much they think they might be. Having tried to look out for Elijah and been paid to protect the likes of Sinead when she was younger, I thought looking after my kids would be a breeze in comparison. When you and your sisters came to live with me and Luce, I realised I was so out of my depth. The tantrums, squabbling, homework, crying... fucking hell, it had been easier taking down a group of Vinnie's goons. It took a bit, but I like to think I got the hang of it." James folded his arms and rolled his eyes. "When Thomas came along, I realised I still wasn't as ready as I thought I was. A tiny little human needing me 24/7. It was pretty intimidating. But you know what? After the first few diaper changes and the first few struggled attempts to stop him from crying, it suddenly felt natural." James scratched the back of his head as he remembered the original question his son had asked. "I didn't read any books, so you're already a step ahead of me on that one and it certainly can't hurt to have that knowledge. But don't stress yourself about it all going in, because whoever wrote those books isn't you and they don't have your experiences, nor did they care for the babies you'll be caring for. I think you're as ready as you can be and the fact you're showing so much concern and consideration assures me of that. You won't get everything right the first time, but nobody does. As long as you're ready to commit to making sure your daughters have the best life you can give them, then you will be the best kind of parent. You'll surely be better than I was," he scoffed at his own expense.

Sunday 14th November 1971
~ Porter Mansion ~

Syd Porter

1594292590778.png Their conversation about the impact of Warren’s death had set a calm atmosphere between them. James’ ability to open up without getting too upset was enough to encourage Syd to hold himself together, too. There wasn’t much that could protect him from rapidly spiralling when he started thinking about his problems, but his father had a great influence on him and the honest feelings that they were sharing made him feel secure and comfortable. When James placed a hand on his shoulder, Syd took a deep breath and looked him in the eye. The advice he gave drew a pensive smile from him as he realised that he had been concentrating far more on what he wanted to protect his children from than on what he wanted to introduce them to. However, his expression fell serious once again when he told him his mental health would need to be taken even more seriously.

“Yeah, you’re right,” he sighed, crossing his arms and looking down to the ground between his feet. “I want to be able to talk from the start, but sometimes the first sign of it comes with a voice that shames me into keeping it all inside. You know, like...nobody has time for you, you’re acting like a child, you’ll only make everyone else’s lives harder, what kind of man can’t handle it on his own?” Syd paused to chew on his lip for a moment and glanced at his father. “I know it’s stupid, and it’s not really what I believe - not now, anyway. But when I’m in that state, it’s hard to reason with it. I don’t want to talk to counsellors anymore, I can’t open up to them properly. It needs to be someone I trust, like you or mam or Roxie or Jackson or Aliana or Sinead...but you’re all always dealing so much other pain and heartache, and when you’re not, I don’t want to give you any more. What I’m saying is, I understand that it’s important and I do want to try, but I just...can’t make promises on behalf of myself when I’m unwell. So, if I ever don’t let you in for whatever reason...please just be there for Roxie and the girls. Do whatever is best for them, even if I tell you not to. I trust your judgement far more than mine. Will you do that for me?”

On the subject of raising children, James’ description of his first go at parenting put an amused grin on Syd’s face. “Tantrums, squabbling, crying...sounds like me on a normal day,” he commented with a self-deprecating chuckle. “You really dived in at the deep end adopting three demanding, messed-up kids, huh?” For a moment he reflected on how hard he must have been to raise after the bad start he had had and with his boundless energy, need for attention and unaddressed trauma. It wasn’t something he thought about in detail very often, but it had come up enough times during his counselling sessions and he had been grateful to his parents for changing his life and showing him unconditional love ever since he had learned to accept it. “I’ll say you got the hang of it alright. If I can be even half the dad you were to me, my girls will be just fine. I already love them so much.”

His father then went on to describe the lessons he learned while raising Thomas from birth, which were vastly different from adoption. “God, he cried all the fucking time! Babies may have tiny lungs but they damn well know how to use them…” It was funny to think back on it now, but when his daughters were born he was sure he wouldn’t find the sleepless nights so amusing. His grin softened into a tender smile when his father expressed his confidence in him to be a great parent. “Ah, there’s no way I could do a better job than you. You’re not the reason I’m all messed up, dad - you and mam and this family you brought me into, that showed me what love is, what effort is, and work and gratitude and to not take things for granted. What’s worth fighting for, worth living for. If I hadn’t had you for parents, I’d be a nobody - just the shit on somebody’s shoe.”

Syd gazed down to the floor again as he thought about how he could pass all of that onto his own children. “I love my daughters and I feel committed to giving them the best life I can give them. You know - don’t spoil them, teach them important life lessons, listen to them, always make time for them no matter what...give them the attention they need and opportunities to explore life the way they want to live it." He gave a small sigh. "That’s what I want to do, anyway. In reality, I’m not so sure my concern will come out like that. It’s hard to be in this business without wanting to shield the kids from harm. I mean, look at Savvy - she can’t go outside without worrying about who’s watching her. She puts on a show and gets kidnapped; goes out into town and gets grabbed again by the same guys; goes on a date and ends up having to kill a guy to save her own life. Like, Christ...I’ll never want to let my kids out the front door, you know? I’ll be suspicious of every friend they make, wanting guards surrounding their school...There must be a way to do it, because you were the boss the whole time you raised me and Delilah and Mallory and I don’t feel like you ever kept us caged. Not much more than a curfew, anyway. And Thomas seems to enjoy his life, despite the things he’s seen.” Looking to his father, Syd shook his head and shrugged. “I guess I just want them to love me back and not resent me for anything.”

James Porter
~ Sunday 14th November 1971 ~
~ Porter Mansion ~​

1594292762697.png"If you're not comfortable seeing a counsellor, then that's fine, but you have to speak to one of us. I mean it, Syd. All the people you just mentioned, plus more, will never turn their back on helping you. We can multi-task, you know. Not to mention all the spare time I have now." James slowly nodded his head when asked to be there for Roxie and the kids if Syd shut everyone out. "Yeah, of course I will. I'll probably have to try knock some sense into you, though," he drily joked.

James flashed a small smile as Syd complimented him and Lucy for the love they'd shown him and the life they'd given him. "You've got a lot going for you now, Syd. You've sprung back from a lot of shit and as bad as it has been, you should look at it as a learning curve rather than a curse. When I was younger, I went through some pretty rough stuff, both in and out of jail, but without all of that, I don't think I'd have got this far. For a brief time, I could have been the shit on Romano's shoe, but I forced myself to improve, fight back, and learn from the worst experiences. You can do it too."

"You can only shield them for so long, unfortunately. I expect a time will soon come when Thomas wants more freedom, just like you and your sisters did. Until the IWU became a problem, it had been easy letting you and the girls have more freedom. When things kicked off, we tried to impose curfews, but there was a lot of resistance from you lot and I realised I couldn't keep you all under lock and key. You just have to find the right balance and judge the situation as appropriate." He paused to think about Savannah's recent traumas. "I remember back in Dublin, Sinead wouldn't let her kids out of her sight. She refused to entertain the idea of sending them to school. But as Savvy got older she begged her parents to let her go to school and be normal. Sinead agreed because she knew she couldn't shield her family forever. I wish it was possible for Savvy to lead her life without being fearful that someone could attack her any moment. But she could easily give in to that and hide away. Instead, she's still getting auditions and seeking a career that puts her in the spotlight more than most. If Sinead and Pete had continued to keep her under lock and key for the last ten years, she would have grown to resent them. I'm sure if I'd never let you out of the front door, you'd look at me less favourably now too. All I'm saying is, I don't have a right answer for this because you're just going to have to figure it out for you and your family as you go along."

Friday 18th February 1972
~ Syd and Roxie's House, Oakland Gardens ~

Syd Porter

original (1)b.gif With Roxie recovering from surgery and the twins having to be kept in an incubator, Syd had spent every waking moment at the hospital with them, save for the occasional trip to work. The nights, of course, he had to spend back at home in his own bed. It was his first time living alone in the house for several months and that only made him more impatient for them to be discharged. He couldn’t stand the silence of an empty house - yet, while before it had seemed dead and depressing, now it only brewed anticipation. Any day, all that emptiness would disappear and never come back and so Syd no longer felt lonely. In fact, he couldn’t stop smiling.

That day came just two days after the birth. The house was fully set up and prepared for their return so there wasn’t much work to be done on their arrival. Syd’s heart swelled at the sight of their two baby girls sleeping together, and spent a long time watching over their crib before deciding to go and check on Roxie.

“They’re like little angels,” he told her when he entered her bedroom. His face was set in a warm smile and he spoke softly to match the peaceful atmosphere. “Do you have everything you need? Are you comfortable enough?” Syd rounded the bed and carefully lay beside her, propping himself up against the headboard. After everything she had been through, he couldn’t help but worry about her. He himself had put her through a great deal with his severe mental health problems, but then she had suffered a deeply traumatic kidnapping, lost her father at the hands of her boyfriend, given birth prematurely and now that the twins were no longer growing inside her, she was having to adjust to being alone. Syd couldn’t imagine what that must feel like, but he was desperate to help her return to her old self. He wasn’t even sure if he completely knew what she had been like before he had entered her life.

Looking down at Roxie with a tender smile, Syd wrapped his arm around her and dropped a small kiss on her head. The excitement of having his new family home had worn him out, but before he could sleep he wanted to make sure everyone else was fully settled for the night. “Welcome home, my love,” he murmured gently. “I have a feeling that life is gonna get better for us, now. Now we’re all here together, everything’s gonna be okay." Syd leaned his head against hers and stroked her soft hair, assuring her that he was staying awake. "Just go to sleep, don’t worry about a thing. I’ve got you.”

Roxie Carriveau
Roxie had spent two restless nights in the hospital before she was finally allowed to go home with the babies. Despite being small in size, the girls were doing just fine and gaining weight every day. The ride home was full of chatter and when Roxie saw their house, she smiled widely and tiredly with relief. The girls were fast asleep in their car seats but were startled away when Syd gently grabbed the seats from the car. Roxie wasn’t allowed to lift anything too heavy for the first week or so besides the babies. The day soon blended into the night and Roxie was getting ready for bed while Syd made sure the girls were snuggled into their crib. Much to her relief, the girls were on a pretty good sleeping schedule but Roxie was sure that would change with time. Stiffly, she shrugged off her clothes and pulled a nightgown over her head before climbing into bed. Syd entered a few minutes later and told Roxie that the girls were little angels. Smiling at him as he asked if she had everything she needed, Roxie nodded her head, ”As comfortable as I can be, I think. The pain meds should kick in any moment so I’ll be able to get some sleep.” Watching as he propped himself against the headboard, Roxie scooted closer to him as he wrapped his arm around her and kissed her on the head.

Her eyes were starting to get heavy but she fought her body to stay away just a little bit longer as Syd welcomed her home. He told her that he thought everything was going to be okay now and Roxie sluggishly nodded her head in agreement. A yawn escaped her just as he told her to go to sleep, not having to worry about a thing. She trusted him to hold her for a while as she slept. But instead of falling asleep right away like he suggested she had a few things on her mind, ”I miss them, you know?” She mumbled, ”I know they are right in the other room...but I just miss having them so close to me. I just feel...empty.” Roxie moved her head slowly to look up at her boyfriend’s face. ”Thank you for being here for me, I know that dealing with me isn’t the easiest thing to do right now. I love you, Syd.” She whispered softly before she cuddled her head into his chest. She desperately hoped that now she wasn’t in the hospital that sleep would find her but it seemed to be taking a little while for it to make it’s way to her.

Instead of falling asleep right away, Roxie just stared ahead towards the mirror that was hung across from the front of the bed. Taking in both of their appearances, it was clear that being parents was already starting to take it’s toll and they had the help of the nurses and doctors in the hospital for the two days before. Her mind went to the night she went into labor, how she yelled at Syd suddenly about her father. Eyebrows furrowing together, she thought about how they were going to have that awkward conversation now that the babies were born. Thinking about her family, she felt wrong for not calling her mother or anyone else in her family to tell them that the babies had been born. She knew what her mother thought of her pregnancy but she was in some capacity more supportive of her than her father had been..maybe she should call her? After a moment, she knew that it was probably better to leave such phone calls for the morning so once again, she found herself cuddling into Syd’s chest, this time closing her eyes to sleep.

Syd Porter

Between the chaos that they had both endured and the chaos yet to come from being new parents, Syd appreciated the calm moments when he could lay down with his girlfriend. With his sleep disorder preventing them from sharing a bedroom, it wasn’t often that they spent much time in each other's arms during the quiet, late evening hours. He rested his head against Roxie’s and let his vision soften as he listened. He would never know the same feeling of emptiness that she was going through with the twins. The closest he could relate to it was his need to be near to his family. Travelling didn’t agree with him in the slightest, purely for the combination of missing home and being unable to watch over and protect the people he loved. It wasn’t the same, but Syd imagined there to be some kind of similar separation anxiety within her. He peered down to her when she tilted her head to look at him and sent her a gentle smile. “Being with you is the easiest thing in the world,” he assured her. “I love you, too.”

With Roxie asleep, Syd crept back down the corridor towards the nursery where the babies were sleeping to check up on them one last time. All was peaceful, the only sound a distant lullaby resounding in his head. He began to hum along to it as he padded through a beam of moonlight over to the cribs until they were eclipsed by his shadow. But when he placed his hand upon them, he found nothing but a heap of blankets. Confused, Syd scrambled through the bedsheets, checking the other crib in case he had forgotten which crib he had put them in. But the twins weren’t there.

“Roxie?” he called out nervously. He was certain he had left her sleeping in bed, but if she didn’t have them then he had no idea where else they could be. “Roxie, where are Jeanie and Jane? They’re not in their crib. Where -” Syd spun around, ready to sprint out of the room and find her, but the door had been obscured by the darkness. Roxie stepped out of the shadows, her features warped by fury and hatred and tears adding a devilish glint to her eyes. She was wearing a white laboratory coat. “You took them from me,” she slowly drew out, barely above a growl. “You...you took my babies away from me, and now they’re gone.”

“No,” Syd argued, shaking his head and stepping over to her. “No, I didn’t, they’re not gone. I-I didn’t touch them, Roxie! I didn’t, I swear on my life -” No matter how much he denied the accusation, Roxie only repeated what she had said before. Syd got on his knees and grabbed onto her coat, desperate for her to listen to him as he continued to grovel. But as he tugged at her clothes, trying to pull her down to him, he noticed something that stunned him to silence. Her white coat was now covered in red streaks. Red handprints. Roxie went on repeating herself, and the distant lullaby grew louder, echoing off the boundless wall of darkness that surrounded them. Syd lifted his trembling hands to examine them. They glistened in the moonlight. Slick with blood. Still on his knees, he turned around to look back over at the cribs. They too were stained with blood, dripping through the bars onto the floor.

tumblr_n3q1qg0SLG1sc5kg5o3_500.gif A hair-raising scream erupted from his lungs, momentarily drowning out the din of Roxie’s eerie repetition and the haunting lullaby that stung at his ears. He tried to leap up to reach the crib, to look for his babies, but a hard kick against his back sent him to the floor. A sea of hands forced themselves upon him, trying to hold him down while he did everything he could to fight them off. Somehow, above all the noise and commotion, he could still hear the slow drip...drip...drip...

Suddenly there was a heavy thud, and all the sound shifted. He heard the tail end of a scream, and felt himself choke on an unexpected gasp. The dogs were barking, and he could hear distant high-pitched cries ringing through the walls of the house. His eyes flew open to find Roxie’s head being ground into the floorboards, his hands pressed firmly over her face. Having fallen out of bed with her, he now lay on top of her in a messy heap, his limbs tense and shaking with adrenaline. Not quite understanding that the nightmare was over, Syd pulled himself free from their entwined limbs and flew towards the opposite wall, crashing into the bed and almost falling face first on the floor. Before he could piece together what he had done, his heavy, panicked breathing turned to terrified sobs and he pressed himself into the wall, tossing and turning against it as though he were still in bed, trapped in his nightmare.

After a few seconds, Syd became aware of his surroundings and the shock began to wear off. He touched the wall with his sweaty palm, feeling the bumps in the wallpaper where it had begun to warp with age. His breathing slowed as he took in all the familiar furniture. It was Roxie’s bedroom. But why was he in Roxie’s bedroom?

And then he saw her. Lying on the ground next to the bed. “Rox...Roxie,” he mumbled, taking a cautious step towards her. “Why...What’s…” She looked visibly shaken, her clothes were torn and her face looked like it had been battered. “Did I...D-did I hurt you?” Though his legs were still shaking slightly, he managed to sit down on the floor beside her, the three dogs swarming around them with concern.

Roxie Carriveau
Roxie had fallen into a deep sleep for the first time in a few days. Her own dreams were troubling but she didn’t move an inch as Syd tossed and turned in his sleep beside her. A long white marbled hallway with blurred renaissance painting lining the walls appeared before her and she took small, skeptical steps as her clammy bare feet stuck to the tile beneath her feet. She had been down this hall more times than she could count in her lifetime but she knew where it leads to...”Roxanne.” A voice hiss in a hushed whisper and Roxie was almost pushed towards the tall almost black double doors at the end of the hall. They opened without needing to be pushed and a figure sat in a tall red cushioned office chair behind a grand desk. ”You think you could get rid of me that easily?” Her father’s voice echoed off the walls and just as Roxie opened her mouth to speak, something grabbed her painfully and shoved her off the bed towards the floor.

Crying out as she landed on her stomach harshly, Roxie’s eyes opened wide to see Syd’s hand pushing her head into the ground. ”Syd! Stop! It’s me!” His eyes were full of tears and glossed over, stuck in a terrible nightmare. Roxie struggled under his weight and her carefully placed stitching on her lower stomach began to sting horribly, ripping one after another as more pressure was placed on her back. ”Syd! Please! You’re hurting me!” She cried out and moved her hands to try and grasp his wrist, trying to shove it off of her. The babies shrieked in the next room and before Roxie could muster any more strength to attempt to push him off, he leaped off of her and launched himself across the room.

Roxie stayed perfectly still on the ground as she softly sobbed, pain radiating throughout her whole body as she tried to understand what had happened. After a moment, when she was sure he wouldn’t pounce on her again, Roxie got onto all fours before sitting down on the floor, hunching over as she moved a hand to her stomach, where she felt warm wet blood soaking through her nightgown. Syd mumbled her name and Roxie’s head shot up to look at him with wide fearful eyes. She knew he hadn’t meant to hurt her but she didn’t trust him in that moment and as he moved to sit beside her, she shuffled a few inches away, letting out a hiss as she tried to breathe through the pain.

He asked if he had hurt her and the brunette nodded her head a few times silently. The babies were still wailing away and Roxie moved towards the nightstand to help her stand up so she could tend to them. Legs shaking, she heaved herself up and cursed a few times as she looked down at her gown, which was now torn and covered in blood. ”I think my stitches are open.” She said through thick tears. ”Can you call Finn?” Roxie asked before taking a few deep breaths to pull herself together. Once she felt confident enough to move without falling over, Roxie raced out of the room towards the nursery and cooed to her girls as she moved to lift them both out of their crib. ”It’s okay, shhh, it’s alright girls.” She murmured to them as they cried. Moving towards one of the rocking chairs, she sat down with them and rocked them back and forth comfortingly.

When Syd eventually entered the room, Roxie’s face was already beginning to swell and bruise but regardless of that she offered him the smallest of smiles. ”There’s Daddy, my sweet ones. See? You have nothing to worry about.” Jeanie was already almost asleep again while Jane peered up at Roxie with her big blue eyes. After a moment of cooing at her, Roxie looked up at Syd. ”Guess we can’t sleep together then...”

Syd Porter

1596055076525.png It pained him to see Roxie edge away from him. She didn’t trust him, and he couldn’t blame her. He didn’t trust himself, either. Syd’s eyes followed to where her hand was clutching her stomach, and saw a touch of blood between her fingers. At first he feared that he had slashed her with something, until she announced that her stitches had started to come undone. Syd was too stunned to respond and only nodded when she asked him to call Finn.

Normally he would have tried to stop her from getting up and running out of the room with such injuries, but given that he was the cause of them he felt almost afraid of touching her. She left him sitting on the floor, and a tear rolled down his sullen face as he listened to her tending to their daughters. He had to do something to fix his sleep disorder. If he were ever to fall asleep with the twins, his nightmare would come true.

“Finn,” he muttered down the phone. “Yeah, it’s me...I’m sorry, I know it’s late, but um...Roxie’s stitches have come undone. Please could you come over? Yeah, at Oakland. Thanks…”

Syd didn’t waste any time between hanging up the phone and heading into the nursery. Roxie greeted him before concluding that they still wouldn’t be able to sleep together, and he answered her only with a small shake of the head. He stepped closer towards his family, gently scooping Jane up into his hands since Jeanie was already asleep. “Hey, sweethearts, it’s alright,” he gently murmured, his voice now deep and steady after having recovered from his disturbance. “Everything’s good, my baby. Everything’s good.” He cradled the tiny girl against him, gazing down into her blue eyes until she gave a yawn and settled down to sleep again. He continued to gently bounce with her for a moment before looking up to meet Roxie’s gaze. “Are you alright?” he whispered. Once he had placed Jane back into the crib and tucked her in, he set all his attention on Roxie. “I’m sorry…” Although he felt calm once again, tears formed in his eyes as he took in the sight of her, the first signs of bruising illuminated by the soft night light on the wall. “I’m so sorry I did this to you,” he whispered, one hand raised to his tear-stained face. “It shouldn’t have happened, I shouldn’t have fallen asleep...I just wanted to help you settle down, I just…I’m so sorry.”

Roxie Carriveau
Finn Sullivan

Roxie focused her attention on Jeanie as she slept, taking in the way her little nostrils flared as she took quick yet deep little breaths. The silence was deafening up until Syd asked if she was alright and when she looked up at him, Roxie had tears in her eyes. ”Yea, I’m alright.” She said, her voice cracking a little as she tried to keep herself quiet for the babies. She watched as he set Jane into the crib but Roxie wasn’t ready to let go of Jeanie just yet, feeling like in that moment she needed to not feel as alone as she felt despite Syd being only a few feet away from her. Sniffling, Roxie shook her head as Syd began to apologize, ”No, please, it’s okay. I know you didn’t mean it.” She murmured softly but went silent as Jeanie shifted in her arms slightly, letting out a little yawn before going still once more. ”It’s just...hard right now. We shouldn’t have to sleep in separate beds, Syd. And I know you know that...I’m not trying to make you feel bad for it. I just have been feeling so off these past days since the babies were born and it feels good to have you next to me while I sleep. Just to know that at least someone is there, ya know?” Roxie’s eyes glistened and overflowed with tears as she brought Jeanie closer to her chest.

”I-“ Before she could say anything more, there was someone knocking at the door. Roxie looked towards the hallway before moving to stand to place Jeanie back in her crib. Once the babies were settled, Roxie took Syd’s hand and let him lead her downstairs to answer the door. ”Good morning, you two.” Finn greeted the pair, taking in their rugged appearance with a smile placed on his face. ”That bad, huh?” He joked about their first night with the newborns and Roxie rolled her eyes at the doctor. ”No, the babies are actually angels right now. Please, come in.” Roxie opened the door wide enough for Finn to step through before closing it behind him.

Finn looked around for a moment before looking to Roxie, clearly seeing the blood staining her dress. ”We are going to want you to lay down for this, so let’s get upstairs so I can patch you up.” Roxie nodded, looking to Syd for a moment wondering if they would have to explain what happened. Once they were upstairs in the room, Roxie was instructed to lay down on the bed as Finn delicately moved to start stitching her back up. Considering that she had been on a considerable amount of pain meds before, this time around was increasingly painful but Finn tried to keep it light as he chatted with the pair. ”So are one of you gonna tell me how this happened? You know I have no judgments, but roughhousing is strictly prohibited for Roxie right now. At least for another 3 to 4 weeks.” Roxie hissed lightly and made a grab for Syd’s hand as she felt the needle poking through her tender skin, looking up at him in expectancy to explain what happened.

Syd Porter

1596055076525.png It broke Syd’s heart that he couldn’t give Roxie what she wanted. Now more than ever, she needed someone to hold her at night - one of the very basic requirements of a relationship that anyone else would be able to provide. Yet, once again, Syd was failing her. Of course, like she pointed out, it wasn’t his fault, but it wasn’t much of a consolation to him since he didn’t know how to fix it. “I know,” he mumbled, feeling his face heat up with shame. “That's why I stayed tonight, so you could fall asleep next to me...but then…”

They pair were gratefully interrupted by a knock at the door. Syd heard all three of the dogs file out of Roxie’s bedroom and race down the stairs, tripping over each other in the process. Finn greeted them warmly, but despite his sweet and calm disposition, Syd wasn’t pleased to have had call him over. “Morning,” he uttered, quickly glancing at the clock on the wall. It was still dark outside, with only a few hours having passed since they had gone to bed. His nightclub hadn’t even closed yet.

Syd avoided everyone’s gaze as he helped Roxie up the stairs. “Thanks for coming over, Finn,” he murmured, trying not to wake up the twins again. “I know it’s late…” The bedroom was a mess when they entered, reminding Syd of how wild he had been. The sheets were all tangled together, pulled mostly onto the floor where they had fallen out of bed. It wasn’t rare for his own bedroom to look similar when he awoke - quite often, he found himself on the other side of the room to his bed. But Roxie didn’t usually have to see it, let alone get caught up in it herself. Once she was on the bed, Syd sat beside her and offered her his hand to squeeze, reaching over to stroke her forehead when she began to squirm from the pain. Finn asked them what had happened and he hung his head, letting the room fall into a heavy silence. He wondered if the mess had been enough of a telltale sign.

“It wasn’t that,” he murmured, chewing on his lip anxiously as he gazed down at the floor. “It was...It was me. I accidentally fell asleep next to Roxie and...had one of my things…” His eyes rolled up to meet Finn’s and his leg began to bounce up and down. “You know...the night terrors. And it was a bad one, and I was...hurting her.” Syd glanced to Roxie with an apologetic expression before his shame forced him to look away again. “We just want to be able to sleep together at night. Especially after everything, you know...I wish I could be a comfort. Instead all I am is a threat.”

Roxie Carriveau

Finn Sullivan
Finn listened as the room fell into a heavy silence and wondered what had happened between the pair, it was clear that something had happened where Roxie was hurt, seeing the stitches tore open and a bruise forming on her face, but he didn't want to jump to conclusions. Syd finally spoke, confirming that they weren't roughhousing just for the heck of it. Syd explained that he had one of his night terrors, which was something he had dealt with for a long time. Roxie squirmed and Finn reached out a comforting hand for a moment, smiling her way he said, "You're doing great, just a few more to go." Finn then turned his attention to Syd once more when he said that he was more of a threat than comfort to Roxie.

Pursing his lips, Finn nodded his head in agreement, "It doesn't have to be like this forever, you two." He murmured, hoping to bring some hope to their life as it currently was. "I've known plenty of veterans in the military who have dealt with night terrors, so this isn't surprising to me. But it's important that you try to get some help as soon as you can, Syd." Finn looked up to the young man with a soft smile on his face. "You have a beautiful family that you need to take care of now, can't afford to be losing sleep or hurting one of them. I know you had the horrible encounter with Dr. Parker but I can assure you that not every therapist is out to get you. I can even refer you to one of my closest colleagues in the psychiatric field if you would like?"

Roxie wondered if Syd would ever dare to set foot into therapy again, he had been so traumatized by Dr. Parker that she was almost sure that he wouldn't take this chance to get some help. "Finn is right, love." Roxie murmured gently as she squeezed Syd's hand a little tighter. "I've actually read about these new studies that they are doing, sleep studies and sleep therapy. From what I've heard, they've had a lot of success in that field." Roxie looked to Finn for confirmation that what she was saying was right and the doctor nodded his head in agreement with her.

"Yes, sleep therapy is a relatively new area of study, but since it's brand new it brings a lot of opportunity for success." Finn went quiet for a moment as he finished sewing up Roxie's wound, wiping it clean a few times with an alcohol wipe before standing up straight. "Good as new." He said with a smile as he moved to take his gloves off and threw them into the bin in the room. "For now, I would suggest sleeping in different rooms, but when the time is right and Syd, you get some help with your night terrors, I don't see any reason why you both can't try to sleep together again."

Gabriel Moretti
~ Saturday 12th June 1943 ~
~ Club Valentino, Palermo, Sicily, Italy ~​

1599407515596.pngThe club was full of life with many already drunken revellers on the dance floor moving energetically to the loud, brass band playing on the stage. Gabriel had been granted a few weeks' leave from fighting on the war's front line. Having spent the first four days with his parents at the peaceful - albeit heavily guarded - Palermo mansion, Gabriel had given in to his brother's demands for a night on the town. Along with friends and cousins, the two brothers were occupying one of the best booths in the club that only the powerful were granted access to. The quietest corner of the club allowed for the men's voices to be easily heard amongst their group. Whilst most of the men were knocking back their drinks like there was no tomorrow, Gabriel took a more controlled approach to his drinking. As much as he wanted an escape from the battlefield, he wanted the escape to be to something enjoyable that he could actually remember the following day. He'd lost close comrades in recent weeks and even with the cold exterior his elders had instilled in him, Gabriel was affected by the soldiers' deaths. He didn't wish to drown such grief with alcohol, instead he preferred to respect the feeling and use it as motivation to keep fighting, stronger.

Gabriel found himself drowning out the rowdy voices of his brother and their friends as the boastful content of their words was becoming quite tiresome. He looked away from his empty glass to see a very attractive woman standing at the table, revealing far too much cleavage than he thought was necessary in front of so many men. Francesco nudged Gabriel's arm before cocking his head towards the woman. "So, the guys and I booked out the private room. There's more like her waiting. Come," Francesco said, his naturally overbearing tone making it sound more like an order.

"I'll give it a miss," Gabriel didn't hesitate to tell his brother. "You should too. I hardly think Carlotta would approve of--"

"My wife has no place commanding me." Francesco squeezed his brother's shoulder tightly and looked him in the eyes. "We are Morettis and we take whatever we desire. My wife and children will be waiting for me in the morning." It was clear to the eldest brother that Gabriel wouldn't budge; the hard-wired stubbornness being a Moretti trait. Francesco shook his head but relented. "Suit yourself, brother. Don't wait for me when you want to go home."

With that, Francesco and three members of the group left the table, following the young woman to the private room. Gabriel remained with two of his friends, slowly shaking his head at his brother's behaviour. He found Francesco's behaviour towards his wife and children highly disrespectful, but two men he knew never to question were his father and his brother. That was the chain of respect in his family, with Gabriel being only third in line for leadership.

"I'm going to stretch my legs and get another drink," Gabriel informed his friends before standing up from his seat. The young man approached the bar, ordering himself a strong liquor. After being handed his drink, he chose to remain by the bar, using the central location to take a good look around the place he'd visited many times before. The decor was always the same but many of the people inside were unfamiliar to him. Whilst he may have turned down the offer of a seedy one-night stand, that didn't mean women weren't on his mind. Being 20 years old, he knew once he was officially back from the war, his father's attention would be focused on Gabriel being married off and extending the Moretti bloodline with more children. Gabriel would much rather do it all on his own terms and with a woman he genuinely cared about.

Melanin-Gxdess Melanin-Gxdess

Elvian Montanari
76016b6eb23cc715871a68d62b7df5fe.jpg
For the first time in a while, Elvian Montanari was letting her hair down, living her life just as wild and crazy as her friends. Perhaps the war had to do with this as she felt like you never knew how much time you had left to live. She and her friends decided to take a quick break from life, traveling, and doing things they had been planning to do for months. The nightclub was one of those things, and she was excited about it if she were, to be honest. Normally you wouldn't catch her dead in such a place but this was something different; the world was ending. Her thoughts on this were apparent as she floated through the club dancing. She had long since lost her friends as they were off dancing with random strangers. There were definitely eyes that belonged to men watching her but whenever she sat to take a break or get a drink, she would turn away anyone who tried to talk to her. It discouraged some of the smart men but gave hope to some of the truly stupid ones who thought they had a chance.

Elvian's dating history is a long one. They all ended because she lost interest in them because she was bored. The men that came around her and wanted her attention she felt were just boys. In the past, she thought her facial expressions would guard her against anyone even attempting such a feat. Sitting with her back against the bar, she looked around for her friends happy to have spotted each one. Being the motherly one of the group, she wanted to make sure they were all accounted for. She knew that eventually they would all part ways but it was much too early in the night for that to begin.

The people-watching Elvian couldn't help but do got her in trouble, her eyes lingering on a particular man for longer than she meant. It wasn't that she was interested in him, thought he was attractive or anything of the sort. This same guy she had seen talking to each one of her friends and when they brushed him off, he would move on to the next. Elvian thought it to be a sad, feeble attempt at him aiming far higher than he could reach. In her opinion, if you struck out three times it was time to either switch up your game or just go home. Instead, he was coming towards her for his fourth attempt and she was prepared for it. "Where's your boyfriend tonight?" He immediately asked her, to which she replied. "In the bathroom. And he doesn't like strangers." The faux seriousness in her voice would be enough for any sane man to just leave her be, but obviously it wasn't going to work. "Well, he should know better than to leave an attractive woman unattended." Elvian was doing her best to ignore him and his advances. He stood basically talking to himself for a good few minutes before things turned sour.

"You sure you're not lying about that boyfriend? He's been in the bathroom for an awfully long time." You could tell that the man was getting irritated, all the women he wanted to deny him. Elvian replied saying he was probably looking for her and pushed herself from the bar to try and find a way away from him. It came as a shock to her when he grabbed her wrist and pulled her back. She frowned and slapped him, telling him to let her go and when he did, she cussed him out in Romanian. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw a man walk up to the bar and pushed past the rude one. With a fake smile, she gently placed her hand on his back, "Lubirea mea, my love. You spent a long time away, did you get lost?" She went as though she was going to kiss his cheek, but whispered in his ear to help her and play along.

Gabriel Moretti

1599407515596-png.777676
Gabriel noticed the woman at the bar who was pushing past an annoyed-looking man. She seemed to be walking straight to Gabriel, which gave him plenty of opportunity to take a better look at her and notice just how beautiful she was. The Italian didn't get time to tell himself to get a grip when it turned out the lady was indeed approaching him. Gabriel felt her hand on his back and so he turned to see the smile she planted on her face. The woman spoke to him as though they knew each other, quite well, by the words she was using. Gabriel smiled at her and was about to gently inform she'd got the wrong man; perhaps she'd had too much to drink already. Before he could express his confusion, she leaned in to whisper something in his ear telling him to play along. One glance back to the man stood watching her, it became clear to Gabriel what was going on.

"You know me, darling, I always end up getting distracted by familiar faces," he played along, flashing a convincing smile back at her. His eyes once again landed on the man who had apparently been pestering her. "Is that man bothering you? I can have him removed from this club if he is." Gabriel asked Elvian. He put his arm around her shoulder, making sure not to overstep any boundaries, but his eyes remained on the man who had been bothering her. "Hey. Are you blind or something? Go find somewhere else to stand." The man finally got the message and slumped off away from the bar area. Gabriel soon removed his arm from around Elvian in case he made her uncomfortable. "My apologies. He seemed to be a little slow at getting the message... Are you okay? If he bugs you again, you come straight to me, yes?"

Gabriel took a sip of his drink before deciding to go ahead and take the plunge in striking up a conversation with the pretty woman. It wasn't often he got time to spend around women, with the war stealing him from his life, and this seemed to be a perfect chance. "I'm Gabriel, by the way," he introduced himself, having to consciously stop himself from automatically reaching out to shake the woman's hand. It wasn't a business meeting or anything of the sort! "The language you first spoke, and your accent... I speak three languages and a little bit of German, but I can't quite pinpoint your nationality. Somewhere Eastern Europe, yes?" he asked, his warm smile reflecting his genuine interest.

Melanin-Gxdess Melanin-Gxdess

Elvian Montanari
The chance this plan of hers was going to work had a fifty-fifty chance of working. In the chance that it did work, there was a chance that he could also be a sleazeball that she didn't want to deal with. However, it was better to deal with this quiet-looking male than it was the loud, rambunctious one. Her heart was pounding as she approached the male. Luckily, she was received with open arms and an understanding of her situation. It was a perfect escape and now she was in phase two of the situation; making sure this current man wasn't a creep.

"So easily distracted. I'm just glad I found you; this man here didn't believe I had a boyfriend." Elvian turned her head to face the annoying pest again. "My boyfriend and I would like to enjoy the rest of our evening." She said, the smile still plastered on her face as she heard her savior mention that he should go and leave them alone. Elvian felt something grow within her, like some sort of satisfaction that she not only found someone who could help her get rid of this man but at how effortlessly he had done it. She found herself looking at him again while hearing the departing footsteps.

Once her assailant was gone, she pulled away and took a deep breath. "Thank you, so much. I couldn't shake him for the life of me." She admitted. He then told her to come to him if she had any other problems, making her tilt her head in curiosity. There was really no reason for her to still be talking to this man, he had served his purpose. But the threatening words to him and ones of reassurement to herself made her very interested in what this man's deal was. She nodded her head, understanding if she had an issue with anyone else to come to him. The main reason she was going to stick around was because she was intrigued.

"Gabriel? Nice to meet you. Elvian. Elvian Montanari." She said, sticking her hand out for a firm handshake. Even though they were already in the cheek-kissing portion of their relationship, she still felt it necessary to do. He had mentioned her accent and the language she spoke in, making her smile grow wider. "Most people don't pick up on that. I was born in Italy but my mother is from Romania. She made sure I kept close to both of my roots, especially Romania." It was more information than she had told any man, mostly because they never asked. "Now, where are you from that you know four languages?"

Gabriel Moretti

1599407515596-png.777676
Gabriel flashed a charming smile when the attractive stranger told him her name. "Elvian?" he repeated to hear how it sounded to say it himself. "That's a beautiful name," he told her. Somehow, the two still ended up going in for a handshake, giving Gabriel chance to acknowledge how soft her hand felt in his. He listened with genuine interest as she told him of her Italian and Romanian roots. "I have yet to visit Romania. Would you say it's a worthwhile place to travel to for leisure?" he curiously asked.

Having thought he might be pushing his luck trying to engage conversation with a woman who had perhaps just needed him to save her from the pushy man, Gabriel had expected Elvian to brush him off once she'd been courteous to listen to him for long enough. However, she continued the conversation by asking him a question. Gabriel turned to face Elvian more directly, now investing himself fully in the woman's company. "I'm from right here in Sicily, where I've lived all of my life. All of my family speak English and Italian. However, my father has many business contacts in Spain and I started learning the language from him a good ten years ago. German would be a much more recent learning exercise," he said, pausing for a moment before deciding to explain his current situation. "As a matter of fact, I'm currently home for a few weeks - on leave from the army. Despite the pride of serving my country, I would much prefer the war to be over so I can return to supporting my father's business... And to spending more evenings out like tonight."

Gabriel finished his drink before suddenly shaking his head. "Where are my manners? Can I offer to buy you a drink, Elvian?" he politely offered her. Either way, he would flag the bartender down to put in another drinks order. "Are you out with friends tonight?" he asked, hoping she hadn't come out alone. No matter how strong she might be, he didn't trust the streets late at night. "I came here with my brother and cousins, but they're far too intoxicated, so I came over here for some sanity," he said with a chuckle. "I'm glad I did now, considering the conversation over here is more interesting." Gabriel was sure if Elvian wished to escape the encounter, she would make it clear and he wouldn't make it difficult for her. Still, there was something about her that made him want to stay in her presence. Not only was she beautiful, but he got the impression there would never be a dull moment with her around.

Last edited:

Elvian Montanari
It was charming, to say the least, hearing him say her name. Almost as if she could get used to him saying it to her. "Why thank you Gabriel. I've grown quite attached to it myself over the years." The thought of Romania brought her into a sort of nostalgic state of being. Taking a deep breath, she started, "Well, under normal circumstances it is a beautiful place and the beaches so serene... But, until this vexatious war is over I assume it's rubble." Even though she was raised in Italy, her family would still take family vacations to Constanta, a beach in Romania. Thinking about the house they used to frequent and how it was more than likely being commandeered. The faraway look in her eyes she quickly blinked away before apologizing. "Anyway, once the world calms down you should visit."

Elvian listened intently as Gabriel gave more information about himself. He was beginning to check off all the things on her parent's list of things, such as being Italian. She herself could care less, as there was so much more to a person besides where they were born. Thoughts of her parents aside, she continued to listen as she learned more of this man standing before her. "A military man?" She looked down at his hands and gently took one in her own, tracing the lines with her own fingers. She had noticed how rugged they felt, despite their outward appearance. "I picked up you were some form of a hardworking man. Although, this makes sense now why you carry such an air around you." She stared at him for a moment before clearing her throat, letting go of his hand and creating a small amount of distance between them. Every time she felt herself gravitating towards him, she would subtly back away. "Tell me. What sort of business requires you to have such a talented tongue?"

She accepted the offer of a drink, ordering herself a Fergroni. At the mention of her friends, she rubbed her temples realizing she had left them unattended. "Shoot, I forgot that I did honestly." She quickly turned to look behind her, trying to place the both of them. Easily enough, she caught sight of them, one talking at the bar and the other still dancing. "They're fine." She said, picking up her cup to take a sip before they continued their own conversation. "I wondered what someone like you were doing here. Doesn't quite seem like your place to be."

Gabriel Moretti
~ Club Valentino, Palermo, Sicily, Italy ~
younggabe1-png.766881
Gabriel listened with genuine interest as Elvian spoke of her memories of Romania. "You paint an enticing picture of it. I will be sure to visit one day. I do hope the place you remember has gone unscathed by this war. I'm eager for the whole thing to end soon, too. Let us all return to living our lives." He nodded to confirm she'd heard correctly and he was in the military. When she reached to take one of his hands, he didn't resist as he was curious to see what she was intending to do. He couldn't help but smile as she traced the skin of his hand with her soft fingers. She then cleared her throat before letting go, almost as if she'd caught herself doing something she shouldn't and was moving to correct whatever that was. "An air around me, you say? What do you mean?" he curiously asked, though there was some light humour in his tone.

When she asked about his family's business, he paused as he decided how much to tell a lady who he barely knew. "My family own a lot of businesses in Sicily, especially here in Palermo. It's quite the empire. In fact, my father owns part of this very club," he told her. People in Sicily knew the Moretti family name, even if people rarely spoke of the organised crime aspect of it all. "One day I hope to own my own chain of businesses. For now, the war has halted those plans."

Gabriel couldn't help but laugh when Elvian said she'd forgotten about her friends. "Am I really such interesting company?" he joked. He nodded along when she told him her friends were fine. "Oh, I'm sure they are." He couldn't help but admit her assumption was right about the club not being his choice of venue. "Someone like me? I don't know whether I should take take that as a compliment or if I should be offended," he lightly remarked. "Though you're quite right. As much as we can appreciate live music, I find it all a little too noisy. Not to mention it seems to attract some of the more rowdy customers... my relatives included." His father might own part of the club, but Gabriel preferred their classier establishments. "I find everything sounds better from the balcony seating. Not to mention the view of the ocean from there is quite spectacular."

Gabriel looked around to make sure his brother was still occupied elsewhere and no doubt betraying his dear wife. He was glad to see Francesca wasn't in sight, knowing how his presence would sour the pleasant exchange he was having with Elvian. Interactions with beautiful and interesting women didn't come along very often, so he was keen to continue it. "You know... You mentioned the serene beaches of Romania. Whilst you're here in Palermo, you should visit my favourite spot. Just a fifteen minute walk up from here, there's a beautiful small beach that's surrounded by two cliffs. The tourists tend to miss it because of the lack of bars and restaurants up there, which means it's always relatively quiet and peaceful. You and your friends should try it out," he suggested to her. "It was one of the first places I visited when I got home a few days ago." Gabriel respected his fellow soldiers, but there was rarely opportunity for privacy with them. Palermo highlighted the stark difference and that the break he was having had been long overdue.

Elvian Montanari
She couldn't contain the small laugh that emitted from her throat as she shrugged her shoulders. "You know an air. Very uh, misterioasă și responsabilă. Mysterious and in charge." Out of habit, she pushed a stray hair behind her ear before drinking from her cup again. "It's not a bad thing; you just rarely see it around here lately." She didn't want to offend him, being the greatest company she had for a while, and would hate to miss out on it. If she were, to be honest with herself, she wanted to get to know this stranger more. He had captured her attention for more than a few minutes, a great feat if she were, to be honest. Placing her arm on the bar counter, a chin resting in her palm, she looked him over while listening to him speak. For a moment, she was able to drown out the noise of music and chatter of people around them to focus on what he was saying. He could be rambling for all she cared, she just wanted to hear him talk. "Sounds like you have a lot to look forward to when the helm is passed to you."

Elvian couldn't help but touch his shoulder affectionately. "You are by far the best company I've had in the past few months. Perhaps even year." It was nothing but the truth while she picked up her drink to finish it off. "I didn't mean it as offense, caro. I meant it as more of like... You seem higher than this place. Don't worry, I don't normally frequent nightclubs either. Too many people all sweaty, trying to touch and talk to you; it's too much for me. I'm only here because the world is ending, Mr. Gabriel." She knew she didn't have to tell him about it, seeing as he was a soldier himself. He was on the frontlines, so he had seen it all himself. "Oh, I love the ocean so much. Once all of this is over and I'm done with school, I plan to move to a home where the beach and ocean is my own backyard."

It wasn't until he mentioned Palermo that she perked up some. Almost as if he were reading her mind on the topic of beaches. "Me and my friends?" She turned to look once more towards the girls she had come with. Both were now talking to men, drinks in their hands and having a good time. She bit her lip as she turned back to face her new companion before patting his hand. "I'll be right back." She asked the bartender for two bottles of water before working her way over to her friends. It took a few minutes to give them both water and slip money in their shirts, making sure they had a way back to the hotel. There were hugs and kisses exchanged before she made her way back to Gabriel with a smile on her face. "Take me there. I'm sure it's completely different during the day, but I'd like to see it regardless."

Gabriel Moretti
~ Club Valentino, Palermo, Sicily, Italy ~
younggabe1-png.766881
Gabriel quite liked it when Elvian assessed him as being mysterious and in charge, the second part being something he knew he'd inherited from his father - a leader. He couldn't help but blush as he processed it all as a compliment. "My father always says it's better to stand out in this world rather than blend in like a sheep." He smiled and nodded his head when she mentioned him eventually taking the helm. As it stood, Francesco was the family's favourite, simply by being the first born alone. Gabriel loved his brother dearly, but he felt Francesco's hedonism and self-indulgent ways could jeapordise him following in their father's footsteps. For now, however, the heir was the golden child. Gabriel remained of the belief that his own hard work and patience would pay off one day.

Gabriel's eyes briefly looked to Elvian's arm as she touched his shoulder. The gesture, followed by her saying he'd been the best company she'd had in quite a while, made him even more keen to spend time in the woman's company. He may have only just met her at the bar, but there was something beyond the woman's undeniable beauty that was drawing Gabriel in. Usually so controlled, Elvian was managing to make his heart race in his chest and his cheeks flush to a rosy red tint. He chuckled as she decribed their current surroundings as sweaty and too much. "I'll be sure to pass the feedback on to my father," he joked. "I think you're too good for this club. In my opinion, you would suit somewhere more classy with fine wines and perhaps tasteful music being played on a grand piano," he went along with her comments. "If the world really is ending, then don't settle for this," he said, opening out his arms to gesture to the club. He wasn't saying it to impress her or get into her good books. If she were his girlfriend, a classy place was the kind of place he would take her to and he'd want her to feel like the most important person in the room.

When Elvian excused herself, Gabriel wasn't sure what to make of it. He observed as she purchased some water from the bar and handed them to her friends, along with some money. He took a drink from his glass, making it less obvious he had been watching her as she hugged her friends and then returned to him. When she did return, she asked him to take her to the secluded beach he'd told her about. He placed his glass down on the bar and opened his eyes wider as he studied her face. She wasn't drunk and she seemed to have her head screwed on, so he was certain she was completely comfortable walking alone with a man she'd just met. "Have you told your friends where we're going? I mean... As long as you're sure. I don't want them to think you're being swept away by some rogue," he remarked.

After telling his cousins he was done with the club for the night, Gabriel escorted Elvian outside. It was a warm evening, with a slight breeze in the air - perfect conditions for a night-time walk to the beach. Gabriel made sure to keep close to Elvian's side. The town was pretty peaceful and if anyone was to feel safe out there at night, it was the Moretti family. Still, in the present circumstances, he felt an unfamiliar need to be cautious and he supposed protective over the woman's safety.

"You come across as quite a strong and forward woman, Elvian," he told her as they walked together. "I have to say, I admire that. I also think that perhaps you are... how do I put it? Protective and caring. I saw you giving your friends water and money, which I found quite endearing," he admitted to her, with a warm smile. Now they were away from the noise and crowd, he was able to focus more on the woman beside him. His thoughts no longer being distracted. "If I may be so bold," he began, pausing as he debated on whether to continue. "I think you are a beautiful and interesting woman. I feel quite honoured to be spending my evening with you. But I must ask. With all of the other men in the club, what compelled you to wish to come out here with me?"

Elvian Montanari
Elvian was taken off guard a bit, his compliment something she hadn't seen coming. She had never heard anyone say something along those lines to her and definitely never in a club. Sure, the usual "You're too pretty for this club" was a common pick up line but the meaning behind it wasn't as pure as Gabriel's had been. His was more sincere, his words holding more sincerity than she had heard before. She smiled at him and bit her lip, tapping her finger on the bar. "You're putting me in a very classy bracket there, Gabriel." El didn't know what to make of this male she hadn't blown off. He was a smooth talker but knew he was genuine in what he was saying. Her gut was giving her no bad signs on him, and if she were, to be honest, she was getting butterflies.

Her friends feigned disappointment at her leaving as if they weren't preoccupied with the entertainment they found. They knew the drill, however, when she gave them water and money. Just as a small threat, she turned to the men her friends were with nodded her head in Gabe's direction. Either he looked tough enough to them or they knew him and his reputation, as they now understood not to do anything stupid. Once she made her way back over to Gabe, she put her hands in her pockets. "They're fine. I told them since the world is ending, I wanted to do something reckless. They were very keen to hear that."

A part of her was nervous, as she didn't know what to make of this man or this night they were about to have. It felt okay to be with this stranger, despite only knowing him for all of under an hour. She figured if he were a slimeball, she would have seen it before this moment or he would have tripped up and shown her who he really was. Luckily, the blade she always kept in her pocket was within reach should he decided to suddenly change. But, something told her she wouldn't need to use it tonight; at least on him. His voice made her come back down to Earth. She chuckled at his comment.

"Well, I have to be. Otherwise, there's a lot of beating around the bush and games being played. To be quite frank, I don't have much time for it. As for my friends, they're crazy and irresponsible so I have to take care of them. I don't mind it at all considering every group has one." His next question caught her off-guard. The night was helping her conceal her red cheeks as he complimented her more. She shrugged her shoulders, not sure how to answer. "If I'm honest, I have no idea. You're not bad to stare at, you seem to have the purest intentions, and you're a gentleman. I normally don't even go this far with most men... But you, Mr. Gabriel, are quite intriguing."

Gabriel Moretti
~ Palermo, Sicily, Italy ~​

younggabe1-png.766881
Gabriel couldn't help but chuckle at Elvian's answer about why she chose to walk with him when there had been dozens of other men inside the club. "I'm not bad to stare at?" he repeated her words. "Now that's... that's a relief, I guess. I'm glad I don't offend your eyes," he joked. His smile softened when she called him a gentleman. It was something that set him apart from his brother and some of their friends. Gabriel wasn't one for sleeping around and having wandering eyes. He believed in loyalty and committing to just one woman, even if it hadn't ever earned him any street cred within his group. "I believe in treating a lady with respect, Elvian. I'm glad you trust me enough to let me accompany you tonight. I feel quite honoured to spend my evening in such good company. This is certainly better than I expected my night to go."

After walking a little while longer, they reached the sandy footpath that led down to the secluded beach. Having scanned their surroundings, Gabriel signalled for them divert from the main street and head down the pathway. The nearby streetlights kept their path dimly lit but it was the light from the full moon that kept the beach peacefully illuminated. The night's high tide had drawn in, limiting how far they could walk down the beach without getting their feet and legs wet, but Gabriel knew the perfect spot would be still be free of water. "This way," he said, leading her along the beach a little until they reached the large 2ft high rock. He took a couple of steps up onto the platform before outstretching his arms towards Elvian so he could take her hands to help her climb up with him.

They two were able to sit alongside each other on the rock and look out across the sea. The moon's reflection shimmered across the water as the gentle sounds of the waves rolling in created a serene atmosphere around them. As he'd expected, they appeared to be the only ones on the small beach. "Are you comfortable?" he softly asked Elvian, briefly placing his hand lightly on her upper back but soon retracting so as not to make her feel awkward. "I've sat in this spot many times before, albeit without someone as beautiful as you next to me." He paused as he looked at the view for another moment before continuing. "My father was always too busy with business to take us all on a family vacation, so the best we'd get was the odd afternoon out to this beach. I didn't really appreciate this place when I was a child. There weren't any fun attractions or ice-cream stands on this beach even back then. It wasn't the ideal holiday destination for a child," he remarked. "But over the last few years, I've grown to appreciate being here. It's peaceful and relaxing - an escape from the crowded beaches we just walked away from," he explained. He looked to Elvian, his eyes meeting hers for a brief moment as he flashed an almost shy smile. "How long are you here for?" he asked her. Whilst he expected their evening together was likely a one-off and Elvian was probably just passing through the area, for some reason he deep down hoped she would be around for at least a few more days. That perhaps they might bump into each other again during her visit.

Elvian Montanari
"I agree," she said in terms of their night. "If I'm, to be honest, I thought I would spend all night batting off disgusting men or dragging my friends out of the club. And if I didn't say it before, thank you for being the kind of gentleman that would save a lady from those types of men. There's not enough of them like you." It was her honest assessment, giving him a small smile when she finished speaking. "But yes you are quite attractive which is what drew me to you in the first place." There was a slight pause as she realized how that could make her sound like all she cared about was looks. "Ah, not that looks are the only reason why I'm out with you in the first place. I like talking to you as well." He made her nervous, that much was for sure and it was truly a first for her.

Once they neared their destination, Elvian began to rethink some things. This guy wasn't some charming serial killer, right? You wouldn't be able to tell if he were anyway. Yet, something in her told her she could trust him and that he wasn't going to cause her any kind of harm. He was to be trusted, even if she couldn't justify the reason why. As he led her to secret getaway, she couldn't help but wonder exactly how much sand she was going to find in place they shouldn't be. It was strange how even though you could simply be walking in the sand, you could still find some in places like your ears. However, she was hoping this strange new acquaintance would make it all worth the struggle.

Once they were sat together, she felt his hand against her back and surprisingly relaxed. It was disappointing when he removed his hand but she was sure there could be more of that in the future. "Indeed I am, thank you." She couldn't help but take in the view they were sat in front of. Despite it being dark out, the moon was shining quite brightly and the waves crashing were loud enough to set the scene. She smiled when he began to engage in conversation with her, telling more about himself. It was nice to hear about other people for once. Not to say all she ever did was talk about herself, but she never really got the chance to get to know someone else before they bored her. This time around, she wasn't the slightest bit bored. He was very interesting and all she wanted to do was listen to him talk. Which, again, was a first for her. "While I'm sad to hear that you didn't get the time you wanted as a kid, it's good you found something good of it. My mother always tells me that beneath the bad stuff in this world is always something worth cherishing." When he asked how long she was here, she shrugged. "I do believe we're supposed to leave Monday morning but I don't know," she said, giving him a sly smile, "I'm having a lot of fun with my new friend so we may extend our vacation a while longer."

Gabriel Moretti
~ Palermo, Sicily, Italy ~​

younggabe1-png.766881
Gabriel couldn't help but smile when Elvian recalled her mother's words about there always being something worth cherishing. "That sounds like a nice outlook to have. I'll have to remember that one," he said, nodding his head as he looked out across the water.

When Elvian said she was due to leave in only a couple of days, on Monday, Gabriel found himself surprisingly disappointed considering he'd only just met the woman a short time ago. He looked to her and caught the sly smile she was displaying. He couldn't help but chuckle as she suggested extending her vacation on account of having fun with him. "I definitely recommend you stay longer. You can't possibly have seen enough of Palermo just yet. In fact, I think you need a tour guide to show you around this place." He looked to Elvian, taking in her beautiful face beneath the moonlight before his eyes met hers. "Would you happen to have plans tomorrow? I would very much like to take you out for lunch and maybe after that, I can be your personal tour guide for the afternoon. I'm having quite a lot of fun with you too," he told her. Were it not nighttime, Elvian might have seen Gabriel's cheeks turn a shade of red as he blushed. It was perhaps also the fact it was dark and that they'd only just met that stopped him from instinctively placing his arm around her. He didn't want to overstep his boundaries. Still, there was something about the woman that was drawing him in and he felt he'd be an idiot not to see her again. "It's not every day I meet a woman as interesting and attractive as you. I'm keen to learn more about you."

Elvian Montanari
At some point in the night, Elvian had made note of how close they were and how he had not touched her. If she were, to be honest, it was quite nice that he hadn't. He was nothing but a pure gentleman, which was something she had never been used to in the past. All the more reason to like him. Oh geez I do like him don't I? she thought to herself as she started playing with her hair. She was nervous for sure, which was a sign she may have been catching feelings for him in the short time they had spent together. That part was scary, falling for someone so fast, but she was going to try not to get too attached. He was in the military after all, who knew if she would ever see him again?"

"A tour guide huh?" She giggled, softly nudging his shoulder with hers. The offer wasn't something she was going to pass up on, especially if it meant she would be able to hang out with Gabriel more. She looked up at him and smiled, listening to him talk. Elvian was feeling like a schoolgirl as she looked at her nighttime companion. Something wanted him to kiss her or something, but she knew he wouldn't dare do that right now... Right? He was far too polite to just go in and kiss her and she couldn't complain about that. She wasn't going to complain about that because she wanted him to be comfortable with their interactions too. "I do not have plans for tomorrow, so I would love to go to lunch. I can take care of the travel plans and whatnot in the morning so I'm free for you." She looked down again, breaking their gaze as her heart started beating fast again and she needed to calm it down. The compliments were more than welcome, but she didn't count on them making her feel so giddy.

"The feeling is very mutual..." She paused for a moment, trying to wonder if she should say something about her feelings before deciding she would. "I know we just met and whatnot, but you are a very interesting man, Gabriel Moretti, and it is making me behave in such a profound way. It's hard to explain..." She bit her lips before shaking her head, unable to contain her laughter. "I guess, really, it's because I like you..." She put up her hand and put her thumb and index finger a small amount of space away from each other. "This much." She joked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back